PDA

View Full Version : X-Box 360: Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

S.H. Styles
November 13th, 2004, 5:18 PM
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=pub&aid=1814

The X-Box will use a customized Pentium III processor from chip maker Intel Corp. (intc) running at a minimum of 600MHz, a next-generation graphics processor from graphics-chip designer Nvidia Corp. (nvda) and an 8GB hard drive.

The hardware will be capable of 1 trillion operations per second and will be able to draw 150 million textured and lit triangles, a basic measure of graphics performance.

"That's way beyond any product that exists today," Gates said. "It's three generations beyond the graphics that PCs are capable of today."

Release date is going to be January 2006 according to another source. Just one more year!

Honestly, I don't think it will stand a chance. N5 is going to be released in December of next year, and a ton of games exclusive to that are coming for it. This will come out as a combo with Halo 3. It's rumored to have 10 times the power of X-box.

Now, when you look at the PS3, it'll be 1000 x better than PS2.

http://ascii24.com/news/i/topi/article/2000/03/13/images/images610528.jpg

This is the leading design.

The controller I forgot where the design was, but it looks like the normal X-box controller, except for these changes:

- The Black and white buttons are under the Y A B X
- The flat joystick (the only one that doesn't twirl) now resembles the PS2 one
- It says Xenon instead of X-box on it

I honestly hope they don't name it X-box Next. Yeah, like that would sell :rolleyes:

Xenon sounds much cooler, and it would appeal to alot more audiences.

As we speak, they are developing it.

Reech
November 13th, 2004, 5:20 PM
There's also talk of 3 'X-Box 2's' aswell

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19615

Looks sweet though.

Judas Iscariot
November 13th, 2004, 9:25 PM
I heard it's not going to have a hard-drive... :(

And what if they called it the "neXt-Box."

TapOut
November 13th, 2004, 9:35 PM
I don't think people won't buy it because it's called X-Box Next. No matter what they call it, some people will think it sounds like crap. I don't see anything wrong with X-Box next. It's no worse than X-Box or Gamecube.

Croc
November 13th, 2004, 10:34 PM
Xenon? I think they're going with that because of the X, but to me it sounds no different from Xylophone or Xenophobia. Just because it starts with an X doesn't mean naming your system after a noble gas is cool.

The Great Dave
November 13th, 2004, 11:35 PM
I hate the three-versions idea. All it does is restrict developers. If I buy an X-Box 2 (...yeah, I probably won't, but still) I don't want to pay extra for a hard drive, but then have no games designed to use it because most people buy the cheaper version of the console, so developers don't risk alienating them. It's such an illogical step. Either put a hard drive in, or don't. Hell, make it expandable in the future if you want. But don't totally split the market like that.

Honestly, I don't think it will stand a chance. N5 is going to be released in December of next year, and a ton of games exclusive to that are coming for it.

N5? As in Nintendo's Revolution (TM)? That won't be coming out till way into 2006. Nintendo aim to release just before Sony, not Microsoft. I still think Microsoft are ending this generation way too soon.

Infestasyde
November 14th, 2004, 12:06 AM
Ah, but i'd say the big thing that Sony has over the rest is the fact that they got their console out first and totally monopolised the market until the Xbox came along. The Xbox potentially can have bigger and better games this time around, and if Microsoft managed to get their console out first AND it managed to be the most powerful of the bunch, that would leave Sony with a few problems. This is just something that I think, but I really have a feeling that Microsoft might manage to prise Rockstar away from Sony and have the new GTA game (this plan totally goes to shit if they decide to release yet another game on the Ps2, but I hope, and can't see them doing it) release first on the Xbox2. Then along with that, if you've got Halo 3 as a release/close to release title, you're doing well.

All in all I can see Microsoft really really putting up a fight in the next generation of consoles and i'd like to see it. I just sincerely hope Nintendo don't go bye-bye.

Beer-Belly
November 14th, 2004, 12:13 AM
Super Nintendo > X-Box 2

Gobot Sodomizer
November 14th, 2004, 12:32 AM
http://ascii24.com/news/i/topi/article/2000/03/13/images/images610528.jpg

That's not a console. That couldn't fit anywhere near my TV cabnet.

Infestasyde
November 14th, 2004, 12:37 AM
Fill in the spaces of the X to create an oblong and it looks to be about the same size as an Xbox.

The Great Dave
November 14th, 2004, 12:47 AM
I'm almost certain I've seen that pic before. Like 3 years ago before.

Microsoft have a really good chance of owning the industry in 5 years if they do stuff like buying Rockstar (of just exclusitivity). God have mercy on us all.

Infestasyde
November 14th, 2004, 5:36 PM
I can just really really see it happening. I don't think Rockstar are tied to any contract at the moment, because I think it ended when San Andreas came out. I think some kind of deal was made where they allowed Rockstar to release the double pack on the Xbox, but only if they released San Andreas on the Ps2 way before anything else.

If you've played the Xbox version of GTA3 then you know how good the port was and you're probably wondering how good they could make the new GTA game if it was on a next generation Xbox. Not sure why, but I can really really see it happening. And of course, Microsoft will be bringing Rare along for the ride, which could also help the Xbox put up a huge challenge to Sony's new Playstation.

One thing that I find fairly noble is that with this generation of console, Microsoft are actually losing money for every single Xbox sold, and they're only making money on game sales. They're basically getting a foothold this generation, and i'm thinking next generation you'll really see them trying to become the biggest and most popular console around, and they might achieve this as it looks as though their console will be out first. You could bring up the Dreamcast and say that that came out first and failed, but Microsoft have some very established big selling game series' that are like to ensure sales of their new console. Like I said before, I don't know about Nintendo, I just hope they manage to stay true to their roots while staying afloat.

Stan Hibbert
November 14th, 2004, 6:18 PM
It looks a bit beefy doesn't it?

The thought of Microsoft taking control of the industry is frightening, but if they obtain the rights to make GTA an XBox exclusive then that's exactly what'll happen. You can bet your nan on it.

We'll just have to see what happens. Personally, I won't be touching anything other than the PS3 and the N5 when they arrive.

The Great Dave
November 14th, 2004, 6:31 PM
Microsoft will own this industry if they release another 2 or 3 consoles. They have such deep pockets that they can literally buy the souls of every developer if they choose. Apart from Nintendo.

PS3 will beat X-Box 2. X-Box 3 will beat PS4. That's how I see it. Microsoft will take losses for a decade, then own it all. I have no hope for Nintendo making consoles in 10 years, and it's honestly sad.

Stan Hibbert
November 14th, 2004, 6:54 PM
The industry will never be the same again the day Nintendo stop making consoles.

The Great Dave
November 14th, 2004, 6:59 PM
It's not been the same since Sega stopped. I never thought I'd miss them that much, even though I loved the Dreamcast. But it just doesn't seem the same any more. Maybe it's a mix of their lack of consoles and just the fact they haven't been making quite as many awesome games lately.

Stan Hibbert
November 14th, 2004, 7:08 PM
I pretty much abandoned Sega after the Mega Drive, so I wasn't too fussed when they quit making consoles. I was only really a fan of the Sonic series, which I thought went a bit stale in the 3D era anyway.

The Great Dave
November 14th, 2004, 7:43 PM
I hated the 3D Sonic games. But they've got games like Virtua Tennis, Shenmue, Chu Chu Rocket, Phantasy Star, Jet Set Radio etc that I simply loved. Sure, they still exist in various forms, but it just doesn't seem the same without them on a Sega console :\

Hacksaw
November 15th, 2004, 10:51 AM
The built in hard drive is THE selling point of the X-Box. If they don't include one, and everything I've heard is that they aren't going to, then I see it falling behind the PS3.

Most of your average high school/middle school/college aged kids that arent really hard core gamers don't really notice the subtle differences between the quality in graphics, and are willing to accept slightly slower load times. What they do notice is when they're getting ripped off for constantly buying memory cards. That's the way I see it.

MyMortisha
November 15th, 2004, 7:01 PM
But why would they name a videogame system after a type of atmospheric gas?.....

The Great Dave
November 15th, 2004, 7:26 PM
Well, they're not. It's quite clearly a code name. Microsoft products always start off with stupid names. Hell, all consoles do. Nintendo would have to be pretty ballsey to release their next console with a name like "Revolution".

PGH Man O Steel
November 16th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Indeed. The current "code name" for the next-generation version of Windows is "Longhorn" so I don't think it will be called "Xenon". It sounds cool, though.

MyMortisha
November 16th, 2004, 6:14 PM
Well, they're not. It's quite clearly a code name. Microsoft products always start off with stupid names. Hell, all consoles do. Nintendo would have to be pretty ballsey to release their next console with a name like "Revolution".

That actually sounds cool. They could market it as such; "For every competing system there has been an Evolution.... But Nintendo is ready to start a Revolution... The Nintnendo Revolution avaiable (Certain Date)....

MyMortisha
November 16th, 2004, 6:15 PM
Indeed. The current "code name" for the next-generation version of Windows is "Longhorn" so I don't think it will be called "Xenon". It sounds cool, though.

Longhorn.... Maybe it could be shaped like JBL's Limo with the long horns on the front.

PGH Man O Steel
November 16th, 2004, 6:16 PM
That's a desktop wallpaper, in fact.

The Great Dave
November 17th, 2004, 5:05 PM
That actually sounds cool. They could market it as such; "For every competing system there has been an Evolution.... But Nintendo is ready to start a Revolution... The Nintnendo Revolution avaiable (Certain Date)....

It certainly sounds good. But I don't think Nintendo would do it. It'll have a much better (read: cooler) name than Gamecube, but I don't think they'll use Revolution.

"That's way beyond any product that exists today," Gates said. "It's three generations beyond the graphics that PCs are capable of today."

I could give you our technical specs - I believe you'd like that - but I won't, for a simple reason: they really don't matter. ... The time when horsepower alone made all the difference is over."

Infestasyde
November 17th, 2004, 6:18 PM
That's why I think Nintendo should always be respected. The graphics in their games are never like...stereotypically good. They leave the trends to other developers and they make their games striking and colourful in their own Nintendo way. Neither way is better than the other, but it means Nintendo will probably always have the console that stands out from the pack. I'm not saying it'll always have the huge games like GTA, Halo or Splinter Cell, but they'll stick to what they know and they'll hopefully get by forever more. It'll be a sad day if Nintendo ever stop making games.

The Great Dave
November 17th, 2004, 6:25 PM
Personally, I think Paper Mario 2 looks better graphically than games like GTA. It just pulls off what it tries to do so much better.

Infestasyde
November 17th, 2004, 6:35 PM
Yeah, that's what i'm saying. You don't really see new graphical trends in Nintendo games, because they don't care. They'll make their games their way, and you'll be stunned anyway. Like Viewtiful Joe, for instance. You won't see huge sprawling 3d areas with normal mapped textures, you'll see a really fucking sweet looking cel-shaded game which hasn't really been done before. A side-scrolling cel-shaded beat 'em up.

I'm with you, man :D

The Great Dave
November 17th, 2004, 6:42 PM
In a way I kind of wish Nintendo would cool it a bit. They're publishing a few games next year (Fire Emblem (http://cube.ign.com/objects/001/001982.html?ui=gamefinder), Geist (http://cube.ign.com/objects/566/566897.html?ui=gamefinder), Star Fox: Assault (http://cube.ign.com/objects/481/481615.html?ui=gamefinder) and The Legend of Zelda (http://cube.ign.com/objects/572/572738.html?ui=gamefinder) that have a less cutesy style to them. While I don't give a shit either way, I think it's important for Nintendo not to alienate people as they have been doing over the last few years.

PGH Man O Steel
November 30th, 2004, 11:40 AM
What about the rumored X-Men Legends 2. That has a cell-shaded look to it.

RockyandTrishRule
November 30th, 2004, 11:51 AM
If the Xblox2 doesn't have a Hardrive then it will have zero going for it and will suck beyond reason. Really from what I hear there won't be much other than graphics improvement with the xbox2 and the use of second rate blu ray techonogly so i don't see what would be so great about it anyways. I for one love the use of memory cards with my ps2 as I play at friends more then I do at my house so I can bring my saved games over a lot easier than having to carry the xbox over to a friends house. I love for the ps3 to have a hardrive and think sony would be completely retarded to not have one in their next system, but I still gonna buy cards for the system seeing as I still play elsewhere more so than at home.

