User Tag List

Thread: UFC 211: Miocic vs. Dos Santos II (May 13th 2017)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UFC 211: Miocic vs. Dos Santos II (May 13th 2017)

Main card:

UFC Heavyweight Title: Stipe Miocic (c) vs. Junior dos Santos
    UFC Strawweight Title: Joanna Jedrzejczyk (c) vs. Jessica Andrade
    Welterweight: Demian Maia vs. Jorge Masvidal
    Featherweight: Frankie Edgar vs. Yair Rodriguez
    Flyweight: Henry Cejedo vs. Sergio Pettis

Prelims on FX

Lightweight: Eddie Alvarez vs. Dustin Poirier
    Featherweight: Chas Skelly vs. Jason Knight
    Middleweight: Krzysztof Jotko vs. David Branch
    Lightweight: Marco Polo Reyes vs. James Vick

Fight Pass Prelims

Strawweight: Jessica Aguilar vs. Courtney Casey
    Featherweight: Gabriel Benítez vs. Enrique Barzola
    Heavyweight: Chase Sherman vs. Dmitry Poberezhets
    Featherweight: Jared Gordon vs. Michel Quinones

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a bad card then.

The first fight between Miocic and dos Santos was an absolute war. If Robbie Lawler didn't exist it may have been the best fight of 2014. Miocic boxed JDS up a bit early but dos Santos dug deep, found a big shot midway through then stayed on him down the stretch to take the super close decision. Since then, Miocic has knocked out 4 legends, 3 in the first round. Dos Santos has gone 1-1, largely inactive but showed signs of the old, quick JDS last time out. Generally it's not good to be out too long but maybe JDS needed to heal up after 3 wars in 2 years. Miocic will have an advantage in boxing this time I think but he doesn't have an outstanding chin. Plus, heavyweights. I'm leaning Miocic in 2 but would absolutely love Junior getting the belt back, been a fan since his debut.

Joanna Champion vs. Andrade is probably the biggest title fight in the division thus far based on Andrade's finishes in the weightclass. She looks lethal. And she comes to fight, like Wanderlei Silva with oestrogen. Always coming forward, good chin, well skilled. Joanna is so good though. Keeps an absurd pace, always landing little shots. Not a power puncher though and has been clipped before. Very interesting fight. I can see Andrade landing and getting her out of there, and certainly see her dominating through 10 minutes. After that? I think she fades and Double J takes over in trademark fashion and takes a 48-46 with a 10-8 in 4 or 5.

Maia vs. Masvidal is the top contenders fight at welterweight. Has to be. Maia is the rightful #1 contender but has taken this fight regardless. Masvidal knocked out Ellenberger and Cerrone inside a couple months so he's on great form. I like Maia here. Masvidal is a great fighter but I just can't look past how Maia just cut through Condit, Nelson, Brown and Magny. He has altered his game to complete relentlessness in getting it to the ground, and once it's there he's lethal. Masvidal for me doesn't have the grappling chaps to avoid it. Maia by late submission.

Edgar vs. Rodriguez is another massive fight. Edgar will probably earn another (presumably final) title shot if he wins and Holloway beats Aldo. Rodriguez should get one with a win too. Yair is creative and very quick, but his talent may have eclipsed his fundamentals and Edgar can exploit that. Frankie is just solid. Great boxing, great MMA wrestling and top game, and just an iron will. Is he past his prime though? Excellent crossroads fight. I favour Edgar. Yair is capable of winning but I'm not big on his hands, and surely Edgar can catch a kick or 2 and beat him up on the ground for a decision.

Cejedo vs. Pettis is another fight with immediate title implications. Pettis gets a shot at Mighty Mouse with the upset win most definitely. I don't rate him though. I see Cejedo dictacting where the fight goes and landing the heavier shots for a points win. If Pettis gets by Henry though it's a clear sign of improvement to world level.

Alvarez vs. Poirier is better than most main events so far this year. Looking forward to this one, two action fighters with power and vulnerability, but a lot of heart. Based on Peahead just scraping by Jim Miller though, I'm liking Alvarez to get it done inside the distance by knockout.

Skelly vs. Knight, 2 streaking young featherweight action fighters. Should be a wild one. Knight looks to have the better conditioning so I reckon him taking over late after a back and forth 2 rounds.

