User Tag List

Thread: King of the Ring 2017

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

King of the Ring 2017

What are the odds of getting a King of the ring this year. Both brands start with 16 and then narrow it down to 8 each and do the quarters semis brand finals and cross brand finals on a special event with the winners of the individual brand finals face each other.

Or just Semis finals then Cross brand Finals on the card.

Takes brand supremacy to another level with the GM's perhaps promising the winner a shot of their world championship if they win the whole thing.

The ladies can do the same sort of thing but with 8 instead of 16 and have the semis and finals at the PPV.

So King of the ring would be its own card without anything none king of the ring related matches.

If they only included up to upper mid carders they could really build it around these solid performers who haven't main evented a ppv before.

Lets do some fantasy booking here too

Who would you have be in the final 4 for each brand?

Who would go to the cross brand finals?

Who would then win the cross brand matches?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smackdown Final 4
    Dolph
    The Miz
    Baron Corbin
    Luke Harper

Raw Final 4
    Braun
    Sami Zayn
    Russev
    Cesaro

Cross Brand Finals
    Dolph Ziggler vs Sami Zayn (Who beat Braun via count out after he attempted a spear through a barricade if we are still protecting Braun.
    Charlotte vs Becky Lynch

King of the Ring: Sami Zayn (In my booking Kevin Owens is the current champion)
    Queen of the Ring: Becky Lynch

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They should run the finals in the old school RAW if we have that ever again! Give it more of a prestige.

dude it's iron man.. man
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all hail king reigns

?
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rusev should win and call himself the tsar of the ring.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As much as I would love them to do another KOTR (especially since the last one was so rushed), the winner is usually booked terribly afterwards. I have no idea why as this wasn't always the case. Originally, it was the first step towards building a new star (except for inaugural winner Bret Hart). You'd win the KOTR, then capture the IC Title, and finally move up to the main event. It wasn't always done in that order, but KOTR meant the company saw something in you. They haven't always picked the right person, but most of the winners have gone on to make a big impact in the company.

If they were to actually follow through and push the winner properly, I could get behind it, but if it's jus going to be a repeat of what they did with Regal, Sheamus, and Barrett, then forget about it. This actually would have been a perfect way to establish Roman Reigns. Hold off on his big push in 2015 and instead have him win the KOTR, then move on to the US title, and then win the Rumble in 2016 and win the title at 'Mania.

If they did hold another tournament, my picks to win would be either Sami Zayn or Rusev. Both guys could use a boost, but it will probably be more of a curse than a blessing. I don't know if they could be booked any worse right now, so why not stick a crown on their head?

I really wanted them to do a Queen of the Ring, but since they're moving forward with the Women's Tournament for the Network, I don't know if they would still do one for the main roster. Back before the Brand Split, I thought Becky Lynch would have been perfect to win it. Now, I'm not so sure. I've fantasy booked Bayley to win the Women's Royal Rumble (whenever they decide to do one), but she would be a good choice as well.
    Last edited by Sasori; January 21st, 2017 at 12:54 AM.

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bret hart isnt the first KOTR winner.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the tournament he is, which is what we're talking about.

Edit: For the PPV incarnation and onward. They did hold tournaments for the 80's Kings, but they weren't on PPV.
    Last edited by Sasori; January 21st, 2017 at 1:05 AM.

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so yes, i was right, that's all ya needed to say.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom_Axe View Post
    They should run the finals in the old school RAW if we have that ever again! Give it more of a prestige.
    I did enjoy the Old school raw show but with all the tournaments they show on the network this would be perfect for the main roster as a ppv as well to show case their mid card talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasori View Post
    As much as I would love them to do another KOTR (especially since the last one was so rushed), the winner is usually booked terribly afterwards.
    I can dig thatAt the very least this produces a underdog championship contender to sell another ppv with.

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the tournament he is, which is what we're talking about.

Edit: For the PPV incarnation and onward. They did hold tournaments for the 80's Kings, but they weren't on PPV.
    I seem to recall Harley Race, Haku and Macho Man all having extensive runs as King of the Ring and as of right now, being recognized as King of the Ring winners by WWE

So I guess you will just have to adjust your definition - just because kotr wasn't on ppv yet hardly nullifies their wins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Sasori. The brand has been tainted by them consistently doing the tacky King gimmick for the winner. No one will ever top Booker's version, so they should give it up.

Mentioned
    337 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    King Barrett had great potential, but they ruined it quickly by having him job to Truth over and over.

But yeah, no real strong desire to see this back. We've been spoiled by other great tournaments.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by NWo4LifeOr2Years View Post
    I seem to recall Harley Race, Haku and Macho Man all having extensive runs as King of the Ring and as of right now, being recognized as King of the Ring winners by WWE

So I guess you will just have to adjust your definition - just because kotr wasn't on ppv yet hardly nullifies their wins
    It's weid though, because once it went to PPV, WWE stopped acknowledging the old winners, so Bret was the "first ever" KOTR when he won in 93, despite the fact that he'd actually won it before in 1891. Weird, weird booking.

