User Tag List

Thread: The Batman

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Batman

Release date: March 4, 2022 (United States)

Cast:
    Robert Pattinson as Bruce Wayne / Batman
    Zoë Kravitz as Selina Kyle / Catwoman
    Paul Dano as Edward Nashton / Riddler
    Colin Farrell as Oswald "Oz" Cobblepot / Penguin
    Jeffrey Wright as James Gordon
    Andy Serkis as Alfred Pennyworth
    John Turturro as Carmine Falcone

---

Alright so this is a pretty major release so I want to give it its own thread. Are you going to see it in theaters? Are you pumped for this latest reboot? I plan to see it pretty close to opening day, although I haven't bought my ticket yet. This movie exists outside the DCEU so it's launching a brand new Gotham universe where surely sequels and HBO Max series will follow. I'm still holding out hope that they link it to Todd Phillips' Joker where a sequel has been rumored, but it seems unlikely. That would be a great twist IMO, but it doesn't really work because they would need The Joker to be about 20 years older than he was in his movie, which would make him way too old.

Obviously we're used to Batman reboots but I find it interesting how they're rolling with this new adaptation while the other version (Affleck/Keaton) is still kicking around. Keaton, I believe, will take over the mantle from Affleck in The Flash and then appear in Batgirl and possibly other DCEU flicks. I don't really care, and I'm not into the DCEU anyway beyond whatever James Gunn produces, but it's a little bit of overkill. Whatever though, because this one looks great! Hopefully it lives up to the hype. I'm sure it'll be compared to Batman Begins, and that's a big shoe to fill.
    Last edited by GOAT_Eli; February 21st, 2022 at 7:36 PM.

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i am incredibly eager for this, and i'll be going to the theater for the first time since the pandemic started to see it. i don't think it will, and i'm very glad it won't, connect in any way to the joaquin joker stuff.

i love that they've got multiple batman related things going on. it's providing different flavors of a character and world, in big, mainstream ways, without having to wait a decade for a trilogy to finish before diving into something else. the MCU is fantastic with how they've organized their franchises and arcs, but i'm more than open to DC creating smaller universes of their characters that run parallel to each other.

Mentioned
    363 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty hyped and plan to see it in theater. Glad its not connected to the other DCEU stuff as I don't care for all of it and everything doesn't have to be one big universe, it's cool to do different takes on your folks in their own worlds.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing hooks me more than another Batman reboot.

While I'm not smitten with Robert in the cowl so far, or the cowl itself... I'm liking the look of things when talking about big picture. Penguin looks amazing. Riddler looks cool as fuck. We're being dropped into a Batman story instead of another origin, and that's the right choice. Gotham looks beautiful.

Cannot wait.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    grenadines
    What did Colin Ferrell do to get booked as a penguin?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He swam from Antarctica to New Zealand with an umbrella.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely going to see this when it comes out. I was on the fence about Robert Pattinson until I saw him in The Lighthouse. I needed to see him in something other than Twilight movies. I still can't get over the fact this guy will go down playing a vampire and a "bat". Anything with The Riddler will be good imo.

Mentioned
    505 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely looking forward to this one. Plan on seeing this opening weekend.

I was skeptical with casting as well. The promos look great (not that's a guarantee). Going down a different lane with backstory will be interesting as well.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought this was very, very good. I’m curious to see how it clicks with the general audience. While this film has a massive runtime, I actually feel like a lot of it is actually covered in the trailers lol. Some really fun performances, the cinematography was fantastic, a score that just stays on you the entire way, and really good direction as this really was a detective/serial killer type story.

Was a little heavy with exposition but that didn’t deter from the movie. Like I said, the performances were great and Pattinson really felt genuine as the lead. Dano was very good and I loved how modernized his villainy was.

DC has been playing from behind in comparison to Marvel but I think this is a refreshing turn in relation to the art of a potential franchise and just general difference. Marvel is good at what it does but it generally has a general feel that is similar across the board with the movies. You need that because these characters eventually connect/intersect. This is spin into a different genre that does embody how comic books can really be different for different people.
    Last edited by BGMaverick; March 6th, 2022 at 4:21 AM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought this was excellent. The first hour in particular - I was just loving how the city was drawn, seeing Batman lurking in apartments and investigating crime scenes and his relationship with the cops. Also there is a huge amount of Batman on screen which I really appreciated.

I liked the score - distinctive from the Hans Zimmer theme.

