Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: WWE Mae Young Classic

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I hear it's going to be 30 minutes and 205 Live is set to start at 10.30pm.

This is all rather concerning. It's going to be fought to the sound of crickets.
    Quote Originally Posted by greebull View Post
    According to the WWE Network schedule, they are running the MY Classic from 10PM-10:30PM ET and then 205 Live will get a full hour from 10:30-11:30.
    That sucks that it's only going to be 30 min. Are we getting another match besides the final?

YOUR NEXT ROH CHAMP... greebull's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasori View Post
    That sucks that it's only going to be 30 min. Are we getting another match besides the final?
    Nope, just one match, according to reports I've read... Sorry don't remember the exact source.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, Alpha Female/Kay Lee Ray/Tessa Blanchard v. Santana Garrett/Sarah Logan/Marti Belle. Also features a special guest commentator that I won't reveal unless it's already been spoken.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by greebull View Post
    Nope, just one match, according to reports I've read... Sorry don't remember the exact source.
    Interesting because Santana Garrett was on social media telling people to make sure they tune in for the finale to see her 6-woman tag match.

Award Winning Radishes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was the one after Raw last night, as her tweets said. It's on the network.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr McGregor View Post
    That was the one after Raw last night, as her tweets said. It's on the network.
    Good on her because when I read it I thought she was confused and meant to say Smackdown on her Instagram. Thanks for clearing that up, makes sense now.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why does it suck? It's only one match. Do you expect them to go 60 min? 5 minute hype before the match and 5 minute celebration after. 15-20 minutes is just fine for a finals considering no other match went over 15 in the tourney.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because the CWC Finals was a mini PPV and it was awesome.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You also have to remember it was at Full Sail and not in front of a huge crowd after Smackdown like this will be. The women are going to be wrestling in front of ten thousand people. Hardly sucks for them.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PurePlayer View Post
    You also have to remember it was at Full Sail and not in front of a huge crowd after Smackdown like this will be. The women are going to be wrestling in front of ten thousand people. Hardly sucks for them.
    But as a fan, not the performer, which last I checked most of us don't really factor in what a wrestling might think of something as often as we'd like to pretend, then maybe it does suck only having a half hour. Why are you taking Sasori saying 30 mins sucks as a negative? He wants more, what's wrong with having more? I'd rather have an hour MYC event and they could have cancelled the 205 Live show this week in favor of it.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, it's the safe route going with just the finals. As PP said, this is likely after a Smackdown taping that could be rather good so the crowd likely won't have a lot left in the tank. If it's a flat show, matches that don't mean anything won't likely help the cause. This isn't a knock, but the CWC had talent and production value. I think the MYC has production value and sometimes hit or miss talent in terms of match productivity. You know you'll get something out of the Finals unless it's a complete mess.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    But as a fan, not the performer, which last I checked most of us don't really factor in what a wrestling might think of something as often as we'd like to pretend, then maybe it does suck only having a half hour. Why are you taking Sasori saying 30 mins sucks as a negative? He wants more, what's wrong with having more? I'd rather have an hour MYC event and they could have cancelled the 205 Live show this week in favor of it.
    I just don't see the issue with giving a finals match 30 minutes after a Smackdown show? This isn't in front of 500 people. It's in front of 10 thousand, maybe more. You want them to sit through 30 minutes of video packages and hype before the match or a match with zero heat? I would venture of bet most of them end up leaving then. 30 minutes is a perfect amount of time here. I still don't see why a full 30 minutes is an issue whatsoever.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well...

Nash took the words out of my mouth. I just wanted more wrestling.

Quote Originally Posted by BGMaverick View Post
    Also, it's the safe route going with just the finals. As PP said, this is likely after a Smackdown taping that could be rather good so the crowd likely won't have a lot left in the tank. If it's a flat show, matches that don't mean anything won't likely help the cause. This isn't a knock, but the CWC had talent and production value. I think the MYC has production value and sometimes hit or miss talent in terms of match productivity. You know you'll get something out of the Finals unless it's a complete mess.
    This does seems like they're taking the safe route. Ever since they started 205 Live, they've got this chunk of time set aside after Smackdown to do a live show. Instead of giving the Women their own Special on another night, they make it easier for themselves by slapping in on after Smackdown. Hopefully the crowd is into it.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This does seems like they're taking the safe route. Ever since they started 205 Live, they've got this chunk of time set aside after Smackdown to do a live show. Instead of giving the Women their own Special on another night, they make it easier for themselves by slapping in on after Smackdown. Hopefully the crowd is into it.
    You are making it seem like a negative that these women get to perform in front of more people. If I was one of the talent in the finals, I would rather have the finals after Smackdown then an hour special at Full sail.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slapping in on after Smackdown seems like a slight. I don't see it as that. It's still an upgrade from being live to tape in Full Sail. It's a bigger audience and this is strictly for the two people in the match. The tapings were basically for everyone involved and some people got a rub along the way, but this is strictly for the finalists.

