User Tag List

Thread: DLC Games

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DLC Games

There have been quite a few killer DLC games that have come out. My fondness of these games sometimes rival that of the AAA $60 blockbusters. I really don't think these games get the love they deserve. Just a thread to discuss these great titles. Or warn us of titles that should be passed over.

What are you playing? What did you play? What are you looking forward too?

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was at a friend's house while playing Bastion. Bastion is an action RPG. In bastion your world has been obliterated, and you are charged with building your area back up (ie your bastion). As you traverse levels you gain new weapons, and upgrades for these weapons. The catch to the weapons is, you can only carry two at a time.

This is a very addictive title, and the controller had to be pried out of my hands. I don't have a 360, but that is what friends are for.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX48y24t9iU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX48y24t9iU[/ame]

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One title I have my eye on for the end of the year is Gotham City Imposters. GCI is a FPS shooter with the characters dressing as Batman(The Bats) and Joker(The Jokerz). The gadgets that have been shown seem pretty cool, and look to set this shooter apart. The latest issue of Game Informer has an expected release time of the end of the year. Hopefully it is the end of this calender year, and not of the fiscal year.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doZiqLzaJ44"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doZiqLzaJ44[/ame]

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never really given these a proper look over so this thread interests me. I really have nothing to add other than hoping that the thread takes off.

Are these the sort of thing you get discounted for being a PS+ member?

On-nO Asscii to Asscii
    If you've got an itch, just go ahead and Miotch it
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all about Super Meat Boy. I'm not very good at it though.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyBm2R4SiFM"]‪Super Meat Boy - Official Trailer 1 [HD]‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

I don't do tricks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had Super Meat Boy on 360, which I sold, and just got it for PC at the weekend there. It's such a cut above, in my book the best platforming game ever, and I feel like I'm going to give myself a hernia with the tension.

I highly recommend Braid, but it's only worth playing if you make yourself get every puzzle piece. It's the hardest ones that make the game.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just beat Bastion a second time to get all the achievements. Such a goddamn good game. I'm half tempted to play it a third time, but will most likely hold off for a while.

Super Meat Boy is great. Barbarically difficult, but that's the beauty of it.

Monday Night Combat is surprisingly good for what it is, despite the multiplayer being kinda glitchy and inconsistent. Matthew and I play it on Live fairly often, so if you have it (or buy it)..

Castle Crasher is magnificent. The art, the music, the design.. it's all great. You'd have to be a dumb, arrogant Canadian who reviews wrestling to not like it. This one gets MY download seal of approval.

Shadow Complex is a fantastic, fantastic throwback to Super Metroid. Everything about it is so well done, and I had an utter blast playing through it and finding all the items and whatnot.

Splosion Man/Ms. Splosion Man if you want a good, fun challenge. Well designed and while frustrating at points, it allows you to skip parts that give you too hard of a time.

Braid is another great puzzle game. Good artwork, makes your brain think a LOT. Some puzzles are very difficult and take time to figure out how to get by, but it's like Portal in the sense that you feel fantastic when you complete the challenge and not just "oh fuck that".

Limbo was very fun. Great atmosphere, challenging but not insane. You die a lot, but that's half the fun. Definitely worth checking out if you like adventure/puzzle games.

Lot of good games out there for download.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fucking Trials, man. Most addicted I have ever been to my own failure and misery.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty C View Post
    Are these the sort of thing you get discounted for being a PS+ member?
    Yes you do get discount through PS+. Right now Limbo is on discount with the plus membership. Anything purchased while in PS+ mode you keep, but any game you get free through PS+ you lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Vice View Post
    Castle Crasher is magnificent. The art, the music, the design.. it's all great. You'd have to be a dumb, arrogant Canadian who reviews wrestling to not like it. This one gets MY download seal of approval.
    I can't recommend Castle Crashers enough. I played co-op online with a couple of friends. We need to go back and finish with the secondary characters we unlocked though. We played through with a friend that insisted on carrying the bear. In Castle Crashers you pick up animals that float around your character's head, and give you a status boost. The bear attacks anyone that is low on health, regardless of them being friend or foe. I thoroughly enjoy this game, but I'm not a wrestling reviewing Canadian.

