Thread: Better Call Saul

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I bet Chuck dies and Hamlin just gets Jimmy to change his name so he isn't affiliated with the firm, and drops all charges.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing episode, another brilliant plan by Jimmy, and Chuck breaking was well acted. The entire episode was. Actually hyped for next episode now. Also knew straight away Huell would come after the vet said something about the tight space. Glad he's back.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Huell must have lost 100lbs.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess they could always say he gained the weight as time went on.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Loved Huell coming back. The last scene was so intense. I am not sure what they do with Jimmy, but you have to think Chuck's license is now gone.

Andy
    What a fantastic episode, the best of the entire run so far. I wonder if they'd go as dark as Chuck killing himself, seems like a definite possibility.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I can't be the only one who figured he was dead when he smashed his head in season one. They could go the route of separation or Chuck in a mental home but I'm pretty sure Chuck McGill is done one way or another.

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    That really was an amazing episode of television.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck you Chuck.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well going on what we know from the future we need an answer to the followwing questions:

What happens to Chuck?
    Why does Jimmy change his name and law firm?
    Why does Jimmy and Kim break down and what happens to her/her law firm?
    How does Hector end up in a wheelchair, unable to speak etc?
    What does Ignacio do thats so bad Jimmy expects to get popped for it? (could be point above).

That should take us through season 4 maybes then a jump to after BB? I wonder how much depth they are going to go into regarding the aftermath of Heisenberg. There was still a few questions left unanswered such as what happens to Jessie and does the chain get traced to Madrigal? Does Elliot and Gretchen follow through with passing the money on and does Skylar get pushed in by the feds? It would be pretty cool to get a few more tie ups even if its just Saul explaining a few loose ends or something.

too big to fail Tainted Eclipse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    outstanding episode, maybe the best of the series. jimmy being sad and reluctant while pulling the big reveal on chuck was great.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought that was the best episode they've done so far. Just absolutely tremendous stuff. I'm blown away by how good this show has turned out to be. I just expected a fun show with some Breaking Bad fanservice. It's turned out to be a truly great show in its own right.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    i think episode for episode so far it's definitely better than breaking bad so far, though i don't know if it can manage to get as exciting as breaking bad was at its best.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First season of BCS was definitely better than the abbreviated first season of BB. Season two of BCS so far has probably been better than second season of BB. But I would agree BCS probably isn't going to be as good as BB was seasons 3-5. That was some of the best television ever.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first hald of season three has been better than the first half of BB season 3 which was mostly Jesse feeling sorry for himself and Walt arguing with Skylar whilst Jnr debated about breakfast.

2nd half went into overdrive though. I thibk thus far BCS is of a higher standard consistently but BB had much bigger highs.

BCS only works that well because BB did all the character ground work for several for the characters though. A lot easier to get the serious of and running when everyone knows who everyone is.

Andy
    Good episode this week.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howard says it's a turning point for Chuck, but it's also for Jimmy.

As Rebecca says to him, "You got what you wanted. Now it's time to do what's right." To which Jimmy answers, "Yeah... no." He sounded like Saul Goodman in that moment.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    This show makes me so happy.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tyrus, Gus's black henchman, has a fat gut now lol.

Good episode. I liked how they introduced the name of Saul Goodman. It wasn't some super dramatic reveal, just Jimmy doing another character to sell his commercial time. So many star wipes. It'll be interesting to see what Jimmy does for his year long banishment from the law, or rather how he gets around that.

I forgot how Lydia was introduced to us in Breaking Bad and that she was Gus's associate.
    Last edited by Fro; May 17th, 2017 at 12:41 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Good episode this week.

I dont think they are that far off BB tbh. Probably about a year out. They move the timeline super fast, BB torywise was only two years. I reckon sometime in season four we'll catch up to Season 1 of BB.

Im gonna hazard a guess that Ignacios beat down of Krazy Eight inspires im to turn informer, introducing Hank and Gomie into the fold.

Nacho uses the pills to poison Hector and induce his stroke. They both seem fapirly imminent.

Tuco had his sentance pushed to six months and he has just got out in season 1 BB so it might all unfold in that time.