Xbox2 will come out first and be in the lead for a while, but then the ps3 will come out a year later and be much better system and take over the conmsole war yet again. Sony and Mircosoft will be battling it out for the next 20 years at least and I can see Nintendo lasting 10 at most. Problem with Nintendo is their disc are too small to carry a lot and none of their systems are backwards compatable so the fans feel pissed off about that kind of thing.

Croc
November 30th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Well those aren't really problems. The only system to ever be backwards compatible was the PS2, and if you want to be technical, GBA:SP can play the Game Boy games from 15 years ago just fine.

As for the mini-discs, I think Nintendo was going for the space efficient system and they realize now that it didn't work. The mini-discs will most likely be tossed for the regular sized ones for the next system. I wouldn't be surprised if the next system didn't utilize some sort of new media for its games since the DVD seems to have been used to full-capacity. I've been dreaming of the cartridge like games where several discs are stored inside a plastic casing. Not only does it hold several times the space of a regular disc, but the technology wouldn't be hard to produce and there is little risk of damage to the data. I think I've heard talk of one of the systems trying something like that, so it will be interesting to see.

PGH Man O Steel
November 30th, 2004, 12:34 PM
The new HD-DVD format holds about 30GB of memory storage so it's possible that this will be used for all the next-next-generation consoles.

The Great Dave
November 30th, 2004, 2:18 PM
Sony and Mircosoft will be battling it out for the next 20 years at least and I can see Nintendo lasting 10 at most. Problem with Nintendo is their disc are too small to carry a lot and none of their systems are backwards compatable so the fans feel pissed off about that kind of thing.

...have you PLAYED a Gameboy? All Gameboy's are backwards compatable. The Gamecube can hardly play N64 games, look at the medium.

Gamecube disc's aren't small. Developers are just lazy. 1.5gb is enough for a game. Fuck, 32mb is enough for a good game.

I don't get why people care anyways. I have a Gamecube. Why would I pay an extra £20 or so on Revolution for it to be backwards compatable?

Excel
November 30th, 2004, 4:43 PM
Wow, i Just read that the PS3 could have a clock speed of up to 4GHz, now while I know that the clock speed of a processor has much less to do with a machines performance these days, the fact that 4GHz hasnt been achieved y Intel or AMD for PC's, and the fact that Consoles normally have lower specs than the average PC (despite the fact that they appear just as, if not more powerful), it shows just what a fuckin beast the PS3 may be!

Go Sony!

Croc
November 30th, 2004, 5:14 PM
With all the shit Sony is claiming to be putting into the PS3 I wouldn't be surprised if it cost $500 and could do my laundry.

The Great Dave
November 30th, 2004, 7:29 PM
Remember the Emotion Engine? That was supposed to do 50 million billion polygons a second. Look what happened there. Good enough, but hardly world class. Many Dreamcast games look better than PS2 games.

The PS3 will be powerful, but it's not going to be on a totally different level from the XBox 2 and the Revolution. There hasn't been a generation with a clear winner like that since the Game gear Vs. the Gameboy.

Excel
December 1st, 2004, 2:42 PM
Im not saying it will or wont be better than the next x-box, im just poitning out how powerful it will be compared to the PS2

And game graphics depend on the developers of the game as much as they do on the console.

SlicedBread#3
December 2nd, 2004, 1:04 PM
damn i thought this thread was about Xenon 2..i loved that game on my atari st

Reech
April 23rd, 2005, 7:41 PM
You guys are gonna love me for this....

Leaked images of the final design for the Xbox 360 (official name).

http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/media/gamesradar/xbox360234_2.jpg

This image is a bit big so I've spoilered it. :yes:

http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/media/gamesradar/xbox360234_11.jpg

Aeida
April 23rd, 2005, 8:07 PM
Wait a second... Is there only one control slot in the xbox360?

Ozzideps
April 23rd, 2005, 8:11 PM
The first image makes it looks REALLY big, and the second image makes it look quite average/small.

Surge
April 23rd, 2005, 8:12 PM
That's going to be going vertical, otherwise, it's getting knocked down.

That said, I feel kind of bad, because this generation hasn't exactly gotten all the landmark games nor pushed the Xbox to its limits. Look at Jade Empire, how that looks, and that's not even maximizing on the Xbox potential. I'm saying, instead of developers relying on the fact that people will buy their games simply because they have a new gen system, so that they can toss off any real heart into the games they put, they just make it so that the current system gets maxed out. I think, in truth, that there's just a sense of money. It's easy to make 50 bucks a game just because it's a new system and people need games for a new system. At the same time, how hard would it be to make a brilliant game well into a generation, when developers know how to fully push the technology.

Instead of that, though, they want the short cycles, and it works for everybody, but gamers really, who have to douse out 300-400 dollars for a system which'll only have a few crank games which will seem really great, but don't tap the iceberg of what's possible on that new technology.

Ozzideps
April 23rd, 2005, 8:12 PM

Microsoft is slowly taking over the world. People aren't supposed to play with people anymore. They can only play others online!!!

Reech
April 23rd, 2005, 8:16 PM
They got rid of the only things that made the Xbox any good.

4 control ports
Hard drive
Now you probably have to buy the HD as an add-on.

Surge
April 23rd, 2005, 8:17 PM
Reech, those pictures you posted are of two different systems.

Notice on the actual game slot how one arrow goes up in one picture but is to the side in the other. (where you insert the game)

Also, the outlines don't fit each other, and neither do the colors our outlines.

Reech
April 23rd, 2005, 8:19 PM
So it does.

I got them from an article on gamesrader.com

I'm assuming the final final details aren't finished yet.

S.H. Styles
April 23rd, 2005, 8:55 PM
Why would it be white? :wtf:

Vice
April 23rd, 2005, 9:26 PM
[color=Orange][b][font=Arial]http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/media/gamesradar/xbox360234_2.jpg

On the black portion of the side panel, that says 40GB if I'm not mistaken. So I'm guessing it does indeed have a harddrive, and a 40 gigabyte one at that. :yes:

SomeDude
April 23rd, 2005, 9:54 PM

The Xbox 360 will probably use wireless controllers, which is why there's one slot for controllers, and even then I'm not sure that it's really for that.

Pathogen
April 23rd, 2005, 11:55 PM
Wireless controllers can so easily be done crappily, other than that they are great.

Hard drive is ultimately important. More than the graphics or control ports, it's what sets X-Box apart from PS2 for me. Memory cards are shit.

The Great Dave
April 24th, 2005, 6:31 PM
Hmm, not an awful design, but at the same time I was expecting something much better looking. Seeing as the XBox looks like a piece of shit, this is obviously a massive improvement, but I get the feeling that whatever Sony has in mind will probably destroy this.

Making hard drives optional is the most retarded idea ever. You can't cut the market up like that. If a game is released under the condition that you need an optional hard drive to get the best from it, it's not going to sell as well. Developers would not choose to make games that can be played by any less than 100% of the available userbase.

The only way this could work would be if the XBox 2 (or whatever) actually could double up as a TiVo style thing, or media-center, where the hard drive is used for non-game purposes. Which is probably the kind of amazing gaming creativity that's going to ensure this console does well.

Dave M
April 25th, 2005, 8:51 AM
The only way this could work would be if the XBox 2 (or whatever) actually could double up as a TiVo style thing, or media-center, where the hard drive is used for non-game purposes. Which is probably the kind of amazing gaming creativity that's going to ensure this console does well.
That's a great idea, actually. The only problem is that the extra hardware needed would probably add too much to the asking price. It takes more than adding a hard drive to a computer to make it a Tivo.

A Tivo-style box would require an Mpeg encoder and a massive hard drive, especially if they had any plans on making it HDTV compatible - 120Gig+ at the very least, anything smaller would be useless.

Still a great idea, though.

The Great Dave
May 9th, 2005, 3:24 AM
http://img.engadget.com/common/images/1387385638449262.JPG

Meh. I've seen worse, but those buttons look horrible to the touch. That big button in the middle is apparently a "Live" button, that opens up the Live service. Because "x" can't do it alone!

http://img.engadget.com/common/images/8390731317563729.JPG

MEH. Remotes + games = no.

http://img.engadget.com/common/images/1488407751772606.JPG

*changed pic links, thanks Reech*

Reech
May 9th, 2005, 6:04 AM
Dave, I can't get your pics to load.

But, here's a link to, I'm assuming the same 3 shots.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY (http://www2.cex.co.uk/cex_feature.asp?ct=1&id=8070)

T.I (uh oh)
May 9th, 2005, 8:24 AM
Maybe it's just me, but in that close up of the controller, it looks as though there are 4 letters surrounding the shiny silver thing in the middle of the controller. Also to me it looks as though this silver "button" may rotate, perhaps it's a ball of some sort, used for precision movement. Who knows??

Just on a side note, the machine is very, very sleek. The platinum colour is excellent, the concaveness is a nice touch, and the controller looks good in that colour too.

Also, I understand why they are moving towards wireless controllers, but does this mean they have developed a means of integrating force feedback to wireless controllers, without having to fork out for batteries every week?

The Great Dave
May 9th, 2005, 9:44 AM
The thing is definatly not a wheel, apparently. The 4 letters are really numbers, showing the player number.

No, that circle in the center is not a trackball. It's a button that, when pressed, takes you right to the Xbox Live menu, reaffirming Microsoft's focus on their online gaming service.

One of the four numbers (1, 2, 3, & 4) around the button will light up to show you which controller yours is - considering it can be hard to tell otherwise with wireless controllers.

The colour is nice, I don't mind the general design. Controller = :blah:

Reech
May 9th, 2005, 2:41 PM
But, to be fair, Microsoft don't have a good track record with pad designs.

Although, they did redeem themselves with the S Controller.

hed
May 13th, 2005, 1:32 PM
Here's a nice article from CNN....

http://money.cnn.com/2005/05/12/technology/personaltech/xbox360/index.htm?cnn=yes

The Great Dave
May 13th, 2005, 8:13 PM
I couldn't have been less impressed with the MTV show. Microsoft have nothing I care about but Rare, and nothing they showed looked even close to N64 magic. Right now, I'm happy to pass. Show me something that isn't an FPS, racing game or sports sim, and I may care. But then again, I almost certainly won't.

The controllers still suck too.

TapOut
May 13th, 2005, 8:49 PM
I will buy the next X-Box soleley for the purpose of it's potential to be the best system for wrestling games. So far, every WWE game on the X-Box has been crap, but the potential is there. The music ripping and entrance customization is the best. Now, if Nintendo or Sony WWE games integrated the X-Box's customization options, then maybe I would pass.

SomeDude
May 13th, 2005, 9:39 PM
Yeah the MTV show sucked. Here's a video with MUCH more detail than the whole MTV show: http://msxb.wmod.llnwd.net/a274/o2/ourcolony/TheColony_v1_750k.wmv

Pacman811
May 13th, 2005, 9:42 PM
I saw a video on the unveiling of the system, and after watching it and all of the features it will have it just looks amazing.

Is this possibly the system that will out do Playstation?, i think it's safe to say Playstation is the more popular console but they will definitely have their hands full dealing with this.

TapOut
May 13th, 2005, 10:34 PM
I think everything so far looks amazing.

It's too early to really go too deep into things, but here are my hopes for the next gen systems:

I hope all three are great, but that each one will have something unique to set it apart from the other.

Unfortunately, the Gamecube didn't this time around. Sure, it had it's fair share of Nintendo classic games like Mario Sunshine and the usual Nintendo offerings, but it said it ditched DVD playback and all that jazz to focus solely on games. If it's going to make such bold statements like "We're not adding anything extra because it's just a game system", then you need to make sure that your system has more quality games than any other system, and on that front, I think it failed. The X-Box also failed miserably because it's games were never as good as they should have been, they always seemed to focus more on exploiting the system's ability to produce great graphics instead of focusing on making the games fun.
This is why I think Sony owned this time around: it found the middle ground. A system that doesn't look or feel to advanced (X-Box) or too cheesy looking. It looks like a standard VCR or DVD player, especially now with it's slimline design.

