Thread: The UFC Fight Pass Events General Thread

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    #2-3 ranked female fighter in the world deserves credit. Compared to her peers explained to me why she shouldn't be considered extremely talented? I'd bet the house you'd last mayyyyybe 12 seconds against her and that's just the time it'd take her to catch your running ass, pull you back in the ring from trying to climb out, and probably knocking you out cold with a jab lol.
    WBW is garbage. The very one-dimensional and God awful at everything else Ronda Rousey was able to dominate that division for years. Miesha Tate is a punching bag in literally every one of her fights and only wins by weathering storms. Next.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hammer View Post
    WBW is garbage. The very one-dimensional and God awful at everything else Ronda Rousey was able to dominate that division for years. Miesha Tate is a punching bag in literally every one of her fights and only wins by weathering storms. Next.
    I disagree. I think due to the division having such a dominant champion for years it made everyone else look subpar in the eyes of many. But you could say the same exact thing about 115. JJ is going to run that division for a long time but the only fight she ever had so far that looked competitive was really the first fight with Claudia which was before she had the belt. I guess their rematch wasn't as one sided as her other title defenses. Plus I think a lot of fans are still trying to accept WMMA and will do anything they can to demean it.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    That is not true at all regarding JJ. Her fight with Letourneau was very competitive (though she won clearly), ditto with the Gadelha rematch. Plus there are some undefeated up and comers who haven't quite reached contendership but should soon considering how shallow the division is.

WBW is comprised of librarians and women who entered MMA to lose weight. Betche Correia types (who amassed a notable undefeated record in spite of being laughably unskilled). Rousey was so dominant ONLY because the rest of the division is trash. Miesha Tate has worse fight IQ than Overeem and not a fraction of his skill (though she can withstand more relative punishment which is the only reason she's made it so far to begin with) and Rousey worked her twice. Miesha actually could have beaten Ronda had she not been so retarded by shooting for takedowns when she was winning the standing battles with her atrocious striking.

I don't know what your comment about fans "demeaning" WMMA has to do with anything. If you're insinuating I am, well, you're wrong and I love Women's strawweight. JJ vs KK coming up should be immense. I'm hoping KK wins because she is cute as fuck.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is not true at all regarding JJ. Her fight with Letourneau was very competitive (though she won clearly), ditto with the Gadelha rematch. Plus there are some undefeated up and comers who haven't quite reached contendership but should soon considering how shallow the division is.

WBW is comprised of librarians and women who entered MMA to lose weight. Betche Correia types (who amassed a notable undefeated record in spite of being laughably unskilled). Rousey was so dominant ONLY because the rest of the division is trash. Miesha Tate has worse fight IQ than Overeem and not a fraction of his skill (though she can withstand more relative punishment which is the only reason she's made it so far to begin with) and Rousey worked her twice. Miesha actually could have beaten Ronda had she not been so retarded by shooting for takedowns when she was winning the standing battles with her atrocious striking.

I don't know what your comment about fans "demeaning" WMMA has to do with anything. If you're insinuating I am, well, you're wrong and I love Women's strawweight. JJ vs KK coming up should be immense. I'm hoping KK wins because she is cute as fuck.

You do know there are a shit ton of fighters at 115, including your girl PVZ, who didn't have plans to be MMA fighters when they decided to take up BJJ, kickboxing, etc. There aren't a ton of females pre-Ronda Rousey stardom that were inspired to compete in MMA to begin with. Now with R3 being so popular I would say you're going to start seeing more and more female fighters who are crossing over from other sports or taking up martial arts and training at MMA gyms.

Let's put it this way, when you want someone to win a fight because they're "cute as fuck", that says a lot about what you think about Women's MMA in general. Imagine what someone would think if a chick said "I hope Frankie Edgar wins he's cute as fuck".

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of WMMA....Cyborg once again with the W. She says the next time she'd like to fight someone who is top 10. Now the funny thing is, she was meaning top 10 at 135 but wanting one of them to step up to 140. Before we hear the whole "She needs to drop 5lbs., she's a roider, etc." let's talk about the reality that both Holm and Tate said they would fight Cyborg at 140. So you have 2 women right there who maybe spoke to make themselves seem better than Ronda for wanting the fight when in reality they didn't want the fight lol.

Idk...I get the arguments against Cyborg fighting these women but I also get the other side of the argument, especially when certain women are throwing their name in the hat only to see the piece of paper is blank and they forgot to write it down lol.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Her strength is a big part of her game. As long as she can find fights at 140-145 she will. Holly and Miesha both said they'd fight her at 140 then they tucked. I think the top 2-3 135 lb girls would give her problems, but we'll probably never find out. Considering the fact that she's one of the bigger more muscular women, I'm assuming that she's just not committing to the idea of dropping that size, and that's totally up to her. And while I get why people want her to get down to 135, I don't think it's fair that she's the most criticized fighter in all of MMA to drop weight classes. Every other champion gets pressure, but not to the extent Cyborg does, and even then, it's pressure to move up a weight for a challenge not down a weight where her obvious physical attributes would be even more prominent. Sure, she'd gain big exposure, but I doubt she'd turn many detractors into supporters. They know they have a draw in Cyborg that's why they're using her on cards.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    You do know there are a shit ton of fighters at 115, including your girl PVZ, who didn't have plans to be MMA fighters when they decided to take up BJJ, kickboxing, etc. There aren't a ton of females pre-Ronda Rousey stardom that were inspired to compete in MMA to begin with. Now with R3 being so popular I would say you're going to start seeing more and more female fighters who are crossing over from other sports or taking up martial arts and training at MMA gyms.