I have love Bomberman since SNES. It was the sole reason that I purchased a multi-tap for the SNES. I was glad to pick it up as a DLC game in Bomberman Ultra. I love going up to 8 players in a board. It is still easy to pick up and play, and frustrating as hell when you blow yourself up. The Zombie paint mode is a lot of fun as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PSN downloads I have enjoyed:

-Wipeout HD (got me into Wipeout after hating it in the PS1/2 days)
    -Joe Danger (Super Mario 64 on a bike. I'm only half-kidding)
    -Pacman Championship DX Edition (Crack. Don't play this if you are after a 'quick go' game. It'll destroy your life)
    -Peggle (see Pacman)
    -Sam and Max: The Devil's Playhouse (Point'n'Click fun. Some slow parts, but the way it's broken up into 5 chunks is lovely)
    -Aero Racer (PSN Mini - rubbish graphics but so playable it hurts)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Braid is awesome. It has genuinely one of the deepest and most complex stories ever in a game. There are so many ways it can be interpreted and it made me think in ways I never thought before while playing a game, both in the puzzles and the story.

Just bought a 360!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beyond Good and Evil is a very good game. I finally picked it up and I wish I had played this game back in 2003.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Limbo and Scott Pilgrim stand out as particularly strong to me.

Scott Pilgrim really took me by surprise. It's a total throw back to the NES and it designed to be 8-bit-ish but looks drastically better than any NES title. It plays a lot like Double Dragon to me and was just amazing fun for me. You know you love a DLC game when you download DLC for it and complete it out to 100% of trophies without the lure of a platinum.

I downloaded the Turtles in Time Re-Shelled game when I saw it was going to be taken down. I played the demo and didn't care for it, but wound up really liking the full game. The visual style really comes into it's own after the first level which was the demo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone getting Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet? It's out today as part of the Summer of Arcade and looks brilliant. The art style is similar to Limbo in its simplicity and gameplay wise it's a Shadow Complex-esque backtracking when you get new abilities to unlock areas on a map; it also apparently controls a bit like Pixeljunk Shooter. Combining elements of all these games can only be a good thing as I loved them all.

I will, however, wait for a sale. I see no point in getting any XBL content on release (whether it's DLC or Arcade games) when they usually get 33 or 50% off within a few months.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeezaTap View Post
    -Pacman Championship DX Edition (Crack. Don't play this if you are after a 'quick go' game. It'll destroy your life)
    -Peggle (see Pacman)
    I echo Geeza's sentiments immensely. Pacman in particular.

Pacman CE DX Edition scares me. I can sit and lose an hour easily on playing the same board over and over. Pacman CE DX has the same controls as it's predecessor, but makes up new rules in the process. Ghosts will appear asleep along the board. They will not give chase until you travel in front of them. You can have 20+ ghosts on your tail at any minute. Upon eating the power pellet you get to frantically gobble up your line of ghosts before your power runs out. The game is more than ever about the scoreboard. Right before Pacman is about to meet his demise the game will slow down. This gives the player a chance to make the split decision to change his fate. This is just one of the new powers Pacman has at his disposal.

I picked up Best of Solitaire out of the PSN minis section. I just picked it up for the travel to a family get-together. The game packs in 101 different solitaire games. The system was promptly taken away by the girlfriend when we arrived at the destination. While I enjoyed it enough, she drained the battery, and the spare I had in tow. I had the drive back. Her only complaint was that I didn't bring the charge cord so she could play more on the drive back. Not bad for $5

Paper wars Cannon Fodder is another addictive game in the PSN minis section. It is a missile command style game. Enemies appear on the right had of the screen, and you use your cannon on your left side. You control a cursor that appears on the battlefield. You aim and hold the fire button for the blast. The longer you hold the button the larger the payload will be on the blast.

Lobster-Head #1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flower on PS3 remains one of my favourite games of all time - definitely worth a look.

I'm also a huge fan of the PixelJunk Shooter games:

Pretty much all of my favourites have been mentioned already, but I'd highly recommend Castle Crashers, Outland, Joe Danger, Shadow Complex, Bionic Commando ReArmed, Peggle, Pacman Champ Edition Dx and Crash Commando.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crash Commando is free on the PSN now for PS+ subscribers. It takes awhile to get used to, but it's pretty fun.

Lobster-Head #1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, It's a nice Multiplayer shooter on a 2d plane. For those who haven't seen it -S'good fun, especially if you can get it as part of your PS+ sub.

Not something I play often, but when I do; HO HO HO WATCH OUT etc.

dude it's iron man.. man
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just downloaded tales of monkey island all 5 eps... great stuff

Lobster-Head #1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah right!

I actually need to get those at some point.

I downloaded the Demo for 'The Baconing' and didn't like it; so that's my chance at getting all the 'PLAY' games and downloading Payday for free up the swanny.

Getting the new Bloodrayne game next week though, looks incredible.

Lobster-Head #1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah right!

I actually need to get those at some point.

I downloaded the Demo for 'The Baconing' and didn't like it; so that's my chance at getting all the 'PLAY' games and downloading Payday for free up the swanny.

