Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: John Carpenter returns to Halloween

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

John Carpenter returns to Halloween

Well, only as executive producer, but I'm still excited.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodReporter.com
    John Carpenter Partners With Jason Blum on New 'Halloween' Movie

"Thirty-eight years after the original 'Halloween,' I’m going to help to try to make the 10th sequel the scariest of them all," said the director behind the original film.

John Carpenter is getting back into the Halloween spirit with a little help from Jason Blum.

Carpenter will executive produce the new addition to the franchise, which will be produced by Blum under his Blumhouse banner. Malek Akkad (2007's Halloween) will also serve as a producer through his Trancas banner.

The new movie will be co-financed by Blumhouse and Miramax, which holds the worldwide distribution rights. David Thwaites will oversee the project for Miramax.

“Thirty-eight years after the original Halloween, I’m going to help to try to make the 10th sequel the scariest of them all,” said Carpenter.

Added Blum: “Halloween is one of those milestone films that inspired everyone at our company to get into the world of scary movies. The great Malek Akkad and John Carpenter have a special place in the hearts of all genre fans, and we are so excited that Miramax brought us together."

Bringing Carpenter and Blum together means the new Halloween movie will be old-school horror meets new-school scares.

Aside from launching the Halloween films, the horror savant is responsible for classics like The Thing and Village of the Damned. Blum is responsible for modern horror franchises like Insidious and Paranormal Activity and this summer will release The Purge: Election Year.

Carpenter is repped by APA and Stankevich.
    Blumhouse has a pretty good track record. It sounds like Mike Flanagan who directed Oculus and Hush (which I enjoyed) is going to direct this new installment.

The original Halloween is one of my favorite films, so I'd really like to see a sequel or a reboot that isn't trash.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the first Halloween that Rob did was decent but didn't much care for his sequel. As it stands the first two Halloween movies are by far my favorite and it's very exciting to have John back in any capacity.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Apparently Carpenter is in talks to score the fim as well. That alone excites me.

Rob Zombie's trailer trash interpretation was heinous. Take your wife and fuck off. I've said it before, but Zombie is the type of dipshit who lionizes his despicable villains. No, dummy, I have no sympathy for your vile white trash characters. The Bonnie and Clyde ending of The Devil's Rejects with Freebird playing is so on-the-nose and obnoxious.

The original Halloween II is pretty underrated, in my opinion. It's not saying much, but I can't think off a better horror movie sequel.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    I am looking forward to see it as a sequel. Halloween III was such a misfire. H20 wasn't bad and if they kept the end as cannon, I would be ok with that. It would be neat instead of doing in in the 2010s, they go back to the 70s and 80s.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked Halloween III as it's own story. The franchise was meant to be an anthology, with different stories... but the people wanted more Myers. III was a decent film to keep us on ice until Michael's return.

And I never speak highly of Zombie's films. I was excited at first because I feel he gets horror... he gets it... but he just has very poor taste in how he executes it. I didn't care about Michael when he was a kid... I've never liked any of his characters... and his dialogue is so painful to listen to. Fuckin' this and fuckin' that, it makes me want to turn the sound off. And as for Rejects, I never understood the love for it. The main characters were inhuman. Evil. I wanted them to get their comeuppance, but they were treated like they were just a loving family. Fuck that.

Zombie knows how to shoot films, there's no doubting that. But his style is just so bad. And Carpenter coming back on may be a breath of fresh air. It's so insane how these days we get these execs that want to bring back a classic horror franchise, but they've all been so... bland. So generic. Friday the 13th was completely forgettable, as was Nightmare on Elm Street. Halloween is the one I cherish dearly, and this will be the last chance before it fades away into the wind. Let's make this one decent at least. Is that so hard to ask?
    Last edited by VHS; September 20th, 2018 at 3:00 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Halloween III is garbage for the most part. The score is good, though.

Banned
    Smoking Meth and cuddling with an Armenian Gender Queer on a broken couch inside of an abandoned abortion clinic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iraq
    I'm glad that the abandoned "Halloween: Returns"- movie involving Double M on death row was scrapped once Dimension lost the rights to the franchise-- and that Rob Zombie's white trash, bastardized versions of the film were mercifully discontinued after two abortions of attempts to revive it... I'm just not that familiar with the new director's films to make an estimated guess on whether he is a good fit for the Halloween franchise or not.