Let's put it this way, when you want someone to win a fight because they're "cute as fuck", that says a lot about what you think about Women's MMA in general. Imagine what someone would think if a chick said "I hope Frankie Edgar wins he's cute as fuck".
    The difference in PVZ and the likes of Alexis Davis who was a top contender for years during Ronda's heyday is that she is a lifelong dancer and athlete. Also "R3" is a fucking godawful nickname coined by some retard Sherdog Ronda lover so please stop.

It is human nature to find attractive people more appealing than unattractive people. Cry to mother nature, not me. While you are an avid fan and I respect that as well as your role in keeping MMA discussion on this wrestling-oriented forum alive, your opinions many times are based purely on bias vs objective thought (see literally every post you've ever made about Conor McGregor, where it seems you want to accept defeat and admit he is the real deal yet can't quite bring yourself to acknowledge it so you begrudgingly write him off as a Chael Sonnen clone) and when you accuse me of being shallow enough to value cute girls over an almost decade long love of this sport you are simply cementing my point that you are irrational and incapable of looking past bias.

I love Miesha too, she's fine as hell, but lololololol she is not "extremely talented".
    Last edited by Mark Hammer; September 26th, 2016 at 1:38 PM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always said that if Cyborg truly wanted to be CHAMPION at 135, she'd figure out a way to get to 135. But she doesn't care about being the 135 champion, never has never will. She wanted to fight Ronda because everyone was saying R3 was the greatest WMMA fighter, some even said she was just the best fighter PERIOD. This goes back to Anderson v. GSP. Anderson is up at 185 killing dudes with ease, yet people are saying GSP is the greatest. So how do you settle it? You fight. I think that honestly we will never see Cyborg versus any of the top 135 girls and I respect why but that still doesn't mean as a fan I'm not going to want to see these fights still.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The difference in PVZ and the likes of Alexis Davis who was a top contender for years during Ronda's heyday is that she is a lifelong dancer and athlete. Also "R3" is a fucking godawful nickname coined by some retard Sherdog Ronda lover so please stop.

It is human nature to find attractive people more appealing than unattractive people. Cry to mother nature, not me. While you are an avid fan and I respect that as well as your role in keeping MMA discussion on this wrestling-oriented forum alive, your opinions many times are based purely on bias vs objective thought (see literally every post you've ever made about Conor McGregor, where it seems you want to accept defeat and admit he is the real deal yet can't quite bring yourself to acknowledge it) and when you accuse me of being shallow enough to value cute girls over an almost decade long love of this sport you are simply cementing my point that you are irrational and incapable of looking past bias.

I love Miesha too, she's fine as hell, but lololololol she is not "extremely talented".
    I've acknowledged multiple times that Conor McGregor is the real deal.

So being a lifelong dancer and an athlete (Gymnastics and cheerleading....lol) gets you a pass? Do some research on Alexis Davis. Started training jujitsu in HS, was on her HS wrestling team....That's more than most dudes that compete at a high level in the UFC ever did in highschool.

I actually heard R3 on the Rogan podcast, not Sherdog.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yeah, it does get you a pass. How many random karate kid front kick knockouts has soccer mom Alexis Davis pulled off? None, because she isn't an athlete whatsoever.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Brock Lesnar's UFC career was successful simply because he was a freak of nature. I cannot fathom someone arguing that being athletic isn't beneficial in a fight but ladies and gentlemen I present Nash Diesel.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it does get you a pass. How many random karate kid front kick knockouts has soccer mom Alexis Davis pulled off? None, because she isn't an athlete whatsoever.
    So she does that move one time and it worked against a scrub and now she's Bruce Lee? Again, Alexis Davis is an athlete as well. Having a child doesn't mean what you did prior to MMA vanishes lol. Like I said, she was practicing 2 forms of jits plus she was on the high school wrestling team. But you know, since she isn't hot, and she wasn't a dancer, none of the real shit matters to Mark Hammer.

Brock Lesnar's UFC career was successful simply because he was a freak of nature. I cannot fathom someone arguing that being athletic isn't beneficial in a fight but ladies and gentlemen I present Nash Diesel.
    I never once said being athletic isn't beneficial. lol. But you go ahead and keep talking about how much more important being a dancer is than being a wrestler......

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Cyborg walks around at about 175 lbs, just so everyone understands how big she is. 40 lbs is quite a lot to ask for someone to cut, and it's not like she's cutting 40 lbs of belly like Johny Hendricks.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OD50 View Post
    Cyborg walks around at about 175 lbs, just so everyone understands how big she is. 40 lbs is quite a lot to ask for someone to cut, and it's not like she's cutting 40 lbs of belly like Johny Hendricks.
    Well there's the argument that if she wasn't so muscular she'd be able to cut the weight easier and she wouldn't walk around so big but idk. Would I want to see Cain V drop down to 185 if it meant sacrificing his power? Could he? I'm sure someone will go "He's 6'1" there are guys taller than that who fight at 155". Some people just don't get that there's more to cutting weight than going "You have muscles, stop weight training, you're tall, you will be fine!" I think Cyborg is just a big girl in general but I don't really know what she can and can't do.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony Ferguson v. RDA this Saturday! Card also features Diego Sanchez v. Marcin Held, Ricardo Lamas v. Charles Oliveria, and the LW finals for TUF Latin America 3 which was coached by Chuck Liddell and Forrest Griffin.

I'm excited for these fights. I hope Tony gets the W, the guy has banged out 8 straight wins in a very dangerous, deep division. He's lacking some big big wins though so I hope this will position him toward a title shot.

