Thread: Who's Next?

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    I'm going to take the word of the UFC's VP of athlete health and performance over some rumor that was spawned from some random "dirt sheet" guy on twitter. Now....I would imagine 2 things...#1 the websites are keeping an open mind because last year for UFC 200 and whole situation with Ariel Helwani where the UFC wanted it to be a surprise, told him not to say shit, and his punk ass did anyway. Then he cried for the next year. So maybe this is going to be a surprise but he's for sure not fighting on that MSG card. #2-The fact we have heard ZERO from anyone that's credible with any credible insight outside of going "well his contract is up at this point, he did get to fight last year blah blah blah." But as of right now, he hasn't told the WWE jack shit and this is all something that literally started when some random dude tweeted the "news". I could go on Twitter right now and post "I heard Tito Ortiz and Chuck Liddell are going to fight in Bellator" and there's a snowballs chance in Hell that would happen but it doesn't make it credible.
    I'm pretty dumbfounded that anyone could take UFC's side over Helwani's. He's a reporter. It is his obligation to report. If the UFC actually let him in on the secret then holy fuck what a bunch of idiots who deserved to have their big surprise spoiled.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can appreciate Helwani's contributions no different than I can with wrestling journalists like Wade Keller. Helwani's bitch fits and awkward confrontations with certain people just rubs me the wrong way more often than not. The way he responded toward the UFC, crying and then getting his credentials back...I mean on one hand I can understand why there would be people who respected a grown man crying about being omitted to the right people and getting his credentials back, but on the flipside you have think, even if it's his "job", it's no secret Dana and others are not fans of him for the most part and they've put him on for many years, they ask him to simply wait to reveal big news and he needs that attention so fucking bad he does it anyway. They didn't LET him in on something, it leaked and when they found out he had the knowledge, they wanted him to wait what, a couple hours? And like a fucking mark, (no pun intended-get a different name!), he runs to his little social media outlets.

To be honest, I'm not taking anyone's side. I didn't know about Lesnar until the UFC advertisement. I actually thought it was kind of over the top they banned him. It was what happened AFTER he was banned that just made me go, yep, same ol' Ariel.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's a reporter, a journalist. His job is to report, to break news. It's one of the oldest professions in the world and he's the best at doing it in mma. He's spent a lot of his life working very hard to be the best in the game. Dana White trying to control the way mma is reported on is megalomaniacal.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    He's a reporter, a journalist. His job is to report, to break news. It's one of the oldest professions in the world and he's the best at doing it in mma. He's spent a lot of his life working very hard to be the best in the game. Dana White trying to control the way mma is reported on is megalomaniacal.
    Eh, I think had it been anyone else it would have fallen on "deaf" ears. Dana and co. would have been mad, but like I said, I didn't know about it until I saw the UFC advertisement. I'm not saying Ariel was WRONG in what he did a year ago, what was "wrong" was him crying like a little bitch and then getting his credentials back because he cried about it. Literally CRIED because he fucked up. He fucked up because he knew, he KNEW with them asking him not to release the info he obtained that they were going to react negatively...I mean, Dana has had this dude removed from pressers in the past for being overbearing and a shit starter. Ariel imo should have at the very least respected the UFC's request or if he wasn't going to, don't shed tears, real or fake, as a way to get your credentials back.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He cried because he was being vilified by the organisation he had dedicated a large portion of his life to and he worried that not only was his livelihood being taken away but so was the livelihood of ester lin and another colleague whose name I don't remember purely because of innocent association to Ariel helwani. The UFC have no right to dictate how and when people report on them as long as they aren't being slanderous or libellous. This is one of the fundamental principles of having a free press and the UFC tries to regulate that way too much. The press is responsible for providing a conduit between the sport and the fans who pay everyone's wages, otherwise we'd just have to trust every word that came out of Dana whites mouth, which we already know is largely bullshit. They weren't even thinking straight in this case, the helwani news teased the return of lesnar to be a lot bigger than the ufcs promo did. They were just trying to be bullies, as plain as that.

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Helwani is a bitch

I don't care so much that he was a grown man crying for sympathy, but when he went into detail about some CM Punk-like "pipe bomb story" "that he won't get into" about a fighter "who put his hands into" and "i'll just say it got physical"

he was acting like a rape victim

for those who forget:

“In the words of my man CM Punk, this is a pipebomb,” Helwani said of his incident “Around that timeframe something else happened. That’s the one thing I’m going to skip over, for now. That’s the one thing I don’t want to get into. I don’t feel comfortable. I will say this, though. It got physical and I’ll move along. And that was hard. But, I kept doing my job and I’m proud of my job and once again I was left on the island and I hoped that better days were ahead."