Mentioned
    337 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero! View Post
    It's weid though, because once it went to PPV, WWE stopped acknowledging the old winners, so Bret was the "first ever" KOTR when he won in 93, despite the fact that he'd actually won it before in 1891. Weird, weird booking.
    I knew Bret was old, but didn't think he was THAT old!

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I could go back and fix that typo, but I'm just gonna own it.

My dad pinned Mr Backlund Kneeneighbor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Where they started mucking up King of the Ring is when they added a title shot stipulation to the winner.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    When I saw the thread I though it was a real thing, bummer..

/Really like the idea of 8 guys from Smackdown and 8 guys from Raw with the respective winner facing in the finals.

They have the Dusty Rhodes classic for tag teams, the UK tournament and now a womens tournament coming up but god forbid having the historic King of the Ring tournament.. They can't blame not doing it on the old tournies doing poor PPV numbers anymore. I'm sure more people would watch a KOTR network special over something like say Roadblock, or whatever generic show they put on there.
    Last edited by OD50; January 21st, 2017 at 1:45 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Haku was the "king", he never won any KOTR tournaments though. He was awarded the crown by Bobby Heenan after Harley got injured vs Hogan.They did have a match for the crown though at the 1989 Royal Rumble. For some reason that match was removed from the VHS/DVD releases. Likewise Randy Savage didn't get the Macho King gimmick by winning the KOTR tournament (he won it in 1987) but became Macho King in the fall of 1989 by defeating "King" Hacksaw Duggan who in turn had defeated Haku for it. Tito Santana actually won the 1989 KOTR tournament (King Tito). The king title was more or less an unofficial title for that short period. They really changed it up whenever it fitted the storylines. Hogan didn't become "King" Hulkster in 1986-1987 despite pinning Harley Race 50 times, nor in 1988 when he pinned King Haku on SNME.

Mentioned
    337 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneeneighbor View Post
    Where they started mucking up King of the Ring is when they added a title shot stipulation to the winner.
    Did they do it that often? King Mabel was shite I agree, but it worked for Owen in 1994 and Lesnar in 2002. Maybe there's others I'm forgetting.

I'm more concerned with how the "King" is treated afterwards if Regal and Barrett are anything to go by. King Booker was great though.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWo4LifeOr2Years View Post

Race Started the Gimmick, but it was called King of the WWF. The King of the Ring was separate. In fact, the tournament was held even during Race's gimmick. I wish they showed the tournament in 89 since they had Strike Force go at it in the finals. Bret was the only one to win it twice. I would think maybe the best time to do the tournament would be Survivor series which is a Red vs Blue event anyway it seems with a King of Smackdown vs King of Raw finals.
    Last edited by Bluegunn; January 21st, 2017 at 3:41 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden

It was kind of a weird deal, Harley became the king after he won the 1986 KOTR tournament on July 14 and he was coronated on the August 30 episode of Championship Wrestling. There's no mention during the coronation whatsoever exactly why Harley Race is being crowned "king" though. According to wiki this was a way to get around that they couldn't talk about Harley's previous accolades since nothing outside of the WWF existed in those days. Harley was already considered the "king" of wrestling buy they of course couldn't talk about his NWA titles.

It's not like Don Muraco (1985), Randy Savage (1987), Ted DiBiase (1988) or Tito Santana (1989) started to run around calling themselves "king".

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only one who really owned the gimmick back then was the "Macho King" Randy Savage. He worked it like no on else.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    I think the KOTR would be good for Cesaro if Austin or Kurt handed him the gear for it. If anyone stood next to either one of them, they would get more over than any PPV main event win.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just think it would be a good way to promote their mid card and have some rivaly stuff with the other brand. Without the pressures of needing to sell ppv buys anymore i feel like this could be a good way to have a network event instead of a single brand show.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bobby Roode would be a cool King of the Ring.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinner View Post
    Bobby Roode would be a cool King of the Ring.
    That would be Glorious!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
    I just think it would be a good way to promote their mid card and have some rivaly stuff with the other brand. Without the pressures of needing to sell ppv buys anymore i feel like this could be a good way to have a network event instead of a single brand show.
    I agree on that point, I just think creative would need to be putting some adequate thought into what would follow for the winner.

Mentioned
    337 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only one who really owned the gimmick back then was the "Macho King" Randy Savage. He worked it like no on else.
    Truedat. Owen was pretty good too being the "King of Harts"

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are the odds of getting a King of the ring this year. Both brands start with 16 and then narrow it down to 8 each and do the quarters semis brand finals and cross brand finals on a special event with the winners of the individual brand finals face each other.
    Or just Semis finals then Cross brand Finals on the card.

Takes brand supremacy to another level with the GM's perhaps promising the winner a shot of their world championship if they win the whole thing.

The ladies can do the same sort of thing but with 8 instead of 16 and have the semis and finals at the PPV.

So King of the ring would be its own card without anything none king of the ring related matches.