Let's see more customization options. Customizable playslist for in-game use, digital photo integration into games, etc. Give us stuff we can't even conjure up right now. Wouldn't it be cool if there was a game that whenever you played online, thanks to everyone's customized whatever, it felt like a new game each time?

T.I (uh oh)
May 14th, 2005, 4:29 AM
Perfect Dark Zero is enuff to get me to buy one. I don't care what anyone said about the game at the silly MTV thing, it will be awesome. Rare will delay it forever if they have to.

Just on PDZ, how the hell can it be a prequel, when the events of PD was Joanna's very first mission? It doesn't seem right to me.

DuskHorizon
May 18th, 2005, 3:44 AM
Gamespot says the X360 has a removable 20GB HDD and that you will be able to buy higher capacity replacements from the shops.

Invi
May 18th, 2005, 8:46 AM
http://img.engadget.com/common/images/1488407751772606.JPG
Comes with control pad, webcam and a head :yes:

XBox360 does look like a massive improvement on the original, but it's still the PS3 that'll be on my shopping list come 2006. The Blu-Ray discs, the Cell processor and Sony's reputation do it for me, even if I hope the XBox360 does well enough to really compete.

TapOut
May 19th, 2005, 4:57 PM
Gamespot says the X360 has a removable 20GB HDD and that you will be able to buy higher capacity replacements from the shops.

Take this for what it's worth, but my local newspaper had an article on the new X360, and it stated that not only will the system come with an upgraded 20GB HDD, but that when removed from the system, it acts as a portable "media center". Might it be a portable MP3 player? Portable MP3/Photo/Video holder? Or simply portable media, meaning it can store files much like a basic HDD or Flash storage device?

It's just a rumor, but hey, still sounds cool. We all know how small a 20GB HDD can be (look at iPods, which can hold 60 gigs in something the size of a pocket calculator.) so it certainly sounds possible.

Also, there was some in depth detail about the online fuction. No longer is it just playing games, but they stated things like being able to buy, sell, and trade customized game add-ons, (like skate parks in Tony Hawk games), custom characters, levels, and more.

It also stated an "always on" game invite mode, which can be toggled on or off. It states that you can "be watching Lord of The Rings on DVD: you can get a game invite while you're watching" - J. Allard, X-Box expert and microsoft employee.

Also pointed out in the article is that the X360 can read and WRITE to CD-R/W AND DVD.... might you be able to pay for a movie online, download it and write it to DVD? Sounds like a possibility.

It sounds like X-Box is taking it's success from the online world and totally taking it's X-Box Live" concept to insane levels.

And on a much smaller note, it says that the faceplate to the X360 is detachable, meaning you can purchase custom faceplates, much like a cell-phone.

This machine sounds amazing, and if even a third of this stuff becomes reality... wow.

And it will all be here by christmas, which is only 7 months away, so the fact that this information is circulating leads me to believe a lot of it is true.

Also, the official site is up..... www.xbox360.com

Dan The Man
May 20th, 2005, 11:50 AM
It appears that the 360 demos at E3 are running off the modified Apple G5s (http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/images/18052005(020).jpg) that serve as devkits, as opposed to off actual machines. It doesn't really mean anything, but I mean, they're a few months from launch and they're still not using production machines? It may not be bad, but it certainly can't be good...

Dan The Man
May 20th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Oh, and then there's this...

I got a chance to talk to a Microsoft Veep about 360’s backwards compatibility.

I mentioned that a lot of people were confused by Msoft’s vague announcement Monday.

He said that the plan was to make all Xbox games BWC, but when pressed said that it had not yet been achieved.

He went on to say that the systems top titles would be compatible, but they hope to make all games playable. He added that while it was the plan, it wasn’t a definite.

That doesn’t sound good at all.

hed
May 20th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Engadget.com has the piece posted where the Xbox 360 will come with Xbox Live Silver for FREE!!

That's sweet.

Chad
May 20th, 2005, 2:05 PM
It appears that the 360 demos at E3 are running off the modified Apple G5s (http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/images/18052005(020).jpg) that serve as devkits, as opposed to off actual machines. It doesn't really mean anything, but I mean, they're a few months from launch and they're still not using production machines? It may not be bad, but it certainly can't be good...

Yeah, they are just running alpha devkits at this time, which will only show off 1/3 of Xbox 360's power. In July the Beta devkits will be shipped to the developers, with the full system hardware of the X360. So better things are yet to come graphically :) .

Personally, I think just on 1/3 power of the actual 360, the graphics look amazing, so with it being on full power soon, everything will be that much better. I can't wait.

hed
May 22nd, 2005, 12:25 PM
yeah, like you said, Chad - when its time to shipe, we'll get the full hardware sys. That guy is just a punk ass bitch and likes to hate on shit before he even gets the facts.

SomeDude
May 26th, 2005, 6:51 PM
HD videos of the Xbox360: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=abde1e02-b529-469e-ae6a-7417fcde9e12&displaylang=en

Can't say how they look because the site appears to be slow at the moment and it's downloading very slowly.

Dave M
May 27th, 2005, 11:47 AM
From what I've read, the new XBOX will run games at 1280x1024 with 4X anti-aliasing by default. Meaning, all games will use this natively.

That may not mean much to non-techies, but believe me, that's pretty impressive for a console system. Most home computers sold today can't compete with that kind of graphics processing power.

SomeDude
May 27th, 2005, 3:25 PM
I sencerely doubt that it'll be by default because current non-HD TV's can't handle resolutions that high. From what's been officially announced, all Xbox360 WILL BE ABLE TO run at 720p, which I think is 1280x1024, but that won't be activated by default. That would be suicide for Microsoft since HDTV still isn't standard and most people don't have HDTV's.

Dave M
May 27th, 2005, 3:55 PM
Here's the article, from a fairly reliable source. This is based on information given to them by ATI's Vice Pres. of Engineering :

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzcxLDE=

In particular, the section on the Smart/Intelligent 3D Memory:

The most incredible feature that this Smart 3D Memory will deliver is “antialiasing for free” done inside the Smart 3D RAM at High Definition levels of resolution. (For more of just what HiDef specs are, you can read about it here. Yes, the 10MB of Smart 3D Memory can do 4X Multisampling Antialiasing at or above 1280x720 resolution without impacting the GPU. Therefore, not only will all of your games on Xbox 360 be in High Definition, but they also will have 4XAA applied.

So, take it for what it's worth :dunno:

SomeDude
May 27th, 2005, 5:17 PM
I think I misunderstood what you said. By "default" I thought you meant activated automatically, when you just probably meant all will be capable of it. The article you showed I know, I've read it before.

Dan The Man
May 27th, 2005, 5:44 PM
In an interview with financial website TheStreet.com, Microsoft corporate vice president J Allard has been quoted as saying that the Xbox 360 will launch at a price roughly equivalent to the $299 launch price of the original Xbox, saying that the price would “be in the neighborhood” of $300.

Previous speculation had ranged from $249 to $399, making Allard’s comments fairly uncontroversial. Allard refused to be drawn on an exact price though, stating that a final decision was still around two months away. The Xbox 360 is expected to launch in November in the U.S., with launches in Europe and Japan also promised before the end of the year.

Speculation within the Japanese business papers has suggested that the PlayStation 3 will also launch at or near the launch price of the PlayStation 2, i.e. ¥39,800 ($369) in Japan. If true, this would presumably mean that Sony intends to mirror the launch prices in other territories – as Microsoft likely intends with the Xbox 360.

The pricing of the Nintendo Revolution, like most other aspects of the console, remains a mystery – although Nintendo has hinted more than once that it will retail for significantly less than either of its two rivals.

Will cross-post this in the PS3 thread to cut down on the "OMG IT'S GONNA BE FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARZ" rumors...

Chad
June 24th, 2005, 4:56 PM
Great gameplay video for Call of Duty 2 for the Xbox 360. Note: it's only running on 1/3 the power of the 360, so when it get's on final hardware the game will be much much better. Can't wait.

PS: Big file

Call of Duty 2 gameplay video for the Xbox 360: http://67.159.3.19/IWN_E3/Call%20of%20Duty...%20-%20High.avi

Chad
June 24th, 2005, 5:00 PM
Weird can't get the link to work.

Reech
June 24th, 2005, 5:04 PM
Post the site that has the link to the video on bro'.

Will be easier :yes:

Chad
June 24th, 2005, 5:58 PM
http://forums.xbox.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=12948128

Hopefully that works, since this where I got it from.

Reech
June 24th, 2005, 6:01 PM
Yeah, had to sign into my MSN Passport and it took me to the link.

:yes:

Looks freakin' fantastic.

Chad
June 24th, 2005, 6:13 PM
Here is another video of a different map: http://files.filefront.com/Call_of_Duty_2_Pointe_du_Hoc_Video/;3855918;;/fileinfo.html

Dan The Man
June 30th, 2005, 3:46 PM
Actual, in-game shots from Project Gotham Racing 3... before lighting effects have been added, apparently... they're big, but oh so worth it...

http://www.bizarreonline.net/news/images/studioupdate/nyshotnew.jpg

http://www.bizarreonline.net/news/images/studioupdate/nyshot2.jpg

Yowza.

http://www.bizarreonline.net/index.php?action=fullnews&showcomments=1&id=32

hed
June 30th, 2005, 4:30 PM
I'm getting one and a bunch of games with next year's income taxes, so you can all kiss my ass.

T.I (uh oh)
July 23rd, 2005, 10:14 AM
Since Australia is getting ass raped by MS in regards to a late release, would anyone here suggest importing a European machine and modding the power supply??

S.H. Styles
July 23rd, 2005, 11:19 AM
I'm getting one and a bunch of games with next year's income taxes, so you can all kiss my ass.

You've said that more than once in other threads :wtf:

Dan The Man
July 29th, 2005, 1:38 PM
http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/home/xbox-360-to-go-hddvd-114998.php

So apparently the 360 will eventually sport an HD-DVD drive, but at least not through the initial supply. Somewhere down the line they will make the switch, but no one is saying when.

Or in other words: tough shit for anyone who pre-ordered or is planning on getting one in 2005 (at least).

Reech
July 29th, 2005, 1:47 PM
Thank god I'm waiting for summer :)

Chad
July 30th, 2005, 12:50 AM
Probably a good thing though, since Toshiba(HD-DVD) and Sony(Blu Ray) are more then likely going to be fighting it out for the next DVD standard.

Dan The Man
August 16th, 2005, 12:52 PM
The word on the street is that the official word on pricing and release date may come within the week, so this should be an quickly confirmed-or-denied rumor: according to the Swiss Microsoft page, the 360 will cost 600 Swiss Francs, which is about $477 (http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/entertainment/xbox-360-price-leaked-600-swiss-francs-477-117555.php). Now, obviously the fact that it's 600 on the button means it's going to be a rounder number in the US, but pretty much any and all round numbers in that area have one thing in common: they're whoppingly expensive. Certainly more than I was presuming (not that I'm intending to get a 360, but down the road for PS3 and Revolution).

Anyway, yeah... like I said, there seems to be the belief that the official word will come very soon, which makes sense if they're looking at a November/December launch.

Chad
August 16th, 2005, 2:05 PM
I could be wrong of course, but I am expecting a price range of $299 - $350US as the launch price. J Allard the vice president of Xbox 360 in an interview said that is more then likely what the price point will be. I'll see if I can find that interview and post the link.

Dan The Man
August 16th, 2005, 2:23 PM
http://forums.rajah.com/showpost.php?p=3417220&postcount=80

Dan The Man
August 17th, 2005, 10:54 AM
It's official: $299 for the base (read: crappy) model, $399 for the premium.

A two-tier pricing plan for the launch of Xbox 360 has been revealed by Microsoft allowing the company to cite a sub-$300 launch price. But consumers are clearly being steered towards the more expensive option. One leading analyst has called Microsoft's strategy a "PR play"

A basic version of the machine will launch at $299 without a hard drive when it arrives in November, but a $399 version will also be available offering a 20-gigabyte hard drive, wireless controller, headset, Ethernet cable and wireless television remote control.

The 'premium edition' will sport metallic detail on the box, and come with $200 worth of extras. These include the detachable hard drive, wireless controller, a faceplate, headset, Xbox Live Silver membership a wireless remote and a HD-AV cable.