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's a fucking journalist. Not a fighter. Nobody should expect people to have hands put on them in their job. What's wrong with you internet hardmen?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don't know the situation. That's what bothers me. Why even bring it up and have people like you, Mik, make this automatic assumption when you have no clue what happened. But Ariel wanted to throw that in so we'd wet our eyes even more for his situation. We've seen enough footage of the "press" being obnoxious and deserving at the very least a swift verbal beatdown with their camera and recorders shoved up their ass. So again, we don't know the situation because that "man" never put it out there. Showing us the real side of journalism so actually fuck him even more. "I'm going to allude to someone putting hands on me to get sympathy but never talk about it again". That's some girl shit, did he post that on Facebook with a couple emojis and that "LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE" guy making a remix for Ariel??

I'm sorry but the lack of respect is part of the job. When you do shit like this....which I didn't even know about it until today and reading up on it, what a clown.

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    He's a fucking journalist. Not a fighter. Nobody should expect people to have hands put on them in their job. What's wrong with you internet hardmen?
    because hes not a journalist. hes more like TMZ and he knows it. He breaks news from his boys on the inside and interviews guys on his podcast. hes a wannabe Dave Meltzer. At least Dave Meltzer analyzes fights, writes articles and doesnt make it about himself.

Helwani prides himself about how he doesn't make things about himself, but that is obviously hardly the case

REAL journalists go through a lot of hardships, especially those covering wars, things against children, whatever. I dont often see them crying on their own "journalism show" and making it about themself

UFC took away credentials giving him a free pass to cover their shows because he constantly shits on them and is (in their opinion) hurting their business. They didn't take away his ability to cover MMA. He can still write articles about MMA, interview fighters, do as he pleases. He was a whiney twat because he isnt getting free passes backstage to big events? since when is that a right?
    Last edited by Spedizzo; July 25th, 2017 at 1:10 PM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sped....I can't say I disagree with any of that. Ariel is more like TMZ than a legit journalist covering the sport. Ariel is technically legit, he went to school. But yeah, his approach is very TMZ, daytime talk show, than it is about being unbiased and delivering real coverage.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    So what hardships must NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, tennis, golf, or boxing journalists endure?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am I wrong to think MMA is still a niche form of entertainment that has yet to catch up to the other sports with a massive lead in tenure? Or maybe "niche sport"? Yeah, McGregor, Rousey, Lesnar, GSP, they have sold a million ppv buys several times but the overall appeal of the sport, is it up there with those sports you mentioned?

The only reason I'm asking these questions and probably doing a shit job at it, is that I feel like we don't really see the same approach to covering MMA like you would the NFL in the grand scheme of things.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I think the sport has one foot in it's niche past and one in it's mainstream development. And in the meantime we see outlets like espn and fox sports cover them regularly in the same manner they do the major sports. While ultimately they insist they're up there with those other orgs, and so they should act accordingly.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Spedizzo and ND are unbelievably wrong here.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by percussion13 View Post
    I think the sport has one foot in it's niche past and one in it's mainstream development. And in the meantime we see outlets like espn and fox sports cover them regularly in the same manner they do the major sports. While ultimately they insist they're up there with those other orgs, and so they should act accordingly.
    And I've noticed the major sports outlets that cover MMA do it better than Ariel has done and that's ok. He's not expected, imo, to be on that level. And to be honest, I'm sure he's helped out at times with these other outlets depending on the story. But again like you said, they have their foot in that niche, by they I just mean MMA in general, where they can do certain things you wouldn't see done in baseball, football, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hammer View Post
    Spedizzo and ND are unbelievably wrong here.
    Hey, I 100% get why you would side with Ariel, at least on this particular situation with like the Lesnar reveal, but that still doesn't mean we're wrong if we think the guy is more TMZ than legit.

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MMA is a niche and that is the only reason someone like Ariel Helwani has a position that some consider journalism. He would never make it one foot past the door in any other legitimate sport with his shtick of instigating fighters and utilizing drama to stay relevant. He benefited from being in the right position at the right time when the sport was growing

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what hardships must NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, tennis, golf, or boxing journalists endure?
    even in sports, death threats and physicality can happen. When you are in the trenches asking questions to people with little to no education and being in the media spotlight, things can happen. You know what you signed up for. He cried on his podcast, while sobbing said "I didn't go to journalism school for this" is he serious?

http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=whitlock/040701

journalists in sports get into sticky situations all of the time. I have never seen a journalist in a major sport go to extent of Ariel Helwani to cry on a podcast for their job because they had their credentials taken away. Absolutely pathetic

and I do not consider him a journalist so I am not going to compare him further

he is a podcaster/media personality at this point
    Last edited by Spedizzo; July 25th, 2017 at 2:34 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    And I've noticed the major sports outlets that cover MMA do it better than Ariel has done and that's ok. He's not expected, imo, to be on that level. And to be honest, I'm sure he's helped out at times with these other outlets depending on the story. But again like you said, they have their foot in that niche, by they I just mean MMA in general, where they can do certain things you wouldn't see done in baseball, football, etc.