I also think it was cool who the coaches were. I remember awhile back that the UFC were hoping to Iceman v. Forrest for the title, the winner of Iceman/Rashad would get the shot against Forrest, how cool would that have been? TUF 1 Coach fights his guy who won the whole thing? Awesome story. Too bad I never watched a single episode of this when I had Fight Pass.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some good fights on this card for sure. Quality action fighters involved as well so should be some wild scraps.

Can't look past a dos Anjos win in the main event. Ferguson is a crazy scrapper but I feel he's been lucky to find holes in his last 2 opponents to get him out of trouble, whereas RDA is well rounded with great conditioning and should handle himself well in the scrambles where Ferguson thrives. i think they'll both have moments but RDA will take over late and grit out a points win 4 rounds to 1.

Held vs. Sanchez is an interesting fight. Held at this point is the greater fighter, but his biggest strengths aren't where Diego is at his most deficient. Throw in the potential for Octagon jitters and the altitude against a notoriously well conditioned fighter and it's got the recipe for a minor upset. Sanchez is much villified for the amount of ridiculous decisions he's won, but it's a testament to him that he's seldom out of a fight. I'm going Sanchez by one of them controversial decisions.

I know nothing of the TUF chaps.

Lamas vs. Olivera is a banging fight. I either see a wild one rounder with Olivera grabbing hold of a neck in a scramble, or a wild one rounder followed by Lamas breaking Charles inside the distance. Probably the latter, but Olivera is the very definition of any given Sunday. Such a talent, but very flaky.

Looking forward to the Alexa Grasso debut. Apparently been putting on some great fights in Invicta for a while, undefeated, young, cute and Hispanic, could be a star in the making. Heather Jo Clark is tough but slow so it should be a showcase fight.

Dariush vs. Magomedov should be some high end MMA. Both quite highly touted and very well rounded. Dariush nuked James Vick last time out and has wins over Miller and MJ (albeit a robbery). He's really good. Magomedov hasn't fought often enough but has only lost 1 split verdict in a near 20 fight career. Leaning towards the more active Dariush, though he has gassed before and Mexico isn't the place to do that.

Elsewhere, Beltran vs. Soto, Arantes vs. Perez and Alvey vs. Nicholson should be good scraps.

Very solid Fight Night card.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big win for Ferguson. You have to think that the title shot comes down to Ferguson or Khabib. I don't think Michael Johnson getting a win over Khabib, or having a win over Ferguson from 4 years ago is going to put him to the front of the line but you never know. I just think that the performance Ferguson put on against RDA plus it being his 9th win in a row should mean SOMETHING.

Big win for Lamas as well. He's a little spotty but the division is pretty strong in the top 10 where he'll pretty much be for the rest of his career. I don't know if I see him winning the belt, he's 34 but if he strings together a few more big wins he might find himself in a title fight by the end of next year or early 2018 depending on who the champ is.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was an impressive performance from Ferguson. Surprised the judges had it so close they all scored it 48-47. Ferguson will almost certainly face Alvarez next, even if the latter loses to McGregor. I suspect McGregor will take time off after this to do things outside of MMA, at which point the normal order within both divisions will be restored.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    NOW we can name Tony Ferguson next in line. Not prior to this fight though. And if Conor beats Eddie I'm sure we'll get him vs Ferguson for the belt. Either that or maybe Ferguson vs Diaz. That would be fun.

Also I'm glad Oliveira lost. I'm with the announcers in that it didn't even look like he attempted a weight cut.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Finally why exactly was Diego Sanchez the underdog vs the no-name newcomer? I wish I had known that beforehand, could have made some easy money.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally why exactly was Diego Sanchez the underdog vs the no-name newcomer? I wish I had known that beforehand, could have made some easy money.
    And it wasn't even like Diego was a slight underdog lol, it was like a +300. Might have had something to do with Diego getting waxed in 20 seconds in his last fight not to mention most of the fights he's won by split decision should not have been a win for him. Idk, I enjoy watching Diego. This fight wasn't that great but I was glad he pulled off the win. Time flies, dude is now 34 and I still remember TUF 1 like it was yesterday where everyone kept picking to fight him because he was kind of a weirdo to them and he just kept winning.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Poor recent form or not he's proven vs world calibre competition. Those betting lines were wacky a f.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poor recent form or not he's proven vs world calibre competition. Those betting lines were wacky a f.
    Yep.

I think that Diego for his ups and downs, still should have been a favorite considering the cat he fought didn't exactly tear the house down in Bellator. All the "big" names he fought there like Chandler, Brooks, etc. he lost to them. At least Diego is losing to really really good fighters. That 20 second loss though to Lauzon, man I never thought I'd see Diego get finished in 20 seconds....That's actually the only time other than the doctor stoppage loss on my birthday to BJ Penn that he's been finished in all these fucking wars.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    And even the finish to BJ, he wasn't put away. He would have kept going had the doctors let him, he charged towards Kampmann until the final bell while his face was unattached. What exactly did Marcin Held have to offer him? A leglock threat?

The Lauzon KO was quite impressive in context.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the Diego fight was an odd one with the bookies odds. As I said, Diego seems to be a fighter that gets drastically underrated because he hasn't won all 3 rounds or finished a fight in forever, but he's generally always in a fight. As much as the Pearson and Kampmann decisions infuriated, he obviously did enough to be perceived the winner. A fighter with proven conditioning issues who is a master of an art that has never troubled Diego was an odd significant favourite. Held is hardly Mike Chandler when it comes to Bellator lightweights.

Ferguson looked excellent. I was surprised because he ships a lot of shots, but he ate them all without flinching. Him and Conor would be bananas. He has the longer winstreak while equalling Khabib's biggest win so I imagine him getting dibs next. Though that potentially could be a fight for the vacant/interim title.