The $299 'core system' is being pitched as 'fully expandable' but does come with a controller, a faceplate and a standard AV cable. The hard drive will retail at $99.99. 64Meg memory units will cost $39.99. The wireless controller will cost $49.99.

"With both the Xbox 360 and the Xbox 360 Core System, we're offering consumers real choice and real value," said Peter Moore, corporate vice president of worldwide marketing and publishing for the Home Entertainment Division at Microsoft. "We're bringing true next-generation experiences into gamers' living rooms this Christmas holiday."

Michael Pachter, analyst at Wedbush Morgan Securities said, "I don't think many people will buy the $299 box, since the option value is high. I think it's a PR play, so Microsoft can claim they launched lower than Sony."

He added, "I think the pricing strategy is correct, and I think that Microsoft will maximize revenue without gouging customers while maintaining the flexibility to cut price at PS3's launch."

Microsoft's approach to the hard drive problem has been a source of much speculation in recent months. Many pundits have long expected an announcement of this sort, with the added availability of a hard-drive as an add-on. (See Next Generation's Xbox 360 Tech Profile, June 2005)

Microsoft's hard drive strategy with Xbox was a winner at launch, but has hampered the company in its attempts to bring the price of Xbox down in more recent years.

But the company's strategy has its faults. Two differing options at launch could confuse the market, and retailers are unlikely to be overjoyed at the prospect of stocking and displaying separate offers at the busiest time of the year, especially one which, while cheaper, is significantly less value than the other.

Most consumers will opt for the higher-priced bundle at launch, given the value of the offer and the nature of the early-adopter consumer. With the addition of a couple of games, it's difficult to see many new Xbox 360 owners leaving a store with much change from $550.

But Microsoft will be happy that it is entering the market with a competitive price; and that it will have time to prepare a decent installed base before the arrival of PlayStation 3 in 2006.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=784&Itemid=2

Chad
August 17th, 2005, 11:38 AM
I think not having the HD standard is a fucking stupid idea. It was one of the reasons that set it apart from the PS2. Needless to say I am disappointed in MS, as they lied to the consumer, because they have said in many interviews and their spec sheets that the 20gb HD would be standard. I'll more then likely still buy it and go with the $399 version. Stupid idea on MS's part.

Reech
August 17th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Or, for the Brits:

£210 without and £270 with. ;)

S.H. Styles
August 17th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Sean, change the thread title to Xbox 360, ok?

Reech
August 17th, 2005, 1:01 PM
I'll get him to do it when I speak to him next.

Also, the HDs will be only be 20gb.

So a £70 markup for a something thats probably only worth £20.

S.H. Styles
August 17th, 2005, 4:51 PM
Good job :yes:

xizor
August 17th, 2005, 7:31 PM
Microsoft never officially said the HD will be standard. Its was only speculation and as of now its not. That doesn't mean there won't be some standard space on the console itself for game saves and minor stuff. Does it really matter if it doesnt or not? You can buy the vers that has it for the same amount if you bought it seperate and are you really going to use up the whole 20 gb for games? Sure you might use it for multimedia but do you really want to turn your 360 on everytime and use it like a computer without the actual features of a PC or use it as a console and play the shit out of it. Seriously some people bitch just to bitch. Its like the endless arguement of which is better: PS3 or 360, when looking at the specs they are almost identical.

The Great Dave
August 17th, 2005, 8:18 PM
If the hard drive isn't standard, then it won't be used in many games. It makes it a pointless addition, with no gameplay-enhancing other than a few extras like custom music.

...well, that isn't for sure, but you see my point.

£210 is a good price. £270 isn't. I'll wait for the hard drive version to be near £200 if I get one. Hell, I'll wait for Rare to release something good.

TapOut
August 17th, 2005, 10:38 PM
Just because the hard drive isn't standard doesn't mean it won't be used very much. I'd wager it's going to be used for game extras: extra player models, downloadable game content like extra levels, arenas, etc., and stuff that would otherwise be too big to fit onto a memory card. And of course, downloadable multimedia will play a big part. Some people may not care one way or the other about being able to download video, music, etc. to their XBox, but I think it's going to be awesome. I think it would be cool to download a movie and burn it to dvd, or download music and burn it via my XBox.

And like I said, just because it isn't standard doesn't mean it won't be utilised. I'm going to guess quite the opposite: I think they will find great ways to use it to make people who don't have them want to go buy one, and the ones who already have one want to go buy a large capacity one.

Reech
August 18th, 2005, 4:52 AM
Well, I'm probably gonna need one for XBL.

But, I'm waiting til Summer anyway so they should be a bit cheaper then.

Reech
August 18th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Right then ladies.

Just got in from work, where we got all the retail info for the X:360.

Basically:

£210 'core system'

No HD
Not backward compatible
Wired pad
Not XBox Live capable

£280

Wireless Pad
DVD Remote
XBL Headset
XBL Silver (out of the box)
Backwards Compatible
20gb HD

GAME are taking £20 deposits now to get yourself 'in the queue' for one.

Games are retailing at £50 (at the moment). With the odd one being £45.

Brian M.
August 18th, 2005, 1:23 PM
The cheap one isn't even X-Box live compatible? Who the hell is going to buy that? What's the point of putting out a cheaper model? Just so they can say "Oh look we got one for under 300!"? They aren't fooling anyone. I'm waiting for the PS3 myself anyway, and I'm hoping they don't pull the same crap.
________
tiny tits Webcams (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/small-tits/)

mayhem420
August 18th, 2005, 1:38 PM
I just read an artical on CNNmoney.com about this.

The only diffrence according to them is that the "core system" wont be able to play old X-box games unless you buy the hard drive extra. The "complete system will be able to do that since the hard drive is included.
No were does it say the Core system isnt xbox live compatible.
The real reason for the 2 systems is that one will come with everything you need while the cheaper one will need you to go buy the extra controller and hard drive. I guess thats supposed to be for people who cant afford the extra $100 dollars.

Heyyo
August 18th, 2005, 2:44 PM
I think it sux ass that they are making a "core system" and one with a hardrive.For one hundred extra dollars you get the 20 gig harddrive, and the wireless controller.So my ass will be forking over the 100 bucks, but i ain't feelin it.

S.H. Styles
August 18th, 2005, 2:46 PM
They'll probably cut the price in half the next year, which when I'll get it.

Watch me get it at the release of Halo 3 :(

I reckon they'll have a pack which comes with Halo 3 for like the same price it is now, $299.99...

mayhem420
August 18th, 2005, 3:55 PM
Well with PS3 coming out at the same time as HALO3 you know the price of the Xbox 360 will probibly drop a bit but I dont think it will be that much.
I will get it the day it comes out pay $400 and then buy the PS3 when that comes out pay THAT full price two. Cause I am a sucker like that. :(

Reech
August 18th, 2005, 5:13 PM
Dude, its not XBL compatible.

It needs a HD to use it. Trust me, I'm in the industry.

The Great Dave
August 18th, 2005, 6:30 PM
That's pathetic. All the shit Microsoft go on about their HD Generation, and internet gaming being the future, and they're releasing a piece of hardware that supports neither? Bullshit.

S.H. Styles
August 18th, 2005, 7:43 PM
Dude, its not XBL compatible.

It needs a HD to use it. Trust me, I'm in the industry.

:wtf:

Anybody who forks out 300 dollars for it is a moron then. Just dish out another 100 to get the real thing.

Microsoft knows this and is trying to trick people :nono:

TapOut
August 18th, 2005, 8:56 PM
That's pathetic. All the shit Microsoft go on about their HD Generation, and internet gaming being the future, and they're releasing a piece of hardware that supports neither? Bullshit.

It's not bullshit.
Some people (and by some, I mean a lot) of gamers don't care about online play, downloads, etc. A lot of people just want a box that plays good games. The cheaper model will give them that.

I think there's a lot of casual fans who just play the random NFL or NBA or Halo at their convenience, but aren't big-time into video games. If you ask me, this is great for them. If you're not going to buy the cheaper model, then what's the big deal? X-Box is releasing a base model that will perform the fundamentals. I don't see where the issue in this is.

Chad
August 18th, 2005, 10:50 PM
I agree tap out. Only thing that concerns me is that the devs won't utilise the hard drive and it splits up the community somewhat. Otherwise all the accessories you're getting with the Premium package is well worth the $399 price tag. If you bought the core package and then bought the accessories seperate it would be well over the $399 price tag. I'll be getting the premium package on launch.

Reech
August 19th, 2005, 3:37 AM
Put yourself in the place of an adult with an 8 year old kid.

Would you wanna spend $100 more on a console that has features the kid won't use?

It's just a dedicated stand-alone gaming console (the stripped down one), which is perfect for the younger generation. Once they age and become interested in XBL etc, his parents can buy the HD and voila.

The Great Dave
August 19th, 2005, 7:56 AM
It's not bullshit.
Some people (and by some, I mean a lot) of gamers don't care about online play, downloads, etc. A lot of people just want a box that plays good games. The cheaper model will give them that.

I think there's a lot of casual fans who just play the random NFL or NBA or Halo at their convenience, but aren't big-time into video games. If you ask me, this is great for them. If you're not going to buy the cheaper model, then what's the big deal? X-Box is releasing a base model that will perform the fundamentals. I don't see where the issue in this is.

The issue for me is that £300 is too expensive for a games console, and the £210 version doesn't offer the majority of features Microsoft have spent months going on about. I'll agree it may be good for casual gamers, but I fear that if the cheeper version is too popular by comparison to the more expensive one, developers will have less insentive to use all the possible features of the 360. Features that could potentially be pretty good. The hard drive is a huge deal for me, because of the potential it offers, but this announcement really doesn't fill me with hope it'll be effectivly used in the majority of 360 games, which is what I'd hoped for. And I know you can upgrade the console later, but I think that without it being standard issue, the popularity of it's use in games is going to suffer.

Dan The Man
August 19th, 2005, 10:41 AM
An interesting take, as always, from Kotaku

Let me get this straight, for $300 I can get an Xbox 360, but it won’t play Xbox games, won’t be wireless and won’t come with a remote control or harddrive. Or I could spend $400 and get the things that the 360 should really ship with, but it still won’t come with a game or have the stuff I really want.

To truly have the system that Microsoft talked about when they unveiled the 360 I would have to spend closer to $650. Here’s the break-down:

Xbox 360 Standard: $399.99
Gold Xbox Live Subscription: At least $49.99 (Likely more.)
Wireless Networking Adapter: $99.99
Second Wireless Controller: $49.99
Two Play and Charge Kits: $19.99 times two.
Total: $639.94

And that’s without what will likely be a very pricey Xbox 360 game, which could push the total closer to $700…and don’t forget the HDTV.

So the question is, how much are you willing to spend for gaming? If you had $700 would you buy a loaded 360 or the couch you’ll be sitting on to play those games?

Surge
August 23rd, 2005, 12:53 AM
I want to buy an N64 before those become vintage, because in a few years, they'll be worth a few hundred dollars and be impossible to buy.

Plus, I've never owned one so there's a library of games I haven't dealt with.

For seven hundred dollars, I could buy the N64, a lot of memory cards, and a terrific bit of great games at now discount prices, and still have about 550 dollars left.

Why doesn't Microsoft just cut the bullshit. They can make a less expensive system with features that are just as strong. They don't need to be toying the way they are. The truth is they're overdoing it, making their hardware to expensive for themselves when quite honestly, they don't need too. Neither does Sony, and neither does Nintendo. As a matter of fact, if all was right with the world, they'd still be working on refining game mechanics and making great games for the current generation as this generation would likely have a much longer shelf life.

It's better to have developer's work on making great games than all that other trash. It's minimal waste that's been overglorified, and Microsoft is really overspending on their product, just like they did with the Xbox.

You guys forget, the scaled down model will probably mean that you need to buy a memory card, and that'll cost about another fifty bucks anyways.

It's such a waste. For seven hundred dollars, I ought to be able to have intercourse with it. It doesn't make sense that the gaming industry has gone this way, but it also doesn't look like it can be helped. Hopefully though, one of the companies just cuts the shit and sticks to just having a bunch of great games, and focusing on that, and maximizing the use of the hardware they have as opposed to trying to maximize the hardware itself. Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Playstation, these systems are nowhere near as powerful as the current stuff, but they had loads of great games and were more recent examples of just great gaming fun. You can still enjoy a lot of the games made for those systems. So, if you could do that on 8-bit systems, then why worry so much about making a powerhouse. I'd be lured in much more by a campaign that involved focus on an array of really fun games.