Hey, I 100% get why you would side with Ariel, at least on this particular situation with like the Lesnar reveal, but that still doesn't mean we're wrong if we think the guy is more TMZ than legit.
    What is the difference between TMZ and a "legit" reporter? They are the same fucking thing. They exist to inform us.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    No one in sports journalism signed up for battery or death threats, nor should it be tolerated or shrugged off as a cost of doing business. Fucking hilarious.

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well it happens unfortunately, and I have not seen journalists handle it the way Ariel Helwani does. the point is Ariel Helwani makes everything about himself which he claims NOT to do.

his story was probably bullshit, but we won't know because he chose "not to get into it" but still decided to bring it up. Just like half of the rumors he puts up that does not come into fruition.

I used to follow him extensively for rumors about potential fights (especially during the UFC 205 time) and whatnot to events I would be going to, and for every breaking scoop he has there is a whole fuckload of clickbait that he puts out there too

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    How does he make everything about himself? I have never gotten that vibe during one his interviews. Other than when he says "Ariel Helwani here" which is what all reporters do.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the difference between TMZ and a "legit" reporter? They are the same fucking thing. They exist to inform us.
    Ok sure, in the most general of terms yeah you're right. If that helps your narrative sure. I come to this board and report new fights being announced, I'm now the Rajah.com MMA reporter. Check my credentials.

No one in sports journalism signed up for battery or death threats, nor should it be tolerated or shrugged off as a cost of doing business. Fucking hilarious.
    What's "fucking hilarious" is the lack of info to even assume ARIEL was assaulted. He did some vague Facebook posting girly shit to get sympathy and you're basing your opinion on what exactly? "It got physical". A pussy like Ariel, PHYSICAL=wind from the other person's body touched him. He's a fucking pussy, there isn't an ounce of man in him and I get that in this day and age having a pussy can still make you a man and vice versa but come on. If he won't speak up on the story then what the fuck is he doing talking shit? Typical of a guy who spends 99% of his day crying on twitter.

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does he make everything about himself? I have never gotten that vibe during one his interviews. Other than when he says "Ariel Helwani here" which is what all reporters do.
    his style of purposely instigating to make a name for himself so fighters get heated and then wondering why it happened and talking about how everyone treats him like shit on his podcast for one. He tries to constantly make a name for himself and stir the pot rather than "be a journalist"

just the other day he is interviewing Matt Serra and calls his show UFC Unfiltered, "UFC Filtered" and asks him if that new Dana White show is still airing

he is no more to journalism than "The Daily Show" or TMZ

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    What's "fucking hilarious" is the lack of info to even assume ARIEL was assaulted. He did some vague Facebook posting girly shit to get sympathy and you're basing your opinion on what exactly? "It got physical". A pussy like Ariel, PHYSICAL=wind from the other person's body touched him. He's a fucking pussy, there isn't an ounce of man in him and I get that in this day and age having a pussy can still make you a man and vice versa but come on. If he won't speak up on the story then what the fuck is he doing talking shit? Typical of a guy who spends 99% of his day crying on twitter.
    I'm basing it on, like I already stated, others corroborating his story and ufc's reputation for unprofessional behavior.

I don't get what being manly has to do with anything here either. This is his career, not a bar fight.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm basing it on, like I already stated, others corroborating his story and ufc's reputation for unprofessional behavior.

I don't get what being manly has to do with anything here either. This is his career, not a bar fight.
    I could very well have missed it but I just went through all your posts about this topic and nowhere did you talk about others corroborating his story. Who backed up this story Ariel vaguely talked about?

He carries himself like a bitch.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I could very well have missed it but I just went through all your posts about this topic and nowhere did you talk about others corroborating his story. Who backed up this story Ariel vaguely talked about?

He carries himself like a bitch.
    That's my bad Nash, I think I started to write it at some point but deleted it when I got distracted. It was Jeremy Botter and front row brian what's his name that both agreed the incident involved ariel asking Chuck Liddell a benign questing before a ufc bodyguard/stooge snatched him up against a wall aggressively etc, etc.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the only people who supposedly saw this were the other 2 he was escorted out of the building with? Makes sense.

