User Tag List

Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Comedy

Simon

Comedy

What comedy do you enjoy? Tell me some shows, stand-ups or whatever you have been enjoying recently. Link to articles or whatever. I fancied creating some debate about comedy to perk people up a bit.

Here is a decent article about Radio 4 smugness in comedy:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/nov/17/radio-bbc

BBC must end its smug comedy consensus
    * Martin Kelner

The comedy writer and performer Jon Holmes's recent Guardian blog about the Sachsgate row attracted the usual mix of reasoned argument, vitriol and personal abuse - with the latter very much favoured.

Among the predictable bile, however, I noticed the word "smug" surfacing once or twice, particularly in relation to one of Holmes's radio programmes, The Now Show. A tad harsh, I thought - but I can understand what prompted the barb.

I am generally a fan of the BBC's topical comedy/panel shows, but there is no denying a tendency towards smugness at times, and it is by no means confined to The Now Show. Jeremy Hardy on Radio 4's The News Quiz, for instance, is a funny man but there is something about his tone - maybe it is the approbation of the audience - that occasionally seems so self-satisfied that, even while you are laughing, you want to give him a smack round the neck with a sock filled with horse manure.

The host, Sandi Toksvig, and at least two of the other guests often follow a similar line to Hardy, giving the impression that ideas and attitudes are seeping through the air conditioning at Broadcasting House, creating a kind of comedy consensus. It was particularly apparent when Sarah Palin - admittedly not a difficult figure to ridicule - was herded into the News Quiz lineup of acceptable targets.

Without lining up alongside those who accuse the BBC of being a hotbed of dangerous pinko deviants, I surely cannot be alone in noting the rarely changing cast in the corral. Aside from obvious political targets such as Bush and Blair, I have noticed a preponderance of jokes over the past year or so - more especially on The Now Show - aimed at James Blunt, Chris Martin and figures such as Jade Goody, Wayne Rooney and Kerry Katona.

It would be easy to form the impression that at 6.30pm on a Friday evening on Radio 4, comedy opprobrium is reserved for a combination of Conservatives and chavs, with a side order of British pop stars who have been successful in America - conveying the inescapable message that the working classes will be supported as long as they have the good grace not to become rich and famous.

I have been listening particularly closely of late to the participants on these shows, and those on Clive Anderson's Chat Room on Radio 2, and on Five Live shows such as Richard Bacon and Gabby Logan, as I am involved in the production of three broadcast pilots of a talkshow for Five Live - which I am resisting the temptation to gratuitously plug - and we are currently booking panellists.

We are quite keen to avoid the cosy broadly leftwing anti-James Blunt consensus I have spotted elsewhere, but it is proving difficult.

America has a plethora of witty intellectuals such as PJ O'Rourke coming broadly from the right. In fact, the rightwing talkshows on American radio are invariably more entertaining than the liberal ones. In the UK, it is more or less a choice between Richard Littlejohn and Jeremy Clarkson.

The guests I enjoy most on The News Quiz are the ones who are not overtly political such as Fred MacAulay - and, of course, Alan Coren, of blessed memory - and there is a new generation of comedians such as the brilliant Mark Watson, who are political only in the widest sense, and already illuminating several programmes on BBC radio.

But ours is a show about points of view, and if the only points of view available come from one side the descent into smugness will be inescapable. We hope to surmount this by skewing our questions away from the topical towards the philosophical - and also by the cunning ruse of booking my mates, who have strict instructions not to be smug. And to lay off James Blunt.

Streetwalker
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand why you analyze comedy so much Simon.

Not having a pop, I just genuinely don't get how it doesn't ruin it for you.

I watch comedy purely for a laugh, it cheers me up and allows me some time where I don't have to think too much if you know what I mean.

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    I've been watching Curb Your Enthusiasm season 6 recently. Although it's gone even more over the top than it used to be, it's utterly fantastic. And Cheryl Hynes is classic.

