PDA

View Full Version : Hip Hop Discussion/Album Review Thread.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

Ronald McDonald
January 2nd, 2003, 12:23 AM
The reason I'm making this thread is that in the original Album Review thread, It is pretty hard to find a Rap Review without going through a couple of pages, or simply getting blindsided by all the Rock/Pop Reviews. So mods close this if you wish. But it's worth a try. Plus it would be easier for new Rap fans to see whats hot and what's not without havingto make a new thread asking.

Anyways Review Rap Albums in this thread. It would be great if there was more than one Review to a CD Thus showing different opinions.

Heres Mine:Snoop Dogg: Paid Tha Cost To Be The Bo$$

Well Let me start off by saying that it is said that Snoop Dogg went and spent some good money on some of the Best Producers Out there such as The Neptunes, Dre, etc.

With that said lets go off into the first track, Don Doggy this is just basicilly a 40 something second intro introducing him self as the "Don Doggy". The second track isn't nothing special either entitled "Tha Boss Would Like To See You" Which is basicilly tooo minutes of Snoop calling out names and saying "The boss would like to see you" Pointless and a waste of space. The Third Track entitled "Stoplight" Samples the old school funk beat of "Flashlight" with a slight hip hop twist sounds to 70ish.Don't Like. Track 4 is a Neptunes Produced track entitled from "Tha Chuuuch to Tha Palace" Which is Snoop's Current Single. Not Snoop Quality at all. Track 5 "I Believe in You" is actually a good slow type song featuring Latoiya Williams. I like it much more than the previous Tracks Good Beat. Track 6 "Lollipop" Old Shaft like beat featuring Jay Z and Nate Dogg. Pretty tight except the beat to the most part. Track 7 "Ballin" Featuring the Dramatics (If you don't know. The Dramatics did the "Doggy Dogg World" on the Doggystyle CD.) Pretty tight song with a slow 70's type feel mixed with rap if your in to that kind of shit which I am. Track 8,9,10,11,12 are all tight. I wasn't feeling 12 that much. 13,14,15, 17. Wasn't feeling 16,18,and 20. 19 is an Outro. and 20 is a disss to ThaRow/Suge Knight.

With 20 tracks and most being tight if you're into that 70's funk Superfly type shit, which I am. I was feeling most of this CD. Some of it was useless filler. But the tracks make up for it. It has some pretty good Production. As you know Snoops lyrics aren't the greatest but he delivers his normal shit on this one. This CD is a pretty new concept Old to Snoop on some tracks. But a new Concept for a whole CD.

For any Snoop Dogg fans go buy this shit now. Any casual fans may not be feelin it much but Long Time Snoop fans will def feel it. Some new fans may like it too it all depends on taste.

Total Score 7.5/10 Pretty Good.

Simon
January 2nd, 2003, 8:24 AM
Beautiful, I Believe In You and Batman & Robin are the stand-out tracks, but I actually liked every song on the album (not including the skits, which I still hate in almost every case...why waste 3/4 minutes on 4 skits per album when you could get another song on?), with the exception of The Church To The Palace, because Snoop is totally off form with his lyrics, and, while I love what the Neptunes do, the beat is very samey to some of their older stuff. They can do better than that...like Beautiful for example, that's got a nice beat.

I'd give the album 7/10.

Simon
January 2nd, 2003, 8:27 AM
Originally posted by Idioteque

The Beastie Boys
Licence to Ill

i still maintain that this is one of the greatest debut albums of ALL time. License to Ill is a hip-hop milestone. It invented the genre of rap-rock, fuck Run DMC. And it's my default cd. Whenever I can't decide what to listen to, this goes in.

[list=1]
Rhymin and Stealin

Because mutiny on the bounty's what we're all about.... the bass drum beat is deep... and the guitar that comes in with the lyrics... kid rock is still pissing himself wishing he could make something that good everytime he hears it...

The New Style

what up mike d? aw yeauh, that's me... back before anyone knew that the beastie boys were musical gods and technical innovators, they thought of them as rude hooligan east coast boys... here, they are both...

sidenote - shitty boy band LFO stole a line from THIS song for that "abercrombie and fitch" song

She's Crafty

once again, with the incredibly sampled guitar riffs... fred durst should be locked in a room and made to listen to this song over and over again... then shot.

but as for the rest of the song... anyone who's ever had to deal with a chick he stuck around just b/c the pussy was good should love this song...

Posse in Effect

another raunchy gem. the beastie boys like to get rowdy, drink beer, sleep with women, and spin records. they are the original hip-hop superheros.

Slow Ride

trumpets... nuff said. they were sampling shit other people would never dream of touching. They were truly ahead of their time in rap music, and they were ahead of their time rapping about white castle.

Girls

everyone knows this xylophone riff... it's one of the oddest catchy songs i've ever heard... up there with "blister in the sun" by the violent femmes...

girls... to do the dishes
girls... to clean up my room..
girls... to do the laundry...
girls... and in the bathroom...

Fight for Your Right

who doesn't know this song?

i rest rest my case.

the video was incredible too.

No Sleep till Brooklyn

NO! *guitar riff*

SLEEP! *guitar riff*

TILL BROOKLYN! *guitar riff*

Paul Revere

here's a little story i got to tell about 3 bad brothers ya know so well....

another classic. the beat is incredible. innovative hip hop

Hold it Now, Hit it

Listening to samples like this, you wonder how anyone couldn't have forseen their eventual mastering of the art...

Brass Monkey
...that funky monkey

incredible samples... incredible beat... increbidle song.

Slow and Low

More of the same great things. samples, instrumentation, beat.

note - i'm listening to the album as i do this... it's taking for f'ing ever...

Time to get Ill

they sample the theme song from mr. ed, for god's sake.

[/list=1]

Simon
January 2nd, 2003, 8:29 AM
Originally posted by spanish announce table
Noreaga - God's Favorite (brief review)

1. hit me slime - pointless

2. god's favorite - see track 1

3. Nothin - i like the beat, weak lyrics, but a definite summer jam

4. grimey - :yes:

5. mr CEO - pretty good and the lyrics are alright

6. nahmeanuheard - what the fuck? this is garbage. why was this even on the album?

7. full mode - another nice neptunes beat. better than "nothing"

8. live my life - :barf: ja rule. average beat and garbage lyrics

9. love your mom - awww, a dedication to his mom. cheesy cyndi lauper sample

10. head bussa - the beat is alright, but the song is meh

11. wanna be like him - alright. nothing to complain about

12. black clouds - average

13. banned from another club - nice beat from SPK, and the songs alright

14. now i pray - standout so far. good beat

15. consider this - i like this song, its catchy

16. nahmeanuheard remix - MUCH better than the original

17. holla back slime - see tracks 1 +2

18 - life of a gangsta - best track...and mores not even on it

Simon
January 2nd, 2003, 8:30 AM
Originally posted by Brennino
The best double album ever produced in rap. All Eyez On Me by the late, great Tupac Shakur.

Book One:

1. AMBITIONZ AZ A RIDAH.
Haunting piano starts this song with a great chorus. Sets the tone of the album with lyrics-"I won't deny it, I'm a straight Ridah, you don't wanna fuck with me"...this album is all about Tupac tarnishing the thug side to him, and this is a great opening track to showcase this album.

2. ALL BOUT U.
This is a great party track. The type of beat that you can just sit and chill too, with Nate Dogg holding down the chorus. Has been sampled and revamped under the "new" Deathrow. Bouncing beat and a great song to have playing when cruising in a car.

3. SKANDALOUZ.
Another great song to sit and chill too. Again, Nate Dogg represents with the chorus in this song. Although rap music is often criticised for not being able to change subjects i.e. rapping about bitches and riches, but Tupac finds a balance in this album.

4. GOT MY MIND MADE UP.
Special apperance made by Method Man and Redman on this track. After two fairly upbeat tracks with an easy listening beat, this song comes a lot more raw. Method has his critics, but I am a fan of his style and he blends in well with this song.

5. HOW DO U WANT IT.
A Tupac classic. Unbelieveable party song, and the video ain't half bad either. K-CI and Jo-Jo hold down the chorus for this song, where Tupac raps about his ladies and what not, but in the last verse taking shots at the media, Delorace Tucker, Bill Clinton and Bob Dole. A great song, in which Tupac is in full flow. Brilliance.

6. 2 OF AMERIKAZ MOST WANTED.
How Do U Want It is a hard enough track to follow, but this track surpasses it, in my opinion. This track has fellow Deathrow rapper Snoop Doggie Dogg featured on the track, and what a track it is. This track, the chorus, the beat, the lyrics...everything about it sums up what Deathrow was all about, as far as I am concerned.
"They wonder how I live with 5 shots,
Niggas is hard to kill, on my block."

7. NO MORE PAIN.
Well it gets repeditive saying this, but there is not one weak track on this album. No More Pain slows the album down once again, in which Tupac's lyrics really keep you in amongst this track.

8. HEARTZ OF MEN.
Although this is a good song, I personally thought it didn't really belong on Tupac's Greatest Hits Album. I would have rather have seen several other tracks placed on the Greatest Hits album before this e.g. Krazy or Me And My Girlfriend. But in saying this, Heartz Of Men is still a good, solid track that lifts the tempo of the album back up. Again, an ideal song to play in the car.

9. LIFE GOES ON.
Perfection. If there was one song I had to pick from this album, this is the one. Tupac is one of the only rappers I know, who could rap on so many levels and this song personifies why he was the greatest rapper ever to grace the game, in my opinion. This song is a dedication to one of Tupac's homeboys who fell victim to a gang killing (Cato). The lyrics in this song are some of my favourite produced in rap.

10. ONLY GOD CAN JUDGE ME.
From track numer 9 through to 11, the songs are all insights into the mind of Tupac. This song is more about the media, by the time this album had dropped, Tupac had already served time, been shot 5 times and signed a deal with the most notorious label around...anyone who was anyone was judging him, and this track addresses these people.

11. TRADIN WAR STORIES.
Again, another personal favourite of mine. The Outlawz make an apperance on this song, as Tupac raps about his tales of Thug Life and what he has learned from the teachings of Makaveli.

12. CALIFORNIA LOVE (RMX).
Basically, just a track filler, will talk about the actual song when it comes up later on in the album. This track is just basically an extended version of the original.

13. I AIN'T MAD AT CHA.
This is another great song...well worthy of it's spot on the Greatest Hits Album. Danny Boy does the chorus for this one and the video for this track has been used by alive theorists to back up their "findings". The piano at the start gives a great introduction and again Tupac flows like only he can.

14. WHATZ YA PHONE #.
A short enough track, ends Book 1 on another party type song. A phone conversation at the end of it, means there is only two verses in this track, but even still, a good enough song to end the album on. "Does a bear shit in the woods, and wipe it's ass with a fluffy white rabbit?"

BOOK 2.

1. CAN'T C ME.
This is the best possible start ever for the second disk. The beat is a slowed down version of Snoop Doggie Dogg's "What's My Name?" The team of Pac's lyrics and Dre's production is showcased in this song, and what a terrific blend it is, it's only a shame that the pair didn't see eye to eye to produce more songs like Can't C Me. Like Tupac says, he can make a "mutha fucka shake, rattle and roll." A great opening track that any rap fan could listen to on countless occassions.

2. SHORTY WANNA BE A THUG.
Slow enough beat to come into after the first track on this CD. This song is about a middle class boy from the hood, getting caught up with some of the older G's and striving to make his mark as a thug. I enjoy listening to this song, but like I said, there ain't a bad song on this album.

3. HOLLA AT ME.
Another great song, with another great beat. Never really thought about it, but I think it's about Biggie and the "set-up" outside the New York recording studio in 1995. Again, this song highlights the thug element side to the Deathrow label that would eventually make Dr Dre jump ship. The chorus sums it all up really..."you better beware where you lay, we better not find where you stay."

4. WONDER WHY THEY CALL U _ _ _ _ _.
I laugh my ass off everytime that I hear this song, just because it would be the ultimate stroking to whomever it was written about. It was rumoured that Faith Evans did the chorus in this song, but it doesn't sound like it really. A good track highlighting the tale of a woman trying to get out of the ghetto by latching on to a rich man.

5. WHEN WE RIDE.
A song, where the Outlawz feature once again. This is a war cry song, where Pac and the Outlawz rap about riding on their enemies. Another very good song, with a gritty beat.

6. THUG PASSION.
This is yet another great party song, you play this at a house party and you will get things rocking off. The Outlawz once again back Tupac up and once again they do a great job of doing so. This album introduces the Outlawz as Tupac's new running crew, and they show that they can hang with Tupac. Along with Tradin War Stories, this is one of my personal favourite Tupac/Outlaw collaborations.

7. PICTURE ME ROLLIN'.
Another track worthy of it's spot on the Greatest Hits Album. From my point of view, this song helps the memory of Pac live on. It is one of the ultimate chill out tracks. This is another song that I could listen to all day long, and still not get tired off it. The last line sums the whole song up for me..."anytime y'all wanna see me again, rewind this track right here, close your eyes, and picture me rollin". A great line for all Pac fans.

8. CHECK OUT TIME.
"We gotta go, we gotta go, we gotta go"...to the record store and buy this album if you don't already have it. Really upbeat track, where Pac rides with the Outlaws once again. This song is about Pac jet setting around America and whatnot. A great summer track to have playing on the basketball court, the front porch, wherever.

9. RATHA BE YA _ _ _ _ _.
This is a double team, Tupac with Warren G. Granted, no one works better than Warren G and Nate Dogg, but this team comes pretty close in this song. I am a great fan of Warren G, and Tupac...obviously. So I am always gonna like this song. Another song for the women here. Both Deathrowers flow well in this song, to a head bobbin beat.