Olivera, what a dumbass. Such an opportunity for him to bust into top 5 discussions and he turns up 9lbs overweight and gets choked out. Lamas is one tough dude, keeping himself in the discussion. Him against the Edgar/Stephens winner makes a shit ton of sense.

Dariush won a very solid tactical fight. He's the sleeper at lightweight, putting it all together.

Grasso looked good. Women's strawweight is so much better than WBW.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't realize this was the 4th time in his 10 fights Charles has missed weight. He's a pretty tall dude at 145, maybe 155 is where he should be. He used to fight at 155 and the only times he's missed weight were after moving down to 145.....Hmm...

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Decent fight card this weekend.

Michelle Waterson v. Paige Vanzant should be a solid scrap. Hard to call this fight. Karate Hottie is who I'm rolling with.

Faber v. Pickett. Faber's last fight, retirement welcomes him. Dude looks almost the exact same as the first time I saw him about 10 years ago lol. I'd love to see Faber go out with a win.

Sage Northcutt v. Mickey Gall. I'm sure my boy Mark Hammer is going to be having some wrist cramps because 2 of his top people on his "To Do" list are on the card. PVZ, and Mr. Zack Morris himself Sage Northcutt.

Buried in the prelims is a WEC dream match between Eddie Wineland and Takeya Mizugaki. Should be a fire fight.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main card is pretty much a smoke and mirrors show with some of the more recognisable inexperienced names in the sport. 5 of the 8 main carders combine for 14 UFC fights. Only Sage and Paige have had more than 2 out of the 5 too. But it's fresh because they're well matched fights with charismatic people in that should pop a rating. I think after the disappointment of the Condit/Maia ratings they should use FOX for more marketable fighters and chuck the important fights back on PPV.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Seems so odd to me that Carlos Condit never tappened in to the casual crowd. Good looking dude with a great chin who almost always has bloody fights.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems so odd to me that Carlos Condit never tappened in to the casual crowd. Good looking dude with a great chin who almost always has bloody fights.
    He's in my top 3 of favorite fighters of all time. BJ Penn, Chuck Liddell, Carlos Condit. Condit isn't very active, part of me thinks that might be why he never broke through as a major player. I bet if he had beaten GSP he would have broke through, and he came damn close to finishing him in that 3rd round with that sweet headkick

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Condit is an animal. To be fair I think the card came a week after McGregor vs. Diaz 2 so A: it was hard to give it press without getting overshadowed and B: card overload means fans skip the lesser cards and have a weekend away from fights. Was just bad timing.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So tomorrow night I'm thinking Karate Hottie, Gall, and Faber take home the W.

too big to fail Tainted Eclipse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    i'm seriously hyped for gall/sage.

Rush
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mickey Gall wanted to do a hair vs hair bet with Sage and the loser would have to shave their head. Sage didn't accept

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a ballsy card to put on Fox. I think the UFC are overestimating the name value of PVZ and Super Sage, Faber is really the only draw on the entire card. Seriously this might be the most lackluster fight card they've ever done on Fox. On paper.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Waterson's takedown and transition to the back was legit. Paige seems tuned out of fighting and hasn't improved at the rate she should have. Hopefully they push Karate Hottie instead now, she's a better fighter, better story, and cute too.

Micky Gall is pretty good, man. Sage obviously isn't a world beater but he's a solid fighter, and Gall just exploited his weaknesses.

Faber fight was how I wanted it to go, comfortable enough swansong without being dominant enough to want to fight on. Proper way to go out. Pickett shouldn't have been in there so soon after UFC 204 but I'm no doctor.

Good to see Perry lose. What a twat.

Cruz interview was superb. Garbrandt got no trash game,

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was an event to try and showcase PVZ and Sage, but with that said the people who won are good people to lose to as well. Gall riding that wave of having all eyes on Punk, Karate Hottie is another smokin' hot fighter who could with ease transition into ventures outside of MMA. Seriously though, it definitely seemed like the poster childs were completely dominated, especially Paige.I thought Faber looked great in that Pickett fight and Pickett is a tough motherfucker.
    Last edited by Nash Diesel; December 19th, 2016 at 11:24 AM.

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gall has shown he needs a bit of work in his standup. He did clip Northcutt which led to his victory though so I don't know if I can even say he is that green... but prior to that overhand that put Northcutt on his ass I thought he was in a world of trouble.

He has tons of potential though and can become a legitimate fighter. If he moves down to LW and can make the cut, with his size and reach, he will quickly rise up the ranks IMO. He has the right trainers, athletic gifts, etc. Imagine he shows his wrestling and jiu jitsu is legit and he eventually gets to face Tony Ferguson/Khabib?

Dan Hardy is a shit fight. Dan Hardy has no takedown defense whatsover. It was very smart of Gall to call Hardy out. Hardy is probably the most winnable and biggest name fight he can possibly get. I hope they do not book that.

Upset Paige and Sage lost. I wanted to buy into their hype.

Same with Platinum Perry.

Bad night for Dana's kids.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do people outside of the hardcore of the hardcore even remember Dan Hardy? Scares me a little when fighters with brain/heart conditions want to return and are allowed to return.

The thing with Gall is the same thing with Sage and Paige, they're young not just in age but to the sport. Don't care how long you've been training in various martial arts or strictly MMA, they're young and have plenty of time to evolve. DW putting these youngsters in these positions though could have a bad aftershock.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really random call out, maybe smart by Gall? Hardy was never great... has name value and will have been out five years by the time they fight.

