User Tag List

Thread: Football books

Simon

Football books

Any of you fags recommend a good book for me to read? Provided You Don't Kiss Me is a great read, the history of Brian Clough by one of the men who knew him best.

Andy
    Get Stelling's book, it's great.

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'The Italian Job' by Gianluca Vialli and Gab Marcotti is the best football book I've read.

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Italian-Job-Gianluca-Vialli/dp/0553817876/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1280683743&sr=1-1"]The Italian Job: Amazon.co.uk: Gianluca Vialli, Gabriele Marcotti: Books[/ame]

The Beast From Belarus Hlebsfall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nepal
    The Garrincha one where it tells you about how he used to fuck goats.

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garrincha-Triumph-Tragedy-Forgotten-Footballing/dp/0224064339/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1280685387&sr=1-1"]Garrincha: The Triumph and Tragedy of Brazil's Forgotten Footballing Hero: Amazon.co.uk: Ruy Castro, Andrew Downie: Books[/ame]

Classy new Stevie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you never read "addicted" then its worth a look. Even though he was a goon cunt and is now a complete joke.

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Addicted-Tony-Adams/dp/0002187957/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1280686775&sr=1-1"]Addicted: Amazon.co.uk: Tony Adams, Ian Ridley: Books[/ame]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Roy Keane one is pretty good. I made this thread a few years back and got some decent recommendations, just never followed up on enough of them.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Top Boys is an interesting read too if you are at all interested in the hooligan culture.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Penthouse-Pavement-Survive-Football-Mainstream/dp/1840182199/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1280700957&sr=1-1"]Penthouse and Pavements by Bill Leckie.[/ame] Basically about how money men and the football press are all cunts...

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Season-Verona-Illusions-National-Character/dp/0099422670/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1280701036&sr=1-1"]A Season With Verona[/ame]
    Very famous football book, great read too.

Hell is for Heroes Second City Saint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm currently reading The Ball is Round by David Goldblatt. It's probably a bit more of a historically based than you're looking for, but it's quite thorough.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ukraine
    Passavotchka (spelling might be iffy) - The story of Dynamo Moscow's 1945 UK tour

Futebol - Book about Brazilian football and culture together

Morbo - The story of Spanish football

The Goalkeeper's history of Britain - More memoirs than football, but not a bad read.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul McGrath's book is excellent.

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Robbie Savage has an autobiography coming out this month. Should have a few decent anecdotes in. He had a Q&A at a pub in Blackburn last year and certainly told a good yarn.

I ate them before they ate me El Capitano Gatisto's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Football Against The Enemy by Simon Kuper is a very good read. I read it years ago when I was 15/16, I fancy digging it out again. It's probably worth checking out other work by Kuper as well. Barca: A People's Passion by Jimmy Burns is also a great read, basically a history of the first 100 years of FC Barcelona. The Ball is Round: A Global History of Football is good too, but I dip in and out of it. Haven't finished it completely yet as it is a very comprehensive global history of football i.e. the early years in all continents, tactical developments, history of competitions and their origins etc. Very meticulous, excellently written but it is a dense book (incidentally Tim Vickery rates it as the best book on football ever written and he probably has read most of them).

Jonathon Wilson has written a book about tactics called Inverting the Pyramid: A History of Football Tactics and another called Behind the Curtain: Travels in Eastern European Football. I haven't read either but I think his columns in the Guardian are excellent so will probably check them out.

Left Foot in the Grave by Garry Nelson is another class book, basically a diary of Nelson's first season as a player-manager at Torquay in the 3rd division. He wrote an earlier book too called Left Foot Forward: A Year in the Life of a Journeyman Footballer which is supposed to be good as well.

As for autobiographies, I've read Kevin Keegan's, Jack Charlton's, Roy Keane's, Paul McGrath's and Alex Ferguson's. All pretty interesting, I think the 3 Irish-related ones were best but they may just be the ones I had most interest in.

Simon
    I dunno if I could deal with McGrath's from what I've heard of it. I'll give that Verona book a go soon, it's back home in London somewhere but I'll dig it out.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Capitano Gatisto View Post
    Jonathon Wilson has written a book about tactics called Inverting the Pyramid: A History of Football Tactics and another called Behind the Curtain: Travels in Eastern European Football. I haven't read either but I think his columns in the Guardian are excellent so will probably check them out.
    I have just bought Behind The Curtain now as you mentioned it here. Ill let you know how it is.

