User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WWE Hall of Fame 2017

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have thought that Edge would probably induct Beth given that they are married. Teddy Long I'd guess that Ron Simmons would be obvious one to do it given that Teddy managed Doom featuring Ron in WCW and with Teddy being this year's BAME entrant then it makes sense for Ron to do inductions.

Rock N'Roll Express is a harder one given that they never really worked for WWE. Jim Cornette is the logical guy but given his history with WWE would they allow him an open mic at an event like that also he has been very disparaging about Kevin Dunn in recent years so I'd guess Kevin may not want him to do it. A lot could depend on whether Trips pushes for Cornette as I don't think the Express would be in a strong bargaining position about who'd induct them. There are WWE employees like Arn Anderson who feuded with the Express, Paul Ellering whose Road Warriors were classic opponents for the Express or even Booker T who used the Express for his promotion in recent years.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, I'd go with Shawn Michaels inducting the Rock and Roll Express. He was a huge mark for the team, you can see it in the way the Rockers were formulated and how Shawn is such a great selling machine like Ricky was back in the day. Or maybe they have Jerry Lawler because wasn't it Jerry Lawler who essentially put them together? I honestly do not know who else would do it other than like The New Day.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shawn would easily be the biggest name they could get of anyone who had a legit reason to induct them and the Rockers were almost a copy of the Express when they started so I'd agree he would be the best "big name" inductor and if he indicated a wish to do it, Trips would happily sign it off.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simmons and JBL are inducting Teddy. Glad they gave him his friends instead of ribbing him with one of the other GMs (Johnny Ace, Vickie).

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just announced by WWE: Jim Cornette inducting R&R Express

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's fucking awesome. Hope this means Cornette and the Midnight Express go in next year in New Orleans.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by casselmm47 View Post
    Just announced by WWE: Jim Cornette inducting R&R Express
    Holy fucking shit! I just checked the weather and yep, Hell froze over. haha. Other than Shawn Michaels I was really scratching my head as to who they would get to do the induction simply because I didn't think they'd holler at JC or Bobby Eaton, especially Cornette. But knowing Cornette, it's not about Vince or Kevin Dunn or the current product, it's about the R&R Express.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's incredible, man. It goes to show the leaps and bounds WWE have taken the past 3-4 years. Ten years ago, Vince would have never brought back guys like Cornette, Taz, etc., for these specials. Awesome stuff.

The Great Pretender Ravin Lunatic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I remember hearing rumors that they were supposed to take over the NBA shit in Universal.
    That became something like Willie Wonkas Chocolate factory I do believe... I can't recall the actual name of it.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just at Universal 2 years ago. It's crazy how much new stuff is popping up there this year and I didn't even see anything being built back then but I guess it doesn't take that long to put this stuff together.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not that shocked for a couple reasons. One, Cornette doesn't have any problem with Vince. Two, he doesn't have much of a problem with Triple H. He's been critical of WWE, but less so than a lot of people Vince has done business with. And above all, Cornette has such a respect for the Rock N Roll Express and for the history of the wrestling business in general that I couldn't imagine he would pass up the opportunity to honor them the way they deserve. He's a pro, he'll behave himself (to the extent that he ever does) for the induction because he won't want to take away from their moment.

The only question for me was whether WWE would make the call and I'm not that shocked. I think Vince loves bringing people who have shit talked him and his company to work for him. It's his way of getting the last word, they might talk shit about him but they'll still come work for him.

Banned
    Smoking Meth and cuddling with an Armenian Gender Queer on a broken couch inside of an abandoned abortion clinic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iraq
    He has said some hardcore shit about Hunter in the recent past.

so, yeah... I'd say that he certainly has a problem with him.

I look forward to seeing Corny at the HOF.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey_Badger View Post
    That's incredible, man. It goes to show the leaps and bounds WWE have taken the past 3-4 years. Ten years ago, Vince would have never brought back guys like Cornette, Taz, etc., for these specials. Awesome stuff.
    It's easy to be magnanimous when you're the 4th Reich in 1942.

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Behave.