I like how when I googled the story, http://www.craziestsportsfights.com/...nal-broadcast/

the site I go to the first 2 things you see are the Youtube vid of his tearful message and then a tweet that says his credentials were taken away and "I didn't get to see Bisping realize his dream". What a fucking mark! Again, all about himself. How fucking corny is that to add?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Who said they were the only people to see it?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Some of this reads like a junior high bathroom stall.

But it's about the real ramifications of a far-reaching professional endeavor..

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the site I go to the first 2 things you see are the Youtube vid of his tearful message and then a tweet that says his credentials were taken away and "I didn't get to see Bisping realize his dream". What a fucking mark! Again, all about himself. How fucking corny is that to add?
    I think he was more upset he missed watching a free live main event than losing his credentials

during his podcast he cried and whined X amount of times about the fact that he missed Bisping's knockout of Rockhold in person

booohoooo

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who said they were the only people to see it?
    Who said they're telling the truth? You believed what they said, so why should I believe it even happened if that's the only word we can go on is Sandy Twat's crybaby eulogy and his buddy that was escorted out with him?

Oh because of the UFC's unprofessional behavior in the past. So anything that is remotely negative toward the UFC you're going to believe it because in the past they might have done something you found unprofessional. Well shit that's a pretty broad stroke, considering you could go through any company on the planet and find quite a few unprofessional situations. That doesn't mean you just blindly accept everything that could be deemed negative.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spedizzo View Post
    I think he was more upset he missed watching a free live main event than losing his credentials

during his podcast he cried and whined X amount of times about the fact that he missed Bisping's knockout of Rockhold in person

booohoooo
    Of course he was. Dana White literally said he could cover any event he wanted, he just wasn't getting credentials and so be it.

But yeah...I'd be pissed too if I made my living off a company who didn't want to pay for me to write dirt on them more often than not.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    So anything that is remotely negative toward the UFC you're going to believe it because in the past they might have done something you found unprofessional.
    No. But I'm sure you'll give a further dissertation answering more questions on my behalf.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. But I'm sure you'll give a further dissertation answering more questions on my behalf.
    And I'm sure you'll avoid responding to clarify your comments. So please...clarify what you meant when you were talking about believing Ariel and the guy who was also booted out and how that relates to the UFC's past of supposed unprofessional methods.

I also did ask you a question, several in fact that you avoided....not a shocker there with you. So again....Who's to say they are telling the truth?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    And I'm sure you'll avoid responding to clarify your comments. So please...clarify what you meant when you were talking about believing Ariel and the guy who was also booted out and how that relates to the UFC's past of supposed unprofessional methods.

I also did ask you a question, several in fact that you avoided....not a shocker there with you. So again....Who's to say they are telling the truth?
    In this case I don't see what ariel and them have to lie about it. As well as the fact that dana & co have never really disputed it from what I've read, instead there's an interview somewhere (can't remember where atm) illustrating how pissed White was at Helwani for his question and mention him calling Chris Borsari to do something about it. And yes the constant unprofessional behavior of the ufc contributes to giving helwani benefit of the doubt, but that doesn't mean I'd just believe any and all accusations against them. One doesn't necessarily equal the other.

And the fuck have I made a habit of avoiding question from you or anyone else? That's nonsense, I've always explained my position to anyone on any statements I've made, even if it turns out in error.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I asked you several questions and you responded to none of them.

Also....doesn't it sound off that Ariel would get slammed up against a wall and choked for simply asking Chuck Liddell if he would come out of retirement to fight Jon Jones? On the flipside, a lot of people know Ariel's intentions so they might just have their guard up because Ariel thinks he's a real reporter when he's more like Dok Hendrix.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    As defensive as White is about Chuck, and here's a guy putting his old, war-warn friend on the spot about fighting the current fresh badass ... maybe if dana ever showed Amy self control and didn't completely overreact then maybe my benefit of the doubt would swing the other way. But as it stands with this story..

I didn't respond to none of them. I felt getting to the part with you putting words in my mouth was more important than your barrage of sandy twat questions. But you assuredly know I don't avoid simple questions from folks, yet you tried to make it out to be the norm. The fuck.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As defensive as White is about Chuck, and here's a guy putting his old, war-warn friend on the spot about fighting the current fresh badass ... maybe if dana ever showed Amy self control and didn't completely overreact then maybe my benefit of the doubt would swing the other way. But as it stands with this story..

I didn't respond to none of them. I felt getting to the part with you putting words in my mouth was more important than your barrage of sandy twat questions. But you assuredly know I don't avoid simple questions from folks, yet you tried to make it out to be the norm. The fuck.
    Where did I imply it was the norm? I assumed you wouldn't respond to clarify your comments because you didn't respond to my questions, which you just fucking admitted to for whatever the reason.