Dynamo is a good book. About Dynamo Kiev in the communist era and the problems they faced.

Simon
    If you're a real nerd like me, Why England Lose is fascinating reading. It boils every element of football down to statistical probabilities. A lot of is quite hard going but some bits are riveting. The explanation of the Champions League final shootout between Chelsea and United is incredible and shows the depth of scouting that goes on with the top clubs.

At last, football has its answer to Freakonomics, The Tipping Point and The Undercover Economist. "Why do England lose?" "Why do Newcastle United always buy the wrong players?" "How could Nottingham Forest go from winning the European Cup to the depths of League One?" "Penalties - what are they good for?" These are questions every football fan has asked. Why England Lose answers them. It brings the techniques of bestselling books such as Freakonomics and The Undercover Economist to bear on our national sport. Written with an economist's brain and a football writer's skill, it applies high-powered analytical tools to everyday football topics. Why England Lose isn't in the first place about money. It's about looking at data in new ways. It's about revealing counterintuitive truths about football. It explains all manner of things about the game which newspapers just can't see. It all adds up to a new way of looking at football, beyond cliches about "The Magic of the FA Cup", "England's Shock Defeat" and "Newcastle's New South American Star". No training in economics is needed to read Why England Lose. But the reader will come out of it with a better understanding not just of football, but of how economists think and what they know.
    Can't recommend it enough.

The Rosk
    McGrath's is good. Just utterly mental. I actually found his upbringing to be one of the most interesting I've read from an autobiography in my time on this Earth reading literature. Don't know why you wouldn't be able to "cope" with it, you fucking twat.

Garrincha's is good too, as someone said.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    If you're a real nerd like me, Why England Lose is fascinating reading. It boils every element of football down to statistical probabilities. A lot of is quite hard going but some bits are riveting. The explanation of the Champions League final shootout between Chelsea and United is incredible and shows the depth of scouting that goes on with the top clubs.

Can't recommend it enough.
    "How could Nottingham Forest go from winning the European Cup to the depths of League One?"

What was the answer to this question???

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony Adams is very interesting - although probably not for a Spurs fan.

Clough's first autobiography where he was still drinking and blamed Liverpool fans for Hillsborough is good. I think he calls Justin Fashanu a poof in that one too.

I echo who said about McGraths. And Rodney Marsh. Get that one.

I clearly like reading about footballers who drink excessively it seems.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by Star fruit surf rider View Post
    "How could Nottingham Forest go from winning the European Cup to the depths of League One?"

What was the answer to this question???
    Probably "Forest are and were nothing without Clough". And don't have a go at me because you know it's true

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably "Forest are and were nothing without Clough". And don't have a go at me because you know it's true
    We have still finished 3rd in 1995 which is higher than you have since the 60's - as I have pointed out before...

The Rosk
    Yo Red Dog. Do you want in on the Game of Death? Seems like you will be sticking around.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by Star fruit surf rider View Post
    We have still finished 3rd in 1995 which is higher than you have since the 60's - as I have pointed out before...
    And if Des Walker hadn't been so bloody useless you might have won a trophy in that time as well

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And if Des Walker hadn't been so bloody useless you might have won a trophy in that time as well
    In what time?

Clough retired in 1993, the Cup final was 1991.

What 'time' are you talking about Simon???

You really do have no excuse for this seeing as you have just read a book on Clough and you support Tottenham.

Poor show.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rosk View Post
    Yo Red Dog. Do you want in on the Game of Death? Seems like you will be sticking around.
    Thanks for the offer but no.

I joined that Rajah fantasy league and lost interest after about 3 weeks and I reckon this would be similar.

I'll do it when we have been promoted.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ukraine
    Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post

Dynamo is a good book. About Dynamo Kiev in the communist era and the problems they faced.
    Unless there are two books with the same title, I thought it was about the Dynamo team that played against the nazi's in WWII. A bit 'Escape to Victory' without the happy end. Cracking book all the same.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just read Matt Le Tissier's book.

Not much in the way of slagging people off but it is quite a lighthearted and funny read. He never earned any more than Ł5k a week. He gets more for doing Soccer Saturday. He does not like Glenn Hoddle.

One funny bit, and yes I am shoehorning Forest here, was that when he was a youngster, Jimmy Case was captain and if anyone kicked Le Tiss then Case would say let him know and he'd give them a whack back. And he did this for 2 or 3 years as Case was a bit of a hardman.

