Page 201 of 201 FirstFirst ... 101151171191199200201
Results 2,001 to 2,007 of 2007

Thread: 2017 NFL Thread

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PurePlayer View Post
    Aren't you making my point though when I say they adjusted and the Cowboys didn't? You mention how the coaching didn't help Chaz Green. Isn't that what I mean when I say adjustments? You say they didn't draft another linebacker but they expected Jaylen Smith to be better than he is. Who is to say another linebacker in the 4th round would have helped. They used their picks on corners which is fine but besides Lewis their secondary is subpar. The Eagles didn't have the best secondary when Darby went down but their front 4 and their COACHING or adjustments helped.

My point is, every single team has to deal with injuries. It just seems like Cowboy fans are the only ones that list them. It's very funny how they bring up Zeke as a missing player. Well, whose fault is that? They knew Zeke wouldn't be there for 6 games but they barely use their other running backs throughout the season. Instead they give him 30 carries knowing it might be a good idea to give your other running backs some reps so they are ready to go when he gets suspended.

You bring up the Eagles offense being a shell of their former selves after Lane Johnson left. Their offense was never really great because they didn't have a good receiver or running back to help Wentz from the start. They also lost 6 games by 7 or less points. Rookie coach, rookie QB and bad luck probably had something to do with that. They were able to somewhat mask Lane Johnson being out.
    I'm not arguing against you as such and said it's true - to a certain extent! Your back isn't up against a wall here. I've literally said there are coaching and personnel decisions that led to this but thanks for putting that in fucking bold mate. But like I said it's a simplistic way of looking at things - as mostly if you want to criticise the Cowboys (like I am actually!!) then saying it's about adjustment isn't the right place to target, as it's more about roster construction and personnel decisions - and I thought it was worth looking into why the Cowboys couldn't just flat out adjust on the coaching side.

I brought up questionable personnel decisions in criticism of my own team. Jaylon Smith is looking like a gigantic mistake yes, and linebacker depth should have been looked at closer, however we went younger on defense and needed to use those picks to develop a new secondary. The only way to rebuild the secondary whilst having a competitive team was to lean on players like Sean Lee, and to rely on the strongest part of our offense, the run game, with an elite running back and some great offensive linemen, to limit the time the defense is on the field. And we have got a competitive team this year still, the KC game was evidence of it all working great, so clearly it was a decent enough plan, and the coaches haven't received any credit for that - unfortunately the scenario that fucks the whole team's plan over has happened in that you lose multiple pieces literally overnight, key pieces you were relying on to hold the team together whilst the work in progress developed. This is why injuries are brought up by the fans and have affected us so much - it's hard to stomach going from what was a huge, impressive win to what we witnessed against the Falcons with the heart of our team not actually playing. Yes you are going to argue blah blah blah we got over injuries blah blah other teams have them too blah blah but here is your justification.

The salary cap and draft system forces parity in the NFL (although not total parity as some teams still haven't won a Super Bowl such as the Philadelphia Eagles) so unless you are the Patriots you can't always have a stacked roster with plenty of depth. You can only fill so many holes in one go. Sometimes you need to move on from your ageing expensive secondary. Last year's 13-3 team couldn't last forever like this year's team won't last forever for the Eagles. The Eagles have had poor teams and been rebuilding for years on end. Still, it IS a failure of the front office to not establish quality depth - having your franchise QB being a 4th round rookie should help this dramatically and with Romo's money off the books I expect it will. However Martin and Lawrence need contracts still. You draft good players you gotta pay them eventually. And sometimes this means when a stud All-Pro goes down you can't replace that production on the field. Your defensive scheme is built on pressure from the front 4 and unsurprising it can mask the loss of a cornerback. A long term serious injury suffered there and the knock on effects would cover your entire team I'm sure.