10. ALL EYEZ ON ME.
The single that the album is named after. Big Syke lays down a verse in the song. Probally the most under-rated song on the album, but that's an easy thing to happen with songs such as Life Goes On, All Bout U and Cali Love on the same album. This song sums up what is going on in Pac's mind...the whole paranoia and the fact that all eyes where indeed on him, and to this day all eyes are still on Tupac. This is why I love listening to this song, no matter what happens, so many will always look towards Pac to see what he will do next...even years after his death.

11. RUN THA STREETZ.
Probably the song that I would listen to the least on the album, but that doesn't mean that the song is a bad one...far from it. Another upbeat track that is easy to chill too. But for some reason, the woman who does the chorus does my brain in...but still a good track.

12. AIN'T HARD 2 FIND.
In my view, kinda similar to the previous song, in that I never seem to listen to it as much as I would listen to the others. Outlawz feature once again. But this is still a great track. The beat gets me in the mood for a night out...this song is about Tupac calling out his enemies. If you want a piece of him, he ain't hard to find. This is why this album is so great, he has songs for the ladies, songs for the homies, songs for his enemies and songs for the mainstream music community.

13. HEAVEN AIN'T HARD 2 FIND.
Fantastic. So many songs to chill to, and this is up there near the top, probably only getting beaten by Picture Me Rollin'. Danny Boy deals with the chorus again and he does his normal good job. Tupac flows amazing in this song and once again shows that he has more than the average rapper, and that he is capable of rapping on different levels and get away with it.

14. CALIFORNIA LOVE (Short Radio Edit).
To the mainstream music community, this is probably the most recognisable song off the album, maybe why some metal/punk/pop/indie etc etc even knew that Tupac existed. From my own point of view, I prefer To Live And Die In LA, but that's probably because I have heard so much of Cali Love. But there is no doubt about it, if you are going to end an album, do it in style and Cali Love ozzes perfection from every beat. Dre and Tupac team up for perhaps one of the greatest songs of all time, on it's release. I loved this song when I first heard it, everything about it, the beat, the lyrics, everything...all made me wanna go book my flights to California, kinda like how I get now when I hear To Live And Die In LA...Cali Love is still a song I enjoy listening to if I hear it from time to time, but like I said...the radio tried to kill it...but it can't be done.

There we go, any fan that likes their rap music has to love this album and there can be no flaws produced when arguing against this album (rap fans only). This album is probably in direct competition with Biggie's Life After Death, which is seen as the Eastside equivilent to All Eyez On Me. Different strokes different folks, there will be those who prefer Biggie's album...which is another amazing album, but I'd take All Eyez On Me anyday. Upon it's release it was seven times platnium and only took Pac 15 days to write, produce and make. This album is everything that Tupac is all about and only shows why the silence in rap music he left behind can never, and will never be filled.

People, that is all.

Simon
January 2nd, 2003, 8:32 AM
Originally posted by hbk52685
N.E.R.D.-In Search Of...

In Search Of... is the debut album from N.E.R.D.(No One Ever Really Dies), a group started by the famous hip hop producers, the Neptunes(Chad Hugo, Pharrell Williams, and Shay). In Search Of... is a great blend of rap, rock, r&b and funk, which makes for an interesting listen. The album was originally recorded in 2001 and released in Europe, but after coming to the realization that the album was simply not up to par; N.E.R.D. rerecorded the album and released it worldwide. Obviously, with the Neptunes involved, all of the songs on the album are sure to have amazing beats, but let's see if In Search Of... has any other redeeming qualities:
1. Lapdance featuring Lee Harvey and Vita: The 1st single off the album, is quite the catchy song. It has a great beat and displays a great meshing of rap and rock. The song uses the analogy of strippers and lapdances to point out the bullshit sold to the public by politicians. For the most part the song as a whole is great, until we get to the appearance made by Lee Harvey. Harvey is a great rapper and his flow definitely suits the song, however, his lyrics simply clash with the overall tone of the song. Also a problem within Lapdance is the lack of proper transitioning, the song just seems to jump from one area to another without seemlessly piecing it all together. Aside from those few flaws, Lapdance is a very memorable track and a great cd opener. 7/10

2. Things are Getting Better: Yet another song with an excellent instrumental, but the song is plagued by lack-luster lyrics. The song is a very cliched depiction of how life is once you've made the big time. Very uninspired and cheesey lyrics. 4/10

3. Brain: Well, this is a song that shows N.E.R.D at its best. A very clever and shrewd song where Pharrell Williams along with help from Shay are contemplating whether they love a girl or are they just after her "brain." This song is one of the album's best tracks, yet it loses some points towards the end of the song; although a very sexual song, it's vague in its meaning which is good, that is until the end where they gave the plot completely away. Of course it's relatively easy to figure out, but as mother always says "a little mystery never hurt anyone." 9/10

4. Provider: One of the albums more heart felt songs deals with the trials and tribulations of a man trying to earn a living to support his family, and he does it the best way he can: by dealing drugs. A profound song that mixes rap with a little 70's soul, but once again, a lack of maturity as far as writing goes henders the song from reaching its full potential. 8/10

5. Truth or Dare featuring Kelis and Pusha T: Another high for the album, possibly one of if not the best tracks chronicles the sexual escapades of a group of uninhibited people. It has a rock/r&b beat and N.E.R.D. manages to fair a lot better in the writing department, but it's still unclear whether the song is glorifying the lifestyle, condemning it or simply giving an unbiased commentary.The song is definitely made a lot better due to the sultry voice of Kelis. 9/10

6. Tape You: A rap/ funk song about a guy trying to live out his fantasy by video taping sex with a young girl. Some of the lyrics are plain corny and the song's purpose seems somewhat unclear: I'm not sure whether it was comedy, a song of a very serious nature, or a little of both. Here again the lyrics make it hard to fully comprehend the song. 6/10

7. Run to the Sun: A very somber song, where Williams confesses his love for a woman. A very unique track and is definitely a throwback to 70's soul and r&b. Both the instrumental and the lyrics are great, but a bit repetitive at times. Otherwise, N.E.R.D. are in fine form. 9/10

8. Baby Doll: Yet another 70's throwback, but not done nearly as well. The lyrics are corny and very cliched. It would have been a lot better if N.E.R.D. just settled with Run to the Sun and left out this horrible track, which greatly takes away from the album. 3/10

9. Am I High featuring Malice: A vague song that's unsure of where it wants to go. The highlight is the song's beat and Malice's rapping portion of the song. Once again, shotty lyrics keep N.E.R.D. from creating an excellent song. 6/10

10. Rock Star: Rock Star is another highlight on In Search Of... The group shows us time and time again how effortlessly they can mix rap and rock to make a materpiece of a beat. The song is directed to the posers of the music world who are just faking their way through this world. Pharrell issues a warning to them that their time is almost over now. A great song with good lyrics, but it gets repetitive towards the end. It seems as if N.E.R.D. rushed the writing process on this song and were unable to come up with many lines, so the listener is forced to hear the chorus a little too much, no matter how good the chorus may be. 8/10

11. Bobby James: A moving song on the topic of a mistreated teen who runs away from home and turns to drugs as a means for comfort. A Great and memorable song beat wise and lyrically. But with N.E.R.D. for most of their songs, the lyrics could always be better. Nonetheless, a standout track that makes for a very easy listen. 9/10

12. Stay Together: The final track of the album happens to be a very good one. The song mixes comedy with seriousness covering the topic of a guy who still wants his ex and begins to have stalker-like qualities. A very good song and is quite clever, but I think this track would've been better suited to be track 11 and have Bobby James close out the album, oh well, it's still a great song regardless. 8/10

Overall In Search Of... gets a 7/10. This was a refreshingly different kind of hip hop album that was good, but could've been great. It failed to reach greatness due to the lack of writing prowess and the failure to create continuity between all of the songs. Some look at the album title In Search Of... and wonder what were N.E.R.D. in search of? Was it a little honesty(a "lapdance" without the bullshit), some "brain", provisions, a sex tape, a way to rid the world of all the "posers", that special girl, or just happiness, whatever that is? Well, whatever N.E.R.D. were searching for, although, they came close, didn't quite find it. But given their talent, I'll bet by their next album, they just might find what they were searching for and maybe a whole lot more.

Simon
January 2nd, 2003, 8:35 AM
Originally posted by HB2K3
Well...this is only the fourth hip-hop album I've seen reviewed on here (including Brennan's quality review of 'All Eyez On Me', one of the best albums ever IMO), which is weird, seeing as almost half the threads in this forum are hip-hop. What's going on? Anyway...

Big Pun's 'Yeeeah Baby!'

The Creation
Well, first things first, this is an skit. In general, I'm not a fan of skits, as there are usually 3 or 4 in an album when you could fit an extra song in, and they usually serve no purpose (with a few notable exceptions, particularly 'Pakinamak' on Pun's first album, 'Capital Punishment'...well it doesn't serve any real purpose, but it's funny as hell.) Anyway, this is pretty weak, a Frankenstein scenario where 'The Punisher' is a creation made from Rakim, Kool G Rap, Eddie Murphy and Michael Jackson (cos he has money...fuckin' DICKHEAD!). Standard skit, but totally pointless.
** (rating it as a skit)

Watch Those
Ah, now we're talking...really upbeat song with a kinda rock feel to it, great guitar riff in the background. Lyrics are standard for Pun, funny but dangerous at the same time...his flow is above averageon this, though he can do better. Overall a decent opener, with a good beat and decent lyrics.
***1/2

Off Wit His Head
I don't rate this song at all...Pun delivers his lyrics with his usual power, but the chorus is irritating as hell and the beat isn't particularly appealing. A dull song, though the lyrics are pretty funny. This is basically the same as Leatherface later on in the album, but that's done far better. Cameo from Prospect is shit, but then I'd expect nothing less, he's garbage.

It's So Hard
One of the stand-out songs from his album, and the first real mainstream song I heard from Pun...absolutely shit-hot. The beat is one of my favourite of all time, Donell Jones is perfect for the chorus, and there's something about Pun's delivery that makes this song seem...special. I guess part of it is the fact that this song is, in part, to do with Pun's battle against health problems ('I just lost 100 pounds, I'm trying to live, I'm going nowhere...I'm staying a live baby!), it's somewhat poignant as he died before the album was even released. Also the video was beautiful, and showed how respected Pun was in the world of hip-hop, as just about every corner of hip-hop represents in the video - from LL Cool J, to Puffy, to Missy, to Nas, to Busta Rhymes, to Jennifer Lopez...brilliant. Sentimentality plays a part in how great this song is, but make no mistakes that, were Pun still alive today, this would still stand out as a quality song. One of my favourite hip-hop songs ever...just quality. ****3/4

We Don't Care
The threatening beat and chorus could have made this song excellent, but Pun isn't on it nearly enough. I'm a big fan of Cuban Link (against the judgement of others :D) but he doesn't do this song justice...Pun absolutely rips it up with a fuckin brilliant verse that saves this from being a real disappointment, but it could still have been better

**1/2

New York Giants
First off, you can tell from the moment the beat kicks in that this is heavily-influenced by the featured artists, M.O.P...they are on form in this track, but Pun lets himself down by attempting their 'shouty' style in his verse...he loses his flow, and doesn't do himself justice. His usual flow would have gone great with the beat, but this is still a very good song, again very upbeat

My Dick
In a word, humourous. Not a great song by any means, very cheesy and Pun's lyrics are shite, but Tony Sunshine has a great voice (shush PXL :D) and somehow despite being cheesy it's still ok to listen to. One of the slower songs on the album, and the chorus is just too funny, especially when listening with girls around.

Leatherface
Another stand-out song on the album. Has the rocky, dark feeling of Watch Those, but better. Has the lyrical content of Off Wit His Head, but way better. Excellent song, and Pun flow is excellent on this. Strange to see it coming after the light, tongue-in-cheek song previous, but it works well. Brilliance.
***1/2

Air Pun
Worst skit ever. Just boring and annoying, and couldn't be a worse intro to a fantastic song following it.

100%

The only other single to be released from the album, and once again it's great. The beat is brilliant, and Tony Sunshine on the chorus is at his very best. Pun is on top form both lyrically and flow-wise, making this one of the best songs on the album. Classy song.

Wrong Ones
Very average song for the most part, and Sunkiss is crap (who sorted out the collabos on this album? They should be shot.), but it's saved by Pun's ABSOLUTE TOP FUCKING DRAW flow once he comes in after the chorus. I'm talking close to 'Dead in the middle of little Italy...' type flow...the lyrics are so good, and Pun shows off his outrageous talent, it's just a shame that the rest of the song is so weak. For the second time on the album, he turns a weak song into a good one...makes you wonder what heights he could have reached were he alive today.

Laughing At You
This song is shite. Slow, boring, uninspired, lyrically lacking and the chorus is so crap it's unbelievable, even Tony Sunshine can't save it. They could have taken the laughing and 10 seconds of the chorus and made this into a skit, and put a real song in it's place. Awful
*1/2

Nigga Shit
The beat is pretty good, and Pun is spot-on with the lyrics again (though there's no real flow), but it's too short, and could have done with a chorus, as it gets boring.

Ms. Martin
First good collaboration on the album, as Remy Martin hits well with good (but sick...destroying a foetus??!) lyrics and flow. Pun only features on the chorus, which is kinda lame, but Remy pulls it off on her own, very good song with an addictive beat.
***1/2

My Turn
More chilled out than the rest of the album, this wouldn't have been out of place on Capital Punishment. Pun is excellent once again, and the beat is good again, really chilled.
***1/2

You Was Wrong
Great ending to the album, the beat is absolute quality, the best after the singles...Drag On and Remy Martin are great, Fat Joe even raises his game to be called passable, and Pun finishes where he left, with masterful flow and insightful, funny and intelligent lyrics. Greatness.

Overall, this album is something of an up-and-down...it shows signs of Pun's incredible talent, and has some of the best beats I've ever heard (It's So Hard, 100%, Leatherface), but there are just way too many filler tracks. I'd give it the thumbs up purely because when it's good, it's superb, the stand-out tracks are among my absolute favourite hip-hop tuens of all time...it's just a shame that there's so much average to poor stuff on it.