Anyway, one game, Le Tisser is up against Pearce () and he goes over to Case and says "Jimmy, he has done me three times"".

Case turned round and went "Not today, son".

RFF WORLDWIDE WESTERN CON son_of_foley's Avatar
    Letting the POTTY go to his head since Jan 2010
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where would I get the McGrath book from? I can only find versions which are out of print and out of stock at the minute

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by son_of_foley View Post
    Where would I get the McGrath book from? I can only find versions which are out of print and out of stock at the minute
    [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Back-Brink-Autobiography-Paul-McGrath/dp/009949955X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290594717&sr=8-1"]Back from the Brink: The Autobiography: Amazon.co.uk: Paul McGrath: Books[/ame]

87p

bargain

I have just finished reading Stamping Grounds: Liechtenstiens World Cup Oddessey about a bloke from England who decided to go and watch Liechtenstiens World Cup Campaign for 2002 and just generally what its like there etc.

Its brilliant, I highly recommend it.

I have just started on a book on football in China. The writer has been a knobhead so far so hopefully it will improve. I also have a book on football in warzones like the middle east which looks good.

Oh and Tor which is the book of German football is probably my fave football book. Lots of good stories in there.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    This one is mainly aimed at The Rosk.

I need to buy a gift for my Sister's boyfriend but I haven't got a clue what to get. All I know is that he is a Villa fan and enjoyed Mcgrath's book.

Any suggestions of other ex-Villa players with a good book out?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Merson's is good.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    That's a shout. I'm not sure if you can pick it up new anywhere though.

Looks like he's got a new one coming out in March, as an aside.

The Rosk
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    This one is mainly aimed at The Rosk.

I need to buy a gift for my Sister's boyfriend but I haven't got a clue what to get. All I know is that he is a Villa fan and enjoyed Mcgrath's book.

Any suggestions of other ex-Villa players with a good book out?
    Hello mate.

As 1PA has pointed out before, Southgate's book he wrote with a mate who started their career together but went very different ways is actually quite brilliant.

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Woody-Nord-Friendship-Gareth-Southgate/dp/071814595X"]Woody and Nord: A Football Friendship: Amazon.co.uk: Gareth Southgate, Andy Woodman, David Walsh: Books[/ame]

Other Villa players... well Merson's is OK. Haven't read Yorke's.

Oh actually Collymore's is alright and actually quite interesting, these are both cheap if you want to get them both.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    The Southgate one looks good based on the reviews. I think I'll pick that on up. I've got a feeling he's read Collymore's, I can remember him talking to me about it.

I notice Friedel has a book out but that's probably aimed more at the yanks.

The Rosk
    John Gregory's was quite funny considering how arrogant the cunt is. He wrote it when we were on top of the League and he thinks he is God's gift.

BC 4 Lyfe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why England Lose gets my recommendation too, it is very good.

I also found a book called 'Don't mention the score: A masochists history of English football' in Poundland which was well worth a quid.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Did anybody get any good books for Christmas?

I read 'a Life too Short' about Robert Enke by Ronald Reng which was excellent and desperately sad in equal measure. I'd recommend it to anyone.

I also read 'No Smoke No Fire' by Dave Jones. Most stories are written from Jones' perspective and then his wife's perspective as well. It worked quite well because the interest in the book is obviously when he was wrongfully accused of child abuse so you see it from his family's point of view also. It leaves you feeling that the justice system really let him and others involved down. I'd only read it if you are interested in Dave Jones though, not one for the neutrals.

43rd Best Rajah Poster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Self pitying scouser.

Andy
    Just finished Merson's latest book, god it's a depressing read at times. I didn't read his first one so I'm not sure how much is new but it's worth a read. Not many particularly good stories about other players that haven't been talked about before but his brutal honestly is great. He basically admits that he's an utter prick. Selfish, made moves completely for the money, shat in David Seaman's hotel room. The stuff about drugs and gambling is just frightening though, it's quite astonishing that he made it past his mid 20s, let alone to where he is now.

He basically got away with taking drugs for years because he was able to blame it on Spurs fans. He said he'd go into training and every other day be presented with a letter from a member of the public claiming they'd seen him doing/buying drugs but he'd just say it was a Spurs fan trying to get him in trouble.

Onto Graham Hunter's Barca book next.
    Last edited by Andy; August 21st, 2012 at 8:30 PM.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked this up at the airport the other week.

