User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gimmicks you hate that others probably loved

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To actually contribute to the topic, I will echo the Enzo/Cass dislike. They definitely took the turn from entertaining to cringe worthy during the Rusev feud. They book Rusev so damn bizarrely that I feel like I'm going to end up turning on anyone who feuds with him. He's just a guy defending his wife's honor who happens to have an accent. Honestly I think he has a great babyface run in him if they ever decide to go that route.

Mentioned
    336 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First Hacksaw now Brian holy crap! Who's the next old schooler to return?

As far as Enzo/Cass go, yeah Enzo can be annoying but at the same time I'd rather they stay together for now. I can't see Cass making it big in singles right now, he's still a bit rough around the edges. I want to see them get at least one tag title run before they split.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gampo View Post
    Dean Ambrose. "Lunatic Fringe" ... I get it "he's got messy hair and a leather jacket so he's crazy"... he's very boring to watch imo and nothing he does comes off as lunatic level crazy to me so it just doesn't fit.

slick up his hair and he would have made a excellent "Grease: the musical'" stable with Deuce and Domino though.
    That's so true. Lunatic fringe worked when he first went solo after the Rollins betrayal- when he was out for vengeance, frothing out of the mouth, and was literally busting out of the scenery EVERYWHERE to put the beating on Rollins.

But since that point, I just don't feel the lunatic stuff anymore. He' pretty much just plays an "everyman" type of character now, which isn't exactly a lunatic, now is it? Oh, a leather jacket and jeans, what a rebel!

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't remember WHO it was on Raw but one of the commentators said that Dean was "cool as James Dean and as tough as John Wayne"......What the fuck kind of audience are they catering to? Sure as fuck isn't the children or really anyone born after 1961. Seriously....I mean I get the reference but damn what's next?

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    I can't remember WHO it was on Raw but one of the commentators said that Dean was "cool as James Dean and as tough as John Wayne"......What the fuck kind of audience are they catering to? Sure as fuck isn't the children or really anyone born after 1961. Seriously....I mean I get the reference but damn what's next?
    Graves was saying it about Finn Balor.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BGMaverick View Post
    Graves was saying it about Finn Balor.
    Ah fuck that's right it was Balor. Graves is my age what the hell kind of shit are they feeding this guy to describe talent? I can seriously hear Vince's voice saying this crap.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah fuck that's right it was Balor. Graves is my age what the hell kind of shit are they feeding this guy to describe talent? I can seriously hear Vince's voice saying this crap.
    To be fair, Graves is someone just about everyone likes in terms of commentary. If someone is going to be the one who reaches with some out there line like this, it's got a better chance of working with him as the conduit. He's got a different, unique vibe to him and sounds fairly well-rounded, too. I can buy it. The comment, while dated, does present a description that is understandable.

Mentioned
    336 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ambrose shows flashes of great intensity, he's just not consistent enough. He can still be a top card asset if they tone down the comedy a bit.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    People reference James Dean's coolness and John Wayne's toughness all the time in all kinds of mediums. I'm guessing Corey Graves knows who James Dean and John Wayne are, I'm sure lots of people watching Raw do too. I'm a 27 year old from London and I know about James Dean and John Wayne. Strange thing to pick up on... There are plenty of other examples of references in WWE that are more likely to have come straight from Vince's mouth and go right over the heads of the average WWE fan.

Mentioned
    336 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't get a "cool" vibe from Dean at all. He's just a mink, but a tough one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mainly get a "confused" or "drunk" vibe from Ambrose. He's so comfortable and good on the mic but I can never really understand the character he's going for. Very similar problem that Wyatt has.

Mentioned
    336 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His pretend shock to Miz as Cena was fine, it's when they make him act too corny like trying to start a chainsaw against Lesnar or the hot dog cart shit for example is where the problem lies. Hell, they had him lose to Wyatt via fake electrocution bullshit. They have a hot act in Ambrose, they just do not handle him properly.

In advance, you're welcome Judas.