6/10

Having listened to this a little more, I'd give it 7/10.

Simon
January 2nd, 2003, 8:38 AM
Originally posted by Frofiles
[B]It's monday morning and I'm bored as hell so here are some reviews for all you rap fans.

[b]GZA: Legend of the Liquid Sword
GZA has always been my favorite Wu-Tang member. His skills on the mic rival Rakim. His first CD, Liquid Swords, is one of my favorite albums of all time. Legend of the Liquid Sword doesn't dissapoint. The beats are definetly dope. Although only one track in produced my RZA, all of them have a disticnt Wu-Tang sound. GZA's lyrics are excellent, as usual. On Animal Planet, GZA compares life on the streets to animals in a jungle. And he pulls it off with great style. On Fame, GZA uses names of celebrities to tell a story. Download this song right now if you haven't heard it. The album has literally no filler tracks. It is my pick for rap album of the year and a must-own for any Wu-Tang or GZA fan.
Score: 9.5/10

Simon
January 2nd, 2003, 8:39 AM
Canibus: Mic Club - The Curriculum
In my opinion, Canibus is easily one of the 5 best rappers to surface since Biggie and Pac's deaths. Yet, he remains virtually unknown among casual hip-hop fans. The only things that have helped him gain some recognition were his battles with LL Cool J and more recently, Eminem. The Curriculum is a new beginning for Canibus. He has settled down and started his own record label, Mic Club Music, and put together a great CD. Canibus, as usual, attacks the mic with intensity and brute force. On Bis vs. Rip, Canibus literally battles himself, splitting his personality in two. Reminds me of Gollum in LOTR. The beats are definetly solid throughout the CD and there aren't any bad tracks. Whether you're a Canibus fan or just want to check him out for the first time, this album is a good buy.
Score: 9/10

Simon
January 2nd, 2003, 8:42 AM
Jay-Z: The Blueprint 2 - The Gift & The Curse
Jay-Z tried to follow the footsteps of Pac and Biggie by putting out a 2-disc album. Unfortunately he didn't put in twice the effort. If this album was cut down to fit one CD, it would be another classic, like Jigga's first Blueprint. But there are several filler tracks which take away from the final product. Now that I've said that, let me say that this album is bumpin'. Both discs stayed in my 5-disc stereo for nearly a month. The production on BP2 is very good but sometimes a little too club-friendly. Flashy beats from Just Blaze, The Neptunes and Timbaland can be found all over the album. This is definetly not a bad thing but I would rather hear some more toned-down beats from Kayne West or DJ Premier (see: Reasonable Doubt) and less synthesizers for Hova to rap over. Songs like F**k All Night, The Bounce, and 2 Many Hoes get repetitive. Now to the good stuff. Jay-Z is, and always has been a great rapper. In A Dream, Jigga recalls a dream in which he talked to Biggie. The Watcher 2, featuring Dre and Rakim is definetley dope. Likewise, Poppin Tags featuring Big Boi and Killer Mike and U Don't Know (Remix) featuring MOP will get your head noddin. But Jay-Z also includes several serious tracks, like Meet the Parents and Some How, Some Way. Both are great songs and show Jay-Z is more than pop-star. BP2 is more of the same ol' Jigga Man. Buy it if you are a fan of his.
Score: 8.4/10

Simon
January 2nd, 2003, 8:43 AM

[b]Nas: God's Son
Nas is probably my favorite rapper still making music. So I was excited for God's Son and extremely happy when he did not sign with Murder Inc. Anyway, to the review. Get Down, the first track on the album, is my favorite on the whole CD. Nas busts some ill rhymes over a dope beat. The Cross, produced by Eminem, and Last Real N***a Alive are also great Nas songs. Hey Nas may be too soft for some people, but I like it a lot. The beat is mad chill and I like the chorus from the chick from City High. In Book Of Rhymes, Nas finds his old rhyme books and recites some really dope shit. Definetly one of my favorite tracks. As a whole, the album is great - IMO better than Stillmatic. Get it if you liked Stillmatic.
Score: 8.7/10

Simon
January 2nd, 2003, 8:44 AM
Fat Joe - Loyalty
For me, Fat Joe has always been in the shadow of Big Pun...in more ways than one. While he'll never have the incredible flow of Pun, this album goes a long way to restoring the point that, while he isn't on Pun's level, he is still a competent rapper who never fails with the beats on his albums. The beats make this album, without a doubt...Joe is on form in It's Nothing and TS Piece, and there are a few definite club hits - Crush Tonight, Bust At You (with 2pac's 'Straight Ballin' providing the backing). Appearances from the much underrated Remy Martin (as far as female rappers go), Baby, Scarface and the frankly awful Prospect and Armageddon (who also produces most of the beats) do little to make the album any better...this album is lyrically average, none of the rappers are special on the mic, but it's all about the beats. Check out the songs mentioned above, plus "Take A Look At My Life", "All I Need" and "Shit Is Real Pt 3", an ode to Pun. The production is mostly done by Armageddon, but I think Kool and Dre are on there somewhere...good stuff.

If you're looking for lyrics, I'll give this a 6/10. If you're looking for bats, I'd give it an 8/10. So overall, this is 7/10.

7/10

Simon
January 2nd, 2003, 8:48 AM
Originally posted by Suno
Gang Starr - Full Clip

32 tracks with PRIMO production, 15/10, no joke!

Webbicho
January 2nd, 2003, 8:51 AM
Scarface shows the youngsters how it should be done.
By Douglas Passion

Every hiphop legend falls. Once an old-timer loses a step, it's simply a matter of time before he's devoured by a younger, meaner, hungrier version of himself. The triumph of youth over age is not only natural; it is inevitable. Call it hiphop's version of Darwinism - survival of the illest.

Any young bucks hoping to separate Scarface from his throne will be in for quite a nasty surprise. Though long in the tooth, this guy is still meaner and hungrier than just about anyone. On The Fix, Face's seventh solo release, the longtime Geto Boy sounds downright rejuvenated.

In an era where jumbled seventy-minute opuses have become more the standard than the exception, The Fix refreshingly clocks in at a tidy eleven tracks (excluding the intro and outtro). Combining strong lyricism, consistent production and a few stellar cameo appearances, The Fix is Scarface's best album since The Diary.

When Scarface won "Lyricist of the Year" at the 2001 Source Awards against the likes of Eminem, Jay-Z and Talib Kweli, some skeptics viewed the distinction as something of a lifetime achievement award. Scarface has obviously taken the honor seriously. On The Fix, Face spits as if duty-bound to justify his recent accolades. His wordplay, his flow and his ability to convey emotion are just as sharp as they've ever been.

Even early in his career, Scarface spoke with the wisdom and authority of the proverbial original gangster. As a veteran, his words hold even more weight. Scarface's maturity is particularly striking when juxtaposed against hiphop's current crop of thuggish newjacks who unconvincingly spout tales of street life. It takes but one cut from The Fix to notice the difference between Face and the pretenders. On the album's opening cut, "Safe", Face dispenses four minutes of sage advice for the aspiring corner hustler. "So listen up, my niggas," he raps, "and I ain't trying to preach/ I'm just telling it from my side, 'cause I'm in the streets/ I've been there, done that/ seen a whole neighborhood destroyed by the government being tipped off my one rat."

On "My Block", Scarface paints a portrait of the rugged 5th Ward neighborhood from which he emerged. The same melodic piano riff used on M.O.P's "World Famous" works as the perfect backdrop to Face's earnest reminiscing. "On my block, everybody's business ain't your business," he recalls, "What's going on this house stay in here, comprende?/ On my block, you had to have that understanding/ 'cause if you told Miss Patty she went and told Gladys/ And when Country Mama got it, it was all on the wire/ and when word got back, they set your ass on fire."

True to the album's title, The Fix has no shortage of drug-related content. On one of the album's strongest cuts, "Guess Who's Back?", Roc-a-Fella cohorts Jay-Z and Beanie Sigel join up with Face to ruminate on their shared history of hustling. Over the soulful Kanye West creation, Scarface describes the grinder's mentality. "Started with an 8-ball," he raps, "gotta get this cake, dog/ give niggas a break? Nah/ you know how the game go/ Fuck you think I slang fo'?"

Ironically, Roc-a-Fella arch-nemesis Nas also makes an appearance on The Fix. Musically soothing but rich in lyrical paranoia, "In Between Us", features Nas dropping a nice little verse that discusses the subject of loyalty. "Keep your enemies close," he warns, "where they can see you/ it's not your enemy who gets you, it's always your own people".

For those looking for the traditional Scarface sound, "What Can I Do?", is a return to the conversational delivery Face utilized on 1994's "I Never Seen A Man Cry". Featuring a well-sung R&B hook, he provides longtime listeners with the type of emotion-drenched content they have become accustomed to. Lest you think this song is strictly a throwback, the multi-syllable wordplay illustrates Scarface's continued development as an emcee. "Live and I learn," he ponders, "I sit, watch my cigarette burn/ down to the ash, it reminds me of the now and the past."

Despite the plethora of different knob-twisters who supply The Fix's musical backbone, the strength of the album's production lies in its consistency. Unlike many paint-by-numbers albums, the tracks made by the Neptunes, Kanye West and even Scarface himself merge together to create a unified vibe. Even the 'Tunes, who have built a career off a signature drum kit, scale back their sound to a less club-happy feel. From front to back, the album is as soulful as a smoky Southern blues club.

In time, youth will be served. A veteran like Scarface will eventually be replaced by one of the doorag-clad youngsters who impetuously grabs for the microphone without truly knowing what to do with it. For the sake of thoughtful street-oriented hiphop, we can only hope that guys like Face can keep the wolves at bay for another few years. For the time being, be thankful that albums like The Fix still exist.

spanish announce table
January 2nd, 2003, 2:20 PM
awesome review, webbicho

Suno
January 2nd, 2003, 2:55 PM
Just a stab in the dark, but did you right that webbicho?

Simon
January 2nd, 2003, 3:30 PM
Did any of you read it? Says at the top that it's by Doug Passion :\

Suno
January 2nd, 2003, 3:48 PM
I dunno what webbicho's real name is cuz

bobster
January 2nd, 2003, 4:30 PM
One of my favourite CD's, I hadnt listened to it for about a year until last month, so here goes, my first review:

Home Field Advantage
The High and Mighty

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00000JWG1.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

High and Mighty (also known as DJ mighty Mi and Mr Eon) are relatively unknown in the UK but are one of the best hip-hop/B-boy combinations I've ever come across. This album, originally released in 1999, this CD was the follow up to their previous efforts which included Rawkus collaboration album Soundbombing 2.

1. Tip off time
A great skit to kick things off. Crazy scratching creates a great sound which sets the tone for the album. Probably one of the best introduction skits I've heard. 4.5/5 (as a skit)

2. Dirty Decibels (Feat Pharaoh Monch)
A good track to kick things off. The only negative point is that Pharoah Monch is limited to the chorus. Still a good tune. 4/5

3Top Prospects Feat. Evidence And Defari
This track has a darker feel to it, but is still kicking. Nice beat and loop with some good lyrics over the top. 3/5

4. Dick Starbuck (porno detective)
This track is great. Superb beat, brilliant flow by Eon. The lyrics are superb, with a few comedic parts such as:
Now lets play doctor, or should I say dentist?
I be Starbuck, you the dental hygenist
First brush your teeth, then rinse please
orally like Monica Lewinsky

Comedic, but funky too. Mi scratches the tune and a sample like crazy at the end, I liked this, but it gets better later on. 4.5/5

5. B-Boy document '99

The first single off the album featured Mos Def (another artist who I like). Great beat again (This is the same right through the album) which Eon switching his delivery slightly. Catchy chorus which samples "rock the kasbah". I love the bit:

I'm Jedi Master, Mase Windu, what you been through
Keep MC's heads wrapped like Erykah Ba-du
Hip-Hop's Cleon Jones, when Eon Jones
Wackest MC's, we pee on those

Great tune 4.5/5

6. Last Hit Feat. Eminem
This is Eminem before he started to get annoying. The 2 whiteboys, Eon and Slim shady tear it up over an ok beat, but the tune is made by some awesome stratching of "Dont give a fuck" at the end. 4/5

7. A Yo (Skit)
Funnyish skit. Basic innuendo (E.g, The record company love the record and I'm willing to bet they'll take every 12" you got. A YO!) 12 year olds would probably give it a 5/5 but I'll play it safe with a 3/5

8. Hot Spittable
One of the weaker tracks on the album, but still decent especially with the lyrics:

Introduced Jack Daniels to Mary Jane
Now they dating in my body, shit ain't the same

I'll go: 3/5

9. The Meaning
One of my favourite songs on the album. The scratching at the end of the song is off the chart. Ripping Biggies "Ten crack commandments" to shit, Mi makes this tune awesome while Eon is giving out props. 5/5

10. In-Outs Feat. Cage
Another good tune. At this point of the album you realise that whatever comes on next, the beat is going to be awesome. I'd never heard of Cage but when he brings lyrics like:
I scribble declarations cause mental patients need it
Turn a dominatrix to a submissive cheerleader
Bite it beat it eat it hit it quit it
Then I stick my fingers in the fuckin mouth of critics

Then I had to get some more of his songs. 4/5

11. Papers Please (Skit)
Average skit 2.5/5

12. Shaquan & Eon Feat. Mad Skillz
Decent. Not stand out though. A filler. 3/5

13. The Half
A darker more erie beat kicks in here, but normal service is soon resumed. A moody feel to it as Eons delivery changes once again. Thats not a criticism of him though, his change in flow helps the album. 3.5/5

14. Hands On Experience Pt. Ii
A song about masturbation. Funny but also funky. Featuring a bunch of guys and girls I never heard of (Bobbito Garcia, Kool Keith, What What) there are some real standout lyrics here. Bits such as:

It's Hand Solo, one time again
I'm no jerk my friends, just for dick again and again
I put a towel up on the floor
for easy post-cleanup, get up, close my door
So my roommate won't bust me
like my mom did, and my dad did
and my college roommate did, with jerkers in my palm
That's why now, I do it dry
So that's the set up, I tilt my head up
puy my fingers on my nipple, swish around my pre-cum dribble

and

Holdin myself down when I'm on the clit
I've got gadgets like I'm fuckin James Bond and shit
Flippin myself, hittin the spots, keepin it hot
Got the lights off, porn's on, ready to rock, fukkit
"Ohhh What What!" I praise myself
And I haven't went blind, I've got days of health
Even amazed at the stealth speed my hand flicks
I represent for chicks and niggaz with they hands on they shit
Hah, you got experience?

