Thread: UFC 210 CORMIER V. JOHNSON 2 APRIL 8TH, 2017

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a feeling Rumble isn't retiring

I know he has business ventures and whatnot, but I dunno, I have a feeling

hopefully he isn't too far past his prime when it happens though, he really is in the last prime year or two

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On one hand you'd think more fighters would like to take the money and run, whatever money they have with as many brain cells as possible. But on the other, very few stay retired. I imagine it's hard to just turn off the warrior spirit.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I imagine it's hard not to run through that warrior money..

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by percussion13 View Post
    I imagine it's hard not to run through that warrior money..
    That warrior money is no joke:

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Mr. Weidman was determined to be unable to continue the match due to legal blows received, resulting in a TKO,” the NYSAC said in a statement. “In New York State, it has been held that the Commission may review video evidence in order to meet its obligation to render correct determinations and act in the best interest of the sport.

After the referee initially ruled the strikes from Mr. Mousasi illegal, he consulted with the alternate referee during the physician assessment of Mr. Weidman and determined that the knee strikes by Mousasi were not illegal. During the examination of Mr. Weidman by Commission medical staff, it was determined he was medically unfit to continue and the referee ruled a TKO victory in favor of Mr. Mousasi

So, seems that instant replay is indeed legal in NY, I guess that makes it a pretty clear TKO win for Mousasi. Legal knees and two doctors determined that Weidman couldn't continue the fight. It's still a mess though, thanks to Miragliotta calling a foul and halting the action.
    Last edited by OD50; April 12th, 2017 at 7:56 AM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to mention by the new rules it wasn't even close to a foul. Both palms or knuckles are supposed to be on the floor, whereas it was just Weidman's fingertips at best.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only case Weidman truly has in this is that he could argue that had the ref not stepped in he could have continued/recovered. But on the flipside, it's a good thing the fight was stopped after those knees because according to audio, Matt Serra said that Weidman thought it was February.....

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Not to mention by the new rules it wasn't even close to a foul. Both palms or knuckles are supposed to be on the floor, whereas it was just Weidman's fingertips at best.
    Yeah. I honestly think Big Dan had a brain fart and forgot about the new rules.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd rather a ref make that kind of mistake than some of the idiotic stoppages we've seen from others including Big Dan. Doesn't matter, Weidman was done, thought he was at a Valentine's Day party with Charlie Brown Serra. Gegard man, the motherfucker is really living up to that 10 year hype I've been hearing.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    He's always been a very talented fighter, I've followed him since he fought Hector Lombard in Pride. He's always been kind of hot and cold, very lethargic and uninterested at times and a straight killer at other times. He really seems to have put it all together now though. And you never know, but I'm pretty sure he would have put Weidman away after the knees if Miragliotta hadn't called a foul.

Love how Moose pulls Weidman's arms up before the second knee.
    Last edited by OD50; April 12th, 2017 at 4:31 PM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't get Matt Serra calling Gegard a dirty fighter either.

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe he meant he doesn't bathe?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those guys really struggle to accept a loss.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is one of those times where I'd bust Mark Hammer's balls about how ironic it is that Weidman and his camp are making all these excuses for his last 3 losses all while MH was quick to shit on anyone who claimed anything other than dominance when talking about Weidman's wins over Anderson Silva.

So instead of his balls I'm just going to bust my own and hope he feels it. Him and Slutty. "Slutty" Mark McWhoreHammer. Coming to a Rizin event near you.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    So, why isn't Mark in here defending the Weidman loss? I was prepared for a fairly hot debate when I said I expect that Moosse would have finished Weidman, if Big Dan hadn't shit his XL sized bed that is.

Note, a "hot debate" for me is like a jovial chat for others.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    I don't get Matt Serra calling Gegard a dirty fighter either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Those guys really struggle to accept a loss.
    For sure, I find their attitude very annoying at times. And bodily hygiene aside, Moose must be one of the least "dirty" fighters in the game. When has he ever done anything remotely dirty in a fight? Like I said, I've followed him since Pride Bushido and the only remote thing would be an illegal up-kick against Keith Jardine, which probably was on instinct since he was fighting in Japan/DREAM at the same time. He legally KO'd Jacare with the same exact technique in the DREAM GP.

