User Tag List

Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Tennis Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tennis Thread

For most of the Grand Slams someone makes a thread, and I know there's an review/preview thread around here, but why not have an official thread? There's more tennis than just the slams and other sports have it so why not?

2005 seems destined for injuries.

Three men were injured at the Hopman Cup this week, Mark Philliposous (spelling) and Tommy Haas both pulled their groin muscle and Coria strained his back.

Henin-Hardenne withdrew from the OZ open earlier today and we all know the deal with Clijsters.

Match results for today

Intercontinental Champion mj the kid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldnt count Phillipousis as an injury - He is just a big cat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno, he pulled out of the rest of the tournament forcing Alicia to play with someone ranked even lower.

In other news, Jennifer Capriati has officially withdrawn from the OZ open. Shame but she won't lose any points over it sicne she didn't play last year.

On an interesting note, with Henin and Cap gone, that puts 6 Russians seeded in the top ten. #3 Myskina, #4 Sharapova, #5 Kutznetsova, #6 Dementieva # 9 Zvonareva and #10 Petrova.

The only two who I feel can truly challenge the might of the Russians for the championship are Davenport and Serena. Venus, while she could upset one of them, isn't a true contender for a Grand Slam right now. If a Russian does win it, I'd hope for Dementieva or Myskina. As long as Sharapova doesn't win I'll be happy, and she won't. She's never beaten a top 20 player on a hard court.

My Status Doesn't Suck
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd talk a lot more, but nothing's happened yet. I'm all over during the Australian Open.

The men's rankings look funny during the first week. Joachim Johansson ranked #2...Heh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the official draw for Australia has been made. you can find it at Australianopen.com

Assuming the top 8 all get to the quarter's we're looking at
    Federer vs Agassi
    Safin vs Moya

Hewitt vs Coria
    Roddick vs Henman

On the women's side we have
    Davenport vs Venus
    Myskina vs Dementieva

Mauresmo vs Serena
    Sharapova vs Kutznetsova

Other matches to look for are Molik vs Venus in 4th round, Zvonareva vs Kutznetsova in the 4th round as well as Ferrero vs Coria in the 3rd round. I just hope everyone is playing well and is healthy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hewitt into the Sydney the final.

Tough draw in Aus Open but for Lleyton.

My Status Doesn't Suck
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex
    Assuming the top 8 all get to the quarter's we're looking at
    Federer vs Agassi
    Safin vs Moya

Hewitt vs Coria
    Roddick vs Henman
    I'd be shocked to see Guillermo Coria in the quarterfinals of any Major other than Roland Garros this year. Everyone else has a nice shot. I doubt Moya makes it that far either.

Federer/Agassi should be a classic. Agassi had Federer on his heels in the U.S. Open before that delay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beforehand
    I'd be shocked to see Guillermo Coria in the quarterfinals of any Major other than Roland Garros this year. Everyone else has a nice shot. I doubt Moya makes it that far either.

Federer/Agassi should be a classic. Agassi had Federer on his heels in the U.S. Open before that delay.
    Coria made it to the quarters of the US Open in 03, and he gave Andy a run for his money in Miami last year. He'll have to be healthy and playing well to do it, but his draw isn't terribly tough so me may pull it off. Lleyton vs Guillermo would be great.

I agree Agassi/Fed could be great, but there's some talk of Andre's hip being injured, an injured Andre would be devoured by Roger.

Interesting note is that Hewitt has never made it past the 4th round of Australia.

My Status Doesn't Suck
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coria made it to the quarters of the US Open in 03, and he gave Andy a run for his money in Miami last year. He'll have to be healthy and playing well to do it, but his draw isn't terribly tough so me may pull it off. Lleyton vs Guillermo would be great.

I agree Agassi/Fed could be great, but there's some talk of Andre's hip being injured, an injured Andre would be devoured by Roger.

Interesting note is that Hewitt has never made it past the 4th round of Australia.
    I mean, Guillermo Coria circa Tennis Masters Cup, and thus, circa now...I could even see Tomas Berdych giving Coria an early exit. Is Coria 100%?

