User Tag List

Thread: Wrestlemania Buyrates over the years

Intercontinental Champion StoneColdChris's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wrestlemania Buyrates over the years

Found this on a forum yesterday, thought it make for a good discussion. Really surprised at how 19's is when it has Hogan/Vince, Shawn/Jericho, Lesnar/Angle and Austin/Rock 3.

WrestleMania 1 - 398,000 (Closed Circuit Television)
    WrestleMania 2 - 319,000 (Closed Circuit Television)
    WrestleMania III - 450,000 (Closed Circuit Television) and another 400,000 on PPV
    WrestleMania IV - 175,000 (Closed Circuit Television)
    WrestleMania V - 767,000
    WrestleMania VI - 550,000
    WrestleMania VII - 400,000
    WrestleMania VIII - 360,000
    WrestleMania IX - 430,000
    WrestleMania X - 420,000
    WrestleMania XI - 340,000
    WrestleMania XII - 290,000
    WrestleMania 13 - 237,000 (Lowest Buyrate Record)
    WrestleMania XIV - 730,000
    WrestleMania XV - 800,000
    WrestleMania 2000 - 824,000
    WrestleMania X-Seven - 1,040,000
    WrestleMania X8 - 880,000
    WrestleMania XIX - 560,000
    WrestleMania XX - 1,007,000
    WrestleMania 21 - 1,085,000
    WrestleMania 22 - 975,000
    WrestleMania 23 - 1,250,000 (Former Highest Buyrate Record)
    WrestleMania XXIV - 1,041,000
    WrestleMania XXV - 960,000
    WrestleMania XXVI - 885,000
    WrestleMania XXVII - 1,042,000
    WrestleMania XXVIII - 1,300,000 (Highest Buyrate Record)

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting numbers. Really interesting to see hwo it fluctuates. I've always thought that there had to be something seriously up with 19. Aside from Angle and Lesnar not being draws, which was clear.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    26's is pretty low as well with Shawn/Taker 2, Cena/Batista, and Edge/Jericho.

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cewsh View Post
    Interesting numbers. Really interesting to see hwo it fluctuates. I've always thought that there had to be something seriously up with 19. Aside from Angle and Lesnar not being draws, which was clear.
    To be fair the most heavily advertised match was actually hogan vs mcmahon

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WrestleMania IV - 175,000 (Closed Circuit Television)
    WrestleMania VIII - 360,000
    WrestleMania XI - 340,000
    WrestleMania XII - 290,000
    WrestleMania 13 - 237,000 (Lowest Buyrate Record)

One big thing that emerges it a lot of this has to do with the cycle of the business. Wrestling was down in the mid 1990s and it showed in the buyrates of these shows. Wrestlemania IV's poor performance demonstrates an iron law of the wrestling business: people don't pay for uncertainty. That show had the WWF Title tournament. Even though Hogan and Andre were locked-in to face each other, people didn't want to pay for the show because they didn't know what they were going to get. Same reason Taboo Tuesday/Cyber Sunday always did poorly and same reason King of the Ring never sold very well. 13 featured a weak main event (Sid/Undertaker) with almost no build and a card that had been shuffled around a lot (HBK had the title, vacacted it, then Bret won it, then he lost it to Sid) and it was unclear what the title match was going to be until six days before the show (Sid fought Bret for the title on Raw before the show). XII was the definition of a one-match show (the Iron Man match must have taken up half the wrestling on the show). 11 had Lawrence Taylor in the main event and Diesel in the title match. Neither of those seem like very big draws. 8 is an excellent show, but Hogan's drawing power was definitely on the decline by then.

WrestleMania X-Seven - 1,040,000
    WrestleMania 23 - 1,250,000 (Former Highest Buyrate Record)
    WrestleMania XXIV - 1,041,000
    WrestleMania XXVII - 1,042,000
    WrestleMania XXVIII - 1,300,000 (Highest Buyrate Record)

Interesting that despite the fact that TV ratings are way down from the 1990s peak and so are their overall PPV buys Wrestlemania is stronger than ever. I do feel like they've really gone all out the last few years by bringing in a lot of guys who only work part-time for the show. Rock definitely shows himself to be a major draw. Three of the top five shows featured him either in the main event or hosting the show. 27's card was pretty weak (Miz in the main event) so it's hard to attribute that to anything else.

Also: 19 had a pretty weak build. I can't remember the build to Brock/Angle much at all, which probably says everything about it. Hogan/Vince was a match that no one particularly wanted to see and Hogan's drawing power had pretty much fallen apart by then (you can only stink up the ring so many times before people lose interest). Rock/Austin was just kind of announced and they didn't do much of anything to build it up. Triple H/Booker T gave us racist Triple H. Michaels/Jericho is really the only match that had a proper Wrestlemania build to it. I really like the show other than Triple H going over Booker, but it's not surprising that it didn't draw well.