Getting the new Bloodrayne game next week though, looks incredible.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just picked up Doodle Fit on the PSN store from the "minis" section. I was told by a friend that it is also available in the itunes store as well.

Doodle Fit is a highly addictive puzzle game. The game gives you different shapes to build with, and you have to fill a larger predetermined shape with them. (puzzle games always sound bad when explained IMO) The piecies you are given are aligned on the bottom of the screen, and at the top of the screen is the outline of the shape you must make. Beware the song can get stuck in your head for quite sometime(I'm suffering from it now).

game play video
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tozRkFoEERs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tozRkFoEERs[/ame]

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rick View Post
    I just picked up Doodle Fit on the PSN store from the "minis" section. I was told by a friend that it is also available in the itunes store as well.

Doodle Fit is a highly addictive puzzle game. The game gives you different shapes to build with, and you have to fill a larger predetermined shape with them. (puzzle games always sound bad when explained IMO) The piecies you are given are aligned on the bottom of the screen, and at the top of the screen is the outline of the shape you must make. Beware the song can get stuck in your head for quite sometime(I'm suffering from it now).

game play video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tozRkFoEERs
    It's also on Android. I've beaten the first set so far. Fun game.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One title I have my eye on for the end of the year is Gotham City Imposters. GCI is a FPS shooter with the characters dressing as Batman(The Bats) and Joker(The Jokerz). The gadgets that have been shown seem pretty cool, and look to set this shooter apart. The latest issue of Game Informer has an expected release time of the end of the year. Hopefully it is the end of this calender year, and not of the fiscal year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doZiqLzaJ44
    The Beta for this recently went live and it's absolutely fantastic. I love it. It makes such a refreshing change from all of the other FPS games out at the moment, as it's just flat out fun.

Anyone else playing it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpowers_55 View Post
    Beyond Good and Evil is a very good game. I finally picked it up and I wish I had played this game back in 2003.
    Yep, wonderful game. I picked it up back in the day, but I double dipped, and it's still glorious. Beautiful game. I really hope the sequel comes out and has the same spirit and atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
    Braid is awesome. It has genuinely one of the deepest and most complex stories ever in a game. There are so many ways it can be interpreted and it made me think in ways I never thought before while playing a game, both in the puzzles and the story.
    Braid absolutely blew me away. One of those stories where you think you know the deal, and then you get hit with some info that just completely knocks your socks off. The gameplay is very clever too.

I managed to score a free copy of Sequence a little while ago - it's really cool. It's a rhythm rpg - think Guitar Hero x Monster Hunter. Available on XBLA, PSN and Steam I think.

I also picked up a neat adventure game last year called Hydroventure (Fluidity in the US I think). It's a metroidvania style game that has you manipulating H20 in all it's forms - liquid, solid & gas. Very clever, very addictive. Available on WiiWare.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, saw a trailer for I am Alive yesterday - apparently this has moved from a retail release to DD. Still got a cool concept, although they've obviously scaled it back a bit:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YEodSAs[/ame]

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    The Beta for this recently went live and it's absolutely fantastic. I love it. It makes such a refreshing change from all of the other FPS games out at the moment, as it's just flat out fun.

Anyone else playing it?
    I can't get an invite. I have put in three codes that "supposedly" guaranteed that I would be invited to the beta. I noticed that it got pushed back, and I hope that this means that they just need to clean up some things. I am still excited for this game, but with it so close to SSX I don't know how much time I will give to this title.
    Outland

Outland is a platforming adventure game set with a "native" back drop. The main character is having dreams from the past. He goes off in search for an answer. Much like Castlevania, and Metroid you gain power ups as you go along. These power ups help you access areas that were inaccessible before. The boss battles are pretty fun, and the platforming is handled really well.

The game really gets going when you gain the powers of Light and Dark. You can only jump on dark(red) colored platforms when you activate the dark side powers. However, you must activate light powers to defeat dark enemies. The reverse is true for the light. Environment hazards are handled in the same way. You can go through dark hazards while in dark power, and so on.

game play

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fat Princess is a great capture the flag game for PSN.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bump.

Bought Shank 2 the other day, just as much fun as the original Shank with a few more bells and whistles.

Standard 2D beat 'em up that's in the same vein as Metal Slug.

9.99 on PSN, 360 and PC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaJello View Post
    Fat Princess is a great capture the flag game for PSN.
    I've played one game of Fat Princess. It lasted about an hour and neither I or the computer could win, so I quit and haven't touched it since.

Alf
    I played Braid for the first time at the weekend. Utterly fantastic and beautiful. I've got Limbo and Bastion to have a crack at too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Limbo - the best.

