User Tag List

Thread: THE CONJURING (is not the) SCARIEST MOVIE EVER

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THE CONJURING (is not the) SCARIEST MOVIE EVER

Unbeleivable, unbeleivable. You know im not much into these uh exorcism movies, demonic force movies, in fact im not into scary movies at all. Im not gonna lie to you. I just watched the movie that made The Shining look like an afterschool special and im willing to admit right now that i was alittle bit nervous in this movie because they had shit pop outta the screen like every 5 minutes it would like shake you it would shake you you'd be shook. But i would tell you this right now Not only was it scary it was one of the best movies i ever watched i mean it was just it kept me on the edge of my seat not one point did i want to fast forward there were times i'd rewind the movie, because i had to see what i seen prior to what i just seen, because i was like damn that shit was scary as fuck. Like i said the shining was an all time classic but this made that look like an afterschool special and i used to be terrified of the shining when i was younger i really dont like scary movies. This was one of the top movies i ever watched because it was good i mean it had you on the edge of your seat from the time you put it in nothing but action. Now like i said im not a beleiver in these demonic force movies but let me tell you something if there's a demonic force out there right now thats wants to try and take me over it cant do it because i wont allow it to. But if you want a good movie im talking about the Conjuring on my movie list i give it a 10/10

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    It was one of the better horror movies of recent times, but to say it's the scariest movie ever is laughable.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You must of watched different movie

Alfred doesn't mind... SerialHunter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The movie it's ok, but nothing to scream about, Amytiville, The Exorcist, Rosemary's baby and Poltergeist already did most of the stuff in this movie...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of them movies are nowhere close to The Conjuring

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw this the other day as well (family has been away) and it was fun. Pretty scary to me, it probably helps if you're somewhat Christian since the scariness is based in those beliefs. Flash is definitely a bit overboard here but it was well done for it's genre.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yes, it's certainly the best horror movie of the last few years, possibly the scariest movie I've since since the Ring in 2002. A movie that chills you on the drive home, when you're alone in the dark, simply fascinating. James Wan is a unique talent...wish he'd stick with horror but I know the man deserves the big bucks.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bumping this because I just watched The Conjuring 2.

First off I agree The Conjuring 1 was excellent. Very scary, but more so just very well done. Nothing groundbreaking in terms of the story just a really well written, well shot haunting movie. I'm not a horror fan, but I loved it. So I was psyched for the sequel.

But I thought The Conjuring 2 STUNK. Just real trashy stereotypical horror crap. Cheap scares. Poorly shot. Sappy music. The ghosts and demons were lame. And I'm surprised to see it has an 80% on rotten tomatoes... did people really like it? I give the first one an A and the second one a D.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Conjuring was garbage.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you figure?

Award Winning Radishes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was expecting The Conjuring 2 to be terrible, but actually thought it was decent, just not as well done as The Conjuring. Full of clichés, and the flooded basement thing was lame, but I disagree and thought it was quite well shot, deliberately making it feel quite confined as those houses can be IRL.

Now the spinoff of the first one 'Annabelle', that was utter shite.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Annabelle 2 is getting great reviews so far, hoping it's good as I quite liked the first one.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There were some plot points in The Conjuring 2 that felt dumb (SPOILERS). Like how Bill the ghost said incomplete sentences but then when you combined tape A and tape B and played them at the same time it revealed his hidden message. And how the key to defeating the demon was to just say his name, which thankfully he had told you earlier in the film by having you scratch it in your bible. Also too many scenes that you thought were real that ended up being dreams/visions. And the crooked man that appeared looked like he was straight from Tim Burton's A Nightmare Before Christmas (literally looked like claymation - I know it was intentional but still looked out of place). And the demon looked dumb in his nun costume.

Okay that's the end of my rant. It wasn't a horrible movie but I had a lot of issues with it. Disappointing sequel.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris Jericho had a very interesting interview on his Podcast with the actual sister of the woman The Conjuring is based off of, which was very well done.

That said, The Conjuring is excellent and easily a top 5 of mine in the horror genre.

The Conjuring 2 is fun, but compared to the original, is utter shit. Cheap scares. Cliches. Blah.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked the Conjuring 2 a lot actually. Not as good as the first but still really good.

Award Winning Radishes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    (SPOILERS) And how the key to defeating the demon was to just say his name... in his nun costume.
    Yeah, ok, that was a little underwhelming. I liked how it looked and moved, although not particularly original again, but I don't remember the significance of the nun costume if there was any?