I dunno why I like this song so much, maybe its because I can relate to it. :p 4.5/5

15. Weed
A tribute to the leaf:

Weed, weed, what a relief
Where will my eighth a day habit cease?
This an agricultural service announcement
You can treat it, and you can douse it

This is basically an extended skit. It could of been cut to a skit for about 1 minute long, but at 3.30, the repetative beat (no chorus) drags on. 3/5

16. Newman (Skit)
Decent skit. 2.5/5

17. Open Mic Night Remix
Another bunch of Mc's I never heard of: Thirstin Howl III and Wordsworth. Some great lyrics on this one such as: Let it be, and commence the record to play
I'm so ahead of my time when I talk there's a seven second delay
A heavy beat, great scratching on the chorus. A top tune 5/5

18. Mind, Soul, And Body
A decent tune. I'd write more but I'm getting knackered now. 3.5/5

19. Friendly Game Of Football
A good way to finish the album. The positioning of each song is great too. When you listen to some albums, you sometimes think, "well, I'd of put this track here and that track there" but this album has the tracks in great order which creates a good feel. Good commentary breaks on this track if a little short, does the job of wrapping up the album 3.5/5

Overall, this CD was a defining moment in my musical tastes. At the time I was listening to commercial(ish) hip hop from guys like 2pac, Biggie, Nas and Eminem. I saw H&M when they were supporting Eminem at a concert in London and brought their album. This album lead made to go onto listen to a whole bunch of artists such as Common, Mos Def, Jurassic 5, Slum Village, etc.

For anyone out there who is a commercial rap fan, all I can say is that Home field Advantage is the CD you need to buy to get yourself into a whole new hip hop. So many different beats and no tune sounds the same.

Great beats, superb lyrics, excellent flow, a superb balance between Eon and all the guest mc's plus about 10 different Star Wars references - What more do you want from a hip hop CD?

Ratings:

Beats: 10/10
Lyrics/flow: 9/10
Overall 9.5/10

Flow
January 2nd, 2003, 11:32 PM
Very cool thread. I downloaded both Better Dayz and Man vs Machine in their entirities tonight so I might add reviews on them tomorrow or over the weekend.

Ronald McDonald
January 3rd, 2003, 1:38 AM
How do you guys feel about Indy rapper album reviews? I think it's all good, in order to kinf of promote our favorite Indy rappers to other posters. So here's the debut to one of my fav Indy Cds.

Mr. Sancho The True Player

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000058DWG.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg
Mr. Sancho is a Mexican/Latin rapper coming off the streets of San Diego."Sancho" meaning in Spanish as your Wifes Fuck Friend while you're not there, at work etc. He works for the Indy label Low Profile Records which is owned by fellow rapper Royal T. Mr. Sancho is a fast Bone Thug type speedd rappe r(On Kazaa Search a file entitled "Mr Sancho_Tongue Twist" Exactly like that to get a good idea of his style/flow/delivery). This boy is always dropping heat. His style is quite unique as that he sometimes blends in English with Spanish. Which sounds tight rather or not you know Spanish. He started off rapping tracks on other Low Profile members track than got his ow CD. Well enough about who he is lets get a review of his Debut album up.

The CD Starts off with a song entitled "To Everybody" Which pretty much tells all the haters fuck you and such. Pretty tight song using an Oldie beat. But don't let the first beat fool you the beats on this Cd are banging. Track 2 "International Trip" is basicilly off of a Hot Jamiacan/Bahama beat. Which basicilly talks about an International Trip where he basicilly raps about getting blazed up. Track 3 I ain't feelin much as it has the feel of a Mexico Club type beat. His rhymes are bangin I'm just not feelin the beat.
Track 4 "Be Rollin/Califa Thugs" is some straight hot shit. This track is from his group the "Califa Thugs" Which has a blazin CD But that's another review. This track is blazin from beginning to end. Track 5 "In My Eyes" has a tight ass beat and a pretty tight chorus. He shows off some of his rapping skills hard in this track.
Track 6 "Hey Girl" I really like this song. Hot beat, Hot Lyrics. At first hear you actually think he's talking about a female friend but,in the end you find out what he's really singing about, and It gives the song a whole nother meaning It was meant to sound kind of funny/not gangster style. Track 7 Hot beat Tight Lyrics. Shit chorus. Weak ass chorus. Track 8, Sucks major ass. Track 9 "I Reminisce" is definitely one of the CD's deepest song, as he is rapping to his slain homie. Any one who has lost a close friend can relate to the song except the slight slanguage barrier. This song carries a heavy ass beat and Tight lyrics along with IMO a dope Rapping talent with wonderful ability. Track 10 Ooh Mamma is basicilly a song with a tight beat and the reason they call him MR. SANCHO. Track 11 " Plenty of Feria" (Feriabeing soanish slang for money) Has a deep meaning if you're from the streets, Which is so true with veses like "Who gonna love you when you're lonely and you're cold and broke/Who gonna wanna be your homie when theres nothin to smoke/Who's gonna get you a hook up on the cris and coke. etc. Just Listen.Tight beat.

Track 12 "Thugstaz want to get high" Hottest joint on the CD IMO Just listen to this shit. TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT.
And the Final Track,Track 13 "No PAtience" Is basicilly his view on how hard it is being a Mexican/Latino/Chicano in this world today. With a tight beat.
Track 14 is an Outro.

He don't really rap in spanish but he throws in occasional Spanish words. If you check him out and need minor word translatin PM me.
I'm really feelin this guy. He drops some super hot Shit. If WESTCOAST Latino rap ever makes it mainstream within the coming years I feel this guy will be a reason. Some People don't feel him Some do. I Def. do. I would reccomend you going out and copping this shit now. Only 13 songs and having 10 of them being good I find this an awesome CD. 8.5/10

Still not convinced to give this guy a chance Check out these Tracks off Kazaa:

Thugstaz Want To get high
MR Sancho Califa Thugs (To get this one type in Thug Shit in the Kazaa search thing and look for the Title"Mr Sancho Califa Thugs")
I Reminisce.
Hey Girl
Kronica Smoke
Sureno Thugs.
Don't wanna be your man

That should convince you enough.

Bone Thugs N Harmony - Thug World Order review coming next.

Simon
January 3rd, 2003, 9:39 AM
Ronald McDonald - download Cuban Link's 'Hey Mama' and tell me what's sung on the chorus :) I have never been able to work it out.

And I'm going to have a look at that Sancho guy, I love Latino hip-hop but haven't heard anything new in ages...:yes:

Flow
January 3rd, 2003, 10:33 AM
– Meh, brief overview…

The Last Temptation by Ja Rule

Intro
Just Rule shouting about putting the track on at Gotti, the intro isn’t twenty seconds long.
“Thug Lovin’” FEAT: Bobby Brown
Like Suno says it’s a catchy “pop” song, although as far as catchy pop songs go it’s a lot better than “Hot in Herre” or some similar stuff.
6.5/10
“Mesmerize” FEAT: Ashanti
It’s not much different from “Thug Lovin’” in context, just about sex and the relationship. It reminds me a bit of the “I’m Real” remix only it’s not as good.
5/10
“Pop Niggaz” FEAT: Pharrell
This is a lot better than the two songs before it, Pharrell doesn’t do a lot on the track, alright beat, nothing special but an alright track.
6.5/10
“The Pledge Remix” FEAT: Nas, Ashanti and 2Pac
One of the better songs on the album, personally I can’t stand Ashanti so that takes away from it a bit, Nas’ and Rule’s verses are both good, and there’s just like a voiceover of Pac talking near the end.
7.5/10
“Murder Reigns”
Some decent lyrics and a cool beat, I think the beat was sampled from somewhere else but still.

- - “Cos if I ever walk the green mile,
You can look at me and blame it on my lifestyle,
What can I say? I was raised as a lonely child,
Lonely,
Pappa disowned me,
So the streets raised me,
To call me crazy is not unheard of,
Now it’s gonna rain down murder”
8/10
“Last Temptation” FEAT: Charli Baltimore
Good up-beat, like party song, B’more is a whore and she drops the N Bomb a couple of times, she’s white though :S But she’s not as famous as J’lo so there won’t be any backlash. Lyrics and flow are good.
7/10
“Murder Me” FEAT: Cadillac Tah and Alexi
I don’t like this song, tis pretty shite. Just about the same shit as “Mesmerize” and half of “Last Temptation”, just about fucking whoever it is.
5/10
“The Warning”
I love this song, just Rule on his own, good lyrics and delivery.
- - “And you’ll never look in my eyes,
And you’ll never, ever smile,
Cos your high’s coming down,
And you can’t touch me…
…but if you really wanna fuck with me,
C’mon and get your heat my nigga,
Told you before my nigga,
Don’t ever doubt this nigga”
9/10
“Connected” FEAT: Eastwood and Crooked I
A decent song I reckon, Eastwood’s and Crooked I’s verses are probably better than Rule’s, not a great song but a gooden about respect.
7.5/10
“Emerica” FEAT: Young Life and Chink Santana
This is a ‘comedy’ song about ecstasy in America, hence the title. Good beat and delivery, well, good to just chill back and relax to. Young Life looks promising I’m gonna look up some more of his stuff.
8/10
“Rockstar”
Probably the best song on the LP, just Rule on his own again with some great lyrics and delivery.
- - “Said a nigga was raised up in the streets,
Yeah momma I’m a thug,
Is the lord in me?
You and everyone else,
Lord me please shine down on me,
I’m not the only nigga that prays everyday for forgiveness,
This world is making me **insert lyrics here that I can’t make out**,
The media always wants the exclusive,
Well here it is, fuck them all,
Baby cos they’re useless”
9/10
“Destiny (Outro)”
Just some random rapping about various different subjects, only lasts a couple of minutes.
In conclusion:
He raps about sex too much, the phrase “Murder Inc.” and/or “Ru’ Baby!” gets shouted out or mentioned about 10 times in every song and to a lesser extent so is “The Last Temptation”. There are a few really good songs on the LP, now that I write about it the LP isn’t as good as I originally thought it was, but for just chilling, laying back with the album on it’s a good album to have. If you don’t like Rule though you probably won’t like the album (stands to reason).
Overall – 7 - 7.5/10

Suno
January 3rd, 2003, 3:40 PM
OPERATION STACKOLA – LUNIZ

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000000W98.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Comin’ out of Oakland, California, Knumskull and Yukmouth AKA the Luniz smashed onto the scene back in 1995 with their classic hit ‘I Got 5 On It’, technically, the duo, amongst mainstream popular music heads could class them as your traditional “One hit wonders”; Received a fair portion of air time, got their five minutes of fame and faded back into obscurity with the Babylon Zoo’s of the industry. Truth be told the Luniz been holding’ there own since forever it seems, coming with west coast underground classics since they sprung, with there typical heavy base influenced left side beats and melodic ‘guaranteed-to-make-your-head-nod’ synth’s and hooks, the luniz spit some nice gangster raps, especially Yukmouth, who has a laid back approach to delivery and witty on point raps that contrast the beats perfectly, anyways track by track ima review 1995’s Operation Stackola…

1: Intro

Just some montage of previous luniz material, skippable after the first listen…

2: Put The Lead On Ya (Featuring Dru Down)

The Beat is made grimy, Got some funky chopped up base and piano sound, hard ass drums too, I really love the beat and the cameo by Dru Down is far from stellar, in fact most of the cameo’s on this album compliment it and only enhance the tracks, Dru Down’s deliberate and intense flow create a nice contrast too Yuk’ and knum’s laid back raps. They all spit some nice game, the basic jist is about survival of the fittest, get your papers by any means necessary, ie ‘putting the lead on em’, knumskulls opening verse is quite apt for describing the general vibe of the track:

‘I'm broke as fuck in this life that Im livin in
I'm watchin niggaz bubble an the jealousy is kickin in
I wanna pull licks but that jelousy don't fit me
let's bet on the set, I'm a vet runnin from Fifty
It spell out, so I'm a post to the fullest
Only servin then, the Ice Cream Man is out again,
It's jealous niggaz on the lurk still
We had a treaty, so now they goin back on they first deal
(Awww now they ready to put the lead on ya
how would you like it if a nigga was broke an came fed on ya??!!)’

3: I Got 5 On it (Featuring Michael Marshall)

Yeh, you all know this one, a beat that’s recently been re-hashed by J-Lo and Nas but for me this one is infinatly superior, the hook, provided by Marshall, and the eerie sounding synths just make it stand taller. Generally rap about getting blunted and high, and nicely pulled off by Yuk and Knum. Probably the best song on the album.

4: Broke Ho’s

Judging by the hook:

‘You Gotta have a J.O.B if you wanna be with me,
cos broke Ho’s is a no-no, Broke ho’s is an N.O.N.O. fo’ sure!’

In the same vein as Sporty Thieves ‘No Pigeons’, Yuk and Knumb provide some witty game on the subject. The beat makes this a stand out track, provided by Shock G of Digital Underground fame, It’s a rolling, seering piano melody lacing a choppy harmony on the base, very tight track!