I feel like they blamed Booker T for it, since he's the only guy who actually got de-pushed afterward. Angle, Lesnar, and Triple H all continued in their roles. Hogan kept feuding with McMahon until he walked out because he thought they were screwing him with his pay-offs. Rock did the Goldberg match and then left to make a movie. Booker dropped out of the main event and ended up with the IC title within a few months.
    Last edited by The Law; February 21st, 2013 at 2:40 PM.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It must be said that a lot of the trouble with the Wrestlemania's from 4-7 or so was related to them trying to go full pay per view and the infrastructure taking time to catch up with them. Obviously WM 4 was a flop regardless, but it's hard to judge the numbers of the early shows before PPV was really an established thing.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    The jump between XIII and XIV is impressive. The WWF did such a great job during that period in between.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to Tyson and a white hot Austin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So strange that the shows from the last few years are drawing much larger numbers than the shows from the Attitude Era bar WM 17. I suppose it can be attributed to Wrestelmania being treated as a much bigger deal recently. The calendar revolves around Mania now, where previously it was the biggest show of the year but not necessarily the presentation it is made into today. I've been watching the Raw's from before WM 15 recently and the build isn't really any different than it would be to any other PPV.

Banned
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I feel bad for Taker. 13 wasn't that bad.

Defiance is a four letter
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVDA View Post
    Shawn Michaels killed that buyrate fucking everyone around with his 'smile'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that Cena/Rock is a much bigger draw than Shawn/Taker, but I feel like the WM 26 buyrate should tell WWE that even if fans loved a match the first time around, they won't necessarily pay to see it again a year later if they are given no good reason to.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M. View Post
    So strange that the shows from the last few years are drawing much larger numbers than the shows from the Attitude Era bar WM 17. I suppose it can be attributed to Wrestelmania being treated as a much bigger deal recently. The calendar revolves around Mania now, where previously it was the biggest show of the year but not necessarily the presentation it is made into today. I've been watching the Raw's from before WM 15 recently and the build isn't really any different than it would be to any other PPV.
    I think the biggest factor is actually international buys. They've expanded worldwide by leaps and bounds in the last 5 years.

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The difference is the expansion of overseas PPV. Of Wrestlemania 17's 1.04 million buys almost 990,000 of them came from North America. Last's year's mania which holds the record only did about 750,000 in North America.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the biggest factor is actually international buys. They've expanded worldwide by leaps and bounds in the last 5 years.

Think I'm right in saying in domestic terms the numbers have been steadily around 700,000 - 800,000 for a while now.

EDIT - Gosh and darn it Frosty.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fucking impressive feat to have 500,000 international buys, by the way.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by DVDA View Post
    Sign of the times. Same with Mania 8, that show was cool as hell but the buyrate was kind of stinky. I'm really surprised that IX and X drew more buys than 8 though.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd assume it would have dipped recently. Just because of people streaming it on the internet or downloading it the next day.

I'd love to know what the buyrates are for PPV's in the UK. Slightly boggles my mind that people pay £15 on top of a subscription of over 40 quid a month to watch something at 1am. Not so much for Wrestlemania but for some of the other ones.

IT'S TIME
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that Cena/Rock is a much bigger draw than Shawn/Taker, but I feel like the WM 26 buyrate should tell WWE that even if fans loved a match the first time around, they won't necessarily pay to see it again a year later if they are given no good reason to.
    I agree 100 percent

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fucking impressive feat to have 500,000 international buys, by the way.
    Check out Rock's international box office numbers. He is a huge star around the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No shit.

UNSTOPPABLE. UNBEATABLE. Judas Iscariot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Yep,its all down to The Rock

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    Yep,its all down to The Rock
    I'd argue the reason they smashed the record last year was due to Rock, yeah.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Id argue he was part of it,but by no means the only reason,besides the previous record was only 50,000 below and the rock had no part in that..in essence the rock can fuck off
    Last edited by Peter Griffin; February 22nd, 2013 at 7:30 AM.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The biggest domestic sales (17) and international (28) and total (28) are all down to him.

Not exactly a coincidence, man. The success of 23 is a bit of a puzzling anamoly, and nothing else comes close.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Certainly hes a big part of it,i just have a problem with "all down to him" part,as if he was the only man involved,i get hes a big draw for a lot of people, but again i dont like that phrase.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Also, what was considered the biggest match of all time at that point (wm18) Hogan vs Rock didnt do particularly well by the previous years standard,and Rock was becoming a bigger star by this point, theres a lot of factors to account for, i think 17 had a solid card, 18 not so much, so i think no matter the star power, you have a decent looking card or else a lot of people wont bother.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you're saying you think Miz/Cena, Taker/HHH, Punk/Orton, and Edge/ADR would have gotten a high buyrate for 27 without Rock?