President of sex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not into American Alpha. I liked them just fine separately before the team took off but together it's douchbaggery in maximum overdrive. They really, really irk me and I'm looking forward to the day when they split up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never cared for Adam Rose or Bo Dallas. Anything Epico or Primo have done..also 3 man band was pretty awful too.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MVP was another one that was always so bland to me and didn't really work imo.. he was like that both in WWE and TNA now that I think of it... so I it might not have been the gimmick but more of just him in general.

I agree with Adam Rose and Bo Dallas too. I do think Bo has the ability to be a good mid card guy at least but they saddled him with a junk gimmick! Now if they had story line where Bo snapped and broke character in a "F U I'm sick of this crap Vince" type of way where they strictly focused on his ring skills and some anger... I could buy into that.
    Last edited by Gampo; April 21st, 2017 at 10:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    I'm friends with Brian M. on FB. i should ask him about this.

I have a vague memory about this. I also seem to remember he was a huge Evanescence mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me? Evanescence is ok, I guess. I saw them live one time and they were garbage. I think you have me confused with someone else.

Banned
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Amy Lee was hot 15 years ago.

Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex E View Post
    I have a vague memory about this. I also seem to remember he was a huge Evanescence mark
    You might be thinking of Ace Rockola...?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YES!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, reading through here, I agree with a lot of what people are saying...

-Adam Rose: I just didn't understand what they were going for there.

-Tyler Breeze: People were all about the Prince of Pretty, and I'm like, "Why?"

-Hornswoggle when he learned how to talk. I appreciate the comedy of grunting and being, basically a cartoon character, but once he became serious, I felt he overstayed his welcome.

-JBL: Okay, I didn't mind JBL because he was meant to be a heel, and he did a great job of making me hate his guts... but his whole faction, The Cabinet, was filled with a bunch, no disrespect, irrelevant people. I liked Amy Weber with him because she could talk, was absolutely stunning, and did her job as a valet; but The Bashams and Orlando Jordan? No. Which leads me to...

-Luther Reigns and Mark Jindrak: Their whole affiliation with Kurt Angle seemed half-baked and there was ZERO chemistry between all of them. Mark Jindrak could have been a star, great look and all, but this whole thing fell flat to me.

-Any Fandango dancer AFTER Summer Rae: Layla and Rosa had ZERO chemistry with Fandango, and even though Layla was a professional dancer, I didn't think she was nearly as amazing as Summer Rae or the original Mrs. Fandango.

-Anything involving Epico or Primo: To be fair, I don't think anyone's every liked their gimmicks, how many are they on now? Number 3, 4?

-T&A: The only good thing about them was Trish.

-Haku & Rikishi: Loved Rikishi, hated his tag team with Haku.

-Hulk Hogan: Lots of people love Hogan, I'm not one of them.

-Anyone saying "I'm doing this for Eddie" shortly after his death... it seemed like such a cheap way to get the fans to rally behind the likes of Chavo or Rey.

-Bayley: I'm so iffy on this one... I'm actually really trying to like it, but... I don't know. I think Bayley is a great talent, and I'm reserving judgment because I think the gimmick is great but, her enthusiasm just seems off, I can't explain it and I'm hoping someone else can. I just can't tell if I'm just over it because I don't care about a rehash of Bayley/Sasha or because I hate when Bayley and Sasha get mic time together or what... but, I'm really trying to connect with what she's doing.

-Sasha Banks: Love the IDEA of "the Boss," but seriously, she loses every time it matters the most. I'm hoping I change my mind when she goes full on heel because her gimmick makes no sense considering she's lost 2 Last Woman Standing Matches, the first female HIAC match, and continuously loses the big matches that matter most.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M. View Post
    I mainly get a "confused" or "drunk" vibe from Ambrose. He's so comfortable and good on the mic but I can never really understand the character he's going for. Very similar problem that Wyatt has.
    He's an eccentric.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by stylepoints View Post
    I'm not into American Alpha. I liked them just fine separately before the team took off but together it's douchbaggery in maximum overdrive. They really, really irk me and I'm looking forward to the day when they split up.
    Would you like them more if they were painted up musicians who can barely play their instruments?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    All of that. I just do not connect with him in the slightest and don't buy into his character at all. As I've said elsewhere, I think he might have a lot of untapped potential if he turned heel and I might actually turn around on him if that happens but until then, he's one of my least favorite people on the roster. Least convincing lunatic I've ever seen. If his thing were just anarchy and mayhem, more of a loose cannon than a crazy person, I might have less of a disconnect with his act.
    But you do connect with Roman Reigns whose character consists of "I do this for my family".