Trials HD is excellent as well.

Lightstrom
    These games are just so amazing....

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw this, gave me minor amusement:

World Champion
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I realise it won't be for every one, but Journey is absolutely stunning. I love it. If you played Flower and enjoyed it, most definitely pick up Journey.

Lobster-Head #1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Journey is one of the most satisfying online experiences I have ever had - by that I mean interacting with other folks during the game. Absolutely stunning in every other regard; the art direction, the sound design - it's pretty much perfect.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I couldn't agree more.

It's good to see some Journey love, as even though it's received rave reviews pretty much across the board, I've come across a lot of skeptical people who have said the game is far too short, especially for the £9.99 price tag. But it's so, so much more than that. You can't judge it on it's length (that's what he said), as like you said it's such a stunning and satisfying experience, unlike anything else out there.

Plus, I like to support developers like thatgamecompany because of the time, effort and detail they put into their games. At a time when FPS's, zombie games and the like are flooding the market, thatgamecompany are completely refreshing and they should be commended.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never heard of Journey before, but after reading you guys' thoughts on it, I decided to read more about it and watch a little gameplay. Looks fantastic and very unique/creative.

I imagine I'll be picking this up in the next day or so.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good man.

If you like Journey, Flower is another fantastic game from the same company. I'd really recommend it, plus as it's been out for a while it's a lot cheaper than Journey. It's great to play, especially after a heavy hitting session of the likes of Battlefield 3 or Modern Warfare 3.

I've recently gone back to Flower, having not played it for well over a year, and it's just as good now as it was back then.

I don't do tricks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I highly recommend I am Alive, you can download a demo of it. The climbing stuff at the start of the demo is okay, but once you get into the town everything gets going. A lot of similarities to Silent Hill 1/2, but with other people around. You have a gun with no bullets and have to threaten your way out of a lot of fights and the feeling of protecting yourself against two men who are testing you to see if you're going to shoot or not is great.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard of it, but I've never really looked into it or read too much about it. I'll download the demo and give it a go, as it sounds really interesting. And I absolutely loved Silent Hill 1 & 2, so if it's anything like that I'll definitely be buying it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Journey has been purchased, and is currently installing. I have the night to myself, so I'll probably put in a good chunk of time tonight. Very much looking forward to it, and I'll post some thoughts on it a bit later.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This game is spectacular so far. It's stunning to look at, and everything is so elegant in its simplicity.

About 20 minutes in, I came across my very first co-op buddy, and it was.. exciting. I loved just roaming the desert with him. He dropped out, and about 10 minutes later I came across another one. It's so great that they kept gamertags off. A tag over the dude's head saying "SN1P3urNUTZZZ193" would kill the experience. And in what has got to be one of my favorite gaming experiences in a looooong time, the second guy walked up to me and said "hi" via MUSICAL MORSE CODE. I fired a "hi" right back at him. He responded with "Dan". I chirped my name out, and then we flew around the desert together.

Fucking broke my heart when he said bye later on.

DAAAAAAAAN!!!!

Beautiful game. Love everything about it so far.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vice View Post
    And in what has got to be one of my favorite gaming experiences in a looooong time, the second guy walked up to me and said "hi" via MUSICAL MORSE CODE. I fired a "hi" right back at him. He responded with "Dan". I chirped my name out, and then we flew around the desert together.

Fucking broke my heart when he said bye later on.

DAAAAAAAAN!!!!

Brilliant.

I'm really glad you're enjoying it so much, mate. I knew you would.

Flower is on sale at the moment on PSN, which is also beautiful and a fantastic experience. I highly recommend it, especially at that price. If you're a PS+ subscriber, then it's definitely an absolute no-brainer.

flOw is also on sale. I've not seen too much of it, and it's not meant to be as good as Flower or Journey, but at less than £2 I'm definitely going to pick it up, as everyone at thatgamecompany are just wonderful human beings.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rogerer View Post
    I highly recommend I am Alive, you can download a demo of it. The climbing stuff at the start of the demo is okay, but once you get into the town everything gets going. A lot of similarities to Silent Hill 1/2, but with other people around. You have a gun with no bullets and have to threaten your way out of a lot of fights and the feeling of protecting yourself against two men who are testing you to see if you're going to shoot or not is great.
    I Am Alive finally has a release date for PSN. It's coming April 4th. I've been watching some 360 game play footage on YouTube and I'll definitely be picking this up day one; it looks great.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done a lot of reading about Journey the last few days and have decided that over the next weekend at some point I'm going to shut the curtains, power up the gaming headphones and play it through. I'm intrigued by what it'll be like.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have played Fez and I highly recommend it. I will be picking up SkullGirls, and The Walking Dead(not featured) soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought Skullgirls was terrible personally. I played the trial, and it's just an awful Street Fighter clone, IMO.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
    I thought Skullgirls was terrible personally. I played the trial, and it's just an awful Street Fighter clone, IMO.
    That sucks to hear that. For $15 and a short cast, I was hoping for something really good. I really liked the idea that they put in a combo breaker to be used against people who spam moves.
    +++++++++++++++++++