Though... I must admit that "Hush" appears to be a good suspense movie-- which is what made John Carpenter's Halloween such an amazing movie. I just hope that since he's signed on as a producer, this means that he will have some sort of a creative control over it-- outside of the musical score... which is certainly promising news; it goes without saying that the original musical score is what gave it that "Jack-in-the-box" - feel that cranked the tension to an all-time high.

Growing up in the golden age of horror; with franchises like "A Nightmare On Elm Street"; "Friday The 13th"; "Halloween"; "Hellraiser," etc... going strong-- I have certainly missed seeing that kooky Myers cat on the big screen.

My only complaint, is that I was holding out hopes of either Carpenter directing-- or Ti West.

I'll be more positive about things once I check out some of the new director's movies.
    Last edited by Slutty McWhoreface; May 24th, 2016 at 8:33 PM.

Banned
    Smoking Meth and cuddling with an Armenian Gender Queer on a broken couch inside of an abandoned abortion clinic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iraq
    Halloween III was a damned good standalone movie.

they just should have called it something else.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Hush is a good cat-and-mouse thriller. It's on Netflix, so I definitely suggest giving it a watch.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Normally, I'd be excited, but the word reboot is like a warning, and this has already been remade recently. Second will he really be involved or is he just letting them use his name in exchange for a check? If it's a reboot then I don't care much, but...

H40, anyone? If this is a semi-sequel, and both Carpenter and Curtis are involved... then let's cross our fingers that they do pull it right.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Why would you want a straight sequel? They'd have to acknowledge how old Michael is.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interested to see what direction this takes. Is it another reboot? Feel like it really has to be, there's nothing to build on from the previous movies in either timeline.

I'm not a huge horror movie guy but always had an affinity for the Halloween series. It's probably because H2O came out when I was a kid and the trailers scared the fuck out of me. And then every October I'd watch them on AMC.

I was into the first Zombie movie as they were telling the origin, then lost interest when it jumped forward and they had to try to do the whole original movie in like an hour. To me there are two terrifying elements to Michael Meyers: The idea that he's just innately evil (stabbing his sister when he's wearing the clown suit stands out as something genuinely terrifying, same with Damion) and as an adult that he's just so unstoppable. He'll just keep coming, he can't be killed. So in some ways digging into the backstory and giving him motive humanizes him too much, but I always liked the story arc they stitched together with the Black Thorn, the Man in Black, that stuff. To me some of the best and scariest stuff in the movies were the little vignettes from the beginning and endings: Him falling into the well and being nursed back to health by the hermit in the woods, the Man in Black bombing the police station and kidnapping the girl, and Jamie being held and forced to give birth by the dark cult in whichever one that is. They don't make much attempt to explain what the fuck is going on because it's so horrifically surreal that she's being held by this cult that has doctors, nurses, and a hospital.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Giving Michael Myers an origin story is bone headed. It should be left up to the viewer.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Michael just being evil without a backstory is fine. Not everyone needs a two hour origin film to explain everything. I stayed away from the Zombie films, because of that. Nothing against Rob, I just think anyone attempting that is asking for trouble. I wouldn't mind an H40 or just going back to the source material look at Downy in Civil War, do that for Curtis for about an hour of the film then fast forward to the future.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iraq
    As cool as part 6 was with the whole "Thorn" storyline, I much prefer the mysterious Shape background from the original.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I expect to see Kurt in there

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Kurt Russell? Apparently he was supposed to be the guy that gets pinned to the wall in the original, but I'm not totally sure about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carpenter was basically the only thing that would interest me going forward after RZH2, because with Carpenter, it'd be a straight sequel or maybe even something brand new like H3. Yet it seems he's only going to be EP here and score the film.

That said, im also going to use caution. Romero hasn't been the greatest later in his career, Carpenter has actually fizzled a bit himself and Craven didn't have much going on before his passing on. Sean Cunningham loves Mrs. Voorhees but hates Jason Voorhees, but he's sure willing to keep making easy coin off him. Basically all the old school directors from decades back...have well...gotten old and haven't made good movies in a good long time. So some caution is warranted.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Carpenter hasn't done anything decent for a long long time i don't get why the excitement when he has probably only took a cheque to give his name to this so Halloween fans don't get all pissy about a reboot / remake.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    He basically said he's shepherding the movie. At the very least, it sounds like he's deviating from his normal "Just pay me and fuck off" attitude. Carpenter might not be the master that he once was, but he's still a good guy to bounce ideas off of.