UNSTOPPABLE. UNBEATABLE. Judas Iscariot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Third Reich not fourth.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is wrestling. For as much as the Cornette's and Russo's can piss and moan about Vince, wave them a cheque and give them a soapbox and they'll work for him. I don't think Vince cares what anybody says. He knows it's the carny side of wrestling. Sue him and he'll hold a grudge, but words are just the way those guys hustle and Vince really wouldn't care.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Judas Iscariot View Post
    Third Reich not fourth.
    You're right.

Ive obviously been way too occupied with Trump lately.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is wonderful news to hear. Jim is the only person that really makes sense to do this introduction and it will be a damn good one.

Banned
    Smoking Meth and cuddling with an Armenian Gender Queer on a broken couch inside of an abandoned abortion clinic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iraq
    Is the HOF ceremony live?

Corny with a live mic on WWE programming...

it's like a fever dream.

I usually skip these things... but with Cornette and Angle speaking-- plus Rick Rude's induction-- I wouldn't miss it for the world.

I commend WWE for having the sack to bring in Corny.

Now it's only a matter of time before he's inducted...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iraq
    Notice how he's pulled back the reins with the WWE trash talk as of late...

Defiance is a four letter
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slutty McWhoreface View Post
    Notice how he's pulled back the reins with the WWE trash talk as of late...
    That's been happening for a while. Most of the time I've given his podcast a listen he's been pretty warm to the company, especially for NXT. There's even what sounds like a begrudging respect for HHH now.

I love that this is happening. If it all goes off without a hitch and bridges are mended Cornette would be a phenomenal presence to have around the performance centre in any capacity. All likely pie in the sky - he seems very happy with his lot right now with occasional indie shows, personal appearances and all the clouds in the world to yell at - but a man can dream.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Cornette's past the point of doing anything more than some indy shows. Not moving to Orlando, doesn't fly so would have to drive down there.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just announced by WWE: Bischoff inducting DDP

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by casselmm47 View Post
    Just announced by WWE: Bischoff inducting DDP
    It's going to be cool seeing Bischoff and Cornette out there. The WWE should just have Bischoff, Heyman, Prichard, Cornette, and Ross handle the booking and writing of the shows. It will probably be so much better of a product.]
    Last edited by PurePlayer; March 21st, 2017 at 2:01 PM.

Andy
    Surely Jake or Hall was the choice for DDP, that's pretty disappointing.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really when you think about it. Bischoff and DDP were neighbors forever. Bischoff I believe is who got DDP his WCW gig and Bischoff is the guy who saw the star potential in DDP to push him to the moon and back. I actually didn't even think of Bischoff when rattling a couple names in my head for DDP's induction. Trust me, Jake or Scott Hall would have been pretty cool but are they reliable? Both have claimed sobriety or on the path multiple times including during their stints at DDP's house so I imagine being reliable is a key factor.

And for all we know, DDP might have requested Bischoff for the reasons I gave.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Surely Jake or Hall was the choice for DDP, that's pretty disappointing.
    why is it disappointing if Page is ok with it?

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    Not really when you think about it. Bischoff and DDP were neighbors forever. Bischoff I believe is who got DDP his WCW gig and Bischoff is the guy who saw the star potential in DDP to push him to the moon and back. I actually didn't even think of Bischoff when rattling a couple names in my head for DDP's induction. Trust me, Jake or Scott Hall would have been pretty cool but are they reliable? Both have claimed sobriety or on the path multiple times including during their stints at DDP's house so I imagine being reliable is a key factor.

And for all we know, DDP might have requested Bischoff for the reasons I gave.
    they have been reliable when they were asked to show up when they were inducted so yeah I would say they are reliable.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PurePlayer View Post
    they have been reliable when they were asked to show up when they were inducted so yeah I would say they are reliable.
    Right on.

Andy
    Disappointing for me personally - just would've loved to hear a Jake speech for DDP. Nothing against Bischoff, just would've rather seen Jake do it.