Other than that, I caught an episode of that new Jack Dee sitcom the other night. I tuned in with extreme trepidation that it might be another huge stinker as most UK sitcoms on TV save for The Office and Extras (season 1 and the specials, that is, I maintain that season 2 was largely poor) have been over the last 10 years. I was pleasantly surprised by how dry and glib it was. Dee really impressed me as Spleen and the supporting cast are for the most part more than secondary, line-delivering shmos.

The new Futurama episodes, by the way, are complete and utter stinkers. The stories are shit, the animation is lazy and the characterisation is a huge step backward from everything they'd set up with the first 4 seasons. Very, very disappointing. And I'm a huge Futurama fan.

Similarly, season 12 of South Park has been rather phoned in. The guys have gotten lazy and a lot of the episodes have become fairly formulaic (see: 'Super Phun Thyme' and 'Eek a Penis!'). The difference with South Park is that, even when they fall into a safe, ruttish area they still manage to deliver at least 60% of a fantastic episode in terms of one-liners, in-jokes and gross-out. It really helps that by this point we're so invested in the characters (especially Butters, Jimmy, Cartman and Randy Marsh) that those figures can remain unchanged and the comedy comes from even the tiniest change in situation and how they react to it; which is to say once said reactions become apparent, we almost knew they'd react that way in a "lmao, that's so randy Marsh" way but are still surprised and cheered by that same reaction.

Moving on to other media, if I may, the Adam and Joe podcast just goes from strength to strength. Song Wars, Text the Nation, the special guests (see: Roger Moore and occasional stand-in co-presenter Garth *can't remember his surname...the guy who directed Hitchiker's Guide*) along with the usual inane, innocent banter delivered in one of few ways that can make you laugh out loud on the train into work in the morning; the show is one of the few pieces of comedy I look forward to and try to download as soon as its available each week.

The Russel Brand Show, on the other hand, had hit the shitter long before the infamous Andrew Sachs episode. From fleeting references to his own celebrity and s3xual endeavours very sparsely and minimially intertwined through a majority of relfections on his troubled past and relationship with co-host Matt Morgan, the last 5 or 6 episodes had descended into nothing more than a vulgar publication of the notches on his bedpost and how f^cking brilliant he is. Which I wouldn't mind awfully, if it weren't for the fact that he simply hasn't backed it up through other media and performances. Ponderland, his 'stand-up' show on Channel 4 is a tiresome shoutfest where Brand awkwardly twitches and cavorts around a seemingly tiny stage, jumping loosely from one link to the next and generally not making any informed, intelligent or even humorous observations that better comics already haven't, or instead saw the sense in ignoring completely. His 'triumph' in Hollywood so far left me fairly numb as well; Forgetting Sarah Marshall, I'm sorry, was a f^cking train wreck where Brand didn't just play himself, he was himself.

Sorry, got a bit carried away there. A little mixture of what i like and what I don't like of late. Other highlights include:

- Ricky Gervais Show: The Complete Fifth Series
    - The Collins and Herring podcast
    - Two and a Half Men (I know, I know, there's NOTHING about this show that I should like, but I can't help it...)
    - The Sam and Tom Show (podcast; been off the air for about 6 months but series 2 on it's way)

Oh, and I went to see Lee Evans recently and he was shit.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    australia
    Anything done by Gervais and Merchant gets full marks from me. Curb is awesome. And I love Arrested Development.

If you like all of the above, you'll probably enjoy Flight of the Conchords. I've found it tickles me just right.

As far as movies go, I've really enjoyed all of Seth Rogan's stuff. Saw Pineapple Express a few nights ago, and it was immense. Didn't disappoint at all.

Sir Jones of Launceston Eggbert Spam's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny View Post
    The new Futurama episodes, by the way, are complete and utter stinkers. The stories are shit, the animation is lazy and the characterisation is a huge step backward from everything they'd set up with the first 4 seasons. Very, very disappointing. And I'm a huge Futurama fan.
    Your enjoyment of the stories is subjective, but you are absolutely wrong about the animation. I've really never seen a stupider comment around here. The animation is miles better than anything they've done previously, and anything else on TV.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love stand up comedy. Lewis Black is probably one of my favorites. And Jeff Dunham is a kind of guilty pleasure. I know it's wrong, but he makes me laugh.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love Lewis Black as well. It's great watching him almost have a heart attack over just about everything, and what's greater is he usually picks topics that more people really should be apoplectic about.

Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anything done by Reeves and Mortimer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Version 6 View Post
    Anything done by Gervais and Merchant
    + Pilkington and yes.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Mike View Post
    I love Lewis Black as well. It's great watching him almost have a heart attack over just about everything, and what's greater is he usually picks topics that more people really should be apoplectic about.
    Absolutely. One of my favorite bits is watching him go on about the Starbucks across from the Starbucks. Gets me laughing so hard I can hardly breathe every time. That and the "if it weren't for my horse I wouldn't have spent that year in college."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait what's wrong with liking Jeff Dunham?

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M. View Post
    Wait what's wrong with liking Jeff Dunham?
    It just feels wrong to laugh that hard at Akhmed the Dead Terrorist. But I laugh anyway - so hard it hurts.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoy Mitch Hedberg.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got Summer Heights High from Lovefilm over the weekend - it's an Australian mockumentary (i know, i hate the term too) set in a school.

It's about one guy playing 3 parts - a Tongan student, a stuck-up bitch and a poofy drama teacher.

It starts off a bit slow, but it's got a nice line in un-pc humour.

I also got Peep Show series 5 recently as well - the extras are always good on their DVD's.

Poseidon, look at me!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    George Lopez. Being Mexican, I can relate to what he talks about.

Probably kicking an animal's carcass somewhere in a remote area
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rodney Dangerfield, George Carlin, and Mitch Hedberg. My top 3 comedians of all time.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    Summer Heights High is the fucking shit. Jonah is the funniest little shit every. "Fuck you sir!"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    lol marlin i have about ten times the rep of you. also if you have a problem take it to off topic and beat me in a debate

agash, thats comedy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tildey View Post
    It just feels wrong to laugh that hard at Akhmed the Dead Terrorist. But I laugh anyway - so hard it hurts.
    I love akhmed!

First time I warched that i was crying with laughter.

"SILENCE!!...I Kill you!"

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xhex View Post
    "SILENCE!!...I Kill you!"
    Have you watched the Christmas Special yet? We watched it Sunday on Comedy Central and I thought MTR was going to need CPR. I even learned some new Christmas songs.

Streetwalker
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by JIJ View Post
    I don't understand why you analyze comedy so much Simon.

Not having a pop, I just genuinely don't get how it doesn't ruin it for you.

I watch comedy purely for a laugh, it cheers me up and allows me some time where I don't have to think too much if you know what I mean.
    it just doesn't...I love talking about comedy and seeing how other people feel about it, discussing it etc...if I'm honest at times it does ruin it if someone tells me something is shit then I go into it expecting it to be shit.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    He wants to be like what Mik is with Movies. But with Comedy.

RFF WORLDWIDE WESTERN CON son_of_foley's Avatar
    Letting the POTTY go to his head since Jan 2010
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like the inbetweeners. Am I right?

Simon
    The Inbetweeners was actually alright. Low-brow, but low-brow done well.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked it and it hurt me when JIJ hated it. It hurt me a lot.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    Come on guys. That program sucked balls.

Simon
    Na, it was genuinely really good at times. Captured the reality of school life as well, much better than any other British show.

Whaddaya think about that 1_Pablo_Angel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Betweeners had some good moments.

JIJ eventually conceded as much as I recall.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Na, it was genuinely really good at times. Captured the reality of school life as well, much better than any other British show.

What by looking like your 26, and the fact you would do things that no sane person would. I watched the episode the boy got a shit car and they went to the theme park. They ended up getting the car trashed to fuck. And then the boy walked home with just the car door. As if.

Simon
    Started watching the show again recently, thought I'd bump an old favourite.

Couple of things:

1. Is it just me, or is the actress who played Cassandra one of the worst actresses ever? Not only bad in herself, but completely out of sync with the rest of the cast (which I suppose is deliberate to an extent, but she is so wooden it's unbelievable).