Im suspecting Krazy Eights new dealer who crapped it and done a runner was Jesse.

Theres only really the one year ban in the way of the timeline being quicker but Jimmy/Saul may find a way round that.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Jimmy knowing about Gus and Mike will probably come near the end of this season. Gus has enough influence or is gaining enough that he will find a way for Jimmy to get reinstated early perhaps by changing his name. Its going to be a dark day when they finally destroy Kim and Jimmy. Also, Jimmy has every right in the world to tell Rebecca to get bent. Every right.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In for this finale tonight. I think something big will happen.

Been a stellar season, probably my favorite of the 3 seasons.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn. Excellent season.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    S3 finale spoilers

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad to see Chuck die, but... I feel indifferent. Jimmy tried to make Chuck be better in a way yet Chuck still hated him. We saw less of Saul than I expected though. He redeemed himself a bit. That scene with Chuck was masterful McKean needs an Emmy now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really sad end to a pretty tragic character. Great season.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Nice Recap Fro.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    Such a dark ending.

Can someone clarify, when Mike did some work on Chuck's house, what did he do again? I remember him taking photos, but did he leave something in the wall? Was that what was using up the electricity in the house? It was only a few weeks ago, but I already can't remember.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cuba
    Nah he just fixed the door that Jimmy booted in.

Who stands to inherit Chuck's estate? Was the sale of his share of the business secured? I didn't see him sign any documents, but the passing of a $3m cheque suggests it was.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chuck is a prick, fuck him. Was interesting to see Jimmy go pretty much full Saul last week but revert back to Jimmy this week.

Great finale though, what a fucking beautiful show.
    (INSERT SIGNATURE HERE)

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlon Dingle View Post
    Such a dark ending.

Can someone clarify, when Mike did some work on Chuck's house, what did he do again? I remember him taking photos, but did he leave something in the wall? Was that what was using up the electricity in the house? It was only a few weeks ago, but I already can't remember.
    No I don't think he left something in the wall, although that would be an interesting theory. He just took photos of the crazy way Chuck was living, and Jimmy used those photos in the bar hearing. Showing how he was using a gas lantern over a bunch of papers and stuff - which was a fire hazard - and now that I think of it that foreshadowed the way Chuck killed himself.

I don't know exactly what was using up the electricity - Chuck found a wire in the wall eventually (after tearing up his whole house) didn't he? But then the wheel was still turning even after that. I think it was just random electrical shit, idk.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be fair we don't know for sure Chuck is dead. I'm confident he is - but logically there's a chance firefighters got to the house in time to save him.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't we see Jimmy doing work on an outlet as like a flashback during the descent into madness or am I crazy?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think there's too much of a debate - it seems like the majority of people here agree in thinking that he's actually dead largely because Chuck's story seems to be over. I don't see too many people saying otherwise. But the way the episode ended did leave it a bit ambiguous and I'm the sort of person who likes to consider other possibilities beyond the obvious outcomes so I was suggesting ways the Chuck story could end horribly and have an impact on Jimmy without Chuck dying. But realistically, even I think that his story has been leading to something terrible happening at some point so it might as well happen now. It just seemed to go around in circles. I see how it was necessary to the birth of Saul, but it was getting a bit redundant. Honestly I'd rather have seen Chuck try to find some sort of purpose than to see him in a bunch of flashbacks from this point forward. If he's dead then I don't know what purpose a lot of flashbacks would have either. I'm sure it would all be well done however the flashbacks are handled, but I kind of hope they're few and far between unless they're actually going to be applicable to events happening in Jimmy/Saul's current and future life and move the story forward at a faster pace. McKean's comments indicate that Chuck is gone - but it wasn't made quite as clear on Talking Saul. I've found him to be irritating over the last three seasons, and nobody will be happier than me if he's finally gone for good. I would've much preferred to have Mike in the finale than spend time on Chuck. I really thought Chuck should've been institutionalized years ago and nobody was doing him any favors by catering to his delusions.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    I think Chuck was an excellent part to the story. The reveal he was behind Jimmy not going anywhere at HHM is still one of my favorite moments of the show if not the entire Breaking Bad Universe. The court scene this year was also excellent. I will kinda miss Chuck. My biggest problem was the resolution to the Sand Piper story. Jimmy really did work his ass off to get that case as well as protect the elderly. He was also correct in stating that Davis and Main were just squeezing Sand Piper for more money while their clients had a limited life span. I didn't like what he did the old women either. That felt really scummy even for him. I am glad he made amends though.

