Page 87 of 91 FirstFirst ... 3757778586878889 ... LastLast

Thread: The UFC Fight Pass Events General Thread

I was watching an interview with him and the oh so beautiful Helen Yee where he said one of the things he started noticing were guys older than him still in the game, guys like Werdum, Dan Henderson, a couple others still out there, getting big fights, sometimes winning big fights, etc. I hope he comes in and gets a W but damn he has a hard test ahead of him. I wasn't too worried about him when he was supposed to fight Denis Siver or even Cole Miller. But the last 2 names, Ricardo Lamas and now Yair, these are some pretty dangerous studs.

So now that we're close, how do we think BJ is going to look this weekend? I honestly think Yair is going to rinse him. Rodriguez is no joke and not exactly the ideal fodder for a return fight from Penn.

Wants vacation in Russia.
    Agreed. Bad fight for BJ; winning doesn't mean much as Yair is not a name, but Yair is a bad dude and will probably light BJ up.

Wants vacation in Russia.
    Quote Originally Posted by percussion13 View Post
    That was an interesting post. As an objective fan i have to say that BJ's infrequency is not the reason that he will never win the 145 crown.

I'd like to see BJ at least get to a title shot. If he wins the belt, great, if not it'd be a feat in itself, how many fighters can say they challenge for 3 titles in the UFC? None that I can think of. But Yair is a different cat, hard to train for guys like him. If BJ gets passed him I wonder who would be next. You have him beat Yair, give him a top 5 guy, then give him a title shot. That's the power of name value. You don't need to go on a 9 fight winning streak. I just don't know if BJ at 145 is going to be anything special though just going off that last fight. That was just pathetic to see. And knowing BJ, he'd want that title eliminator to be against Edgar "I know I can do it a 4th time man I know I can!!"

And I wonder whatever happened to that beef he had with the dude who went to bat for Dolce, what the fuck was that guy's name who wrote that "rhyme" about BJ Penn and BJ flipped his wig over it, challenging him all crazy like. And then the dude, who I don't think has fought in awhile, didn't accept BJ's challenge like a bitch.

Nik Lentz!

Ah that's right. And I guess Lentz did just fight back in September on the undercard of UFC 203 but hadn't fought since December prior to that. A little surprised Lentz v. Penn never came to fruition but the year BJ had with a couple fights not happening for various reasons I guess I see why. Plus it looks like Lentz went back to 155.

No chance BJ beats Yair Rodriguez. The lower weight classes traditionally aren't kind to elder statesmen. Throw in Penn's inexperience at making the weight and fading in so, so many fights, as well as Yair's raw talent, and it's a tough cocktail to overcome. Unless he realises that there's such a discrepancy in speed and versatility on the feet that his gameplan is to grab a kick, get heavy on top and choke him out. When's Penn ever fought like that though, especially lately? If he does just go all Demian Maia on us, he could get a run going, but past history tells us that he's not going to do that.

Fight card sucks compared to the last 2 years in this slot. McGregor/Siver and Cerrone/Henderson 2 years ago, Cruz/Dillashaw and Pettis/Alvarez last year. I guess the proceeding November's/December's didn't have ridiculous stacked PPV's though.

On that note; Bisping/Romero, Aldo/Holloway, Garbrandt/Dillashaw and Cormier/Johnson should all be about ready to go around the same time, so gonna be a couple stacked cards there. And that's without Mighty Mouse, Joanna, Nunes and Miocic defending. If I were a betting man I would say Mouse or Joanna will be defending on FOX in April. If they're on the monthly PPV schedule I'd go April Bisping/Romero and Aldo/Holloway, May in Ohio for Miocic against JDS/Struve winner and Garbrandt/Dillashaw, June would be a Nunes/Mouse double header, then July is Cormier/Johnson with Jones as chief support (Jones/Weidman?). With fights like Mousasi/Rockhold, Edgar/Lamas, Cruz/Rivera, Cerrone/Lawler, Swanson vs. Zombie/Bermudez winner or Rodriguez (or indeed Penn), Alvarez/Johnson etc. sprinkled about, hopefully be a great run between March and July. Just not much til then.

My goodness if Penn had ever bought in to fighting like that in his prime ... to use his standup tactically, adopt a takedown arsenal, and his ground game offensively.

Would have been a real joy to watch.

Thread Information