User Tag List

Thread: Master of None

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Master of None

New show from Aziz Ansari and the writer for Parks & Recreation, released on Netflix all at once on 6th November.

The series was created by Aziz Ansari and Alan Yang, and stars Ansari in the lead role of Dev, a 30-year-old actor who attempts to make his way through life in New York City
    It's receiving great reviews.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-ra...f-none-netflix

http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/6/96...review-netflix

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...-none-season-1

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/master-...portray-227952

http://variety.com/2015/scene/vpage/...re-1201635440/

Anyone else seen it?

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, is it good? I've been hearing all the good buzz and will definitely check it out soon.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Few episodes in and it's very good. Worth watching for sure.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I just finished the season this morning, I think it's great. I'm a huge Aziz fan, and he delivers a rather thought provoking comedy. His parents were great, and Eric from Tim&Eric is awesome as well. Noel Wells gives a surprisingly well rounded performance (I wasn't a fan of her work on SNL)

A must watch.

Once more unto the breach Pipkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hadn't heard anything about this until I saw it yesterday. I watched the first half or so of the season and I love it.

The Thinking Man's Idiot Simmo Fortyone's Avatar
    Andre giant once eat kid hot dog at arena. He then laugh. I never forgive that fat motherfucker for that
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched the first episode yesterday. Quite good, but the pacing was really strange - felt like it started slow, then sped up a bunch and then the episode just ended. Still keen to watch the rest though.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Just watched him on Jimmy Fallon, didn't inspire confidence.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This really finds its feet in the 3rd and 4th episode. It's not laugh out loud funny, but it's still very good.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I found myself laughing out loud quite a bit. I don't know why, but

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeSplitter View Post
    I found myself laughing out loud quite a bit. I don't know why, but
    Absolutely. There are moments of real stupidity, just inane dialogue that is so cleverly scripted.

Not so keen on Aziz himself as an actor though. Feels a little forced. Any scene with a girl and he has to put on his nice-guy persona just seems over-acted a bit. Maybe I'm not used to seeing such an upbeat character on TV.

Episode 4, "Indians on TV", has easily been the stand-out episode so far.

Simon
    Looking forward to getting cracking on this, I love Aziz Ansari. Apparently it is very similar to Louie?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess, in that it's set in NYC and it's without a laughter track. It's not quite as stylish as Louie, and I'd argue it's more accessible as a series.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Not my cup of tea.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Did like that Aphex Twin was played in the first episode though.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched episode 1. Really enjoyed it. Definitely reminds me of Louie in terms of format (though it felt more upbeat). It's great that comedians have the complete artistic freedom (and budget) to make shows like this now.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just finished watching ep 2, and thoroughly enjoying it. Has a real different kind of vibe. :yes;

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    Does anyone else wish 'The Sickening' was a real movie?

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bashed through these in the past 2 days whilst working. Really enjoyed it, always been a fan of Aziz and I've got a little crush on Noel Wells.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    It's weirdly similar to that bbc 3 thing Josh.

Who watches the... Dodgy Browne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched Nashville episode yesterday. This show keep getting better and better.
    Nashville felt like a short romantic comedy movie. I rarely watch those, but this was ace.
    It wasn't haha humour, but still cleverly written. It's so different from most comedies, it's really refreshing.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah i dont think i laughed out loud once in the whole series but I enjoyed it more than almost anything ive seen this year.

The Stale Smell of Excess Jimmy Zero's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 3 episodes in. I'm really enjoying it.

The only problem I'm having, so far, is separating Aziz from Tom Haverford.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Zero View Post
    I'm 3 episodes in. I'm really enjoying it.

The only problem I'm having, so far, is separating Aziz from Tom Haverford.
    I totally get this. His attitude/character is so similar that I just kept thinking of him as Tom. Though, Dev has more sense and self respect than Tom Haverford, so that's a big divide.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Plus...he actually is far more successful with women.

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    The tough one for me was separating Benjamin from Archer...or Bob.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Just netflixed the fuck out of this. Pretty good. Liked how each episode had its own style.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really enjoyed every episode except for the finale. Every other episode felt very thoughtful and real, the last episode felt like a by the numbers sitcom cliche that you might see on Thursday nights on broadcast television.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Season 2 is out now on Netflix. I haven't started it yet but I just re-watched the S1 finale to remind myself where we left off. I also got reminded of just how great this show is. Honestly might be the best comedic show going.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, shit! I didn't know they were doing a Season 2. I'll definitely be loading that up soon.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3 episodes in and it's still a delightful show but I'm not digging it quite as much as szn 1. The first 2 episodes are in Italy.