2. I can't work out why, but despite the earlier episodes being funnier, I prefer the later episodes. Not the final three (after they were rich), but everything from series 6 onwards - in fact, going against my first point, when Cassandra and then Raquel were brought in. I don't know, it just feels more warm and cosy, and more likeable. Not quite as funny and heavier on the saccharine, but somehow I prefer it like that. Is that just me?

3. Do I remember John Sullivan refusing to entirely rule out another return? That would have been a few years ago now and they're all getting older though, so who knows...part of me would love to see more, another part of me would hate to see them ruin the legacy...but ultimately I'd love a couple more episodes.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched the first episode again and it's actually quite good. That being said though I warmed to the I.T crowd in its 2nd season.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only fools and horses episode where rodney has to pretend to be 16 is brilliant. I think he's won a holiday on a Kellogs Cornflakes competition or something

Simon
    That episode is one of the finest hours of sitcom I've ever seen. The ending is great as well, and it sums up the perfection of the writing that the heroes of the show are fucked over by their own schemes as often as they work.

Other great episodes...

Series 3 Episode 3 - 'Friday The 14th' - the one where Del, Rodney and Grandpa go to Boycie's cottage in the countryside to do a spot of illegal fishing, only for an escaped and murderous mental patient to come looking for them. Great set-pieces, and it ends with a truly genius gag, which I won't spoil now.

Series 3 Episode 5 - 'May The Force Be With You' - the one where Rodney meets Slater in the pub and invites him back to the flat, not knowing he's a copper. The boys get arrested and most of the episode is spent in the police station, 'where hilarity ensues'. Some hilarious stuff, particularly the varying descriptions of the man they claim to have seen stealing the microwave, and the end gag is fucking CLASSIC, probably my favourite moment from the show ever...I think the entire episode was based around this one gag - a daring trick to try and pull off, but the gag is so funny that it very definitely works - not just as a gag, but as a way of ending the episode perfectly.

Series 5 Episode 3 - 'The Longest Night' - the one where they're all in the supermarket for a really very long time indeed. The only episode, as far as I know, where they're never in the flat, but it works despite the new surroundings. The plot is great, as it all gradually becomes known who is setting who up, who's behind the robbery etc...plus there are some great moments, particularly Rodney picking up the cigarettes rather than the gun, and Lennox Gilbey's never to be forgotten line 'They seek him here, they seek him there, those policemen seek him everywhere, is he in Heaven, or is he in Hell, that damned elusive sh-a-dow'. Emphasis VERY MUCH on the 'sh-a-dow' bit, still makes me laugh 15 viewings later. Great stuff.

Series 6 Episode 3 - 'Chain Gang' - not much to say about this really other than it's just generally a great episode, the plot works brilliantly with Del being robbed out of his money by someone he considers a friend - the only time in the show that I can recall where a friend screws him over - odd, because so much emphasis is placed on the tightness of the community, you might not be able to trust someone, but if you're a friend, you're a friend...some great gags, and the ending is superb, with Del and co winning the day.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    Oh what about that bit wher Del Boy falls through the bar.
    HAHAHAH. FUNNY.

Simon
    Decent bit of physical comedy rendered unfunny by incessant repeat showings. The chandelier moment was much better anyway.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    Decent bit of physical comedy rendered unfunny by incessant repeat showings. The chandelier moment was much better anyway.
    So true. That scene along with Rodney and Del boy running down the street in Batman and Robin outfits which even I can remember proper pissing myself the first time i seen that as a kid. But yeah seen it too many times.

If it annoys you, kill it I steal cable's Avatar
    I would rather be considered wrong than take the trouble to prove myself right
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlon Dingle View Post
    Oh what about that bit wher Del Boy falls through the bar.
    HAHAHAH. FUNNY.
    Stewart Lee does an amazing bit about the public's need to keep voting for that sketch as the funniest ever.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlon Dingle View Post
    So true. That scene along with Rodney and Del boy running down the street in Batman and Robin outfits which even I can remember proper pissing myself the first time i seen that as a kid. But yeah seen it too many times.
    I HATED the Batman and Robin thing at first, thought it was too silly and out of line with what OFAH was all about...but it gradually grew on me and now I fucking love it.