Yeah, I just read about Agassi's injury, but let's face it, if they play, Roger will be the one moving around the court, not Andre.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coria played pretty well at the Hopman Cup earlier, but Oliver Rochus beat him this week.

And I agree that even a game Andre won't take down Roger. Andre has been beaten easily by Roger in the past as much as the other players. I really don't see Andre playing any better than he did that match and he ultimately lost.

I hope Ferrero does well, his 2004 was plagued by injury and illness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hewitt wins Sydney.

Stosur - Molik final aint bad - Guaranteed Aussie double in the tournament for the 1st time in 29yrs..

My Status Doesn't Suck
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coria played pretty well at the Hopman Cup earlier, but Oliver Rochus beat him this week.

I hope Ferrero does well, his 2004 was plagued by injury and illness.
    Olivier Rochus seems to be making the move everybody reserved for Rafael Nadal and Tomas Berdych this year, but then again, we are only two weeks in.

For some reason, I like Juan Carlos Ferrero, and I can never figure out why. It must be the three name thing.

Giving him the business. QuietStorm's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hehe. Be. Forehand.

My 5000th post. Dedicated to you.

My Status Doesn't Suck
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietStorm
    Hehe. Be. Forehand.

My 5000th post. Dedicated to you.

So, one day to the Australian Open...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ESPN something or other is showing classic finals from the OZ open.

Graf vs Evert is on now
    Sampras vs Aggasi later
    Capriati vs Hingis later

And there's one more I can't remember

My Status Doesn't Suck
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, no action from this year until tonight..

Serena Williams Vs. Camille Pin! How exciting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maria vs Sesil should be good, hopefully it gets shown. She was the one who at Indian Wells said "I can kick Maria Sharapova's ass" She didn't beat Maria but did take her to three sets.

She's said to be a good player, and I'd love to see Maria ousted in round 1.

My Status Doesn't Suck
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Maria Sharapova. I'd love to see her...I don't know, it just doesn't seem as though she's fully come through yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just see Maria as a younger Serena, which is a definate down for me. She's already started taking credit from her opponants when she lost. Case in point, Elena beat Maria at the Watson's Challenge, Maria went on to say she played about a 3 out of 10. A little humbleness goes a long way in my book.

That's what I love about Myskina. Afte defeating Venus at RG, she said something along the lines of "She hasn't been playing as much and has had injuries. That probably had a lot to do with it. And if someone can beat her, it's going to be here."

Federer crushed Santoro tonight. It was almost painful to watch. Santoro's a good player too. He beat Hewitt last summer.

I kinda thought Pin might give Serena a little more trouble, especially after the first couple games, but Serena's groundies and returns were just too much.

Sugiyama was upset. Moya is currently down 2 sets but looks ready to take the third. Agassi advanced. Zvonareva advanced. Pierce was upset by Choen-Aloro....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Federer just blew Santoro off the court earliar today.

Moya is out.

Who is playing in the night session?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sharapova and Amelie both played as well as Marat Safin.

For live results, you can go to livescore.com

It's useful since they dont have time to show most of the results on TV.

My Status Doesn't Suck
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who do you guys think benefits the most from Carlos Moya's loss? At first, I was thinking Thomas Johansson, but as I look a little further in the bracket, Guillermo Garcia-Lopez might just have paved Dominik Hrbaty's way into the quarterfinals, at least.

Defiance is a four letter
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both Greg and Tim through to the next round.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If my Maria loses this match I wont be too happy.

Fucking come on you gorgeous 17yr old russian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maria pulled it out.

Lee-Waters gave Sharapova all she wanted and then some. She did exactly what I've been saying people need to do against Sharapova.

Give her the angle.

It sounds odd. You think Sharapova would eat it up because she loves creating angles. But that's the problem. She creates them. She doesn't hit a good ball from the angle, and when she does, it's back cross-court 90% the time.

Her footwork is the worst of the top ten also. Sharapova is good, but will not live up to her hype. She'll be halted by Kuzzy in the quarters if she makes it there.

Scare also for Amelie Mauresmo tonight. Marat's kid sister thrashed through her in the first set, but just ran out of gas and only won one more game after that.

Sharapova will not win this tournament.

