User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Media

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Download the one with my email in Alf, I don't know what it was called, so download them all.

43rd Best Rajah Poster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simon has got nearly 50% of the posts in this thread.

Simon
    Red Dog has provided 0% of the interest in this thread, although he performs well on the "posts involving irrelevant facts that no one cares about" front.

Here is the link to that last Ramble if anyone wants it.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/footballra...NotableEgg.mp3

Alf, did you listen to it in the end? The profile of Collina is at the end.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    Simon has got nearly 50% of the posts in this thread.
    I dont see what point you are trying to make?

Other than the obvious random statistic giving.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I listened to last weeks ramble today, I think it's the second time I've listened to it and i have to say I enjoyed the first time I listened far more.

The first 30 minutes in particular were awkward, lots of little silences and then bad jokes which seemed to be laughed at to fill air. It got better but wasn't especially entertaining. There was a lot more to be said about the relegation fight too, seems like they mentioned it for the sake of it and moved on quickly.

The Beast From Belarus Hlebsfall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nepal
    Since I've got an Iphone (yes blad) I've started listening to the Football Ramble. Probably caught the last half dozen, it's a good way to kill an hour. Couple of decent bits this week, namely the THOSE TRAINERS ARE HESKEY BLAD, and the bit where James started going on some cockney rant. ITS ALL ABOUT THE PASSION, ALL ABOUT THE FACKIN..... YEAH. That Luke doesn't look anything like I expected, I had visions of some slickey chav type, when in fact he looks like a homeless viking. I think he's a bit of a penis as well to be honest, always looks to show how much he knows about football. Someone will talk about a player scoring in the 82 World Cup or something, and he'll have to pipe up and go 'OH YEAH, AGAINST SCOTLAND, BOTTOM LEFT HAND CORNER.' But it is free, so can't complain.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get the one with my email in.

Simon
    Great Ramble HOF today, Paul McGrath. Great line: Two thirds of the world is covered by water. The other third is covered by Paul McGrath

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should download these tonight then, yeah?

I expect to be left laughing like a spastic on the tube like I do to the Gervais' ones.

Whaddaya think about that 1_Pablo_Angel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Great Ramble HOF today, Paul McGrath. Great line: Two thirds of the world is covered by water. The other third is covered by Paul McGrath

I used to think this was just a bunch of smug southern arseholes laughing at ther own bad jokes. Got into it a bit now though, there's some real gold in there. But they do still laugh at ther own jokes a bit too much.

Simon
    Good stuff 1PA, I had the same feeling for a while but you get used to it eventually. I was actually thinking of ripping off their player profiles for here, one a week...but maybe that would be one rip-off too far, and also I wouldn't want to be seen to be just cutting and pasting stuff. But if people were interested I would be happy to do it.

On another topic, Skinner and Baddiel are doing daily podcasts throughout the World Cup. This was decided ages ago and isn't new information at all, but in case anyone is interested they should be brillo. They did the same thing in 2006 and they were great.

Classy new Stevie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Free right?

Simon

YAAAAAAAAAAAAYUHH

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They weren't daily in 2006, IIRC. Were good though. Be interesting to see what they'll fill DAILY shows with.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Is there a new football ramble today Si? I'm looking for some podcasts to download.

Simon
    Tomorrow mate, every Wednesday.

Football Weekly was yesterday if you don't get it...great show:

http://download.guardian.co.uk/audio...all_Weekly.mp3

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I downloaded that one based on you talking up Richardson earlier. I've never listened to it before.

I need them today really. I grabbed a couple of the Partridge radio shows too.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barry Glendenning is the reason I love football weekly.

Simon
    Oh come on Richo is key as well. And I enjoy it more when Kevin McCarra and Paul Doyle are on it.

╭∩╮⎝⋋⏝⋌⎠╭∩╮
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love it when people post links with no explanation at all.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazurus View Post
    I love it when people post links with no explanation at all.
    i hate it on forums where someone posts a thread called like, i dunno.. Noel Edmonds. and you click on it and all it says is: "haha. Noel Edmonds must be GUTTED." and then just leaves it at that. no explanation or link. really annoying. takes about 1 second to write a few fews to say what happened. another annoying one is when someone just posts the name of some random bird, and then you open the thread and there isn't even a photo. it just says 'she is fit!' or other such bollocks.