They are all overrated though (just the way these things are I guess, overplayed = overrated), there are tons of better moments. Grandad's wendy house line might be my favourite of all.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by I steal cable View Post
    Stewart Lee does an amazing bit about the public's need to keep voting for that sketch as the funniest ever.
    LINK?

Vanquisher of Jesus Sucks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BUT I WANTED AN EMPEROR BURGER!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LINK?
    I've been looking everywhere for a video of it. I think it was part of his 41st best stand up routine but they cut it from DVD, fuck knows why.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuncha Bunts View Post
    BUT I WANTED AN EMPEROR BURGER!
    -"They're not just lawnmower engines...they're BROKEN lawnmower engines"
    -"Vot iss your nem?"
    -"If it's a girl they're calling it Sigourney, after an actress. And if it's a boy, they're calling it Rodney...after Dave."
    -I've had this broom for 20 years. It's had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time"

Mary, FIND IT. Sort it out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SCREENWIPE back tonight at half 10 BBC4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tildey View Post
    Have you watched the Christmas Special yet? We watched it Sunday on Comedy Central and I thought MTR was going to need CPR. I even learned some new Christmas songs.
    There's a christmas special?

Does Jeff have his own show then?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    ...They are all overrated though (just the way these things are I guess, overplayed = overrated), there are tons of better moments.

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7mi6tP9h_JE[/ame]

End of this episode is class.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    SCREENWIPE back tonight at half 10 BBC4

Already been called.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xhex View Post
    There's a christmas special?

Does Jeff have his own show then?
    He has at least three Comedy Central Specials that I know of. Spark of Insanity, Arguing With Myself, and then Jeff Dunham's Very Special Christmas Special (new this year).

Here's a link to some clips from the Christmas Special. http://www.comedycentral.com/comedia...f_dunham.jhtml

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    Rodney Dangerfield, George Carlin, and Mitch Hedberg. My top 3 comedians of all time.
    This person speaks the truth.

I don't do tricks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I HATED the Batman and Robin thing at first, thought it was too silly and out of line with what OFAH was all about...but it gradually grew on me and now I fucking love it.

They are all overrated though (just the way these things are I guess, overplayed = overrated), there are tons of better moments. Grandad's wendy house line might be my favourite of all.
    I'm guessing you didn't see it when it was first aired, either that or you already had a strong comedy manifesto at 10 years old.

Only Fools and Horses is very solidly written comedy and I think it's only easy to put it down because you know what's coming.

What was said about the Russell Brand show was right - in the last month it just turned into a shreiking match, he became a parody of himself, and every interview was just him pressing a woman for 5 minutes "Let's shag, okay... Of course I'm only joking, but you will shag me, won't you?", trying to make his lack of structure seem part of the act when he was really just losing it. Still, I do miss it.

Ackmed (sp?) the Dead Terrorist, I didn't get that though - I had been told it was hilarious (by an English woman, believe it or not), but I watched a few clips and...nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodgers View Post
    Ackmed (sp?) the Dead Terrorist, I didn't get that though - I had been told it was hilarious (by an English woman, believe it or not), but I watched a few clips and...nothing.
    aye same here, just didn't find it that funny at all

the only terrorist kinda thing that ever had me in stitches was this

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKTsJpfC0IQ[/ame]

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodgers View Post
    I'm guessing you didn't see it when it was first aired, either that or you already had a strong comedy manifesto at 10 years old.
    Eleven actually I can honestly say that the first time it aired I didn't really enjoy that bit. Nowhere near as much as I do now. I'm sure it wasn't a "this isn't what OFAH is all about, they've really jumped the shark here" feeling - I just didn't think it was very funny, and didn't understand why it was loved so much - any mention of that superb final run of three episodes in '96 was inevitably followed by a clip of them running through the streets, and I didn't quite get the love of it. Whereas now it genuinely does have me in hysterics every time I see it.