This sounds promising:

https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/16...ext-halloween/

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer-Belly View Post
    Why would you want a straight sequel? They'd have to acknowledge how old Michael is.
    Why can't it be a sequel that takes place after Resurrection? There was never any closure to the Michael Myers story. They could make a direct sequel that ties things together but stick to the roots of what made the first two so good. it doesn't have to take place in present day.

Mentioned
    443 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Eh, Michael Myers would be 59 today, that's doable to kill people.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Eh, Michael Myers would be 59 today, that's doable to kill people.
    No shit. Sly Stallone is like 79 and he's still easily putting fools to rest.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PurePlayer View Post
    Why can't it be a sequel that takes place after Resurrection? There was never any closure to the Michael Myers story. They could make a direct sequel that ties things together but stick to the roots of what made the first two so good. it doesn't have to take place in present day.
    I'd rather have a sequel to Resurrection. Regardless of how that movie was, I'd rather see what continued in the original franchise of the movie. I wouldn't want to see a sequel that has anything to do with Zombie's world of Halloween. Texas Chainsaw 3D, whatever you thought of it, went back as a sequel to the original franchise. Why can't Halloween?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    David Gordon Green and Danny McBride are writing and directing the next Halloween...

http://www.slashfilm.com/david-gordo...lloween-movie/

I almost don't know what to make of this, but I'm fucking in. David Gordon Green is a genuinely great director. This announcement will stir up some skepticism, but I think these two guys will be able to pull this off.
    Last edited by Beer-Belly; February 9th, 2017 at 9:26 PM.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgot this was happening. Any details on the plot yet?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    They just announced this new creative team, so there aren't any plot details yet. I'd assume it will be a very back to basics approach considering what Carpenter has said.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the idea of Green doing a horror movie, but McBride as a writer? Eh.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just don't even.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it's going to be like a comedy?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by VHS View Post
    I just don't even.
    Did you read the article? Perhaps you should attempt to watch some of David Gordon Green's films. He's a diverse filmmaker.

A mother fucking insightful view as always, by the way.
    Last edited by Beer-Belly; February 10th, 2017 at 3:38 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    Are you being deliberately obtuse?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Comedy and horror are not that different...
    You have to build anticipation, master tension, misdirect, nail surprises, elicit a visceral emotional response, and deal with dark realities...
    Knowing what is funny also helps you avoid being unintentionally funny...

William Peter Blatty was a comedy writer in Hollywood, and that guy wrote The Exorcist...
    Before Bill Lancaster wrote The Thing, he wrote the Bad News Bears films...

It does depend on the intention of Green and McBride...
    I'm not saying it will work, but it's not something to dismiss out of hand...
    It could work... maybe...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I agree.

I'd be more assured if they had a female writer on board. Carpenter and Debra Hill wrote the original film with together and it made the female characters seem real. Caricatures maybe, but I still felt like they were familiar. They weren't stock characters that you wanted to see get violently killed.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you read the article? Perhaps you should attempt to watch some of David Gordon Green's films. He's a diverse filmmaker.

A mother fucking insightful view as always, by the way.
    I'm well aware of Green's portfolio. Still a very odd choice.

I'm Spinning Around! sam_elmendorf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's your way of saying you didn't read the article. Read it man! I think we may all be pleasantly suprised by this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    of course it's gonna be a comedy. Haven't you heard the rumor yet?! Alien:Convenant is secretly a comedy, but Danny M asked them to make a fake trailer to fuck with people. It's gonna be like Brodus Clay all over again... twice!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I'm well aware of Green's portfolio. Still a very odd choice.
    Out of left field choice? Definitely. I 100% percent understand the skepticism that comes with Danny McBride being a writer here. I feel pretty confident in saying that this won't be a stoner comedy with Michael Myers in it.

Mentioned
    443 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Surely Carpenter is there to keep them in check. I have nothing but high hopes for this film.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My reaction at seeing this was "what?" Even if it sucks then hopefully Carpenter does indeed do the score, because that will be awesome.

