User Tag List

Thread: FourFourTwo's Best 100 Players of 2016

Simon

FourFourTwo's Best 100 Players of 2016

Full list is available here, I've spoilered the top 10 below.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/100-best-...l-players-2016

Thoughts? I'm surprised Ronaldo gets in ahead of Messi, and I'm not convinced Griezmann is about Neymar or Bale either. As usual there's no love for defenders (Jerome Boateng is the highest ranked defender at 16).

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never thought Ronaldo was better than Messi. I agree Griezmann in 4th is also too high.

Shame there are none of the Juventus defenders in that top 10 as both Chellini and Bonucci are superb. Same with Godin.

The Rosk
    Ronaldo won the Euros and the Champions League. Give the poor fucker a break lads.

RFF WORLDWIDE WESTERN CON son_of_foley's Avatar
    Letting the POTTY go to his head since Jan 2010
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Messi has also genuinely not quite been at his usual level this year

Andy
    Yeah, Ronaldo won the two biggest trophies available in 2016. I think Messi has more talent and will go down in history as better, but you can't deny Ronaldo had a better year.

Similarly Griezmann was fant astic at the Euros. Then again, so was Bale.

For me there's quite a gap between the top 5 and the rest. Top 5 I would have as:

1. Ronaldo
    2. Messi
    3. Suarez
    4. Bale
    5. Neymar

Then you have a ton of guys all in with a shout of rounding off the top 10: Greizmann, Aguero, Godin, Neuer, Buffon, Boateng, Ozil, Higuain, Sanchez, Ibrahimovic, Bonucci, De Bruyne to name a few.

Andy
    Can someone explain Dele Alli to me? This isn't a Spurs thing, I just don't get the hype. Hearing a load of pundits saying he's better than Pogba, such an exciting young talent etc. I watched some of the game yesterday and he just seemed to be playing as a striker from deep. Doesn't seem to offer much other than finding space and getting shots off. Maybe he's just in bad form.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Can someone explain Dele Alli to me? This isn't a Spurs thing, I just don't get the hype. Hearing a load of pundits saying he's better than Pogba, such an exciting young talent etc. I watched some of the game yesterday and he just seemed to be playing as a striker from deep. Doesn't seem to offer much other than finding space and getting shots off. Maybe he's just in bad form.
    He's the opposite of Pogba. Pogba looks lovely with his slick manipulation of the ball, long balls and the way he glides across the pitch, but barely has any impact on games a lot of the time - whereas Alli often looks a pretty average player but consistently weighs in with goals and assists. There have been times where his overall play has been pretty crap, but he impacts games so often that you can't really fault him too much.

For what it's worth I think he's slightly overrated even given what I've said, I don't think he's quite the second coming some people think he is, and at times I have been as confused as you because he often doesn't look particularly good in any specific area, but he's clearly a very good player - you don't impact games as often as he does, at such a young age, without having something about you. He's quite a strange one in that often he looks like he's doing quite aimless, even brainless ,things only for them to turn out to be more intelligent than you (I) realised - one in particular he does regularly is jogging with the ball towards the corner flag seemingly aimlessly, when he has an opportunity to take his man on running towards goal...then as soon as a tackle comes in from the defender, who now thinks he has Alli boxed in, he skates away towards goal anyway, with the defender out of the game. Forgive the cliche, but he has a bit of the street footballer about him in that he doesn't do things the way you expect them to be done, but however he does it it generally works.

Last night is a weird example to use if you've decided he's not much good though - he scored one fantastic goal and, but for better finishing (which is usually one of his strong points) he'd have had three or four thanks to his superb movement.
    Last edited by Simon; December 8th, 2016 at 2:30 PM.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd have Ronaldo ahead of Messi in my team every single time.

Would prefer them both obviously...

Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    He's the opposite of Pogba. Pogba looks lovely with his slick manipulation of the ball, long balls and the way he glides across the pitch, but barely has any impact on games a lot of the time - whereas Alli often looks a pretty average player but consistently weighs in with goals and assists. There have been times where his overall play has been pretty crap, but he impacts games so often that you can't really fault him too much.

For what it's worth I think he's slightly overrated even given what I've said, I don't think he's quite the second coming some people think he is, and at times I have been as confused as you because he often doesn't look particularly good in any specific area, but he's clearly a very good player - you don't impact games as often as he does, at such a young age, without having something about you. He's quite a strange one in that often he looks like he's doing quite aimless, even brainless ,things only for them to turn out to be more intelligent than you (I) realised - one in particular he does regularly is jogging with the ball towards the corner flag seemingly aimlessly, when he has an opportunity to take his man on running towards goal...then as soon as a tackle comes in from the defender, who now thinks he has Alli boxed in, he skates away towards goal anyway, with the defender out of the game. Forgive the cliche, but he has a bit of the street footballer about him in that he doesn't do things the way you expect them to be done, but however he does it it generally works.