Aziz's parents are still the best.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6 episodes in and I really dig it. I think the formula switch-ups in the episodes are a little more frequent, and I think some of the points made through the theme of each episode have been deeper. It's a completely relatable show for our generation. I was a big fan of the dating app episode. Just the way that episode was structured was pretty brilliant. It was like a dating montage that you'd see in a movie, but for an entire episode. Especially like the varying stages of the date and the filtering by who Dev got farther into the date with.

I think I actually like it more than the first season so far, but I've only watched it once.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I blew through Season 2 this weekend. Funnily enough, I have the same thoughts on it as I did on Season 1. I enjoyed pretty much every episode quite a bit except for the finale. It wasn't as bad as I thought the first season finale was, but I found it fairly unsatisfying.

Overall, though, I'd say Season 2 is a considerable step above Season 1.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    finished season 2 finally and I think it's possibly the best show on television. outstanding. the writing, the directing, francesca. wonderful drama interwoven with spot on humor.

the Thanksgiving episode and the episode after it which was the double-long story of Dev and Francesca... these episodes are so different from one another yet I feel like they should both be award winning shorts. Aziz is so good at this.

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    finished season 2 finally and I think it's possibly the best show on television. outstanding. the writing, the directing, francesca. wonderful drama interwoven with spot on humor.

the Thanksgiving episode and the episode after it which was the double-long story of Dev and Francesca... these episodes are so different from one another yet I feel like they should both be award winning shorts. Aziz is so good at this.
    i've caught bits and pieces of this season as my wife watches. caught the thanksgiving and italian romance short film episodes in full a few hours ago. thanksgiving one is great. the italian-centric one is by all means very good, but is such well-trodden ground that i'm surprised aziz can even climb out the pothole. bunch of funny bits, incredibly well acted, great direction, but so was 500 days of summer and garden state. the hopeless nice guy pining over the manic pixie dream girl who loves quirky shit like trips to duane reade. but in the end, i can't say it wasn't a totally enjoyable episode of television, and fuck who am i to snipe at or deny a non-derpy white male the pleasure of indulging in the fantasy.

on mildly related note, my wife is a therapist and is working with an married italian woman and apparently both her and her italian husband have had these periods of building a deep, meaningful connection and relationship with an outside love interest that only ever verges on the edge of infidelity. so thumbs up for that wildly specific cultural accuracy.

RFF WORLDWIDE WESTERN CON son_of_foley's Avatar
    Letting the POTTY go to his head since Jan 2010
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love this show. It's so endearing. About half way through season 2 and I think it's great

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SEASON 2 SPOILERS BELOW

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison View Post
    i've caught bits and pieces of this season as my wife watches. caught the thanksgiving and italian romance short film episodes in full a few hours ago. thanksgiving one is great. the italian-centric one is by all means very good, but is such well-trodden ground that i'm surprised aziz can even climb out the pothole. bunch of funny bits, incredibly well acted, great direction, but so was 500 days of summer and garden state. the hopeless nice guy pining over the manic pixie dream girl who loves quirky shit like trips to duane reade. but in the end, i can't say it wasn't a totally enjoyable episode of television, and fuck who am i to snipe at or deny a non-derpy white male the pleasure of indulging in the fantasy.

on mildly related note, my wife is a therapist and is working with an married italian woman and apparently both her and her italian husband have had these periods of building a deep, meaningful connection and relationship with an outside love interest that only ever verges on the edge of infidelity. so thumbs up for that wildly specific cultural accuracy.
    Yeah, that double episode tugged on some familiar heartstrings. It wasn't as unique as the Thanksgiving episode or another season 2 episode I loved which was the one that showed the mini-stories of the deaf girl, the cab driver and the door man which ended with them all at the same movie (along with Dev and company). The double episode was similar to Garden State like you said, but I just thought it was really well done. The scene at the outdoor museum was beautiful, and the chemistry between the two characters was palpable. He built up the romantic/sexual tension like a master (of none, lol) to the point where it was almost overwhelming, like I wanted to shout at the screen KISS EACH OTHER ALREADY! But when Dev finally said "I'm in love with you" in the helicopter it was a good payoff and I literally threw my hands in the air like YES! And when the credits rolled I was thinking "Aziz you son of a bitch" for putting me through the wringer of that episode, but in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Zero View Post
    I blew through Season 2 this weekend. Funnily enough, I have the same thoughts on it as I did on Season 1. I enjoyed pretty much every episode quite a bit except for the finale. It wasn't as bad as I thought the first season finale was, but I found it fairly unsatisfying.
    Well, it was a sad ending in that you wanted Dev and Francesca to get together so badly, and they didn't. But I think that's a very real and appropriate ending as opposed to the fairy tale ending which would have been more satisfying. Not only did it make sense that Fran couldn't abandon her whole life and family to be with Dev, but for the show to continue onto season 3 (if it does), they couldn't have their happy ending. Now if Aziz ends the show here I'll probably agree with you that I'd prefer the other option. But I thought the scene between them where Fran gave him her answer was well written and Dev's reaction was what it should be, sort of lashing out at her about how he felt used. Both of their sides of the story were well represented in the end - it was sad for each of them.
    Last edited by Fro; May 27th, 2017 at 9:37 PM.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that double episode tugged on some familiar heartstrings. It wasn't as unique as the Thanksgiving episode or another season 2 episode I loved which was the one that showed the mini-stories of the deaf girl, the cab driver and the door man which ended with them all at the same movie (along with Dev and company). The double episode was similar to Garden State like you said, but I just thought it was really well done. The scene at the outdoor museum was beautiful, and the chemistry between the two characters was palpable. He built up the romantic/sexual tension like a master (of none, lol) to the point where it was almost overwhelming, like I wanted to shout at the screen KISS EACH OTHER ALREADY! But when Dev finally said "I'm in love with you" in the helicopter it was a good payoff and I literally threw my hands in the air like YES! And when the credits rolled I was thinking "Aziz you son of a bitch" for putting me through the wringer of that episode, but in a good way.