I'm not expecting a hot 30 minutes, but I'm guessing it's somewhere inbetween that and the most engaged audience 205 Live has ever had.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are making it seem like a negative that these women get to perform in front of more people. If I was one of the talent in the finals, I would rather have the finals after Smackdown then an hour special at Full sail.
    I think you're making it a bigger issue than it really is being made out to be. I personally agree, it sucks we only get 30 minutes when it could be something more. That's not taking away from the one argument you're sitting on, the people in the crowd. I'll say this, there are times where I bet there are wrestlers who wish they were wrestling in front of 5-600 rabid, engaging fans of all walks of life (peep the 2 senior citizens in the front row of the MYC to the little girl to the hot chick to the fat smark) than 8,000 fans where 7,980 of them are on the way out 15 minutes before SD's main event even starts. Obviously I'm being a smart ass but you get what I'm saying.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I think it's better to have the finals in front of 500 rabid fans than in front of 10,000 who could give mixed reactions. In the end, none of this really matters because it's on the Network and only a small number of people are going to be watching it. Unless there's dead silence, holding the finals in front of the Smackdown crowd shouldn't effect the quality of the match.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. Both women have performed in front of larger crowds than Full Sail and tonight. Personally, I would have put the finals on Smackdown. Ronda Rousey is going to be there, and while I'm not 100% sure her drawing power is even a 10th of what it used to be especially in the wrestling bubble, she's still a name that might draw people in who are just fans of Rousey, not fans of MMA, wrestling, but fans of Ronda Rousey. Even if she's just in the crowd. They could even leak that picture of the 2 Horsewomen factions giving each other the evil eye haha.

And again, this isn't a slight against the decision they went with, just us freestyling what we might have preferred.

Jobber
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time zone difference. It will only be 7pm there. I expect them to maintain attendance.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Hall View Post
    Time zone difference. It will only be 7pm there. I expect them to maintain attendance.
    It's not like this is the first time they've done a show outside the Eastern Time Zone though. My comment isn't so much about them being there forever I just mean that going by a ton of fan reports over X amount of time is that generally people are leaving during the main event. This is true for shows in Cali, Iowa, Michigan, and everywhere else. Not every show but a lot of them. Just watch 205 Live, you can see the difference.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not like this is the first time they've done a show outside the Eastern Time Zone though. My comment isn't so much about them being there forever I just mean that going by a ton of fan reports over X amount of time is that generally people are leaving during the main event. This is true for shows in Cali, Iowa, Michigan, and everywhere else. Not every show but a lot of them. Just watch 205 Live, you can see the difference.
    Well, that puts the onus on Vince to structure Smackdown well. The participants in last night's main event, most of them, are extremely over but that basically felt like a glorified house show match.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is true. But I can see why they decided to hold the Mae Young finals on the west coast. It makes a lot of sense.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is true. But I can see why they decided to hold the Mae Young finals on the west coast. It makes a lot of sense.
    In hopes that people will stay because it's a show not getting over at 1030? I can definitely see that being a reason.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMG that kick from Shayna.

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Surprised they didn't announce this for the NXT title. Good stuff so far.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Awesome. Was worried this was all gonna be a way to further the horsewomen factions. Sane is great. Can't wait for Sane vs Asuka.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad things went so smoothly. They had a great match and the crowd was hot

We haven’t become anything — we simply are as we are
    Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    Brilliant. Really great storytelling there. Best match for Baszler.

What else can be said about Sane? Great work in this tournament and super happy for her. She should be the next huge female star if the writers don't fuck it up

Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    I'm glad things went so smoothly. They had a great match and the crowd was hot
    This is probably the thing I was happiest about. Really great hearing them really get into it

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdestiny View Post
    Brilliant. Really great storytelling there. Best match for Baszler.

What else can be said about Sane? Great work in this tournament and super happy for her. She should be the next huge female star if the writers don't fuck it up
    She should do fine in NXT, but no idea how she'll fair on the main roster. We'll have to see how they handle Asuka.

Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    She's got more of an underdog feel to her. Hopefully she can get the crowd behind her with that.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sane > Bayley and Sasha

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really liked the presentation last night. I was going into the match kind of curious how they would book it if Sane was going to win. I thought they did a nice job with it. Felt like they got over with the crowd as the match progressed, which is a really great sign. The match quality over the tournament was kind of hit or miss in portions, but I thought the tournament as a whole was really enjoyable.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    That was a great match last night. I was a little worried how it would go and how they would book it but I thought they both did a great job. As someone said the crowd was hot for the match. It was really fun to watch.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did like how the crowd was a little burned out from watching Vince get killed and so this match had to wake them up and they did just that. That's very hard to do in the WWE environment. The crowd more often than not can be very pre-match judgmental where if they automatically think it's going to suck they just sit on their hands. If they think it's going to be great, they're hot from the jump. Last night those 2 women went out and put on a performance. Very good work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to nitpick (maybe a little), but Sane taunts just a bit too long setting up her stuff for my taste, after some pretty minor set-up moves. It hurts the illusion a little bit when her opponent has to lay there selling for long periods of time. I like her work. I just wish she would speed it up a bit. Toni Storm had to sell a standing elbow drop while she taunted in the ring, then on the apron, then again before climbing the ropes, and then again on the top rope. She finally dropped the elbow like thirty seconds later. She wasn't bad about it last night, but it was pretty glaring in the previous rounds.

Overall, they were great last night and the crowd was a lot better than I expected.

Go to DMC! Go to DMC! Saintevil's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone know if Toni Storm, Piper Niven or Mercedes Martinez are actually signed to WWE deals?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    That intro from Lilian.

That was lovely though. Can't fault the final at all. Well done WWE for not fucking it up. Less shots of Ronda at ringside too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saintevil View Post
    Anyone know if Toni Storm, Piper Niven or Mercedes Martinez are actually signed to WWE deals?
    I think I may have seen Toni Storm on the stage during the farewell to Asuka last week on NXT I did see Kari Saine, Bianca Bel Air and Dakota Kai, im sure most of them will get signed they are pretty awesome.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    The women's division on NXT should be about to get bloody good.

Award Winning Radishes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When they originally announced this tournament I was skeptical that they would try to put over their pure performance centre trained NXT signees, so it was cool to see only Lacey Evans and Bianca Bel Air went over in the first round. I thought Reina Gonzalez was the only bad one from this bunch, very clunky and static. The other 3 were pretty good by PC standards IMO.

I think of the 20 unsigned indie girls from the tournament, it's only Marti Belle I have really no interest in seeing again. Big YES to Tessa Blanchard, Piper Niven, Jazzy Gabert, Kay Lee Ray, Dakota Kai, Shayna Baszler, and Mia Yim. Loved everything about these ladies. Mercedes Martinez had really won me over by her third match. It's just Toni Storm I can't get behind. She's technically good in the ring, nothing super-outstanding as hyped but not terrible. Everything else about her, the look and the attitude, I personally just find off-putting and obnoxious, and not in the intended reaction to a kayfabe character kind of way. Then again, I initially had a similar aversion to Chris Jericho. At least he didn't wear a STUPID FUCKING MINI-HAT.

Other major love for Abbey Laith and Kairi Sane, but that one goes without saying. Very exciting prospects all-round from this.
    Last edited by Mr McGregor; September 14th, 2017 at 8:08 AM. Reason: Maths

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    That Sane girl is lucky she weights 100 pounds or so, I think her hip would've been shattered by now from that Insane elbow drop otherwise. As a Randy Savage mark I'm glad to have two great elbow drop finishers, one female version via Kairi Sane and one (sort of) male version via Velveteen Dream.

Didn't watch the MYC (had the finals spoilered via mmafighting.com) but caught the finals and it was pretty good, see some great potential in both ladies. Sane is kind of a tiny, high flying underdog ala Rey Mysterio I guess.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Main page says they scrapped the Horsewoman angle for now to let Sane have her moment.

Good move.
    Last edited by Badger; September 16th, 2017 at 7:15 AM.

Award Winning Radishes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love how she throws her legs up mid-air, it makes it look like gravity's pulling her down from a greater height sort of thing. Not keen on the name though.

And to think a few months ago we were concerned when it was alleged that they didn't want her to do it because Bayley was using an elbow.

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the "news" was that they would have Bayley ditch the move because Kairi used it, not the other way around.

Watched the finale last night with the wife. Great show. Loved how they presented it and loved that the crowd was into it, especially after sitting through SD prior. If I had one complaint, it's that I thought the match was a bit too short and could have benefited from another few minutes. Just felt like it could have gone up a notch higher than it did. Also, I'm not overly keen on the thing where the opponent works over the body part that's used for the finisher and then they hit their finisher to win anyway. Having said that, it was still very good regardless. Love how Baszler was built up as Lady Lesnar. And Sane is just perfection, as I've said before.