The best part was the use of Gus sparingly. They hyped him coming back, but he didn't take over the series instead he was used correctly to advance Mike, Nacho and the cartel storylines. I am a bit terrified of Kim's fate. I do believe that once Kim is gone, we will get Saul. Its a weird that I want to see him be Saul, yet I really love Kim.
    Last edited by lotjx; June 21st, 2017 at 10:30 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Why would that be weird?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Kim is amazing. The kind of person and personality that takes a woman from a 7 to an 8.4.

43rd Best Rajah Poster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    To be fair we don't know for sure Chuck is dead. I'm confident he is - but logically there's a chance firefighters got to the house in time to save him.
    The actor is quoted as saying he is dead but has been asked to return for flashback scenes. But then so was Jon Snow so who knows!

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want Saul. I want Jimmy to stay and Jimmy, have a nice legal practice and live happily ever after with Kim.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obviously the last two seasons of Breaking Bad were phenomenal - but the first three seasons of Better Call Saul have been better for me than the first three of BB
    (INSERT SIGNATURE HERE)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think Kim dies. Just because she's never mentioned on Breaking Bad doesn't mean she's simply dead at that point of the story. She clearly isn't around because Saul bought the vacuum package for himself. And we know there's an option to buy a package that includes your family in the move.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saul bought the vacuum package that left him in approximately the same place working with the same people?

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

august 6th. yes.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Lydia...fuck..I can't wait to see if they really go into the organization behind all of this.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lotjx View Post
    Lydia...fuck..I can't wait to see if they really go into the organization behind all of this.
    she appeared on BCS last season as well

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First 3 episodes this season have been excellent. this show really is in its stride - maybe the best drama on tv in 2018? I find the Jimmy/Kim/Howard stuff to be the most intriguing at the moment. That scene in episode 3 where Kim went off on Howard when he was settling the estate was classic Kim. I love that chick. Mike is still the man, Gus is still a badass and I certainly enjoy all the Breaking Bad hat tips (the scene with you-know-who in the chemistry department was great) but it's sort of just some great window dressing to supplement the heart of the show which is Jimmy, Kim and Nacho.

For anyone who didn't know, the burglar that Jimmy hired is the dude from Breaking Bad who runs Vamonos Pest Control.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't love this episode. For me, I think it felt like a lot of setup without any meaningful payoffs - Jimmy completes the heist, but hasn't sold the piece, and we don't have payoff there; Kim is feeling the heat of Mesa Verde's plans; Gus works himself into the start of his own manufacturing; Nacho survives, I guess? Do we know? I don't see any evidence for this though I suppose it's possible.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what are you talking about? Clearly Nacho survived. And you aren't supposed to get the payoff in the same show. That's what a series is. Are you ok?

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    I'm curious about all this Walter White talk of late. They say the black and white scenes are not after the finale.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what walter white talk? the black and white scenes seem to be after the finale. where else would be that be taking place? It's at a cinnabon in Nebraska where they said he was going and he was shown watching commercials of saul goodman?

With these last two posts, it feels like I am watching a different show lol

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol I think Brock's post was fine except for the part about Nacho surviving. I agree with him that the heist was sort of a "where are they going with this" plotline. I think it's just that Jimmy is choosing to go back to his slippery ways even when he is very talented and could get any number of steady jobs until his legal license comes back. so okay we are heading down the path of Saul Goodman and he is in a dark mindset which is all well and good but the heist for the $8000 figurine or however much it was worth just seemed kind of like 'who cares'. Kim had a much stronger episode, although I don't get why she's so mopey that her client is expanding. hire more paralegals, build yourself into a larger practice. is it too big for her to handle? maybe but Mesa Verde seems to still love her. not sure why she was so turned off.

to lotjx's post, yea idk what he is saying about the flash forwards. we know when those are taking place within the storyline of both shows (i.e. after the finale of Breaking Bad). not sure what the question is there.