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    absolutely smart, but painfully obvious that he is looking for an easily winnable big name fight

Sage at least was a fight where both guys are green/prospects

It is arguable if Dan Hardy should even be allowed in the UFC anymore given all the concussions he has had/knock outs, he is an awful match for the type of style Mickey Gall is, he is aged and worn, etc...

Give him someone like Lando Vannata

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to mention Hardy is carving a great career out for himself as an excellent analyst.

Sage really needs to change camp. He has great tools and no fight IQ. He has not improved a jot in his UFC career to date and considering how young he is and how much he's getting paid there is really no reason why he shouldn't be improving at an incredible rate.

Karate Hottie said that PVZ was green and that's exactly how it proved. She's another one who really should be improving quicker than she is. Her game relies on her being tough and gritty and she's been in the UFC for a while and at a great camp. She shouldn't still be so rough around the edges. Time to start focusing on mma or getting out.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark Hunt is back, he'll be fighting Overeem at UFC 209 in Vegas. Looking like the next stacked show after Rousey, think Woodley/Wonderboy, Diaz/Lawler II and an Aldo fight are on the slate for that one. Looking like 208 is going to be a victim of timing and just be a sub-200k card with Holm vs. GDR on top, poor planning by UFC - nobody's giving up Christmas and New Year with their families to fight on 5 weeks notice when they can just get on a later card. Last year was a slow start too after the Holiday show (UFC 196 becoming a Fight Night, the new 196 losing Conor/RDA, 197 losing Cormier/Jones II) but it turned out amazingly.

Thinking of it, has there ever been a madder year in the sport's history? Look at the champions going into last year - Werdum, Cormier, Rockhold, Lawler, dos Anjos, McGregor, Dillashaw, Johnson, Holm and Double J. Only Johnson and Jedrzejczyk managed a title defence. 7 lost their belts (Conor in the office), with Werdum and Dillashaw looking to close the year on the rebound with 2 straight wins, Holm and dos Anjos lost their comeback fights, Lawler and Rockhold are yet to return. Conor of course becoming the 3rd two weight world champion.

Amanda Nunes started the year 4-1 in the company and never having touched a PPV broadcast. She can end it 7-1, world champion, having beaten WMMA's 2 biggest stars back to back in 2 top 10 grossing PPV's. Dominick Cruz started the year having had 1 fight in 4 and a half years, he can leave it a P4P great. On the flipside, Cody Garbrandt entered 2016 2-0 and never touching a main card, he can leave as champion and a top P4P guy. Tyron Woodley hadn't fought in a year and ended up champ. Fucking Michael Bisping had pretty much a retirement fight set up in London and ended the year champion having beaten 2 all time greats and knocking out the last man to beat him, on 2 weeks notice. Stipe Miocic was pretty much unknown, ends the year as champion having beaten 3 top 10 all time heavyweights by first round KO, one being in a football stadium and one being a home game.

Meisha Tate entered the year seemingly on the verge of retirement, won the belt, lost the belt, and actually retired. Eddie Alvarez was a 1-1 fighter on the verge of gatekeeper status, beat Pettis, won the belt, lost the belt then left the year 3-2 and on the verge of gatekeeper status. 3 Interim belts, 1 being stripped even of that and 1 getting made up to full champion.

MSG. UFC 200. Brock Lesnar. USADA and the trail of legends disgraced this year. The Monster Energy press conference. The WME-IMG sale. Conor McGregor being Conor McGregor and the records he has set this year for revenue. And we've still got 2 title fights and 2 number 1 contender fights and the return of Ronda Rousey to go. Barmy fucking year.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has been one of the craziest years in MMA I've ever witnessed. And I thought 2015 was wild.

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish they would do something with the UFC 208 card.

It is barely passable as a UFC on FX2 card at the moment. There is not 1 single fight on the entire card (out of 11) I give a shit about. Each time they add a fight I keep thinking it is just a joke. Right now the big fight is Holly Holms (coming off 2 losses) against some girl no one really knows at a heavier weight class.

Even if they add Holloway vs. Aldo to this card, it still sucks donkey cock.

I have tickets to it.
    Last edited by Spedizzo; December 21st, 2016 at 11:38 AM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking at the UFC 208 wiki and holy fuck that event looks like ass. The best fight on the card as of right now is 2nd from the bottom and that's Dustin Poirier v. Jim Miller. If that fight isn't on the main card, what the fuck? Sounds like the Aldo-Holloway fight isn't happening because Holloway has an ankle injury that will keep him out of training for 4-6 weeks and the fight is in less than 8. That sucks. That fight would have been worth the price of admission alone. As of now, NY is getting two back to back "whack on paper" cards.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Sage really needs to change camp. He has great tools and no fight IQ. He has not improved a jot in his UFC career to date and considering how young he is and how much he's getting paid there is really no reason why he shouldn't be improving at an incredible rate.
    I think his dad is the problem there.
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/6/13...-a-serious-gym

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dude shouldn't be getting paid 60k a fight at this stage of his career when you have guys with 3x the experience, probably more of a draw, and making less. Sage isn't a draw. He's not backing up the hype. He's making 60k because he looks good.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cyborg has been flagged by USADA for an out of fight test. Looking forward to the "tainted over the counter skin cream" excuse already.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    But why oh why did she turn down those fights and need extra time ...

der da der.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unbelievable for all the crying she's done about being hard done by. Biggest fraud in the sport's history.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Uh oh...

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck this is all I needed, one more thing for my brother Mark Hammer to get apeshit excited about lol.