5: Pimps, Playa’s & Hustla’s (Featuring Dru Down & Richie Rich)

Damn, I can express how chilled this beat is, just a joint you’d wanna kick back to, some melodic G-funk Synths that just remind me of warm summer evenings, Dru Down stands out on this track with some tight delivery on the verse:

‘I'm steadily stackin up on the green
ballas will use the triple beam
shot calla use they words
hustlas will use they shoulders, playas sit back an get served
now observe the definition of the pimp-mode
I take hoes, an break hoes, an hoes is stayin mobile, really though
doe is what I love, so what's up?
nigga who you tellin, that life always been tough
nigga I had it rough
an nigga it ain't no bluff
an potna I had my own mama sufferin, that's sumpthin’

Richie Rich comes tight too, love this joint! As you can tell the general sentiment is about the trials and tribune’s of being a Pimp, playa or a hustla.

6: Playa Hater (Featuring Teddy)

This ones ‘I Got 5 On It’ on Prozac, very upbeat summer time feel good track. Teddy (of Blackstreet fame) kicks a very nice hook, its just a real chilled out joint, nice funky nostalgic feeling base line, plenty of synths and horns, this could only be a west coast bomb. Yukmouth and Knumskull flow real nice on this one, at this point the content begins to grow thin, but the guys sound nice on top of an extremely nice beat, so really I have no complaints, lovin’ it!

7: Broke Niggaz (Featuring Knucklehead & Eclipse)

Deep contrast from the previous song, the beat is in the same vein as ‘Put The Lead On Ya’, real grimy feeling funk sampled joint, with a tight guitar riff looped, the West Coast stamp is the really hard G-funk synthy base sound. Track is about what Broke Niggaz will do to make ends meat, like they say ‘Broke Niggaz make the best crooks, ya best look, look over ya shoulder if youse a high roller!’
Again very nice guest appearances, especially Eclipse, who really Eclipse’s the others on the track:

‘See the whole thang was a plot
cuz that bitch you got, she gave me the scoop
12 o'clock
Lexus coupe
fill it up wit hella loot
since your neighbors are all in my business
you niggas don't need to know who the fuck this is
juss throw on a ski mask
and then I dash
this my last visit
and then I'm outtie
350 prob'ley
you niggas scared
don't stop me
I'm a pro
when it comes to gangsta robberies
the Paraphanalia
the niggas
the killas
the Mobb
the riggas
the skrilla
the dealas is doin they job
Eclipse
keeps clips
(So don't you make 'em wanna blast nigga)
I'd rather jack yo ass nigga
than be a broke ass nigga.’

Tight Jam!

8: Operation Stackola

The beat is above average, not the best on the album, kinda annoying the way the base melody stretches 5 seconds and is looped for the whole duration, some nice synths though, it’s rescued by the way Yukmouth and knumskull trade verses to tell a droll story that is Operation Stackola:

‘(Yukmouth)

Nigga notice I'm broke wit a loaded four-fifth gat
the real nigga rolled an showed us where you hide yo doe an shit at
he did juss that, showed me where the kicks at
an big scratch told Knum to come nigga lets get that.

(Knumskull)

Yuk pull over
park the Nova
tonight's the night, so I hope you write about the yola
I hold the Mag, lookin for the attack
search the whole fuckin crib cuz I know he got scratch.

(Yukmouth)

Creep up the mutha fuckin stairs wit the ski mask
on the second floor in the drawer there should be cash
but we laugh
cuz we see task cars right next door
but we poor, no budget fuck it, so kick down the door.

(Knumskull)

Boom kick it once
boom kick it twice
three times it's breakin an have the fuckin building shakin
make our way through the house nothin less nothin more
(where the kicks at??!!)
I think they in the third drawer.

(Yukmouth)

There's more
an that's a fa sho-sho I got the doe, now we up out the door
before the neighbors call po-po
to the mobile, to count the real deal bank roll
in my sock, I rub daily cuz it's scratchin my ankle.

(Knumskull)

It's morn-ing
we unleash to the streets
wit 12 g's a piece
headed straight to the East
better recognize this game is bought to be sold
that's why I pull licks fo some paper to fold.’

Worth a listen for the lyrics imo.

9: 5150 (Featuring Shock G)

Tight Joint, a beat that crawls a long at a slow pace, with some atmospheric effects and eerie sounding synths, about the luniz contemplating there fate, where they reflect on there life, and basically brand them psycho’s, hence the title ‘5150’, a very nice track some nice lyrics and tight flows from both the luniz.

10: 900 Blame A Nigga

Ill joint, not a completely different concept, but a nice humorous way the luniz approach quite a controversial subject like persecution of afro Americans. The beat for a start, is deffinetyly ill, some synth melody at the beginning that reminise ‘all I need’ by Method man, a nice rhythm with some chopped up vocal samples you’ve probably heard somewhere, Knum’s opening verse is tight:

‘How can I get blame for shit
That a nigga really didn't even do
One nigga did the dirt, but the blames on the whole crew
I feel like O.J., and Rodney
A little mayo, but still don't be havin
No happy days like Potsy
Nigga's get blamed for every thang
From robbin you house, to ho stroll's
And the tropicana cocaine
And if the sun turned black
{"Yup a nigga did it Jim"} OR
{"get a nigger over so I blame it on him"}’

11: Yellow Brick Road

one of my favourites on the album, nice vibe to the beat, some funky base, nice chopped piano key melody, a harmonic vocal sample in there to kick off each bar, and seering G-funk synths that rule tha skool! About hustling and extortion, but for some cliché gangsta rap concept, the Luniz comical and sharp take on the matter makes the track all that more better.

12: So Much Drama (Featuring Nik Nack)

Nice twist with the fem-cee Nik Nack spitting some on the opening verse. The beat is on that mellow tip, kinda jazzy, with a nice funky base, some vocal-corded rises in there, very. About dram in the streets, it’s the luniz delivery and flow that make it a tight joint, nice Yukmouth comes hot:

‘holdin shit,
to myself,
shotgun bullets be bad fo them health,
so save that gang-bang shit on somebody else,
where I peep thugs,
have drugs to sell you,
don't fuck wit the L-U-N-I-Z that's what they tell you,
peep the murder we wrote,
we roll wit C-Note an Noo-Trybe to fools slide,
at my show because I make the whole fuckin O hooride
slide to get the remedy,
M.D.’

13: She’s Just A Freak

Ill beat, tight base like, nice strings and synth, crisp drums, quite mellow, yet quite up-tempo, kinda in the same vein as ‘She Said’ by Ludacris, once again, Yuk and Knums delivery is tight, all the tracks are very pleasing to the ear.

14: Plead Guilty

[/I]Luniz on some political tip, tight ass beat once again, a constant piano melody throughout, reminds me of Beverly hills cop theme the odd cliché west coast sound effect thrown about, never a bad thing imo. The opening skit bit sums the song up perfectly:

‘No I'm not guilty, you're guilty. Law makers. Politicians. Business men.
The police. You don't see no black folks dropping packages out of
airplanes. You don't see none of that. You're the reason why, I'm a
criminal. You're the reason why, I'm.... The Ice Cream Man.’

Once again, the Luniz raps are on point with there usual tight delivery, what can I say another dope track.[/I]

15: I Got 5 On It (Reprise)

Exact same beat, with some un-enhanced vocals on the hook, and different verses from the Luniz, back and forth line trading between both Yuk and Knum, pretty tight, I prefer the original.

If you a big G-Funk/West Coast/Gangsta rap fan then you deffinetly love this album, if you looking for some tight ass beats with some nice sounding flows and deliverys, some shit to kick back to you’ll like it too, if you’re looking for some deep lyrical content then you might want to look elsewhere. The Luniz revise cliché matter in the gangster rap category but their take and the angle at which they spit about these concepts is somewhat refreshing, they both got skills and the guest appearances only enhance the tracks on which they crop up.

Overall Ill give it an 8.5 out of 10

Peace!

Ronald McDonald
January 4th, 2003, 5:07 AM
Ronald McDonald - download Cuban Link's 'Hey Mama' and tell me what's sung on the chorus :) I have never been able to work it out.

And I'm going to have a look at that Sancho guy, I love Latino hip-hop but haven't heard anything new in ages...:yes:

Ha I don't know maybe it's jus the version I got. But I can't really make it out it sounds like he's mumbling. I only could make out something like "My whole life you held me close to your heart" or "You will always be in my heart". or it could be "for Life, something something. I can't really make it out. But I'll call someone to figure it out.
Tight song though.

Simon
January 4th, 2003, 7:35 AM
:yes: Thanks.

And yer, it's a great song. Try telling everyone else that though :mad::D

Simon
January 4th, 2003, 12:26 PM
I just bought God's Son, will review later on...

Flow
January 4th, 2003, 4:13 PM

Canibus: Mic Club - The Curriculum
In my opinion, Canibus is easily one of the 5 best rappers to surface since Biggie and Pac's deaths. Yet, he remains virtually unknown among casual hip-hop fans. The only things that have helped him gain some recognition were his battles with LL Cool J and more recently, Eminem. The Curriculum is a new beginning for Canibus. He has settled down and started his own record label, Mic Club Music, and put together a great CD. Canibus, as usual, attacks the mic with intensity and brute force. On Bis vs. Rip, Canibus literally battles himself, splitting his personality in two. Reminds me of Gollum in LOTR. The beats are definetly solid throughout the CD and there aren't any bad tracks. Whether you're a Canibus fan or just want to check him out for the first time, this album is a good buy.
Score: 9/10

I went and downloaded this album, very, very good. :yes:

doyoulikepie
January 6th, 2003, 2:09 PM
has anoyone got the latest bone thugs album, thug world order. also if anyone has any of layzie single stuff, or any of the mo thung stuff could they post a quick review.

spanish announce table
January 6th, 2003, 4:56 PM
ive had the new BTNH album for a month now

Bizzy rips every track he gets on. His verse on "Money, Money" is full of anger and he comes across strong. It kinda sounds like Layzie was the main guy who got the group back together because he plays more of an active role on the songs instead of just rapping his verse, he sings some of the choruses too, but almost all choruses are done by Krayzie.

There's a lot of different subject matter too, which is always good. "Guess Who's Back" is uptempo and tells everyone that they've never changed and never went anywhere. "Get up, get out" is the inspiritional 'put your mind to it' songs. "Pump, Pump" is classic bone, with the beat sounding like a mix of "Thug Luv" and "Make my day". "If I fall" is more of a spiritual song and is one of the more harmonized songs.

overall: 7.8/10

Raw Is Jonathan
January 7th, 2003, 9:01 AM
I just bought God's Son, will review later on...

/me twiddles his thumbs

Simon
January 7th, 2003, 2:38 PM
Nas - God's Son

Get Down - Samples James Brown's classic all the way through, providing a really excellent beat. Nas is on point as usual, and uses Brown's 'Get Down!' chorus in an original way - his story of a guy robbing a bank (I think, I'd have to listen again) and telling the public to 'get down' while he shoots. Excellent song, great beat and lyrics.

The Cross - Eminem's production on this is actually pretty good. After some of the dull beats from The Eminem Show, I wasn't expecting much, but it's decent enough (although he's not going to run the Beatnuts for their money just yet) and, as goes without saying, really, Nas is on fire lyrically again. The song is basically about Nas' comeback - though from what, I don't know...Nas never fell off, just made a couple of shite albums :D. Not a standout track, but only because the album is filled with great tracks. Still a decent track.

Made You Look - The first single off the album, and to be honest I'm not a big fan of it. The beat is funky, but it gets pretty annoying quite quickly. I guess it does it's job in that it'll stick in your head. Typical pop-rap really, stereotypical bragging that does nothing for rap music, and gives the haters plenty of ammunition with the old 'rap is all about guns, bitches and drugs' line. Disappointing.

Last Real Nigga Alive - Seems like the beef will never die. Nas rips Jay Z once again, as if he hadn't proved his worth as king of New York. Nice, chilled beat, that shouldn't go with a battle rap, but somehow it works. It's more saying how good Nas is than saying how bad Jay is, but he makes his point. Some nice big-ups for Biggie, Rakim, Ghostface et al. Nice to see a rapper showing his respect on wax rather than concentrating on his own braggadocio. I think he should let the Jay Z shit die, but this song is still good.

Zone Out - First off, who the hell are the Bravehearts? Collabos are nice, but only if you're getting some talent on the track. These guys are pathetic. The one plus is that they drop their sole verses on the worst song on the album. Nas as per usual drops well, and the beat is so-so, but you won't want to listen to it anyway. Skip this track

*1/2

Hey Nas - Ah, this is more like it. Beat is funky as hell, and Nas' drops decent lyrics on an old topic, but he pulls it off, just about. Kelis and the bird from City High are on the chorus, which is pretty cool. Now comes the quality...

I Can - Got to be the second single. I think it was in America, but it's not out here yet...but it just has to be. Catchy, catchy, CATCHY. It's got a famous classical piece on the beat, which I forget the name of...it's in the film 'It'. The beat is oh-so-simple, but very nice. Nas drops nice lyrics yet again (bored of me saying that yet? :D) on an uplifting song in the style of 'Lose Yourself' - believe in yourself and you can do anything you want. Kids on the chorus guarantee sales, but somehow Salaam Remi (and who is this guy? I never heard of him, but he rules!) has produced it without making it sound cheesy. Very nice.

***1/2

Book Of Rhymes - Contender for best song on the album...easily the most inventive. No idea whether there's any truth in what he's claiming he's doing on this track, but basically he claims to have found a book of lyrics he wrote in his teen years, that he forgot about, and he brings it to the studio to see how it would work as a song. Nas creates a real atmosphere by admitting, somewhat humorously, that his first couple of pages are 'weak...just weak'. He starts his verse again a couple of times after he finds he dislikes his first attempts, and you can hear pages turning in the background. Incidentally, one of the 'weak' rhymes he drops at the start of the song is actually my favourite line on the album - "How can I trust you when I can't trust me?". Great stuff. These lyrics are absolutely immense, bordering on his One Mic lines from Stillmatic. Incredible. Did I forget to mention the beat? Well that's a mistake by me, because Alchemist drops a fine cut on this song, very dreamy and fits perfectly with Nas' reminiscent rapping. Fantastic song, basically.