Holmes_Fans
August 25th, 2005, 7:35 PM
I'm not sure if this has been posted

Here's a breakdown of all the info:

Xbox 360 Core System - $299 (299 Euros, 209 GBP)
•Xbox 360 console
•Wired controller
•Detachable faceplate
•Xbox Live Silver membership
•Standard AV cables

Xbox 360 - $399 (399 Euros, 279 GBP)
•Xbox 360 console
•20GB detachable hard drive
•Wireless controller
•Wireless Xbox Live headset
•High-definition AV cables
•Ethernet cable
•Xbox 360 Media Remote Control (limited time)
•Detachable faceplate
•Xbox Live Silver membership

Xbox 360 Accessories
• Faceplate ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
• Hard Drive (20 GB) ($99.99, 99.99 Euros, 69.99 GBP)
• Memory Unit (64 MB) ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 22.99 GBP)
• Wireless Networking Adapter ($99.99, 79.99 Euros, 59.99 GBP)
• Wireless Controller ($49.99, 44.99 Euros, 32.99 GBP)
• Play and Charge Kit ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
• Rechargeable Battery Pack ($11.99, 14.99 Euros, 9.99 GBP)
• Controller ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 24.99 GBP)
• Headset ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
• Universal Media Remote ($29.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)
• Component HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)
• S-Video AV Cable (US) ($29.99)
• SCART AV Cable (Europe) (24.99 Euros, 17.99 GBP)
• VGA HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)

Ricky
August 25th, 2005, 8:11 PM
I already have a N64 and it's fucking great. I reccommend it, Surge. I'm actually trying to find a SNES and NES.

The Great Dave
August 26th, 2005, 7:43 AM
Crazily, I don't, and have never owned, a SNES. It's something I may fix as soon as today, if I can find Super Metroid and Mario All Stars at my local Gamestation.

I may be lazy, but is there a list of launch games coming out for the XBox 360? End of the day, I'm a man that likes my video games, and there is one thing that I like about the XBox 360, and that's the Media Center hook-up. I've got a Media Center PC, and the ability to play all the shit on here on my TV is something I can find quite cool. Of course, it's nothing I probably couldn't do for less money with other devices, but if the launch games are good I may be tempted to buy one.

Of course, all I expect are racing and sports games. Which isn't going to do shit to convince me to buy one. I take it Rare have nothing out? How about Capcom? Or any good Japanese developer?

Vice
August 26th, 2005, 7:53 AM
Rare is releasing the new Perfect Dark game, and they're aiming for it to be released at launch.

Looks decent from what I've seen. 64 people playing each other simultaneously online sounds incredible.

The Great Dave
August 26th, 2005, 7:55 AM
Perfect Dark is a launch title? For Rare, that's fucking bizzare. They met a deadline?! ;)

Not so much interested in the online play, as theres no way I'm paying for it. Does the "silver" pack (is that what comes with it? Something like that) let me play for free?

Banjo Threeie is the system-seller. That, and Shenmue 3 (which is allegedly still on), should it be an exclusive.

Vice
August 26th, 2005, 8:00 AM
Like I said, mate, they're aiming for it to be released at launch. If Rare makes a deadline, I'll be impressed.

I don't believe the silver pack lets you play for free, no. The silver pack is a way of getting you online so you can download updates, patches, and whatever else may be available. The gold pack is what lets you play online and you have to pay for it. If it's the same cost as Live right now, it's not expensive at all and very much worth it. In the US it's about $5 a month. Is that really too much to pay for hours and hours of entertainment? However, I believe you're in the UK and I don't know how much they charge.. it could be a lot more for all I know.

The Great Dave
August 26th, 2005, 8:06 AM
Hmm. We'll see. If they let me pay monthly there'd be no problem. I don't want to have to pay for a year though.

Vice
August 26th, 2005, 8:11 AM
With the original Xbox you can buy a Xbox Live pack which comes with a headset, a game, and either 3 months or 1 year of Live depending on which one you buy. When you factor in the game ($30-50) and the headset ($30) the Live subscription is practically free.

Otherwise you can just pay it monthly and I'm sure you can cancel at any time without any obligation. So yeah.. I hope they keep that. I very much recommend it, Dave. I'm not going to force it on you or anything, but it's worth every penny.

Live is crazy, too. I was playing a 4 on 4 game of Halo, and one of my teammates lived in Canada, one in England and one in South Africa. Who would've ever thought the 4 of us would've ever gotten to play together?

The Great Dave
August 26th, 2005, 8:18 AM
If I end up getting a 360, it's a definate possibility. I just don't want to pay for a subscription I may not use. And seeing as it's free on Revolution, and probably PS3, I'm reluctant to spend on it. The Live Pack sounds like a good enough deal though.

Vice
August 26th, 2005, 8:49 AM
When I bought Halo 2, it came with 2 free months of Live. I thought "why the hell not?", so I gave it a shot and was absolutely hooked.

I have phases where I'll play games to death and then stop playing games for a long time while I'm caught up with something else.. so anyway, I left my 2 month subscription to Live die while I was in school and busy all the time. Later I went out and bought the $70 Live pack which got me Crimson Skies, the headset and a year of Live.

Long story short, it asked me to put a credit card number in when you first register, because it charges you $5 a month after the 2 free months which I didn't know. But hey, I used my mother's credit card. Blahahaha. She has yet to mention the $5 "Microsoft" charge she's getting every month, but it's been over half a year. I don't think she cares and I don't really care either.

I'm left with the 1-year subscription code that I have yet to use. If you decide to get a 360 let me know, and if I still have the code; it's yours. A free year of gaming.. can't complain, can you?

Chad
August 26th, 2005, 3:13 PM
The bundles for Xbox 360 are in. I think it's just for online ordering anyway, but could be wrong, I guess. I won't be going with a bundle.

Core Bundle all the way up to Omega Bundle: http://www.gamestop.com/gs/360/360.asp

MACE
August 26th, 2005, 3:25 PM
I work for GameStop, and no instore bundles have been confirmed yet.

Chad
August 26th, 2005, 3:31 PM
Ah, hopefully they don't do in store bundles, or at least give you the option to buy a bundle or whatever you want. I just want to buy what I want to buy.

I am going with this:
Xbox 360 "Premium" system
Call of Duty 2
Perfect Dark 0
Madden 06
NBA Live 06
Play and charge kit

Maybe 1 extra wireless controller.

MACE
August 26th, 2005, 3:34 PM
Reech, who do you work for?

S.H. Styles
August 26th, 2005, 4:45 PM
Who the FUCK will pay $2,000 for Gaming? I'd like to punch that person in the face.

JASONX
August 26th, 2005, 4:47 PM
I played a 360. Its pretty fun. I cant tell you where or how I got to play it because it was a game test run on it, but i did play it. It makes current gen look pretty sketchy, as it should, but im still waiting for the ps3.

Reech
August 26th, 2005, 5:24 PM
Reech, who do you work for?

GAME.

Biggest video game retailer in the UK.

Heyyo
August 28th, 2005, 12:31 PM
I work for GameStop, and no instore bundles have been confirmed yet.

I tell ya, if people can afford 1,000 dollars for a game system, more power to them....that is just crazy.

MACE
September 3rd, 2005, 7:14 AM
GAME.

Biggest video game retailer in the UK.

Not for long...

GameStop are coming...

:)

Which GAME you work in? You the manager or anything?

S.H. Styles
September 3rd, 2005, 12:24 PM
I want this so bad, but I don't want to shell out that much money for it. I can, but I definately don't want to.

Think it will drop in price in 2006?

Surge
September 3rd, 2005, 12:26 PM
Buy it in 2007 when all the games have come out, and the price of the hardware goes down once Microsoft realizes 700 hundred is a bit much.

The Great Dave
September 3rd, 2005, 1:50 PM
That's what I'm doing with the PS2 :yes:

S.H. Styles
September 3rd, 2005, 2:20 PM
That's what I'm doing with the PS2 :yes:

:wtf:

TapOut
September 3rd, 2005, 2:43 PM
What's so hard about finding N64s, SNES and NES sytems? There's a game store where I live with shitloads of them in shrink wrap selling for 30 dollars, all three systems available, as well as Genesis, Dreamcast, PS1, and even some Ataris which I think they sell for around 50 bucks or something.

Reech
September 3rd, 2005, 4:06 PM
Not for long...

GameStop are coming...

:)

Which GAME you work in? You the manager or anything?

Lincoln, the Debenhams one and the main store (I flick between the two) and no, I'm just a lowly sales assistant.

But, I'm fucking good :yes:

If I wasn't at Uni, I'd be pushed for the vacant Senior Sales Assistant job at the Debenhams one.

Ricky
September 3rd, 2005, 11:35 PM
What's so hard about finding N64s, SNES and NES sytems? There's a game store where I live with shitloads of them in shrink wrap selling for 30 dollars, all three systems available, as well as Genesis, Dreamcast, PS1, and even some Ataris which I think they sell for around 50 bucks or something.

Not in my area.

Coheed
September 4th, 2005, 1:00 AM
Tycho & Gabe said it best:

http://penny-arcade.com/images/2005/20050819l.jpg

Brian M.
September 4th, 2005, 1:13 AM

It's impossible to find any old systems where I live. Once they get any in stock at any of the EB Games or other stores such as that, they are sold out the first day they arrive.
________
Toyota Corolla E20 History (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_Corolla_E20)

Cubed-Sphere
September 5th, 2005, 7:35 PM
Just pre-ordered mine today.:)

I'm a loyal consumer to both Microsoft and Nintendo, I have no desire at all to ever own a PS3. To be fair, I don't know as much about that system as I do the 360... but also, I don't care. Burn, Sony.

The Dord
September 6th, 2005, 4:00 PM
I won mine from the Mountain Dew contest sunday mornin'. I am waiting for my confirmation email (said it can take up to 72 hours~)

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/1605/xbox3609ty.jpg

Surge
September 6th, 2005, 9:26 PM
To be honest, I wouldn't winning an Xbox 360, but I really dislike mountain dew.

Ricky
September 6th, 2005, 10:45 PM
Blasphemy. Need for Speed still sucks:D

The Dord
September 7th, 2005, 2:01 AM
To be honest, I wouldn't winning an Xbox 360, but I really dislike mountain dew.

Do you like pepsi or sierra mist? They are on those bottles as well :)

The Dord
September 7th, 2005, 3:26 PM
http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/777/x360winner6db.jpg

Here is my confirmation.

Deathcow
September 7th, 2005, 3:31 PM
Okay, you won an X-box 360. We get it.

Chad
September 7th, 2005, 3:47 PM
I think he was taking flack in the asylum for it haha, so he probably wanted to prove it. Congrats on the win though dude. I have been trying to win this damn thing from Mt. Dew, but haven't had any luck so far. I never win anything :(.

S.H. Styles
September 7th, 2005, 3:58 PM
http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/777/x360winner6db.jpg

Here is my confirmation.

My sources at every10minutes.com have told me that the address you have entered is invalid. Please call the phone number listed, give the number and change your address to the one I give you in a PM.

S.H. Styles
September 7th, 2005, 3:58 PM
I think he was taking flack in the asylum for it haha, so he probably wanted to prove it. Congrats on the win though dude. I have been trying to win this damn thing from Mt. Dew, but haven't had any luck so far. I never win anything :(.

Have you tried entering 20+ codes at a time? Don't waste money entering one at a time. Enter them all at a time where no one will enter.

The Dord
September 7th, 2005, 4:20 PM
My sources at every10minutes.com have told me that the address you have entered is invalid. Please call the phone number listed, give the number and change your address to the one I give you in a PM.

You big phishing scammer you ! :D

S.H. Styles
September 7th, 2005, 5:59 PM
You big phishing scammer you ! :D

How many codes did you enter? Just one?

Then you ARE lucky.

The Dord
September 7th, 2005, 6:17 PM
How many codes did you enter? Just one?

Then you ARE lucky.