Myskina on the other hand. Now that's an Ozzy player. If she can get through Lisa Raymond in the third round, which may be tough as Raymond is excellent here, she should make it to at least the semis, and if Davenport is anything under 100%, Myskina could pass through.

Dementieva, can't take the heat of Australia. I'll be surprised if she's able to hold up to the quarters, but if she does Myskina should await.

Davenport should beat Venus. Venus played only alright against Eleni, her footwork was notch above last year I though.

Mauresmo, if hey body holds up likely faces Serena Williams, who's she's 1-8 against. Amelie has the game to beat Rena, but won't let herself do it. I foresee a great match if they both hold through, but Rena will come on top.

As I said Kuzzy will make it through Sharapova. She's playing amazingly, has dropped just four games in two matches. The controversy is having what appears to be a reverse effect of what we expected. It's making her play better and she's a threat to anyone.

My final? Myskina vs Kuznetsova.

From what I recall their last meeting was at Roland Garros last year. Myskina won 1-6 6-4 8-6. It should be a good one if it comes down to that, and a Russian four in a row.

For the men, Federer and Roddick.

I'd like to say Lleyton but really, he has too much pressure he. He's never even made the quarters. Too bad as he's so close to passing Roddick. But he can still do it.

I'll be torn if Coria and Ferrero duel in the 3rd round. I don't want either out that early, but I'll root Ferrero as he has more to lose.

Edit: Forgot to say, Sharapova better not take Na Li lightly. She's one of the leading ladies of the emerging Chinese who will ruffle some skorts this year.
    Last edited by Rex; January 19th, 2005 at 2:19 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hewitt will make the final. He thrives off the pressure, and to be honest there isnt much pressure on him this year. Most of the media are just getting behind him and hoping that he can go as far as possible, where in the past they have expected him to win it.

Maria

My Status Doesn't Suck
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just some thoughts, looking at the men's draw...

If Hewitt's going to win the final, he's got to hope Federer won't be there. I don't think Hewitt can do it against Federer.

What I think will be an interesting test for Federer will be a potential U.S. Open rematch with Marcos Baghdatis, the kid who has the same kind of all around game, just at a lower level. He's like 18, but he even managed to take a set from Roger at the U.S. Open last year.

I'm interested in a Joachim Johansson/Andre Agassi matchup too. After seeing Joachim overpower Andy Roddick last year at the U.S. Open, it will be interesting to see if Andre can play his "testing your fitness" style.

Olivier Rochus! Look at him go! Marat Safin awaits if Rochus gets past Karol Beck, and Mario Ancic can't pull the upset.

I hope to God that Gaston Gaudio doesn't make it to the quarterfinals. I don't think he can beat Dominik Hrbaty, though, truth be told. I'm so sick of Gaudio in the top ten!

Like Rex, I like the thought of Guillermo Coria taking on Juan Carlos Ferrero. I like both of them, and I hope they show it here on American TV, but alas, probably not.

About Ferrero, did anybody hear the announcers on ESPN2 speculating about Ferrero and Sharapova's relationship?

I'm interested in Rafael Nadal. If he can keep winning, he could meet up with Hewitt in a couple rounds. And it would do Hewitt well to remember that Nadal is one of the lucky people to beat Federer last year...

My Status Doesn't Suck
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mj the kid
    Maria

I had to go to bed after the second set against Lee-Waters.

The Joel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Her footwork is the worst of the top ten also. Sharapova is good, but will not live up to her hype. She'll be halted by Kuzzy in the quarters if she makes it there.
    If Sharapova wants to beat Kuznetsova, she has to start playing with the same intensity and and a mixture of relentless violence/brutality in her ground strokes that she played with at Wimbledon. Sharapova will need her emotions to take her all the way in this tourney, let alone past Kuznetsova. Even if she can get into the semis, I can't see her winning it all.

Scare also for Amelie Mauresmo tonight. Marat's kid sister thrashed through her in the first set, but just ran out of gas and only won one more game after that.
    I personally still can't see Mauresmo winning a slam - not yet, and not with this field. Oddly enough, this is the year to do it for Mauresmo, as next year, it will be the same group, as well as possible potential contenders that will have blossomed this year (i.e. Molik, Vaidisova, Jankovic, etc.), and the return of notable former No. 1's Capriati, Henin-Hardenne and Clijsters. I see Mauresmo possibly finally winning one at the US Open, where a similar power gamer's technique won her the US Open - Kuznetsova. But on top of that, Mauresmo has a good serve-and-volley game, another added bonus that helped Rafter in his prime.

