0 Thread(s)

The Mummy reboot & Universal's Dark Universe

Thread title.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    A lot of rumours flying around about how this might tie into the larger planned Universal Monsters Universe. If they are true then this has the potential to be quite good, I think.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking forward to it for that very reason. I have high hopes for the so-called "Monster-Verse" they're planning.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlon Dingle View Post
    A lot of rumours flying around about how this might tie into the larger planned Universal Monsters Universe. If they are true then this has the potential to be quite good, I think.
    Is this still only a rumour? Can't remember why but I was under the assumption that this was pretty much confirmed.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I love Tom Cruise. I can't name a bad Tom Cruise film. He's glorious.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAle View Post
    I'm looking forward to it for that very reason. I have high hopes for the so-called "Monster-Verse" they're planning.
    The monster-verse sounds cool but idk how that changes whether this movie will be good or not.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this looks good and I can't wait to see it. It would be cool if they have some Easter eggs referring to the 1932 Boris Karloff film. And I'm hoping it's good enough - and successful enough - for them to realize the Moster-verse is a great idea that should be put into production.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Not a fan of a "monster-verse". Just let the characters exist on their own without anchoring them to a shared universe.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Yeah its been announced for ages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_U...rsal_Monsters)
    TAPS AFF!

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm curious how/why would they do Bride of Frankenstein as the next movie after The Mummy without doing Frankenstein first.

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.darkuniverse.com/

I've seen some trailers for The Mummy and I think you spelled 'shit' wrong in the thread title. Hope I hear otherwise when it comes out but I've got no interest right now.
    However, I'm a massive Frankenstein fan, so knowing they've got that story coming next, with the director of the critically acclaimed new Beauty and the Beast, that's got my interest. Bardem is an interesting choice for the monster and the fact that it's Bride first is pretty surprising/intriguing. Considering the Bride herself is only in the old flick for about 10 minutes or less, I'm expecting they're going to change things up quite a bit and it seems she might be more prominent a role based on how they're talking about it. So I guess I'm going to hang tight until 2019...
    Last edited by mth; May 22nd, 2017 at 7:18 PM.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Javier Bardem as Frankenstein's monster is perfect. I feel like he was born for that role - he has the perfect look and demeanor. If Angelina Jolie is the bride (which is not official yet), that would seem like a good fit too. Johnny Depp as the Invisible Man, ehhh I'm pretty much done with Depp as an actor but I'm admittedly not familiar with that character in the slightest so I plead ignorance.

Back to The Mummy... I think it looks like good cheesy fun but it could definitely suck. They desperately need it not to suck though since it's launching this whole Dark Universe, so I bet it'll be solid.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, The Mummy starring Brendan Fraser was a childhood classic for me. I loved that movie. So that probably feeds into why I'm hyped for this (despite not even being a big Tom Cruise fan).

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Depp could be good as the man driven insane by being invisible, if they keep a similar plot.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is getting horrible reviews so I'm officially OUT. I'll watch it on HBO eventually though.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I figured the reviews would be pretty bad, but I'm holding out hope for it. A local theater has a $5 night on Tuesdays so maybe I'll catch it there.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Reviews mean nothing

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I trust the Filmdrunk review. http://uproxx.com/filmdrunk/the-mummy-2017-review/2/

" - if you like incomprehensible collections of things that vaguely resemble other things you might’ve enjoyed in the past, The Mummy is the movie for you."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    This "Dark Universe" idea was dog shit to begin with.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it's a dog shit idea. It's just about as good of an idea as making comic book characters share a universe so you can have them interact and square off with one another and cross over and all that nerdy goodness. If I'm a movie exec, then I know a Dracula vs Frankenstein movie is a money maker. But it only works if you make the movies good, so it's silly to set up this whole shared universe without having a single successful movie yet. Same way I feel about Justice League. If you're going to put out crap like BvS then who's going to care about a shared universe? Granted, comic book fans will see literally anything so in that case they can't really fail.