I give all fighters the benefit of the doubt until we hear more info as we've seen people getting banned for dick pills or not even having an illegal substance but thinking they took one (see Machida). With that said, and I'm just being general with this statement, but these fighters know how fucking strict USADA is so why risk it? Again, we don't know really anything as it pertains to this particular situation but just in general I find it mind blowing when the fighters who take shit that isn't tainted, what are they thinking??? You can't beat USADA forever, they will get you on some weird shit like eyedrops lol.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read the ingredients on the eye drops then. It should be cut and dry, no excuses after 18 months of testing, you can't afford to be ignorant when people like Jones and Lesnar have high profile penalties for alleged tainted over the counter stuff.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Batter View Post
    Read the ingredients on the eye drops then. It should be cut and dry, no excuses after 18 months of testing, you can't afford to be ignorant when people like Jones and Lesnar have high profile penalties for alleged tainted over the counter stuff.
    Oh I know man, it's crazy. You have to be on top of everything you are putting in your body under USADA. You better check the ingredients on your fast food as well. Look at Jones. He said he just took some dick pill from a teammate and boom, he gone for a year. Mendes, he's gone for 2 years over some cream. And again, goes back to needing to be on top of what you're putting in (or on) your body because you don't want to miss a year or 2 because you didn't read the ingredients on the side of a Pepsi.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    I have been notified today by USADA of a potential violation stemming from an Out of Competition Sample collected Dec. 5 2016.
    USADA is an independent administrator of the UFC Anti Doping policy and will be responsible for the review and any sanctioning if imposed.
    It has been brought to my attention that my recent sample contained a banned substance known as Spironolactone. The substance is part of a therapeutic treatment being administered to me by doctor that started the 26th of September and is suppose to last for a period of no less than 90 days, requiring blood exams at the completion. In addition to the treatment administered to me by Dr Ulyssea M Da C O Pinto (CRM-PR19062/CRM-RJ 30150-9/CRM SC 2740/ CRM -RO 2630) I was given a medical suspension by her not to enter into competition style training or weight cutting practices during the period of recovery. It is for those reasons why I declined the UFC fight Feb. 11th 2016 for the first 145lbs belt.
    I am proud to be a member of USADA, and was the first fighter to complete 1 year of testing under USADA programs before competing in UFC competition.
    I have been tested 14 times since entering the program, twice in Q4 in 2016 and have never had a flagged sample.
    My Dr. is experienced with USADA testing and informed me there were no additional steps needed for approval with the associated treatments given to me following my UFC Brasilia fight.
    we are being fully cooperating with USADA at this time and have already started the process of applying for a retroactive therapeutic use exemption.
    For my fans who are disappointed in the news, I am sorry.
    You can feel confident that the substance they are inquiring about is not for performance enhancing use, and is needed for my specific treatments. (International Medical Codes CID E 87.6, CID 87.8, CID E 44.0, CID N 83.2, CID 115.9, CID Z73.3 CID E 06.3) Feel confident that I am a clean athlete.
    It is my hope that my experiences will continue to bring awareness to the dangers of extreme weight cutting. I cut weight 3 times in 8 months during 2016 competing twice at 140lbs. It is because of the measures needed to make the required 140lbs weight limit Sept 24 that my body is needing the on-going medical treatment.
    I am glad the UFC has created the 145lbs division and look forward to fighting for the belt once my body is recovered and ready to compete. Additional information or statements will be provided at the appropriate time as the process moves forward.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is why you don't jump to conclusions but all you have to do is fail once and you basically lose the benefit of the doubt going forward even if you're passing every test.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who's ready for the return of BJ Penn as he steps into the cage against Yair Rodriguez? I'm not sure how I feel about BJ at 145. Obviously his last fight was easily the most hideous BJ Penn performance, and one of the worst performances in general of any MMA fighter. That's really sad to type, as BJ Penn is without a shadow of a doubt my favorite fighter of all time. It's also sad to look at his record and see that he hasn't won a fight in over 6 years, the 20 second KO of Matt Hughes back in November 2010. So I am hoping that he comes in and gets a nice win and continues his path that he wants to be on. He wants that 3rd division title. Could he do it? I don't know. I want to say yes as a fan but as a realistic I'm inclined to think his lack of fighting since 2011 hasn't helped. That's the thing, yeah he's only had 1 win since 2010 but he's only had 4 fights since that win, 1 being a draw.

The rest of the card, very very few names I even recognized. Court McGree v. Ben Saunders should be good, Joe Lauzon v. Marcin Held should be another good one. Held got worked by Diego Sanchez but he had a good run in Bellator.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    No real idea what to expect from Penn. No way his skills have sharpened since his last efforts. Maybe his focus has, but even in his prime he was always prone to drift and rely on his natural ability. Being at Jackson's can't hurt here. Certainly doesn't help though that he'll be fighting a guy who'll move so much better than him that he can't really recreate in training. Ugh.

I'll be rooting for him to turn back the clock in a big way, just not in any way counting on it.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was watching an interview with him and the oh so beautiful Helen Yee where he said one of the things he started noticing were guys older than him still in the game, guys like Werdum, Dan Henderson, a couple others still out there, getting big fights, sometimes winning big fights, etc. I hope he comes in and gets a W but damn he has a hard test ahead of him. I wasn't too worried about him when he was supposed to fight Denis Siver or even Cole Miller. But the last 2 names, Ricardo Lamas and now Yair, these are some pretty dangerous studs.