Myskina on the other hand. Now that's an Ozzy player. If she can get through Lisa Raymond in the third round, which may be tough as Raymond is excellent here, she should make it to at least the semis, and if Davenport is anything under 100%, Myskina could pass through.
    I've got respect for Myskina - she's totally disciplined-textbook character, and these characteristics WILL lead her to another Slam victory sometime in the future.

Dementieva, can't take the heat of Australia. I'll be surprised if she's able to hold up to the quarters, but if she does Myskina should await.
    I completely agree. Dementieva has worked her ass off, and I'd love to see her win a Slam this year, but I can;t see it being the Oz Open.

Davenport should beat Venus. Venus played only alright against Eleni, her footwork was notch above last year I though.
    Hmm... Venus has to get through a girl on a roll in the 4th Round first, who's on her way up. Alicia Molik could score an upset over Venus. If Molik can fluster Venus or even add a little bit of pressure, Venus will beat herself, much like what has been seen in the past two years from Venus. I'd personally love to see Molik advance into the Quarter's. If Molik plays consistently this year, and plays a lot of tournaments, she could pull a Zvonerava and qualify for the year-ending championships. She's won something like three of her last 5 tournaments entered and jumped up the ranking by about 20+ positions since her bronze-medal performance at Athens (I think it was bronze, anyways...).

For the men, Federer and Roddick.

I'd like to say Lleyton but really, he has too much pressure he. He's never even made the quarters. Too bad as he's so close to passing Roddick. But he can still do it.
    For the fan's sake, I hope it's not Roddick. He's plateau-ed, and he needs to change something (admittedly, he does have a new coach, but the effects of this won;t be felt for a while). I ultimately think only 2 people can challenge Federer in this tournament, if they're playing their best games - Safin and Hewitt. Hewitt has bulked up, and added some power to his game, and I know in my year-end review, I said Hewitt had the least chance out of Roddick/Safin/Hewitt of beating Federer, but I've changed my mind, obviously. I'm hoping for a Hewitt/Federer final. Safin is too emotional still, though I don;t think that may ever change, and he won;t have the consistency to pull off beating Federer. So I'm calling a Hewitt vs. Federer final, but Federer still winning.

I'll be torn if Coria and Ferrero duel in the 3rd round. I don't want either out that early, but I'll root Ferrero as he has more to lose.

I just want Ferrero of '03 back ... I'd love to see his A-game match up with Federer's, especially on clay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with you, Roddick vs Federer is boring to me. I'd love to see Lleyton do well, I just don't see him making it to the final. Even when he was the number one in the world, he only made it to the round of 16 here.

Suzuki tested Federer a bit. Even broke him. Roger seemed to enjoy the challenge too. His disection of Santoro must not have been much more fun for him than it was to watch.

Venus takes on Peng tonight. Could be an upset for the Chinese upstart. She beat Myskina and Petrova (To be fair, Myskina was injured and didn't want to be there and Petrova retired towards the end of the second set) but I've heard good things about her. Asian Seles. Uses both hands on both sides.

If Amelie wins a slam, I think it will be here, maybe not this year, but at OZ. Her game suits the courts well and if she makes it past Serena, she'll have confidence maybe? Wishful thinking I know.

I agree Molik should have a break-through year as well as Jankovic (though it could be argued last year was) I don't see Vadisova doing it though. Couple years. Another 15 year who will be big in a few years is Sesil.

I love Oliver Rochus. He's such a tough little guy. It'd be entertaining to see him play Safin, there would be about a foot height difference.

Interesting last night that both the #2 and #4 seed dropped the opening set of their matches.

Blake taking on Hewitt tonight. That should be very interesting indeed.
    Last edited by Rex; January 19th, 2005 at 6:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blake and Hewitt will be good later this afternoon.