I'd like it to be a continuation of the original concept. Set it in present day or whenever, I have no problem with an old man Myers, as he's not human anyway. Don't have it be a gorefest and play up the constant tension of Myers basically being everywhere at all times. Hopefully it's heavy on atmosphere and nails the visual aspect. They could look to It Follows on how to recreate that type of feel and look.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out of left field choice? Definitely. I 100% percent understand the skepticism that comes with Danny McBride being a writer here. I feel pretty confident in saying that this won't be a stoner comedy with Michael Myers in it.
    It's not that it'll be a stoner comedy... that's not McBride's thing really. His style of writing is mostly shoot from the hip, improvised one liners.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its interesting this is still happening, considering the latest reports indicate Paramount axed the F13 origin movie. Just seems like a down time for the slasher sub genre.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also think you have to realize that just because someone is more known for comedy doesn't mean that they don't have any interests outside of comedy. I love comedies, but I'm a much bigger horror movie fan. I remember years ago, Arnold Schwarzenegger wanted to really do Shakespeare and that's why they have that scene in Last Action Hero where it's a mock of Othello or Hamlet I can't remember off the top of my head. Vin Diesel said he's a big fan of romance/drama movies from the 20's, 30's, and 40's over any other genre. McBride might have made his name doing comedies but he could be a giant horror movie buff. I'm not sure what he's written in the past but I'm open to see what he can do.

The only thing that has me on the fence is I get worried they're not going to stick to the pre-Rob Zombie Halloween movies. I'm a stickler for continuation especially when people from the original movies are involved. Everyone wants to put their own stamp on something and tell their own version. I honestly only liked the Zombie movies because I think Sheri Moon Zombie in any form is great and so is Danielle Harris, and that was odd too considering she played Jamie Loyd in 4 and 5 but in the Zombie movies she's Lori's friend. Fucking hot too, good lord. Can't believe she's going to be 40 this year.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    It's not that it'll be a stoner comedy... that's not McBride's thing really. His style of writing is mostly shoot from the hip, improvised one liners.
    I don't think that's necessarily true. At least, not all the time. Eastbound and Down and Vice Principals have ad libs, but plenty of that dialogue is scripted.

On another note, McBride recently stated that this film won't be a reboot and will mainly focus on the following the story from the first two movies. That makes me wonder if this will be a ghost story considering Michael is a burning corpse at the end of the second film.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Um, you're not serious are you?! You do know the original series continued from the first 2 with 4 through the last one before Zombies films. If the original series could explain Myers & Loomis surviving the fire, surely this could too.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    On another note, McBride recently stated that this film won't be a reboot and will mainly focus on the following the story from the first two movies.
    So it's a superman-returns-quel...

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That entertains me since they already did that with H20.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by sam_elmendorf View Post
    Um, you're not serious are you?! You do know the original series continued from the first 2 with 4 through the last one before Zombies films. If the original series could explain Myers & Loomis surviving the fire, surely this could too.
    4 and 5 also had a psychic little girl in them. Halloween's always had some supernatural elements to it, but 1 and 2 were less outlandish than 4 and 5. Danny McBride said they're aiming for a more grounded approach. That actually flies in the face of my theory that this could be somewhat of a ghost story.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Casey View Post
    So it's a superman-returns-quel...
    Let's hope it turns out a little better than Superman Returns.

Quote Originally Posted by The Law View Post
    That entertains me since they already did that with H20.
    Honestly, I wish Green and McBride ignored Halloween 2 as well. The "Laurie's his sister" twist tied an anchor to the mythology's ass and even Carpenter admits it was a lazy choice.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Casey View Post
    Comedy and horror are not that different...
    You have to build anticipation, master tension, misdirect, nail surprises, elicit a visceral emotional response, and deal with dark realities...
    Knowing what is funny also helps you avoid being unintentionally funny...

William Peter Blatty was a comedy writer in Hollywood, and that guy wrote The Exorcist...
    Before Bill Lancaster wrote The Thing, he wrote the Bad News Bears films...

It does depend on the intention of Green and McBride...
    I'm not saying it will work, but it's not something to dismiss out of hand...
    It could work... maybe...
    Jordan Peele of Key & Peele just directed a horror film called Get Out and he recently commented on going from comedy to horror in an AMA on Reddit:

How did it feel switching to the horror genre? Horror is my favorite genre. I think comedy and horror are very closely related. They’re both about grounding absurdity. So that just means applying whatever crazy notion you have to reality. They also are about timing. So it was a pretty natural fit for me.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think that's necessarily true. At least, not all the time. Eastbound and Down and Vice Principals have ad libs, but plenty of that dialogue is scripted.