Banned
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Encle Eric>Jake

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definitely feel an emotional speech from Jake would be awesome.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's going to be cool seeing Bischoff and Cornette out there. The WWE should just have Bischoff, Heyman, Prichard, Cornette, and Ross handle the booking and writing of the shows. It will probably be so much better of a product.
    Better yet, get all those guys around a table and have them talk for a couple of hours. Then throw in some alcohol and Vince Russo, and now you have a show.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RuneEdge View Post
    Better yet, get all those guys around a table and have them talk for a couple of hours. Then throw in some alcohol and Vince Russo, and now you have a show.
    do a legends of wrestling show on the network. i would watch it. Hell, do a legends house season 2 with them

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Drunk History", WWE style.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Legends of Wrestling was such a great show. Just a bunch of old school wrestlers sitting around, drinking, smoking cigars, and talking wrestling. I might have to start watching those again.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really liked the nWo one with Kevin Nash, Michael Hayes, Jim Ross, JJ Dillon, and Mean Gene.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iraq
    Vince doesn't have the balls to air a modern 'Legends Of Wrestling'- style program... candid discussions and shoot-style interviews are a no-no in the modern day WWE.

I'd be willing to bet that's why The 'Stone Cold Podcast' was cancelled; perhaps even JBL's show as well.

instead, we get self-serving bullshit, like: 'Bring It To The Table'... which is more or less a shoot platform for Vince to tell the smark fans to go fuck themselves; via his avatar, JBL.

the micro-managing is what's killing the product.

If you want to call this "The Reality Era"-- then you should expect off-the-cuff comments.

At this rate, by this time next year-- I fully expect WWE to be a subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be willing to bet that's why The 'Stone Cold Podcast' was cancelled;
    I think according to some rumour report, this is exactly why the show was cancelled. They love all the attention any shoot style product will bring, but can't handle the all too honest shoot nature of it.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iraq
    I think according to some rumour report, this is exactly why the show was cancelled. They love all the attention any shoot style product will bring, but can't handle the all too honest shoot nature of it.
    It's ridiculous. I thought I heard something about it being canceled due to ratings... which is laughable; that was the WWE audience's change to get a dose of "reality"-- which is supposedly their M.O. these days-- and that was taken away from them for obvious reasons.

I knew as soon as they stopped running them live-- and started doing them pre-recorded via Austin's ranch-- that its days were numbered.

From Austin-- to Batista-- so many former WWE talents have indicated how they would be willing to do more with the company if they just loosened their grip a little on their PG format.

Vince is only hurting himself.

the funny thing is, WWE could retain its PG branding while still pushing more edgy storylines and content.

and when they do... what do they waste it on?

nonsense like Enzo Amore sexually harassing Lana whilst nude.

it just doesn't make any fucking sense.

but I guess that's WWE in a nutshell.

As a die-hard fan for several decades-- I just need to filter out what I don't like and focus on what I do.

the only thing really enjoyable to me these days is the in-ring action... depending on who's wrestling.

but back on topic: this will be the first full HOF ceremony that I've watched live(?) in years.

Jimmy's gonna bring the house down.

I talk to his wife quite frequently, and he's giddy about this whole ordeal...

as giddy as Cornette can be, anyway.

looking forward to it.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iraq
    Just one last thing regarding 'Bring It To TheTable"... good on Corey Graves for speaking his mind in regards to the Styles/Shane match at WM.

if he get's relegated to Main Event, I think we'll know why.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just one last thing regarding 'Bring It To TheTable"... good on Corey Graves for speaking his mind in regards to the Styles/Shane match at WM.

Haha.

I bet Triple H was like "Good boy Graves, I'm the only son in this family who matters!" haha.

I understood his point though. Shane is a spot monkey because in a way he has to be because he's limited in what he can do. But that doesn't mean anything if the match itself turns out good. Shane v. Kurt Angle is almost the same situation in here you have a below average worker in Shane who relies on getting his ass kicked and a crazy spot or two. Then you have the wrestling machine, the best in the world in Kurt Angle. I'm sure there were fans going "Why is Kurt Angle wrestling Shane McMahon of all people when he should be wrestling Benoit in a 5 star classic."

The crazy thing is that was the only Smackdown match they even talked about it so maybe Graves being a Raw guy he slighted the match because throughout the whole thing he was very pro-heel. JBL walks that line on Smackdown. He favors heels but like with last week, he shunned Styles' actions for attacking "an officer of the WWE".

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's going to be cool seeing Bischoff and Cornette out there. The WWE should just have Bischoff, Heyman, Prichard, Cornette, and Ross handle the booking and writing of the shows. It will probably be so much better of a product.]
    outside of heyman, who seems like the most adaptable to the times person there, i want these old dudes to be far away from booking. people will complain about part time old guys taking up spots on the card but still throw these twenty years past their peak old white dudes out there as potential saviors of writing teams.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iraq
    Haha.