Rethinking how much stock to put into film reviews, for the horror genre at least. The Witch being a recent well-received horror which I did not enjoy or find even remotely scary, but everyone bangs on about it.

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    My question is, Who the fuck was Flashh? Looking at his posts it seems clear he was a sock or something, Hence the ban I guess.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr McGregor View Post
    Yeah, ok, that was a little underwhelming. I liked how it looked and moved, although not particularly original again, but I don't remember the significance of the nun costume if there was any?
    Lorraine said it was dressed as a nun to mock her Christian beliefs. I thought it looked like a spoof character from the "Scary Movie" franchise, or at least something that franchise would easily mock.

The dog transforming into the crooked man was weird. The crooked man was probably the most cringe worthy part, just this big goofy CGI character with a fancy pink hat and pink suit attacking the kid with his umbrella, looking like the koopa troopa from the 90s Mario Bros movie.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    My question is, Who the fuck was Flashh? Looking at his posts it seems clear he was a sock or something, Hence the ban I guess.
    Yea and also this thread made me remember Matty C. Good dude.

Award Winning Radishes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    The crooked man was probably the most cringe worthy part, just this big goofy CGI character with a fancy pink hat and pink suit attacking the kid with his umbrella, looking like the koopa troopa from the 90s Mario Bros movie.
    Would it blow your mind to learn that he wasn't CGI but just a crazily proportioned actor?

Also, it seems like they're doing another spinoff for this crooked man character too. Ugh.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now what, Fro???

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course they're doing a crooked man spin-off, that's the only reason they forced this goofy character into this movie when he had no other reason to be in it. They did the same thing with Annabelle in Conjuring 1 but that didn't come off as ridiculous and out-of-place. Whether or not it was played by a real human it took me out of the movie and did away with any realism that was left. And I know it's a horror movie so who cares about realism but this is supposed to be based on a true story and there's a difference between a demon haunting a house and possessing a child versus a dog transforming like a Go Bot into a cartoon villain.

That actor is cool looking and I don't hate the crooked man as a horror franchise aimed at teens but I don't need them to set it up in the Conjuring movie. Or at least be more subtle with it.

Award Winning Radishes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that's fair enough. At the time I didn't see it as forced or out-of-place because, in the film, it was the demon playing to the imagination of the little boy who would sing that song and play with that zoetrope, which I guess now is in a similar way to the demon dressing as a nun to antagonise the woman. But I totally see how it was presented might've deviated the 'realistic' basis of the film.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm beating up on the film too much at this point but yea, if you had shown me these images before seeing it I would have guessed this was from Tim Burton's next fantasy film, not The Conjuring.

One visual trick I did like in the film was when they were interviewing the girl and they turned away (because the ghost told them he wouldn't talk with them staring at him) and then the focus was on Patrick Wilson and the girl was out of focus in the background and her head gradually changed into Bill's head then back into the girl. Kinda cool.
    Last edited by Fro; July 14th, 2017 at 1:13 PM.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    James Wan is a very talented director, I think he's progressed very well. What did you think of the Insidious films Fro?

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't seen them. I really don't watch too much horror. Maybe I'll watch the first one this Halloween - I know they're supposed to be good.

One reason I like The Conjuring series is that you've got Ed and Lorraine and they're ghostbusters of sorts, strong characters who can fight back against the demons and don't get too rattled. I like that more than when it's just some frightened family getting terrorized.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    Clerk.

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Ahhh, Figures.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solid trailer. I don't think I ever saw the first 2 Annabelle movies but with the Warrens back in the fold I'll definitely watch this.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I'm the only one I know who really enjoyed the first Annabelle film, but the second got more love from people. This looks good too.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Conjuring Universe feels like an easy hook now to make these loosely-connected movies but they've certainly made it work because they keep making them and people want to see them. It feels like they make these films that could easily be one-offs but they have that stuff at the very end that creatively finds a way to tie it all together. The "bigger" sequels obviously have more connective tissue but ones like 'The Nun' are ones that feel like a germ of an idea but they make it work. The Warrens are definitely essential to everything in regards to these movies. As for this actual movie coming out, it feels like they're not going to be in it very much, but that's enough of a hook to get interest going.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I'm the only one I know who really enjoyed the first Annabelle film, but the second got more love from people. This looks good too.
    I think the second got dumped on by critics a little more than the first. I fucking loved the first one. Scared the fuck outta me.