Rush
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So now that we're close, how do we think BJ is going to look this weekend? I honestly think Yair is going to rinse him. Rodriguez is no joke and not exactly the ideal fodder for a return fight from Penn.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Agreed. Bad fight for BJ; winning doesn't mean much as Yair is not a name, but Yair is a bad dude and will probably light BJ up.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by percussion13 View Post
    That was an interesting post. As an objective fan i have to say that BJ's infrequency is not the reason that he will never win the 145 crown.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to see BJ at least get to a title shot. If he wins the belt, great, if not it'd be a feat in itself, how many fighters can say they challenge for 3 titles in the UFC? None that I can think of. But Yair is a different cat, hard to train for guys like him. If BJ gets passed him I wonder who would be next. You have him beat Yair, give him a top 5 guy, then give him a title shot. That's the power of name value. You don't need to go on a 9 fight winning streak. I just don't know if BJ at 145 is going to be anything special though just going off that last fight. That was just pathetic to see. And knowing BJ, he'd want that title eliminator to be against Edgar "I know I can do it a 4th time man I know I can!!"

And I wonder whatever happened to that beef he had with the dude who went to bat for Dolce, what the fuck was that guy's name who wrote that "rhyme" about BJ Penn and BJ flipped his wig over it, challenging him all crazy like. And then the dude, who I don't think has fought in awhile, didn't accept BJ's challenge like a bitch.

Rush
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nik Lentz!

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah that's right. And I guess Lentz did just fight back in September on the undercard of UFC 203 but hadn't fought since December prior to that. A little surprised Lentz v. Penn never came to fruition but the year BJ had with a couple fights not happening for various reasons I guess I see why. Plus it looks like Lentz went back to 155.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No chance BJ beats Yair Rodriguez. The lower weight classes traditionally aren't kind to elder statesmen. Throw in Penn's inexperience at making the weight and fading in so, so many fights, as well as Yair's raw talent, and it's a tough cocktail to overcome. Unless he realises that there's such a discrepancy in speed and versatility on the feet that his gameplan is to grab a kick, get heavy on top and choke him out. When's Penn ever fought like that though, especially lately? If he does just go all Demian Maia on us, he could get a run going, but past history tells us that he's not going to do that.

Fight card sucks compared to the last 2 years in this slot. McGregor/Siver and Cerrone/Henderson 2 years ago, Cruz/Dillashaw and Pettis/Alvarez last year. I guess the proceeding November's/December's didn't have ridiculous stacked PPV's though.

On that note; Bisping/Romero, Aldo/Holloway, Garbrandt/Dillashaw and Cormier/Johnson should all be about ready to go around the same time, so gonna be a couple stacked cards there. And that's without Mighty Mouse, Joanna, Nunes and Miocic defending. If I were a betting man I would say Mouse or Joanna will be defending on FOX in April. If they're on the monthly PPV schedule I'd go April Bisping/Romero and Aldo/Holloway, May in Ohio for Miocic against JDS/Struve winner and Garbrandt/Dillashaw, June would be a Nunes/Mouse double header, then July is Cormier/Johnson with Jones as chief support (Jones/Weidman?). With fights like Mousasi/Rockhold, Edgar/Lamas, Cruz/Rivera, Cerrone/Lawler, Swanson vs. Zombie/Bermudez winner or Rodriguez (or indeed Penn), Alvarez/Johnson etc. sprinkled about, hopefully be a great run between March and July. Just not much til then.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    My goodness if Penn had ever bought in to fighting like that in his prime ... to use his standup tactically, adopt a takedown arsenal, and his ground game offensively.

Would have been a real joy to watch.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's crazy that BJ, as world class as his submission skills are, he chooses to stand up and box. But that's how those cats are from Hawaii they're scrappers. It's not like he doesn't have submission victories, obviously he's choked out Hughes, he choked out Stevenson and Florian. But for the most part he just wants to knock you the fuck out it seems and almost every fight he loses or when he's losing it's like he doesn't resort back to his roots he just keeps eating punches. The Jon Fitch fight man, he showed he could do some wrestling as well as Fitch is a strong grappler.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Reading about Penn's vaunted ground game and all he accomplished the way he did was what got me into training BJJ. Had me in fits later in his career when he essentially just abandoned all that to try and be Roy fucking Jones. Ugh.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was someone who I think believed in a lot of hype about his stand up. I like it was like Freddie Roach or someone on that level who said he had the best boxing in MMA. At the time. Not sure when this was, maybe it was when he won the LW title. But it's like with Ronda. They started saying she could outbox anyone in the UFC and she believed it even though her striking was barely better than Brock Lesnar's lol. The only difference between R3 and Penn is that Penn actually did have great boxing, I wouldn't say the best in MMA but it was great.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Right, his boxing wasn't some kind of trash. He had good reason to try and utilize his jab and his athleticism standing up. Just not at the expense of completely ditching his most valued asset.

To be fair we saw Nog do this exact same thing as he got older.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Nog's body was pretty much broken at the time, he didn't have too many options. Likewise I've heard a lot about Rousey not being able to incorporate wrestling takedowns because her knees are fucked. Pretty much what happened to Ken Shamrock in his later career. Who knows what's up with with Fedor, he hasn't really done anything but throw bombs for the last 10 years.

BJ had really sharp boxing for the time, he thrashed GSP up in the first round of their first fight.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, I think either GSP v. Penn 1 or Penn v. Sanchez are my favorite BJ Penn fights of all time. I liked the first round of the Fitch fight, I loved him beating the fuck out of Matt Hughes in all 3 fights (yes I know he lost the 2nd but he kicked Matt's ass those first 2 rounds, fucking hate Matt Hughes), but those 2 fights I mentioned right off the bat are my personal favorites.

Second, I didn't know that about Ronda having bad knees.

Last but not least, back to BJ....I think with Penn as it pertains to his love for stand up, do you guys think other fighters started figuring out that BJ wasn't going to try to take you to the ground so you don't have to worry about it and since he's not a guy who has a laundry list of 1st round KO's, all you'd have to do is weather the first couple rounds and you'd be good to go?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Struve is out of the rematch with JDS at Fight Night 105 with a shoulder injury. It'll be interesting to see who replaces Struve.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    JDS is lobbying hard for Werdum, but he wants no part of it.