I have not heard any walter white talk except that Cranston was on the set at some point this season for a visit. you can't have him interact with any of the lead characters since he met them all during Breaking Bad - plus his character was just a boring high school teacher in this time period - so I don't know what a cameo by him would accomplish. I think I heard some chatter about whether or not BCS will eventually cross over into the BB timeline but I kind of think that would be unnecessary. IMO it should end right when Walter and Jesse approach Saul plus whatever resolution/climax comes to future Jimmy in the black & white scenes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol I think Brock's post was fine except for the part about Nacho surviving. I agree with him that the heist was sort of a "where are they going with this" plotline. I think it's just that Jimmy is choosing to go back to his slippery ways even when he is very talented and could get any number of steady jobs until his legal license comes back. so okay we are heading down the path of Saul Goodman and he is in a dark mindset which is all well and good but the heist for the $8000 figurine or however much it was worth just seemed kind of like 'who cares'. Kim had a much stronger episode, although I don't get why she's so mopey that her client is expanding. hire more paralegals, build yourself into a larger practice. is it too big for her to handle? maybe but Mesa Verde seems to still love her. not sure why she was so turned off.

to lotjx's post, yea idk what he is saying about the flash forwards. we know when those are taking place within the storyline of both shows (i.e. after the finale of Breaking Bad). not sure what the question is there.

I have not heard any walter white talk except that Cranston was on the set at some point this season for a visit. you can't have him interact with any of the lead characters since he met them all during Breaking Bad - plus his character was just a boring high school teacher in this time period - so I don't know what a cameo by him would accomplish. I think I heard some chatter about whether or not BCS will eventually cross over into the BB timeline but I kind of think that would be unnecessary. IMO it should end right when Walter and Jesse approach Saul plus whatever resolution/climax comes to future Jimmy in the black & white scenes.
    I'd be very happy with a simple cameo, just Walter White waiting in line at a store somewhere behind Jimmy or Kim.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol I think Brock's post was fine except for the part about Nacho surviving. I agree with him that the heist was sort of a "where are they going with this" plotline. I think it's just that Jimmy is choosing to go back to his slippery ways even when he is very talented and could get any number of steady jobs until his legal license comes back. so okay we are heading down the path of Saul Goodman and he is in a dark mindset which is all well and good but the heist for the $8000 figurine or however much it was worth just seemed kind of like 'who cares'.
    But I think it's all leading somewhere. we aren't and shouldn't get all the answers now.

Also, I thought the heist scene with Jimmy was fantastic and hilarious. I thought it was one of the high points of the episode.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    I've been off sick with a virus for a few days and have battered through this in no time.

I can't complain about a single thing. Phenomenal acting, brilliantly paced. The fact we know where these characters end up but its slow unravelling of how they get there is glorious.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    The creators have stated that black and white scenes may not be after the finale, but during Walt on the run. Plus this story.

https://www.thewrap.com/better-call-...-creator-says/

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess that could theoretically be true. How long was Walt on the run? A year?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    this is really such a brilliant show, totally unlike any other show made. if i were to make a list of my top TV dramas ever, it might be as high as number 3 (behind sopranos and the wire).

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tainted Eclipse View Post
    this is really such a brilliant show, totally unlike any other show made. if i were to make a list of my top TV dramas ever, it might be as high as number 3 (behind sopranos and the wire).
    So you put it above Breaking Bad? Or when you say this is unlike any other show made, are you including Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul as one entity?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    i think better call saul is better than breaking bad, though they're very different.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tainted Eclipse View Post
    i think better call saul is better than breaking bad, though they're very different.
    are they very different? I think the writing/directing/editing style are very similar so I would disagree when you said it's totally unlike any other show made. stylistically it is pretty much the same to me.

now plot wise, I hear what you're saying. it's a different character arc and a different pace. there is not the urgency that Breaking Bad had where Walt was given a death sentence in episode one and was living recklessly on the edge ever from that moment. Jimmy and Kim are not in those extreme circumstances, they are just a couple lawyers trying to make their way in life. the Gus and cartel stuff that has become a bigger part lately is more similar to BB but Jimmy/Kim/Chuck/Howard are in a different realm for sure, more akin to a legal drama.

in terms of putting this above breaking bad, I would disagree but I can respect that. this show is very very good right now.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's a hot take to say Better Call Saul is better than Breaking bad. Yes it's a very good show but I think people forget how good BB was. I feel like those that say Better Call Saul is better are just trying to be different.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that I prefer BCS to BB, I think it’s a richer and deeper series without being as exciting.

