User Tag List

Thread: Job Guy Destruction

Mentioned
    297 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Job Guy Destruction

Just finished watching Yokozuna vs Dan Dubiel from the very first Raw of 1994. Yoko just about squashed the guy's head. Kicked his heels out and landed hard on this particular Bonzai Drop. You can see referee Jack Doan trying to lift Yolo by the arm (good luck) as the camera pans down to show Dan screaming for Yoko to get off. Makes you wonder if this was the day Vince explained to Yoko that he'd be dropping the title at Wrestlemania X. He definatley looked to be in a grouchy mood coming down the aisle.

I definatley didn't enjoy these matches as much when I was a kid. I can appreciate them so much more as a adult. Even today I feel like they could bring out the jobbers to help get people over. I feel like they only do with big monsters they want to get over as monsters like Braun or Nia in the women's division. Why do you need to be huge to get a "exhibition" match to display your moves to get them over by eating up a job guy?

So I thought I'd start a thread on your favorite jobber murder. I know I've seen Mr. Perfect and The Steiner Brothers demolish a few in my time. Who was your favorite job guy? Least favorite? Who was your favorite superstar to work with the underneath guys? I know I've seen Shawn Micheals make a few look better than they were. Favorite Superstar that you knew was just gonna eat up a jobber and spit them out? I love a great squash so post some here for everyone to enjoy or list the where abouts of a job guy destruction for people to look up.
    Last edited by Jarrod1983; July 18th, 2017 at 11:00 PM.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The big pro of how they used to do things was this.

When all of your wrestlers are undefeated on tv, the big name match ups at live events and ppvs mean WORLDS more.

But alas the game has changed. It's not about drawing houses anymore. It's about tv rights fees. So the tv needs to feel "must see".

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to think a thread like this would begin and end with the Jobber to the Stars, the man we all know as Al Snow.

Today's best jobber is someone who knows his role, and makes his opponent look terrific. In my mind, Heath Slater fits this description. James Ellsworth would have been the guy but since he's a male valet to Carmella, and has successfully gotten us to care about her, he is more than a jobber. But it was a genius move giving Ellsworth the mic to interview him and others before Strowman's squash matches.

Not that long ago, I recall Ryback getting a pile of squash victories over jobbers like Stan Stanski - perhaps the best ring name ever - which lead to his catchphrase "Feed me More!"

Pete Gas, of The Mean Street Posse, deserves a ton of credit for taking vicious bumps to make the stars of the Attitude Era shine brighter.

SD Special Delivery Jones lost a few second Wrestlemania Squash to King Kong Bundy, in the most famous squash match ever.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still can't believe that dan dubiel got a title shot. My favorite one was Red Tyler vs Bad News Brown. That fake snake bit was laughable
    Last edited by Bluegunn; July 19th, 2017 at 12:37 AM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Red Tyler, that's the same guy that wrestled Mr Perfect with half his ass hanging out..

Favorite jobber has to be Iron Mike Sharpe and as strange as it sounds, Koko B. Ware is one cat (bird?) I wouldn't want to face if I were a jobber, his top rope dropkick and the Ghostbuster always looked nasty when he did them to the poor job guys. Of course, I'd stay way clear of Vader and the Steiners as well..

Looking through old NWA tv episodes the ones that gave the jobbers absolutely nothing was Barry Windham, Jimmy Valiant and the Rock N' Roll Express. Of course the Road Warriors didn't either but that was kind of their gimmick.
    Last edited by OD50; July 19th, 2017 at 3:25 AM.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Bray Wyatt is my least favorite jobber.

My favorite would have to be the Brooklyn Brawler.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seth Rollins just lost to a jobber twice.

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    does Duke The Dumpster count as a jobber? if so he is my fav

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always like Kai En Tai. First real comedy jobbers I remember watching. Just threw themselves everywhere, always ended up getting hurt. Taka Michinoku took a huge bump in the rumble that one year (2000?).

Mentioned
    297 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive Plasma View Post
    I always like Kai En Tai. First real comedy jobbers I remember watching. Just threw themselves everywhere, always ended up getting hurt. Taka Michinoku took a huge bump in the rumble that one year (2000?).
    Yes Rumble 2000. King kept asking to see a replay of Taka getting tossed. If I remember correctly one of the Mean Street Posse takes a pretty rough shot too in that match.

Bagel
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive Plasma View Post
    Those guys were awesome.