What are you implying about Dana White? Can I freestyle a guess and tell you how I took it? I took that as you saying Dana must have been there because it was supposedly one of his bodyguards (why a guy surrounded by killers would need a bodyguard who probably would get killed by them is odd to me) and that somehow Dana, because Chuck was asked a simple fantasy question, gave the signal and had his man slam poor Ariel and choke the fuck out of him?

Do you not realize how hard that is to really believe without sounding like a blind hater toward Dana White? I've never once in all the years of following the UFC heard of Dana White or any of his people doing something like this. Again, we weren't there, we don't know what the full story was and obviously it wasn't caught on camera or that little fuck would have put it up by now.

You know what probably happened? Ariel asked the question, someone told him to move along, he wouldn't, they made him move along, and he didn't say shit until he wanted to try and make the UFC out to be cocksuckers, mainly Dana White, so the little people who believe him would go "Yeah fuck Dana White" as Ariel's youtube count goes up and up.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I don't think it's that hard at all to believe, and I've actually defended Dana on several occasions where I thought her wasn't getting a fair shake. If there's anyone he's going to act irrationally about it's Chuck. And we're talking about whether or not Dana White would act impulsively/irrationally..

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it's that hard at all to believe, and I've actually defended Dana on several occasions where I thought her wasn't getting a fair shake. If there's anyone he's going to act irrationally about it's Chuck. And we're talking about whether or not Dana White would act impulsively/irrationally..
    I'm talking about Ariel and Chuck and you're trying to parlay that into Dana White=irrational. We know DW is what you just said, that has really nothing to do with anything with the UFC 172 story that we've been talking about in the last handful of posts over the last 15-16 hours.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Joanna J's next title defense will come vs Rose Namajunas at UFC 217.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's cool. I can't see how Rose could beat her though.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yeah, I don't think she does. She's coming off an emphatic win on a FOX card and there's nobody else that Joanna hasn't already beat (once or twice) so I get it but she's riding a one fight win streak with a spotty record to boot. This is a hard sell for me.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does seem the UFC have been angling for Thug Rose to make it to another title fight. She was the one they were calling the next Ronda Rousey. They also called Phillpe Nover the next Anderson Silva and then he passed out on the 2nd day haha. Should be a decent fight but I think Joanna just runs through her like a hot knife through butter.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Bisping vs GSP has been officially signed for UFC 217 at MSG.

Pretty surreal. GSP is one of my top 2 or 3 favorites of all time, and for years I couldn't stand Mike, but I honestly don't care who wins. GSP winning and being the middleweight champ would feel like I was dreaming but if Bisping wins he has perhaps the greatest MMA story of all time to tell. Hollywood film script material. I am so excited for this fight.
    Last edited by Mark Hammer; August 10th, 2017 at 1:27 PM.

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't stand GSP for the longest time and always wanted to see him get knocked out but always knew after round 1 when he would grind the fuck out of you it would never happen. GSP vs. Fitch was around the time I was getting hardcore into MMA to the point where I was talking about it with random guys at the gym (I was just an 18 year old kid). I cannot believe we are going on 10 years now when a prime GSP beat the shit out of Fitch.

Now, I am at the point where seeing GSP will remind me how time has completely flown by. If it was GSP vs an up and comer I would be cheering GSP with a nostalgic tear in my eye. But because it's Bisping, who he himself is also a vet, I also do not care who wins. I find myself cheering for the old guard a lot lately, there isn't many of them left. I also can't believe Bisping and GSP are the old guard, and guys like Liddell, Rampage, Wanderlei, Forrest Griffin, Ortiz, Rich Franklin (the big names when I started) are extinct.

I also couldn't stand Bisping for the longest time either, but his no-shits personality has completely won me over.

As far as who I think wins? Does anyone remember Sonnen vs. Bisping? I don't know why everyone is discounting GSP. I think it will be a grind-em win for GSP.

Bisping is bigger, but I don't know if he has the gas tank to consistently hold George's riddim back.
    Last edited by Spedizzo; August 10th, 2017 at 4:08 PM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sonnen vs Bisping? Where Sonnen was the much bigger guy, was probably on steroids, couldn't hold Bisping down and were it not for the fact that the whole world wanted to see Sonnen vs Silva 2, he probably would've (and should've) lost that one 29-28 on the cards?

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I had 2 rounds for Sonnen though it was a tossup. But yeah, I can't say I agree with the comparison to GSP.

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bisping hasn't really fought many wrestlers. Kennedy and Sonnen are the only I can think of

I think GSP can go 5 full rounds, grind it out and is much more well rounded than Sonnen ever was or will be. Sonnen just had size and pure wrestling which I think we are overstating a little too much. GSP isn't a midget. He still has a reach advantage on Bisping.