On another note, McBride recently stated that this film won't be a reboot and will mainly focus on the following the story from the first two movies. That makes me wonder if this will be a ghost story considering Michael is a burning corpse at the end of the second film.
    Ok, look at Danny's actual writing credit: Foot Fist Way... Your Highness... Eastbound... a Tenacious D music video... Vice Principals... that's not the best track record for writing meaningful dialogue. Not all the time? I'd say quite most of the time.

Jordan Peele of Key & Peele just directed a horror film called Get Out and he recently commented on going from comedy to horror in an AMA on Reddit:
    Different people, different movie. Just because they're comedians as well doesn't make Danny McBride any better of a candidate to write Halloween.
    Last edited by VHS; September 20th, 2018 at 3:01 PM.

The Stale Smell of Excess Jimmy Zero's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, look at Danny's actual writing credit: Foot Fist Way... Your Highness... Eastbound... a Tenacious D music video... Vince Principals... that's not the best track record for writing meaningful dialogue. Not all the time? I'd say quite most of the time.
    Who gives a shit about meaningful dialog in a Halloween movie?

Not like it matters, anyways. This movie is going to suck. Just like pretty much everything John Carpenter has been involved with since the late-80s.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Zero View Post

Not like it matters, anyways. This movie is going to suck. Just like pretty much everything John Carpenter has been involved with since the late-80s.
    You swore by It Follows. That movie stinks. I watched again it on Netflix recently, and boy is it not good. Give me The Witch any day of the week over that putrescent pig shit.

The Stale Smell of Excess Jimmy Zero's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It Follows was dope, but yeah the Witch was better.

Still doesn't change the fact that almost everything John Carpenter has had any involvement with since They Live is absolute garbage.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Zero View Post

Come on.

Last edited by VHS; February 13th, 2017 at 11:22 PM.

Mentioned
    443 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Vampires was great you're a lunatic Jimmy Zero

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I thought In the Mouth of Madness was pretty solid. That came out in '94. Anyway, John Carpenter is just a consultant on this new movie.

What is "meaningful dialogue" anyway? It's not like McBride is going this alone. He has David Gordon Green with him, and I think Green has proven himself beyond being a comedy guy.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iraq
    It Follows was hot garbage. It was more of a dark comedy to me than anything else.

hearing all of these millennials talk-it-up like it reinvented the horror movie wheel is fucking hilarious.

Meaningful dialogue was everything in the original Halloween. that's why the majority of the sequels were shit; They got lazy with the script.

I just hope that McBride and company do right by the original.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first Halloween is ground breaking, more of a thriller because back then the slasher genre as we know it didn't really formulate until after Halloween. So people weren't really making the type of movies that came after Halloween and Friday the 13th, I mean you go back and neither iconic slashers are in their celebrity form so to speak.

I didn't even know Debra Hill died Only 54....

Meh
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come on.

Fuck yes VHS. I love that scene. Gives me chills every time. The delivery is amazing, and the timing where the little piano score creeps in is perfect.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    So....I am ok with those H20 movies not happening if they can nail this. To be fair, I liked H20.

Mentioned
    443 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    H20 was a very solid movie, but Resurrection...what were they thinking?

Halloween (1978), Halloween II and H20 I would recommend, the rest is just...no.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Resurrection was not good, at all. It's been almost impossible for me to find a quality slasher icon movie that hasn't failed miserably for me in almost 20 years. Freddy v. Jason, the Rob Zombie Halloweens, the last 2 Chucky movies, the last 7 Hellraiser movies, the list goes on. Something happened after the movie Scream came out where these iconic slashers just couldn't get the job done. Some might say that Friday the 13th 7 or Elm Street 5 were shitty, but in comparison to what has dropped since the late 90's, as I said really after Scream came out it's been pretty fucking terrible and made those once shit on cult classics seem like Schindler's List.

Mentioned
    443 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I didn't mind Curse of Chucky, I thought it was in the same vein as the first three. Much better than Seed of Chucky or Bride of Chucky.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I'm so fucking stoked for this. My only concern is how they pick up after Halloween II considering Michael is blind and blown up by the end of the film.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm so fucking stoked for this. My only concern is how they pick up after Halloween II considering Michael is blind and blown up by the end of the film.
    See above...