Jotko vs. Branch is for a place inside the top 10 for me. Jotko beat Thales Leites last time out. Branch was 2 weight WSOF champion on a long win streak. Should be an interesting fight. Leaning Branch based on his experience, he has grown in confidence and has won many big fights lately. Jotko is talented though, could go either way.

Polo Reyes is Yair-esque in his style. James Vick is long and throws a lot of strikes. Should be entertaining. Leaning Vick again on experience.

Aguilar was ranked top 3 before her UFC debut, and WSOF champion. Lost to Gadelha then disappeared. Courtney Casey is an active fighter, very aggressive. Leaning Casey, Aguilar's been fighting regularly against good opponents and holding her own.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is on Saturday then. Not catching a lot of hype considering the amount of good fights on it, and how deep it is (they've added another fight to round it to 14!). After rewatching JDS/Rothwell I'm a little more confident in his performance. Plus, unlike other fighters he has given himself the benefit of taking decent breaks after head trauma.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alvarez going from main event of UFC's first MSG card to the prelims...Still, it's the fight I think that will be FOTN. I'm pulling for JDS. He's been my favorite HW for a long, long time, would love to see the belt back around his waist. Too bad we've already seen him fight Cain 3 times, the 4th fight does nothing for me at the moment. Women's title fight should be pretty solid, standard JJ win where she maybe looks in trouble early but picks it up and wins the later rounds for a 49-48 UD. I hope Maia wins, dude has done a lot at WW. The rest of the card is very very good.
    Last edited by Nash Diesel; May 8th, 2017 at 11:07 AM.

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eddie Alvarez fight definitely has the potential to be a great fight.

I think the JDS/Stipe fight was amazing in the first encounter, and thus I do not think this fight will live up to the first fight. This fight will probably end really quick. I hope it is in Stipe's favor. I have met Stipe a couple times when I went to Vegas last year, and he is legitimately an AWESOME guy. Probably the coolest of all the fighters in the entire UFC. It has made me a gigantic fan of him and I am really pulling for him.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stipe is a champion for a reason. I would not be shocked if he was able to put away Dos Santos.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both seem like great men. JDS has been a long time favourite ever since the Werdum fight and his association with Big Nog so I'd love to see him pull it off, but if Stipe wins I'd love for him to beat the title defence record... before falling to the Black Beast.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Black Beast v. Mark Hunt next month, should be real good. Curious to see who they put Francis Ngannou against next. Are they maybe waiting to see who comes out of Werdum/Overeem? Idk if I see him getting the loser of Stipe/JDS but I could definitely see him against the loser of Werdum/Overeem. The dude hasn't fought since January, the fight lasted like a minute, why isn't he booked for anything?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's moved to America so is probably spending a bit of time trying out gyms before settling on a place for a fight camp. He did 2 fights back to back in December/January so can afford to take a step back to hone the skills. I imagine he'll fight either Velasquez or a loser from the Miocic/JDS and Werdum/Reem fights next. If I were a betting man I would say the title picture would be:

JDS wins, fights the winner of Werdum/Reem, with 2 of Velasquez, Lewis (with a win over Hunt) and Ngannou being paired for a title shot, Stipe fights the other and the Reem/Werdum loser either retires or fights Browne (Reem) or Arlovski (Werdum) providing they're coming off wins in their individual step down fights.

Stipe I don't think rematches the Werdum/Overeem winner next if he retains. Both got demolished by him inside a round within the last year. Maybe at a push Werdum does since he's a former champion. Thus I can see Black Beast getting the next shot (if he beats Hunt), Velasquez fighting the Werdum/Reem winner for the next shot, and Ngannou fights JDS.

I do like the current heavyweight mix. Miocic, Lewis and Ngannou have breathed new life in the division.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was looking at the UFC title history - a former champion has never spent longer than 4 years between relinquishing the belt. Of the multiple time champions (GSP, Hughes, Penn, Couture, Sylvia, Velasquez, Aldo and Cruz; as well as Mir as an interim champion). BJ took the longest between reigns as he vacated the 170 title in May 04 and won the 155 title in January 2008. Of the other champions only Cruz took longer than 2 years to regain the full World title, and at just over at that (about 2 years 2 weeks). Fighters who have tried and failed to regain a title after 3 years - Vitor (x3), Edgar, Rampage, Machida, Mir (x2) and Rashad. So JDS winning would be MMA's Ali/Foreman or Foreman/Moorer up to this point.