I could be wrong, but I am getting the feeling Bisping will have a hard time keeping it standing now

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderboy v. Till announced for Feb 24th card in England.

Joanne Calderwood is out against Bec Rawlings for their fight on Nov 19th. This is apparently the 3rd time they tried to book this fight and each time Joanne has wound up injured.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Wonderboy and his dad doesn't seem to interested in that fight.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/11/...l-at-this-time

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't say I disagree 100%. Till did beat Cowboy, who was on a 2 fight losing streak but against top 5 talent. Till's biggest win of his career was Cerrone. Wonderboy for his 6th fight in the promotion after just cracking the top 15 is a huge jump when Wonderboy's only lost to Matt Brown a few years ago and in a championship fight. Just going by UFC rankings, we're talking the #1 ranked WW v. the #8 ranked WW. Wonderboy is probably looking at a title fight sooner than Till would be.

We will probably see something like Wonderboy v. Colby=winner gets title shot. It's all on Woodley as well. If he goes under the knife he's basically going to get stripped as he'll be out at least a year but who knows.

Trying to squeeze Till in to headline in his country is going to be tough. The turnaround to fight say the winner of Lawler-RDA or Condit-Magney is like 2 months and I don't know if we'd see any of those 4 willing to fight that quick without finishing someone quickly as well. If they were smart they would have booked Till v. Perry and then that winner could go on and get a top tier guy.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    I guess Till could find himself somewhat in the same situation as Alex Gustafsson was in before he fought Jones. A tough as nails up-and-comer that the top guys know can cause trouble, but not having much name-value if they should beat them, the old high-risk/low-reward scenario. Cerrone doesn't give a fuck of course, but many other ranked guys do. Till against the winner of Mike Perry/Santiago Ponzinibbio would make the most sense but doesn't work out timing wise.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bellator are doing an 8 man tournament for the vacant heavyweight title with Fedor, Mir, Big Country, Mitrione, Sonnen, Rampage, King Mo and 205lb champ Bader. If they're smart with the brackets there's some huge shows possible - how about Fedor vs. Mir, Sonnen vs. Rampage, Nelson vs. Mitrione 2 and Bader/Mo.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Wonderboy v. Till announced for Feb 24th card in England.

Joanne Calderwood is out against Bec Rawlings for their fight on Nov 19th. This is apparently the 3rd time they tried to book this fight and each time Joanne has wound up injured.
    Looks like they are trying to hotshot Till into contendership. I like Wonderboy but I hope Darren pulls it off.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Till vs Gunni would be a great fight.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Just saw that Bisping steps in for AS against Gastelum.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Cyborg/Holm set for UFC 219.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The UFC asked Cyborg if she'd be willing to face Meagan Anderson Feb 10th in Perth and she said YES. So she's going to defend her title a little over a month after defending it against Holly. That's wild! When was the last time you saw that? Cyborg must be super confident taking a fight that quickly.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if De Randamie will fight her after, seeing as how it would be 3 fights and a year after Cyborg's alleged drug use? That's the only fight I can think of after Anderson. Fair play to Cyborg for helping out a pretty poor card on short notice. Loving that most cards have multiple title fights nowadays.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Batter View Post
    I wonder if De Randamie will fight her after, seeing as how it would be 3 fights and a year after Cyborg's alleged drug use? That's the only fight I can think of after Anderson. Fair play to Cyborg for helping out a pretty poor card on short notice. Loving that most cards have multiple title fights nowadays.
    GDR doesn't want any of Cyborg. First it was her hand, then it was the failed drug test from almost a decade ago, I mean she literally said fuck that and gave up her title that IMHO she shouldn't have won in the first place.

If I'm a betting man, the UFC are going to want someone with a little name value and if it's not Nunes, I'm looking at Cat Zigano. She's barely been active but I could see her getting a title shot based on her past work. I mean, the reality is this....IMO, if Cyborg wasn't champ we'd be seeing a lot more women from 135 that established themselves somewhat wanting to take a stab at 145. Cindy Dandois threw her name in the hat, touting she's the #1 LW female fighter in the world. She'd get murdered but damn she's lovely and a such a nice person.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    135 itself is so devoid of contenders that a Zingano or McMann are probably a win away from a shot in their own weight class, never mind having to face Cyborg. Dandois in an all time bad striker so she'd get murdered but based on credentials she's not undeserving of a title shot at 145. The women's divisions, 115 aside, are all messes at the minute.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    135 itself is so devoid of contenders that a Zingano or McMann are probably a win away from a shot in their own weight class, never mind having to face Cyborg. Dandois in an all time bad striker so she'd get murdered but based on credentials she's not undeserving of a title shot at 145. The women's divisions, 115 aside, are all messes at the minute.
    I mean, Cindy has more of a case than Meagan does for the sole fact that Meagan's last loss was getting choked out by Dandois. Dandois I think at one point was set to face Cyborg for the 145 belt in Invicta after that win against Anderson.