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Being a theater of die hard fans for Freddy vs. Jason was nuts. It was like a big time fight with people picking sides. That alone makes it a good flick.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Now it kind of seems like this film will be disregarding everything after the first Halloween.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoyed FvJ very much! It was like a big fight feel in the theater for me too. The only thing I didn't like, Kane Hodder was more than game to do the film, but the director wanted someone who towered over Freddy and didn't think Kane would follow his direction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now it kind of seems like this film will be disregarding everything after the first Halloween.
    Where did you read that?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going into the trailer fairly skeptical but I instantly got intrigued when I saw the Blumhouse logo. They've really got their act together. This looks like it could be pretty cool.

Mentioned
    443 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I was excited but after seeing that trailer not so much. I'll still see it though.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by A Monster Among Posters View Post
    I was excited but after seeing that trailer not so much. I'll still see it though.
    I hate you.

Mentioned
    443 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Ok.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mozambique
    That trailer was fucking badass.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great. Cool that Danny McBride is one of the filmmakers. He is a talented writer and Vice Principals had some elements of a thriller. Seems like a good fit for him to move into horror for this one.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have literally been waiting a week for this trailer. I was almost giddy before I hit play. And for me, it delivered. I like all the little tributes to the Halloween movies like the bathroom scene from H20, the little kids running into Myers like in the original, the sketch of Loomis, Laurie trying to stab Michael and him grabbing her hand reminded me of her death in H8, and I think I'm forgetting some. They didn't try and hide the fact that Michael and Laurie have aged, which is cool to me because I know plenty of people who are their age and aren't using walkers and sitting on benches feeding the ducks. Laurie gives me a Sarah Connor vibe. My only issue is just the name "Halloween" it's kinda odd to me that you'd name a sequel the same as the original but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. I'm totally pumped and now October seems like it's 4 years away instead of 4 months.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I'm backstage at PCW Ultra and the wrestlers were saying the new Halloween trailer was out. I dropped everything so I could watch this in seclusion w/ my headphones on. I watched it and... this delivered. Halloween is probably one of my favorite franchises, even through the dreadfulness of H20 thru Zombie's H2. When it was announced that McBride was involved in this and Blumhouse was producing it I immediately knew this was going to suck. But in the blink of an eye we've come to find out that comedians are damn good writers and Blumhouse has definitely gotten their shit together w/ their titles. The trailer hooked me and I'll be there opening night.

I'm glad I was wrong about this.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Ok.
    I'm kidding, hoss. You're good people.

I got chills when Michael dropped those teeth.

Most of my friends aren't big horror movie fans, but even they admitted that the trailer was really cool.

I'm incredibly hyped for this movie, but I also won't be upset if it turns out to be a pastiche of the past films. That's fine by me.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    Looks great. Cool that Danny McBride is one of the filmmakers. He is a talented writer and Vice Principals had some elements of a thriller. Seems like a good fit for him to move into horror for this one.
    You should look into a movie called Arizona that comes out later this year. It's a dark comedy/thriller that has McBride going on a killing spree after he loses everything because of the 2008 housing crisis. The reviews are really mixed, but it sounds like exactly the type of bonkers idea I could get into.

Mentioned
    443 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Most of my friends aren't big horror movie fans, but even they admitted that the trailer was really cool.

I'm incredibly hyped for this movie, but I also won't be upset if it turns out to be a pastiche of the past films. That's fine by me.
    If I had to pick one movie to ever see for the rest of my life, the original Halloween would be it. I didn't mind the sequels, I thought II was enjoyable and III as well for the original story idea. IV, V, and VI are meh, H20 was decent, it was the first Halloween film I saw in theaters and it was really fun. Resurrection was awful, as were the two Rob Zombie films. I'm a bit skeptical of this one, and with the hype surrounding it, I'm worried it will be a let down. I hope to be wrong.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The teeth dropping was one of the creepiest things I've seen in a trailer in a long time. Trailer looks bad ass and I'm looking forward to the movie.