Last edited by Beefy; August 22nd, 2012 at 4:40 AM.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    That Stelling book is perfect toilet reading.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Onto Graham Hunter's Barca book next.
    Hands down the best football book I've ever read. Don't be put off by the shit cover.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That book is great Beefster.

Classy new Stevie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just read The Secret Footballer book.

Really enjoyed it. Also I'm convinced it's dave kitson. Reading the book and then past interviews with him it just seems to fit.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kitson is too young isn't he? Plus he's not been a Premier League player in ages.

Obviously you've read the book....

The Beast From Belarus Hlebsfall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nepal

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a whole website dedicated to who it is.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Well turd who is it then? 100% who is it?

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't realise Kitson was 31. I remember seeing him at Cambridge when he was just breaking through there.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeHunt View Post
    Well turd who is it then? 100% who is it?
    I think it's between about 5 players. They have a section which shows all the clues, I guess you could sift through that and work it out if you really wanted to.

http://www.whoisthesecretfootballer.co.uk/

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Right I can confirm that the secret footballer is Dave Kitson.

Simon
    TSF has played international football, so it's not Kitson.

Classy new Stevie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have a source for that Simon? I have to admit i didn't read the articles but there was no suggestion in the book of an international career. Mainly it mentioned not quite living up to his potential.

Simon
    Maybe I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure he has mentioned being away with international sides etc. In any case I am almost certain it's not one man.

Also one story he tells about an unnamed manager in an article is supposedly a well-known old story about Dario Gradi, which again makes me think that if it was one person, it might be Murphy. But there are plenty of reasons for it not to be each of the suspects.

Simon
    Years ago, at my first club, the manager would spend hours coming up with set plays that he would go through with us on the training pitch. One role that is nearly always taken up at every level of the game is the "position of maximum opportunity", or pomo. The pomo is the space inhabited by a striker, usually after pulling away from the goalkeeper after a corner is taken. It is the space in between the six-yard line and the back post and is important because a high percentage of headers won by the attacking team are flicked towards this area. God forbid if one of our forwards weren't there. "That is the difference between you becoming a millionaire and spending the rest of your career at the fucking Dog and Duck!" he used to scream if someone went awol.
    This is the bit that is supposedly known to be Gradi.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the book is about one player but the regular articles are written/ghost-written by a number of players.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From a recent one...

"When one of our players has a baby, you can't move at the training ground for Harrods hampers and baby clothes."

Harrods? Fulham? Murphy?
    (INSERT SIGNATURE HERE)

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    I think the book is about one player but the regular articles are written/ghost-written by a number of players.
    Not heard much about the book, been too wrapped up in the Barca book and now the Football Manager book, is it supposed to be any cop?

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If only someone in this thread had read it a couple of days ago. If only.

Classy new Stevie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read it cover to cover over the weekend barely putting it down.

I think that a fair few bits are rehashed from articles. Although I largely haven't read the articles.

I enjoyed it a lot and felt it had a pretty good insight that I hadn't heard before. Although it can be considered as a bit self serving but then any autobiographical works tend to be.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I imagine the book is just the articles put in a book, no?

It's what Booker's are.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Porno und Sauerkraut View Post
    From a recent one...

"When one of our players has a baby, you can't move at the training ground for Harrods hampers and baby clothes."

Harrods? Fulham? Murphy?
    Nicky Shorey would fit and he's a leading candidate on the website that turdy posted.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ate them before they ate me El Capitano Gatisto's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zlatan's book. It's quality.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that might be a Christmas present request.

I saw the headline of the serialisation in the Daily Mail and didn't want to spoil it by reading any further.

Simon
    There's a new book about scouting that has come out and its supposed to be great.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DB10s book it on Amazon for the kindle for 49p. 49 PENCE.

Simon
    Currently reading The Nowhere Men by Michael Calvin, about the scouting system. Quite interesting and entertaining so far. Also surprised by how much I enjoyed the most recent Secret Footballer book, I thought it was just a bit of a gimmick but it gives you a decent insight into the murk of a footballer's career even at the top level, as well as plenty of funny stories and gossip.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read the Walcott book - pretty average to be honest. Doesn't give many controversial opinions apart from 'I shouldn't have been at the 2006 world cup'

The latest Fergie one was quite good though.