Jeffrey Wright really surprised me with his take on Gordon. He had way more to do than I thought he would and his double act with Batman in some places was really fun. I also really enjoyed Farrell as Penguin. The new take on the Riddler certainly made for a creepy presence in all of his scenes. I liked the Zodiac-esque story and how it kept the canvas pretty small throughout.

I wasn’t feeling Catwoman in the trailers. She was a bit better than I expected, but some of her scenes with Batman didn’t feel earned; as if they just had to get them to a certain place, rather than basing it on real chemistry between the characters.

The film has flaws and most are in the last 45 minutes. Major plot spoilers below. It’s also far too long. A good 20 - 30 minutes could have been easily trimmed, at the very least.

Mentioned
    363 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw it on Thursday. It's very good but a few notches below greatness. If anyone wants me to break down my thoughts more, i can but for now, 8/10.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    If anyone wants me to break down my thoughts more, i can ...
    Yes

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    If anyone wants me to break down my thoughts more, i can but for now, 8/10.
    Yes.

Mentioned
    505 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anyone wants me to break down my thoughts more, i can but for now, 8/10.
    maybe

Mentioned
    363 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh right, well then, away we go...

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    363 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BGMaverick View Post

Mentioned
    505 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The rest of you were like "yes, mth tell us your thoughts" and he ignored you for days.

I was all "maybe", And almost instantly here he is, sending reviews to the rafters.

You have to know how to approach a mth.

It's the timeless art of seduction.

Mentioned
    363 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought of two more things to add to the PROS side:

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Is Pattinson confirmed to be locked in for a couple sequels? It feels like this role requires a multi-film commitment.

Initially I scoffed at the thought of Twilight Guy being Batman, but full credit to Pattinson who pulled it off.

Mentioned
    363 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you seen The Lighthouse? Or anything else he's been in outside of those movies?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put Good Time as being his best work. Such a great frickin ride of a movie.

Mentioned
    363 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may have read about a pretty interesting/significant deleted scene. Well, that deleted scene is now available on YouTube:

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw it, and thought it was great. As many others have already said, the ending/climax was fairly weak and anticlimatic. The Riddler's plan and how it all played out confused me a bit. Maybe it will click with me better on second viewing. It was at times tough to follow all of the exposition in this movie in one watch.

The cast was superb... except I didn't love Dano. His character was very well written and creepy, and I loved how it incorporated social media and whatnot, but I felt another actor could have made it a more legendary villain. I liked Dano in There Will Be Blood (one of my favorite movies), but in Batman, idk, his distinct vocal style didn't land the way I hoped it would. Again, maybe I'll warm up to it on re-watch.

All of the other actors were great though, particularly Pattison, Farrell, Kravitz and Wright.

And Reeves did a great job building this world including the tone, style of the city, and the GCPD's relationship with Batman.

8.5/10

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really really good movie. Just on first watch I'm putting it in my top 5 Batman movies. It might be #5 but it's only trailing the first 2 Keaton movies, The Dark Knight, and the 60's Batman movie. This just felt like what should've followed The Dark Knight. I'm a big fan of The Crow, it had a little bit of that kind of vibe.

Best part of the movie for me was incorporating Nirvana's Something In The Way. An extremely slept on Nirvana song which is imo one of the best songs they ever did-especially live.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally watched this! I really liked it, but I don't think it'll be one of those movies I'll watch from start to finish cuz dang 3 hours is a long time. The cinematography was so beautiful, really found myself rooting for Catwoman/Selena a character I haven't cared for since Pfeifer and OMG Colin as Penguin was perfect. I still had to switch my brain off at Pattinson being a scary badass at times, but I think he did a good job. What I don't get is why they didn't have that contrast between Bruce and Batman. They were both pretty much identical personas. Batman is dark and brooding... Bruce was dark and brooding... anybody could have just known he's Batman. Even the twins working the door would be like "Yo, you're Batman aren't you?"

This was a breath of fresh air though. This rendition of Batman ain't perfect, but I really really hope they continue on with it.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worst disguising of a secret identity since...

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-l...leculo/2870513

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VHS View Post
    Finally watched this! I really liked it, but I don't think it'll be one of those movies I'll watch from start to finish cuz dang 3 hours is a long time. The cinematography was so beautiful, really found myself rooting for Catwoman/Selena a character I haven't cared for since Pfeifer and OMG Colin as Penguin was perfect. I still had to switch my brain off at Pattinson being a scary badass at times, but I think he did a good job. What I don't get is why they didn't have that contrast between Bruce and Batman. They were both pretty much identical personas. Batman is dark and brooding... Bruce was dark and brooding... anybody could have just known he's Batman. Even the twins working the door would be like "Yo, you're Batman aren't you?"