What I found odd was that they showed Asuka in the crowd next two the WWE Horsewomen and didn't acknowledge her whatsoever. Almost like they weren't supposed to catch her on camera.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Reminds me of SD when they showed Dana after DZ's 'tribute', I don't think that was planned

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    I thought the "news" was that they would have Bayley ditch the move because Kairi used it, not the other way around.

Watched the finale last night with the wife. Great show. Loved how they presented it and loved that the crowd was into it, especially after sitting through SD prior. If I had one complaint, it's that I thought the match was a bit too short and could have benefited from another few minutes. Just felt like it could have gone up a notch higher than it did. Also, I'm not overly keen on the thing where the opponent works over the body part that's used for the finisher and then they hit their finisher to win anyway. Having said that, it was still very good regardless. Love how Baszler was built up as Lady Lesnar. And Sane is just perfection, as I've said before.

What I found odd was that they showed Asuka in the crowd next two the WWE Horsewomen and didn't acknowledge her whatsoever. Almost like they weren't supposed to catch her on camera.
    haha yeah it was almost like wait a minute that's not Sasha Banks.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    Reminds me of SD when they showed Dana after DZ's 'tribute', I don't think that was planned
    Really? I thought that it was planned in a way to show the disgust Dana had toward Dolph doing it. And I"ll admit the other day I took it a step further thinking she probably was shooting from the hip with her tweet toward Dolph but the more I think of it I'm sure of 1 of 2 things after watching SD this weekend. Either she knew what was going to happen and is playing it up, or they didn't tell her so they could get a natural reaction out of her.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    I think the second option is the most likely.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So who wants to take bets on signees? Wonderful news about Baszler. I saw it coming, but it would have been an outright shame to leave her off the roster. A good number of the tournament participants were already signed. Xia Li, Abbey Laith, Bianca Belair, Dakota Kai, Lacey Evans, Reina Gonzalez, Rhea Ripley, Sage Beckett, Sarah Logan, Taynara Conti, Vanessa Bourne, and Zeda(Damn). So I don't know if they have much more room to sign more than maybe four more. I bet they end up going with Piper and Candice for sure, but I can see Mia Yim and Mercedes Martinez being a priority. I would love Toni Storm, but I get the sneaky feeling she was tournament-exclusive. Jazzy Gabert needs to be seriously looked at.

I'm predicting Piper, Candice, and Gabert for sure as sooner signings, but I can see the other three getting contracts a few years later.

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They better sign Jazzy or I'm putting together a crew to storm Stamford...

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regardless if they're already in the NXT pipeline:
    Belair
    LaRae
    Kai
    Gabert
    Sane
    Evans
    Martinez
    Yim
    Niven
    Evers
    Ripley
    Deeb
    Baszler
    Blanchard
    Storm

Clearly that's too many, haha.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    They better sign Jazzy or I'm putting together a crew to storm Stamford...
    Pretty sure she was already signed before the MYC finished. I remember Meltzer mentioning her name when he went through who was signed.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BGMaverick View Post
    Regardless if they're already in the NXT pipeline:
    Belair
    LaRae
    Kai
    Gabert
    Sane
    Evans
    Martinez
    Yim
    Niven
    Evers
    Ripley
    Deeb
    Baszler
    Blanchard
    Storm

Clearly that's too many, haha.
    I don't think so. I missed this post but I made a comment in the Women's thread that they should be looking to beef up the main roster if they want to have tag-team titles or just to get some fresh faces in the mix. Weed out the garbage in both NXT and WWE. I'm sorry Liv Morgan but you're just not good, at all, probably because you're too busy worrying about doing it for the grams. But you look at that last and the WWE are definitely not shy about snatching up talent to prevent other promotions from having really really good wrestlers.

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty sure she was already signed before the MYC finished. I remember Meltzer mentioning her name when he went through who was signed.
    Yeah, i just saw a blurb on Jazzy's wikipedia article that said she was signed but it was basically someone plugging a youtube channel or something while mentioning Meltzer saying it, so i was skeptical. Would be curious what that list is, though.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think so. I missed this post but I made a comment in the Women's thread that they should be looking to beef up the main roster if they want to have tag-team titles or just to get some fresh faces in the mix. Weed out the garbage in both NXT and WWE. I'm sorry Liv Morgan but you're just not good, at all, probably because you're too busy worrying about doing it for the grams. But you look at that last and the WWE are definitely not shy about snatching up talent to prevent other promotions from having really really good wrestlers.
    Liv never impressed me. Her Gal Pal, Peyton Royce, is much better.