If they only included up to upper mid carders they could really build it around these solid performers who haven't main evented a ppv before.

Lets do some fantasy booking here too

Who would you have be in the final 4 for each brand?

Who would go to the cross brand finals?

Who would then win the cross brand matches?
    KOTR 2002 determined the number #1 contender for Summerslam, which then led to Brock/Rock. I am convinced if they brought back the KOTR now and gave the winner the same prize it would add the prestige the tournament has been lacking everytime they have relaunched it in the past.

When it was a regular fixture you would have one ppv inbetween the KOTR ppv and Summerslam, if they made the tourney start as a network special around the same time this year, it would give them plenty of build to the title match at Summerslam. Even better they could have a 10 week tourney on the network similar to the CWC which starts right after Mania. 1 hour a week rather than a ppv full of tournament matches.

Mentioned
    337 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Miz would be perfect, inflate his ego even further. King Miz and Queen Maryse. Gets a title shot at Summerslam too.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Miz would be perfect, inflate his ego even further. King Miz and Queen Maryse. Gets a title shot at Summerslam too.
    That would be perfect for him!

The Thinking Man's Idiot Simmo Fortyone's Avatar
    Andre giant once eat kid hot dog at arena. He then laugh. I never forgive that fat motherfucker for that
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McBain View Post
    I agree on that point, I just think creative would need to be putting some adequate thought into what would follow for the winner.
    Step 1 - don't give them a fucking King gimmick

Just push them. Seems to work okay for the MITB winner.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nakamura debuting and winning the KOTR would be glorious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmo Fortyone View Post
    Step 1 - don't give them a fucking King gimmick

Just push them. Seems to work okay for the MITB winner.
    True.

Mentioned
    337 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it was anyone else, then yeah.

Miz and Maryse are overbearing enough to make it work though. Not necessarily robes and stuff, but just a remibder every time that they are the King and Queen of WWE as well as the Hollywood A-lister couple.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    If it was anyone else, then yeah.

Miz and Maryse are overbearing enough to make it work though. Not necessarily robes and stuff, but just a remibder every time that they are the King and Queen of WWE as well as the Hollywood A-lister couple.
    I agree. Miz and Maryse are beyond the king gimmick and the heel heat would be nuclear.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJH1986 View Post
    KOTR 2002 determined the number #1 contender for Summerslam, which then led to Brock/Rock. I am convinced if they brought back the KOTR now and gave the winner the same prize it would add the prestige the tournament has been lacking everytime they have relaunched it in the past.

When it was a regular fixture you would have one ppv inbetween the KOTR ppv and Summerslam, if they made the tourney start as a network special around the same time this year, it would give them plenty of build to the title match at Summerslam. Even better they could have a 10 week tourney on the network similar to the CWC which starts right after Mania. 1 hour a week rather than a ppv full of tournament matches.
    Since KOTR lost much of its prestige back in the 2000s, my idea to make it mean something again would be to have the winner get an automatic shot at the title at the next PPV. It would accomplish a few things: give KOTR and the title more meaning, automatic storylines for mid to lower card guys, and would build a few guys up at the same time. It could easily be a Network special. I always enjoyed KOTR when it meant building one of the next stars, and it would need to be an annual event for it to have legitimacy. I just feel it's something they could do right and have it be something better than the run of the mill PPVs. If they were going to resurrect it just have each show do their own tournaments and the winners from each tournament face off with the winner getting a shot at his brand's main belt.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always liked when someone would win KOTR and they didn't do the royalty gimmick. Sometimes it worked and it was entertaining, but I prefer situations like Edge, Bret, Shamrock, Lesnar, where they won it and weren't saddled with a KING gimmick.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked it when they adopted a king look into their attires without being outright i.e. Billy Gunn.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked it when they adopted a king look into their attires without being outright i.e. Billy Gunn.
    Owen Hart having the little crowns on his tights was cool. I think he came out wearing the crown and robe 1 or 2 times but other than that yeah not a fan.

Mentioned
    337 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Booker owned it though.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Help me out.....Was King Booker BEFORE or after his run in TNA?

Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish they would bring in Nash to do the pre show with Booker T and they could bring back their TNA commentary team of Black Snow and Chet Lemon.

Mentioned
    337 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or Don West who acts like he gets hyped for everything. Just don't show him reading from a script this time.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Give it to Ambrose. Vince would probably love a "royal lunatic" gimmick.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dean Ambrose should be the guy to win a one night 8-man tournament and go on to challenge the champion at Summerslam. Then get that big win and tell the fans to go fuck themselves and the same goes to the wrestlers.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I wouldn't turn Ambrose heel. It'd be great if he lost his cool over being passed over for part-timers, though.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep it in June, have it be an eight man tournament where the winner gets a shot at the title at SummerSlam. They'd have to move Money in the Bank though. Stop using it as a punishment. It used to elevate people and was a great stepping stone. Now if someone wins it, it's a joke. They're definitely missing the boat with not bringing this back as a PPV.

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The .King of the Ring is dead.

Rest in peace.