User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to mention a lot of times Tarantino movies have 3-4 different stories going on that intertwine with each other.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Think he went downhill after Death Proof, though I thought Hateful Eight was enjoyable. I like Pitt and DiCaprio, so I may check this one out.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    Hell no. She gets the heat from all genders even ones that haven't made up their own pronouns yet.
    Sexually abusing your little sister will get you abuse I suppose.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Think he went downhill after Death Proof, though I thought Hateful Eight was enjoyable. I like Pitt and DiCaprio, so I may check this one out.
    Oh man you didn't like Inglourius Basterds or Django? Those movies, especially Inglourious were amazing.

It's fun reading back 2 years ago on what the premise of the movie might be and what it actually is. We thought this going to be about the Manson Family murders but I believe that is just a back drop or again another side story that intertwines with a centralized plot.

Because the description I read is that it's about a failed actor and his stunt double.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    To be honest I don't remember Inglourious that much, but I hated Django

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like bits of a lot of Tarantino movies, but think he’s one of the most self indulgent, ill disciplined, bloated and overrated directors in Hollywood. However I think this looks very good.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
    Sexually abusing your little sister will get you abuse I suppose.
    Her whole family sounds fucked in the head.

It's baffling that she thought admitting to abusing her little sister without expressing any sort of shame was acceptable. She treated it like a lark.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new trailer

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I was skeptical at first, but that's an excellent trailer and everyone at Cannes loved the movie.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Well, QT got into it with a female crtitc about Maggio Robbie having four lines. He came off as an ass, but the Tate murder seems to be a backdrop not the main story.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by lotjx View Post
    Well, QT got into it with a female crtitc about Maggio Robbie having four lines. He came off as an ass, but the Tate murder seems to be a backdrop not the main story.
    He curtly replied that he rejects her hypothesis. It wasn't that bad. I must have missed the revelation that she only has four lines. She's billed third in the cast, so I doubt that's the case. The Times reporter was upset because she felt Robbie was underutilized in the film. It's impossible to know if that's the case because none of.is have seen it.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, this was good. A little longer than it needed to be, probably. But what an ending.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer-Belly View Post
    He curtly replied that he rejects her hypothesis. It wasn't that bad. I must have missed the revelation that she only has four lines. She's billed third in the cast, so I doubt that's the case. The Times reporter was upset because she felt Robbie was underutilized in the film. It's impossible to know if that's the case because none of.is have seen it.
    Tarantino needs to either stop doing press or just start answering questions properly, he’s promoting his movie to the paying customer, answer a fucking question and stop acting like you’re above any potential criticism.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Tarantino needs to either stop doing press or just start answering questions properly, he’s promoting his movie to the paying customer, answer a fucking question and stop acting like you’re above any potential criticism.
    I disagree entirely. I think he's typically one of the best interviews in town because he's so genuinely passionate about film and the history of film and he speaks with such enthusiasm and nerdiness about the craft. Now in this particular instance, sure, he said "I reject your hypothesis" and didn't answer the question. Not a big deal in my eyes. It was one question out of probably 3,000 questions he got asked in this press tour. It became a blog worthy story for a day. Now if that's a trend with him that I'm not aware of then fair enough, but when I see a group press interview or roundtable with him and his cast (which has heavy hitters like Leo and Pitt), Quentin is the one I want to answer every question because he is by far the most interesting and informative and charismatic. If that comes with a little sensitivity to criticism, that's not a big deal.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not the first time he has spat his dummy out and refused to answer an interviewer's question, no.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    It's not the first time he has spat his dummy out and refused to answer an interviewer's question, no.
    true, but still, to say he should stop doing press because he occasionally refuses to answer difficult questions seems like an overreaction. he's a guy where I seek out his interviews because he reveals a lot and speaks like someone who loves what they're doing (similar to Kevin Smith who isn't much of a filmmaker these days but still a great interview/movie talking guy). I'm not doing that with other directors, not even other legends like Scorsese, Spielberg, Nolan etc who are far less interesting in their answers IMO even if they don't get upset about things (which they probably still do on occasion).

so while your criticism is fair, it seems extreme. he answers most questions better than other directors do.

to your point, I just watched a clip where he similarly shut down an interviewer (from years back, not sure if it was for Django or Basterds). the guy asked him about whether violence in movies affects violence in real life and what responsibility he has there. he refused to answer and just said his stance hasn't changed in 20 years and you can google him for it. got pretty testy. still, who cares really.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha, I didn’t really mean he should stop doing press conferences, I more meant that he should stop rejecting questions and realise that when he is doing press he is there to promote his film. It’s fair enough rejecting a stupid, badly research question or one from someone who clearly hasn’t watched the film, but the interviewers are just there to do a job, the same as he is. So just don’t make it difficult for them.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    I loved the film. I will echo about the length. I turned to my wife and said it feels like celebrities in cars hitting shuffle on 1960s hits. Having said that, that maybe one of QT's most satisfying endings in awhile. Highly recommend this.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved the film. I will echo about the length. I turned to my wife and said it feels like celebrities in cars hitting shuffle on 1960s hits. Having said that, that maybe one of QT's most satisfying endings in awhile. Highly recommend this.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I actually really enjoyed the movie overall. The last twenty minutes were insane and fun. That pit bull ruled.