Simon
    Football Ramble is back today

I ate them before they ate me El Capitano Gatisto's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice seagull story at the end of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...I know.

Simon
    didn't want to assume.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh. Wouldn't have mentioned it otherwise.

I've only been listening to the Football Ramble since the start of year, I think it's definitely 3rd place behind World Football Phone-In and Football Weekly. The reasons are because the guy Luke has that grating voice inflection that seems to be invading England from Australia that makes everything sound like a question and I think the Geordie guy is just fucking awful. Good show otherwise. Glad it's back, I had a good 3 month backlog of listening for World Football Phone-In and Kermode and Mayo's Film Reviews before the summer but have been running so much I've almost caught up.

World Football Phone-In can be irritating when you get different people phoning in with the same question on different weeks and they then go over exactly the same answers or tell the same anecdotes. I've heard Vickery's feelings on FIFA and his anecdote about Marcelo Bielsa enough times now.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I probably do that inflection thing that you speak of. It's quite common for people coming from Oxford.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    ME TOO

Everyone buy The Guardian today, their season guide is out. Always the best one around and well worth the 90p.
    I'm lifting this over.

I am a big fan of the Guardian's football coverage but I was quite disappointed by the review to be honest. There wasn't any real insight into any of the teams and it has silly errors throughout. For example getting Fraser Forster's age wrong, saying Alan Smith is our only player with an England cap. I noticed they commented on how well Matthew Briggs played against Arsenal but I remember him getting subbed off after 30 minutes cos he was being run ragged but perhaps an Arsenal fan can say more.

The young player bit seemed under-researched in all honesty.

I am looking forward to the podcast, I love that podcast but while I'm at it, they sit too far away from their microphones. I can't hear it if I'm walking down a busy high street.

Andy
    I think it was Walcott who destroyed that Briggs boy. I remember someone getting subbed off in the first half anyway.

Simon
    Anyone listen to the Ramble yesterday? The Sami Ameobi tweets are great

Simon
    Been listening to World Football the last couple of weeks. It's pretty good but fucking he'll Dotun Adebayo is the worst presenter I've ever heard. Woeful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No chance. Dotun is class. He holds it all together.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Adebayo is the man

Simon
    You are both mad. He is so irritating and unprofessional it's terrible

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's excellent. He keeps it all going and stops it getting too dry, takes the piss out of everyone. The show would be no where near as good without him.

Plus, outside of the World Football Phone-In, he's usually pretty serious.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Did anyone listen to 'Booted' after the Monday Night Club on Fivelive last night? It had Andy Brassell, the guy from zonal marking and one of the football ramblers. It was an awkward mess with no structure but I like Chappers so if they gave the discussion some structure then it could be good.

It's a podcast on iTunes if anyone fancies 30 minutes of proclaiming Cavani.

Simon
    It had Lukey Moore from the Ramble on it as well didn't it? That prick banned me from the Ramble forums

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Yeah it did but I already said that in my post you nutter. Why did he ban you?

Simon
    Posted allegations that Richard Keys likes to be shat on by BDSM prostitutes and called him a ponce when he deleted it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andy Brassell is on the World Football Phone-In a fair bit. He's pretty good.

Simon
    Tim Vickery looks nothing like what I expected. I thought he would be a weedy little nerd of a fellow, instead he looks like a retired gangster who spends his life in the Costa Del Sol with his overly made up wife, getting involved in all sorts of minor crime capers.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Yeah I liked Brassell and the zonal marking guy (I think they've both been on Football Weekly too?). Problem was they were expected to ramble and while they were very informative it was just awkward.

I don't think Luke Moore really knew what to do with himself so just discussed man-crushes and Gabriel Bastituta speaking Welsh. It was good of the BBC to advertise their products so much though, I thought their projects would be glossed over but Chappers did a good job of giving them a good airing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Half an hour isn't really enough for those guys to get going. Luke Moore is ok on the Football Ramble but his primary role seems to be bringing up classic players and going on about how good they were, I feel much of his contemporary info is just recycled from guys like Brassell. The Zonal Marking guy (he appears on Guardian Football Weekly) is a bit like Jonathon Wilson in terms of tactical analysis and Brassell has excellent knowledge of European leagues and players, you can find out some good stuff from them, they're genuinely informative.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I don't think it was even 30 minutes in the end because they started a bit late, so it definitely wasn't long enough. Moore is alright when he has a topic to talk about and he's quite humorous which wasn't the tone. As I said it had potential particularly as I think Chappers was trying to introduce them to a new audience, once it gets going then it could become a regular listen for me. It wouldn't hurt to take 15-30mins off the Monday Night club.

