Results 9,381 to 9,390 of 9448

Thread: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hammer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    After the way DW handled GSP's retirement and put him on blast immediately following his war with pre-USADA Johny Hendricks, good for Georges.
    Dana could hold a press conference cutting up GSP dolls and wiping his ass with the bits and pieces, and of course he'd be a giant titty baby for doing so, but none of even that would change the fact that the Georges/Bisping MW title fight and fallout is a sporting farce and everyone involved should be ashamed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hammer View Post
    Miocic vs Ngannou and DC vs Oezdemir both being targeted for UFC 220. Good idea pairing them on the same card.
    This combination is the absolute tits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    I just don't get the direction the UFC has gone. Reebok, selling the company, the weird sponsorship clauses prior to Reebok that required sponsors to give X amount of dollars toward the UFC for allowing fighters to wear certain brands. Too many fight cards, too many fighters. I guess that just goes with the growth of a sport but Jesus man it feels like if you're someone who won 3 fights you're signed to the UFC.

I was watching this past Friday, they had some wannabe McGregor fuck and they were all hyping him up and he was looking shit. Sage Northcutt type shit. Fuck him too.
    Sean O'Malley. I kind of dig him, entertaining Kid. Watch his fight on DWTNC. 👍🏻 I think he's 8-0 or 9-0.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't look at the GSP/Bisping fight as a farce. I think it was a shortsighted way of doing business as it denied Robert Whitaker the opportunity to make his name over Bisping, but short term the numbers don't lie. As long as they're in the PPV business the model ensures they'll look to make the most money. They did it. If they can get a killer deal out of their TV negotiations then hopefully that will reduce the need for quick-fix "blockbuster" PPV shows.

The content saturation is a big problem. I'm a big fan obviously but there's got to be close to a dozen shows I haven't touched this year alone. I'm not watching 6 hours of no name fights to get to a Marcin Tybura main event. I guess the prolification of Youtube clips helps but it's hard for guys to gain hype when they're thrown in the middle of shit events.

makes people post less. Mark Hammer's Avatar
    I like animals, walks on the beach, romantic comedies, and cuddling with that special someone.
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    UFC 217 was also top-to-bottom maybe the best show of the year. "Sporting farce" is harsh, and even if you believe it was Dana still put the card together and made everyone involved a shit ton of money. That's good for the fighters.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's also take into account fighters seem to be injured a lot more or at least not fighting as injured as they would have years ago. Also, some of the bigger names have kind of vanished all at once. GSP, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey, McGregor. You got little bursts of Jones and Rousey. Jones totally fucked up I mean come on guy where's your fucking head at? Rousey going WWE now. GSP was gone for awhile and nobody really was able to pick up where he left off at 170 like he did when Hughes fell off. McGregor's still the man but I mean he's set, anything now is purely from a martial artist mental state of mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd agree that calling it a farce is a little harsh. But it comes down to what kind of model are they crafting, what kind of story are they selling, and is there any consistency/integrity to it.

Since rules and regulations went into place ages ago that allowed the sport back on PPV and tv they've adopted a king of the mountain model where guys scratch and claw their way to the top; where it's incredibly difficult to get there and even more difficult to stay there, where dues are paid to prove ones worth every step of the way, and where we have the pleasure to watch these matchups unfold with the benefit of knowing that every single elevation is earned. At the highest level of this climb stakes are paramount because of the grueling journey. This makes titles in a sport as unforgiving and seemingly random at times as mma so valuable, it's the gold standard backing to getting a belt wrapped around your waist. You may lose that belt on your first defense and never touch it again, but your entire path was legitimately justified and cemented for having come out the end of it rightfully on top even once.