I played The Walking Dead demo, and there isn't near enough to whet your appetite. It plays kinda like heavy rain. You move your character, and then move your cursor over items. The controller seems to add a little more urgency to tense situations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By all means, give it a shot. I just didn't like it myself. The gameplay was familiar enough, but I didn't really like the art style.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see why someone wouldn't be a fan of it, but personally I loved the first episode of The Walking Dead. I really like the art style in particular; it kinda reminded me of Borderlands, which I also really enjoyed. I guess it also helps that I absolutely loved Heavy Rain as well.

We haven’t become anything — we simply are as we are
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    I just played the first episode as well, thought it was brilliant and can't wait until there is more released.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdestiny View Post
    I just played the first episode as well, thought it was brilliant and can't wait until there is more released.
    I broke down and got the episode 1-5 pack. Basically you get one of the episodes free. I probably won't find time for it till this weekend though.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdestiny View Post

I love how you have to make decisions throughout, sometimes difficult decisions that have repercussions over the course of the entire five episode game. It's made even better by the fact that you don't have much time at all to make your decision, ensuring your answer is as true as possible.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TRIALS: EVOLUTION is like, really awesome. they took the first game and somehow made it even better.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Skullgirls Getting Cross-Platform PC/PS3 Play
    By Owen Good May 6, 2012 3:00 PM
    kotaku link

This was somewhat lost in the shuffle of Wednesday's announcement that Skullgirls, the 2D fighter currently available on PlayStation Network and Xbox Live, would be getting a PC version. The game's official Twitter feed says that PC and PS3 gamers will be able to play together thanks to cross-platform compatibility, but it won't be implemented "until a few months" after the PC version releases.

This was in response to a question as to whether Skullgirls would use Games For Windows Live. If it's cross-platforming with the PS3, then "definitely not GFWL," the game's makers said. So that is a double dose of good news for fans of the fighter.
    I'm leaning back towards getting this.

I picked up The Walking Dead and played through chapter one. I found it engrossing, and very fun. Game play is similar to Heavy Rain. You control your character with one analog stick and use the other to "look" at items in your vicinity. The controls seem to make key parts more urgent. Paying attention is key as well. While talking to people you can be clued into some helpful suggestions. you will have to make quick decisions in the game that will affect your game play later.

The game is set as a prequel to the events in the book. It is nice that there are cameos of characters that are in the story from the books. After just the first episode I'm hooked.

P.S. for all of you PS3 trophy whores
    You get a trophy for each section of a chapter you complete, and there is a platinum to be had after completing all sections from all 5 chapters.
    (I don't know about xbox achievement points. I imagine it is similar, but if someone could shed light on this by all means)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never mind, I figured it out.
    Last edited by Olympus; May 7th, 2012 at 8:29 AM.

I don't do tricks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also if you're a fan of wood it looks like there's a lot of wood in the game.

Everybody should buy Fez. It looks like it's a game about jumping to collect cubes, except it's not about that at all.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok chaps. I have a PS3 and I want a DLC game from PS Network.

I like RPGs (moreso the old school ones but any) or sports franchise management style ones like where I can build squad and what have you. It doesnt have to be a real sport like speedball style.

I will take anything if recommended enough but please note I cant stand shooting things an 95% of the games on there same to be based around shooting zombies.

Cheap stuff is also nice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    Ok chaps. I have a PS3 and I want a DLC game from PS Network.

I like RPGs (moreso the old school ones but any) or sports franchise management style ones like where I can build squad and what have you. It doesnt have to be a real sport like speedball style.

I will take anything if recommended enough but please note I cant stand shooting things an 95% of the games on there same to be based around shooting zombies.

Cheap stuff is also nice
    If you like old school RPG's, I'd actually check out the PS1 classics library on PSN. There's a ton of good stuff in there, and there's bound to be something you haven't played, or would like to re-visit. The graphics don't hold up of course, but you get accustomed to it quickly.

Also check out Valkyria Chronicles (the first one, NOT the second one, which blows and is on PSP anyway) if you can find a cheap copy. Not really an RPG, but it's a great strategy game with that JRPG art and feel to it. Secretly one of the best games on PS3 imo.