Well, it was a sad ending in that you wanted Dev and Francesca to get together so badly, and they didn't. But I think that's a very real and appropriate ending as opposed to the fairy tale ending which would have been more satisfying. Not only did it make sense that Fran couldn't abandon her whole life and family to be with Dev, but for the show to continue onto season 3 (if it does), they couldn't have their happy ending. Now if Aziz ends the show here I'll probably agree with you that I'd prefer the other option. But I thought the scene between them where Fran gave him her answer was well written and Dev's reaction was what it should be, sort of lashing out at her about how he felt used. Both of their sides of the story were well represented in the end - it was sad for each of them.
    Did you catch the final shot?

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho666Soldier View Post
    Did you catch the final shot?

Damn is that right? I rewound that part because I wasn't sure what it was but I thought it was just a flashback to the blizzard night.

If what you're saying is true, then my first thought is that he put that in there in case they never do a season 3. If that was the series finale then it can be a sign they eventually get together. If they do return then they can circle back to it, or even just ignore it if they want to go a different direction.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn is that right? I rewound that part because I wasn't sure what it was but I thought it was just a flashback to the blizzard night.

If what you're saying is true, then my first thought is that he put that in there in case they never do a season 3. If that was the series finale then it can be a sign they eventually get together. If they do return then they can circle back to it, or even just ignore it if they want to go a different direction.
    Mostly spoilering in case someone reads this post before finishing the series:

All around, I think I definitely got into this season more than the first. This season had quite a few more laugh-out-loud moments, and some of the episode concepts were just brilliant. I really relate to Dev's struggle with Francesca, and even if it's been covered before, it felt very real. Also, Dev's slow decline of enthusiasm every time he hangs out with Francesca is was not lost on me. The Tinder Date episode was brilliant, and I absolutely loved the Thanksgiving episode. On so many levels. Reminded me of some of my family with the antics, and I loved them touching on the awkwardness of coming out as a woman and to a black family. All around, this show really has grown into its own creation, and I love it's consistent comedy combined with poignant emotion and reality. I hope there's a season 3, but I can see the concept losing its luster over time, so I think they should consider wrapping it up around then.

Also, can we show some love to H. Jon Benjamin who showed that he could pull off some heavy acting?

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea the part that threw me off was how they showed the snow in the window, figured that meant it was the same night as before. But I've gone back and yea obviously different outfits. Like I said before, they could write back around to this moment or they could write it off as a surreal dream thing. I actually liked it better without that last bit because it's a tease but like the Sopranos ending I suppose it's meant to be deliberately ambiguous.

On whether or not season 3 will happen:

Quote Originally Posted by Aziz
    “The worst time to ask me or [co-creator] Alan [Yang] about whether we’re doing a third season is right after we finished the second season,” Ansari told us at the Vulture Festival. “Even just hearing the words ‘season three’ stresses me out. And being asked that in interviews stresses me out. I immediately think of a year of very hard work. Now we’ve just finished the season and now we have other things we want to do. I love the show, and it’s the best job I have ever had to make a show with my best friend, and my whole entire immediate family.”

The comedian clearly wasn’t answering in the coy, wink-wink-who-knows-but-of-course-way that many actors do. Instead, it really seemed like it could go either way.

“If we didn’t do a third season, yeah, I’d feel bad that we wouldn’t get to keep going, but I also wouldn’t want to do a third season if it wasn’t as inspired as what we did,” he added. “And the reason we took a break between season one and season two was so we could make something that was really a step up. I wouldn’t want to have it be a step back and make it not as cool as exciting. I think we need some to refill the notebook.”