User Tag List

Thread: Euro 2016

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Euro 2016

Early I know but the ticket portal is open until July 10th if you want to go for tickets.

https://euro2016.tickets.uefa.com/

I've gone for a bunch of matches in the first week in the South of France.
    Last edited by Beefy; June 10th, 2015 at 9:45 AM.

BC 4 Lyfe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My parents just moved to the north of France so I'm going to go for loads of tickets in Lens and Lille.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I've gone for all the first week matches in the North of France which I suspect will be pretty competitive. And a token effort for tickets to the final.

FYI, it actually closes on July 10th.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't even think about going for the final, or anything beyond the group, which I guess speaks volumes for how long I expect my main interest in the tournament to last for.

I hope I get something though. This should be the last attractive tournament from a fans perspective for a long time.
    Last edited by Beefy; June 10th, 2015 at 11:38 AM.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should I put my name in for you guys? Or would I have to be the one to use them?

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No you wouldn't - the tickets would be posted to you and you'd be charged though.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Is there a pricing guide?

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Which category did you choose Beefy?

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't get any tickets. Still going so fuck you Platini.

The Beast From Belarus Hlebsfall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nepal
    Me and three of my mates applied for 4 tickets for destination lens, and a lille group game in the middle. None of us got destination lens, but we all got 4 tickets for the group game. Wish I had split the Lens games out and applied for them seperately now. Oh, we all chucked in a token effort for the final, and one of us got it, so we've got 4 tickets to the final as well.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah that's awesome. A mate of mine has got the Final through a friend too.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I made 2 applications for the first week in Paris and got one game. I wanted 5 so a bit disappointed but I'm in the England away club so hopefully they get a Paris game and then maybe buy a couple of others from somewhere.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Official resale tickets on sale in the Spring??? That's way too late.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Anyone looked at accommodation yet?

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ticket portal reopens for the last time in a couple of minutes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nepal
    I've got a spare ticket for Ireland vs Italy if anyone wanted it.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd have no problem selling it over here if you end up stuck with it.

I got the tickets I wanted - Sweden vs Belgium and the Second Round game in Nice (England if we finish second in the group). There's nothing in Marseille whilst we're in the country so those were the only two games it was feasible to get to from our base in the Cote d'Azur.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    I'd have no problem selling it over here if you end up stuck with it.

I got the tickets I wanted - Sweden vs Belgium and the Second Round game in Nice (England if we finish second in the group). There's nothing in Marseille whilst we're in the country so those were the only two games it was feasible to get to from our base in the Cote d'Azur.
    Sweden v Belgium should be a good one - dark horses for the Cup vs Ibra and pals.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah should be fun, Sweden were my adopted team for Euro 2008 so I've got a Sweden away shirt I can dig out to wear too.

Simon
    First England squad confirmed - three will be culled at a later date...

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, Fraser Forster, Tom Heaton.

Defenders: Nathaniel Clyne, Kyle Walker, Gary Cahill, Chris Smalling, John Stones, Ryan Bertrand, Danny Rose.

Midfielders: Dele Alli, Ross Barkley, Fabian Delph, Eric Dier, Danny Drinkwater, Jordan Henderson, Adam Lallana, James Milner, Raheem Sterling, Andros Townsend, Jack Wilshere.

Strikers: Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Wayne Rooney, Daniel Sturridge, Jamie Vardy.
    No major surprises - you'd assume the ones to miss out would be Rashford, Delph and maybe Townsend or Lallana?

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a chance Lallana will miss out.

Simon
    Yeah straight away I realise that was a wild shout, Hodgson loves him and he'll probably be starting every game.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, he's nailed on to start now Welbeck is out now.

I'd say Rashford, Drinkwater/Delph and Townsend are the ones who will drop out. I hope to fuck we don't suffer some sort of crisis in central defence though, 3 players there looks weak imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nepal
    Wouldn't be surprised if the other one to miss out is Drinkwater. Agree on Rashford and Delph.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nepal
    I'd imagine the thinking over 3 centre backs is that worst case scenario Dier can do a job in there if needed.