Mentioned
    297 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I do quite enjoy Funaki getting his 10 seconds every big show when they introduce all of the foreign announce teams. He is just waiting for Vince to say go get in there Funaki! I wouldn't mind him getting some time on 205 Live.

Mentioned
    297 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by 3puppies View Post
    Not that long ago, I recall Ryback getting a pile of squash victories over jobbers like Stan Stanski - perhaps the best ring name ever - which lead to his catchphrase "Feed me More!"
    I think Vince must be a fan of using the same name for enhancement guys. I remember Ray Raymond when I was a kid. I used to take my Ghostbusters and use them as jobbers to my Hasbro figures. Any skinny looking human figure would do but I gave them the jobber names from TV. So I had Ray Raymond and John Paul. Mark Thomas as well. Vince must have been a fan of names including two first names as well.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorite "jobbers" were the ones that were like a notch above the real jobbers but still below the bottom of the card guys. Barry Horriblewitz, Brooklyn Brawler, Pez Whatley, and Iron Mike Sharpe. The 4 Horsejobbers.

WCW had some good jobbers too but they were more like today's "jobbers" where they actually had theme music, somewhat of a gimmick. T. Rantula, Mean Mike Enos/The Mauler, Disorderly Conduct was the jobber team, Ron Reis. Loved Ron because anytime someone was set to face The Giant, you bet your sweet ass the week prior that person would be facing Big Ron Studd as a warm up.

I wish they still used enhancement talent, legit enhancement not what we see where they develop a guy for years only to just start having him lose left and right. Guys like Heath Slater, Bo Dallas, Jinder Mahal, Rob Conway, Stevie Richards.....If you have a character, music, merch (even if it's one shirt), you shouldn't be booked this way. Nobody wants to go to a house show to see "losers" wrestle for 20 minutes and then have fans walk out going "So why did we just sit through a 20 minute Rob Conway v. Shelton Benjamin match when Rob has lost every televised match in less than 3 minutes...."

Mentioned
    297 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The Four Horsejobbers is priceless. That made me laugh.

Jobber
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked Colin Delaney's stint in WWECW.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    Seth Rollins just lost to a jobber twice.
    Jobbers do win on occasion. I recall the 1-2-3 Kid upsetting Razor Ramon and Ted DiBiase, and you had Barry Horowitz upsetting Skip.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought Jinder only beat Seth once at the house show, when was the 2nd?

Mentioned
    297 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Smart Remark View Post
    I liked Colin Delaney's stint in WWECW.
    Colin could go. I live near Syracuse and they had a small group called 2CW and Colin would work there. Cool as hell, he'd hang out with fans. He put on more than a few great performances in tag matches with Jimmy Olsen as his partner.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this thread has changed from favorite jobber squashes to favorite jobbers. If that is the case based off of description Jimmy Snuka's second run counts him a jobber. Heck in 2014 Damian Sandow had a record of 13 wins and 153 losses and Sandow lost 146 matches which would categorize them as a jobber. And can't forget about Corporate Kane.
    Maybe we should go back to developmental jobbers or jobbers in all major promotions, otherwise I could say my favorite jobber was Ultimo Dragon or even Mr Perfect from the early 80s. Real jobbers need some love lol.
    I do love the fact that HHH has lost to more jobbers than most established stars as he has lost to Duke Drose, Tracy Smothers, and the Brooklyn Brawler
    Last edited by Bluegunn; July 19th, 2017 at 2:44 PM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just don't think you can classify established talent as "jobbers" like you would say Pez Whatley or Barry Horriblewitz. Even Barry's 1 "thank you for jobbing forever" storyline with Skip didn't elevate Barry to the same status as Jimmy Snuka in 1990-1991. Why? Snuka was beating jobbers he just lost to younger guys. Sure, he put over Mr. Perfect a lot but he was still handling Jim Smith and Tom Zenk with ease.

Mentioned
    297 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I just figured it could be all things jobber related Bluegunn. I said in the beginning talk about favorites or least favorites. I got the idea from that Yoko squash though. I swear Dubiel's neck the next day must have felt beyond sore.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Hey now, Z-Man was the WCW TV champion in 1990, not some jabroni jobbing to Jimmy Snuka.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OD50 View Post
    Hey now, Z-Man was the WCW TV champion in 1990, not some jabroni jobbing to Jimmy Snuka.
    In an alternate universe Tom Zenk never made it to the top of pro wrestling, I need to remember which universe I'm in at all times to avoid confusion.