I might give World Football phone-in a try too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should, Brassell had a bit to say about Newcastle during the summer due to their buying up French players. He's very good for the French league, reckons it's the most physical league in Europe and therefore pretty shrewd of Newcastle to shop there for their players.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Excellent. I read a bit about the French League through a journalist called James Eastham. I couldn't bring myself to watch a game though because there are hardly ever any goals in a game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nepal
    Just gone back a couple of pages, my views of Luke Moore haven't changed, he is a bit of a penis. Just comes across as someone who does a load of research on what is going to be spoken about beforehand, then starts passing off his comments like he is he encyclopedia of world football.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah there is definitely plenty of that. I basically echo your opinion then. On the Football Ramble he goes on about players he can't possibly have watched much of as if he was tracking their careers.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Listened to the latest BBC World Football podcast featuring Paolo Di Canio. Interesting piece on Juventus and their new stadium. How they are trying to follow the British/European model to attract the public and that they are now unique in Italian football for owning their own ground. Apparently match day revenue in Italy typically makes up around 13% of a club's overall revenue compared to 27% in much of Europe and they are hoping the new "match day experience" will allow them to close the gap. They are a club who have almost fallen off the radar since the embarrassment of the big match fixing scandal, but they've got big plans after their summer shopping spree and stadium move. It'll be interesting to see to what extent they can get back to competing with other top clubs.

Simon
    Their old ground was very strange, a huge arena but barely ever more than a quarter full or some shit. They're an odd side in general in terms of support IIRC - am I right in thinking that they aren't particularly huge in Turin where they are based, but are inordinately popular across the country compared to the other big sides?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Yep, exactly. They are easily the best supported club in Italy. Obviously attendances in Italy are generally poor, but Juve's have been picked out for being especially weak considering the size of the fanbase across the country.

Football, bloody hell!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's right.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been listening to World Football the last couple of weeks. It's pretty good but fucking he'll Dotun Adebayo is the worst presenter I've ever heard. Woeful.
    Completely agree, he's an absolute tit. So annoying, shite presenter. All the shite about Brazilian shirt names and his Sunday league stuff does my swede in. Great show apart from that, not so interested when Sean Wheelock is on it, but the shows with Vickery and Brassell on are the tits.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I didn't mind Max Rushden on Football weekly this week, I thought it was quite fun and a nice change but it highlighted just how good Richardson is at that anchor role.

Andy
    I can't stand Max Rushden. Total bellend.

Simon
    Na he's alright. The lack of knowledge and passion compared to Richardson stands out a mile but he did fine, better than that Irish fella Ken something they had a few years ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dotun Adebayo is a legend.

Simon
    Is there an obvious reason I'm missing why all the WF callers are mad?

Streetwalker
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I can't stand Max Rushden. Total bellend.

I barely watch SAM anymore and he's the main reason

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Soccer AM without Sky plus and lots of fast forwarding would be horrendous.

Simon
    It's quite weird to think how long it used to go on for nowadays, 2 hours seems like a massive stretch.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be interesting to watch a full old one and see if it was as good as I remember.

I remember really liking the original kick it through the hole game, because it was very rare that anyone ever did it.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    it was pretty crap when lovejoy was on it too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nepal
    It's complete shit. I'm surprised they've not pulled it and thought up a new show. Such a tired format.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And Helen Chamberlain is looking bloody ropey.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    It is embarrassingly bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there an obvious reason I'm missing why all the WF callers are mad?
    The show is on at about 4am in the morning.

Simon
    Ah right, that would explain it I suppose. The people that call in sound like something off of Norfolk Nights. The old fella in particular rattles on about fuck all and they just let him. It's weirdly fascinating. I still think Dotun is a useless shite though, it's held together by Tim Vickery.

