Page 55 of 66 FirstFirst ... 52545535455565765 ... LastLast

Thread: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim...

As far as I know PS3 was the worst hit?

I had no knowledge of Elder Scrolls and am a legendary RPG hater and I adore Skyrim. Go for it.
    You know what I like? Arrested Development.

I'd say it is definitely quite easy to get into Skyrim without knowing the lore. A quick look over a Wiki will give you the info on what happened in the previous games but Skyrim is so far removed from them that it's not important to know, and you learn a lot organically as you move through the landscape and the main quests. Last I heard the PS3 was the most glitchy version, though, due to the memory issue that will make it eventually chug at a really low framerate. Not sure how badly that affects people now though.

Rajah Lottery Winner Judas Iscariot's Avatar
    Play Dark Souls instead.

Beefy: I'm on ps3and have no big problems. The usual stuff - like in their other games - where it will occasionally freeze; but I've had no real lagging. I think all the patches they've released seem to have sorted out the problem. My save files are up to 13mb and are fine, where 10mb was meant to be the point of desperate lagging.

And I never played a game until the last one, Oblivion, and don't think I've missed out on much because of it.

I reckon you should get it. Great value for money - if you have the time to put into it.

I ate them before they ate me El Capitano Gatisto's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Judas Iscariot View Post
    Play Dark Souls instead.
    I agree with this. Skyrim was absorbing for a bit as a world to explore but ultimately a disappointing experience as a game. Combat is woeful and makes up the main part of the game. Everything else is fiddly window dressing and the game is let down massively by this fundamental flaw. There are other issues (permanent mission or game-glitching bugs for example) but that is the main one.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    Started thinking about picking up Skyrim. Is it easy to get into if you've not got any knowledge of the series/genre? Also, does the PS3 version have any of the graphical issues which seem to have plagued the PC version?
    I played on PS3 and had very few issues. I think twice it crashed.

As for knowledge of the series, it's irrelevant. It's not like one linear story, it's kind of like dipping into a vast history at various interesting/important points in that history. It would be like having game one in the series be the Battle of Hastings, then the next one being the Wars of the Roses. I played Morrowind back to front and there are occasional allusions to it, in books or little things people mention that gave me a little nostalgic feeling but nothing crucial whatsoever.

Plus reading all the in-game books to get a general sense of the history is kinda cool.

I got back into this in a major way last weekend. I am rolling with a mage this time around and I still need to do the DB and TG missions. At the moment I am liberating Skyrim from the evil empire.

I love luring a dragon or giant to a Stormcloak fort and letting my buddies do the killing for me.

Yeah I'm due to start a new game soon, possibly this weekend. Looking forward to trying things a bit differently, I was very much a sword and shield sort of character first time out, although I did use destruction and healing spells from time to time as well. I barely even went near Enchanting or Alchemy, so I'd like to take the time to understand how to enhance those skills. It all just seems so time consuming.

I've been getting back into this as well, after I finally got it to stop crashing. I'm enjoying taking my time with the Thieves Guild, doing odd jobs for them as I rebuild their reputation and taking on whatever sidequests might be along the journey. I worry that my extensive mods have managed to bugger the game up a little bit though - I'm suddenly unable to mount a horse, time doesn't pass when I fast travel and when I'm indoors I usually have to use magic to see anything because it's so gloomy. I've turned off any mods that I could conceive of being responsible (and weirdly these glitches just started randomly after I hadn't installed any new mods for a while), but the problems persist. I've been thinking of starting a new game with a new character and I'm wondering what mods everybody else is using. I'm thinking of trying to cultivate some kind of medieval Batman character - an obscenely wealthy recluse who fights crime and necromancy under the guise of a super hero. Any ideas on what kind of mods might suit that? There are a few nice mansions I see, for one, and I'd be interested in knowing if anybody else has tried to set up a particular kind of character to roleplay with.
    Once more, The Mike has been published.

Read more @ The Mike Writes...

Thread Information