User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Charting The Most Important Matches in Wrestlings History

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OD50 View Post
    Sherri pinning Moolah deserves a mention too. Moolah held the title for 10 years (not sure how legit that number is though) or whatever before Sherri pinned her in 1987. Alundra blayze winning the tournament in 1993 (who did she beat? Can't remember) is fairly significant, as well as her WCW Nitro angle...
    It was Wendi Richter who ended her ten year Reign (she lost the title four times in that period as well, just WWE doesn't recognize the losses - it was with the NWA title).

My dad pinned Mr Backlund Kneeneighbor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by chatty View Post
    So AWA:

NWA - 1952 - Lou Thesz v Verne Gagne (Refusal to put the belt on Gagne leads to him buying out and running the AWA)
    AWA - 1981 - Verne Gagne v Nick Bockwinkle (AWA's Bggest match/rivalry)
    AWA - 1982 - Nick Bockwinkle v Hulk Hogan (Refusla to put the belt on Hogan sent Hogan to WWE where he was pushed as the main star - pretty much killed AWA and the other territories to boot)
    AWA - 1982 - The Road Warriors v Baron Von Raske & The Crusher (Road Warriors Become Main Draw)
    AWA - 1988 - Super Clash III - Jerry Lawler v Kerry Von Erich (AWA & WCCW Unification, Terrortories Only and Last Stand of uniting against WWE)
    Clearly you forgot to mention the pink room matches in the Team Challenge Series in 89.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneeneighbor View Post
    Clearly you forgot to mention the pink room matches in the Team Challenge Series in 89.
    Ive been basically focusing on the world champions in research so far so plenty more when I go through other parts of the rosters. Picked a couple of obvious ones away from WHC but ill have to go deeper on all promotions for the rest.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stampede:

Only real ones I can think of from here would be:

1979 - Bret Hart v Dynamite Kid (basically helped build and showcase two future HOFers)

1979 - Dynamite Kid v Davey Boy Smith (Simialr to above but with title on the line, helped make The Bulldogs too)

1983 - Bret Hart, Davey Boy Smith and Sonny Two Rivers v Bad News Allen, The Stomper and Jeff Gouldie (Caused Riot which say Stampede Banned and Ultimately Sold To WWE - Resulted In WWE's Acquisition of Bret, Dynamite and Davey Boy)

I think the last one is a definite. You can argue the other two possibly aren't that important despite the talent involved.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been nearly 8 years since I made this thread, thought it might be worth a bump to add in anything from that period.

WWE has trucked along and NxT has had some big years, NJPW had some massive years, AEW arrived and the Indies have been busy so should be a fair few matches to add onto this.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    My god, it's 2023 already?

Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ukraine
    NXT 2015 - Sasha Banks vs Bayley (Iron Man match)
    AEW 2021 - Thunder Rosa vs Britt Baker (Lights out match)