He did bitch a bit about the Uriah Hall loss being a fluke (which it was) and probably was trying to get himself that rematch to set the record straight (which he did).

So, now that it seems settled that Mousasi beat Weidman fairly fair and square (Dana pretty much shot down talks of an instant rematch) where do we go with the elite of the MW division? In the Zuffa era I think it easily would have been Romero/Bisping for the belt with the winner facing Mousasi. Now instead we have Bisping/GSP with top contender Romero without a fight, Mousasi being a top contender without a UFC contract, Jacare is one fight away from being a free agent, Weidman is on a 3-fight losing streak and Rockhold hasn't fought in almost a year and doesn't seem too interested in doing so either.
    Last edited by OD50; April 13th, 2017 at 5:05 AM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    We need to take Robert Whittaker into consideration, if he beats Jacare he will probably overtake Weidman's ranking at #5, he's currently at #6. If Whittaker loses to Jacare maybe do Whittaker (#6) vs. Weidman (#5)? If Whittaker beats Jacare maybe do him vs. Mousasi (#4)?

Michael Bisping (c) If he beats GSP he will of course defend against whoever emerges of the people below, most likely Romero. If he loses, the title will most likely be vacated, tricky situation here.. Should:

A) Bisping fight the top contender for the vacant title even though he's coming off a loss?
    B) #1 and #2 fight for the vacant title with the winner defending against Bisping?
    C) The winner of #1 and #2 wins the vacant title and defends it against the winner of Bisping vs. *top contender*?

Yoel Romero (#1) must be considered the logical title challenger with eight straight wins and being undefeated in the UFC. KO'd former champions Machida and Weidman and defeated #3 Jacare in his last three. The Jacare win was fairly dubious though.

Luke Rockhold (#2) Was on a five fight win streak beofre losing the title to Bisping. He easily dispatched Bisping in their first fight though, so I think if Rockhold could get one good W there would be interest in the rubber match.

Jacare Souza (#3) 7-1 in the UFC with his only loss being pretty controversial against #1 contender Yoel Romero. 1-1 with Gegard Mousasi and has a loss against Luke Rockhold in Strikeforce. Will be a free agent after his fight with Robert Whittaker.

Gegard Mousasi (#4) is on a five fight win streak, is currently a free agent though.

Chris Weidman (#5) Former champion, has lost via TKO in his last three fights to the other top contenders, so he is very far away from title talks. Will Weidman's ego allow him to take a tune up fight like Derek Brunson or Uriah Hall or will he try to fast track a title fight by fighting Rockhold/Jacare/Whittaker? I wouldn't mind Rockhold/Weidman II, both coming off losses. Maybe Weidman/Whittaker if Whittaker loses to Jacare Souza.

Robert Whittaker (#6) Fights Jacare Souza this weekend and with an impressive W he will probably be in title talks, most likely a number one contenders fights against someone like Mousasi (if he sticks around) or Rockhold.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark to my knowledge is perma banned along with Slutty McWhoreface. Apparently they were sharing each other's log ins when the other would get banned. Fucking weird right? But it definitely explains dual hatred from those usernames toward Peter Griffin lol.

Anyway...

Jacare should stay in the UFC. The UFC is still the premier organization and the division is stacked enough to where even if he's not wearing a belt, the victories are still huge. I would honestly do Jacare v. Mousasi next. I'm hoping that the Bisping/GSP fight doesn't happen and we get Bisping v. Romero.

When is Rockhold set to come back?