Dean Ambrose is an eccentric and a charismatic oddball. The "lunatic fringe" shit comes from WWE's need to brand everything with what they think is a catchy slogan.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ambrose's gimmick should consist of being the guy who marries Renne Young. We'd all rally behind him.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to see him completely turn into the Titty Master we all know he's destined to be.

Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer-Belly View Post
    But you do connect with Roman Reigns whose character consists of "I do this for my family".

Dean Ambrose is an eccentric and a charismatic oddball. The "lunatic fringe" shit comes from WWE's need to brand everything with what they think is a catchy slogan.
    Why not? Dude has a wife and a kid. Not hard to 'believe that'. (see what I did there?) The evidence is there. But with Ambrose, there's nothing that convinces me he needs a straight-jacket. It's like putting a fitness/body gimmick on a guy that's doughy.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Having a wife and a kid is a pretty weak motivation for being a pro wrestler. So is doing it for your legacy. Give me some quirk to latch onto beyond that basic bullshit.

Has Dean Ambrose ever been presented as a Sabu-like psycho? He's an odd duck that doesn't back down ftom a fight. Again, the lunatic fringe shit is there because it's catchy and it works well with marketing.

Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And yet that's one of the reasons I like Reigns, because he's not complicated. He just a dude with basic motivations. Most people work/fight for their family. There's an everyman quality there.

With Ambrose, he reminds me of that kid in high school who wears a leather jacket and smokes out back and is always in the principal's office, who does what he wants and doesn't give a fuck. He's that dude in Breakfast Club with the fingerless gloves. But that's not how they sell him at all. Yes, he has absolutely been presented as a Sabu-like psycho, that's his entire marketing campaign. His entire brand is that he's an unstable lunatic who ought to be institutionalized and that's the problem because that's not how he really behaves or is written. He's in the wrong box. That's why i think a heel turn would really help. He's got this off putting, aloof, jerkish vibe about him that could be tapped into. He shouldn't be the Lunatic Fringe, he should be the Scumbag or Dirtbag or something like that. He's more like Stone Cold than Mankind. I want to like Ambrose, i want to be able to invest in him and if they repackaged him, I could possibly see that happening.

Intercontinental Champion Melly's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Strowman - He's ok, but he's basically another big, strong, scary dude. I don't get the hype.
    Adam Rose - I liked the entrance, it was fun, but he was boring.
    Ambrose - I hate the crazy gimmick. He should be more of a macho jerk.
    Rhyno/Slater - I love Slater, but I guess I don't appreciate Rhyno because I didn't grow up watching wrestling (aside from my brief period of loving Shawn Michaels and Undertaker as a kid)
    New Day - I kinda liked them for a short period, but now they are super annoying.
    Gallows/Anderson - Boring, no personality.
    Sheamus - Same as above. I just can't get into him.
    Samoa Joe - I get the idea of him, sometimes I like watching him wrestle, but I am not one to think he is amazing.
    Bayley - I want to like her, but she is too sugary sweet for my liking most of the time.
    Rusev - Another big, scary guy who I just don't get the appeal of. I like him more on Total Divas

I probably mixed gimmick with the wrestlers themselves....I am not a pro at this, but I tried

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10 yrs. ago, WWE would've gotten the rights to the song "Lunatic Fringe", had some shitty band like Saliva cover it, and use it for Ambrose's theme music.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Comedic Kurt Angle. The guy was great at comedy, but I think the fact that they had him be a clown prevented him from being as big of a star as he could have been. Serious ass kicker Kurt would have been a bigger draw.

Banned
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Nah. Comedic Kurt was his best work.