****1/2

Thugz Mansion N.Y. - And this is the other contender for best song on the album. Magnificent and, at least to me, unheard of rap music - a guitar, a singer, and two of the best rappers to ever bless this Earth with their presence. The other guy is 2pac, by the way :D. This is on 2pac's latest release, "Better Dayz" as well, but I prefer this one, it's got crisper production and the singing is a little clearer. However, where clarity is increased, atmosphere is decreased. Without knowledge of circumstances, the version on his album could quite easily pass for a live recording, and not even in the studio - the lack of clarity makes it sound really homely. But anyway, that's not this version. This version is better. Best lyrics on the album, a beautiful tale of surviving life's struggles to live forever in a heaven reserved for the ghetto population - the Thugz Mansion. You really have to listen to this song to see how brilliant it is, and how unusual it is, also. If anyone can recommend any similar acoustic raps with just a guitar, I'd be appreciative. Almost as good, in a musical sense, as pure hip-hop can get, in my opinion.

****3/4

Mastermind - Another nice beat, very eerie sounding, which goes with the song. Not a fan of the repetitive chorus, but the lyrics more than make up for it. Again, in relation to the other songs on the album, this is merely average - put it on a weaker artist's album, and it'd get the props it deserves. This is one for the true fans - a basic but nice beat, and pure lyrics. More good stuff.

Warrior Song - A really African sounding beat, produced by Alicia Keys, who also appears on the chorus. The beat is damn funky, and Key's excellence on the piano, plus her music writing ability makes for a real jazzy number. Nas' flow on this is better than any other song on the album, and his lyrics are on point. This is really Alicia Keys' song though, the production is better than I would have expected from her, and her backing his lyrics is a nice touch. Another good track.

***1/2

Revolutionary Warfare - HELL YEAH! Funkin' it up, this is a side of Nas we don't usually see. Quite poppy beat, but Nas' hits with a more hardcore style than the chilled style he holds for most of the album. Strange that more than once in this song, and also on Book Of Rhymes, Nas rips on Gandhi, of all people...dunno what that's about, weirdness. Some guy called Lake is on this track...he's pretty crappy. Again I'll make the point that these beats NEED a collabo with a Method Man, a Redman...hell, this beat would have made Fat Joe look good. So again a potentially excellent song is spoiled by weak collaborations. Ignoring Lake, this song is very good.

***1/2

Dance - First off, the beat is chilled as hell, and Nas matches this with a whispering flow similar to his calm side on 'One Mic'. This is real sit-back-and-just-chill-the-hell-out music. For a moment I thought Pharell was on the chorus, but on hearing again, I realised it was Nas singing. Not good. To be fair, he's not terrible, not as bad as Jay Z (is there anything that guy can claim to be better than Nas at?!), but the high pitched stuff doesn't suit him at all. I think that the slightly off-key singing is deliberate though, as part of this awesome ode to his recently deceased mother (I think she died of cancer...R.I.P....). Beautiful song really, and Nas really goes all out to make this as nice as possible, with a harmonica dropped in for textra poignancy. The beat is not dissimilar to 2pac's "My Block" remix from Better Dayz, which is not a bad thing by any means. Really nice song.

Heaven - Slightly dull beat, but this is all about Nas' lyrical prowess. The chorus sounds like it has both Bone Thugs and Mary J. Blige, but apparently not. They really do sound similar to whoever does the chorus though. Speedy flow from Nas, and of course he pulls it off with consumate ease, proving that he can go with almost any style. Lyrics aren't especially great, but they're still good. I think Dance should have been the last song on the album, but this one is a decent enough finish.

***1/2

-----------------------------------------------

So, all in all, this is a great album. No skits, no filler tracks (though the pure embarassment that the Bravehearts create on Zone Out make it damn close to a skip-this track. Fans will not be disappointed, this is certainly better than Stillmatic, and has four absolute top-draw songs - Get Down, Thugz Mansion, Book Of Rhymes and Dance. I'm not going to give an ignorant comment saying that it's among the best hip-hop albums ever created or something like that, because I simply don't have a vast enough expanse of knowledge of hip-hop to compare it to. What I will say is that it's the best album in the last year or so.

9/10

spanish announce table
January 7th, 2003, 5:06 PM
If anyone can recommend any similar acoustic raps with just a guitar, I'd be appreciative.

k-os - heaven only knows (Or you could get the remix with the 'today was a good day' sample)

k-os feat. Rascalz - follow me

k-os - superstar pt.0 (not acoustic, but one sick jazz beat)

Raw Is Jonathan
January 8th, 2003, 10:10 AM
/me definitely thinks it was worth the wait simone :yes:

Simon
January 8th, 2003, 10:48 AM
It's worth getting as well :cool:

I forgot to review the bonus disc, but it's not much cop anyway.

Smell It?
January 8th, 2003, 12:49 PM
Would a review of Darius' dive in be appropriate here?

Brennino
January 9th, 2003, 10:44 AM
Redman - Whut? Thee Album.

I thought I may as well add in one of the classics in this thread, seeing as you bastards are reviewing current albums. :mad:

Whut? Thee Album is a must have album and I lost my original copy and bought it again yesterday, so I listened to it again for the first time in about four months.

:heart: Whut? Thee Album. :heart:

I think this was released in 1992-1993, one of those years and it is a must have album for any hip hop fan. Kinda like your Chronic album, or your Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em. :blah:

:wtf:

Anyways, this album is pure ass funkyness. Anything that has Erick Sermon on the production, you know it's gonna rule (ignore EPMD's Out Of Business). If you like oldschool EPMD, and I don't see how you couldn't, then this album is kind of a continuance of the EPMD feel. It has a lot of classic tracks, including Time 4 Sum Aksion, So Ruff, Tonite's Da Night and Hardcore to name but a few.

The album starts off with a lot of drums and Redman's flow is on point throughout the album. This album is also where the whole Soopaman tracks started that Redman has included in all of his albums since, like Badboy did with the Madd Rapper.

If I could be assed really, I'll do a track by track review at some stage later on, but at the minute I really could not be bothered. But I felt it needed a mention because I just got it again and also because there is not enough old school love in this thread. :$

Raw Is Jonathan
January 10th, 2003, 3:39 PM
Originally posted by Smell It?
Would a review of Darius' dive in be appropriate here?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

:$

QuietStorm
January 10th, 2003, 5:14 PM
Talib Kweli "Quality"

1. Keynote Speaker

Dave Chapelle introduces Talib Kweli in his usual hilarious self. Pretty good intro I guess with the highlight being Chapelle calling Talib a "3-time Nobel Peace Prize Winner"

2. Rush

The song definitely takes on it's name as it gives you a rush upon listening. Talib spits great lyrics in an up-tempo style. The beat has a rock song feel to it. Xzibit talks about Kweli for a bit at the end of the track.

3. Good To You

Talib spits more on-point lyrics. A little bit corny at times I guess but very deep for the most part. The beat is decent at best but the chorus is pretty nice with a girl's voice singing to the beat and Talib saying "Call it skill, call it game, call it glow, call my name, Like the lord, all in vein, screaming like you all in pain"

4. Shock Body

Pretty poppy drum beat and chorus but Talib's voice always comes very strong and his lyrics are as good as ever on this track. His second verse especially kills it.

5. Get By

The track has a funky piano beat and with the woman at the start of the song it has sort of a churchy feel to it I guess. But with Talib starting the song off with the lyrics "We sell crack to our own out the back of our home" you know it is going to be some deep stuff. One of my favorite tracks on the album.

6. Stand To The Side

Slower song which actually incorporates tap dancing into it towards the song. Talib has an amazing flow in this song and the song has a very good message to it. Vinia Mojica sings in the chorus "Fuck the politics and pride...I just try to stay alive"

7. Gun Music

An ode to guns but it still has some important words as Talib speaks on the government being at fault for the blood spilling in the streets. He speaks about what people around the world are using guns for. Not my favorite song but not too bad. The short skit at the end of the track is kinda humorous.

8. Put It In The Air

DJ Quik produced song that is definitely a party track. Definitely not the greatest lyrics and Quik's verse is typical pimped-out Quik but it serves it's purpose and is definitely pleasing to the ears.

9. Waitin' For The DJ

The song that most of you have probably heard since it is the single. Talib's flow is amazing and he uses an up-tempo style in short spurts between the "Waaaitin for the DJ" chorus. Great single in my opinion.

10. Talk To You

Slow love track with an R & B feel. Well, you always need one or two of these on an album I guess. Kinda boring but I guess it is a good song to play for your girl. Well there is only one verse too which sucks and like the last three minutes are basically Bilal lullabying. Nothing special.

11. Joy

Good track where Talib talks about his two greatest days with the birth of his son in 1996 and daughter in 1999. Mos Def is on the chorus which is always a welcome to my ears. I just wish he had a verse on the CD. Oh well. But yeah, Talib is great at spitting a story and nothing is realer than the birth of his seeds.

12. The Proud

One of my favorite songs on the CD and definitely the most political. He speaks on subjects ranging from Timothy McVeigh's execution and how at first it was thought to be an Islamic terrorist bombing to a drunk police officer killing an entire family in Brooklyn and how he thinks the police killed Biggy and Pac or at least know who did. He then goes on to talk about September 11th and how America came together but even though we became a more patriotic nation we still have tons of problems to deal with. The chorus flows perfectly. Very deep song. Talib hit the nail on the head with this one.

13. Where Do We Go

Talib comes with an amazing flow. He sings together with Res on the chorus and his flow, at least on the first and third verses, he is kind of sing-songy and very deep again. The piano-laced beat hits every note perfectly. It is a hard track to describe so I guess you have to listen to it for yourself. But you will probably be saying wow after hearing it the first time.

14. Guerilla Monsoon Rap

When I saw that Talib Kweli was going to feature Black Thought of The Roots and Pharoahe Monch on a track I about jumped for joy right there. And they certainly did not disappoint. Kanye West kills the beat and Black Thought And Pharoahe are untouchable on their verses. This song is going to be a certified classic.

15. Won't You Stay

Another slower track to end the CD but as Talib says, "This is the best part of the trip". Another love-type song with decent production. Kendra Ross has a beautiful voice that suits the chorus well. I don't know if this was the best way to end the album but it sounds as if Talib was contemplating whether or not he wants to get out of a relationship or not. Maybe he was using a relationship as an analogy for having to end his CD.

All in all it is a great CD that I would recommend to hip hop lovers and haters alike. I don't know if I did that great of a job of describing the songs but I was kinda in a rush so I did the best I could.

9/10

NightShade
January 12th, 2003, 11:24 PM
Good up-beat, like party song, B’more is a whore and she drops the N Bomb a couple of times, she’s white though

:wtf: No, she's not. I mean, she's light and all, but white? No.

Simon
January 13th, 2003, 7:53 AM
Charli B is the worst female rapper I've ever heard :\

Webbicho
January 14th, 2003, 1:54 AM
For the record I didnt write this, but I agree with it.

Mos def and Talib kweli are Blackstar

Pros
The near perfect hip hop CD

Cons
A little short

The Bottom Line
If you are a hip hop fan, it would be a crime not to buy this. End of story.

Full Review

God, it’s good. It’s spectacular, wonderful, brilliant, amazing, the kind of thing that only comes around once a decade that you just cannot miss. Mere adjectives cannot describe how incredible this is. What is it? It’s Mos Def and Talib Kweli are Blackstar, and it will be setting the standard for the next 10 years. Don’t believe me? Read on...

Both of these two talented individuals from New York have been rocking it since back in the day. Many of us remember ‘Fortified Live’ and ‘Universal magnetic’, both of which were classic cuts, but it was only in 1997 that the two came together to do an album. Put simply, it is the ultimate partnership. Kweli possesses a unique style of rhyming, and although you he doesn’t have a hugely powerful voice and flow, his lyrics, which contain witty metaphors and quick vocal punch-lines, more than make up for it. Mos Def on the other hand has a completely unique bubbly voice, with which he can use to great effect on the mic. His lyrics are poignant, vicious, funny and moving all at the same time. But what makes all this work is that Def and Kweli complement each other perfectly - there is no mismatching, no “who’s that rapping?”, no mix ups as in other partnerships like Mobb Deep. It is, quite simply, brilliant.

Next up, it is time to talk about the tracks. This is where I can safely say that the old pitfall of every great album having one or two filler or throwaway tracks is finally put to rest. Put simply, out of the thirteen tracks on this album, there is no filler. There is no
track where the quality slips a bit. Every single one, it’s own unique way, is a classic.

Now, I could go on and on about how brilliant each track is, but there are a few serious stand-outs out of the myriad of classics that deserve recognition.

‘Astronomy (8th Light)’ is the first stand-out track that get’s your head nodding. Def and Kwe freestyle over a chilled, spaced-out beat, provided by the oh-so talented DJ Hi Tek, and it kicks off the album perfectly. Next up is the unbelievable ‘Definition’. Remember the ‘P is still free’ beat? You guessed it. Hi Tek again works his magic, and armed with fiery lyrics and one of the catchiest, most ingenious choruses ever, the beat and the modified BDP chorus are just brilliant. One listen, and you’ll know what I’m talking about.

On ‘Children’s Story’, Mos Def shows us how he can easily hold it down alone. Shawn J Period and Mos pay homage to Slick Rick as Mos rips a rad story over a funky beat. Then, on ‘B Boys will be Boys’, Mos and Kweli represent for Rock Steady, Zulu Nation and all the worlds’ breakers over a classic break-beat. On ‘Hater Players’, they flip the concept of being labelled a hater, while at the same time taking a stand against commercial rap.

