Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Gimmicks you hate that others probably loved

Wow, reading through here, I agree with a lot of what people are saying...

-Adam Rose: I just didn't understand what they were going for there.

-Tyler Breeze: People were all about the Prince of Pretty, and I'm like, "Why?"

-Hornswoggle when he learned how to talk. I appreciate the comedy of grunting and being, basically a cartoon character, but once he became serious, I felt he overstayed his welcome.

-JBL: Okay, I didn't mind JBL because he was meant to be a heel, and he did a great job of making me hate his guts... but his whole faction, The Cabinet, was filled with a bunch, no disrespect, irrelevant people. I liked Amy Weber with him because she could talk, was absolutely stunning, and did her job as a valet; but The Bashams and Orlando Jordan? No. Which leads me to...

-Luther Reigns and Mark Jindrak: Their whole affiliation with Kurt Angle seemed half-baked and there was ZERO chemistry between all of them. Mark Jindrak could have been a star, great look and all, but this whole thing fell flat to me.

-Any Fandango dancer AFTER Summer Rae: Layla and Rosa had ZERO chemistry with Fandango, and even though Layla was a professional dancer, I didn't think she was nearly as amazing as Summer Rae or the original Mrs. Fandango.

-Anything involving Epico or Primo: To be fair, I don't think anyone's every liked their gimmicks, how many are they on now? Number 3, 4?

-T&A: The only good thing about them was Trish.

-Haku & Rikishi: Loved Rikishi, hated his tag team with Haku.

-Hulk Hogan: Lots of people love Hogan, I'm not one of them.

-Anyone saying "I'm doing this for Eddie" shortly after his death... it seemed like such a cheap way to get the fans to rally behind the likes of Chavo or Rey.

-Bayley: I'm so iffy on this one... I'm actually really trying to like it, but... I don't know. I think Bayley is a great talent, and I'm reserving judgment because I think the gimmick is great but, her enthusiasm just seems off, I can't explain it and I'm hoping someone else can. I just can't tell if I'm just over it because I don't care about a rehash of Bayley/Sasha or because I hate when Bayley and Sasha get mic time together or what... but, I'm really trying to connect with what she's doing.

-Sasha Banks: Love the IDEA of "the Boss," but seriously, she loses every time it matters the most. I'm hoping I change my mind when she goes full on heel because her gimmick makes no sense considering she's lost 2 Last Woman Standing Matches, the first female HIAC match, and continuously loses the big matches that matter most.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M. View Post
    I mainly get a "confused" or "drunk" vibe from Ambrose. He's so comfortable and good on the mic but I can never really understand the character he's going for. Very similar problem that Wyatt has.
    He's an eccentric.

Quote Originally Posted by stylepoints View Post
    I'm not into American Alpha. I liked them just fine separately before the team took off but together it's douchbaggery in maximum overdrive. They really, really irk me and I'm looking forward to the day when they split up.
    Would you like them more if they were painted up musicians who can barely play their instruments?

Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    All of that. I just do not connect with him in the slightest and don't buy into his character at all. As I've said elsewhere, I think he might have a lot of untapped potential if he turned heel and I might actually turn around on him if that happens but until then, he's one of my least favorite people on the roster. Least convincing lunatic I've ever seen. If his thing were just anarchy and mayhem, more of a loose cannon than a crazy person, I might have less of a disconnect with his act.
    But you do connect with Roman Reigns whose character consists of "I do this for my family".

Dean Ambrose is an eccentric and a charismatic oddball. The "lunatic fringe" shit comes from WWE's need to brand everything with what they think is a catchy slogan.

Intercontinental Champion
    Ambrose's gimmick should consist of being the guy who marries Renne Young. We'd all rally behind him.

I want to see him completely turn into the Titty Master we all know he's destined to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer-Belly View Post
    But you do connect with Roman Reigns whose character consists of "I do this for my family".

Dean Ambrose is an eccentric and a charismatic oddball. The "lunatic fringe" shit comes from WWE's need to brand everything with what they think is a catchy slogan.
    Why not? Dude has a wife and a kid. Not hard to 'believe that'. (see what I did there?) The evidence is there. But with Ambrose, there's nothing that convinces me he needs a straight-jacket. It's like putting a fitness/body gimmick on a guy that's doughy.

Having a wife and a kid is a pretty weak motivation for being a pro wrestler. So is doing it for your legacy. Give me some quirk to latch onto beyond that basic bullshit.

Has Dean Ambrose ever been presented as a Sabu-like psycho? He's an odd duck that doesn't back down ftom a fight. Again, the lunatic fringe shit is there because it's catchy and it works well with marketing.

And yet that's one of the reasons I like Reigns, because he's not complicated. He just a dude with basic motivations. Most people work/fight for their family. There's an everyman quality there.

With Ambrose, he reminds me of that kid in high school who wears a leather jacket and smokes out back and is always in the principal's office, who does what he wants and doesn't give a fuck. He's that dude in Breakfast Club with the fingerless gloves. But that's not how they sell him at all. Yes, he has absolutely been presented as a Sabu-like psycho, that's his entire marketing campaign. His entire brand is that he's an unstable lunatic who ought to be institutionalized and that's the problem because that's not how he really behaves or is written. He's in the wrong box. That's why i think a heel turn would really help. He's got this off putting, aloof, jerkish vibe about him that could be tapped into. He shouldn't be the Lunatic Fringe, he should be the Scumbag or Dirtbag or something like that. He's more like Stone Cold than Mankind. I want to like Ambrose, i want to be able to invest in him and if they repackaged him, I could possibly see that happening.

Strowman - He's ok, but he's basically another big, strong, scary dude. I don't get the hype.
    Adam Rose - I liked the entrance, it was fun, but he was boring.
    Ambrose - I hate the crazy gimmick. He should be more of a macho jerk.
    Rhyno/Slater - I love Slater, but I guess I don't appreciate Rhyno because I didn't grow up watching wrestling (aside from my brief period of loving Shawn Michaels and Undertaker as a kid)
    New Day - I kinda liked them for a short period, but now they are super annoying.
    Gallows/Anderson - Boring, no personality.
    Sheamus - Same as above. I just can't get into him.
    Samoa Joe - I get the idea of him, sometimes I like watching him wrestle, but I am not one to think he is amazing.
    Bayley - I want to like her, but she is too sugary sweet for my liking most of the time.
    Rusev - Another big, scary guy who I just don't get the appeal of. I like him more on Total Divas

I probably mixed gimmick with the wrestlers themselves....I am not a pro at this, but I tried

Thread Information