Thread: Hitting the Links

My dad pinned Mr Backlund Kneeneighbor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Hitting the Links

This is a catch all thread for those who golf.

I thought we could keep track of rounds played in here and chat about different courses.

I have golfed 2-3 times a year since I was 14 but this year I plan on playing more and working on my game. 3 guys I work with play a lot and I will be joining them this spring. One of them is a 3 handicap and shot even par on a 9 hole round they played last week. With the weather clearing up here in Minnesota we plan on going out next week over Spring Break. (We are all teachers.)

I myself hit enough good shots to make me think if I played more I would have some potential but when I am playing "well" I typically shoot around 95.

So what do you typically shoot?

Any good courses near you?

Any tips to cut 5 shots off my game? (Besides skipping the first par 3)

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Oh I forgot to mention we will be playing at Bunker Hills. It hosted a Sr. PGA tour event for many years before they opened the TPC Twins Cities Course.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    When I was playing often I had a run of low 90's golf. For the most part I go out once a year now and try to break 100 but mostly just try and have a good time.

Golf is infuriating when you aren't playing enough but are trying to improve. I go so rarely now that I have zero expectations and just have a fun time.

Greater Los Angeles has some decent courses for being a city. There is a glaring lack of accessible coastal courses. Ventura and San Bernadino counties neighbor LA and really have some brilliant spots. I'll start snapping photos and posting my scorecard here but it won't be pretty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worked in golf for about 7 years while i tried to form a career path. Shoot in the mid-low 80's and if i catch a few breaks can get into the 70's. Lots of life lessons in the game.

End of the day it's a good excuse to spend 4 hours with people you like, and a great excuse to drink during the day.

Kneeneighbor: good balance, a still head, and finishing pretty will get you a long way. Best of luck!

I also suggest ironically talking to your ball like the pros do... (e.g. *skull one over the green*, "SIT!")

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got back into it after taking a decade off. Had to change my grip because now I have steel plates and screws in my right wrist and have developed a nasty slice because of it. Most times I can fix that with a combination of lining the ball up with my front foot and gripping the club more towards the left hand side of the club. Seems to work pretty well for me.

In the three years since I've been playing regularly again I usually get out two or three times a month from April-October. I play one great course in VT, called Tater Hill, each summer with my father in law when I visit him. Last time out I smoked one off the tee on the 400 yard second hole and he looks at me and says "I didn't know you could hit the ball that far." At that course I've taken more than 30 strokes off my game in three years. I hover around a 100-105 average everywhere else but I'm hoping to finally break 100 this year.

My first set of real clubs was a set of Tommy Armour I picked up at Dick's when I got back into it a few years ago. Sold them to a friend when I got serious. One of my vendors at work gave me a new set of Callaway irons after I hooked him up with a massive order. I think they took a few strokes off my game as well. I added a TaylorMade Jetspeed 3W and a Ping G20 driver I got off my cousin. He bought it brand new, hit it once at the range and decided he didn't like it. Got it for less than $100 off him.

As far as nice courses where I live, there's a few but they're almost exclusively private. The nicest public course is called Oxford Greens that I've played a couple times. The course I play most often is called Pomperaug Golf Club and is a 9 hole course I drive by on the way home from work. I can be on the links most days by 4:00 and will play 9 holes in a little under 2 hours. Can't beat the price: $21 and no cart fees after 4 pm. I hit my best drive ever on the 7th hole.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't keep a handicap but I usually shoot about a 90 (i.e. bogey golf). If I were to play sober, I'd probably improve that a bit (granted I play fairly easy public courses). The golf course is my favorite place to burn a J. Beers too but only a couple - that 3rd beer will make my game go downhill fast and the frustration isn't worth the buzz.

Last year I shot my all time low score of 80 and missed a 12 foot putt on the 18th green for 79. I want to break 80 at some point.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should get an app that tracks your handicap for you. I use one and it's great. All you have to do is put in the name of the golf course and what you shot and you're all set. My handicap is embarrassing.