My winning entry had 2 codes in it. (10 min sweep had 250 ish caps at that time)

S.H. Styles
September 7th, 2005, 8:00 PM
My winning entry had 2 codes in it. (10 min sweep had 250 ish caps at that time)

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

You won with only two? DAMN.

How many caps do you think will be entered at like 5:20 AM on a Wednesday morning? I've concurred thats the best time, because that would mean 2:20 out west....

If I enter like 7 caps at that time, do you think I'll win?

AudioDynamite
September 7th, 2005, 8:30 PM
Resident Evil 5 and Perfect Dark 2......nuff said

The Dord
September 7th, 2005, 8:53 PM
:wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

You won with only two? DAMN.

How many caps do you think will be entered at like 5:20 AM on a Wednesday morning? I've concurred thats the best time, because that would mean 2:20 out west....

If I enter like 7 caps at that time, do you think I'll win?

You have a decent chance then, but I would save 30 or more caps and put it in slots like this

2am- (2 caps per entry)

3am-

and pick 3 entries which you will use 4.

Edit- I made a strategy guide, but I don't know If i should post it in this thread or make a new one. Tough call.

Chad
September 7th, 2005, 9:20 PM
Have you tried entering 20+ codes at a time? Don't waste money entering one at a time. Enter them all at a time where no one will enter.

The most codes I put in was 10 at like the 2:20 am slot. There was like 280 some entries, and still didn't win. Lately I have just been putting in 3-5 codes at a time. I am sure I won't win, as I normally don't win things of this nature, just not lucky. I still have mine pre-ordered for first shipment and $350.00 down so far. Either way i'll get it on launch day.

S.H. Styles
September 7th, 2005, 9:29 PM
The most codes I put in was 10 at like the 2:20 am slot. There was like 280 some entries, and still didn't win. Lately I have just been putting in 3-5 codes at a time. I am sure I won't win, as I normally don't win things of this nature, just not lucky. I still have mine pre-ordered for first shipment and $350.00 down so far. Either way i'll get it on launch day.

DAMN. SO I guess it isnt a good idea to put so many codes late, if they get that many entries....

I guess putting in 3 at a time for like a month will give you good odds of winning.

The Dord
September 7th, 2005, 9:39 PM
DAMN. SO I guess it isnt a good idea to put so many codes late, if they get that many entries....

I guess putting in 3 at a time for like a month will give you good odds of winning.

Thats the idea :) Bug your friends or go dumpster diving for codes.

My next post will have the strategy guide.. Please for all intent of purposes take it as a Bible, but base it on what you do to win :)

The Dord
September 7th, 2005, 9:41 PM
Strategy - From a Certified Winner v1.4
(last updated 9/10/05)

Okay, heres the lowdown, but a few notations first:

Looking for caps - Ask your friends at work or ask your parents to ask their friends at work to save you the caps. (This is the quickest way to get the caps if people are generous or don't give a darn about the contest)

Don't be afraid to raid trashcans at public places! This might be frowned upon, but boy you will sure have a good story to tell your friends!

Purchase single 20oz/1 Liter bottles of Dew/Pepsi/Sierra Mist. (or Diet if you prefer)

Rarity (as of the week of 9/4-9/10) of the caps will soon pass, expect contests to be harder to win at the last week of September 'till the end of the contest especially with the specially marked 12/24 packs of cans having multiple codes (Which are, as we speak, trickling out the places like the first caps did in late August).

Save your caps after you enter them, just in case something bad happens in the contest. (High unlikely)

If you win the contest, you will get a Party in a Box Kit within 2-3 weeks of your confirmation (It includes Five (5) Hats, Five (5) T-shirts, Two (2) 12-pack coupons for Mt. Dew products, and other offers), and also recieve the $399 retail version of the Xbox 360 (Premium) the Saturday before it becomes available in Retail Outlets. Approximate value of all of this is Five Hundred and Eighty Dollars ($580).

Confirmation can take up to 3-5 days, check your ACCOUNT HISTORY often. You may not get an E-mail that tells you to check it.

And now the lowdown:

I stress this enough (Or your a chance freak - go ahead) DO NOT PUT ONLY 1 CAP INTO A 10-Minute sweep. Not only are your chances low, but you just wasted a valueable cap! The odds are not in your favor with this!

Look over the sweeps for a few hours, jot down the average amount of caps. Also look at nightly sweeps as well. (12am-5am est)

MINIMUM of 2 caps per 10 minute sweeps grants you much better odds than you had before. (EG 1/1000 becomes 1/500)

The Shotgun Approach: putting more than 100 caps in a single sweep can heavily put it in your favor** (EG 1/10) but make sure that you don't waste all your precious caps in one swing and then LOSE, then you want to commit suicide! Also, contest with lower-than-average caps work with this.

**Overtaking low sweeps can give you better than 1/4 odds in your favor. (Don't count on this for long, the further into the contest, the less of a chance your going to find a low sweep)

Some Timing Strategies:

Best time to put caps in is in Late-Night contests, when the kiddies are in bed BUT not on the weekend Late-Night contests (friday or saturday night).

The Shotgun approach works best on the days and weekends, when there is lower-than average caps (unless you see a great -lower than average- sweeps it works that way) Plus the intimidation factor can approach in when someone sees that a fresh sweep getting 500 caps, people will be more reluctant to join
The earlier in the contest (this month before the second week of October) is the best time to enter.. The further along you wait, the higher chance you'll never see contest with low caps ever again.

As thing in life, there is no guarantees, so don't complain if you lose if you use one of my strategies.. This is a game of chance, but it can be in your favor.

If you win using then. Give credit where credit is due so others can read this and know it works for them.

The contest ends on the last day of October, 11:50pm's drawing. There will be up to 9,222 sweepstakes drawings.

Oh, and good luck! I hope you win :)

Chad
September 15th, 2005, 11:04 AM
November 22nd is the release date for the US. Can't wait.

Reech
September 15th, 2005, 3:46 PM
2nd December for here apparently.

Wiganer
September 15th, 2005, 3:52 PM
I've had mine on pre-order for 2 months now.

TapOut
October 2nd, 2005, 3:04 PM
Nice little article about the 360 controller over on ign. Good to see that the bulk problems of the last controller are fixed, and they've nothing but good things to say about it. I actually enjoyed the XBox controller, although I'm still glad they've toned down the size a bit. I actually like the XBox controller more than the dual shock. I mean, both are good, but the DS hurt my hands after extended play. The XBox was more comfortable for long periods of gaming. Looks to be the same way here.

Midgar
October 2nd, 2005, 3:11 PM
I don't really follow anything that involves the XBOX, so what's the starting price for this 360 system coming out?

Reech
October 3rd, 2005, 7:12 AM
£210 for the core machine and £280 for the 'proper' machine.

Can't remember the US prices though bro, sorry :\

Alf
October 3rd, 2005, 7:37 AM
As long as it's got a hard drive I don't care. I'll be able to get it 'fixed'.

Chad
October 3rd, 2005, 9:59 AM
I don't really follow anything that involves the XBOX, so what's the starting price for this 360 system coming out?

Core= $299
Premium= $399

Midgar
October 3rd, 2005, 11:58 AM
Not as bad as i expected, i was thinking around $500 or so.

MACE
October 11th, 2005, 3:39 PM
You guys announced any bundles yet, Reech?

Hear GAME are giving people back their deposits as there's going to be a shortage?

Reech
October 11th, 2005, 4:26 PM
Yeah, we can't guarantee machines anymore so we may have to refund some deposits.

Shortage? So true, we are gonna get fuck all machines for Xmas. :(

No bundes yet, won't get any til the November the 20th probably.

Alf
October 14th, 2005, 5:22 AM
I don't know what to do... I want to get Oblivion but don't know wether to A) get a 360 or b) get a swanky new laptop.

I kinda need laptop... and I can play footyman on that too...

But the 360 looks sexy.

The Great Dave
October 14th, 2005, 5:34 AM
Get the laptop. That way you can still play games like the ones you'd get on the 360, but word proccess too![/bait]

Seth
October 24th, 2005, 1:42 PM
Couple of questions:

What are the chances of me getting this if i order in the next few days, realistically?

and where have you all ordered yours from?

Reech
October 25th, 2005, 5:38 AM
You a Brit or Yank?

If you're a Brit, probably very little, if you're a Yank probably better.

I've not ordered one cos I'm waiting for the summer (more money + time)

The Great Dave
October 25th, 2005, 7:34 AM
Just order on Gameplay.com or something. You'll probably get one, and if you don't you can just cancel it the day it comes out, if you don't wanna wait.

TapOut
October 26th, 2005, 1:54 PM
I could probably get one without trying too hard. I think I'll hold off for the mere fact that, to this day, there has only been one launch game for a system I've enjoyed, that being nearly a decade ago with Mario 64. Other than that, for XBox, GameCube, PS One, PS2, and even the handhelds, there hasn't been a launch game I've enjoyed. Well, NFL Street for PSP was allright, but I'm sure that there will be a plethora of games for launch on XBox360, and they'll all be fps' or shitty sports games, or other shitfests like Dead or Alive and such. I'll wait til it gets some more meat and potatoes games.

Still, the system looks awesome, especially it's vast online mode. I really hope Sony and Revolution are ample with online modes in their own rights. Right now, I'm confident they will, but Revolution's rumors sound good. Hopefully, the Xbox will allow downloading of games and such as well, not just demos.

Reech
October 27th, 2005, 6:15 AM
Lumines and Everybody's Golf were launch games and they're immense :)

GaelX
October 27th, 2005, 8:59 PM
Still, the system looks awesome, especially it's vast online mode. I really hope Sony and Revolution are ample with online modes in their own rights. Right now, I'm confident they will, but Revolution's rumors sound good. Hopefully, the Xbox will allow downloading of games and such as well, not just demos.

Yeah, I'm holding off on buying a 360 until Sony makes an official announcement regarding the PS3's online mode. I read in a Playstation magazine that they are planning on ripping off Microsoft's idea about the X-box live, so they'll be implementing that into the PS3. I'm not quite sure I believe that, so I'll wait until an official announcement from Sony is made. Still the X-Box 360 looks pretty damn good.

The Great Dave
October 27th, 2005, 10:06 PM
What, exactly, does Microsoft offer that Nintendo and/or Sony won't/don't? Last I checked, it was a bunch of idiots talking while they play, and a nice central interface. The central interface is about the only thing I care about. Stuff like being able to pay to unlock content in games is not only unappealing, it's offputting.

So what am I ignorant to, when it comes to XBox Live?

GaelX
October 27th, 2005, 10:54 PM
Well the new live sytem will let you decide what kind of gamer you are. There are basically four gamer zones: the anything goes underground, the family zone, the pro area, and the casual gamer R&R zone. When you choose your gamer zone the system will pair you up with people of similar skill/beliefs. There's also the ability to give positive or negative feedback (think E-bay) to people that you play against. If you give negative feedback to a player then X-box live will not pair you up to play against him/her. There's a whole bunch of interesting tidbits Ill type later.

TapOut
October 27th, 2005, 11:23 PM
What, exactly, does Microsoft offer that Nintendo and/or Sony won't/don't? Last I checked, it was a bunch of idiots talking while they play, and a nice central interface. The central interface is about the only thing I care about. Stuff like being able to pay to unlock content in games is not only unappealing, it's offputting.

So what am I ignorant to, when it comes to XBox Live?

Basically, it's far more advanced than just 'playing online'. It's a bunch of stuff that's going to make the experience more enjoyable and in-depth. Think a message board..... where as Rajah is a pretty nice board, have you ever posted at one that is just boiled down shit? Same difference. Yeah, the basic function will be playing online, but XBox is souping it up.

You will even be able to go online on your PC or telephone and look at your game stats, chat with other members and schedule a time to play, track all your info and such.

I have no doubt PS3 and probably Evo will follow.

Basically, I know you're not real interested in the Xbox360, but maybe you should go to ign and read up on it or check out the new EGM mag. It's got a lot of good info on the system. If it has one game that I may enjoy (besides football or basketball: those will be awesome, but not enough to make me rush out and buy the system...), I will be buying it asap.