IMO, there are no fights for WMMA bigger than one against Cyborg. Cat v. Nunes is not going to do the business Cat v. Cyborg would do. Cyborg isn't going to draw like Ronda but imo it's going to be Cyborg no matter who she's fighting will be a draw to a certain extent because people are going to want to see a slaying by Cyborg.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Well Cyborg actually wants to fight in Australia and this is a low-risk golden ticket to get there. It does bring the card quality up a fair bit.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    then it was the failed drug test from almost a decade ago
    That shit was like 2 years ago.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think Cyborg's fights are captivating enough to draw big. It's not like she's winning in highlight reel fashion. Winner's are marketable, sure, but it takes something a bit extra to be transcendent. I don't think Cyborg/Zingano outdraws Nunes/Zingano 2, should Cat get herself in that position.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That shit was like 2 years ago.
    She got a TUE for that. So other than the fight 6+ years ago in StrikeForce...?

I don't think Cyborg's fights are captivating enough to draw big. It's not like she's winning in highlight reel fashion. Winner's are marketable, sure, but it takes something a bit extra to be transcendent. I don't think Cyborg/Zingano outdraws Nunes/Zingano 2, should Cat get herself in that position.
    I do. Cyborg is the biggest name that's active in female MMA. Bigger name than Nunes, bigger than Cat. Cat's been off the grid since UFC 200 and before that she fought like 1 time, against Ronda, in about 3 years. Nunes is barely even marketed. I'm not saying Cyborg is drawing 800k buys, but I am saying that she's the top female draw in MMA that actually fights. Ronda is never coming back, Tate is preg, Holly's ship sailed.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    She was pulled from a UFC title fight for peeing hot. It was within the last 2-3 years.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She was pulled from a UFC title fight for peeing hot. It was within the last 2-3 years.
    Right. The one where she got a TUE, December 2016. No suspension, no fines. Shit even Yoel Romero and Machida had to sit out a few months for tainted supps.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Just a failed piss test and fight cancellation.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a failed piss test and fight cancellation.
    People have failed piss tests for stupid shit in the past and again, she got an exemption so in reality no harm no foul just USADA and their Nazi approach to cleaning up the sport. She took something that apparently wasn't a big deal or they wouldn't have given her the TUE, right?

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    How naive are you?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How naive are you?
    When Rey Misterio got popped for roids looking like a fat midget I stopped using the eye test.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    How about the ear test?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about the ear test?
    As in I HEARD she didn't get suspended, received a TUE, and GDR changed her story from one thing to another to another eventually vacating the belt so she didn't have to fight again at 145? Sure.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    No, as in have you ever heard her speak?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, as in have you ever heard her speak?
    Have you ever heard a Brazilian woman speak and not sound like a dude? Claudia has a manly voice as well. Gabi Garcia...Dude I think the bigger the Brazilian woman the lower the voice haha. Even the women on cam sites, they all have low voices.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    So you don't think Cyborg has ever done steroids?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you don't think Cyborg has ever done steroids?
    Considering the last couple days I've made several posts, including within the last hour or so, that she did fail a drug test in Strikeforce--- why would I answer "no"?

Let's be honest, the list of clean fighters is about as long as Bobby's baby sized dick from Scary Movie.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    But when she did steroids most recently she was able to get a doctor's note after the fact so it wasn't bad steroids it was good steroids. I think I get it.
    I mean, Cindy has more of a case than Meagan does for the sole fact that Meagan's last loss was getting choked out by Dandois. Dandois I think at one point was set to face Cyborg for the 145 belt in Invicta after that win against Anderson.

IMO, there are no fights for WMMA bigger than one against Cyborg. Cat v. Nunes is not going to do the business Cat v. Cyborg would do. Cyborg isn't going to draw like Ronda but imo it's going to be Cyborg no matter who she's fighting will be a draw to a certain extent because people are going to want to see a slaying by Cyborg.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But when she did steroids most recently she was able to get a doctor's note after the fact so it wasn't bad steroids it was good steroids. I think I get it.

Good steroids under USADA? Interesting.