This was a breath of fresh air though. This rendition of Batman ain't perfect, but I really really hope they continue on with it.
    It's always been like that. Bruce Wayne was rarely over the top. But we didn't get much of Bruce Wayne in this one which was kind of nice.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    It's always been like that. Bruce Wayne was rarely over the top. But we didn't get much of Bruce Wayne in this one which was kind of nice.
    True, we didn’t get much Bruce, but there has always been a vast difference between the two. Batman is the dark and broody one… Bruce’s rich boy persona was he other. And while it’s cool not having the rich boy persona aspect here, it was just silly how he played them pretty much the same.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True, we didn’t get much Bruce, but there has always been a vast difference between the two. Batman is the dark and broody one… Bruce’s rich boy persona was he other. And while it’s cool not having the rich boy persona aspect here, it was just silly how he played them pretty much the same.
    I disagree. Go watch Michael Keaton. He's not joking around having a good time. He's quiet, he's soft spoken, always looked pissed. Christian Bale, watch him in The Dark Knight Returns.

Again--We didn't really get anything of Bruce Wayne that goes to banquets and charity events. Plus if you think about a lot of the graphic novels over the last 20-30 years they don't really paint him as having these 2 polar opposite personas. He's not Clark Kent/Superman.

Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Streamed this last night. Thought it was excellent, the scores, the action sequences and the actors/actresses all played their parts very well. I personally didn’t have an issue with Bruce/Batman being too similar. Bruce is an orphan living all alone except for his butler/surrogate father Alfred so it’s no problem with him being broody.

My only minor issues with it was the length, could’ve been trimmed down by about maybe 30 mins or so and the ending being a bit flat and possibly should’ve just led to the capture of Riddler with his talking to Joker in Arkham but yeah, definitely want to see more of this latest reincarnation series.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they don't have a part 2, that ending makes no sense lol. I was like wtf is this Sopranos??

Mentioned
    363 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @VHS @Nash Diesel I mentioned it in my review above but I've seen the "Batman/Bruce are too much the same in this" addressed as this being early on in his run as Batman (only 2 years) so he hasn't realized that he needs to separate the personas more. At this point, of course Bruce is a depressed hermit because his folks just got killed but in time, he'll likely realize he needs to develop the Bruce persona more to differentiate it and might start amping up the socialite/playboy characteristics so it's not so obvious that guy's Batman. I wouldn't be surprised if that starts happening in the next movie(s).

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just didn't feel like we had enough of Bruce Wayne in general to even bother making that statement. And again, go back and watch Michael Keaton's Bruce Wayne. He's well beyond his parents' death but he's still a dark individual. I think we see him laugh once in 2 films and that's when Alfred is telling the horse story in 1.

Mentioned
    363 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a complaint my wife had when we saw this movie and I kind of agreed with it until I heard the explanation I posted above and then I didn't mind. I've seen other folks online express similar sentiments. But you do have a point.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I disagree. Go watch Michael Keaton. He's not joking around having a good time. He's quiet, he's soft spoken, always looked pissed. Christian Bale, watch him in The Dark Knight Returns.

Again--We didn't really get anything of Bruce Wayne that goes to banquets and charity events. Plus if you think about a lot of the graphic novels over the last 20-30 years they don't really paint him as having these 2 polar opposite personas. He's not Clark Kent/Superman.
    Keaton's Bruce was totally awkward, but still a bit of a disconnected snob tho. Whether his character was doing it on purpose or inadvertently, it was there.

"It's Japanese."
    "How do you know?"
    "Because I bought it in Japan?"

Knox even refers to him as a rich stiff.

Ehh. I think the bottom line is Robert's Bruce needs work. They'll work on it and it'll be all good. Because I don't think his Batman needs any tweaking at all.

"You want to know the truth? I don't think I've ever been in this room before."

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my final thoughts:

You can't expect more out of something we barely witnessed. Knox had never even met him when he called him that. Most emos are total pricks.

But again....You saw what, 20 seconds of Bruce Wayne outside of the mansion/batcave and then parakeet nonsense? Ok.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my final thoughts:

You can't expect more out of something we barely witnessed. Knox had never even met him when he called him that. Most emos are total pricks.