I think the first "analyst" thought of comedy I ever had was thinking how blatant it was that The Royle Family did the Mambo No. 5 dance as their own 'classic clipshow moment'.

What was said about the Russell Brand show was right - in the last month it just turned into a shreiking match, he became a parody of himself, and every interview was just him pressing a woman for 5 minutes "Let's shag, okay... Of course I'm only joking, but you will shag me, won't you?", trying to make his lack of structure seem part of the act when he was really just losing it. Still, I do miss it
    I stopped it enjoying it ages ago, when Cocky Locky left. At it's best it was fantastic though - Brand's story of playing GTA and realising he was making a mess of another life was fucking fantastic. Ponderland is garbage though, it's the most linear show I think I've ever seen. Every episode, in fact every clip in every episode, is the same thing:

-Show vaguely humorous clip of someone saying something funny
    -Cut to Brand, copying exactly what the person said, in a stupid voice

Every episode it's the exact same thing. I will admit that "Ya better watch oooout" from the first series was ridiculously funny and still hasn't got old, but merely stumbling on 2 seconds of good footage doesn't excuse the entire rest of the series being crap and the few episodes of the latest series being absolutely appalling.

Buzzcocks and Cats on tonight. Buzzcocks is better than it's been in years now, Amstell has settled into the role and while not as good as Lamarr at his peak, he's fantastic in his own way and the latest series' trend for disecting the making of the show has given it an extra dimension that works really well. Amstell is one of the best comedian's going right now, incredibly quick.

The show is often let down by crap guests and Phill "Never says anything funny but explodes with laughter at ANY joke from ANYONE ELSE" Jupitus being terrible, but Amstell makes it work - the worse the guests are, the better he tends to be.

8 Out Of 10 Cats is one of those dependably 'decent' shows, it's never going to be brilliant but it's always watchable because of Sean Lock and, to an extent, Jimmy Carr (though his scripted stuff is rubbish). Fat Michael Owen is likeable enough but not particularly funny, but at least the standard of guests is usually pretty good. David Mitchell is on tonight's episode, I think.

Also quick note - The I.T. Crowd is back on tomorrow night, series 3. Very underrated show that was criminally panned for not being as good as Father Ted when it first came out. The first two series were packed with great moments, and the replacement of one great boss (Chris Morris) with an even better one (Matt Berry) was a masterstroke, Berry's overacting is great - SPEAK, PRIEST!

I've not heard great things about the new series in fairness, but hopefully it comes into it's own. I'd say it's as good as Black Books.

is better than torn @ rba
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeahhhhh had no idea about that. Download job though, out tomorrow!

Simon
    Good man. I'm currently working my way through a shitload of stand-up DVDs. So far I can say that:

-Frankie Boyle's was alright but got a bit boring. Excellent in parts but had heard too much of it before on MTW etc, and it had to much emphasis on shock jokes which was disappointing as I thought he had begun to move away from this sort of thing.

-Jimmy Carr's was good, much better than his last one. It had some stunningly offensive stuff in it, worse than a lot of what was in Frankie Boyle's. I like his style.

-Michael McIntyre's was ok but very average, got bored. He's likeable though.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Russell Howard's stand up DVD was very good I thought. He's fast becoming one of my favourite comedians.

RFF CHAMPION 12/13
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate Russell Howard. An unfunny moron.

Watched Jimmy Carr's DVD and it was great, just as good as when I saw him live.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbeefan View Post
    Russell Howard's stand up DVD was very good I thought. He's fast becoming one of my favourite comedians.
    Got that downloaded but haven't watched it yet. If it's anything like his appearances on panel shows it'll be 90 minutes where I don't laugh once but come out of it having enjoyed it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought Michael McIntyre's was thoroughly enjoyable. I agree with you on Boyle's, heard it all before. Dara O'Briain's was ok, Bill Bailey's Tinselworm was quite good, same with Frank Skinner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    McIntyre's got some great material. I love his flamboyancy too.

Simon
    Mitchell was superb on 8OO10C, his angry rants are great and clearly he believes what he's saying. Particularly his happiness that the public chose Sargeant over everyone else.