Mentioned
    363 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This looks like it could be pretty good.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    If I had to pick one movie to ever see for the rest of my life, the original Halloween would be it. I didn't mind the sequels, I thought II was enjoyable and III as well for the original story idea. IV, V, and VI are meh, H20 was decent, it was the first Halloween film I saw in theaters and it was really fun. Resurrection was awful, as were the two Rob Zombie films. I'm a bit skeptical of this one, and with the hype surrounding it, I'm worried it will be a let down. I hope to be wrong.
    Halloween 2 was my favorite when I was a kid. The hospital setting is genuinely creepy. Making Michael and Laurie relatives was a cop-out, though. John Carpenter regrets that decision. It undercuts what makes Michael Myers so scary. I'm really not sure why he made the decision to make them related. The Shape is terrifying because he can focus on anyone.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAle View Post
    The teeth dropping was one of the creepiest things I've seen in a trailer in a long time. Trailer looks bad ass and I'm looking forward to the movie.
    Did he knock a man's teeth out with a hammer? I definitely saw a dead man with a hammer beside him. I actually hope they don't play this thing alongside a PG-13 movie.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that's what it looked like! Looked like it was a gas station attendant/mechanic with a hammer near their body. I hope that scene is graphic and bloody

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    I bought Halloween II on DVD as well as the Fog in a massive FYE going out of business sale. I am getting a little hyped for this even though I am terrified its going to be H20 with more gruesome deaths.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked H20 kinda more than Halloween 2 because it came out while I was a teenager so the characters and the presentation was more what I was used to vs a movie set in the 70s.

I thought the teeth was the gas station attendant but part of me feels like the teeth are that english dudes teeth that fall out while Michael is smashing his head against the bathroom stall.

Is it October yet?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorite part of the Halloween series has always been the final hospital chase in part II. When both Loomis and Laurie watch Michael get up after slitting the guard's throat... and the synth kicks in... holy frick that scared me so much as a kid.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think out of them all, Halloween II is my favorite. And I mean the real #2 not the Rob Zombie #2. I didn't mind his versions either. But the original #2, like with Friday the 13th 2, I just felt it was better than the introduction. It's weird, I go back and think wow, I'm a really big fan of the 2nd movies based on iconic thrashers. Pinhead, Michael, Jason, Chucky, Leatherface, for some reason #2 I enjoyed more than the first.

Then you have Nightmare on Elm St 2 which was terrible.

Mentioned
    443 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    New Nightmare is the best Elm Street film

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New Nightmare is the best Elm Street film
    It's damn close but I will never be able to commit to #3 or #4 being the best. Probably #3 with a gun to my head. Loved that one.

Mentioned
    363 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New Nightmare's probably my favorite, too. I need to rewatch that with the wife, she's never seen it and I've only seen it a couple times.

Mentioned
    363 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...and so we just watched it.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New Nightmare was a movie I remember thinking was very boring as a kid, but that was only because I was only looking for the kills and Freddy quips. Now that I'm older I do reach for New Nightmare first over the rest. It's such a brilliant break of the fourth wall without going all Deadpool.

I recently rewatched H20 and I actually found it to be pretty boring and dull, filmmaking and storywise. It feels and looks like a made for TV movie. And I'd totally forgotten about the mask issues like that CG mask part? OMG that is laugh out loud schlock I remember seeing as a kid and being completely befuddled by it. The Shape in H20 just looked horrible and that really ruins it for me. They could have ended the Halloween franchise w/ that movie and I guess I would have been cool w/ that. But no that had to make Resurrection where oh it was the ambulance guy she decapitated and he couldn't talk because his neck was crushed. Like what? And the iconic Michael Myers is taken down... by Busta Rhymes. Ughh.

Watched the first Halloween movie by Zombie, hated it, and didn't even bother w/ the second one. Of all the directors I would have banked on getting Halloween right, Zombie was my top pick. How he fucked that up so bad is just bonkers.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I miss USA's Up All Night and their late night Friday the 13th marathons. Sure they’d be censored, but it was still a lot of fun.

Halloween, Halloween II, and H20 are like a complete trilogy for me, and that’s the only ones I watch. Part 4 and 5 I enjoy just not my favorites.

Mentioned
    443 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Zombie's Halloween II is a lot better than his first one. Resurrection was only made because of the success H20 had. That was the period they put rappers in horror movies, like LL Cool J in H20. wtf.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Whoa whoa whats this talk about New Nightmare being the best Elm Street film. It is good but its not a patch on the original which for me is the greatest horror movie ever.

Glad the Rob Zombie Halloween films are getting a kicking on here though they are absolutely shit especially the second one which is one of the worst films ever put on celluloid.