Mentioned
    297 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    I just don't think you can classify established talent as "jobbers" like you would say Pez Whatley or Barry Horriblewitz. Even Barry's 1 "thank you for jobbing forever" storyline with Skip didn't elevate Barry to the same status as Jimmy Snuka in 1990-1991. Why? Snuka was beating jobbers he just lost to younger guys. Sure, he put over Mr. Perfect a lot but he was still handling Jim Smith and Tom Zenk with ease.
    I agree with ND. A established guy might be used to get new talent over. Doesn't mean he's a job guy. Damien Sandow won the MITB breifcase for instance. Gives him credibility to get someone else over in the future. Barry Hardy or John Chrystal for example never got a accolade to begin with before they did the J-O-B.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    You know, I think the term "jobber" means different things to different peeps, for us, uh slightly more senior folks it means Barry Horowitz, Mike Sharpe and the Mulkey Brothers while to the slightly younger fans it means pretty much anyone below the upper mid-card,

Mentioned
    297 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    True OD50. Some people didn't get to grow up with squash matches. Why I love the network. My 9 year old doesn't understand the old jobbers. He hasn't caught on that they mostly lose. He'll root for a guy then he proceeds to get destroyed. He has even made remarks to the effect that they don't look likepeople normally look now. It is a shame really wrestling used to have all sorts of shapes and sizes.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OD50 View Post
    You know, I think the term "jobber" means different things to different peeps, for us, uh slightly more senior folks it means Barry Horowitz, Mike Sharpe and the Mulkey Brothers while to the slightly younger fans it means pretty much anyone below the upper mid-card,
    When I hear someone call say Heath Slater a jobber, I take it as someone is insulting him/the booking, not that he's in fact a jobber. I mean keep in mind, the guy who brought up Snuka isn't exactly unaware of the term's meaning as anyone who remembers watching Jimmy Snuka back in 1990 is probably 30-35 at least.

When Owen lost to Stone Cold at Summerslam, we actually started saying people were "Owen'd" instead of "Jobbed out". The worst job ever was that match, straight up.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By today's age I think the term Jobber is mixed with Jobber to the stars. Slater is someone I think is the later as he can destroy a jobber any day. Only real jobber they know of is Ellsworth. Only place you can really find jobbers now is on NXT and 205 live unless they want to develop a monster like Strowman or Ryback. You can find them at live events too. Guys like Tino Sabatelli, Mr Bronson, and Brennan Williams. But even then you only really see them in battle royals.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically calling someone like Heath Slater a jobber is a knock on him, not that he's an actual jobber. Jobbers don't have championships and storylines in the company they work for. They don't win unless it's a fluke. Someone brought up 123 Kid. He wasn't a jobber. That was the way they were bringing him in. If I call someone like say Bo Dallas a jobber, it's just a way to insult the guy, so in that respect I definitely feel the term's meaning can have a loose meaning to it.

Mentioned
    297 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yeah Kid definatley wasn't brought in as a jobber. Vince knew where he was going but had to lay the groundwork first. That is why Kid lost to Doink and Mr. Hughes. He had to be viewed as underneath so his eventual victory had more impact. Each time he had a new name as well. Lightning Kid. Cannonball Kid. That is why once he beat Razor he took the moniker The 1-2-3 Kid. It was all Vince's way of 1. turning Razor face but not in a traditional way and 2. introducing Kid but not just airing vignettes like they do. It was good booking all the way around.
    Last edited by Jarrod1983; July 19th, 2017 at 5:02 PM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll never understand why they thought 123 Kid was a good name.

Mentioned
    297 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I'll never understand why they thought 123 Kid was a good name.
    Right. That seems like a question for Bruce on his podcast. You can almost here Bruce doing Vince saying something like and the kids will rally behind him and chant ONE...TWO...THREE...it'll be MAGNIFICENT!

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod1983 View Post
    Right. That seems like a question for Bruce on his podcast. You can almost here Bruce doing Vince saying something like and the kids will rally behind him and chant ONE...TWO...THREE...it'll be MAGNIFICENT!
    I actually think Bruce or Waltman did say that was the thought process....That people would chant "1-2-3" for him. I guess...but even when I was what, 12 at the time, I thought it was a shitty name.

Mentioned
    297 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Lol Maybe that's why that bad Vince was echoing in my brain.

Mentioned
    297 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Definatley a bad name though. I don't know what else they would use if Lightning Kid is off the table.