What was O'Briain's like, Eggbert - similar to his last one where he interacts a lot with the crowd? He's at his best when he gets banter going, his material otherwise is good but not great.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqSIFxVftAg[/ame]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mitchell was superb on 8OO10C, his angry rants are great and clearly he believes what he's saying. Particularly his happiness that the public chose Sargeant over everyone else.

What was O'Briain's like, Eggbert - similar to his last one where he interacts a lot with the crowd? He's at his best when he gets banter going, his material otherwise is good but not great.
    I didn't see his last one, but yeah, that's basically it. When I say something was good, I'm generally only remembering not being bored or annoyed by it, so don't take it as a recommendation.

Simon
    I've already got it, just waiting to be watched - same with Russell Howard, Frank Skinner, Sean Lock, Bill Bailey and another I forget. Want to get Rowan Atkinson's as well, that's out now.

Tim Vine's new one was a massive disappointment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Atkinson has a new one? What's it called?

Simon
    "Rowan Atkinson: Live" I think - imaginative!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it a new one or a re-release of the old one?

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just finished Bill Bailey. Thought it was quite good but prefered 'Part Troll'. I do like how he adds the music in, quite different and keeps things fresh.

Might go back and watch Omid Djallili. Haven't seen his for a while and always thought he was alright.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Michael McIntyre's was ok but very average, got bored. He's likeable though.
    Seriously? He really gets on my tits.

He's as likeable as a Challenge TV revival of the Crystal Maze hosted by the cunt from the Saw movies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How's the comedy career going?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by GeezaTap View Post
    ... Challenge TV revival of the Crystal Maze hosted by the cunt from the Saw movies.
    When did this happen? Howcome I dont know about it?

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rowan Atkinson did a sketch on that we are most amused thing last week and it was awful

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of that show was awful beyond John Cleese and Bill Bailey.

You have to wonder as well how fucked-off Robin Williams was that he was billed, yet the 'special mystery guest' they hyped all night just turned out to be Eric Idle.

Should have been the other way about.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John Cleese was shit and I didn't like Bill Bailey. I thought Stephen K Amos was brilliant again

Back from the Dead.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stephen K Amos is brilliant. His routine on Live at the Apollo was good, especially the bit about waiting for Lenny Henry to die.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favourite bit of that routine was possibly the travellers cheque bit

ANACONDA GET OVER HERE

OHHHEEE ARE YOU FROM FRANCE?

Simon
    Anyone see IT Crowd? Thoughts?

I ate them before they ate me El Capitano Gatisto's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked it. Especially the heaven/hell bit with Chris Morris and Hitler poking his head around the door. The Hitler part cracked me up.

Warning. Rabidly Arsenal. eldanielfire's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone see IT Crowd? Thoughts?

Very good. For some reason, probably because it's a british comedy which isn't offensive or weird TO THE MIDDLE CLASS, it's had a bit of a slagging off but frankly every episode can have you in stiches at some point. All 3 main characters are great and unique and the supporting characters are always brilliant!

bear force one
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The it crowd got a slagging as the 1st series was odd nothing to do with not being offensive to the middle class.

Ydays episode was brilliant loved how he tested ifthe gun was loaded.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just downloaded all of Time Gentlemen Please.

No idea how good it is, but someone told me it's just like Al Murrays stand up but in a sitcom. So I should like it.

is better than torn @ rba
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked it, it was a bit shit in places but enjoyable.

I've realised that one of my mates looks and acts exactly like Sean Lock. It's unnerving.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by turdpower View Post
    Just downloaded all of Time Gentlemen Please.

No idea how good it is, but someone told me it's just like Al Murrays stand up but in a sitcom. So I should like it.
    It's alright, very low brow though. His standup material is crap, it's only his crowd work being so brilliant that makes him a good standup.

SOF, I'd say it got slagged off mainly because it's Linehan's work but not as good as Father Ted. It's so similar in style though, as is Black Books.