I have a little vape pen that has about 60% THC in it. Couple puffs on that on the golf course and my day gets much better.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What app do you use? And what's your handicap?

Handicap, if the rules I once learned are still accurate, gives you a favorable number because the formula is such that it excludes your worst rounds. So out of your last 10 rounds it takes your 7 best, or something like that.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's on the Apple store and it's called Golf Handicap Tracker. It's free to use for your first 20 rounds to track, and then you can do a one time upgrade fee for like $5. My handicap, as of my last outing in October '16, was 28. But again, not terrible considering I've really only been playing seriously for three years.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    9 over this morning on 9 holes. Was 4 over through six but then took back to back double bogies.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a fucking garbage golfer, I lose 2 out of every 3 balls I hit with my driver. I have a push slice that's out of this world bad and I can't correct it. Been trying for years.

Absolutely love to golf though. I go any chance I get

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Ive worked on my slice by using a stronger grip. Basically taking my back hand and instead of grabbing the back side of the club rotating it slightly to the underside of the club. Its worked quite well. I still hit a slight fade but knowing how to play it and knowing it wont slice off into the woods has been great.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I improved my slice by lining up the ball with the inside of my front foot. Seems to work well for the most part.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I went out last week and was crushing my drives. I made this slow motion video of myself.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Playing up in VT this weekend with my father in law. Last year I tied him, I hope to beat him this time out. I haven't had as much practice this year as I'd hoped to but the few time I've been to the driving range so far I've tried to focus on slowing down my back swing. It hasn't added any extra yardage, but it reduces the slice I have. It's probably taken 5-10 yards off my slice and moved my ball closer to the center of the "fairway" at the driving range.

Definitely looking forward to getting out there and actually playing.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    My last two tee times have been rained out. Previous to that I played really well. I have been hitting my 3 iron about 200 yards straight as an arrow. Its become a real weapon on long holes.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hit a moving car last weekend which is probably one of the highlights of my golf "career"

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneeneighbor View Post
    My last two tee times have been rained out. Previous to that I played really well. I have been hitting my 3 iron about 200 yards straight as an arrow. Its become a real weapon on long holes.
    That's pretty impressive dude. I'm lucky if I can hit my 3 iron half that distance. My long iron play is embarrassing. I can usually do alright with a 3H.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Played with my FIL yesterday. Lost by two strokes. Worst part was that we came to the par 4 last hole and I was up a stroke. Ended up three putting. He hits a par and I double bogey.

The Thinking Man's Idiot Simmo Fortyone's Avatar
    Andre giant once eat kid hot dog at arena. He then laugh. I never forgive that fat motherfucker for that
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't played for about 12 years, when I used to have a bash around with my dad's old clubs, which were about 4-5 inches too short for me.

I've been on the lookout for a second-hand set of club for years that are long enough, whenever my girlfriend drags me along to second-hand stores/markets or garage sales. Finally picked up a set for $180 a few weeks ago. Looking forward to getting out on the course this spring to start getting into it.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    2 man scramble today at Viking Meadows. Shot a 4 under 68. We struggled a little early but shot 31 on the back 9.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been playing a lot this summer. We're scrambling a lot less and it's honestly really improved my game. My drives are findable and occasionally pretty damn good, my irons are solid most the time but my short game is garbage.

Thank God we play two putt or I'd probably give up

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Played 9 after work yesterday with a cousin. Terrible first two holes, did ok after that. Really turned it on for the last three, going birdie, par, birdie. Last hole is a killer but I finally managed to birdie it. 310 yards and straight, but with a 10 yard wide stream immediately before the green so you have to lay up. No way to drive over it. I hit my driver about 275, bringing me right to the edge of the fairway. Used my gap wedge to land on the green, and putted out for a birdie. I was pumped. Definitely the type of play that keeps me coming back.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I birdied 1 and 3 yesterday at Chominix. Its a tight track with a lot of trees. Only played 9 as it started raining after 5 but holes.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a new 3 wood and 5 wood this offseason. Looking forward to getting acquainted with those. But so what do you guys carry in your bag? I used to go 3 wood and 7 wood, my plan was to replace both those with the new ones but now I'm thinking that because I love my 7 wood so much I'll keep it. Driver - 3 wood - 5 wood - 7 wood and drop my 3 iron (or maybe 4 iron... and keep my 3 iron for when I need to hit under a tree branch). I go sand/gap/pitching for wedges (no lob wedge - I feel I get enough loft from my sand wedge, but I wouldn't hate getting a lob wedge at some point).