Federer is simply a freak - Some of his shots last night were just ridiculous.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forget the final, the second round contains a cracker -

Roddick vs Rusedski

We all know how good Roddick is but a lot of people under-estimate Rusedski. This is his favourite surfice to play on and he has pedigree in being a former US Open finalist. If he's on form this one could go to five.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Youzhny

Nadal will win the 5th set now I think

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hewitt is playing like shite!

Fucking hell Lleyton lift your game quick!

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    australia
    The 2nd set tie breaker did it for him... played some strong points and came back from a set point down to win it 7-6 then cruised home in the last two. Tops work Lleyton!

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After watching Roddick - Rusedski anyone betting against Roddick needs some attention.

First set he played perfect Tennis. Perfect.

My Status Doesn't Suck
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coria's never beaten Ferrero...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Safin is injured.

Maria tonight followed by Agassi and Dent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Safin has had ankle problems for a while. He said it was no biggie.

Impressive 2 and 0 win for Maria. Na Li is a coming up in the rankings after being away for a few years.

play starts in 1 1/2 hrs.

Is anyone else annoyed by the coverage? All we've really seen are Williamses, Sharapova, Roger, Andy, Lleyton and and Andre.

And they wonder why ratings are low for finals sometimes?

Why would anyone care about a say, Dementieva vs Kuznetsova final at this point. Dementieva hasn't even existed on television except in an interview saying she didn't want to talk to Sveta.

Myskina and Amelie are world number 3 and 2, and have had a combined coverage time of maybe 5 minutes in 20 some hours. We've seen 3 Sharapova matches, 3 Serena matches, 3 Andre matches and 3 Roger matches.

Nothing from Coria. Little from Safin. Nothing from Henman. Little from Nalbandian. Nothing from Myskina. Nothing from Mauresmo. Nothing from Dementieva. Nothing from Kuznetsova. Nothing from Molik.

Someone who doesn't really follow tennis won't even know who Molik is, and what if she makes it to the quarters or semis? She'll be a virtual unknown while they could be using this time to build her up.

American's can care about Foreigners. Martina Hingis, Federer, Hewitt, Justine and many more can testify.

My Status Doesn't Suck
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm excited for Roger Federer against Baghdatis. As a Federer fan though (his semifinal match at Wimbledon last year was the first match I watched EVER.), I worry that Baghdatis might be able to take a set off of Roger, and with Andre Agassi looming, I want Roger to be off of the court as quickly as possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is anyone else annoyed by the coverage? All we've really seen are Williamses, Sharapova, Roger, Andy, Lleyton and and Andre.

And they wonder why ratings are low for finals sometimes?

Why would anyone care about a say, Dementieva vs Kuznetsova final at this point. Dementieva hasn't even existed on television except in an interview saying she didn't want to talk to Sveta.

Myskina and Amelie are world number 3 and 2, and have had a combined coverage time of maybe 5 minutes in 20 some hours. We've seen 3 Sharapova matches, 3 Serena matches, 3 Andre matches and 3 Roger matches.

Nothing from Coria. Little from Safin. Nothing from Henman. Little from Nalbandian. Nothing from Myskina. Nothing from Mauresmo. Nothing from Dementieva. Nothing from Kuznetsova. Nothing from Molik.

Someone who doesn't really follow tennis won't even know who Molik is, and what if she makes it to the quarters or semis? She'll be a virtual unknown while they could be using this time to build her up.
    Interesting - The coverage here has been superb een if the commentators are terrible. Obviously Molik has had every game televised, Mauresmo has been on a bit. Safin has had all his covered.

Thanks to Foxtel digital we get a choice of 3 courts at an time

Cmon Lleyton tonight!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim Courier is the exception - he is a great commentator.

Pretend School Teacher
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Henman = Poor. Totally out played today.

Molik through to thr 4th round but will need to play a LOT better to beat Venus.

Her last game to tie it up was bloody excellent though, 3 aces and one unreturnable serve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spitting isnt cool.

Glad Lleyton got through.

Big day of tennis tomorrow - Agassi/Johansson and Federer/Baghdatis on centre court.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coria's never beaten Ferrero...
    He thrashed him

Pretend School Teacher
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am about to make a bold prediction. The men's final will be between Agassi and Hewitt.