The concept itself is sound and in line with what Hollywood has become in terms of blockbusters, but it was premature especially if The Mummy tanks.
    Last edited by Fro; June 8th, 2017 at 1:04 PM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's a good idea, but do you think the movies will really be Dracula vs. Frankenstein or along those lines? I mean why would anybody care who wins between a mummy who wants to take over the world and an vampire who kills people to survive? Surely there must be other plots they can come up with. Movie monsters aren't exactly sympathetic characters.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would anybody care who wins between a super-powered alien and a wealthy guy who loves bats, both of whom are heroes? The idea with these share universes isn't to make high quality cinema, it's to get the masses to buy tickets by crossing over characters we've never seen interact before. I just made up the idea of Dracula vs Frankenstein, no idea if it would really happen, but that to me is the potential of this sort of shared universe. If you're not going to pit these monsters against each other, what's the point.

If The Mummy was a good movie like I was hoping it would be (a la the good fun of the Brendon Fraser version), I'm fine with the Dark Universe idea. You make one franchise a hit, then the same with the next one, and eventually you do a cross over. Could be cool if done well.

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be super hyped if it was the right kind of world but this new Mummy trailer gives me more vibes of League of Extraordinary Gentleman (the movie not the comic) than it does the classic Universal horror flicks. It seems like it's just a big summer blockbuster not a good monster-based horror film. The mummy in this looks like the shit villain from Suicide Squad. It feels like they're just setting up a blockbuster movie universe (a la Marvel/DC's films) that has monsters in it. Maybe that's your jam and you're fine with it but that's not really what I'm looking for when it comes to the classic monsters for the most part.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Surely one movie isn't going to break a franchise. They may see what went wrong with it and try to correct for the future.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    Why would anybody care who wins between a super-powered alien and a wealthy guy who loves bats, both of whom are heroes? The idea with these share universes isn't to make high quality cinema, it's to get the masses to buy tickets by crossing over characters we've never seen interact before. I just made up the idea of Dracula vs Frankenstein, no idea if it would really happen, but that to me is the potential of this sort of shared universe. If you're not going to pit these monsters against each other, what's the point.

If The Mummy was a good movie like I was hoping it would be (a la the good fun of the Brendon Fraser version), I'm fine with the Dark Universe idea. You make one franchise a hit, then the same with the next one, and eventually you do a cross over. Could be cool if done well.
    they already have the movie schedule outlined of the universe so what you are saying doesn't really make sense.

The Mummy June 9, 2017[6]
    Bride of Frankenstein February 14, 2019[5]
    Creature from the Black Lagoon August 16, 2019
    The Invisible Man April 17, 2020
    Untitled Van Helsing film TBA
    Untitled Wolf Man film TBA
    Untitled Frankenstein film TBA
    Untitled Dracula film TBA
    Untitled Phantom of the Opera film TBA
    Untitled Hunchback of Notre-Dame film
    Last edited by PurePlayer; June 8th, 2017 at 1:30 PM.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PurePlayer View Post
    they already have the movie schedule outlined of the universe so what you are saying doesn't really make sense.
    You're saying none of those untitled TBA movies could be an X vs Y movie? Why not? Seems like a pretty loose and unsolidified outline and X vs Y is what the people want.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks to me that it will specifically be a Wolf Man film or a Dracula film and not a one vs the other. At least that's how it seems layed out to me.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Things I'd do if I was invisible. Might as well be I have no friends

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reviews are total shit. 21% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I wish everyone would stop saying "lit". Particularly adults. It's fucking annoying.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by GOLDBERG'S BEST FRIEND View Post
    I wish everyone would stop saying "lit". Particularly adults. It's fucking annoying.
    I fucking hate it.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I honestly had no real clue what the fuck this whole Mummy movie shit was about until my best friend told me they were remaking other movies from 100 years ago that nobody under the age of 50 other than fucking Walt Flanagan (He's 49 FYI) gives a fuck about.

WITH THAT SAID......I did like the Wolfman movie with Anthony Hopkins from what, 10+ years ago? Pretty good. But I was never really into the Universal monster movies, probably because by the 80's when I was a young boy, we had better monsters like Freddy, Jason, Michael, Leatherface, Pinhead, we had the Evil Dead, we had Jack Nicholson in the Shining....Not to mention, we all know who to call to fuck up Dracula and his crew:

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Evil Dead was so lit.

UNSTOPPABLE. UNBEATABLE. Judas Iscariot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    It was off the chain(saw).