Cupboard is pretty bare after that with most of the division booked.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Volkov?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JDS is lobbying hard for Werdum, but he wants no part of it.

Cupboard is pretty bare after that with most of the division booked.
    Yeah Werdum said that he wants more money to take the fight on "short notice". I mean yeah I guess a month+ is short notice compared to 3 months but the guy was already training for a super tough opponent.

That's one thing I really like about fighters like Conor McGregor. He wouldn't go "Ah I can't take that fight I haven't trained for that specific person for the last 8 weeks, can't do it." Naw he'd be like, give me the fookin contract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say the best looking option is to pull Derrick Lewis out of his fight with Browne then have Browne match up with a lower ranked dude.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    JDS should fight Browne, not Lewis imo. Lewis is a surging prospect but I think JDS (especially on short notice) might be too steep of a step.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know man. Lewis has wins over Roy Nelson and Gabe Gonzaga, only 1 loss in like 12 fights. He's 31. He's been in the game a little while, 6-7 years now. I think if he's ready to fight Travis Browne, he's ready for a guy like JDS. They're all going to have to fight each other anyway and losing to JDS isn't as bad as losing to Travis Browne, imo. Browne is still a dangerous dude as well, all HW's pretty much are, but Browne's record isn't that wonderful, nothing to be ashamed about in terms of his losses but still....

WITH THAT SAID...I'd rather see JDS knock out Browne.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I was UFC matchmaker I'd have to go with Lewis for his higher ranking and win streak. Travis Browne needs a win or he's on the brink of release and his legitimacy will be questioned as a challenger so the best bet for him is Lewis or a warm up fight. At least it wouldn't kill Lewis' momentum stone dead if he lost right now whereas Browne would be done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Roy Nelson comes back in March he's no use. Is Ben Rothwell still injured?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Really don't want to waste one of JDS's remaining however many fights left on an immediate rematch with Ben Rothwell.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I mean he put a beatdown on Rothwell in April.

Also, why does Dos Santos barely fight? Holy shit I'm looking at his record, he's fought 6 times in 5 years.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really don't want to waste one of JDS's remaining however many fights left on an immediate rematch with Ben Rothwell.
    I was just wondering which fighters were even fit/available to work around a fight replacement. It wouldn't have to be against JDS, just against whoever lost their opponent to JDS.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I mean he put a beatdown on Rothwell in April.

Also, why does Dos Santos barely fight? Holy shit I'm looking at his record, he's fought 6 times in 5 years.......

When you see his two losses to Cain and his razor thin victory over Stipe it's pretty easy to understand. Those were brutal.

Rush
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeeeesus, that was an execution. BJ looked like the first guy you'd face in an arcade fighting game on your way to the top. As ex-UFC employee Mike Goldberg would say, it's all over.

Lots of curious if not outright wrong judging on the main card hey? The highlight of the night for me was Oleinik's no-gi ezekial choke. If you've ever rolled you know how fucking painful an ezekial choke is and honestly it's something you should not see at the elite level. It's like the omoplata in that it's just a technique which shouldn't work against top level fighters, at least ones who train properly.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wasn't pleasant matchmaking to say the least. Jim Miller, Gomi, Siver or Guida would have made sense as slow guys with a name in the sport who would have been at most a -200 favourite against him. And ideally he would have main evented last FOX against Faber in a real dream match. But no, stick him on a Sunday night against a really fucking talented dude 15 years his younger with a gigantic speed advantage. What else was going to happen? Yair of course benefits from the spotlight and a sitting target to get a stoppage win, but it's snuffed out the Penn name permanently.

Rest of the main card was dull. The heavyweights oddly ended up being the highlight of the card with the eziekal choke, big Walt Harris flattening his man and that absurdly easy mount ground and pound stoppage in the opener.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Just as we expected, ridiculous match-making in the main event. BJ shouldn't have fought anyone more advanced than Denis Siver at this stage. If he wants to fight again they should offer him someone like Gomi. Two formerly great fading legends.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    You could definitely see the fire in BJ's eyes turning to deer in the headlights with every kick he absorbed. I've never even been a BJ fan but that wasn't pleasant to watch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I'm not a particularly big BJ fan but I'm not going to bother watching that after what I've heard.
    Last win over six years ago, four losses and one draw in his last five fights... Jesus man.
    This is not the guy that destroyed Caol Uno in 11 seconds, that's for sure.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Yeah, no need to watch. He ate plenty of head and body kicks in the first, looked completely lost, then he got front kicked in the face in the second and finished on the ground.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm trying to think of a fighter he could fight and beat right now.
    Hmmmm. Someone like Damacio Page would surely be shit enough for him to smash.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    And a FLW.. I'm thinking Siver at 145 or Gomi at 155.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by kangus View Post
    Lots of curious if not outright wrong judging on the main card hey? The highlight of the night for me was Oleinik's no-gi ezekial choke. If you've ever rolled you know how fucking painful an ezekial choke is and honestly it's something you should not see at the elite level. It's like the omoplata in that it's just a technique which shouldn't work against top level fighters, at least ones who train properly.
    This is why I wasn't thrilled about CC taking a short notice fight against Oliynyk when he was only training kickboxing at the time. Dude has 42 submission wins in 62 fights..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OD50 View Post
    And a FLW.. I'm thinking Siver at 145 or Gomi at 155.
    Gomi Vs Penn at this stage would be fucking sad to see. Someone's getting laid out but nobody's coming away looking like a champ.