Rush
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cejudo vs. Lil' Pettis is off because Cejudo hurt his hand.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The least appealing fight of the top 6. Looks like timing might be right for Benavidez to get his title shot then, Pettis and Borg are the only other guys on win streaks but lack marquee victories.

too big to fail Tainted Eclipse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    fucking knee shit again. shame a hell of a prelim card ends that way. still was great.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JDS is done. His tactical deficiencies shine through now his iron chin and willingness to throw have gone. He was a sitting duck in there, and Stipe melted him like the pro that he is. What a run Miocic is on, wiping out Arlovski, Werdum, Overeem and JDS in under 11 minutes combined, within 18 months. All time great run.

Joanna is so good. Those angles. Her challenges will lie at 125 you feel, if at all.

Jorge Masvidal just gets no luck. It was a 50/50 fight, coin flip, and he lost again. He legit could be on an 11 fight win streak if 4 judges awarded him 1 more round. Maia is a deserving challenger though and hope he wins.

Frankie Edgar is a machine. Destroyed the kid. If Holloway wins against Aldo, there's your co main at The Garden in November.

David Branch won so will nick Jotko's ranking, poor fight though.

Alvarez and Poirier was fantastic until the unfortunate finish. Intentions are ambiguous when the attacker is blind and concussed like Alvarez was. Hope they do it again.

Jason Knight is a bit of a beast in a stacked division.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    So I assume Stipe vs Cain for the HW title defense record will be on the slate next, assuming Velasquez can make it to the arena on time. That could/should be a hyped as shit fight.

And then the HW ladder after that looks warm to pretty hot depending on a couple results. Reem/Fabricio in the one deck circle with the two large dark skinned scary fellas around the corner with one more win or two each.

Lots of opportunities for a fresh champion or an off the charts reign for Miocic. Win/win either way.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've got to think they want to see Cain get through a fight camp before committing to a title fight for him. UFC's 180, 196 and 207 all taking hits late because of his injuries. I guess they could always take note with the Jones situation and put a Lewis or Ngannou on the undercard as a standby though. For me it's the biggest fight in the division, so why not let it marinate? Run a double header with them (Miocic vs. Lewis, Velasquez vs. the Werdum/Reem winner) then pair them off after if successful.

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stipe vs Cain would be an amazing fight stylistically

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spedizzo View Post
    Eddie Alvarez fight definitely has the potential to be a great fight.

I think the JDS/Stipe fight was amazing in the first encounter, and thus I do not think this fight will live up to the first fight. This fight will probably end really quick. I hope it is in Stipe's favor. I have met Stipe a couple times when I went to Vegas last year, and he is legitimately an AWESOME guy. Probably the coolest of all the fighters in the entire UFC. It has made me a gigantic fan of him and I am really pulling for him.
    -I was right, I actually enjoyed Alvarez/Dustin more than any other fight for the short time it lasted. Eddie didn't wake up until he got rocked. It is a shame it ended the way it did. I was at a bar and assumed they were giving Dustin the DQ win, but it was a NC because it was deemed an accident. Didn't matter to me either way

-I had a great feeling Stipe/JDS would be short. JDS has been getting rocked more and more in his last handful of fights more than he ever has in his career. His chin has never been the same ever since Cain has beat the shit out of him. He will never be the top dog in the UFC again I don't think. He will always be one of the most dangerous boxers in the game with dangerous hands... but I don't think he can get to the top of the mountain again due to chin and defense

-I am shocked Jorge Masdival survived as long as he did with Maia backpacked on him. I am also shocked one judge gave it 29-28 to Jorge. I had it 29-28 to Maia at the least.

-Vintage Frankie Edgar, great performance against a young talented guy

-Vintage Joanna, nothing more to stay about that fight other than Andrade is a pitbull with a chin of steel
    Last edited by Spedizzo; May 15th, 2017 at 2:57 PM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to see Stipe v. Cain but relying on Cain to make it to the actual title fight is the biggest gamble the UFC could do in that division unfortunately. Honestly, who else is there if not Cain? The winner of Werdum/Overeem? See, that's the good thing about shallow divisions...you can be coming off a loss, or coming off a win after losing the fight before, and still be a title contender. All either of these guys have to do is win and they're more than likely staring across the cage from Stipe by the end of the year.

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    Honestly, who else is there if not Cain?

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jon Jones aside (obv I know he is going to fight Cormier and has issues)

the BLACK BEAST is on a 6 fight win streak incase people forgot. After he beats Mark Hunt in his next fight, that would be an unprecedented 7 fight win streak at heavyweight in the UFC... does he get the shot????

