Page 2 of 89 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Spurs Transfer Rumours thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats a bit of an exaggeration mate.

Simon
    Realistically, what big signing could we make that would be more important to our progress than keeping Berbatov?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You didnt say 'realistically' you said 'any signing'.

Either way. If you think that keeping a player you already have who has never put his future in doubt is better than 'any signing' you couldve made, it doesnt say a lot about your transfer pull. Its not likely to improve your side any, is it?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cuba
    Defoe to Pompey rumours in the local paper down here. Funny thing is people actually think we've got a chance of getting him. LOLZ

We'll probably end up getting Danny Murphy instead.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    You didnt say 'realistically' you said 'any signing'.

Either way. If you think that keeping a player you already have who has never put his future in doubt is better than 'any signing' you couldve made, it doesnt say a lot about your transfer pull. Its not likely to improve your side any, is it?
    The "realistically" is implied, we're not in a world where Tottenham can sign Ronaldo or Kaka, even if we do like to put in sneaky bids for them.

As for the second part of your post - I've always been confident that Berbatov would stay, but while the rumours are there, there's always an element of doubt. It's not about keeping him either, it's about getting him on a long-term deal that keeps him here for a good few years yet - most Spurs fans would admit that while we were confident he would stay this summer, if we failed to get a CL spot again next year, he'd probably be off - now that seems a lot less likely. And it's always most important to keep the quality you've got than to sign new talent.

It's no good signing Bent if we're going to lose Berbatov. Keeping the core of the side - King, Dawson, Berbatov, Keane and Lennon, plus Robbo if he pulls his finger out - is more important to our future than a couple of big signings. All four of those are arguably players capable of bigger things than UEFA Cup football, but we're lucky enough to have them at the Lane. While we're at the level we're at, we can't expect to sign better players than Berbatov or King - and they are key to us reaching a level where we would be able to bring more players of their calibre.

Essentially, keeping them is more important than signing new players, because if we lose them the quality of players in the future won't be as high.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by UK Blue View Post
    Defoe to Pompey rumours in the local paper down here. Funny thing is people actually think we've got a chance of getting him. LOLZ

We'll probably end up getting Danny Murphy instead.
    By all accounts, Defoe is definitely out the door at the Lane - fundamental clash of character between him and Jol, Jol just doesn't like him as a player or a person. Which is weird, because the pair of them always seem to be top blokes.

There are two schools of thought as to where he's going - some rumours have him moving to Chelsea, United or Liverpool, the other school of thought has him moving to Portsmouth, Villa or the Spam. It's a weird one, really - he's probably not good enough for the top clubs, but he's too good to be playing for a mid-table side IMO - the likes of us, Everton and Blackburn are the level he's at. As for where I'd like him to go...we'd get a lot more money selling him to a top side, but on the other hand selling to a top club sends out the wrong signal about where we're going as a club - as well as improving clubs that we should be thinking of as potential rivals. Selling a player like Defoe only increases the gap between ourselves and the top sides.

On the other hand, selling him to a weaker side probably won't get us anywhere near as much money, and also it would see the other side of the coin with regards to selling to other teams - Portsmouth probably consider themselves potential rivals to us in coming seasons, and signing a player like Defoe could bridge that gap, he's a fantastic player.

The best bet would just be for us to keep him. I really hope we do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's going to Sunderland mate.

Simon
    I was just thinking as I clicked the post button that I'd love to see him at Sunderland if he leaves. I like Sunderland and I'd like to see them succeed, and Defoe joining them would give you a much better hope of staying up - while you're not likely to be a club that can expect to be fighting it out with us in the upper-mid table. Everyone's a winner.

I do think you should be aiming for more than just 'avoid relegation' next season, though - and I'm sure Keane wouldn't settle for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keane and Quinn have both said that we're not going up with the "4th bottom is a success" mentality.

I think that one thing that newly promoted teams need to survive is a pacy striker who can score important goals. I think that Defoe would do that. I think that we'd give you a good price for him too. I think that it'd do his career some good as well to be honest playing for someone like Keane and being the main-man in the team rather than the role he's been used in at Spurs for the past few years.