Simon
    Dier is the fourth centre back. IMO he's probably the best of the lot, or at least second best after Smalling...I know it won't happen, but I'd rather have Dier playing alongside Smalling and someone else in defensive mid. The difference in quality between Dier and, say, Drinkwater is much smaller than the difference between Dier and Cahill/Stones at centre back.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aye, that's true. Didn't think about Dier playing there.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No West Ham players... would've liked to see Cresswell or Antonio, but their roles are filled I guess.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Antonio would have been an interesting choice but I think the tournament is a few months early for him. He has ended the season on fire but I doubt he was in consideration before then.

I'd probably have Mark Noble over Fabien Delph at this point.

Andy
    Roy has said he doesn't want to take anyone who needs to prove their fitness so that would rule Henderson out. I hope that is the case because I think Delph and Drinkwater are better players anyway.

Simon
    So how can he justify picking Wilshere? Whether he's recovered from the injury or not, he's been out of the game for 18 months and cannot be expected to regain match fitness in such a short space of time. I can understand taking a risk on one of him and Henderson, but picking both is mad, especially when there are decent alternatives available.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive Plasma View Post
    No West Ham players... would've liked to see Cresswell or Antonio, but their roles are filled I guess.
    Cresswell should have gone ahead of Bertrand for me.

Andy
    He can justify picking Wilshere because he's fit and playing, even though it's only been for a few weeks. Plus he offers something no one else does and is just a much better player.

Simon
    He's started one game, at right wing from what I heard. He's a good player but no world beater, seems crazy to me that we're taking a risk on both him and Henderson. Henderson moreso obviously because he's not as good and more importantly still seems to be injured now.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    So how can he justify picking Wilshere? Whether he's recovered from the injury or not, he's been out of the game for 18 months and cannot be expected to regain match fitness in such a short space of time. I can understand taking a risk on one of him and Henderson, but picking both is mad, especially when there are decent alternatives available.
    Wilshere is out nine months not 18. Less than a year ago he was scoring two goals in one tricky qualifier to get a win almost on his own and he was the guy the whole qualification team was built around. He's also been back for what, six weeks now? He should be fresher than anyone in the squad.

The injury was a break too I think. It would be more of a concern if it was ankle or knee ligaments.

I'm sure Hodgson wishes he had played more this season but he'll get plenty of chances in the friendlies. This feels to me to be very different to rushing Rooney or Beckham back when they were obviously still injured.

Henderson is the bigger issue because he isn't fit, isn't playing and has a very different type of injury.

Defiance is a four letter
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty certain Townsend will make the final squad. Not only has he always performed for England but he's been really kicking off towards the end of the season.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    Wilshere is out nine months not 18. Less than a year ago he was scoring two goals in one tricky qualifier to get a win almost on his own and he was the guy the whole qualification team was built around. He's also been back for what, six weeks now? He should be fresher than anyone in the squad.

The injury was a break too I think. It would be more of a concern if it was ankle or knee ligaments.

I'm sure Hodgson wishes he had played more this season but he'll get plenty of chances in the friendlies. This feels to me to be very different to rushing Rooney or Beckham back when they were obviously still injured.

Henderson is the bigger issue because he isn't fit, isn't playing and has a very different type of injury.
    Wilshere's not actually played much during that six weeks though. I think yesterday was his first start. Like I said though it's not him going I have a particular issue with, more that Roy is taking a risk on both him AND Henderson. Frankly taking Wilshere is a risk regardless of his fitness simply because his injury record suggests there's a decent chance he won't stay fit for however long England are in the competition anyway.

Townsend isn't as mad a pick as people think. I was a vocal critic of him at Tottenham but he is a fantastic impact sub for any situation, offering direct, aggressive wing play if you're chasing a goal and a pacey outlet who can carry the ball long distances if you're ahead. He's also a real confidence player and at the moment he's in great form. As long as he isn't starting, I don't have much of an issue with him getting in the squad, particularly as the alternatives weren't up to much.