I bet Triple H was like "Good boy Graves, I'm the only son in this family who matters!" haha.

I understood his point though. Shane is a spot monkey because in a way he has to be because he's limited in what he can do. But that doesn't mean anything if the match itself turns out good. Shane v. Kurt Angle is almost the same situation in here you have a below average worker in Shane who relies on getting his ass kicked and a crazy spot or two. Then you have the wrestling machine, the best in the world in Kurt Angle. I'm sure there were fans going "Why is Kurt Angle wrestling Shane McMahon of all people when he should be wrestling Benoit in a 5 star classic."

The crazy thing is that was the only Smackdown match they even talked about it so maybe Graves being a Raw guy he slighted the match because throughout the whole thing he was very pro-heel. JBL walks that line on Smackdown. He favors heels but like with last week, he shunned Styles' actions for attacking "an officer of the WWE".
    Shane vs Kurt was an exception to the rule for sure.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrison View Post
    outside of heyman, who seems like the most adaptable to the times person there, i want these old dudes to be far away from booking. people will complain about part time old guys taking up spots on the card but still throw these twenty years past their peak old white dudes out there as potential saviors of writing teams.
    I think the issue with the writing team are the Hollywood writers who don't have a clue about pro wrestling. Vince didn't have a bunch of young guys booking during the Hogan era, it was him and Pat Patterson. Experience can go a long way in wrestling. I would say the product dipped when the creative team started to become a bunch of 20 somethings who were getting hired because they worked on ICarly and Buffy the Vampire Slayer once or twice.

Give me a seasoned vet over someone trying to pad their resume to land a gig writing for Jimmy Fallon any day.

Shane vs Kurt was an exception to the rule for sure.
    But it's the same premise. You have the guy who people considered the best in the world who could carry a guy with far less skill than Shane to a 4 star match. Styles could be facing Titus and it'd be a great match. Shane is definitely a better worker overall than several wrestlers on the roster. I'll even throw in the HBK v. Shane match at SNME awhile back. Fun little gimmick match and again, he was in there with IMHO the best wrestler of all time.

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the issue with the writing team are the Hollywood writers who don't have a clue about pro wrestling. Vince didn't have a bunch of young guys booking during the Hogan era, it was him and Pat Patterson. Experience can go a long way in wrestling. I would say the product dipped when the creative team started to become a bunch of 20 somethings who were getting hired because they worked on ICarly and Buffy the Vampire Slayer once or twice.

Give me a seasoned vet over someone trying to pad their resume to land a gig writing for Jimmy Fallon any day.

But it's the same premise. You have the guy who people considered the best in the world who could carry a guy with far less skill than Shane to a 4 star match. Styles could be facing Titus and it'd be a great match. Shane is definitely a better worker overall than several wrestlers on the roster. I'll even throw in the HBK v. Shane match at SNME awhile back. Fun little gimmick match and again, he was in there with IMHO the best wrestler of all time.
    the current WWE approach of having a staff of college graduate television writers isnt the correct one either, obviously. but i'd rather younger, wrestling-centric blood be infused into booking. someone that is closer to being involved in current trends and culture that can develop it with wrestling in mind. i dont think these dudes pushing 60 who havent had any meaningful success in more than a decade can hit that. on a base level maybe the coherence of storylines might improve, but i dont think we'll get any truly great innovations or modern movement out of them.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iraq
    There needs to be a 'WWE 24" that documents Cornette's encounters with everyone he torched in the company over the years...

but mainly Nosferatu- Kevin Dunn.

after honoring the Rock N' Rolls, will he sign-off with his signature- "Thank You. Fuck you. Goodbye?"

in all seriousness... i'm sure he will be very respectful. you know that he wants to be inducted alongside The Midnight Express sometime over the next few years.

as long as he eats one of those Marijuana edibles that he takes for "creativity" beforehand-- he should be pretty mellow...

but what fun is that?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who is Biscoff inducting?

DDP?