Of course, I dont imagine for a moment that he'd want to move from the South of England. But he's the kind of player I want to see us go for after we've plugged the weaknesses in our side.

Simon
    Well from what I've read about the possible move, he's pretty much admitted that his game hasn't improved the way he would have liked (as I said, the guy really seems to have his head screwed on as well as seeming a very nice lad - the myth of him being a troublemaker is complete shite, probably cos he's black) - so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he'd be happy with a move to a smaller club to get his career back on track. On the other hand, as you say he probably wouldn't want a move up north - he's just got engaged and is settled in London, he's always lived in London...trouble is, there aren't many London options for him. Arsenal - no chance. Chelsea - probably not interested. West Ham - maybe a possibility. Portsmouth is only up the road though, plus he would be back with Redknapp, who absolutely fucking loves hmi.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cuba
    He's a lazy bastard, if he came here I could see him infuriating me. He's the sort of striker we need though. A goalscorer with a bit of pace, someone who plays on the shoulder of the last defender and can get on the end of the good creative work from the likes of Kanu and Kranjcar.

I just don't see him coming here. I don't think he'd want to, and I don't think we'd be willing to spend the £8m-£10m needed to get him. If he does go, Man City could be a possibility, assuming the takeover goes through and they have a bit of cash to splash.

Simon
    Defoe's not lazy at all. Another so-called 'fact' that is absolutely, resolutely untrue. He works very hard for the team, far harder than Keane or Berbatov. As much as I love Keane, his idea of work rate is to jog over to the goalkeeper when he's about to make a clearance and wave his hands about a bit to put him, off. Whereas Defoe chases everything down. A year or so ago he didn't really work that hard (though he wasn't really lazy, I wouldn't say), but nowadays you can't fault his effort.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cuba
    He IS lazy. He stands around looking totally disinterested half the time, granted usually away from home. Some players get themselves involved in games, but when you're not all over a team at home, Defoe's a sure bet to be completely anonymous.

How many good performances away from home has he had this season?

It annoys me because I had high hopes for Defoe a couple of years ago, but his careers really gone nowhere. That's why he's being linked with us, rather than any of the top sides.

Simon
    He's not lazy. It's as plainly black and white as Jermaine Jenas - Defoe is not lazy. He works hard for the team. The idea of him standing around with his hands on his hips, again, is a myth. It's simply not true. It might have been true a couple of years ago, I can't really remember - but it's completely untrue now.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cuba
    Quote Originally Posted by UK Blue View Post
    How many good performances away from home has he had this season?
    I noticed you completely ignored my question, and instead repeated what you had already said twice over, but changed the words around. Hardly convincing.

He hardly broke sweat when he played at Fratton in December. Ditto for the FA Cup game at Cardiff early January. I watched the full 90 minutes of these games, him being lazy is not a myth, I witnessed it with my own eyes. These games weren't a couple of years ago either.

Since then, Berbatov and Keane have pretty much played together in every away game you've had. Defoe's odd start has been in the home games. Why do you think that is?

Simon
    I actually had a list of away games that he's played well in, but changed my mind about listing them because it was fairly obvious I'd had to go onto the BBC website to remember all our games. In any case - how relevant is whether we're home or away when we're talking about work rate? He is not a lazy player - I've seen a lot more of him than you have, and the simple fact is that he is not a lazy player. Alf will verify this. phenom might verify it, although he might back you up because he wants to call Defoe a lazy wog. Defoe is not lazy, there's no other way of putting it. As I said, he works a lot harder for us than Keane, Berby or Mido do. Granted where Berby and Mido are concerned that's not saying much, but in any case he is not a lazy player.

As for Berby and Keane being first choice and Defoe's occasional starts being home games...um, there's a much more obvious reason for that. Jol rates Berbatov and Keane much higher than Defoe, and so only trusts Defoe in the starting line up when we have home advantage - games, essentially, where we can put out a slightly weakened team while still being capable of winning the game. It has fuck all to do with work rate. If it was on work rate, Defoe would be in the first eleven every week because he is our most hard-working striker. Chases balls down, works the channels in order to receive the ball, always harries defenders...he works hard. I'm not saying he's an absolute monster like Smith or Rooney, but he does his share.

