User Tag List

Thread: Doctor Strange

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doctor Strange

A new trailer has dropped at Comic-Con. I'm really looking forward to this now. Great cast, trippy visuals and like Ant-Man it feels like something a bit different to the standard Marvel template. Cumberbatch should be great.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy shit. LOVE all the trippy world-bending visuals. This looks very interesting.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    yes please.
    TAPS AFF!

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really stoked that this movie seems to be doing what I was expecting from Inception and only sort of got.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is going to rock so hard. Lots of positive buzz on Twitter from those who have seen it - the visual effects and the score being heavily praised - and the review embargo lifts on Monday.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    Going to see this tonight, might even go see it in 3D. Listening to the soundtrack just now.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My sister is in this by the way. She plays the scrub nurse with the sparkly earrings. HOLLYWOOD.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlon Dingle View Post
    Going to see this tonight, might even go see it in 3D. Listening to the soundtrack just now.
    See it in 3D. I'm absolutely positive it would be better as it's the visual feast everyone expected.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by BBF View Post
    My sister is in this by the way. She plays the scrub nurse with the sparkly earrings. HOLLYWOOD.
    Thought I recognised her! First time I've seen her without Gary J hanging out the back of her so was a bit jarring...

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fucking hell its been a while since a Gary J sister joke. Nostalgia lad, nostalgia.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    Really solid film. I feel like all the recent Marvel films are solid 8/10. With maybe Guardians of the Galaxy being the best one.

The trippy sequences are really good and worth the price of admission alone. I felt like Rachel McAdams was criminally underused.

Cumberbatch looks like he had lots of fun with the role, and it will be interesting to see how he interacts with some of the other superheroes in future movies.

Thor 2 spoilers as well as Doctor Strange spoilers:

dude it's iron man.. man
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good film

Last edited by mr sabu; October 28th, 2016 at 7:51 AM.

Defiance is a four letter
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw it on Tuesday, quite a difficult film to judge.

Structure wise it is pretty weak. It's your bog standard origin story with all the cliches that come with it, yet another incredibly weak throwaway villain and isn't as gripping or funny as any of the recent Marvel efforts.

But fuck me, you spend half the film watching with your jaw resting on the floor wondering if the staff have slipped something into your bathtub of coke. It is visually incredible. Add to that some great character acting - hardly a surprise given who's involved - and implications of what's to come and it's a film, despite it's flaws, I highly recommend seeing.

Special mention to Tilda Swinton who steals every scene she's in like a master thief.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I'd agree with JP. Apart from to mention how odd it is to see some spectacular CGI alongside some really ropey CGI in the same film.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Yeah I'd agree with JP. Apart from to mention how odd it is to see some spectacular CGI alongside some really ropey CGI in the same film.
    Not only in the same film but occasionally in the same scene. During the battle in the Mirror Dimension the scenery the background shifting constantly looked amazing and yet Strange looked not dissimilar to how the Hulk did in Norton's outing, very cartoony with little to no weight.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They really struggled with the heft and weight of the visual effects. Especially when they were doing the world spinning zero gravity stuff, the green screen and compositing use was not convincing at all there. I enjoyed the film, but it really merits absolutely no comparison to a film like inception whatsoever.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    JP or Mik did you see the film in 2d or 3D?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2D for me.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same, 2D.

I'm a bit Kermode on 3D.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    This movie was fucking awesome. I saw it in 3D and while it didn't add a whole lot I also don't regret it.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoyed this. Fantastic visuals throughout, but definitely some inconsistencies as others have mentioned above. It was a pretty standard origin story and the humour felt a little restrained at times. The cape was the standout in that department. Maybe I wasn't blown away because it feels like a retreat to safer territory (grippy visuals aside) for Marvel, after the way the Russos introduced Black Panther AND Spider-Man so smoothly in a single film. But I liked the way they handled the third act, as it was heading towards epic fight with a big thing in the sky as we've seen countless times.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    I listened to an interview with the director where he states that the events of this film are suppose to take over the course of a year. (Starting in October 2016 and ending in October-November 2017).