Nice of Walcott to confirm he's accepted Hodgson's decision not to take him. God knows what would have happened if he didn't.

RFF WORLDWIDE WESTERN CON son_of_foley's Avatar
    Letting the POTTY go to his head since Jan 2010
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Roy has said he doesn't want to take anyone who needs to prove their fitness so that would rule Henderson out. I hope that is the case because I think Delph and Drinkwater are better players anyway.
    Are they really though?

I don't rate Henderson much but fuck me Delph isn't really much different is he

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could Noble switch to play for Republic or is it too late now? I got confused because I thought it was too late but then Deeney was talking about playing for N.I

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Genuine question, would you want Deeney (or whoever really) to switch to playing for you? He'd improve your team obviously but would his actual nationality be a problem?

Simon
    I was really surprised to see Dummett has been given a call to play for Wales, I could have sworn he played for Northern Ireland at some point. Must be thinking of another Newcastle full back, any idea!?

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're thinking of Olivier Bernard.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alessandro Pistone?

Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by son_of_foley View Post
    Are they really though?

I don't rate Henderson much but fuck me Delph isn't really much different is he
    I think so. I think they're both more intelligent footballers and better passers.

Andy
    The options for the wide spots look pretty average just now with Chamberlain out, Welbeck out and Sterling in rotten form. I think Dier and Wilshere are definite starters along with Rooney, so at least two of Sturridge, Kane and Alli will miss out.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't agree with that. Kane is a 100% certainty to start. More so than even Rooney, IMO. I'd say all the players you mention there, other than Sturridge, will start vs Russia.

Simon
    I don't think Hodgson will change the system to fit the players. Having said that he's experimented with a few systems so who knows. Assuming everyone is fit, I would imagine Hodgson's starting line up would be...

Hart

Clyne - Smalling - Cahill - Rose

Henderson - Wilshere

Lallana - Rooney - Sterling

Kane

There are a few either/ors there - Dier or Milner could easily come in for either of the centre mids, Alli could play ahead of either Lallana or Sterling (probably Sterling), and the full back spots are a toss-up as well. Looking at it, the only guaranteed starters IMO are Hart, Smalling, Rooney and Kane. I'm not sure whether to be excited or worried by that. Both?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not enough Defoe in the squad for my liking.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BBF View Post
    Genuine question, would you want Deeney (or whoever really) to switch to playing for you? He'd improve your team obviously but would his actual nationality be a problem?
    I would love him to. It gives us more chance of actually getting to a world cup and its not like its a new thing to us with Iain Dowie etc before

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think so. I think they're both more intelligent footballers and better passers.
    Delph doesn't seem that intelligent and Drinkwater could be but not sure it's nailed on. Henderson is a good passer just has Gerrard syndrome but when he calms down he's good in and around the box

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The options for the wide spots look pretty average just now with Chamberlain out, Welbeck out and Sterling in rotten form. I think Dier and Wilshere are definite starters along with Rooney, so at least two of Sturridge, Kane and Alli will miss out.
    Would be bang average with Chamberlain in

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I was really surprised to see Dummett has been given a call to play for Wales, I could have sworn he played for Northern Ireland at some point. Must be thinking of another Newcastle full back, any idea!?
    Shane Ferguson

Andy
    Where has Lallana been playing for Liverpool? I've not seen them much recently. Rooney had one good game in midfield, I don't see him starting there and if he does I think it would be a mistake. He's not as dynamic, quick or incisive as Alli or Barkley. Obviously he shouldn't be playing at all but I think he'll play up front. I suppose the question is whether Roy plays a 4-4-2 diamond to accommodate Kane or whether he continues with a 4-4-3 and shoehorns Alli and/or Vardy into wide positions.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lallana has been playing anywhere across the line behind the striker with Coutinho and Firmino.

I really like Lallana but he's one of the most frustrating players for me. I think if he's given too much time to think he normally makes the wrong choice but if he's just got to work on instinct he's fantastic.

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No Costa in the Spain squad is absolute bloody madness if you ask me.