Work rate is not his problem. His problem is that football-wise he is brainless. His movement isn't great, he doesn't get into good positions to score and he's caught offside ALL THE TIME. Incredibly frustrating because those elements are such a huge part of a striker's game, and without those elements he's still managed 19 goals despite being third choice this season - if he picked up those skills a little more he'd be a fantastic player. As it is, he's just a very good player. Who works hard.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cuba
    Well, we'll just have to disagree on this one. I'll give you that he works harder than Mido and Berbatov. Mido hardly moves at all. Berbatov can get away with it because he's twice the player Defoe is. Keane's always buzzing around though, making space, closing players down, he's your hardest working forward by a distance as far as I'm concerned.

Simon
    You are wrong. Keane gives the impression of working hard without actually doing it. In fairness to him, when he bothers his arse he is far more effective at closing down than Defoe is - he gets his angles right and closes down space, whereas Defoe just blindly runs at the guy with the ball.

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    While we're at the level we're at, we can't expect to sign better players than Berbatov or King - and they are key to us reaching a level where we would be able to bring more players of their calibre.
    We signed a better player than King from Hertha Berlin reserves for £400K m8.

is better than torn @ rba
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah according to the Actim end of season stats, Toure, who had an absolutely appalling season apparently, was fifth in the defender rankings. Shocking.

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Samba would have been top with a full season under his belt. Ryan Nelsen second similarly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    King would have been better than top if he wasn't injured (and crap)

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crap!? You underestimate the importance of being a big dopey looking cunt who can head the ball away. Its a rare skill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah he's English so Ability - 20 and Hype - 1,000,000

Simon
    We're still in for Bale and apparently for the first time since January, we're ahead of United to sign him, I'm assuming their interest has dropped off a bit.

Also, every window amidst all the people who just pass on the info as they get it, some stupid cunts like to toy with everyone by posting little riddles that supposedly hold info if you can work it out. These people do it with the pretence that they're not allowed to say outright who they're on about, but the clue is there if you get it. Personally I think it's to keep it ambiguous so that if ANYTHING happens, they can try and apply it to their riddle and make out they knew all along.

With that said, someone posted this:

He could not die when trees were green,
    For he loved the time too well.
    His little hands, when flowers were seen,
    Were held for the bluebell,
    As he was carried o'er the green.
    His eye glanced at the white-nosed bee;
    He knew those children of the spring:
    When he was well and on the lea
    He held one in his hands to sing,
    Which filled his heart with glee.
    Infants, the children of the spring!
    How can an infant die
    When butterflies are on the wing,
    Green grass, and such a sky?
    How can they die at spring?"

I have my own theory as to what it might mean, if anything...what you lot reckon?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a fucking clue, Si.

╭∩╮⎝⋋⏝⋌⎠╭∩╮
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're still in for Bale and apparently for the first time since January, we're ahead of United to sign him, I'm assuming their interest has dropped off a bit.

Also, every window amidst all the people who just pass on the info as they get it, some stupid cunts like to toy with everyone by posting little riddles that supposedly hold info if you can work it out. These people do it with the pretence that they're not allowed to say outright who they're on about, but the clue is there if you get it. Personally I think it's to keep it ambiguous so that if ANYTHING happens, they can try and apply it to their riddle and make out they knew all along.

With that said, someone posted this:

He could not die when trees were green,
    For he loved the time too well.
    His little hands, when flowers were seen,
    Were held for the bluebell,
    As he was carried o'er the green.
    His eye glanced at the white-nosed bee;
    He knew those children of the spring:
    When he was well and on the lea
    He held one in his hands to sing,
    Which filled his heart with glee.
    Infants, the children of the spring!
    How can an infant die
    When butterflies are on the wing,
    Green grass, and such a sky?
    How can they die at spring?"

I have my own theory as to what it might mean, if anything...what you lot reckon?
    Someone's signed John Clare?

Simon
    Kaboul is signed apparently, don't know when it's going to be announced but supposed to have been finalised.

Alf
    Barnes has said he now wants to stay at Derby another season. Even if they don't get promoted.

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shame. I wanted to see Robbie Savage kick his bollocks in after trying to do his little WHOOSH thing.