I actually think agassi is the only person with a real show of beating federer.

I think Hewitt can beat agassi though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mj the kid
    Interesting - The coverage here has been superb een if the commentators are terrible. Obviously Molik has had every game televised, Mauresmo has been on a bit. Safin has had all his covered.

Thanks to Foxtel digital we get a choice of 3 courts at an time

Cmon Lleyton tonight!
    Argh, ours in the states is terrible.

They chose to show Roddick/Melzer AGAIN instead of televising Hewitt/Chela! It wasn't even a good match and they show it twice.

The men's coverage has been alright, not good but alright, it's just the women's that's driving me nuts. The top three seeds have only gotten maybe an hour, with the final set of Davenport's 2nd round being shown.

All they've been doing is wondering if the Williams' can win another major. If it's Mauresmo vs Myskina in example, no one in the States has a reason to care because they haven't even seen these two the whole tournament. I think tonight we're getting another Serena match, at least it's against a decent player though (Petrova)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couple quarters set now

Kuznetsova vs Sharapova

and

Federer vs Agassi

Joachim sure gave Agassi all he wanted, nice test for his match against Federer and since the points were short, he shouldn't be too tired.

Pretend School Teacher
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Federer v Agassi is definitely the match of the tournament so far, and could well be the best of the whole damn thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joachim sure gave Agassi all he wanted, nice test for his match against Federer and since the points were short, he shouldn't be too tired.
    51 aces

Agassi - Federer will be on Tuesday night I imagine.

Hewitt - Nadal isnt the night game
    Will be on late tomorrow afternoon.

Pretend School Teacher
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    51 aces is enough to win over 2 sets alone. He must have had a lot of unforced errors. I was flicking but generally watching the cricket.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He did have a lot of unforced. I believe it was around 50 unforced but 90 some winners.

Normally I don't like watching the big sluggers, but this was entertaining.

Safin pulled it out against Rochus

4-6 7-6 7-6 7-6

I though Oliver might come through but the big Russian was too much for the tiny Belgian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhhhhh

Dementieva vs Shynder and Myskina vs Dechy on and what do they show?

Roddick vs Koelshreiber.

What the fuck.

My Status Doesn't Suck
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The worst thing about American coverage is yet to come.

I want to watch Guillermo Coria Vs. David Nalbandian, but alas....No luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hewitt Vs Nadal on in 30mins - Should be a cracker.

My Status Doesn't Suck
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's getting a bit late, I might not be able to catch much of Nadal/Hewitt.

I'd love to see Nadal Vs. Coria/Nalbandian next round.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Myskina is down 4-6 2-5! FUCK!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Myskina gone.

Time for Nadal to get bitchslapped by Lleyton.

CMONNNNNNNNNNNN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goodbye my beautiful Natya. The tournament won't be the same without you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She has a horrible mouth. I wouldnt say no but

Nadal breaks in opening game - I think his backhand is going to get really worked over here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wooooooooooooooooooooo

What a win for Lleyton.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Molik knocks out Venus.

Wednesday is Australia day - Hopefully both Lleyton and Molik continue their runs.

Pretend School Teacher
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Molik was bloody outstanding, she played so much better than when she beat Panova. Taking V Williams out in straight sets is no easy thing. GO MOLIK!!!

She really beat williams at her own game which was awesome.

Brilliant fightback from Lleyton as well but Aussie performance of the day goes to Molik for mine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For sure.

Lleyton was awful - Over 60 unforced errors!

My Status Doesn't Suck
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did anyone see where Davenport said after her match that "Venus is too strong on both sides for Molik."? Now, it looks like Davenport is going to have to try to eliminate Molik herself.

Pretend School Teacher
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lleyton should be able to beat whoever wins out of Nalbandian and Coria but he had better be on his guard for (I assume) Roddick.

I think molik can beat Davenport. I really think she can stick it up her if she plays as well as she did tonight.

Pretend School Teacher
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did anyone see where Davenport said after her match that "Venus is too strong on both sides for Molik."? Now, it looks like Davenport is going to have to try to eliminate Molik herself.
    I didn't hear that no, but that comment would provide just the mental firepower Molik would want facing the #1 seed. She should keep her mouth shut if she doesn't want 20 aces flying past her nose at 200km/h

My Status Doesn't Suck
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the Molik/Davenport match could be interesting.