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These little bitch ass kids these days don't even know the OG's of the term:

If you went to high school with me and I heard you playing this song in your red '95 Grand Am with matching hubcaps or your teal Geo Tracker I would have punched you in the fucking mouth and stolen your car, put a brick on the gas pedal, and launched that bitch into the Raccoon River off a bridge. Ask my little brother.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    I did like the Wolfman movie with Anthony Hopkins from what, 10+ years ago? Pretty good.
    7 years ago.

UNSTOPPABLE. UNBEATABLE. Judas Iscariot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    These little bitch ass kids these days don't even know the OG's of the term:

If you went to high school with me and I heard you playing this song in your red '95 Grand Am with matching hubcaps or your teal Geo Tracker I would have punched you in the fucking mouth and stolen your car, put a brick on the gas pedal, and launched that bitch into the Raccoon River off a bridge. Ask my little brother.
    I fucking love that album. It reminds me of 8th grade. I still listen to it now and then.

"She wakes up lonely... She wakes up lonely... She hangs a picture by the phone... She hangs a picture by the phone. Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh she doesn't think we're gonna make itttttttttt but when I'm home we're sleeping naaakeeeeddddd. She likes to think that we're in looove."

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got my first BJ the summer that song came out and that song was on. Definitely still a great song to me!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Eww.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    Well this was a massive bag of shit.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    Can anyone tell me what the hell Tom Cruise is supposed to be at the end of this film?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom Cruise.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite possibly the worst film I've paid to see. Shit story, and worse acting.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Can anyone tell me what the hell Tom Cruise is supposed to be at the end of this film?
    Fused with an Egyptian God?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Tom Cruise is Mummy Man, the first Monster Avenger in the Universalverse...

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom is supposed to link all the movies in Universal's Dark Universe together. I guess he becomes the new Mummy.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    They should keep remaking The Mummy, but make it about how every time the movie bombs, Tom Cruise has to relive it...
    So he has to learn from it and make the movie better each time...

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched most of this on tv last night and it stunk. The cast was solid so I feel like it could have been good but the writing was so cheesy. I was not bothered to finish it. It's frustrating, like if you're trying to launch not just one blockbuster monster movie but create a shared universe that if successful could bring in multi billions of dollars, how about you make sure the script is good?

And so the Dark Universe is now probably cancelled, lol. They have put the other movies on hold to reassess as the top producers have left the project.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Haven't seen it, but it is heartbreaking to read that the Dark Universe is most likely done. It was something I looked forward to, especially since there were rumors that Johnny Depp was going to play one of the characters, the Invisible Man I think. Would have been cool to see Depp and Cruise together.

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was excited for a Monster Universe until I realized the new Mummy was anything but a horror film. It was a popcorn blockbuster action thing and once I realized that's what this universe was going to be, I was far less excited, if at all. Some killer horror flicks with all the classic monsters in a shared universe could have been dope.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I always wanted a shared universe with Michael Myers, Jason Voorhees, Freddy Krueger, Pinhead, Chucky, the Leprechaun, etc. Would have been dope.

Not now though. Way too much time has passed and the franchises are a shell of their former selves.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cinematic universe with Ash as "Iron Man." I hate horror movies, and I'd pay full price.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Marvel could probably make a Legion of Monsters trilogy if they were so inclined...

Blade, Ghost Rider, Doctor Strange, Elsa Bloodstone, Frankenstein, Werewolf by Night, The Living Mummy, Manphibian, Man-Thing...

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    I have a feeling star wars and the mcu will collide even if in a small way. I could see a moment where rocket pulls a lightsaber out of his pouch and star lord flips out knowing exactly what it is.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by virmicious View Post
    I have a feeling star wars and the mcu will collide even if in a small way. I could see a moment where rocket pulls a lightsaber out of his pouch and star lord flips out knowing exactly what it is.
    https://deadline.com/2018/02/mark-ha...-3-1202303616/

*Also Spider-Man has referenced Empire Strikes Back

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Spider-Man: Homecoming they were building a Lego Death Star or Millennium Falcon or whatever and Peter had other Star Wars stuff in his room, too, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Casey View Post
    Marvel could probably make a Legion of Monsters trilogy if they were so inclined...

Blade, Ghost Rider, Doctor Strange, Elsa Bloodstone, Frankenstein, Werewolf by Night, The Living Mummy, Manphibian, Man-Thing...
    I guess that's gotta be my next hope after the Dark Universe was DOA. We did get a Man-Thing reference in Ragnorak...