I think that the heist was a perfect demonstration of how Jimmy is unraveling a little when unchecked by having Chuck around acting, for better or worse, as his conscience.

I thought Kim has been PHENOMENAL the past two episodes, losing it at Howard and her reaction to Jimmy flippantly reading Chuck’s letters were great televisual moments of character development and just superb pieces of acting from all three involved, but particularly Kim.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Season 4 hasn't been as good to be honest. The show misses Chuck's presence, and to an extent Jimmy/Saul hasn't been the focus to its detriment. Lots of shows have had success following different characters and plotlines, but, at the moment this is two different shows squeezed into forty minutes. And I prefer the Jimmy/lawyer stuff, because we all know where the drug shit is heading anyway. Wouldn't be surprised if they run right up to the beginning of BB then jump forward to post-BB for like the last two episodes (like the time jump forward in BB). The year he spends disbarred and how he's spending it will be the catalyst for him becoming a criminal lawyer. I guess I've been a bit disappointed at the morphing into Saul and not the career of Saul.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I agree season 4 has not been as good thus far.

If there were no breaking bad I don't think we would possibly rate this show as highly as we all do. It's unquestionably the best drama spin off ever and I'm including homicide: Life on the streets.

Breaking Bad was the more complete show at this point 4 seasons in. I also think by the end of BCS, Breaking Bad will still feel like the more complete story. The real answer here is to rate the shows together as they are truly just an extension of one another.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The Gus rise to power is pretty well documented now. I really think if they spend some time on Pre-BB Saul this could go on for another few seasons.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t agree to be honest. I prefer the first three seasons of Better Call Saul despite its handicap of always having to lead up to BB. When you rewatched BB you realise that there was a lot of filler in it around the highlights.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I have not done a BB rewatch.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    The pińata scene was so fucking satisfying in that episode. Gus and Hector storyline is fantastic, I think its great knowing how it ends as well, the amount of times Gus could have just murdered him but is waiting for his perfect moment. Its absolutely fucking glorious. I love this show.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't believe we're already 6 episodes through the season with only 4 to go. I feel like at the beginning of the show people were saying "when will he become Saul already?" and now the sentiment is "don't become Saul yet! I want more Jimmy!"

Mike is such a good character that even something like the building of the meth lab which we didn't really need to know this much detail on is something I am enjoying greatly. That German punk better stay in line!

The last episode was directed by Andrew Stanton of Pixar fame (directed Finding Nemo, WALL-E, etc).

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    That German (possibly all of them) are toast.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read Sepinwall say that while the Gus scenes are pretty great, he is the only character who isn't really getting fleshed out. He is all business. It was cool in Breaking Bad to see the flashback where he was with his partner who got killed by Hector - he actually seemed like a person in those scenes. So I agree with Sepinwall that it would be nice to get a little more of his personal side and not have him continue to be a robot all the time.

He looks noticeably older in this show, IMO, but the show is so good that I really don't care. Mike probably does too but he was already such an old fart that I don't notice it as much.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mind that the show moves at a snail's pace, I enjoy it all - I'm just worried that they'll get to a final season soon and have to cram a ton of events into too few episodes making the ending feel rushed, diametrically opposed to all the other seasons. Because if they end when Jimmy becomes Saul, everyone will be disappointed. Did we need a five minute soliloquy from Gus? I think it's becoming clearer that Kim's behavior of late is motivated - perhaps not completely consciously - by a desire to not partner with Jimmy once he's allowed to practice again. Something big is going to happen there, probably in the finale. I miss Michael McKean. Howard feels like a character becoming less important to the show, but I hope he keeps popping up. It almost feels like they're done with his character and transitioning him out of the show.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terrific season. I’m not in the “BCS > BB” camp but who even cares, they’re both tremendous. I read that Vince has become more hands off as he works on other projects. Peter Gould is the sole show runner now but you wouldn’t know it from the quality which to me is still plateaued at its top form. And now it might move to the next level next season based on what happened at the end. We finally made it, it only took us 4 seasons!! Jimmy got me with his speech, I thought it was sincere and when he revealed himself to Kim afterwards it was not only shocking how fake he had been but also he totally slighted Kim and basically called her a sucker asshole too since she was crying in there. No fucks given about her in that moment at all. A shocking revelation for her and the audience. Very well done. S’all good man