I think that Hewitt should be OK, but Coria stands more of a chance if he can finish of Nalbandian in straights here, obviously.

Man, Roddick hasn't had to do much of anything to get to the quarters, and I think he should probably beat Nikolay Davydenko pretty easily too.

My Status Doesn't Suck
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really anxious to see what happens with the Lleyton Hewitt/David Nalbandian matchup. I think Hewitt is prone to upset in this one, as is Marat Safin, for that matter, against Dominik Hrbaty.

I think Alicia Molik's run is just about up, and probably Maria Sharapova's too, even though I like her, and hope she takes the title.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hewitt Vs Nadal was awesome. I hate Nadal though.

Pretend School Teacher
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definitely think Molik is capable of beating davenport.

I also think Davydenko can beat Safin, he totally crushed Henman.

Really looking forward to Agassi -v- Federer though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mariaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

The Joel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm... I'll start with the women's side.

First of all, I called Molik upsetting Williams, because I am a tennis god. I have the match recorded, but I've only watched the first few games... The stats don;t look too appealling for either of them, but the fact that she did it in straight sets is a testament to her skills.

As for Venus, Mary Joe Fernandez, ESPN announcer, called it pretty clearly when she said that this would crush Venus in any attempt to really come back... I have to agree, the psychological toll on Williams may be really hard to handle.

I AM surprised, however, that Sharapova beat Kuznetsova, just when I was ready to call a Davenport/Kuznetsova final, too... Nobody had played better than these two, and though I haven't seen the match, I am still quite anxious to watch it.

S. Williams and Mauresmo were a toss up... I dunno about Mauresmo, though... Maybe she'll pull a Novotna and win her first Slam relatively late in her career. But I still can;t see her competing at Wimbledon, and especially not at Roland Garros, considering she cracks uner the littlest amount of pressure, and she's FROM France. She may still have a shot at the US Open, but a slim one if everybody's healthy by then.

Molik CAN beat Davenport, but I don;t think she will... The more and more I think about it, it may be a Davenport vs. Williams final, which I may actually WANT to see... If Molik beats Davenport, the semi's of that top half will be very interesting, with a great opportunity for Schnyder/Dechy/Molik to get into the finals. But again, Davenport has been playing the best women's tennis in this tournament so far, so I can't see that happening.

As for the men's side...

I don;t think Agassi can give Federer much trouble, not with the way both of them have played for the past year and a half. I saw some Hewitt matches, and he looks built and more powerful... They've yet to show any Safin matches in Canada (through ESPN2), and they've shown Roddick far too many times... But, from what I can see, Roddick has done nothing spectacular, but he hasn;t really had to do anything at such a level. This may ultimately hurt him more than help him.

Beyond that, there hasn;t been that much men's coverage... Hewitt vs. Nadal was an awesome match, though.

In the end, I'd love to see both Aussies walk away with the title. Failing that, Sharapova, Davenport and Safin are other favourites. And Federer, but that should jsut be assumed by now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoel

In the end, I'd love to see both Aussies walk away with the title. Failing that, Sharapova, .

Navratilova is still amazing - What is she 48 now?

Pretend School Teacher
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes but she makes some funny quotes..

Martina Navratilova on the Rod Laver Arena "When this place fills up there won't be an empty seat in the house"

My Status Doesn't Suck
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless Marat Safin can come up big, I think the last obstacle for Roger Federer has just been removed. Simply awesome looking against Agassi, he doesn't look as though he has much to worry about form Lleyton Hewitt or Andy Roddick.

I hope that the winner of Maria Sharapova and Serena Williams (hopefully Maria) wins this tournament. The other side of the draw does very little for me, especially Nathalie Dechy.

The Joel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this tournament has been great so far for both sides of the tournament. You have the top-ranked men playing the best tennis, as they should (Roddick, Hewitt, Safin and Federer) and on the women's side, Despite there only being 3 of the top 10 seeds remaining (excluding Molik), the finals will still be "main-event material."