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the current WWE approach of having a staff of college graduate television writers isnt the correct one either, obviously. but i'd rather younger, wrestling-centric blood be infused into booking. someone that is closer to being involved in current trends and culture that can develop it with wrestling in mind. i dont think these dudes pushing 60 who havent had any meaningful success in more than a decade can hit that. on a base level maybe the coherence of storylines might improve, but i dont think we'll get any truly great innovations or modern movement out of them.
    Prichard, Bischoff, and JR seem to be having pretty good success lately. They all seem to have a good mind for the business. Bischoff had some really good ideas in WCW but once he left you can see the writing get really really bad. Everyone is going to have bad ideas that is why Vince and Steph will obviously be there to approve but at least we might get some better writing than we are getting now. I enjoyed the work these old timers put in when they were in charge of the booking and they all seemed to adapt to the times with their podcasts. Whether the writing might not be groundbreaking, it will probably be better than what he have which isn't a bad thing. It's always good to have smart wrestling minds in there.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

considering it is edited, I doubt they would have showed it if they didn't want it to air.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume just by listening to people who have worked there, whether it was 20 years or 5 months, there are a lot of Yes Men and I don't know if age really matters. Pat Patterson was in his 50's during the Rock N Wrestling boom, that was just pure luck. Vince Russo was in his late 20's but we saw what happens when he doesn't have Vince McMahon, Jim Ross, etc. to filter his ideas. The last 15 years the writing team is mostly younger folk who don't seem to be either capable, able, or a little of both to help get a product out there that is appealing to the masses like it was during certain parts of the 80's and 90's. We could roll out a list of excuses as to why things aren't as great as they once were or could be, whether that's on Vince, Stephanie, Kevin Dunn, Michael Cole, Titus, who knows.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Feel like TNA has put the approach of hiring old dudes who had success 20 years ago to run things to the test.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Nattie will be inducting Beth

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just in via WWEs Facebook page: Natalya inducting Beth Phoenix

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Law View Post
    Feel like TNA has put the approach of hiring old dudes who had success 20 years ago to run things to the test.
    I'll take the likes of Bruce Prichard over the likes of 24 year old who wrote a sentence for Jimmy Fallon one time any day.

But the reality is, it doesn't matter who's on the creative team if the product itself is in this super low state of being. WWE, Impact, they need more than guys with a great track record or in tune with the dumb fucks who watch Teen Mom and bump trap music because pop culture fucking sucks even more than ever.

They just need to get lucky, they=any wrestling promotion. WWE, their biggest issue is they're too scripted which is why it doesn't matter if it's Heyman, Russo, Prichard, or some young guy trying to use WWE as a springboard to something else in Hollywood.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really shit on the writers for a couple reasons. One, they're not really in charge of anything. The people with the most power are wrestling people: Vince, HHH, Stephanie, Road Dogg, Michael Hayes. And even if the writers were actually in charge, Vince is the one who hired them and put them in that position and ultimately approves everything that goes out on screen. Vince was the one who made the decision to switch from booking by the pool with Patterson and Prichard to a small writing team and then to a full writer's room like a TV show. And maybe that was Stephanie's idea, but Vince was the one who approved it. And so when old-timers shit on the writers, I always wish someone would turn it around and ask them why it isn't Vince's fault for hiring the writers and approving their work.

I think this gets to a little something about Vince: for his many talents, he's never been a good booker. He's a genius at business, promotion, presentation. But as far as booking wrestling matches, getting from A to B, he's always had other people for that. Pat Patterson was the big one for a long time, and I think they really suffered from losing him. I think what we're seeing the last few years is Vince's idea of how to book the territory, and it's not good.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure we could just say it's all Vince's fault but I truly believe the "old way" was better than what they transitioned to with the overly scripted product. Yes, that is Vince's final call but the influence is still there. Maybe what he approves is the best he is given to work with and if you have 20 ideas that are dog shit and 2 ideas that are bird shit, bird shit doesn't smell as bad let's just say that lol. But as far as the ideal team, I'd rather he be surrounded by people with experience in the business, even if it's minimal. Look at Russo. They didn't just hire him and immediately put him on the booking team. Eric Bischoff paid dues.

I'm always curious as to what the criteria for hiring someone to help write shows actually is. Do they (WWE) ask them to give the WWE a couple angle and/or character ideas and go from there? You can't necessarily go "Ok this dude helped write the Rob Lowe Roast on Comedy Central, he'd be a good fit!"