Simon
    He's done nothing for them to be fair and doesn't suit their style.

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He wasn't fully fit for the World Cup though was he? I'd definitely take him.

Simon
    Harry Kane is shorter odds to start the first game than Joe Hart...is it just me that finds that really weird? Don't get me wrong I assume Kane will start but I don't think it's absolutely nailed on, whereas Hart's position really couldn't be any more certain.

The Rosk
    No it is not weird. He is arguably our best striker and started our last few games. Also Hart is carrying a slight injury. Also odds mean nothing.

The Rosk
    Also it's bollocks. Hart is 1/50 and Kane is 1/10.

Simon
    Coral were quoting Hart at 1/16 and Kane at 1/20.

Kane will amost certainly start but there are other options available, whereas barring injury Hart's position couldn't be more comfortable, particularly since Butland got injured.

I'm being pedantic because even with the odds I'm quoting the bookies are essentially saying both will definitely start, just found it odd that Kane was considered more likely.

Simon
    Is it just me or does there seem to be relatively little hype surrounding England and the tournament in general at the moment? Maybe it's just because the Mourinho thing has overshadowed it for the time being, but it doesn't really feel like a big deal at the moment, which is weird given it's barely two weeks until the first game.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    thats surely a good thing.
    TAPS AFF!

Simon
    Definitely for England, but I've been surprised at the lack of hype around the tournament in general, not much has really been said about it thus far and in general the whole thing seems to have crept up on everyone. I guess we're still a couple of weeks away and once the CL final has happened and the Mourinho thing is concluded the build-up will start.

Who is everyone backing to win it? I didn't realise just how good France's squad is until I played against them on FIFA the other day - defensively they aren't up to much, but that midfield and attack looks unstoppable. I think Spain will probably do better than people are expecting now that they seem likely to go back to a no-striker system (Costa and Torres left out, Alcacer injured), plus they have Morata if they do want a more conventional forward and he looks absolutely class nowadays. Obviously Germany will be up there too, I think it'll be between those three.

Simon
    Shock news, Sturridge and Delph both injured. Rashford's gonna go and end up being Rooney 2004 isn't he

The Rosk
    I am glad that cunt Delph got injured. I hope he rots.

In other news this means presumably that Drinkwater is in. I approve of this.

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    edit: wrong thread
    Last edited by Spedizzo; May 26th, 2016 at 3:41 PM.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/...ayer-in-france

Alright, I'm starting to get excited now.

Classy new Stevie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    England vs Scotlanf from euro 96 is "live" on the BBC sport website now.

Includes Live text updates.

Awesome.

Shearer documentary tonight too.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shit I'd have loved to have seen that. What a day that was. The BBC did that for a few classic games in the last World Cup, are they doing it again at all in the run up to the Euros?

Classy new Stevie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I literally just happened to catch that one last night. I haven't seen any others.

First half was poor. Anderton and mcmanaman were getting pushed right back. Gazza was ineffectual.

Things improved.

I ate them before they ate me El Capitano Gatisto's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hahahahahhahahaa fucking hell that Bruno Alves tackle.

Simon
    That documentary about Euro 96 was great. God that Holland game.

How are England playing? I'm in Bruges and only keeping up with the score.

I ate them before they ate me El Capitano Gatisto's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trying to shoehorn Rooney in alongside Vardy and Kane worked about as well as expected, with both Vardy and Kane done no favours by being forced into wide areas and to track backm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nepal
    This has been fucking dreadful. Absolute shit.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen some bad games of football but fuck me.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Capitano Gatisto View Post
    Hahahahahhahahaa fucking hell that Bruno Alves tackle.
    It was barely even a tackle. Absolutely reckless.

Terrible game though. So dull.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Rooney nonsense aside, I'm getting pretty excited for this now. Got a nice week off work for the first week of the tournament too, so probably going to watch the lot.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive Plasma View Post
    It was barely even a tackle. Absolutely reckless.

Terrible game though. So dull.
    Harder!!!!