As for the 23 buyrate, the show had the heavily promoted Hair vs Hair Battle of the Billionaires with Vince and Trump.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    I just fucking said he had a lot to do with it,but that i have a problem with saying it all down to him.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneColdChris View Post
    As for the 23 buyrate, the show had the heavily promoted Hair vs Hair Battle of the Billionaires with Vince and Trump.
    Yeah, that's why I said it's a confusing anomaly Why would 200,000 extra people buy the show just for that? That rest of the card doesn't really hold up, drawing power wise.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, the rest of the card is pretty terrible. Kane/Khali, ECW originials/New Breed, Melina/Ashley, BAD. I wasn't fan of that MITB either, and was disappointed in Benoit/MVP.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that's why I said it's a confusing anomaly Why would 200,000 extra people buy the show just for that? That rest of the card doesn't really hold up, drawing power wise.
    I bought it and it got me back into wrestling after a break just to see Shawn and Taker win the titles...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perfect storm of the Trump involvement, folk curious in the Shawn and Taker title shots, and it coming off a strong run of PPVs going back several months.

Also there was a mega promotion campaign for it. There was 10 posters for the damned thing in Govan of all places. I don't recall a WWE show ever so heavily promoted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just fucking said he had a lot to do with it,but that i have a problem with saying it all down to him.
    Well I mean I guess you can give some credit to Cena. If Rock had been wrestling Cody Rhodes or something, the show wouldn't have done that many buys. But The Rock fucking HOSTED a Wrestlemania and it did near record numbers. It is basically down to him in all fairness.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Wrestlemania 24 only did 1000 buys less than the Wrestlemania Rock hosted,so im guessing that number was 'all down to Floyd Mayweather? Look,just because i cant stand Dwayne doesnt mean im so Bias i cant realize his drawing power, like i said the problem i have is that phrase.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wrestlemania 24 only did 1000 buys less than the Wrestlemania Rock hosted,so im guessing that number was 'all down to Floyd Mayweather? Look,just because i cant stand Dwayne doesnt mean im so Bias i cant realize his drawing power, like i said the problem i have is that phrase.
    Don't underestimate the bump from Taker going after the title. Won it at 23 and 24, which both did huge. You also had what everyone knew would be Flair's final match.

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flair and Mayweather are what drew the numbers for Wrestlemania 24

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to WrestleMania 23. I remember being pumped as hell for Undertaker/Batista. Other than that, I though the ECW Team (Sandman, RVD, Dreamer, Sabu) was cool. Really wanted to see Benoit (I got on TV during his entrance!) and MITB.

But the match order was puzzling. And Cena's entrance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At this point, the brand name Wrestlemania itself is probably good for 800-900,000 buys as long as there is a decent card. It's special attractions like The Rock, Mayweather and Trump that pushes them over a million. So I think it's fair to say the record buyrates can almost entirely be contributed to them.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big Show vs. Floyd seemed like it would be amazing. And it kinda was.

Big Show vs. his entourage should have happened at a SmackDown

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    I thought the reason WM 23 had a big buy as well as the others following was due to opening the PPV to more international customers? I don't see Trump being that big of a draw.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sucks to see that I was at the lowest rated Wrestlemania of all time (WM 13 In Chicago. IL) But whatever, I got to see the Undertaker win his 2nd WWE Championship, Rock Defend the IC title. and witness arguably one of the greatest matches of all time: Hart Vs Austin!
    Last edited by Kimura Kid; February 23rd, 2013 at 4:21 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought Id give this a bump.

Apparently word going around the sheets is that the early estimates for 29 aren't looking too good.

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bryan Alverez is the one who wrote about it

The biggest story to follow going forward is the WrestleMania buyrate. We don't have an official number and it will be months before we do. However, three different sources this week stated that very early estimates do not, in fact, look good, and one number I was given was downright shocking. Keep in mind that a number this far out can fluctuate wildly, sometimes by hundreds of thousands of buys worldwide. One source noted that WWE's own internal projections were lowered substantially in the final week before the show based on the Elimination Chamber PPV number coming in lower than expected.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Don't generally care about buyrates and ratings but would welcome bad news this year. I was somewhat interested in Cena/Rock, enjoyed the match and thought the Trips/Brock feud was good and deserved a rematch too - but it was probably the most predictable Mania ever, the top three matches were still repeat matches between part timers (and Cena/Punk), not to mention the rest of the card being thrown together a little halfheartedly. They didn't go the extra mile this year to make every match feel important like they used to (especially between XX and 26) and there wasn't the usual intrigue. I hope a bad buyrate will encourage them to change things up, make bold decisions that deviate from the usual booking methods and put more effort into establishing new stars.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do wonder what role the whole Raw head writer fiasco played in the feuds not really working out the way they wanted. I really feel like at least 4 matches on that card had the ELEMENTS of a great feud, without it actually translating well on television.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    I hope a bad buyrate will encourage them to change things up, make bold decisions that deviate from the usual booking methods and put more effort into establishing new stars.
    We're talking 2013 PG Era safety first WWE here. The day Impact beats Raw in the ratings we might see some changes being made though..

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The day Impact does a better rating than Raw is the day the seventh seal is opened and the Apocalypse begins.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And considering Impact just did its worst rating ever for a show they hyped as a free pay per view event, I'm not thinking we need to worry about that any time soon.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Pretty much, yeah..

/Point being that pretty much the only thing that could bring some creative change to WWE is as good as impossible, unfortunately. :/
    Last edited by OD50; April 18th, 2013 at 3:59 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought I'd give this another bump, since the official buyrate is out.