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had no idea any of these games existed. I thought PSN only had old PS1 games and the like. I'll be checking Flower, Braid and Journey out soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle_242 View Post
    Also check out Valkyria Chronicles (the first one, NOT the second one, which blows and is on PSP anyway) if you can find a cheap copy. Not really an RPG, but it's a great strategy game with that JRPG art and feel to it. Secretly one of the best games on PS3 imo.
    I've had Valkyria Chronicles sitting on my shelf for almost a year now. For some reason, I can't get it to crawl up my backlog, despite most people saying it's the most amazing thing ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fez got me really excited although i was let down in the end by some of the solutions. I think I expected them to have a certain elegance that they lacked. In particular the system of numbers is pretty silly.
    You know what I like? Arrested Development.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is only confirmed for the US so far but there's a big sale on the Pixeljunk games for PS3 on now with most of them selling for just $0.99 - full details here. I've only played Shooter but I can highly recommend it for such a good price.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is Fat Princess any good? It's on sale at the moment.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    Is Fat Princess any good? It's on sale at the moment.
    It is good, but there are so many more experiences on PSN that are better. How much of a sale is it?

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    £3.99 for the game or £6.50 for the game + add ons. So less than half of what it was the last time I looked.

I downloaded the demo a year ago but never got around to playing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought it when it first came out. It was fun, but couldn't really hold my attention for very long.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't a huge fan. Matches went on too long for me.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guacamelee
    by Steve Watts, Apr 13, 2012 2:15pm PDT
    shack news link

Guacamelee is difficult to describe; it's not so much a singular, vital concept as it is a pastiche of various gameplay mechanics and influences. This approach could easily make for a hot mess, but a brief look at the game shows plenty of potential in the ideas coalescing into a whole game that is both fun and funny.

The plot focuses on Juan Aguacate, a luchador who sets out to save the daughter of El Presidente from the evil El Charro. The focus on Mexican wrestling means it's often a melee brawler in the style of classic beat-em-ups. Slathered on top of that like a fine 7-layer dip is the so-called "Metroidvania" elements. My time with the game at PAX East 2012 was a fairly straight-forward set of introductory areas, but I was assured that the full game will feature a larger map with more emphasis on exploration and opening new pathways.

"Luchador meets Metroid" is a novel enough concept, but the game isn't finished mixing in disparate elements just yet. Beating enemies grants XP for upgrades. At the moment, that manifests itself as health boosts, but Drinkbox is considering purchasable upgrade paths. The game features 2-player offline co-op, and XP is shared among the players so one isn't left behind if they join the drop-in play midway through.

Finally, Juan and his co-op partner can switch between dimensions -- an enemy might be an invincible white shadow in one plane, but vulnerable in the other. When enemies from more than one plane appear at once, the game becomes more complex as the player is forced to dodge both enemies while swapping between the two dimensions to deal damage.

What may be most impressive about this hodge-podge of concepts is how Guacamelee feels like it owns them all. It's openly borrowing from various sources, but it puts its own stamp on the proceedings so well that it doesn't ever feel derivative or forced. The writing was genuinely funny, the cheeky references were well-placed, and the combat system is easy to pick up and intuitive. Drinkbox hasn't given release details yet, but it's certainly one wrestling match to watch.
    Rev3Games PAX video of Guacamelee

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rev3Games look at Mark of the Ninja

This game has piqued my interest a bit.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally picked up Journey. It really is an amazing experience. The ambiance and the world around you take your mind to areas few games do. I have played through the first three sections, and picked up a friend along the way. Communication was used through the chirps that are available. I have to admit it was a sad good bye when I realized that his rhythmic beeping was a way of saying good bye. I don't know who you were, but I'll miss you.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's an awesome experience. I think I'm going to run through it again soon.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guacamelee! Coming to PlayStation 3 and Vita
    We knew it existed. Now we know where it’s headed.
    IGN link
    by Colin Moriarty May 30, 2012

DrinkBox Studios has a hardcore following on the PlayStation Network. Its two previous games, the PS3 title Tales From Space: About A Blob and the PS Vita game Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack generated a sufficient amount of buzz to garner additional money from Sony to keep the games coming. The result is the developer’s next project, Guacamelee!.

We’ve known about Guacamelee! for a little while, but we didn’t know which platforms it would end up on. But today, Sony announced that Guacamelee! is set to come exclusively to PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita.

Graham Smith, DrinkBox Studios’ COO, has more to say. “Set in a world inspired by Mexican culture, Guacamelee! features a down-on-his-luck agave farmer named Juan Aguacate, who sets out to save the world when El Presidente’s Daughter is kidnapped by an Evil Charro Skepeton. The story takes place in and around a small village in Mexico, and has the player travelling through “The World of the Living” and “The World of the Dead” on his quest to rescue the girl he loves.”