Yeah man I'm well aware Dandois would get murdered, posted that a couple times. But she did finish the person next in line to fight Cyborg so there's that. Ronda killed an entire division with the worst striking next to Dandois.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The Meagan Anderson fight was 3 years ago and Anderson was winning before getting caught in a triangle. Since then Anderson has gone on a 4 fight streak, all TKO finishes and has become the Invicta champ to boot. Cindy Dandois has had two fights since that gif over no-names and won her last fight via SD. So no, she doesn't have a better claim than Anderson.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Meagan Anderson fight was 3 years ago and Anderson was winning before getting caught in a triangle. Since then Anderson has gone on a 4 fight streak, all TKO finishes and has become the Invicta champ to boot. Cindy Dandois has had two fights since that gif over no-names and won her last fight via SD. So no, she doesn't have a better claim than Anderson.
    I don't know man. #1 LW in the world, finished the only other person to hold the 145 championship in Invicta. The only reason Dandois didn't get a title shot in Invicta was due to signing with the UFC and look who she debuted against, a former contender to the championship. AND she went the distance.

Did anyone ever find out why she went ghost last year? (Anderson)

I heard visa issues, I heard she was preg then miscarried, I heard she didn't want to fight Cyborg. Obviously the 2nd thing I heard if that's the case that's her business I was just curious in general why someone who was ready to jump in with Cyborg vanished once the paperwork was drawn up.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    I doubt Anderson really wants to fight Cyborg, at least that's the impression I got when I watched the MMA Hour where Helwani surprised her with Cyborg being on as well. She sort of took the bass out of her voice so to speak, Anderson that is..

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden

Omg..

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Looks like they pulled someone from the crowd and told her to fight.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember when the Seahawks beat the Patriots and Miesha won that bet against Dana? This was what she won. Her BFF a spot on the roster. I know that sounds mean but she is super one dimensional. Not that it's a bad thing if you get the job done but you need to look better than THAT haha. I mean Ronda's striking was never anything to write home about and she knocked out women in 20 seconds.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    She knocked out a woman that got into MMA to lose weight. In fact very few of Ronda's wins were over lifelong martial artists.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She knocked out a woman that got into MMA to lose weight. In fact very few of Ronda's wins were over lifelong martial artists.
    so?

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    So what?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Dana telling Kevin Iole that Cyborg/Nunes is the match he intends to make next.

Couldn't agree more.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    That's a great fight especially considering the lack of viable contenders at 135. Financially speaking it would make the most sense to hold it in Brazil though lots of heads in the crowd might explode not knowing who to chant death towards.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what?
    Bold part. What does a lifelong martial artist have to do with anything? Not every skilled fighter is someone who's been training karate and wrestling since they were 10. Let's see how well a lifelong martial artist like Floyd Mayweather would do against someone with 3 years MMA training. He'd get killed.

Dana telling Kevin Iole that Cyborg/Nunes is the match he intends to make next.

Couldn't agree more.
    Yeah it's crazy right now. Cyborg claims the UFC contacted her about fighting Megan Anderson in Perth in Feb. Megan went on social media and said that yes the fight is being put together but not for Feb as she's not ready to go and supposedly Cyborg made a comment yesterday that her hand might be jacked up as well.

I'm all about Cyborg v. Nunes. That's the female Anderson Silva v. Vitor Belfort fight imo. 2 manly ass sounding killers just going toe to toe.

That's a great fight especially considering the lack of viable contenders at 135. Financially speaking it would make the most sense to hold it in Brazil though lots of heads in the crowd might explode not knowing who to chant death towards.
    Someone better pack a boomerang.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Bold part. What does a lifelong martial artist have to do with anything? Not every skilled fighter is someone who's been training karate and wrestling since they were 10. Let's see how well a lifelong martial artist like Floyd Mayweather would do against someone with 3 years MMA training. He'd get killed.
    I think Floyd could take cm punk.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virmicious View Post
    I think Floyd could take cm punk.
    Maybe. He couldn't take Ronda that's for sure.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    You went on about how Rousey's poor striking was still serviceable and I countered that it wasn't saying much considering her "competition". Her train flew off the tracks as soon as she fought an actual martial artist with striking ability.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You went on about how Rousey's poor striking was still serviceable and I countered that it wasn't saying much considering her "competition". Her train flew off the tracks as soon as she fought an actual martial artist with striking ability.
    Yet it was still serviceable.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yet it was still serviceable.
    ... which says nothing considering it was vs women who weren't true martial artists.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... which says nothing considering it was vs women who weren't true martial artists.
    I didn't know there was a gospel for what defines a TRUE martial artist.

Can we do MMAth in this discussion? Meaning, Ronda worked Miesha Tate twice yet Miesha put Holly to sleep. Holly has really no ground game, so are you just saying as long as they have hands they're a true martial artist? Because Holly couldn't do to Tate what she did to Ronda but Ronda made Tate look mediocre as fuck.

It's like slighting Anderson Silva's TDD. Man he must suck because 1 out of several aspects of MMA he's not very good at.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Jesus.