I urge you all to watch The Office (US) and 30 Rock, both are magnificent. Also Screen Wipe on BBC4.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Office (US) is actually a fantastic piece of work. Both different and similar to the UK version but still amazingly funny. Dwight is what Gareth could have become and you end up feeling the same empathy towards Pam and Jim as you did Tim and Dawn.

It's actually very underrated over this side of the Atlantic, in my opinion.

Warning. Rabidly Arsenal. eldanielfire's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thi k that is because the first series of the Office was a poor mans Uk version. The it became it's own beast and started being good.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's probably a fair assessment. Watching it all again from S01 you can see the huge difference between series one and even series two.

Simon
    Outnumbered was on last night, haven't seen the latest episode yet but this little gem of a series needs to be seen by all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Feel the same way about it as I did last week.

Simon
    Ah come on! It's not hilarious or anything but the kids are brilliant, and it's very well-observed. I think the kids are more scripted in this second series as it happens, but it's no worse for it. Karen's funeral speech was inspired - the opening bit where she confuses it with a wedding, and the final line "because you're worth it" especially - I love how well-characterised they've managed to make this tiny little kid, playing on her own away from the parents all the time and so learning everything she knows from TV soundbites and the like.

Back from the Dead.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoy listening to Armando Ianucci's Charm Offensive on iPlayer.

Simon
    Is that still going? I stumbled upon an episode unexpectedly in summer, expected it to be great but it was crap. It had Phill Jupitus on it, maybe that was the problem.

I'm sure I've said this before but you should listen to Genius and Heresy if you possibly can, dunno if they're on iPlayer but I have them if you wanted them uploaded - fantastic Radio 4 comedy panel shows. Also, The Unbelievable Truth which is chaired by the boy Mitchell.

Back from the Dead.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Genius is good, but some eps are more miss than hit.

There don't seem to be any charm Offensive eps available atm, but BBC 7 often repeats decent stuff...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbeefan View Post
    The Office (US) is actually a fantastic piece of work. Both different and similar to the UK version but still amazingly funny. Dwight is what Gareth could have become and you end up feeling the same empathy towards Pam and Jim as you did Tim and Dawn.

It's actually very underrated over this side of the Atlantic, in my opinion.
    Totally agree.

I love the US Office. Brilliant work and incredibly and sadly underrated (and looked at unfairly, as a rip-off).

The characters give me many more laughs than the UK version ever did, and I've been a Carrell fan for a while...so I think he's awesome in it.

Simon
    The problem with Genius is that it's so reliant on the guest being good - you don't want them being dull (Carol Vorderman) but nor do you want them to be too insistent on being funny every two seconds. The most entertaining ones are from the older guests - Paul Daniels was a highlight, as was Brian Sewell's. I think Germaine Greer's was good as well IIRC.

Fan of Heresy or The Unbelievable Truth, Kris?

Back from the Dead.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haven't heard either to be honest. upsetting now that I know David Mitchell is involved in the latter.

Simon
    Sign up to The Box (http://thebox.bz/main.php) and you should be able to download them all.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How/why the hell did they create 36 episodes of Time Gentlemen Please? It's alright, but it's a little samey.

Back from the Dead.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's Al Murray the Pub Landlord's audience, laughing through gritted teeth like the dogs they are - Stewart Lee.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah come on! It's not hilarious or anything but the kids are brilliant, and it's very well-observed. I think the kids are more scripted in this second series as it happens, but it's no worse for it. Karen's funeral speech was inspired - the opening bit where she confuses it with a wedding, and the final line "because you're worth it" especially - I love how well-characterised they've managed to make this tiny little kid, playing on her own away from the parents all the time and so learning everything she knows from TV soundbites and the like.
    I can't see many of the kids lines being improvised in this series. I didn't see the first series.

I don't know, it's nice and all but it's not very funny most of the time. The little girl's reaction to the dead mouse and the subsequent funeral probably was the funniest bit but there wasn't much else. And like I said, the adult's acting is so normal BBC sitcom that it's off-putting.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time Gentlemen please was a bit crap I thought but then I really dislike Al Murray

Simon
    Buzzcocks and 8 Out Of 10 Cats tonight. Corden is on Cats again, I swear that's the third time in this series