GaelX
October 27th, 2005, 11:37 PM
yeah....what he said

The Great Dave
October 28th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Basically, it's far more advanced than just 'playing online'. It's a bunch of stuff that's going to make the experience more enjoyable and in-depth. Think a message board..... where as Rajah is a pretty nice board, have you ever posted at one that is just boiled down shit? Same difference. Yeah, the basic function will be playing online, but XBox is souping it up.

You will even be able to go online on your PC or telephone and look at your game stats, chat with other members and schedule a time to play, track all your info and such.

I have no doubt PS3 and probably Evo will follow.

Basically, I know you're not real interested in the Xbox360, but maybe you should go to ign and read up on it or check out the new EGM mag. It's got a lot of good info on the system. If it has one game that I may enjoy (besides football or basketball: those will be awesome, but not enough to make me rush out and buy the system...), I will be buying it asap.

As a system, I find it exciting. But only as a Media Center extender. As a games console, it needs some exclusives from companies I care about before I consider it. Rare need to make Banjo Threeie.

Dellaspro
October 28th, 2005, 11:09 AM
I have finally saved up some money for this because I knew release was soon, but I look at the launch games and there is not one that I am even remotely interested in. Infact, with the exception of Halo I was never really interested in any XBox exclusive releases. The fact that it is basically a super-computer seems cool and all, but as a console I am debating whether I should just wait for the PS3. I could get both if I save up some more casholla, but I just can't see me playing XBox too often.... dunno :|

Seth
October 28th, 2005, 11:23 AM
I'm in the same boat. I'm definately getting the ps3 because the launch titles are amazing and all the good games are coming out for it. But i can't decide if theres much point in getting a 360. Probably won't be able to get one now anyway.

The Great Dave
October 28th, 2005, 11:30 AM
I see PS3 trumping XBox 360 in almost every respect. Apart from US sales, cos I believe Americans are BIG on sports games. Hell, I guess we Brits are too. Hence the shitpile that is our charts.

But in terms of support, graphics, and...you know, all that lovely stuff, why go against the PS3? It's certain to get better support. It's almost certain to have better graphics. It's got a better list of games at the minute than a console that's out next month. The only thing that will truly risk screwing up the PS3 is it's price. If it's more than $100 more than the XBox360, I really think it's gonna have a battle.

Cubed-Sphere
October 28th, 2005, 5:31 PM
I see PS3 trumping XBox 360 in almost every respect. Apart from US sales, cos I believe Americans are BIG on sports games. Hell, I guess we Brits are too. Hence the shitpile that is our charts.

But in terms of support, graphics, and...you know, all that lovely stuff, why go against the PS3? It's certain to get better support. It's almost certain to have better graphics. It's got a better list of games at the minute than a console that's out next month. The only thing that will truly risk screwing up the PS3 is it's price. If it's more than $100 more than the XBox360, I really think it's gonna have a battle.
I actually don't see anything mentioned for PS3 that isn't going to be on the XBOX360 and when it comes to exclusives, Microsoft already has games announced that will likely match against anything ineresting on the PS3 (ie Halo 3 to Metal Gear). Basically, looking at the games alone, no one can say who's going to win, because it's all about preferences.

The Great Dave
October 28th, 2005, 7:16 PM
Halo 3 isn't worth jack shit to me. But yeah, it is all about preferences. Which is why I think 360 is going to do really well in America.

Deathcow
October 28th, 2005, 7:35 PM
Played Xbox 360 at Walmart on display today...it looked alright I guess, but it still felt like the original Xbox.

TapOut
October 28th, 2005, 9:44 PM
Played Xbox 360 at Walmart on display today...it looked alright I guess, but it still felt like the original Xbox.

Untapped potential. Over on the PS2, Smackdown Just Bring It didn't look that much better than the previous two games. Same thing here. You're going to see some awesome looking games soon.

Really, I think all three systems are equally matched. I don't see this gen doing anything to put one company ahead of the other. PS3 is going to dominate simply because of it's name, and I'm sure it will be an awesome system. Nintendo and XBox 360 will be a distant yet successfull second, with all three systems offering their exclusives, special features and indidividual high-points. With XBox360, it may be it's online play. With Revolution, it will be with it's controller and such. With PS3, it may be the amount of exclusives and other features yet unknown. Who knows.

I think what we will see this time around though, are more games than ever appearing on all three systems.

Deathcow
October 28th, 2005, 10:23 PM
I didn't mean the graphics...I meant the system overall...it felt exactly the same as the first Xbox...

That's why Revolution is really the only "next gen" system coming out, PS3 and Xbox 360 are more or less just upgrades to PS2 and Xbox. (I'm pretty much a Sony fanboy too, and I come by it honestly) With Revolution comes the new controller and a whole new way of playing...so I guess Revolution is really only taking things to the next generation with some actual innovation...

The Dord
October 28th, 2005, 10:45 PM
I am playing my Nintendo DS with Nintendogs and Zelda : Four Swords (GBA) while waiting for my package.. But my beanie cap should be here any time now :)

They started to ship out the Party in the Boxes this week, so I'm keeping an eye out at cheapassgamer.com 's forums to see when someone gets the box first so I can expect mine :)

TapOut
October 28th, 2005, 11:17 PM
I didn't mean the graphics...I meant the system overall...it felt exactly the same as the first Xbox...

That's why Revolution is really the only "next gen" system coming out, PS3 and Xbox 360 are more or less just upgrades to PS2 and Xbox. (I'm pretty much a Sony fanboy too, and I come by it honestly) With Revolution comes the new controller and a whole new way of playing...so I guess Revolution is really only taking things to the next generation with some actual innovation...

It's going to take more than a new controller for me to consider it innovative, just as it's going to take more than fancy graphics and online play for me to consider the new XBox and PS3 innovative.

It's something new, certainly, but I'm holding back judgement. Right now, honestly, I can't wait for all three systems. I'm going to have to buy a bigger entertainment center by year's end.

Cubed-Sphere
October 29th, 2005, 12:58 AM
^ I'm looking forward to Microsoft's and Nintendo's efforts, but not the PS3.

The Dord
October 29th, 2005, 2:36 AM
^ I'm looking forward to Microsoft's and Nintendo's efforts, but not the PS3.

Agree, Sony is too secretive and too darn slow :) Even the Revolution will probably get a head start off of sony :rofl:

Stan Hibbert
October 29th, 2005, 7:13 AM
I don't really give a shit about online play. If the PS3 picks-up where the PS2's leaving off in terms of software then there's no doubt in my mind that I'll buy one. The Revolution is also a no-brainer considering I'm a pretty big Nintendo fan.

Which leaves the 360, which I'll probably buy eventually pending some info on any Mist Walker games. But I definitely won't be getting one straight away.

The Great Dave
October 29th, 2005, 12:00 PM
I'd be lying if I said the 360 didn't appeal in some way. Just not £270 of appealing.

The Phenom
October 29th, 2005, 11:57 PM
Played at Walmart today... the game was COD 2. To be perfectly honest, it wasn't much different than playing COD 1 on a good PC...

Cubed-Sphere
October 30th, 2005, 1:37 AM
Played at Walmart today... the game was COD 2. To be perfectly honest, it wasn't much different than playing COD 1 on a good PC...
Yea, but everyone's saying that... both COD2 and Perfect Dark Zero aren't the best games to showcase the graphics (though PDZ is looking better each video they send out, it's still behind the others in terms of graphics). Look at Condemned, King Kong, and Project Gotham Racing to really see some 360 power.

Dude, that last sentenced sounded like a 360 commercial. I think they got to me while I was sleeping.:scared:

Dan The Man
November 2nd, 2005, 1:18 AM
You know what's great about launching a console? You know that everyone who pre-ordered really really wants one, so you can treat them like shit and they won't not stick around.

In addition to slowing production of units about a month ago, so as to limit overall supply to easily sellout-able numbers (4.5-5.5 million worldwide), the launch day supply at retailers is severly limited.

Basically, if you pre-ordered, you're gonna have to get up pretty early if you actually want to take home a console on launch day. Specialty stores (ie. Gamestop, EB, etc) are expecting 15-20 units, despite most stores having between 50-100 pre-orders. The megastores (Walmart, Target, etc) are expecting anywhere from 10-50, with the actual number varying from store to store based on the sales from their videogame departments. Electronics megastores (Best Buy, etc) are working on a similar distribution method, but with a likely higher amount in the 20-60 range.

Dick. Not that I either pre-ordered or am planning on picking one up any time soon (if ever), but I can't imagine the backlash when three in every four people who pre-ordered find there's nothing for them. And by backlash, as I stated, I mean whining and yelling but still ultimately forking over cash.

And to think, back in the day, I was able to pick up my original Playstation the day before launch, due to having to go out of town the next day. Oh how the world has changed...

TapOut
November 2nd, 2005, 1:43 AM
It's a marketing ploy. Has to be. You can't tell me that, in this day in age and with technology they have, something as simple as 'making sure we have enough units on launch day' isn't a possibility.

Because it is.

And I admit, it's a shit marketing ploy. Let me tell you why: I'm hyped for this system. I was going to buy one on launch, but can't pre-order: I don't have money to sit around. When I fork it over, I want something right back. Well, then I heard how little units there would be. Well, couple it being hard to find with the fact that units that ship first always end up being shit half-way through the system's life-cycle, and then you have the issue of launch games and such, and I have to turn it down.

As much as I think this system will be great, I think I've changed my mind: I'm not picking one up until six months to a year down the road.

Dan The Man
November 2nd, 2005, 1:50 AM
Oh it certainly is. They essentially said as much when they announced that they weren't going to up production for either the launch shipment or the holiday shipment. Far and away the two biggest demands, and they're putting out the same supply as they will be next June. This way they get every local newscast doing stories about how it's sold out, and ridiculous eBay gouging, and everyone thinks "well if nobody can get one, I must need to have one."

Except, you know, sane people. But good luck finding one of those around, between the launch and the holidays.

Dellaspro
November 2nd, 2005, 8:37 PM
Haha. Screw that. With the lack of good launch games, and the usual defects of newly released systems, what is the point to pull your hair out going everywhere looking for one of these right away? To tell your 5th grade friends you have the XBox 360? :rolleyes:

Heyyo
November 3rd, 2005, 5:01 PM
I seen Madden 06 for the 360, then I seen Need for Speed Most wanted....and I said, hell yeah, this system will definatly be mine Nov. 22nd.

Alcohol
November 3rd, 2005, 5:51 PM
I saw Madden 06 for the 360, then I saw Need for Speed Most wanted....and I said, hell yeah, this system will definitely be mine Nov. 22nd.

There you go.

No thanks required. :)

The Rogerer
November 3rd, 2005, 6:29 PM
It's a marketing ploy. Has to be. You can't tell me that, in this day in age and with technology they have, something as simple as 'making sure we have enough units on launch day' isn't a possibility.

Because it is.Making enough units can actually be a lot harder than you'd imagine, you can't just pump out processors like there's no tomorrow for a reasonable price, and it's finding a place with the capacity to make as many as you want.

Plus, it's not just a matter of making enough, it's a matter of having them distributed correctely... consoles have to be sent to every backwater town out there.

I'd say you probably will find one. People won't be going crazy for this, if they have any sense they'll hold back - surely memories of rushing straight out to buy the last generation and sitting twiddling your thumbs for a year are still there for a lot of people.

TapOut
November 3rd, 2005, 8:18 PM
Making enough units can actually be a lot harder than you'd imagine,

Irrelevant.

We can put a man on the moon and send robots to mars. We can make enough XBox's to satisfy demands at launch. Period.

The Great Dave
November 4th, 2005, 6:03 AM
Microsoft take enough of a loss on the XBox as it is that it really shouldn't care if it costs a lot to make enough systems. They're doing it for hype.

Heyyo
November 4th, 2005, 1:11 PM
There you go.

No thanks required. :)
Well, I certainly do thank you Mr. spelling B person.I don't pay attention to my grammer when typing on a message board, I assume you actually recieved the point I was trying to make anyway.

Heyyo
November 4th, 2005, 1:14 PM
I'd say you probably will find one. People won't be going crazy for this, if they have any sense they'll hold back - surely memories of rushing straight out to buy the last generation and sitting twiddling your thumbs for a year are still there for a lot of people.
Well, if you get the one with the 20 gig hardrive, you will not be twiddling your thumbs, you will be able to play your old XBOX games.