Tarantino didn't even try to be subtle about his foot fetish. It's creepy. Having a foot fetish is common, but there's something skeevy about a film director indulging that kink with his actresses.

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Didn’t love it. At times it felt to me like someone trying to make a Tarantino movie and hitting his beats but not as good. Like the foot thing for example seemed even more overdone in this one like someone trying to say “see look foot fetish. Isn’t that just so Tarantino”. Sure the ending was satisfying and there were good moments in there. But as a whole I didn’t love it.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gave this movie a mental standing ovation last night. I have yet to be let down by anything Tarantino has his fingerprints on whether that's his own production or a script that he sold. This movie, ladies and gents I'm going to say this was top 5 for him of all time no question.

Incredible cast, everything looked and felt like the era. Margot Robbie is possibly the hottest woman in Hollywood today. Holy fuck. Brad Pitt was incredible, arguably my favorite role of his, could be that new car smell though.

Let me also address the early posts from Spring about QT and someone saying Robbie was underused in the movie because she only had "4 lines" (not true at all, probably 8 lol). But she sure as fuck was in the movie more than most. It's not always about the lines. Johnny Depp had Tim Burton remove lines from Scissorhands and it worked tremendously. She was fucking great.

Also, remember when Bruce Lee's daughter was trippin about how he was portrayed. Spoiler alert,

All in all, 10/10.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Nash about your spoiler

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
    Nash about your spoiler

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    You may be right. And it’s fresher in your mind. I have been meaning to give this a rewatch to see if my opinion changed. This will be the drive to do so.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
    You may be right. And it’s fresher in your mind. I have been meaning to give this a rewatch to see if my opinion changed. This will be the drive to do so.
    Oh man there are so many little things here and there that I know I missed that I'll catch the next 4-5 times I watch it haha. That's just how his movies are. I'm still finding little nods here and there in movies like Pulp Fiction.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pablo is right, Cliff is remembering a previous incident on the set of Green Hornet. Mind you this was confusing to me too when watching the film but the internet has clarified it for me. Whether Cliff's memory is exactly what went down or an exaggerated rememberence is up for interpretation.

I said this in the Netflix thread already but I very much hope he releases this film the same way he did Hateful Eight as an extended miniseries. We know Tarantino had many scenes he had to cut to get this down to a reasonable length. An extended cut seems inevitable, and the way he put Hateful Eight into 4 extended episodes on Netflix was so good. I prefer the miniseries of H8 to the theatrical cut. I feel like that could work well here too.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    Pablo is right, Cliff is remembering a previous incident on the set of Green Hornet. Mind you this was confusing to me too when watching the film but the internet has clarified it for me. Whether Cliff's memory is exactly what went down or an exaggerated rememberence is up for interpretation.

I said this in the Netflix thread already but I very much hope he releases this film the same way he did Hateful Eight as an extended miniseries. We know Tarantino had many scenes he had to cut to get this down to a reasonable length. An extended cut seems inevitable, and the way he put Hateful Eight into 4 extended episodes on Netflix was so good. I prefer the miniseries of H8 to the theatrical cut. I feel like that could work well here too.
    Ah ok.

I love the scene. I am almost positive it was inspired by the real life incident with Bruce Lee and Judo Gene Lebell.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Wait H8 is a mini series on Netflix?

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait H8 is a mini series on Netflix?
    Yes. it's 4 episodes, it's got extended footage and it's fantastic. They have the regular movie on there in addition to the miniseries, so you can pick between them.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally got around to watching this last night. There were some wonderful scenes in the movie, and the acting was fantastic, but overall it felt empty. I left the movie feeling like I missed a huge piece of the plot, but I didn't. I'm not sure how to even describe how I felt, but it definitely was an empty feeling.

I didn't love it. I didn't hate it. It was just, eh.

That all said, Brad Pitt was fantastic in this movie and should 100% get a best supporting actor nod for his role.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey_Badger View Post
    I finally got around to watching this last night. There were some wonderful scenes in the movie, and the acting was fantastic, but overall it felt empty. I left the movie feeling like I missed a huge piece of the plot, but I didn't. I'm not sure how to even describe how I felt, but it definitely was an empty feeling.

That all said, Brad Pitt was fantastic in this movie and should 100% get a best supporting actor nod for his role.
    The crazy thing is that it felt like when it was all said and done that Brad Pitt was the star. He was fantastic.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey_Badger View Post

Watched the movie today and I agree with a lot of this.