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember one guy said he actually wrote an episode of Smackdown as part of his application and they ended up interviewing him and hiring him. Everyone I've ever heard interviewed on a podcast who was a former writer said they had been a wrestling fan growing up, some of them might just be saying that. I've also heard that the sweet spot for what they were looking for was someone who was a fan of wrestling but not too big of a fan. Like, somebody who had watched as a kid but not somebody who was a hardcore fan.

I assume they ask them for a few ideas in their interview. Would be kind of crazy not to.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would bet a lot of people when they were kids were wrestling fans.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iraq
    You need an experienced veteran having a hands-on role behind the scenes who can pass along some of the time honored traditions of the business-- while making sure that you don't end-up with "comedic"-driven nonsense like that 'Shakira" wrestling...

or whatever the fuck it's called.

Then again, it's also a double-edged sword: because, we have an out-of-touch 70- year-old man writing some of the most cringey segments in the history of "sports entertainment."

it's a fine line.

there needs to be the kind of younger presence behind the scenes in creative to throw-out modernized ideas that can be filtered-through Vinny Mac and Trips...

Much like Vince Russo during The Attitude Era.

i'm not a big fan of the guy, but if it weren't for him approaching McMahon with the ideas he had-- there's a very good possibility that there would be no WWE today.

they need to find the perfect balance.

On topic: Jake Roberts was a shoe-in to induct DDP... but Easy E is also an excellent choice.

that DDP Yoga is legit; my back injuries have all but healed since I started using it a couple months ago.

it's also boosted my numbers in the weight lifting department-- ten-fold.

couldn't be happier for the original 'People's Champion."

it's the least WWE can do, seeing as they raped his legacy when he joined their company during the 'Invasion' angle.
    Last edited by Slutty McWhoreface; March 22nd, 2017 at 3:42 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iraq
    forgot to add that it also wouldn't hurt if said writers were actual wrestling fans with extensive knowledge of the industry.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will say this, in terms of being down with pop culture and things that are relevant, the WWE aren't exactly outdated in that respect. Yeah, sometimes JBL busts out some John Wayne reference but it's John Wayne, you don't have to be a 50 year old to know who that guy is or why the comment has been made. I mean yeah I'm 35, I'm not exactly driving around in skinny bedazzled jeans bumping Drake and A$AP Ferg but motherfucker I do bump Earl Sweatshirt and Peyton List follows me on Instagram so I'm cool enough lol. But I don't watch Raw or Smackdown or a ppv and think "Man this shit is like watching the 1980's" and maybe that's what we should be thinking-at least in terms of the way matches are booked and people are pushed because this 50/50 shit and Roman Reigns up our ass harder than John Cena ever was is just not working and that's not an approach they used during their most successful years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm always curious as to what the criteria for hiring someone to help write shows actually is. Do they (WWE) ask them to give the WWE a couple angle and/or character ideas and go from there? You can't necessarily go "Ok this dude helped write the Rob Lowe Roast on Comedy Central, he'd be a good fit!"
    Interesting point. Take star trek. They'd get fan scripts all the time. They'd even use a couple. But they only made one or two a staff writer after a few successful scripts. Maybe wwe would have better luck taking some ideas freelance at first and then moving proven commodies to the writing team. Though I'd also prefer the booking by the pool approach. With wrestlers and agents (not producers, fuck that term) filling in the blanks.

I liken it to how the star wars films were collaborative efforts with the actors even giving their input and ideas; to the prequels where it was basically all Lucas. Come to think of it Lucas and McMahon can be compared in many ways.
    Last edited by Excel; March 22nd, 2017 at 6:45 PM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about the writing team, but I can tell you for sure that during the second round of interviews people on the marketing/social media team had to come up with examples to show the WWE what the interviewees were capable of creating.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me the issue is two things:

1. Scripted promos
    2. 50/50 booking

If you go back to bullet points, allowing talent to organically evolve their characters and get over, things will improve dramatically.

And if you stop doing the same matches over and over and over with 50/50 booking, people will actually start getting pushes and developing fan bases.

I don't feel like it's tough to see, but for some reason, they just don't see it.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    With so much TV time to fill, I can see why the 50/50 booking came about.