The Thinking Man's Idiot Simmo Fortyone's Avatar
    Andre giant once eat kid hot dog at arena. He then laugh. I never forgive that fat motherfucker for that
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OD50 View Post
    Didn't like Gangrel, didn't like the Brood, Mordecai or Kevin Thorn, I pretty much dislike anything remotely "super natural", didn't even like The Undertaker when he debuted. I'll put Mordecai, Glacier and Wrath in this category as well.

Woeful

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would you like them more if they were painted up musicians who can barely play their instruments?
    Actually... Eric singer who is in kiss now Is an excellent drummer, Paul Stanley is a great rythum player, no argument on Peter criss ..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And being a musician myself.. sure some are better than others. . But until you strap on a les Paul or sit behind a drum kit.. shut up and listen to nirvana

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I just think they are boring as hell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Law View Post
    Comedic Kurt Angle. The guy was great at comedy, but I think the fact that they had him be a clown prevented him from being as big of a star as he could have been. Serious ass kicker Kurt would have been a bigger draw.
    I can see this line of thinking, but I thought he was very dull when he lost the comedic touch to his character later on in his WWE career. I'm not sure he reaches the heights he does without that side of his character. He's obviously a fantastic wrestler, but that alone doesn't make a star.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was lurking back when people liked JBL and I couldn't stand the dude. I remember people saying that he had great psychology because he clubbed people on the back of the neck to set up the Clothesline from Hell, which there is more to psychology then that. He was main eventer caliber on the mic I'll give him that.

One thing hate that most others love is Triple H's WrestleMania entrances. I've always found them more unintentionally funny then badass.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah agree with HHH entrances are just laughable. Also, I really didnt like the Eugene gimmick.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this is considered sacrilege on this forum, but I don't like Sami Zayn's gimmick at all. "The Underdog from the Underground" is terrible. I don't find him to be a convincing underdog either, for that matter.

I do like what he does in the ring, but I don't like the gimmick in the slightest.

Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She didn't put him on her list up there but I know my wife finds Zayn to be pretty boring and doesn't really get the love for him.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zayn is boring as all hell, until he steps into the ring, where his work and ability overshadow his bland character.

Intercontinental Champion Melly's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Yep, Zayn is super boring, so much that I forgot to list him.

Andy
    Zayn has the same problem as Bayley on the main roster. Both built up masterfully in NXT as these underdogs eventually overcoming the odds after a year long slog. You can't expect them to play those same characters while also becoming champ (in Bayley's case) or being put over as among the best on the roster at what they do. It's really poor booking.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bayley is still entertaining though, and has a character. Zayn just bores me.

Andy
    Never ever been a fan of Rey Mysterio

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She didn't put him on her list up there but I know my wife finds Zayn to be pretty boring and doesn't really get the love for him.
    Do you think your wife likes you speaking for her? I have a feeling your relationship is very much one where you took her last name and wore a gown, very modern of you mth!

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAle View Post
    I know this is considered sacrilege on this forum, but I don't like Sami Zayn's gimmick at all. "The Underdog from the Underground" is terrible. I don't find him to be a convincing underdog either, for that matter.

I do like what he does in the ring, but I don't like the gimmick in the slightest.
    He has a gimmick??

I honestly have never really heard anyone talk about his "character", if there is one outside of just him being a great wrestler who's traveled the world. 99.9% of Sami Zayn talk is about what he does in the ring. It's like saying you're not into AJ Styles' gimmick. There is no gimmick, he is the gimmick.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He doesn't have a lot of character traits and most of them are annoying. That hat and jacket he wears, the Ska dance during his entrance, and his acting like a geek in backstage segments. Pretty much all they've given him to work with in a year and a half on the main roster. It's pretty lazy on their part but they also don't seem to have interest in giving him a big push so I can understand not putting too much effort into him.

Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you think your wife likes you speaking for her? I have a feeling your relationship is very much one where you took her last name and wore a gown, very modern of you mth!
    Well, considering she posted this...
    Quote Originally Posted by Melly View Post
    Yep, Zayn is super boring, so much that I forgot to list him.
    ...after my post, I reckon it's fine. Also, what the fuck, dude?