I know, I'm a wacko radical purist, guilty. And GSP/Bisping is hardly the only example to harp on of this happening. But it does seem like with fan resentment at an all time high (and not over just this kind of thing at all either, mind), and of all the myriad things turning people away from tuning in, that something so subversively destructive like this that can start to make even hardcore fans not buy into the whole idea of what makes this thing worthwhile, like FB said, is shortsighted at best and incredibly negligent and reckless at worst. This isn't a massive negative press story like doping or WarMachine drama or Jon Jones drama or what have you, but I think in a sense it's actually worse. I think this kind of thing is going to eat away at the integrity of the sport with less attention paid to it like a burrowing virus instead of an inflammatory water cooler talk headline. This devalues the entire structure right in front of everyone's very eyes with one hand and no one wants to see it for the spectacle getting dangled in front of them in the other. And when that structure is caved in completely and irreparably it'll be quite the bummer.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The flipside to all of that is both hardcore and casual fans go out of their way for fights like GSP/Bisping more than they would say Dillashaw v. Mighty Mouse. That's a huge fight for the hardest of the hardcore. That fight isn't drawing more than GSP v. Bisping. And the same hardcore fans who all would pony up for TJ v. DJ, they're the same ones along with the casuals shelling out the loot to see GSP v. Bisping.

And you know me, I'm very much a purist but not just a "go by the ranking with every single fight" purist because it's never always been that way. Even when it was regulated more. Go watch Pride. Go watch UFC with Randy Couture getting a shot @ Liddell with 1 win or 0 wins in forever to get a HW title shot against Tim Sylvia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And that whole first paragraph would fall under the shortsighted umbrella. Sure, it makes money in the short term ... but at what actual cost.

Not saying every single matchup must be 8 vs 7 and 6 vs 5 and 4 vs 3 and so on either, but ignoring the earned queue entirely..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by percussion13 View Post
    And that whole first paragraph would fall under the shortsighted umbrella. Sure, it makes money in the short term ... but at what actual cost.

Not saying every single matchup must be 8 vs 7 and 6 vs 5 and 4 vs 3 and so on either, but ignoring the earned queue entirely..
    But the cash grab fights are few and far between don't you agree?

And I'll be honest....What was truly wrong with GSP, the greatest WW of all time, coming back and moving up to fight the champ? Would we be negative toward Jon Jones coming back after a couple years off and challenge Stipe right out the gate? HELLLL NO. Would we have issues with GSP coming back and getting a shot at Tony Ferguson @ 155? Whitaker was going to be out for awhile, plus he was the interim champ not even the real champ.

What I have issues with are Nate Diaz getting a title shot against Tyron Woodley. Or another Diaz-McGregor fight, especially for the belt when Diaz is 50/50 at 155 as it is. Again, these kind of fights where it's on some WWE shit, they're not common. They all tend to revolve a Diaz though if you think about it lol.

I will say this...Bisping v. Hendo was ridiculous as well. Again, zero issue in all honesty with GSP getting a shot because he's put in the work to warrant that kind of fight. He's not Nate Diaz, he's not Nick Diaz, he's not even Joey Diaz.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    But the cash grab fights are few and far between don't you agree?

And I'll be honest....What was truly wrong with GSP, the greatest WW of all time, coming back and moving up to fight the champ? Would we be negative toward Jon Jones coming back after a couple years off and challenge Stipe right out the gate? HELLLL NO. Would we have issues with GSP coming back and getting a shot at Tony Ferguson @ 155? Whitaker was going to be out for awhile, plus he was the interim champ not even the real champ.

What I have issues with are Nate Diaz getting a title shot against Tyron Woodley. Or another Diaz-McGregor fight, especially for the belt when Diaz is 50/50 at 155 as it is. Again, these kind of fights where it's on some WWE shit, they're not common. They all tend to revolve a Diaz though if you think about it lol.

I will say this...Bisping v. Hendo was ridiculous as well. Again, zero issue in all honesty with GSP getting a shot because he's put in the work to warrant that kind of fight. He's not Nate Diaz, he's not Nick Diaz, he's not even Joey Diaz.
    - On the scale of the volume of fights they have entirely, sure. If we're judging the magnitude of those particular fights though..

- I answered that with several words above. And yes, I wouldn't want to see Jones take on Stipe for the HW title or GSP take on Ferg for the LW title without beating another HW or LW in the rankings first.

- Agreed.

I'm aware I'm in the minority and not going to change anyone's mind here so going on and on ad nauseam about it will probably become boring and tiresome. Just wanted to give a bit more expanded thought on why I chose to call it a farce. I can certainly agree to disagree and say that this is just my perspective and how myself and some other fans feel. No biggie.

Thread Information