I don't understand how that is at all possible, especially when there is a line about taking years of practice to become capable of controlling the extra dimensions.

Sounds like they have screwed up the timeline a bit in the MCU. Would have been good to have the start of the film set 8 years ago, around the time Tony Stark is taken hostage in Iron Man 1.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlon Dingle View Post
    Really solid film. I feel like all the recent Marvel films are solid 8/10. With maybe Guardians of the Galaxy being the best one.

The trippy sequences are really good and worth the price of admission alone. I felt like Rachel McAdams was criminally underused.

Cumberbatch looks like he had lots of fun with the role, and it will be interesting to see how he interacts with some of the other superheroes in future movies.

Thor 2 spoilers as well as Doctor Strange spoilers:
    Spoiler Answer:

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This poster is pretty rad. I hope this movie delivers. Expectations are high.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I can't wait. I need to check into tickets. I will probably go Saturday of opening weekend in the afternoon to avoid crowds and cheaper prices.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first trailer for ‘AVATAR 2’ will be released exclusively in theaters with Multiverse Of Madness next week. It will then be released online a week after that.

Cool.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy to report that I LOVED it. Wanda is amazing. Go see this in a packed theater if you can. Best of phase 4 so far.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some NON-SPOILERY comments:

This movie utilized the multiverse properly, as opposed to No Way Home which used it in a very cheap way and had a shite plot IMO. The story here was really solid. I'm not at all an expert on Sam Raimi movies but people are saying his fingerprints are all over this. I will just say it had some well-done horror elements and was fairly violent for a PG-13 comic movie. Some younger kids might be walking out of it a little shook.

It wasn't a perfect movie. There were some dialogue bits that were a little cheesy. There was one fight scene that was quite odd and fans seem to be divided on whether it was great or lame. But I loved the ride and it's probably an A-tier MCU movie for me. Some people are saying it should have been longer to flesh out some of the story but I liked the 2 hour runtime. It has a healthy pace.

I won't reveal anything about Wanda except to reiterate that she was the MVP of this movie and I really loved Elizabeth Olsen's performance and where they took the character. If you liked WandaVision, I think you'll like this too.

The new character played by young actress Xochitl Gomez was a solid addition to the MCU roster - I liked her a lot.

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    That fight scene was lame.

Still a good movie, but while they handled certain elements better I do not think it was better than NWH.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
    That fight scene was lame.

Still a good movie, but while they handled certain elements better I do not think it was better than NWH.
    I agree it was lame, and it seemed to come out of nowhere. I was thinking "why is this happening??"

Perhaps I'll come to grips with the plot of NWH a little more upon re-watch. It was all so ridiculous and Doctor Strange came off incompetent and irresponsible, even though it led to some truly lovely fan service which was undeniably enjoyable.

Significant MoM spoilers now:

Last edited by Fro; May 7th, 2022 at 9:32 PM.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Overall enjoyed the movie. Not one of my top MCU movies but still a good movie none the less. A lot of the complaints I have seen are from people that it was too much like a horror film and they understand why that is so due to Raimi. They just didn't like it because it was not the typical MCU movie they are used to. Again I liked it but not one of my tops. Not itching to see it again. I did like the cameos and want to see where things go from here.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that was fun as hell. I don't think i was as sucked into the plot as much as I was just into it for the wierdness and hope of cameos but I did enjoy the stuff with Wanda and her arc through it. The Raimi touch was good, loved the horror aspects as well as the surprising violence. The cameos were pretty rad and I popped hard for a couple of them (and had one spoiled thanks to a goddamn YouTube thumbnail). Really like America Chavez, as well. I would have liked if they spent some more time in other universes, maybe see a few characters from other realities, but you also don't want the film to get too bloated and you'd need storyline reasons to do it and whatnot, so whatever. Overall, it was quite good but i wouldn't put it too high on the overall list.