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess Mark lost his mind when Weidman lost again

Hope Jacare stays, I don't want to see Jacare fight randoms in Bellator and eventually job to one of them

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OD50 View Post
    We need to take Robert Whittaker into consideration, if he beats Jacare he will probably overtake Weidman's ranking at #5, he's currently at #6. If Whittaker loses to Jacare maybe do Whittaker (#6) vs. Weidman (#5)? If Whittaker beats Jacare maybe do him vs. Mousasi (#4)?

Michael Bisping (c) If he beats GSP he will of course defend against whoever emerges of the people below, most likely Romero. If he loses, the title will most likely be vacated, tricky situation here.. Should:

A) Bisping fight the top contender for the vacant title even though he's coming off a loss?
    B) #1 and #2 fight for the vacant title with the winner defending against Bisping?
    C) The winner of #1 and #2 wins the vacant title and defends it against the winner of Bisping vs. *top contender*?

Yoel Romero (#1) must be considered the logical title challenger with eight straight wins and being undefeated in the UFC. KO'd former champions Machida and Weidman and defeated #3 Jacare in his last three. The Jacare win was fairly dubious though.

Luke Rockhold (#2) Was on a five fight win streak beofre losing the title to Bisping. He easily dispatched Bisping in their first fight though, so I think if Rockhold could get one good W there would be interest in the rubber match.

Jacare Souza (#3) 7-1 in the UFC with his only loss being pretty controversial against #1 contender Yoel Romero. 1-1 with Gegard Mousasi and has a loss against Luke Rockhold in Strikeforce. Will be a free agent after his fight with Robert Whittaker.

Gegard Mousasi (#4) is on a five fight win streak, is currently a free agent though.

Chris Weidman (#5) Former champion, has lost via TKO in his last three fights to the other top contenders, so he is very far away from title talks. Will Weidman's ego allow him to take a tune up fight like Derek Brunson or Uriah Hall or will he try to fast track a title fight by fighting Rockhold/Jacare/Whittaker? I wouldn't mind Rockhold/Weidman II, both coming off losses. Maybe Weidman/Whittaker if Whittaker loses to Jacare Souza.

Robert Whittaker (#6) Fights Jacare Souza this weekend and with an impressive W he will probably be in title talks, most likely a number one contenders fights against someone like Mousasi (if he sticks around) or Rockhold.

If Bisping loses to GSP who vacates Bisping won't get another title shot until he's had a win or two I would say, not even at the vacant title. He'll quite possibly retire win or lose in honesty.

I think at this stage you HAVE to give Weidman a tune up fight like Hall or Brunson. It's almost cruel to give him Rockhold. If he loses that (which is most likely), he's dropped 4 in a row and he's as good as on the scrap heap. Rockhold is going to need to fight someone to get near title contention. I think realistically the loser of Jacare vs Bobby Knuckles seems fair enough. He's coming off a loss an injury and a sustained spell of inactivity and they'll be coming off a loss.

The winner should really get Moose. Romero should just be holding on for the next title shot.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They should do the Jacare/Whataker winner against Mousasi. Then either the winner of that goes in the Romero slot of waiting for a title shot, or actually face Romero for the vacant title after GSP/Bisping. Bisping says he's doing a quick turnaround if he wins.

Weidman can get the Brunson/Kelly winner. Rockhold is tough to match because he's a non-draw holding out for a draw while coming off a loss nearly a year ago.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spedizzo View Post
    Hope Jacare stays, I don't want to see Jacare fight randoms in Bellator and eventually job to one of them
    I agree but how much is he making per fight in the UFC with the Reebok deal?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kind of feel that Rumble threw that fight. He fought a completely different style. He also fought to Cormier's strengths and for the most part didn't seem like he wanted to win. Now the question is that he's under contract to the UFC. How do fighters think they can just walk away anytime they like?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...they can't force him to fight if he's retired.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Yeah, they are free to retire at anytime, but if they want to return the contract is still valid. Randy Couture vs. Zuffa set the precedent for that. Randy retired from the UFC with fights remaining on his contract, he then thought he could un-retire and fight Fedor (in Affliction?). No dice Randy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I see. Thanks for clearing that up.