User Tag List

Thread: Conor McGregor vs. Floyd Mayweather - August 26th, 2017

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conor McGregor vs. Floyd Mayweather - August 26th, 2017

Noticed there is no thread for this. I know a lot of people are either into the fight or think it will be a circus fight, but I am sure everyone will watch.

Has anyone been watching the press conferences?

The first one was in LA and was rather awkward because both guys didn't really know the formats and apparently Conor's mic was cut off during it when Floyd was talking. The second one was in Toronto and Conor was absolutely epic and vintage. The third one was in NY last night and I love Conor, but he was pretty cringe. 2pm EST is the last one in UK.

Press Conferences

LA (skip to 47 mins in)

Toronto (skip to 1 hour 46 mins in) (must watch for entertainment)

NY (skip to 2 hours 26 mins in) (Conor's worst mic work)
    Last edited by Spedizzo; July 14th, 2017 at 9:32 AM.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was being annoyingly sarcastic in a thread yesterday about this fight, but I must say, Conor is not at his best here. In MMA, he is confident and sure of himself. In this setting, he looks a bit concerned. Mayweather is definitely playing the heel here, but it feels too scripted. It's out of the ordinary for Mayweather to highlight his weaknesses. Mayweather was blantly calling out his age, speed and strength versus Conor, in what felt like a feeble attempt to downplay his ability and enhance Conor.

Bottom line, this is all about the pay day for these guys, and as long as McGregor doesn't come out of this looking like an embarrassment, this fight will be a win.

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought Conor was really good in Toronto but really out of form in NY. Apparently he has been getting heat for being a racist because he has been calling Mayweather "boy", so he tried to play it up and joke about it in NY by praising Biggie and joking about his dick but it fell really flat.

Conor is used to fighting guys lately who make way less than him and uses that as ammo. That isn't the case here. Mayweather has been doing this gimmick where he will talk to Dana White in front of Conor about how they have money and are the "bosses" while downplaying Conor which is a funny headgame.

It's definitely scripted in the way they are trying to outperform eachother on the stage. They are used to typical Q&As but in these scenarios are given hot mics and are expected to just sound off. 4 nights of that is TOUGH.

I am interested in seeing how McGregor rebounds in London. He had a lot of momentum from Toronto going in NY, but man, that was bad.

I did notice Mayweather was wearing platform shoes yesterday to make him on Conor's height which was odd. Conor kept calling them high heels.

Mayweather's juice head entourage are a bunch of pussies too.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just hate how scripted this all feels. Nothing about this fight is organic. The best part of the Aldo and Diaz fights were the originality aspect. It felt real. This is nothing but an overplayed, scripted circus show.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I couldn't give a shit how put on this feels, the composure of these two amidst the enormity of the settings and the pressure to stay ahead of one another is just enjoyable as fuck.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Watched all four pressers, Toronto and London were pretty good, LA and NY not so much. All of this is silly as hell but I enjoy it for what it is, I feel that just like Ali/Inoki the actual fight will be snoozers but it will still be talked about around the campfire in 40 years. Just enjoy being part of the circus, it's all over in a little over a month.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Betting odds for McGregor have swung more in his favor to offset the amount of bets coming in. Vegas is scared. Betting on track to surpass Super Bowl in terms of money spent. This fight is going to shatter records.

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read conspiracy theories that Mayweather is building McGregor (he has a shot, yaddayadda) up so he can place tons of bets on himself

Mayweather is a HUGE Vegas gambler

his bets move the lines in sports

right now odds around Mayweather (-550) and McGregor (+335)

Mayweather against Berto odds were Mayweather (-2500) and Berto (+1100)

against Cotto, Mayweather was around (-800) against Cotto (+550)

so that means right now McGregor has better odds in the books at beating Mayweather than Berto and Cotto.
    Last edited by Spedizzo; July 19th, 2017 at 3:04 PM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The smart money for Floyd would be on round betting though. I don't necessarily think that he could just pick his time to stop McGregor from the start. But it would be a safe assumption to suggest that he could deliberately tire him out for say the first 8 and then stop him anytime he wanted to after that.

YOUR NEXT ROH CHAMP... greebull's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ehh, I'll be watching college football instead..

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, initially I had a ton of interest in seeing this, but to be honest, that interest has died off tremendously and I couldn't even fathom paying $100 for this shit show at this point.

Now Brock versus Jon Jones, that is something to fork out some cash for, or a McGregor/Diaz III.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this show was $60 I'd be getting it. I've ordered plenty of wrestling and MMA ppvs for 1 fight. I can't justify paying $100 for any fight.

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would never pay 100 for this

I will gladly go to a reasonable bar though

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only bar showing it in my town is charging a $40 cover to get in between 8-9 PM. For $60 you can get in the door between 6-7 PM for the "prefight party" and get wings, potato skins, and the like, as well as one free drink. The $40 cover gets you nothing.

I tried to get a bunch of guys to come to my place to watch it and split the cost, but only got a couple takers. Long story short, I won't be watching it.