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah he needs to get a win over someone in the top 5 and then I'd love to see him do his thing against the champ.

Crazy to think 2-3 years ago this was the guy who got KO'd by Meathead Mitrione in 40 seconds and then got hook kicked into youtube highlight video legend a fight or two later and now he's smashing some pretty tough dudes.

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the black beast has an awesome story to be told too... he is a street fighter who grew up in the ghetto, was sentenced to 5 years in prison, was trained by George Foreman

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They'd be mad if they gave Cain a title shot without putting him through a full camp and a tune up fight first. There are two fresh title contenders on win streaks, the level of their competition isn't as important in the heavyweight division.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    They'd be mad if they gave Cain a title shot without putting him through a full camp and a tune up fight first. There are two fresh title contenders on win streaks, the level of their competition isn't as important in the heavyweight division.
    Partially agree that there are fresh title contenders BUT nobody really knows who they are. Even Lewis' brief moment of internet popularity where he made the Rousey comment is a forgotten memory. Cain is at the very least one of the few "draws" left at HW. Stipe isn't one. Yet. Honestly he probably never will be. The guy has zero personality and he's already on my list of people who are whiners just to whine. Like Woodley. And it won't even turn into a Tito Ortiz type drawing power where people pay to see you get wrecked, they just won't buy the card you headline.

But the reality is , that first part you said that mirrors everyone else about Cain needing to make it through a whole camp healthy, win that fight, THEN get that World title shot. But even then look what happens almost every fight he's in. He wins, then he gets injured and pulls out of at least 2 fights fucking up at least 1 ppv. Unreliable isn't even the word to properly describe Cain and it's fucking sad as he is IMHO one of the best HW fighters of all time. The little amount we've seen of him over the last 7-8 years is enough for me to label him as one of the best which is scary to think if he was healthy, how fucking great would he be? Pretty fucking great.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give Big Derrick the title shot if he beats Mark Hunt. 7 fight win streak, 3 main events. Particularly if it's a knockout and he gives another class interview. He's an entertaining bloke but you feel that he's vulnerable to get beat by pretty much anybody on the right day - why risk it when you can have him challenge for the belt while the really talented guys get lined up?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They really have nothing to lose. While Cain is for sure the biggest draw that they could pair up with Stipe, he's unreliable. Mark Hunt, while on a losing streak, is still dangerous and a good win. You give Black Beast a title shot if he beats Hunt, do it on a FOX card as I don't think a ppv main event is fitting for this fight. You could definitely sell out a 10-15,000 seat venue though and put Black Beast on a bigger platform than what ppv will give him in terms of viewers.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's been some poor PPV main events man, that wouldn't be anywhere near the worst fight to headline a big card. All of Demetrious' PPV main events bar Dodson were against no names. GDR/Holm. The fans were hardly going ballistic over Woodley challenging Lawler, or Stipe challenging Werdum. Ovince St-Preux. Bethe Correira. They can, anď have, done worse than Miocic vs. Black Beast as a PPV main event.

The bonus of having so many titles (12 by the end of the year) is that most cards can afford to have 2 title bouts. So even if Miocic/Lewis isn't huge, throw Demetrious or Joanna on as chief support and it's a good PPV card. Aldo benefitted from a couple of co-mains. Joanna is now. The 135 title last year was co-main on some big cards. There's so many former champions and title contenders nowadays too. Everybody's had a main event push on the smaller shows it seems. Like they could run this card:

Cormier vs. Jones
    Woodley vs. Maia
    Lawler vs. Cerrone
    Shogun vs. Glover
    Wonderboy vs. Condit

Lamas vs. Penn
    Evans vs. Marquardt
    Gadelha vs. Esparza
    Correira vs. Carmouche

Sanchez vs. Maynard
    Moraga vs. Elliott
    Soto vs. Reis

Good card, wouldn't say hugely stacked - EVERY fighter having been in a title fight.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regardless of how many ppv main events that were "worse", it still doesn't change the fact that it's not a good ppv headliner. Putting DJ on the card as the co-main isn't exactly making that a better card either considering he's one of the top fighters in the world and barely draws flies to shit. I think the smarter move to sell Black Beast is to have the fight on Fox where more eyes will be on it than if they took a chance with them headlining a ppv regardless of the undercard.