The Great Dave
November 4th, 2005, 11:09 PM
So...buy the console to play the games you own!!

TapOut
November 5th, 2005, 1:31 AM
There's nothing wrong with backwards compatability. It's not like it's going to be the Xbox360's selling point.

KorruptJustice
November 5th, 2005, 1:44 PM
I won't be getting this right when it comes out, but hopefully my parents will get it for me for Christmas. If they don't, I'll buy it myself with Christmas money. There's a couple of games that I'm really looking forward to, probably the number one game being Condemned: Criminal Origins.

The Great Dave
November 5th, 2005, 1:49 PM
There's nothing wrong with backwards compatability. It's not like it's going to be the Xbox360's selling point.

I love backwards compatability. It's just Git made it sound like a reason to buy the console.

Dan The Man
November 7th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Between what happened at the unveiling of Windows 98 and this year's CES, should this (http://pictures.xbox-scene.com/xbox360/bsod/xbox360_bsod_01.jpg) really surprise anyone?

Reech
November 7th, 2005, 12:22 PM
:lol:

Heyyo
November 7th, 2005, 6:27 PM
I love backwards compatability. It's just Git made it sound like a reason to buy the console.
No Dave, I honestly don't care at all about backwards compatability, but SO MANY do...I honestly do not play 1 single ps1 game on my ps2....and I know hardly ANYONE does...the reason to get this machine is it kicks ass...damn I tried it out at Wal-Mart...FUUUUUUUUCK...it is unreal!!

TapOut
November 7th, 2005, 6:36 PM
Between what happened at the unveiling of Windows 98 and this year's CES, should this (http://pictures.xbox-scene.com/xbox360/bsod/xbox360_bsod_01.jpg) really surprise anyone?

Just another reason for me to purchase one a year or two into the system's cycle. Same with Sony. Nintendo didn't have a problem with the Gamecube, but then again, it was much more basic a system than the PS2 and X-Box. I'll probably end up waiting a year or two on all systems before purchasing. No way I'm taking a chance.

The Great Dave
November 7th, 2005, 7:01 PM
Gamecube is nowhere near more basic than PS2 or XBox. Especially XBox. XBox is the laziest design for a console ever. It's a PC in a shell. Gamecube manages to be almost as powerful in half the size.

Launch problems are over exagerated anyway. If shit happens, you get it replaced. No company is going to leave you stranded that early in a product's lifespan.

Reech
November 7th, 2005, 7:14 PM
No Dave, I honestly don't care at all about backwards compatability, but SO MANY do...I honestly do not play 1 single ps1 game on my ps2....and I know hardly ANYONE does...the reason to get this machine is it kicks ass...damn I tried it out at Wal-Mart...FUUUUUUUUCK...it is unreal!!

The backwards compatibility is always useful, especially, for instance in the PS2. I can't play FFVII without it.

The Great Dave
November 7th, 2005, 7:42 PM

But the point was that you often buy a console and wait a year for the games. To which you replayed that you won't be waiting if you play old Xbox games. Which seemed to me like you were saying it's a reason to buy the console now rather than when the good games (wherever they are) come out. But tis cool.

Heyyo
November 7th, 2005, 8:19 PM
Gamecube is nowhere near more basic than PS2 or XBox. Especially XBox. XBox is the laziest design for a console ever. It's a PC in a shell. Gamecube manages to be almost as powerful in half the size.

Launch problems are over exagerated anyway. If shit happens, you get it replaced. No company is going to leave you stranded that early in a product's lifespan.

The Xbox is good in alot of ways, like being able to save games without a memory card.But I do however agree with you that the Gamecube is damn near as good a system.RE4 anyone? That game alone is reason enough to own a Gamecube.

The Great Dave
November 7th, 2005, 8:21 PM
XBox is fine in terms of what it can do. It's just clearly a very lazy design in terms of how it was put together. They didn't make the same mistake with 360.

TapOut
November 7th, 2005, 8:25 PM

I think you misinterpreted what I meant. Agree with it or not, the PS2 and XBox did more than play games, and there ended up being lots of compatability issues. With GC's general low add-ons count compared to the other two, it had less issues. I didn't mean horse power when it comes to playing games. Obviously, that's why it was nearly on par with XBox and graphics were always better than the PS2.

The Great Dave
November 7th, 2005, 8:36 PM
What did PS2 do other than play games? It read DVDs, including those with videos on them, and played them. That's really not anything the Gamecube *couldn't* do, other than the fact Nintendo didn't want to pay the licensing fees. And the XBox...well, it had a hard drive I guess, but it didn't do anything other than play games and play DVDs. Unless I'm missing something.

The Dord
November 7th, 2005, 9:03 PM
Arrr, Shiver me timbers, I'm getting my PIAB tommorow and it should be exciting!

TapOut
November 7th, 2005, 9:15 PM
What did PS2 do other than play games? It read DVDs, including those with videos on them, and played them. That's really not anything the Gamecube *couldn't* do, other than the fact Nintendo didn't want to pay the licensing fees. And the XBox...well, it had a hard drive I guess, but it didn't do anything other than play games and play DVDs. Unless I'm missing something.

You'd be missing a lot actually. The PS2 and XBox had large online libraries. Yeah, Gamecube had one or two, but with such few games, compatability issues weren't an issue. PS2 had the hardrive with FFXI, and many people had to get new PS2's because their older models were either faulty or incompatible. Add on top of it the DVD playback, USB peripherals and such, and you found that with so many different hookups and features working with each other, some of the older models became somewhat outdated. Same with XBox.

The Great Dave
November 7th, 2005, 9:27 PM
Ahhh, I get what you're saying now. I thought you meant that the consoles at launch were more complicated internally, so they would have more problems, when you mean there were lots of peripherals and so forth that had compatability issues with earlier models. My mistake.

Chad
November 9th, 2005, 9:06 PM
We finally got the playable Xbox 360 at Best Buy. 3 games were playable and those were Kameo, King Kong, and Call of Duty 2. The rest was just video's of games and the features of Xbox 360. The tv it was on was a 26" Samsung LCD HDTV(played in 720p). I played it and all I can say is AMAZING!!!

I need an HDTV now. But the way it looked on that Samsung I am sold. I am going to buy either the 32" Samsung or go even bigger. I won't be able to get the HDTV until next year though. :(

Reech
November 10th, 2005, 6:59 AM
Heh.

Our Xbox Rep turned up with what looked like a console.

It was just a empty mock up :cry:

The Great Dave
November 10th, 2005, 12:01 PM
I played an XBox 360 today. Looked pretty, in a high-res way. Controller was pretty comfortable. Call of Duty 2 is generic shit.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/666/666344p1.html

Shenmue 2 isn't backwards compatable! Sale -10000000000000000000000!

Cubed-Sphere
November 18th, 2005, 11:45 PM
^ You're kidding me right? COD2 is generic shit? You and I usually see eye to eye, but we're completely opposite on anything even remotely related to Microsoft. But if I recall you're not a big first-person shooter fan. I personally am in love with COD2, King Kong, NFS: Most Wanted, Kameo, and Condemned. Too bad three out of the 5 are first-person games... I mean I'm not FP hater, but I'm not big fan either, and while they are all great games, I wish the 360 line-up was a little more than racing titles, first-person shooters, and sports games. Kameo and Gun are the only two launch titles that don't fall into one of the three aforementioned genres (and King-Kong is kind of a mix of platformer, fps, and brawler)... and GUN sucks.

That being said, I still think Kameo, King Kong, and Condemned are must-haves and I'll likely buy all three when I pick up my 360 (which according to Gamestop could be early '06 even though I reserved in Sept.!)

The Great Dave
November 19th, 2005, 12:16 PM
From what I played on it, it bored me shitless. This is based on 10 minutes or so of play. But seeing as I'm not a fan of first person shooters, hate war games and was pissed off that was the only demo I could play, I wouldn't take it to heart. It's not a vendetta against Microsoft as such. Promise :) I just hate those kind of games. Hence me not buying the Xbox I guess.

The only game I was interested in (Kameo) is getting pretty average reviews. Most reviewers are saying that the 360 really doesn't look that much better than the XBox if you're playing on a standard definition set. I'm really not that excited right now, and I don't see anything on the horizon to make me so.

The ironic thing is I still plan on getting one, purely as a Media Center Extender. Which is like...totally against everything I usually say about what games consoles should be, but I'm looking at it as a way of getting an Extender with a little extra for £200. Where-as an average extender can be around £200 on it's own. And I guess if good games finally do come out, I'll have the console to play them on. I'm only getting the cheep version of the system though. I have no need for high-def cables that 2% of people in the UK can use.

But if you want more proof this console is a rush job:

http://www.xbox-player.com/images/games/PGR2-208.jpg
Project Gotham 2
http://www.jeux-france.com/Webmasters/Images/40691320051117_005507_1_big.jpg
Project Gotham 3

Ricky
November 19th, 2005, 5:51 PM
I played an XBox 360 today. Looked pretty, in a high-res way. Controller was pretty comfortable. Call of Duty 2 is generic shit.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/666/666344p1.html

Shenmue 2 isn't backwards compatable! Sale -10000000000000000000000!

You're kidding? I played the COD 2 demo the other day and it was the only time I have ever started trash-talking in the middle of the store. I almost got thrown out, for fuck's sake.

The Great Dave
November 19th, 2005, 6:04 PM
Again, see my earlier comment. Based on what I played, I was left feeling distinctly unimpressed. This may be due to many reasons, one being I don't like PC games, another being I don't like FPS. I don't gain anything from disliking a game.

Ricky
November 19th, 2005, 6:06 PM
Oh, I never saw any comment about not liking FPS. Sorry.

Oh wait, there is no comment about you not liking FPS.

The Great Dave
November 19th, 2005, 6:27 PM
If you look one post above your first one to me:

But seeing as I'm not a fan of first person shooters, hate war games and was pissed off that was the only demo I could play, I wouldn't take it to heart.

See?

Cubed-Sphere
November 19th, 2005, 6:49 PM
The only game I was interested in (Kameo) is getting pretty average reviews. Most reviewers are saying that the 360 really doesn't look that much better than the XBox if you're playing on a standard definition set. I'm really not that excited right now, and I don't see anything on the horizon to make me so.
But if you want more proof this console is a rush job:

http://www.xbox-player.com/images/games/PGR2-208.jpg
Project Gotham 2
http://www.jeux-france.com/Webmasters/Images/40691320051117_005507_1_big.jpg
Project Gotham 3

I've enjoyed what I've played of Kameo, with both IGN and Gamespot agreeing with my own personal perspective. It is short, but it is a phenomal game, gameplay-wise, and the graphics, while not mind-blowing, are still very good. Also, Microsoft bit its own ass with rushing the release of the system, but just because launch games aren't graphically astounding, doesn't mean the 360 is forever doomed with bad graphics. Gears of War is a great example what games will really look like on the 360, and even a few launch titles (like Condemned, Elder Scrolls, and King Kong) are graphically amazing and make up for the weaker games in launch to still showcase some of the power of the 360.

Ricky
November 19th, 2005, 7:15 PM
See?

I'm an idiot. I hope no one saw the unedited post.

The Great Dave
November 19th, 2005, 7:46 PM
I've enjoyed what I've played of Kameo, with both IGN and Gamespot agreeing with my own personal perspective. It is short, but it is a phenomal game, gameplay-wise, and the graphics, while not mind-blowing, are still very good. Also, Microsoft bit its own ass with rushing the release of the system, but just because launch games aren't graphically astounding, doesn't mean the 360 is forever doomed with bad graphics. Gears of War is a great example what games will really look like on the 360, and even a few launch titles (like Condemned, Elder Scrolls, and King Kong) are graphically amazing and make up for the weaker games in launch to still showcase some of the power of the 360.

They won't be amazing on a standard definition TV. What Microsoft is trying to sell me are games that look marginally better than existing XBox games. Pretty much every hands-on I've read has said that, unless you're playing XBox 360 in a high definition mode, the graphical difference is minimal. This is my main problem with the console right now, it's doing nothing to appeal to me, mainly just rich guys in America with HDTVs, who like sports games and would only buy Perfect Dark Zero after they sexed up the lead character.