Simon
    Richardson plus cash for Defoe from United apparently.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't be too happy about that. I don't really rate Defoe and Richardson isn't too bad at filling in when we have injuries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much cash.

Simon
    Doesn't say. The exact post was:

Richardson and dough for our little Yido (JD)

Not been accepted but.....not a " not for sale sign"
    So basically we've turned that down, but we're willing to do business.

Turdpower, Defoe is better than Saha or Smith. I think you'd need someone better than Defoe in your first choice line-up but as an impact player and fairly regular starter, you could do much worse. Nineteen goals this season for Defoe.

Simon
    Also, we've had a number of bids for Berby including one massive one (amount not stated) but we've told them all to fuck off

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aye we could do worse, but it just seems we could get alot better. I think if we haven't got anyone by August, I'd go for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saha is amazing, less of the hate.

PHIL IVEY
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd rather have Smith in my team than Defoe, to be honest.

╭∩╮⎝⋋⏝⋌⎠╭∩╮
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Richardson plus cash for Defoe from United apparently.
    That'd better be a fucking huge amount of cash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rossi > Defoe

Keep Richardson for a laugh.

Flying without wings
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rather take Heinze in part exchange, we need a left back.

Don't want Richardson, he'd just dance on the ceiling.

Alf
    Arsenal have enquired after Defoe too....

Vanquisher of Jesus Sucks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah mate. We're getting ETO'O!!!!!!

We just enquired if he was black or Somalian.

Jobber
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in
    saha
    baines
    bale
    bent
    reo cocer

out

mido
    defoe
    murphy
    ghally

and beratov to sign new deal work £40k a week

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go for reo-coker mate.

Alf
    Thanks. Nice first post.

Saha and Reo Coker I very much doubt.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coinas View Post
    in
    saha
    baines
    bale
    bent
    reo cocer

out

mido
    defoe
    murphy
    ghally

and beratov to sign new deal work £40k a week
    Eldanielfire has met his match!!

Simon
    Tottenham striker Dimitar Berbatov has revealed his strike idols growing up were Marco van Basten and Newcastle legend Alan Shearer.

Berbatov admits his first season at White Hart Lane has given him the opportunity of emulating Shearer by being a number nine in the Premiership.

"When I was young I really liked Marco van Basten and Alan Shearer and when we were playing and I got the ball I would say those names and pretend to be them," said Berbatov.

"When you grow up you think you were a bit silly but those times were very special."

Berbatov was impressed with Spurs' treatment during negotiations last summer, which meant he chose them above a number of other interested teams.

The 26-year-old has since been linked with a move to the top four after scoring 23 goals in his first season, but he insists he is happy at White Hart Lane.

"The fact Tottenham wanted me from the beginning, stood by me, always liked me and wanted me to come here," were among his reasons for signing, he said.

"They were the first team to contact me, I really appreciated it and that is why I chose to come.

"From the first day the fans were fantastic to me, they really support me and I am grateful for that."

If he wanted me to suck him off, I actually would. I love him, and want to give him a cuddle.

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Benni could learn a thing a two from him.

Alf
    Benni and Berb in the same team would be interesting.

Simon
    Interesting with sexy consequences?

Alf
    I can't make my mind up. I don't know if they'd work well together.

But, with Berbs supplying the cheeky flicks I reckon Benni would score fucking loads.

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting as in its fun to have everyone around you shouting, "Come on Benni! Run for it, you fucking lazy black bastard!"

Simon
    We already have Mido for that, except change black for Paki even though he's from Egypt.

╭∩╮⎝⋋⏝⋌⎠╭∩╮
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tottenham have slapped a £15 million price-tag on Jermaine Jenas.
    Aston Villa, Everton and West Ham are interested in the England international, but the People says Spurs hope the hefty valuation will put off admirers.
    tribalfooball.com - May 20, 2007

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Not the best of sources there.

Simon
    Spurs have apparently fallen behind in the race to sign Darren Bent, and guess who's got ahead of us...

Some things never change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably want him as replacement for Owen and Martins.