But again....You saw what, 20 seconds of Bruce Wayne outside of the mansion/batcave and then parakeet nonsense? Ok.
    True, it's just weird to finally have a Batman movie with so little Bruce Wayne when we've become so accustomed to Batman movies with very little Batman doing Batman things.

Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True, it's just weird to finally have a Batman movie with so little Bruce Wayne when we've become so accustomed to Batman movies with very little Batman doing Batman things.
    mth had a very good take on the Batman/Bruce differential which I hope is explored further on future Batman movies on this current incarnation.

Also one of the things that has maybe not been mentioned enough on a browsing (if someone has then apologies) was the different scenarios on how Batman and Bruce got let into the club and how they got let in. Both asked for different people (Penguin and Falcone) and yet Batman had to kick his way in but Bruce didn’t. Loved how they kept calling back to that and how Bruce/Batman were still the same but kinda different but both got the same result. Made me think the Bruce/Batman being similar wasn’t that big of an issue as some made it out to be.

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how is it silly? they make a very big point to say that bruce wayne is NEVER seen out, which is why him showing to the memorial was so big. nobody knows what bruce wayne is like. compare and contrast the two scenes at the iceberg lounge door. as batman, he's confident and intimidating. when he shows up as bruce, he's timid and meek. he looks like a sad little boy, because when he's not in the suit and mask, he IS a sad little boy.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrison View Post
    how is it silly? they make a very big point to say that bruce wayne is NEVER seen out, which is why him showing to the memorial was so big. nobody knows what bruce wayne is like. compare and contrast the two scenes at the iceberg lounge door. as batman, he's confident and intimidating. when he shows up as bruce, he's timid and meek. he looks like a sad little boy, because when he's not in the suit and mask, he IS a sad little boy.
    Regardless of people not knowing who Bruce Wayne is or what he's like, I also bring up the twins again. They hear a knock and it's Batman, he says he wants to see the Penguin, they get the shit kicked out of them yada yada. Later on in the movie they hear a knock and it's Bruce, he says he wants to see Falcone. They should look at each other and just know uhh this is Batman. If anything, Batman shouldn't have even knocked on the front door, he should have stealthed in.

The silly aspect involves all these characters interacting with Bruce who acts the same way as Batman. I guess we just see different things here. Eh.

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regardless of people not knowing who Bruce Wayne is or what he's like, I also bring up the twins again. They hear a knock and it's Batman, he says he wants to see the Penguin, they get the shit kicked out of them yada yada. Later on in the movie they hear a knock and it's Bruce, he says he wants to see Falcone. They should look at each other and just know uhh this is Batman. If anything, Batman shouldn't have even knocked on the front door, he should have stealthed in.

The silly aspect involves all these characters interacting with Bruce who acts the same way as Batman. I guess we just see different things here. Eh.
    lol why should they JUST KNOW it's batman? i literally just explained that they do act differently. beyond that, you overestimate how easily it would be to connect the dots of bruce and batman being the same cause you already fucking know they're the same. there is ZERO reason, as indicated by behavior, that rando thug doormen should JUST KNOW that this sad looking recluse billionaire is one and the same as the dude dressed up like a bat who smashed their faces in a couple days earlier. you seem to see things as if your head is up your ass.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrison View Post
    lol why should they JUST KNOW it's batman? i literally just explained that they do act differently. beyond that, you overestimate how easily it would be to connect the dots of bruce and batman being the same cause you already fucking know they're the same. there is ZERO reason, as indicated by behavior, that rando thug doormen should JUST KNOW that this sad looking recluse billionaire is one and the same as the dude dressed up like a bat who smashed their faces in a couple days earlier. you seem to see things as if your head is up your ass.
    What if I do huh? What if I doooo?!

Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly is the whole thing really that important?? Just feels like nitty-gritty nitpicking at this point.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Honestly is the whole thing really that important?? Just feels like nitty-gritty nitpicking at this point.
    Not at all. Just some nitter pitters.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    It was alright. The ending dropped it a few points and I feel like it was hyped up too much to really live up to expectations. Battinson was fine and I'll still watch another one. Maybe a different director won't have so many shots that are out of focus or just hard to follow visually, that was my main gripe with it. It might have been easier to appreciate those scenes on a giant movie screen instead of the 55 inch in my living room. How many times is the word vengeance said in this movie anyway? Oh, and it didn't seem like Pattinson and Kravitz had any chemistry, very forced.