Mike’s reluctant but eventual step of adding killing to his duties under Gus was well done. Mike had a great finale, and I like this Lalo guy too. People are clowning how he went up in the ceiling and dropped down but I didn’t particularly mind it. Gus Mike Lalo Hector Nacho- even if the construction stuff this year was somewhat of filler, this group of guys has me excited for what comes next.

Saul finally arriving opens up so much for him to do on the show. Next season can’t come soon enough.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was an amazing episode, maybe the best ever. What a show!

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved the finale, loved the season.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's back! Really good first episode back, thoroughly enjoyed. The consistency of this show is unreal, even the worst episodes are better than 90% of the other shows.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangers View Post
    It's back! Really good first episode back, thoroughly enjoyed. The consistency of this show is unreal, even the worst episodes are better than 90% of the other shows.
    Yep really good premiere and episode 2 is tonight.

It will be tough to see Saul’s rise through Kim’s perspective. She’s not feeling it at all.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's something very cool from Episode 2 (includes spoilers for Breaking Bad and BCS):

Another really good episode - the scene of Saul running around the court wheeling and dealing was so full of joy. I could watch Bob Odenkirk as a flim-flam man all day.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangers View Post
    Here's something very cool from Episode 2 (includes spoilers for Breaking Bad and BCS):

Another really good episode - the scene of Saul running around the court wheeling and dealing was so full of joy. I could watch Bob Odenkirk as a flim-flam man all day.
    Good shout. I had forgotten that fact about Krazy 8 in Breaking Bad.

Definitely was a great episode. Mike is not coping well with killing that guy. I'm interested to see how he gets back on the saddle with Gus given that, seemingly, his disdain for what he did for Gus has now led him back to alcoholism and depression. I'm trying to remember - did Mike ever kill anyone innocent in Breaking Bad? Possibly not, but he certainly was back in the saddle with Gus who openly threatens to kill innocent family members as part of his weekly routine.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think he killed anyone that wasn't 'in the game' so to speak. It was pretty shocking to see him lose his temper with Kaylee who has always been his anchor to the real world or his life as a good man.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea that was a real low point for him. At this point I think Gus has to do something significant to win back Mike's employment. You know how Gus told Nacho to win Lalo's trust and Nacho did the thing to save the stuff? Similarly, I feel like something will happen where Gus will prove himself trustworthy to Mike. I don't know what that will be. But Mike has too much baggage (his family) and too much of a moral compass (compared to Gus) to just go back to working for him without a new development in their relationship.

I read a review today that said Mike and Saul have been fleshed out so much, but Gus remains a rather shallow cutthroat villain. It would be nice if we saw him get more fleshed out before this series wraps up.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that's a given on the basis of Lalo's comment about 'what happened in Chile' in response to Bolsa. Definitely some further backstory incoming.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That switch flipped pretty fast. That's got to be the most emotion we've seen out of Mike yet, no? Of course things get patched up between this point and BB so I'm not sure how much more in depth this tangent needs to go. Mike is obviously still hurt from his son dying. Doesn't like talking about it. He's not a good guy. In this episode I got the impression he was intentionally trying to break his relationship with them thinking he was too toxic to be near them. That's why he marched out announcing that Kaylee didn't eat dinner suggesting he didn't even try to give her the apology she deserved for yelling at her for no reason at all from her pov.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Certainly since the early seasons when he told all the backstory about his son. He has been cracking gradually though; his outburst at the group therapy session last season where he called out Kevin from Brooklyn Nine Nine for being a phony, and then he was obviously (even more obviously now) distraught at the whole Ziegler thing. He's realising how much colder and harder he'd have to be to be part of that world, so you may be right that he's deliberately trying to get clear of Stacey and Kaylee.