They should get Fernando Duarte from The Guardian/Football Weekly on from time to time. Possibly the nicest man in the world and has an incredibly entertaining way of talking. Very much enjoyed his Anglacised annoyance at everyone taking the piss out of Breno in the latest episode, "Jesus Christ, man".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The WF Phone-In is only on one night a week as part of the Radio 5 Up All night show. Up All Night is on from 1am to 5 or 6am every night, so Dotun is presenting all sorts of other stuff and the WF Phone-In is only a pretty small part of it. He's a big legend. I used to listen to Up All Night a fair bit if I couldn't sleep or needed something on in the background if I was up late working on something in the lab or at my desk. Very relaxing and comforting. This Scottich guy called Rod Sharp does some other nights but Dotun always gets Friday for the World Football Phone-In.

Simon
    I used to like Richard Bacon's show, his special half hour or whatever the fuck it was called was good.

Simon
    Not to mention Caesar the Geezer...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v23yyZeN4Gk"]Caesar the Boogieman - Get an Aerial... - YouTube[/ame]

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Starting to grow tired of the Football Ramble now. Quite frequently they throw generalised criticisms out about what cliches other journos may have used yet they seem to use just as many comparable ones. They've always been self-indulgent but it's worse than before I think.

Beyond that though I just don't find it funny like I used too. I don't know whether that's me or them but I drift out when listening more than previously.

Simon
    It's a lot more self-indulgent now. Shite like Going for Glold and the post-credits chat aren't interesting to anyone except them. The opening questions are shit as well now. Marcus aside, it increasingly feels like they are using it to attempt to forge comedy careers for themselves that they aren't talented enough to manage via the usual paths.

Topical opening question allowing them to remember old footballers/games --> lengthy chat about the week's football --> funny football-related e-mails --> profile.

When it was like this, it was great. Instead it's now:

Topical opening question allowing them riff dimly about crap things they would like to make footballers do --> brief chat about the week's football --> tedious Going for Glold segment --> thirty seconds of emails --> profile, all of which is speckled with tons of irrelevant commentary. It's frustrating cos it's still a good show and the topical stuff and profile stuff is still great. I think they're just buying their own hype too much.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I thought my comments would strike discord amongst us, I'm surprised you agree.

You've got it spot on really. I know that the hints are incredibly vague in going for glold but the fact that they are so shit at it does show that they don't know what they would like us to think they do. They say that isn't the case but some of the things they throw into the profile as asides to what Marcus has said as though it's from memory is them leading us onto that.

I'm finding 5Live's offerings quite enjoyable lately. I've always like the Monday Night Club and I listened to the podcast of 'the sacking season' which aired on Wednesday. They had Peter Reid, someone from the LMA and a Daily Mail journalist in the studio. They had Alan Pardew on the phone too. Everyone was very knowledgable and insightful and it went to show that the LMA fail to recognise any criticism whatsoever of their members.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stopped listening to the football ramble a few years ago. They love themselves a bit too much. I miss the olden days when it was starting out. And I know of several people who submit stuff to them and they pass them off as their own jokes/creations, which I hate.

In the very first series they did a show in Jim's kitchen, it sounded awful, but the content was there.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Just listened to another FiveLive one from last night about football finances. I was doing some work at the time so I wasn't 100% focused but Christian Purslow (ex-Liverpool something or other) was in the studio and conducting interviews. They spoke to Kenwright and Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck about Financial fairplay, their stadium, whether they've met their five year plan and they also discussed about how the Manchester United debt is not a problem at all and they are the gold standard of Premier League finances.

It's as a podcast on the fivelive football daily. Worth a listen if you are interested in the financial aspect.

Simon
    turdpower is so trendy he stopped listening to the Ramble when it was still really good.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Football Weekly when Jonathan Wilson or Fernando Duarte is involved is always when it's at its best. Duarte is the nicest man around but he gets so defensive about his points.

I was trying to figure out who the striker was that a Premier League club asked Wilson about. The only one I could think of was Odemwingie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think if I wasn't training for the marathon I think I wouldn't bother with the Football Ramble. The Geordie guy really fucks me off quite badly now, he just isn't funny in the slightest but he keeps cracking jokes and they keep giving him fake laughter.

Andy
    The Monday Night Club has been really good recently.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    turdpower is so trendy he stopped listening to the Ramble when it was still really good.
    Actually when I got thinner than you and stopped running.

Simon is so trendy he got fat because being normal is too cool.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Managed to get a late ticket in the 'family area' for Sunday's game so I'm going to drive up tonight. Downloaded World Football phone-in and the football league podcast which I'll be checking out for the first time.

Simon
    Has the World Football Phone In finished or something? It's disappeared from my iTunes...