Smith describes the game as one that supports co-op multiplayer (but can be played on your lonesome) and is a “dimension-swapping Metroid-vania beat-em-up platformer.” The PS3 and Vita versions of the game will have “special features” outlined at a later time.

The release window for Guacamelee! is unknown, though DrinkBox Studios is set to show-off the game next week at E3. Obviously, we’ll be there and will have hands-on impressions.

The game play reminds me a lot of Outland from last year. That isn't a bad thing at all. I put Outland among the top 3-5 DLC games of last year.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nights Into Dreams will receive downloadable HD remake this fall
    gamespot link
    By Connor Sheridan July 5, 2012 10:16AM PDT

Xbox Live Arcade, PlayStation Network, Windows release will have updated graphics as well as original Saturn mode.

The long night is finally over for fans of Nights Into Dreams. The 1996 Sega Saturn cult classic is receiving an HD remake for PlayStation Network, Windows, and Xbox Live Arcade this fall, according to a Sega blog post.

The original 3D game featured acrobatic maneuvers through fully polygonal environments and was made to take advantage of the Saturn's analog controller. It will be updated with HD graphics, leaderboards, and trophies and achievements. The game will also be playable in Saturn mode using the same graphical assets from the 1996 release.

“We’ve gotten a lot of requests about this game over the years and are very happy to be able to give both former Saturn owners and new players a chance to play it in its most beautiful form to date this fall," said Chris Olson, Sega's vice president of digital business.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a little over a year old now, but have any of you played Puzzle Dimension? If not, I really recommend it if you're into puzzle games. I picked it up earlier in the week as it's only £1.99, which is ridiculous given how many hours of game play it offers, and it's got good reviews - 79/100 on Metacritic.

It's unique, challenging, rewarding, very addictive and the graphics are pretty great as well.

Here's a quick review to give you an idea on how it plays:

You didn't see me, right? HHHnFoley_Rulez's Avatar
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks very similar to a game that used to be on the Playstation aaaaaaages ago.. Caaaalllleedd..... *thinking time added* Kula World (thanks Google).

World Champion
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, when I was looking around for reviews and reading about the game, I noticed a number of people saying the same thing about it being very similar to Kula World. I never played that on the PlayStation; to be honest I hadn't even heard of it until the other day, but having watched videos of it on YouTube I wish I had heard of it back then.

Just done a quick search on Google and it turns out the designer of Puzzle Dimension co-founded the company that developed Kula World, so there you go.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sound Shapes(PS3, Vita)

Sound shapes takes three ideas, while not new, combine to make an addictive and charming game. There are a lot of high notes with this title.

At its core Sound Shapes is a platformer in the vein of Super Meat Boy. You control a little ball and progress through levels. In your normal for you ball sticks to surfaces no matter the angle. Upon pressing the square button you reduce your form, and pick up speed. Doing this takes away your sticky ability, and there are many objects you can't stick to. These are fairly obvious when playing. There are enemies that can hurt you, and surfaces that will kill you. Theses are colored red. You can not mistake these. RED.

In the main campaign there are five albums which are the “worlds” of this game. Each album has tracks. The tracks are the individual levels. While traversing levels there are little orbs to pick up. As each orb is picked up it adds something to the level music being played. It sounds simple in explanation, but in practice it truly makes the game. Each level is made by artists. Deadmau5 and Beck are some of the contributing artists. The Beck level for example, uses visible lyrics as hints on how to play the level, then the lyrics turn into platforms used to make it through the level.

As you beat the levels you are shown how many of the orbs you picked up, and how fast you finished the level. This lends itself to those that love speed running through platform games. There are leader-boards for scores, but as of this time the servers are not working.

Completing the tracks(levels) unlocks items to use in the game's level editor. Completing the album unlocks the songs and beats for use in the music maker. The music maker and level editor are merged into one organic spot. There is a tutorial on making levels, and once completed you should be able to make some good, if not impressive levels. The levels can be shared once server problems have been resolved. Just like Little Big Planet, this game has the potential to have unlimited re-play value.

This game is really drawing me in, but I'm a platforming fan. I will take a Super Mario, Tomba!, or Donkey Kong Country over the Modern Warfares and Skyrims any day of the week. I'm weird like that. Queasy Games took a platforming game mixed it with a music creator and a level editor. What emerged is a very addictive take on the platforming genre.
    Last edited by The Rick; August 12th, 2012 at 12:59 AM.