It's easy to say in hindsight now who should have been drafted but we have actually drafted very well overall, if we didn't draft Lewis and Lee was healthy you'd all be shouting at how we should have put more resources into the secondary instead I'm sure. I disagree with how you think the depth should have been resolved. I think free agency was the biggest downfall and we don't use it like other teams - building through the draft is sensible but you aren't getting quick fixes. The Eagles have used it well. We always sign mediocre stop gap filler shit who rarely pan out - Nolan Carroll was widely criticised at the time and rightly so, he was fucking terrible, and now is just dead money on next year's cap. Pointless.

Your Zeke point is horrible and you are massively clutching at straws for no reason now and I don't know why. It's completely unneccessary to the point you are making and shows you just want to find anything to beat the Cowboys over the head with. Zeke was fed the ball because he wouldn't be available for 6 games. It's common sense and you use your best offensive weapon if he's available. There's no need to limit his carries to keep him fresh for the rest of the year so you feed him the ball (we need his talent to win games!). No amount of reps is turning Alfred Morris into Ezekiel Elliot. Having the depth at running back they do to protect against the Elliot suspension is actually something they have done correctly.

Morrison made the Lane Johnson response for me but it's also the exactly the point I'm making that a key player being lost can bring down an average unit and it literally happened to the Eagles last year. It's also interesting to see how the effects of Peters and Hicks going down translate when the Eagles need to play good teams - Eagles have wins over the Redskins (they went down in that game), the terrible 49ers and the now Brock Osweiler led terrible Broncos who appear to have given up on the season.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to be technical, the eagles rebuild was really one year. They went 10-6 in 2013 and lost in the first round, 10-6 in 2014 and missed the playoffs and fired chip in 2015. The rebuild started there.

To the Zeke point. The cowboys knew the suspension was going to happen right? You would have to be blind as a franchise if they didnít think that. Why run him 30 times against the niners? Itís not that easy for players to have a limited amount of carriers and expect them to be productive even with practice. So no itís not a horrible point.

Yes the Eagles beat teams that arenít great since the injuries but itís not like they didnít go against a front 4 in Denver that could pose problems. They handled that well. I would also argue that the Skins are a pretty good team despite being 4-5. The cowboys beat them after their whole line got hurt the week before but nobody mentions that.

The Lane Johnson point is valid and I agree but when you look at their losses to the Giants, cowboys, second skins game, and ravens, it wasnít because of Lane. Poor coaching (going for it when you should kick a fg, throwing backward passes, etc) lack of weapons on offense, and a rookie Qb were the main reasons when you watch those games. Do they sneak out one of those if he plays? Maybe, but there wasnít a situation where they lost those close games because of him.

You make a ton of great points and are very knowledgeable about your team so you would know more than me. Iím not saying anything personal about you. Itís just seems that you have certain fans and sports personalities like Skip Bayless that are complaining about injuries more than anyone else. Maybe itís because of the media and the people that i know that is causing that perception

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mentioned the Redskins line earlier

Rod Smith did get some carries in the 49ers game. I just disagree with your point about running backs needing carries in earlier games especially veteran ones. That's fine. I think it's sensible to use Zeke as much as possible when he's available. On the flip side in this Falcons game I am really not sure why Dak was still in the game at the end taking a beating.

Unfortunately some fans are really dumb. The same is true for a portion of every NFL fanbase. I just like to look into why it is you have two teams with similar injuries and drastically different results as it is a genuinely fascinating (to me anyway) comparison between the teams, and two sets of fanbases trolling each other about it isn't the interesting part.

Hopefully it'll be a good game on Sunday even if I am less than optimistic. These division games can always be wild ones regardless of how good a team is that year!

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For sure! I’m still nervous about this game. Divisional games are always weird no matter what. I remember in 2013 when Romo got hurt and the eagles beat the boys by 2 points on an interception. I know how these games can be

Man of the Community
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure the Cowboys really believed the suspension would hold.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jerry jones certainly didn't.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jameis accused of sexual assault.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...le-uber-driver