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice! I love getting new clubs.

I have Driver - 3 Wood - 3H - 4H.

I wasn't having much luck with a 5W so I sold it off last year. I just couldn't get it squared up the way I wanted and I ended up having more success with my 3H. Like you I also go sand/approach/pitching for wedges. My approach wedge is one of my more successful clubs - I can hit it very well and very accurately more often than not.

I might swap out my 3H and 4H for new ones if I can find a good deal at some point this summer. I plan to hit the driving range this weekend and start shaking off the rust. My father in law told me he wants to stay with us in the summer for a few days and play a couple of the local courses. Really want to beat him.
    Last edited by BigAle; April 24th, 2018 at 2:27 PM.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hit the range on Sunday. The new woods are feeling nice.

I have never gone with hybrids. I probably should give them a fair shot at some point but I still love fairway woods. My 7 wood is one of my favorite clubs.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find hybrids to be more forgiving which works for me. Maybe if I get a few more years experience under my belt I'll make a switch to woods.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I hit my 3 iron a mile so I just play Driver, 3 wood 3 iron for my long clubs.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm playing Sand Hill Crane in a couple weeks when we go down to visit my father in law in Florida. Beautiful course. I played it a couple years ago with him and loved it. Only course I've ever been on where I saw a live alligator. It's challenging but not so tough as to be unplayable for somebody who doesn't play often. I haven't swung a club in about 18 months so I'm a little nervous to have to shake the rust off. We'll go to the driving range the day before we play, hopefully that'll help.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    First round of the year was this morning. 3 birdies today. Did it on a par 3, 4 and 5 so that was fun. Still inconsistent but my game is coming along. I would be better if I was any good from inside 100 yards.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What did you shoot

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    What did you shoot
    Career best 91.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job Knee. Shooting a career best is a great feeling.

I'm heading out this weekend with my father in law and my 16 year old niece. My goal is to shoot under 100 and it's doable if I can stop 3-putting so often and improve my iron game.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneeneighbor View Post
    Career best 91.
    nice. 3 birdies is awesome. I shoot mid 90s on average and I don't recall ever having a 3-birdie round. granted I play 9 holes more often than I play 18.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I do not think I have ever had than 1 in a round.

We typically play 9 holes on Friday afternoons and play some sort of scramble. I have another group of teachers I play with and we play 18 on Tuesday Mornings if I make it.

Mentioned
    302 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm didn't know this thread was here....

Heading out tomorrow morning for first time of season. I anticipate playing a lot in the next couple months, as I have a vacation in Northern Ireland planned in August and I managed to secure a tee time at Royal Portrush. Just don't want to embarrass myself out there.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Played with my father in law, his wife, and my niece this weekend. Did surprisingly well since it's the first time I've been out in nearly two years. Didn't play in Florida in the spring due to rain.

I hit a 49 on the front nine. Hit a couple of really good shots and some really bad ones too. Started off the back nine with a birdie, par, birdie. Definitely need to work on my iron play but my putting has dramatically improved. I didn't have a single three putt all day. I did start to get a little sore over the last four holes and struggled, hitting at least a bogey on all four holes. Damn degenerating discs in my neck. Even so, I'm happy with how I did for the day.

My niece, who has only been playing since April, is quite good for a beginner. She hits very straight tee shots and can chip as well as anybody I've ever seen. She's deadly accurate from less than 10 yards off the green.