However, what is probably the best track on the album is the Common-featured ‘Respiration’. Here, over a chilled guitar and soft base, and backed by a Spanish woman whispering, which Tek again masterfully orchestrates, the three potent MCs all break down the ‘organism’ of a city, and it’s different moods and environments. In the years to come, they will celebrate this as one of the all time classics.

They tackle the issue of how blacks live there lives in modern society in the quiet ‘Thieves in the Night’, which uses a passage from ‘The Bluest Eye’ by black author Toni Morrison. They break down a cipher with fellow underground MCs Punch, Wordsworth and Jane Doe on ‘Twice Inna Lifetime’. They do a brilliant ode to a beautiful woman with ‘Brown Skin Lady’. Quite simply, this is brilliant. Production from Hi Tek, J. Rawls of the Lone Catalysts, Shawn J. period, 88 Keys and Geology, coupled with the
dynamic duo’s brilliance make every cut an instant favourite. 13 cuts - every one a classic. Not many artists could pull that off until now.

Unfortunately, this is where the only problem with this amazing album lies. It is only thirteen tracks. It’s just too short, just when you are into it, feeling it, loving it, it all ends. You are left, like Oliver Twist, wailing “please sir, I want some more” When there is a sequel (oh, please, oh please) let’s hope that this get’s addressed as if they can do this again, only longer, we would end up with the ultimate hip hop album.

The thing above all others that makes this album unique, aside from the tracks, rhymes etc. is the fact that it is unique. There is nothing like it, and there never will be nothing like it again. It is effortlessly underground, yet still manages to give us a whole spectrum of songs from the bangers (‘Definition’ ) to the love jams (‘Brown Skin Lady’) to meaningful social comment (‘Thieves in the Night’) all of which is put together with a measure of care that is, in this day and age, truly heartwarming - just check the CD sleeve to see what I mean.

What more is there to say? Rhymes? Beautiful. Production? Flawless. Flow? Slick. Length?...Ok, I know. That aside, Def and Kweli have taken the status quo of hip hop, turned it upside down, spun it around and redecorated it, with unbelievable results. Blackstar were, are and will be the most talented duo in hip hop, and until they drop a sequel, nothing will surpass this. Blackstar, please keep shining!

StoneColdSlugger
January 16th, 2003, 12:28 AM
Charli B is the worst female rapper I've ever heard :\
:lol:

QuietStorm
January 16th, 2003, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Webbicho
But what makes all this work is that Def and Kweli complement each other perfectly - there is no mismatching, no “who’s that rapping?”, no mix ups as in other partnerships like Mobb Deep. It is, quite simply, brilliant. [/B]

I never had a problem distinguishing between Prodigy and Havoc. I think they both have too unique voices. And Prodigy has got to have the coolest voice ever in rap. At least until he fell off and tried to sound harder than he had any business doing on Infamy. Great review though.

Brennino
January 17th, 2003, 10:20 AM
Whats the point in posting the reviews of other sites?

Webbicho
January 17th, 2003, 12:45 PM
Because.

Its a good review

May or may not start conversation. And if you're stumped for a good album to download it might help.

Whats the point of writing your own when some other cunt says it 20 times better?

Simon
January 17th, 2003, 1:02 PM
I see what Brennan is saying though Webbicho...the point of this place is to get reviews from people who are unbiased, and because you correspond with people more often on here than with the reviewers on RapReviews or wherever...I mean, for example, if Brennan was to say 'hey man this album is great so it is' then I'm more trusting of his opinion, based on previous experience, than the guy on another site who I've never spoken to before. Personally I'd prefer reviews only by people on the boards, but that said, I've no problem with posting outsider reviews as long as you make it obvious that it's not your work.

Simon
January 17th, 2003, 4:29 PM
Nas - It Was Written

Album Intro - sucks. i h8 skits and intros 4 life.

The Message - BEATS BEATS BEATS. The beat is just instantly recognisable as Nas, for me...beautifully chilled, which is a good thing even moreso than usual, as it allows for the lyrics to take the foreground. A very socially-conscious song, with a variety of themes from terrorism to lost friends...nice. Nas is, as always, on point. Great beat + great lyrics + great flow = great song.

Street Dreams - Where the Nas/2pac controversy began. Pac says Nas was stealing his style, and this is one of the few pieces of genuine evidence of it - the beat is the same as 2pac's 'All Eyez On Me'. Personally, I think Nas does a far better job, as Pac's lyrics were off on his song (which was weird, seeing as it was the title track of the first ever double-disc of hip-hop - see Brennino's review of 'All Eyez On Me'). Nas rips up the mic as per usual, and there's little else to say...this is a great song about life on the streets. Nice.

***1/2

I Gave You Power - Well, they say that genius is on the borderline of idiocy, and cool is on the borderline of uncool - this song crosses the borderline of chilled and into boring. Dull and repetitive beat couples with Nas' somewhat off-form but still decent lyrics. His unusually hyped delivery is a nice change and in a way saves the song, as hearing Nas try a different style diverts you from the dull beat. Almost. Utterly shocked that Premier produced this crappy beat. This is an average song. For Nas, average is very poor.

*1/2

Watch Dem Niggaz - Filler, IMO. Not terrible, but immediately forgettable. 'Don't mess with me, or you'll die, etc, etc'. Usual gangsta stuff, though Nas unsurprisingly drops better than the majority of his peers rapping about the same stuff.

**1/2

Take It In Blood - Excellent performance by Nas and another nice, chilled beat make for a great song. However, the sample on the chorus sucks a giant ass, and Nas' lyrics are somewhat juvenile at times (something about a butthole :wtf:...). I'll make one point right now - some of the beats early in this album sound a little samey :\

Nas Is Coming - Nice beat, great flow, samey lyrics again. Disappointing.

Affirmative Action - Nice lazy Spanish guitar on the beat and AZ and Nas rip it up. I really hope AZ is there when I SEE NAS AT ASTORIA ON FEBRUARY 5TH! :). One of the better songs on the album. Nas is the star, unsurprisingly.

***1/2

Set Up - Dull beat, saved by Nas' supreme ability to RAP. The guy is just incredible. Lucky really, this album would probably begin to linger around this point if Nas didn't constantly draw you back in just when your finger is on the off button.

Black Girl Lost - One of the few uses of a decent chorus on the album...I guess it's not Nas' style to have too many commercial sounding tracks on one album. One of the more meaningful songs on the album, about women's struggle and how they can fight back. The beat is lazy but in a good way, and Nas is class, even by his own high standards. Greatness.

Suspects - Blah, basically. Not a fan of this whatsoever. BLAH I SAYS.

*1/2

Shootouts - Amazing how two beats can sound so similar, yet one can sound infinitely better than the other. I ALWAYS get the beginnings of this and Set Up confused. Until the piano loop drops, and I just say "GOOD", because this simply craps all over Set Up. The guest appearances suck on this album, where they rule on Set Up and Affirmative Action, but this time the beat saves the artist, where more often than not it's the artist Nas saving a poor beat.

Live Nigga Rap - Great stuff. After a couple of average songs, this brings Nas' ability to your attention. Quality. Beat is cool as well. When you get a nice beat and Nas is on form, and put them together, you get a classic song...it's not hard to get. Pity it happens elss often on this album than it does on Stillmatic, Illmatic or God's Son.

***1/2

If I Ruled The World - Saved the best til last. Everyone knows this song. I already said that great beat, great lyrics plus great delivery = great song...add Lauryn Hill into the mix and you have a genuine classic. The piano roll, the chorus, the ill-as-all-hell delivery...beautiful. Uplifting, inspirational song as well. This is what all hip-hop should be, and what all respectable hip-hop artists aspire to be. That this song can appeal to the clubbers as well as hip-hop heads and fans of simple fantastic lyrics shows it's quality. Great ending to the album, this song could, IMO, grace any album in the world and not look out of place. I'll end this review by saying that, in terms of hip-hop, Nas DOES rule the world at the moment.

****1/2

The great beginning and ending to this album belie the dull patch in the middle, but I'm reviewing this as a fan of Nas. An objective opinion would probably make me consider this a fantastic album, but when compared to Illmatic and his two most recent releases, it's a little behind. Put it this way, this is an album of superb beats, impeccable delivery and on-point lyrics. But he can do better.

7/10

Suno
January 17th, 2003, 4:36 PM
One and a half stars for I gave you power?!?

Thats a classic dammit!

:nono:

Kris P. Lettus
January 17th, 2003, 5:38 PM
Originally posted by UMDeepTerp
Talib Kweli "Quality"

1. Keynote Speaker

Dave Chapelle introduces Talib Kweli in his usual hilarious self. Pretty good intro I guess with the highlight being Chapelle calling Talib a "3-time Nobel Peace Prize Winner"

"tha nigga that made the Nike Swoosh..."

Webbicho
January 18th, 2003, 12:03 AM
Nas - It Was Written

Album Intro - sucks. i h8 skits and intros 4 life.

The Message - BEATS BEATS BEATS. The beat is just instantly recognisable as Nas, for me...beautifully chilled, which is a good thing even moreso than usual, as it allows for the lyrics to take the foreground. A very socially-conscious song, with a variety of themes from terrorism to lost friends...nice. Nas is, as always, on point. Great beat + great lyrics + great flow = great song.

True great beat mad story. This actually pissed off Tupac, he thought the 'fake thug' shit was directed at him and he thought when Nas was talking about checking himself out of the hospitial was Nas trying to lie that he did what Tupac did. Nas claims he was doing this story as a tribute to his friend that it happened to.

Street Dreams - Where the Nas/2pac controversy began. Pac says Nas was stealing his style, and this is one of the few pieces of genuine evidence of it - the beat is the same as 2pac's 'All Eyez On Me'. Personally, I think Nas does a far better job, as Pac's lyrics were off on his song (which was weird, seeing as it was the title track of the first ever double-disc of hip-hop - see Brennino's review of 'All Eyez On Me'). Nas rips up the mic as per usual, and there's little else to say...this is a great song about life on the streets. Nice.

***1/2

This is a good song, the last verse in one of his most remixed verse along with blaze a 50 and nastradamus(sp?). I was under the impression the death row camp gave him rights to use the beat, only coz later in the album he talks about 'n**** is stealing beats and shit' I might be wrong tho... Nas is often first to contradict himself... good thing he can rap :yes:

I Gave You Power - Well, they say that genius is on the borderline of idiocy, and cool is on the borderline of uncool - this song crosses the borderline of chilled and into boring. Dull and repetitive beat couples with Nas' somewhat off-form but still decent lyrics. His unusually hyped delivery is a nice change and in a way saves the song, as hearing Nas try a different style diverts you from the dull beat. Almost. Utterly shocked that Premier produced this crappy beat. This is an average song. For Nas, average is very poor.

*1/2

Na. Its a mad premo beat, and the lyrics are on point. Nas talks about his life as a gun and how he has little control over his life. He even talks about when he gets fed up, jams, his owner dies and the someone else picks him over. Very very good song. GRIMEY

4 mics

Watch Dem Niggaz - Filler, IMO. Not terrible, but immediately forgettable. 'Don't mess with me, or you'll die, etc, etc'. Usual gangsta stuff, though Nas unsurprisingly drops better than the majority of his peers rapping about the same stuff.

**1/2

I agree I guess

Take It In Blood - Excellent performance by Nas and another nice, chilled beat make for a great song. However, the sample on the chorus sucks a giant ass, and Nas' lyrics are somewhat juvenile at times (something about a butthole :wtf:...). I'll make one point right now - some of the beats early in this album sound a little samey :\

Classic song, mad beat, great lyrics - the chorus rules ( i made it like that i want it like that I live it like that.... for... you wack emcees) Very catchy, and alot of creative lyrics. I disagree that the beats are sounding the same - message street dream I gave you power, all of those songs have a definite beat... not simalar at all

Nas Is Coming - Nice beat, great flow, samey lyrics again. Disappointing.

Agreed. Nas should stay off dre beats.

Affirmative Action - Nice lazy Spanish guitar on the beat and AZ and Nas rip it up. I really hope AZ is there when I SEE NAS AT ASTORIA ON FEBRUARY 5TH! :). One of the better songs on the album. Nas is the star, unsurprisingly.

***1/2

I dunno if Nas is the star.. he has the shortest verse. Mega and AZ rip it up and Foxy drops a good verse for her. Nas's verse it great too (refrains from writing the lyrics) Probably the best firm song...bar maybe phone tap

Suspects - Blah, basically. Not a fan of this whatsoever. BLAH I SAYS.

*1/2

Classic song, cant belive you dont like it, I've been trying the last little while to find a program to turn the bass up. The beat is mad the story is mad.

3 1/2

Shootouts - Amazing how two beats can sound so similar, yet one can sound infinitely better than the other. I ALWAYS get the beginnings of this and Set Up confused. Until the piano loop drops, and I just say "GOOD", because this simply craps all over Set Up. The guest appearances suck on this album, where they rule on Set Up and Affirmative Action, but this time the beat saves the artist, where more often than not it's the artist Nas saving a poor beat.

Theres only about 3 lines in that songs that aren't Nas, and they work well. I want to hear Tony Starks and Raekwon on this beat coz they would tear shit up. I don't think the beat saves him it just complements Nas as Nas does the beat. Which is a great FTR.

Live Nigga Rap - Great stuff. After a couple of average songs, this brings Nas' ability to your attention. Quality. Beat is cool as well. When you get a nice beat and Nas is on form, and put them together, you get a classic song...it's not hard to get. Pity it happens elss often on this album than it does on Stillmatic, Illmatic or God's Son.

***1/2

Dude the last couple of songs ruled. :wtf: are you on about? I really disagree man, this album is better than stillmatic easy in my opinion. And most of the songs have been classic east coast bangers. I agree its a good song, but its behind I gave you power and others.