Simon
    Well I'm assuming one of them must be off, as apparently the reason he's set to choose them over us is that he'll be first choice there - I don't see how he's better than Owen or Martins, so something's afoot. Having said that, this is a very dodgy source so I'm not taking too great an interest in it.

Chelsea in for Chimbo apparently, we're trying to price them out of the market. Not sure how I feel about that - on the one hand, I really think we should be looking to keep our best players, especially when it's clubs like Chelsea bidding as we should be trying to catch them, not sell them our better players and let them get further away. On the other hand, if we can get a big money deal out of them for a 29-year old, it could be fantastic business - he's good, but he's not amazing and I think we could sign a solid right back for a lot less money, who would be more defensive and so allow Lennon to play his natural game down the right without losing any solidity at the back - and we could use the extra money to improve the squad elsewhere.

I think we've impressed a lot of people with our performances this season and the lure of playing alongside the Berb could be big for a lot of players - we're in a better position to sign very good players than we were last year, when we were still taking calculated risks on the likes of Berby, Chimbonda, Zokora and the like. Now we're probably better placed to sign established performers for big money.

Alf
    If he goes to Newcastle then we have dodged a bullet. I don't rate him at all. I don't think he's any better than Defoe. I'd rather keep Defoe than shell out 15 mil.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bent is a much much better player. Defoe has a lot of weak areas in his game still, whereas Bent is a more complete forward.

╭∩╮⎝⋋⏝⋌⎠╭∩╮
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with the whole Defoe thing is hes proved that he can't play alongside Keane. That means if we don't play Berby every single match we need 4 strikers.

In my mind we need to offload Mido and get as much money as we can for Defoe (who I think is a far better player than Bent and would really miss) and then get a third striker who is of the same standard but doesn't have that total lack of chemistry.

Our 4th striker should then be one of the youth/reserve players who doesn't expect to play more than 10 games a year.

╭∩╮⎝⋋⏝⋌⎠╭∩╮
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and Bale and Kaboul deals are apparently done according to most of Fleet Street this morning.

breakneck speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes but the tabloids are all bollocks m8.

Not saying they won't happen, the standard of sports journalism in this country just dictates that you cannae believe anything until it's on skysports.com

Simon
    This acceptable enough for you, Flow?

Convincing Southampton is only half the battle, though - we need to convince the boy himself.

╭∩╮⎝⋋⏝⋌⎠╭∩╮
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spurs have, APPARENTLY, just signed Bale.

YUSSS!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SSN are reporting Southampton have accepted an offer but are are waiting for a better offer from United.

FM tactics going on...

╭∩╮⎝⋋⏝⋌⎠╭∩╮
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    United are very carefully not being drawn into bidding wars. The fact that our offer has been accepted say to me that they've decided that Man U won't offer more money.

He'd be an idiot to go to Man U or Arsenal though; how many Left Backs do they need?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well there's always rumours about Henzie going, so if he does then we'd need another one for backup.

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No doubt Bale is a tremendous raw prospect but 17 year old full-backs are invariably ridiculously error-prone. Ashley Cole was a liability well into his 20s.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But he's YOUNG and BRITISH.

Last edited by Winkle van Tinkle; May 23rd, 2007 at 8:16 AM.

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *Welsh

He's probably waiting for us to bid for him because he's desperate to play for Hughesy but Steeeeeeeeephen Warnock is a better player so he can jog on.

╭∩╮⎝⋋⏝⋌⎠╭∩╮
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The beeb seem to think it's going ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by BBC.co.uk
    Bale to have medical at Tottenham

Bale has one year left on his deal at Southampton
    Southampton full-back Gareth Bale will have a medical at Tottenham on Wednesday after the two clubs agreed a fee, reports BBC Radio Wales.

Saints boss George Burley earlier denied reports a fee had been agreed between the two clubs.

But sources close to the 17-year-old expect him to sign within days.

Spurs had a bid of about £10m accepted by Saints in January, but Welsh international Bale rejected the chance to move to White Hart Lane.

The teenage left-back has only one year left on his contract and was also linked with moves to Arsenal and Manchester United.

But following Southampton's failure to gain promotion this season the prospect of first-team football in the Premiership at Tottenham looks to have been enough to change his mind.