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has the World Football Phone In finished or something? It's disappeared from my iTunes...
    Nah there was one this week, it was just late being posted.

I use podtrapper and its usually ready for me on Saturday morning but this week it didnt appear until this afternoon

Simon
    Sorry I wasn't very clear, what I mean is that the entire show is no longer on the iTunes shop when I search for it has it changed name or something?

Simon
    It reappeared last night, weird.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I enjoy Football Weekly more when Glendenning isn't on it. People like Jonathan Wilson, Fernando Duarte, Rafa Honigstein etc. offer so much more than just moaning about things and being dull.

Simon
    Hmm dunno about that, I like that Glendenning has a more emotive, 'everyman' approach as opposed to the stats Wilson brings out or Rafa's dry wit. I love Duarte though, he just seems like a lovely man who is incredibly passionate and brings a good outsider's view of how English football is viewed abroad. It's a shame Paul Doyle and to a lesser extent Kevin McCarra don't appear very often any more, they were very good.

Football Weekly is consistently excellent though, isn't it. Sid Lowe is the best of the lot and is on every week, and they mix up the rest of the guests so it always feels fresh.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Yeah, it's brilliant. The only thing Glendenning gets emotive about is when discussing complaints about the podcast and how they're undeserved because it's a free product.

I don't get the impression he watches a great deal of football and doesn't care to in the case of quite a few teams. I understand what you're saying about the 'everyman' approach but I think that's done better by Sean Ingle, Barney Ronay and even Amy Lawrence (who I had my initial, understandable, scepticisms about but she makes some good points and doesn't comment upon what she doesn't know about) all do that role much better, in my opinion of course.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I might have said this before but the best panelist (is that what you call them?) around on the podcast scene is John Motson. You can tell he watches an awful lot of football, he can say something about every player at every Premier League team such is the research he conducts and he presents himself very well.

Simon
    Amy Lawrence chats shit, by far the worst regular IMO. I don't think it's fair to say Glendenning doesn't watch much football when he does the minute-by-minute on numerous games a week for The Guardian.

Simon
    I meant to say this yesterday but this topic is probably the best place anyway - Steve McClaren is a really good pundit for Sky. He actually tries to give you some insight into WHY managers make certain decisions or why a certain tactic is being employed.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I only say it based on the fact that he doesn't seem to comment upon much actual football and his comments on teams don't often ring particularly true. Most notably for me Newcastle, which is obviously the team I'll pick up on stuff most, who he often makes unfounded comments on. I think it may also have been him who said Wolves don't have a goalscorer when they have one of the most effective goalscorers in the league. Plus he's mundane.

I like Lawrence, 90% of the comments she makes are about Arsenal anyway and then she goes quiet.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I meant to say this yesterday but this topic is probably the best place anyway - Steve McClaren is a really good pundit for Sky. He actually tries to give you some insight into WHY managers make certain decisions or why a certain tactic is being employed.
    Yeah I like McLaren too. I rarely watch the pre-match buildup of games but I sat and watched the buildup to Schalke vs. Man Utd last year and he made some fascinating points.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I only say it based on the fact that he doesn't seem to comment upon much actual football and his comments on teams don't often ring particularly true. Most notably for me Newcastle, which is obviously the team I'll pick up on stuff most, who he often makes unfounded comments on. I think it may also have been him who said Wolves don't have a goalscorer when they have one of the most effective goalscorers in the league. Plus he's mundane.

I like Lawrence, 90% of the comments she makes are about Arsenal anyway and then she goes quiet.
    He's a Sunderland fan so he probably just enjoys cunting Newcastle off.

Quite possibly this is the reason I dislike Lawrence.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Oh yeah there's definitely an aspect of that, the only other real life person I know who listens to it ribs him all the time on Twitter over how dismissive he is of us. That doesn't bother me though, I can understand why many people would have been dismissive of our chances in games.

The fact that he is Sunderland fan and never makes an interesting point about a player, a tactic, a match of theirs is more why I prefer others. Richardson asked him a few weeks ago if he thought Bruce would go and he responded that it won't be long before he does but didn't offer anything as to why it's going badly or how he could improve. I think the point of these things is to offer some kind of analysis or greater knowledge as football is their dayjobs.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Jonathan Wilson is a Sunderland fan too.

Andy
    Who was the commentator for the Man United game last night? He made a few very interesting points about tactics and positioning during the game even though he had a very dull voice.