Last night is a weird example to use if you've decided he's not much good though - he scored one fantastic goal and, but for better finishing (which is usually one of his strong points) he'd have had three or four thanks to his superb movement.
    Yeah, I only used the Pogba example because that's the one being used in the media for whatever reason. Is his position at the moment basically just a forward arriving from deep? The point I made about last night is exactly what you just confirmed - that he did well in finding space to get shots off but didn't seem to offer much else.

Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    I'd have Ronaldo ahead of Messi in my team every single time.

Would prefer them both obviously...
    Why? Not saying you're wrong, just interested in your logic. Ronaldo has obviously had the more successful year this year but when I compare the two I can't think of a single thing that you'd say Ronaldo has over Messi. Maybe ability in the air but even then we've seen when Barca actually do cross a ball towards him he's excellent in the air too. In the past I'd have said there were lots of things they were equally good at but with Ronaldo ageing I can't think of a single thing he does better than Messi.

EDIT: Pens, definitely take Ronaldo for pens.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alli for me has great movement and is very strong and direct but his finishing is actually pretty weak for me. Misses a lot. When that clicks and it will he will score 25+. New Frank lampard

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ronaldo is not a team player and has terrible tantrums when things dont go his way.

Add the fact that Ronaldo is aging and is not actually as good a footballer as Messi, it is cut and dry.

Heres one:- who out of the others has the potential to reach their level?

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why? Not saying you're wrong, just interested in your logic. Ronaldo has obviously had the more successful year this year but when I compare the two I can't think of a single thing that you'd say Ronaldo has over Messi. Maybe ability in the air but even then we've seen when Barca actually do cross a ball towards him he's excellent in the air too. In the past I'd have said there were lots of things they were equally good at but with Ronaldo ageing I can't think of a single thing he does better than Messi.

EDIT: Pens, definitely take Ronaldo for pens.
    I just think he is more dynamic. I dont buy this team player thing at all either. He gets stroppy because he is a born winner. Messi has always had better players around him too I reckon.

He is a top bloke on the sly too Ronaldo. The image that gets painted of him is laughable at times.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Romford Pele View Post

Add the fact that Ronaldo is aging and is not actually as good a footballer as Messi
    What does that even mean? They are different types of player. Lee Trundle was a brilliant "footballer".

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah but you just referenced him being a good bloke mate so tenuous is as tenuous does

Andy
    Ronaldo is not a team player and has terrible tantrums when things dont go his way.

Add the fact that Ronaldo is aging and is not actually as good a footballer as Messi, it is cut and dry.

Only Neymar I reckon, of the top players at the moment. Suarez is absolutely superb but I think has peaked just a level below them. Same with Bale to a lesser extent.

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    I just think he is more dynamic. I dont buy this team player thing at all either. He gets stroppy because he is a born winner. Messi has always had better players around him too I reckon.

He is a top bloke on the sly too Ronaldo. The image that gets painted of him is laughable at times.
    I agree with all of that but for me it still doesn't change the fact that Messi is individually better at so many things.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No Defoe, no credibility.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Messi hasn't been his usual standard, however if the stats on messivsronaldo.net are to be believed Messi is winning. Euros and Champions League probably were the edge.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with all of that but for me it still doesn't change the fact that Messi is individually better at so many things.
    I just think you could drop Ronaldo into any team in the world and you would get the same results.

Messi I am not so sure about. There is nothing to base that off I suppose.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad our generation have some footballers to argue over. Maradonna vs Pele is a bit old hat.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember when people were debating Ronaldo v Reyes on here. Fucking hell.

Simon
    No one IMO. We've got two natural heirs in Neymar and Bale, but they're slight steps down. In basically any other era both of them would be worthy winners of the Ballon d'Or, but Messi and Ronaldo are freakishly good. Neymar already has 50 goals for Brazil at the age of 24 and is still improving so maybe he will be considered up there one day, but remember Messi was basically world class from the moment he came into the Barca side. Ronaldo obviously took a little longer so maybe there's someone already playing that will develop to that level.

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moussa Dembele of the famous Glasgow Celtic will be better than all these hasbeens.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder whether any of the well rated young players will make that step up to world class. Renato Sanches from what I have seen looks absolute class for someone who is only 19.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember when people were debating Ronaldo v Reyes on here. Fucking hell.
    I don't remember many neutrals going for Reyes, but I might be wrong.