Bale made his debut as a 16-year-old last year for Saints - becoming the second youngest to ever play for the club - and this season he has become a regular for Southampton and Wales.

He became the youngest Welsh international when he played against Trinidad & Tobago in May last year - setting up a late winner.

Alf
    Also, Reyes to A. Madrid.

Mido + Cash for Petrov.

Kaboul. Like I said yesterday, he's said he's coming.

PHIL IVEY
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    Also, Reyes to A. Madrid.

Mido + Cash for Petrov.

Kaboul. Like I said yesterday, he's said he's coming.
    Is he fucking Hobbit's mum?

Alf
    Bale medical tomorrow apparently.

Loserweight Champion The Comet Kid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bales ours

my Ole Solskjaer, you make me happy when skies are grey. And Alan Shearer was fucking dearer so please don't take my Solskjaer away
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Manchester United will offer £27.5m plus £11m-rated Louis Saha for Spurs striker Dimitar Berbatov. (Sun)

The Sun does make me laugh. £38m ffs

PHIL IVEY
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saha worth £11m? sdaklfj;asklfasdjfk

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know Melv. hgasdkjshdkias. He's worth at least 15.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That wouldn't really solve our striker problems. It would still mean we don't have enough.

Flying without wings
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Saha wasn't dead then that would be a decent deal.

I don't want to lose Berbatov, but if we were to lose him, that would be a good deal. If Saha wasn't dead, that is.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spurs have confirmed the Bale signing.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you get 30 free kicks a season. I hope he fucking dies

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Add Bale to the list of:

Routledge
    Davis
    El Hamdaoui
    Davenport
    Ziegler
    Atouba
    Reid
    Brown
    Zamora
    Postiga

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rasiak.

Simon
    Getting very excited about the new season already. Signing a main target like Bale is a huge step forward to the club - it was the one thing we didn't manage to do last summer, having to settle for less in-demand players like Berbatov (obviously it worked out better than anyone could have expected). We now seem to at least have a fighting chance when we're bidding for the same players as the big sides. Assuming the Kaboul deal is wrapped up, I think all we really need to do is get a left winger (which we're going all out for, Nani is top of the shopping list and we're prepared to break our transfer record for him) and hopefully a top centre mid, and we'll be laughing. If Defoe goes, we'll still need to sign a top striker to replace him (the Bent rumours are still ongoing), but we're very well placed at the moment. Exciting.

PHIL IVEY
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually agree with whoever it was that said a couple of weeks ago that keeping Berbatov was as important as signing new players. I don't think the likes of Bale and other big name targets would have given Spurs a second thought if Berbatov was leaving to go elsewhere.

Simon
    Kaboul to be announced tomorrow or Tuesday, according to everyone's favourite knowledge-merchant, Ben.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still think you got ripped for Bale mate. He's a decidedly average player. He's only a set piece "star".

Simon
    We'll see.

Simon
    Latest news is that Nani and Bent are very definitely our main targets, remains to be seen whether we can get them - depends on what other bids come in.

Defoe likely to leave, a number of unspecificed clubs in for him (Pompy, Villa and Newcastle?)

If we get an adequate replacement in, we'll let Chimbo go to Chelsea for the £10m they offered - I'm assuming this is a deal that in theory is done, but might not go through for a long while yet.

Ghaly and Mido are the club's priorities to get rid of as we feel we could pull in a decent amount of cash for both of them.

Salty and Tainio are on the last years of their contracts, no indication yet whether they will be kept on. Apparently Jol is happy to let them both see their contracts out, although I don't know whether this means he likes them and would prefer to keep them for a year than sell them, or he is just trying to force them into signing new contracts.

All from BEN. He says it's going to be a busy summer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What does BEN say about Chelsea not having any money to spend this season, so the £10m for Chimponda is rubbish?

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mourinho wanted Benni but the board won't fork out £10m.

Its why they're having to go after the likes of Sidwell, Alex and Ben Haim.