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    So I had pretty much given up on the music game genre about 2 years ago but before that I was really into it. As part of that I had my fair share of Rock Band DLC. Now part of the reason why I stopped playing is because i moved to a condo and didn't have the space for Rock Band, also didn't have anyone to play with.

Why all the intro? Because this week Rock Band Blitz was released and it has allowed to rekindle my love affair with music games. It's the familiar tracks that you're used to seeing however you're in control of every instrument and the vocals. Now to balance that there are only two buttons and you use a regular PS3 or Xbox controller. I'm really enjoying it. My RB and RB2 discs are not with me but when I pick them up I'll have even more songs to play along to. It's great to be able to use those many DLC songs that I spent money on again.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's pretty much Rock Band Frequency/Amplitude, isn't it?

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Yup pretty much. And that's a good thing.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hell yeah it is. Frequency and Amplitude kicked ass.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sound Shapes game play video

Hills N' Spills

Beck level "Cities"
    (if you plan to get this game don't watch. This will ruin it for you)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MARK OF THE NINJA - Xbox Live Arcade

Awesome, awesome game. It's $15, I think, and worth every penny. It's pretty long, too. It took me at least 10 hours to beat it, and I plan on going back and finding all the hidden stuff and upping my level scores. Also, there's New Game+ once you beat it, which makes it a bit more difficult from what I've played of it so far.

Download the demo at the very least.

So far this is my game of 2012.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guacamelee!

Think 2D Metriod re-skinned with lucha motif. Damn good adventure platformer. PS+ members get a sizable discount for the first week.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    It got some great reviews.

I bought it for Vita but I've been catching up on TV shows today so haven't had a chance to really get into it yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think 2D Metriod re-skinned with lucha motif.
    If you put Vice in a blender I'm pretty sure this is what would come out.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man Guacamelee is really challenging my platforming skills. They haven't been put to the test in a while. Little Big Planet games have floaty controls, and thus give you more room for error. Very early in Guacamelee you are using half and 3/4 jumps. I'm not even half way through, but I have cool abilities and fought some cool enemies. There are references to other platforming games all through the game.

dude it's iron man.. man
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im enjoying terraria on the pc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man Guacamelee is really challenging my platforming skills. They haven't been put to the test in a while. Little Big Planet games have floaty controls, and thus give you more room for error. Very early in Guacamelee you are using half and 3/4 jumps. I'm not even half way through, but I have cool abilities and fought some cool enemies. There are references to other platforming games all through the game.

Tremendous game - finished it over the weekend.

I wish all games had Cross-Buy and Cross-Save, it's a revelation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've gotta agree with the Guacamelee love in here, what a lovely little game! The platforming has been surprisingly challenging at parts - the light/dark worlds and double jumps followed by uppercuts have led to several bits that I've found fairly tricky to pull off. The combat is a little simple but its still enjoyable and the game has an incredible amount of charm with outstanding art and a decent amount of humour. Easily the best download only game I've played since the Walking Dead so I highly recommend it .

dude it's iron man.. man
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i just got super meat boy... bit late good game

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah. Never too late to experience a good game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm gonna cast a vote for The Cave. A lot of puzzles, and quite a bit of simple platforming (okay a bit of platforming), just a fun time-waster. My wife bought her copy for the Wii originally, and then I happened to hit the PS store..and lookie what I got for a freebie

I haven't compared the two deeply, but I'll say it doesn't look like much difference between the two graphically.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gamespot link
    By Dan Chiappini July 1, 2013 6:36PM PDT

The Walking Dead: 400 Days release date announced
    Bridging episode to go on sale this week for $4.99; decisions made in 400 Days will impact season two.

Last month, during the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3), Telltale Games confirmed its plans to release The Walking Dead: 400 Days, a bridging episode between the first and second seasons of its hit episodic adventure game.

Today, the company confirmed that the additional chapter will launch on selected platforms this week, landing first on the North American PlayStation Network on July 2, Steam and the Telltale Games Store on Wednesday July 3, and worldwide on Xbox Live from July 5. European PlayStation owners will be able to download the game from July 10, while the iOS version will launch globally on July 11.

The game takes place over 400 days in the same time period as the first season, but will not focus on Lee or Clementine. Instead, the game will be split into five short stories, each from the perspective of a different, new character in the universe. Players who have an existing save file from the first season will have their decisions carried over, while all choices made in 400 Days will also impact the upcoming second season, which will begin later this year.

The Walking Dead: 400 Days is not included in the original season pass, and will cost around $4.99. The game will be available on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC, Mac, iOS, and, for the first time, Sony's PlayStation Vita handheld.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

old video, but very relevant. From the looks of the launch line up from Xbox one, and PS4 there stands to be some quite a few DLC games to play.