Anyways, Williams seems to be playing too well for Sharapova this time around, but I'd love to see this rivalry get really heated. I'd like to see Sharapova advance to the finals. If nothing else, I hope she will prove by year's end that she wasnt just a flash in the pan.

As for the men's side, I still think Safin and Hewitt have the best games to match Federer, and hopefully he will at least be TESTED and have to show off some beautiful tennis in the semi's against Safin and in the finals against, hopefully, Hewitt.

Either way, I'm sensing more and more hype toward the Australian Open this year than in past years, though this may just be because I'm hardcore... .

My Status Doesn't Suck
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For some reason, I just cannot buy Hewitt as a legitimate challenger to Roger Federer. I don't know why, but I just can't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's because he isn't.

My Status Doesn't Suck
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought so.

The Joel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After Federer, Hewitt has been playing the best tennis in the past 6 months, and this new power approach has really been beneficial. He's adopted more power, but at the same time, has certainly remained true to his true talent - the return/scrapper game.

Let me ask you, if not Hewitt, who?

Safin's game can match it, as I've made clear, though his inconsistency and mental game will haunt him. Roddick's plateaued and with a 1-8 record against Federer, Roger knows just how to outplay Roddick and handle his game. Other big name players, such as Moya, or Coria or Henman just don't have a big enough, all-around game, and Agassi was schooled last night.

is better than torn @ rba
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoel
    Other big name players, such as ... Henman

Henman would get mauled.

The Joel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Henman was actually one of only a handful of players to beat Federer last year.

In today's world, yes, he would get mauled. I don't think Henman is a good tennis player at all... Anybody who reads my posts around Wimbledon-time (from previous years) knows this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The population of Britain minus those with a brain cell (so about 50 million or so) will disagree with you.

He's terrible.

Streetwalker
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Henman is vastly underrated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *overrated

The Joel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JIJ
    Henman is vastly underrated.
    You can't be serious. I mean, I'm all for cheering on your favourite players or going for whoever's from your country, but there still has to be SOME level of obectivity.

I'm just going to cringe when Henman calls it a career and all of you Brits piss and moan about how he should be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Henman is the last top ranked player to beat Federer. I don't see how he would get mauled over anyone else.

Pretend School Teacher
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Henman was terrible against Davydenko. Apart from that one second of brilliance (the behind the back shot) he was diabolical. He will never match it with those who play the power game. There isn't much to smile about in British Tennis right now, Rusedski is a totally spent force and I have no idea if there is any british women in the top 50.

Pretend School Teacher
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today Davenport may have beaten Molik, but Molik definitely won her way into the group of serious contenders for this year's major tournaments.

My Status Doesn't Suck
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn! I was hoping big time that Nalbandian would pull off the victory. Oh well, at least Lleyton's worn down for Andy Roddick now.

I REALLY don't want to see a Federer-Hewitt final after the U.S. Open. I don't particularly want a Federer-Roddick final either, but I'd rather have the latter.

Here's to Lindsay Davenport Vs. Maria Sharapova in the women's final.

Pretend School Teacher
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As much as I am a hewitt fan, I don't think he can beat roddick after these two five setters. He looks buggered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What an epic game that was last night. The whole club pretty much stopped and watched LLeyton on the big screen. That man has some guts.

Roddick isnt actually such a bad game for Hewitt now. The points wont be as long so hopefully the injury wont flare up. Still its going to be bloody tough backing up for it.

COME ONNNNNNNNN

Maria on now against Serena - I fear for Maria here, Williams has been pretty good whilst Maria has been patchy.

Pretend School Teacher
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lleyton has defeated roddick the last couple of times they have played, but roddick is yet to play a match over 2 hours so far. Fatigue must be a factor here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The crowd will also play a big factor I hope.

Mariaaaaaaaa dominating

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Serena rallying back. Second set 7-5.

Love her or hate her, Serena is Queen of comebacks.

My Status Doesn't Suck
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ugh. Come on Maria!

And for some reason still, I'm hoping Lleyton bites the big one against Andy tonight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lleyton is going to rape him I hope.

CMON MARIAAAAAAA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and Serena really needs to cover that ass up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never realised Serena's arse was so big .

2 match points now.