Still bollocks though.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Who the fuck is Peyton List

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who the fuck is Peyton List
    If you were cool you'd know.

My dad pinned Mr Backlund Kneeneighbor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I had to google the name. I recognizer her from the show my kids used to watch Hey Jessie!

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneeneighbor View Post
    I had to google the name. I recognizer her from the show my kids used to watch Hey Jessie!
    She's in those Diary of a Wimpy Kid movies and a show called Bunk'd. I only know any of this because I have 4 kids that range from 15 to 6 so they keep me updated lol.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Is that show about sneaking up on people and giving them a bed?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that show about sneaking up on people and giving them a bed?
    Clever!

My dad pinned Mr Backlund Kneeneighbor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    She's in those Diary of a Wimpy Kid movies and a show called Bunk'd. I only know any of this because I have 4 kids that range from 15 to 6 so they keep me updated lol.
    When Debby Ryan (Jessie) left Hey Jessie, they took half of the cast from that show and put them on Bu'nked. Call me old fashion but I prefered "Hey Dude" for my summer camp antics.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneeneighbor View Post
    When Debby Ryan (Jessie) left Hey Jessie, they took half of the cast from that show and put them on Bu'nked. Call me old fashion but I prefered "Hey Dude" for my summer camp antics.
    "Hey Dude" and "Salute Your Shorts".

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Dude like a motherfucker.

I wonder if anyone ever located that one actor that went missing?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    Hey Dude like a motherfucker.

I wonder if anyone ever located that one actor that went missing?
    He didn't go missing just fell off the Hollywood radar. According to this article he lives in Tuscon.

http://99redblumes.tumblr.com/post/8...y-dude-dead-or

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to derail this thread too hard but Nickelodeon was the shit for awhile. Maybe it is to the youth still, Idk, seems like the death of shows like Drake and Josh and ICarly took some of the fun out of the current shows because none of my kids watch any of them anymore which is odd. But my generation we had Hey Dude, Salute Your Shorts, Fifteen, Clarissa, and my ultimate favorite, Are You Afraid Of The Dark?

TGIF with Full House, Step by Step, and then Saturday had the Nick shows (I know it had a name for the bundle of shows I don't remember it though). Memories....

Mentioned
    297 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Not to derail this thread too hard but Nickelodeon was the shit for awhile. Maybe it is to the youth still, Idk, seems like the death of shows like Drake and Josh and ICarly took some of the fun out of the current shows because none of my kids watch any of them anymore which is odd. But my generation we had Hey Dude, Salute Your Shorts, Fifteen, Clarissa, and my ultimate favorite, Are You Afraid Of The Dark?

TGIF with Full House, Step by Step, and then Saturday had the Nick shows (I know it had a name for the bundle of shows I don't remember it though). Memories....
    SNICK was the Saturday night Nick show block. Ren and Stimpy at 9!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Snick over the years had... All That, Roundhouse, Kenan and Kel, Doug, The Amanda Show, Are You Afraid of the Dark?, Ren and Stimpy... and I'm sure a few others I'm missing.

Edit: Was Guts part of SNICK? Or was that during the morning time? I just knew if I got on Guts I'd kill the competition and win the love of Mo atop the Aggro Crag.
    Last edited by VanillaJello; March 25th, 2017 at 2:51 AM.

Meh
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GODDDD I miss classic Nickelodeon

As a kid I always dreamed of going to Nickelodeon Studios, I finally made it, a few years too late. I have a Universal Annual Pass and go quite often, but Nick Studios has been replaced by a Blue Man Group attraction and looks nothing like it did. It makes me sad every time I walk by it. i was too late.

Mentioned
    297 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaJello View Post
    Snick over the years had... All That, Roundhouse, Kenan and Kel, Doug, The Amanda Show, Are You Afraid of the Dark?, Ren and Stimpy... and I'm sure a few others I'm missing.

Edit: Was Guts part of SNICK? Or was that during the morning time? I just knew if I got on Guts I'd kill the competition and win the love of Mo atop the Aggro Crag.
    I want to say Guts was in the morning with Double Dare. That and Legends of the Hidden Temple I always wanted to be on. One Halloween my friends and I all dressed up like the teams on Legends. I was a Blue Barracuda. Looking for hidden Treasure in a bar run on Halloween was as close as I got. Nothing like running from bar to bar looking for hidden treasure.