Simon
    Fergie's was alright, but not much that he hadn't said before - he regrets selling Stam, Keane was a pain in the arse, he doesn't like Posh Spice and the Glazers are alright really.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the fact he criticised Jordan Hendersons 'gait'

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every decent bit of Fergie's book was already plastered all over the news.

RFF WORLDWIDE WESTERN CON son_of_foley's Avatar
    Letting the POTTY go to his head since Jan 2010
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read secret footballer and zlatans book.

Thought zlatan book was excellent. Really well structured and interesting. Highly recommended.

Secret footballer.... I think he's a tosser who gets a pass because he writes for the guardian. I don't find him likeable I didn't find the majority of it insightful. Thought it was bollocks

Simon
    Just coming to the end of The Beautiful Game: Searching For The Soul Of Football by David Conn, would massively recommend it...I had it for years but never read it as I thought it would be very dry and academic, but it manages to delve quite deep without ever feeling like a chore. It's a bit dated now as it came out a decade ago and the game has gone even more mental financially since then, but it's a great insight into the ridiculous way in which most teams are run.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beautiful-Ga...415209&sr=8-2&

Simon
    Finally got round to reading Sid Lowe's "Fear and Loathing in La Liga", waded through (most of) it in the space of a week leading up to El Clasico at the weekend. It's a potted history of the rivalry between Madrid and Barca, and I say I read "most of" it because the first third is basically unrelated to football, with lengthy chapters on Franco and the politics of Catalonia/Spain. I ended up skipping a few chapters as I just couldn't get into it, eventually jumping back in sometime around the mid-60s.

To be honest I wouldn't hugely recommend it. Trying to capture a century of football in a couple of hundred pages was always likely to be a tough ask and really it doesn't feel like much of it is explored in depth - it was nice to read back over the Barca side of the early 90s and be reminded of little things like Ronaldinho's hat trick at Bernabeu, Figo's incredible transfer and the way McManaman became something of a hero in Madrid, but there's surprisingly little about the modern era (maybe because it's already been covered in better books). One thing I will say is that, when you read this and Graham Hunter's BARCA, it is incredible to see the influence Cruyff seems to have had at Barca - basically everyone, from pundits to staff at every level of the club including players and chairmen, agree that everything they've had over the past thirty years is a direct result of Cruyff moulding the club in his image.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a book, but an article I found yesterday that I thought might be of interest;

https://www.theblizzard.co.uk/articl...reet-football/

Full article below;

What kickabouts reveal about the tortured artists of neo-romantic myth.

My favourite bit of it; "The hardest thing to learn in football is passing. It is perfectly unnatural. Children do not pass, because they’re fascinated by the ball at their feet, by their nascent ability, however limited, to control the ball. So many times in my daughter’s football class (she’s six now), I’ve watched a cluster of kids in Brownian motion at the centre of which was one kid who couldn’t give up the ball if his or her life depended on it. During the time the ball moves through the space between two players, it belongs to nobody — it is nowhere. To pass is to relinquish control, to give up the certainty of the ball at your feet for the uncertain outcome of a pass. To pass is to anticipate and imagine a future, while to keep the ball and dribble is to stay in the moment for as long as possible."

Simon
    Has anyone read the latest Secret Footballer book? There's always been a somewhat grumpy vibe to the books but fucking hell the latest one is just relentlessly bitter the whole way through. It's the football equivalent of Bouncing Back.

The Rob Lee of FC Rajah
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had my fill with the first one.

Currently on "The Football Manager guide to Football Management" by MacIntosh. It's not got much to do with FM yet.

Simon
    I got that for Christmas too - it doesn't have anything to do with FM really, bar the last chapter which gives you a rundown of the types of side you might want to pick. It's a tie-in in name only, and is pretty much a straightforward book about football management. Thought it was decent though.

The Rob Lee of FC Rajah
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine seems to have fundamental editing errors in it, did you have those 2?

"Winnging" as a typo in a header and I swear there's 2 paragraphs exactly the same after each other.

Simon
    Yeah I noticed that as well, I think they are quite early in the book? Didn't notice anything after that though.

43rd Best Rajah Poster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just finished "A League - Inside story of the first decade".

Really good, it's more about the politics than the actual football but worth a read if you like football books.

Simon
    Extract from a book about football financing on The Guardian - the extract is good, looking forward to the book...

https://www.theguardian.com/football...antos-transfer

Also I'm reading this at the moment. It's quite a light read but for fans of football and the 90s it's fucking great

https://www.amazon.co.uk/When-Footba...s=euro+96+book