User Tag List

Thread: Are there any big returns left to anticipate?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are there any big returns left to anticipate?

We've seen Batista and Brock Lesnar return to WWE most recently, and these guys are legit and have name value. Can we see more down the line? Are there any left at this point? When I say big name guys who made noise during their run, former World Champions. Let's analyze:

Goldberg
    - Not that I'm a fan or anything but he seems to be one of the very few big names left to yet ever make a comeback I find this quite strange, but I don't have all the details as to why he left in the first place.

Kurt Angle
    - It's quite astonishing how long it's been since Angle wrestled in the WWE, I mean 2006 feels like a long time ago and he should definitely have his last run in the WWE.

Stone Cold Steve Austin
    - This one is likely to never happen, but I thought he'd still be worth a mention, due to being a big name and such.

CM Punk
    - I was one of those butthurt people, because I believed he could've gotten his moment in 2015, and it's just insane how he went out. I guess in time Punk may return at some point right?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    2006 was a long time ago.
    TAPS AFF!

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Goldberg is past the point where it would make sense to bring him in. WWE is never going to let Kurt Angle wrestle for them. Austin is 100% never wrestling again.

I think there's about a 90% chance Punk wrestles again, but I don't know that it will be for WWE. Once he's done with UFC someone is going to throw a lot of money at him to wrestle for them. Could be New Japan, could be some random promoter trying to get their company going. He doesn't ever have to go back to WWE, and I'm not sure he will bury the hatchet with them.

Rock will probably wrestle at least once more. Doesn't seem like Batista has any interest in coming back. That's about it for legends, I don't think there's any way that Shawn Michaels ever wrestles again.

I wouldn't 100% rule out Bryan wrestling again, but it almost certainly won't be for WWE.

I'm Spinning Around! sam_elmendorf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HBK got back into shape for that little run in this year. Even though it wasn't a real match, he worked his ass off to get back in HBK shape, I could see him doing it again. If it's not a sanctioned match, it's not really coming out of retirement, right?

Rush
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking about something the other day. Are people going to anticipate big returns from wrestlers in the current era like we do with performers from the attitude era or even the Rock n Wrestling era? Cena and Orton I could certainly see generating a big buzz but outside of those guys I don't think so.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Angle would be great.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mysterio coming back for one more match could be a big deal if built up well.

As for Punk, anytime I’ve heard him speak about a WWE return he is very careful not to flat out rule it out. He accepts that he could end up looking like a hypocrite one day, he just tends to say that if he still feels like he does right now in future it wont happen. Also I do get the impression that he truly believes he has achieved everything he set out to achieve in wrestling and that he would prefer to do something new than repeat his past accomplishments. He loves a range of American sports and is really into comic books, if a movie/tv role in a comic book movie came about I could see him trying that before he returned to WWE.

I don't know the guy though and I recognize others know more about his feelings towards the WWE than me so I may be way off the mark, one thing is for sure, if he was offered big money and did agree to return it would be a big deal!

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love to see a final Kurt angle run. He could work a part-time schedule or do Jericho-esque short bursts. The big hurdle is him passing the wellness test, but hell, one of the greatest of all time. He needs a grand departure and send-off.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    HHH
    TAPS AFF!

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJH1986 View Post
    As for Punk, anytime I’ve heard him speak about a WWE return he is very careful not to flat out rule it out. He accepts that he could end up looking like a hypocrite one day, he just tends to say that if he still feels like he does right now in future it wont happen. Also I do get the impression that he truly believes he has achieved everything he set out to achieve in wrestling and that he would prefer to do something new than repeat his past accomplishments.
    Except headline a Wrestlemania, which I think is part of the reason he got angry (outside the health stuff obviously).

I don't expect Punk to ever return, but if he did, he could very likely headline Mania in his return bout. That would be pretty ironic because he used to complain about the part-timers stealing spots (and rightfully so), but his best chance of headlining Mania would be as a part-timer return.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    I'd love to see a final Kurt angle run. He could work a part-time schedule or do Jericho-esque short bursts. The big hurdle is him passing the wellness test, but hell, one of the greatest of all time. He needs a grand departure and send-off.
    I'd so happy with a token surprise Rumble appearance. He wouldn't have to take any bumps in the match. If I were booking I'd have Rusev clear out the ring early, and then Angle shows up to eliminate him. Angle sticks around for a few more entrants, and Rusev does a run in to cause Angle's elimination. Then, after a while, he may be able to put on the handful of matches you'd want to put out there. But his personality is one that can be used on TV in that non-wrestling spot.