He said he didn't want a right back anyway a few months ago - said he was happy with Glen Johnson coming back for next season.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuncha Bunts View Post
    What does BEN say about Chelsea not having any money to spend this season, so the £10m for Chimponda is rubbish?
    I doubt he would have anything to say about it, as his knowledge isn't of Chelsea's finances. I'm pretty sure Chelsea will have plenty of money to spend, anyway.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    I don't think there's any need to spend big at the moment to be honest, and I very much doubt the board were unwilling to fork out 10 million for McCarthy.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keane has just signed a new five year contract with the Yids

Simon
    It's good to be a Yiddo.

Simon
    Fancy some more rumours?

-We have agreed terms with Darren Bent subject to a medical, but are yet to agree a deal with Charlton. We seem to hold the cards though, as Charlton's one bit of power was that the Spam were willing to offer more - but Bent has said he has no interest in going there, he's intent on moving to Spurs. I suspect this one will run and run, probably until the end of the window before eventually one side backs down or we reach a compromise...we're very confident of getting him, though.

-Jermain Defoe is NOT looking for a move and is happy at the Lane, contrary to reports. Chelsea are apparently sniffing after him, but Jol will only sanction the move if it involves Robben moving the other way.

-Chelsea were in for Chimbonda but the interest seems to have cooled.

-Mido is effectively being forced out of the club due to his poor performances and attitude this season. Blackburn are interested, along with a few European clubs, mostly from France.

-Jol's first pick for the left wing spot is Robben, he really wants him - but if we can't get him, his next pick is Petrov from Atletico Madrid, who we tried to sign last summer and again in January. Petrov is apparently keen on the move, and Madrid are likely to sign Reyes from Arsenal - so it might just be a case of waiting to see if we can sign anyone better. Him and the Berb are supposedly bezza mates, I reckon we should get him in just to keep Berby happy.

[b]We're interested in Morten Gamst Pedersen. This bit of info was very specifically stated that he is not considered an alternative to Robben/Petrov, but an 'as well as'...so I'm guessing Jol fancies his chances of getting one of those two, but wants Pedersen as well...seems an odd move to me, we'd have to spend a lot to sign Pedersen and it wouldn't make sense for any party to have him on the bench. In any case, we've been knocked back with our initial bid. I reckon a straight swap between Mido and the Gamst might be in order.

-We're keeping an eye on Nugent, but it seems pretty likely that he'll go to Everton.

-Villa and Sunderland are both interested in Tainio, but Jol wants to keep him. I hope he doesn't go - he's a really good squad player for us, never lets us down and he's a Yiddo as well...having said that, I almost feel he's wasted as a squad player for us, I think he could do a huge job for a team like Sunderland.

-We're not interested in Reo-Coker. Or, alternatively, we are definitely signing Reo-Coker. Depends which rumour you read. Neither of them are from Ben, so who knows.

-We tried for Parker and could probably have got him ahead of the Spam, but he wouldn't drop his wages and wanted guaranteed first team football. Fuck him, then.

-We're interested in this Jimmy Briand kid, but so are Arsenal, Portsmouth and Middlesbrough. Seems like this one is on the backburner but we are being kept informed.

-We tried to sneak under the radar and get Nani before United could move, but Nani's agent made sure United knew what was going on and they moved very quickly to wrap the deal up. If United hadn't moved so quickly, we could well have got him.

Those are all from one guy (other than the alternative Reo-Coker story, obviously). Others from various sources:

-Kaboul is having a second medical over the weekend. Not sure why, that isn't standard practise, is it? I'd be very wary of signing a player with potential injury problems, considering the struggles King already has.

-We're definitely in for Petrov, and this is key to Berby agreeing to stay

-A shitload of people all saying the same things about the Nani deal - that we moved as quickly as we could to tie it up, but were scuppered at the last minute by United moving incredibly quickly to beat us to him. It seems like we negotiated for ages and eventually agreed a fee, but United came in with an initial bid that matched their evaluation and had his personal terms signed up almost instantly. That's why there was nothing (other than incredibly vague rumours) prior to the transfer being announced, United just moved incredibly fast and incredibly efficiently.

da_special_one
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll have to pay top whack for The Artist formerly known as Gamst if you are to get him. Liverpool are reportedly interested in him and our Chairman has said that we won't sell anyone who Hughes doesn't think he can get a better replacement for.