By the way, I know a lot has been made of the recasting of Kaylee and the general confusion about her age and the lack of consistency with which this has been dealt with across the two shows. All I will say is it may be confusing but the new actor is way better based on those scenes, so I'm happy to let it slide.

Here's a musing and keen to know what you guys think it might mean - in the flash forward it ends with Gene hanging up the phone and as he walks off the focus significantly blurs before going to the opening credits. The first shot afterwards is Kim and the opposite happens - the shot starts off heavily blurred and she walks into focus. What could that sort of thing be interpreted as?

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    A cool visual effect

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is Vince Gilligan we're talking about. Everything means something.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cuba
    What a waste of beer.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sadly I had the big thing about episode 3 ruined for me by being on Reddit about two months ago which is a shame.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Szn 5 Ep 3 spoilers

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another great one last night. Saul is full Saul and that's so much fun. My only complaint is that Gus to this point is still way too rigid, like an android or something. I mean this guy has no life whatsoever outside of being a villain. I hope that changes soon because I do feel like his scenes are the low point of the show now. Speaking of which, so Mike woke up in that compound in the end. I'm guessing that's a Gus joint.

My only other comment is about the man fucking horse picture, I can't wrap my head around why that was a successful method for Saul to use on that old guy. Lol.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed. Plus I really miss Gus being the cheery Los Pollos Hermanos owner, always makes me laugh.

I loved Saul pulling that in the courtroom - obviously he wouldn't be allowed to do that but I wonder if it would work; I mean he made his point that the shopkeeper ID'd the wrong guy right?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was anybody else worried that something was gonna go wrong with those drops and poor Lyle was gonna get pushed face first by Gus into that deep fryer?

Great season so far.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watched the latest episode. Loved it. Kim breaking bad and Saul pulling all the tricks against Mesa Verde was a blast. I do feel bad for Kim I mean she's going down the wrong path here. And for what? Remind me if I'm missing something, but basically she likes her pro bono work and would prefer to defend the old bastard instead of tearing his house down for the bank which is fair enough but to go this far as to risk her career over him? Cmon Kim. She's snapped and I don't really see what the trigger was to get her to go so far against her own client. I mean even on a moral level as a lawyer she shouldn't be doing this. Anyway I didn't watch the preview for next week and I have no clue what she's going to use against the CEO guy from the pictures of his house but I hope she somehow manages to come out of this successfully without losing her job/client.

The Mike/Gus scene at the end was good. I know I could google it but I'm assuming Max was the name of Gus's gay lover who got killed by Hector. I still feel Gus would be better if he had a new boyfriend or something and wasn't just a terminator style revenge seeker but it was cool.

I was rooting for Bill Burr to show up when Saul hired the PI. Was the guy who did show up ever in Breaking Bad? Not that I recall.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Max was his 'business partner', also point of interest, that character shares a name with the actor who plays Krazy 8. No idea why they named a character after him, assume it was a rib of some kind.

The guy who did the PI work wasn't in Breaking Bad, but was in season 1 of Better Call Saul, he was one of the three guys (along with Mike) hired by Price as protection. He was the show off that Mike humiliated before doing the job on his own. He's played by Steven Ogg who has also had great turns on Walking Dead and most famously as Trevor in GTA5.

All about the trivia today.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rhea Seehorn is sheer brilliancy. That scene with the impersonations was gold. She's killing this season.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    You're right. She is fucking killing this season. Just outstanding stuff.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She’s the endlessly fascinating character played to perfection. She is brilliant. They really can hold this show together just on the quality of her, Saul and Mike, each of them just going about their thing is a joy to watch. Not really that interested in Gus or Nacho to be honest.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goodman v Wexler was a great episode but I didn't quite understand her marriage comment at the end. Breaking up made a lot more sense.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    One thing a friend told me is the whole not being able to force someone to testify against their spouse.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Sepinwall's recaps.

He also has a feature on Seehorn which I haven't read yet but will soon.