My sister always marked for The Secret World of Alex Mac which I believe was apart of SNICK. Same for Clarrisa Explains It All.
    Last edited by Jarrod1983; March 25th, 2017 at 8:30 AM.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whenever my life gets me so down
    I know I can go down...

Truer words have never been spoken.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by takerson View Post
    GODDDD I miss classic Nickelodeon

As a kid I always dreamed of going to Nickelodeon Studios, I finally made it, a few years too late. I have a Universal Annual Pass and go quite often, but Nick Studios has been replaced by a Blue Man Group attraction and looks nothing like it did. It makes me sad every time I walk by it. i was too late.
    Yo I remember telling my younger brother and my mom that we needed to do Family Double Dare. That was one of many dreams. Double Dare and VIDEO POWER. For those that don't remember Video Power, oh my God if you were a kid and into video games there was no other dream to achieve outside of the Toys R Us shopping spree. If you look it up, make sure you look up Season 2 as Season 1 was a different format. But Season 2 was when they turned it into more of a game show and if you won you got to make a mad dash and snatch up as many video games as you could

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I miss romper room

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking forward to this tonight. I feel they've jumped the gun on involving Angle in interviews and ESPN appearances, but it'll be great to see him in front of a WWE crowd again. You get the feeling that the reaction may determine plans for him going forward. If it's nuclear, and he passes his physicals of course, you can maybe see them replicating the Goldberg run later in the year with him. For as much as he became an overkill guy later in his career, nobody will ever have a better first 5 years of a pro wrestling career than him. What a prodigy. He'd been wrestling a fraction over 2 years when he had the Rock No Way Out match and the first Benoit series. First 18 months on TV too. Unreal.

DDP I expect to be the highlight. What a guy. Clearly means a lot to him too. Cornette I can give or take but should be entertaining enough. I hope they set up a tag match on stage with Teddy.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Undertaker is still allowed in WWE ring then no reason why Kurt should not pass required physicals. Also Jeff Hardy likely to return to should mean Kurt being active again isn't an issue.

I'm wondering if the WWE has any clear policy on HOF guys being active wrestlers on the roster as induction largely seems to happen after the guys have retired like in say Basketball. Hulk wrestled a few matches after HOF induction and Flair went in the night before his last WWE match but largely it is after guys have retired as otherwise Taker would surely have gone in by now.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    No idea when I'll be able to squeeze this in with all that's going on this weekend. Only option really is to watch live, but I don't see me doing that.

Going to be brilliant though. Best class they've had, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Kurt will hopefully replace Mick as Raw GM this week, sort of have an inclining he'll get involved in one of the matches, possibly HHH/Seth then build in that during Raw on Monday.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil

Man, I'd love to see Cornette manage the Revival just once.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Aye, I think a one-time deal could be seen on Saturday.

Fuck it, I've changed my plans and I'll now be watching Hall of Fame live. 5 nights in a row of being up until 4/5am. Actually, not quite true. My wife is out on Sunday afternoon and I'll catch TakeOver then.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post

Man, I'd love to see Cornette manage the Revival just once.
    Just that picture alone gives me a wrestling boner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am I the only one who thinks the marks shouldn't be at the Hall of Fame ceremony?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks the marks shouldn't be at the Hall of Fame ceremony?
    Marks are the ones who will appreciate this more than anyone else so on one hand yeah a few times they started up some stupid chants but again, who are you going to let in if you want fans that will appreciate it and actually go? The marks. My mom isn't going to the Hall of Fame to see Beth Phoenix get inducted lol.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Man, sharmell is in one he of a dress.

Somebody's mic is still on.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rene interviewing Mene Gene... man, that's an awesome gnotch on her belt.

And love Baron's jacket there. And his girl is stunning.

I'm really enjoying WWE pulling off the red carpet feel to this.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Corbin not done bad for a chap with that barnet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh my god look at Baron corben's outfit. He looks like he should be in a Dracula movie

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Thea Trinidad!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Roman Reigns is apparently dating an alien. Good on him.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero! View Post
    Thea Trinidad!
    Props to Aries for that. He's pushing 40.