If I Ruled The World - Saved the best til last. Everyone knows this song. I already said that great beat, great lyrics plus great delivery = great song...add Lauryn Hill into the mix and you have a genuine classic. The piano roll, the chorus, the ill-as-all-hell delivery...beautiful. Uplifting, inspirational song as well. This is what all hip-hop should be, and what all respectable hip-hop artists aspire to be. That this song can appeal to the clubbers as well as hip-hop heads and fans of simple fantastic lyrics shows it's quality. Great ending to the album, this song could, IMO, grace any album in the world and not look out of place. I'll end this review by saying that, in terms of hip-hop, Nas DOES rule the world at the moment.

****1/2

Hear the song - NOW. 'trips to paris I civilised every savage' etc Classic song with incredible lyrics. Read above.

The great beginning and ending to this album belie the dull patch in the middle, but I'm reviewing this as a fan of Nas. An objective opinion would probably make me consider this a fantastic album, but when compared to Illmatic and his two most recent releases, it's a little behind. Put it this way, this is an album of superb beats, impeccable delivery and on-point lyrics. But he can do better.

7/10

This is his third best - after illmatic and godson, Classic album to drop when he did.

4 and 1/3 mics Classic.

QuietStorm
January 18th, 2003, 1:23 AM
Well, I still believe that I Am... is his 2nd best album after Illmatic with Stillmatic and God's Son a close third and fourth. I Am... just offered everything he had to give in my opinion.

Webbicho
January 18th, 2003, 2:19 AM
Its good isn't it

We will survive, ghetto prisoners, nas is like, dr knockboot, NY state of mind 2, small world, favor for a favor

I dont skip tracks on It was written, but I skip a couple on I am sometimes. :shrug: Its hard for any music to be "better" coz its all about moods. Sometimes you dont want to hear something lyrical....

Webbicho
January 18th, 2003, 2:21 AM
Coming soon....

J-live - All of the above

Quite possibly going to be a copy paste review :)

Stay tuned

Webbicho
January 18th, 2003, 4:04 AM
I see what Brennan is saying though Webbicho...the point of this place is to get reviews from people who are unbiased, and because you correspond with people more often on here than with the reviewers on RapReviews or wherever...I mean, for example, if Brennan was to say 'hey man this album is great so it is' then I'm more trusting of his opinion, based on previous experience, than the guy on another site who I've never spoken to before. Personally I'd prefer reviews only by people on the boards, but that said, I've no problem with posting outsider reviews as long as you make it obvious that it's not your work.

rapreviews.com suck

They gave Blueprint 2 the second best album of 2002... :wtf:

QuietStorm
January 18th, 2003, 5:22 AM
rapreviews.com suck

Exactly. A lot of their top 15 sucked in my opinion. And where in the blue hell was Canibus???

Webbicho
January 18th, 2003, 5:49 AM
I think allhiphop.com gave him top underground artist of the year, I'm checking it now... computer is going slow but

Suno
January 18th, 2003, 2:07 PM
I got All Of The Above by J-Live, tight fucking album, I may do a review as wel just to compare :)

Webbicho
January 18th, 2003, 2:24 PM
:yes:

I'm a rapper. :D

You say tight album, hell yeh I agree man where the fuck did j live come from? I heard one song on a mix tape like a month ago and im like fuuuck. Now I'm 14 songs through downloading his lp.

Lots of nice new rappers popping up lately

/me is going to feel like a newjack if j live is old

Simon
January 18th, 2003, 3:23 PM
J Live is funny as hell. I'm pretty sure he's newish, been around (in the public/internet eye) for about a year or so.

You know what, I may be talking about J Zone :\ I'm talking about the guy who did the song about 'Presidential America' or something.

Simon
January 18th, 2003, 3:27 PM
Yer, J Zone :$

Suno
January 18th, 2003, 5:37 PM
J Zone's a beast of an underground MC, quality, whats the name of that song by him....

fuck I can't remember, proper badass song with some mad vocal sample in, arrrgh, The Trojan War or something. :\

Brennino
January 19th, 2003, 8:58 AM
rapreviews.com suck

I think Steve 'Flash' Joan (sp?) knows his hip-hop and 90% of his reviews are fairly accurate.

Simon
January 19th, 2003, 12:30 PM
DJ Fatboy is best :D

Webbicho
January 19th, 2003, 12:46 PM
I think Steve 'Flash' Joan (sp?) knows his hip-hop and 90% of his reviews are fairly accurate.

I listen to hiphop not critics. Thus I dont remember names of reviewers and shit. I'm sure theres more than one reviewer at rapreviews. But if he's the dude in charge of giving blueprint number 2 album of 2002, I ain't taking his word.

And because the website as a whole went on record and gave jigga 2nd, I say fuck it on a whole.

Simon
January 19th, 2003, 1:15 PM
You realise that Blueprint actually rules? I mean, I don't rate Jay Z at all, but that album is class...have you heard all of it? If he'd taken the best of each CD and put it onto one CD, it would be a true classic hip-hop album.

Brennino
January 19th, 2003, 4:34 PM
I listen to hiphop not critics. Thus I dont remember names of reviewers and shit. I'm sure theres more than one reviewer at rapreviews. But if he's the dude in charge of giving blueprint number 2 album of 2002, I ain't taking his word.

And because the website as a whole went on record and gave jigga 2nd, I say fuck it on a whole.

There is more than one reviewer at rapreviews.com, but he is the main one. Like I said, I think it is a fairly accurate website where they give good reviews, because I actually use their reviews as an actual guide as to what is next on my buy list does not make me any less of a hip hop fan than yourself.

Suno
January 19th, 2003, 4:53 PM
Yeh rapreviews is good, I use most of their shit as a guidline to my purchase's

Webbicho
January 20th, 2003, 1:03 AM
You realise that Blueprint actually rules? I mean, I don't rate Jay Z at all, but that album is class...have you heard all of it? If he'd taken the best of each CD and put it onto one CD, it would be a true classic hip-hop album.

dude, I said Blueprint 2, the gift and the curse

I forgot to write the 2 in my second post, but if you were paying attention you would have known I was talking about the second one. Blueprint 2 is NOT all class.

There is more than one reviewer at rapreviews.com, but he is the main one. Like I said, I think it is a fairly accurate website where they give good reviews, because I actually use their reviews as an actual guide as to what is next on my buy list does not make me any less of a hip hop fan than yourself.

Did I say it made you less of shit? I personally read four or five different reviews before I buy a cd I'm not sure about. I read a review the other day that gave disposable arts by Masta Ace 2/5. :eek: Good reason to read around.

So like I said: Because the website as a whole went on record and gave jigga 2nd(for the gift and the curse), I say fuck it on a whole.

That might not be justified. Oh well.

Lets go back a bit.

Rapreviews is shit

Brennino said

Good for you.

Simon
January 20th, 2003, 5:19 AM
I was talking about Blueprint 2.

Brennino
January 22nd, 2003, 9:06 AM
I wonder what brought you into the rap review thread.

Sad cunts.

The fact is, you are willing to simply dismiss a site based on one decision of ranking Blueprint 2 a good album... a widespread popular agreement amongst rap fans (although not myself). That in itself is sad.

Simon
January 22nd, 2003, 10:05 AM
The only problem I have with RapReviews is that they haven't reviews DJ Shadow's 'Endtroducing'. I was planning on reviewing it myself and sending it to them, but I can't really be arsed...and it's really hard to evaluate an album which is solely beats and no lyrics :\

Webbicho
January 22nd, 2003, 10:05 AM
The fact is, you are willing to simply dismiss a site based on one decision of ranking Blueprint 2 a good album... a widespread popular agreement amongst rap fans (although not myself). That in itself is sad.

They ranked it the 2nd best album of 2002. Thats not just saying it is a good album. Because they did that I wrote the website off, that is true.

But the fact is I acknowledged that was unjustified.

Webbicho
January 22nd, 2003, 3:13 PM
Meanwhile...

Tash: Rap life Question. Does anyone know if the cd version of 'g'z is g'z' is the one with just him and Kurrupt? Or is it meant to be the one with Snoop and Xzibit too?

Hack
January 23rd, 2003, 2:10 AM
Talib Kweli "Quality"

1. Keynote Speaker

Great intro, but not as cool as Chapelle's work on Reflection Eternal. Something about Nelson Mandela saying he digs Kweli like that just cracks me up.

Oh, and I gotta go with "Gun Music" as my favorite on this album...I'm really digging it lately, for some reason.

Just thought I'd reply...I've been keeping track of this thread, seeing that I've been going through major hip-hop phase (mostly Wu-Tang, GZA, Nas, Black Star, J5, etc) lately ... so keep reviewing albums, you crazy kids.

That's all I got...take it easy.

Adamy
January 23rd, 2003, 2:40 AM
:eek:

Webbicho
January 23rd, 2003, 3:52 AM
Go hack!

Brennino
January 23rd, 2003, 9:07 PM
Did you miss the part where he said take it to PMs?

SpiritualBlackDimensions
January 23rd, 2003, 10:59 PM

fuck I can't remember, proper badass song with some mad vocal sample in, arrrgh, The Trojan War or something. :\

The one about STD's or whatever? yeah, it's trojan war. Inauguration day is pretty good too, if you never heard it.

Simon
January 24th, 2003, 6:01 AM
Right, cleared up. No more bullshit, lads (and lasses, wherever they are :\)

spanish announce table
January 25th, 2003, 4:43 PM
the new roots album is probably the best release this year. they experiment with a lot of different influences and they only did it with one MC this time.

*waits for gang starr's album to drop*

QuietStorm
January 26th, 2003, 1:47 AM
I would have to respectfully disagree with the spanish announce table. But that is because personally I like Malik B more than Black Thought and hopefully he will come back strong on the next album. I still did love this album though and all the different stuff they did with it. Canibus' MiClub: The Curriculum is still my favorite release but remember I have a very jaded opinion. After that, I'd say either God's Son or Daz Dillinger's "This is the Life I Lead" (also a jaded opinion).

QuietStorm
January 28th, 2003, 5:40 PM
I just got the entire retail version of 50 Cent's "Get Rich Or Die Tryin" if anyone is interested. I might give a brief synopsis of it sometime tomorrow or the next day if I feel it is worthy of it.

Suno
January 28th, 2003, 6:53 PM
U d/l that shit?

QuietStorm
January 28th, 2003, 7:38 PM
Yeah it just leaked today. You could probably get it off of MIRC or Hip Hop Jukebox. Or you could follow the law and buy it. :)

Simon
January 29th, 2003, 6:04 AM
It's not out here for ages...got a tracklist I could download from?

spanish announce table
January 30th, 2003, 3:38 PM
I would have to respectfully disagree with the spanish announce table. But that is because personally I like Malik B more than Black Thought and hopefully he will come back strong on the next album. I still did love this album though and all the different stuff they did with it. Canibus' MiClub: The Curriculum is still my favorite release but remember I have a very jaded opinion. After that, I'd say either God's Son or Daz Dillinger's "This is the Life I Lead" (also a jaded opinion).

yeah, the album was missing Malik B, but it didnt show too much. Thought, it sounds like, worked harder to try and cover up any weaknesses

Flow
January 31st, 2003, 3:00 PM
It's not out here for ages...got a tracklist I could download from?

I dunno if they got it, but I get all ma tracklists from

http://www.gracenote.com/

Webbicho
February 1st, 2003, 3:28 AM
I go to Amazon.com... they have playlists, album covers, and teasers.

But I never buy shit :yes:

Simon
February 1st, 2003, 9:25 AM
Me too :D

Ronald McDonald
February 2nd, 2003, 10:36 PM
Mr. Lil One - The 13th Skorn

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005LOPC.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

One more underground mexican rapper. This guy Mr. Lil One is a hot rapper. he drops hot shit with hot lyrics and beats. This is an odd CDif you like dark, evil rap. MR. Lil One has a f-ing hot style. He has a couple CD's out Karma, Condolences, Voices, The 13th Skorn, The Sickos. Karma is a dammn hot cd. But thats for another review (probably).

Mr. Lil one is another rapper out of San Diego repping what he calls the "Triple Six One Nine" Of course all of you guys know what the 619 is thanks to Rey Mysterio. But Lil one has been reppin it for a long time showing by his Discoghrapy you can see.
Anyways The Skorn is an awesome CD that has dark evil rap. Lil one has a style most will like. I know with the proper exposure and aybe toning down some of his stuuf he could be big. But most people shoould check this out. If you're outside the U.S just download the whole CD. Why not.

1. Suppose To - A great intro track with a hot evilish kind of beat that goes along with his dark lyrics. This shows you what to expect on this CD.
2. Loddy Doddy - He likes to party pretty simple beat with an evil sounding effects. Pretty tight. His evil lyrics come into effect in this one
3. Feeling - This one starts of with some Ministry Undertaker type talking Devil chanting (but talking so to speak). Which should pretty much tell you about this guy. He talks about how evil he is. OOOOOOhhhh spooky. Hot beat hot song.
4. Voices 2 - Sequel to the song Voices. The chorus aint great but the lyrics are sick as fuck if you're into evil shit. ( Gameover to begin liking rap?) Check out the first Voices for some eeeeeeeeeevvvvvvillllllll shit. After all this song is about the "Voices" in his head.
5. Bomb Threat - Ronald don't like that much.
6. All my Love - Alright beat with a Paris type evil beat :\. To his fans. He raps fast in this song. I prefer the other Lil One style.
7. Dead- I like this song "he wants you dead" basis of this song. Featuring some other guy. Hot beat. Basicilly you'll be tallking shit but not to his face but he'll hear your ass talking in your sleep. Ooooooh Spooky.
8. Stay With Me - A song to a female. Hot Lyrics Decent beat. "Stay with me never leave, Stay with me help my breathe, Stay with me help me be the best of a man tha I can be"
9. Don't Sleep - Fuck these Ho's is the basis of the song. It samples some song but I forgot which one. This song is a transition from evil to ho songs. Well actually 8 was. But anyways.
Alright song.
10. Nicklebags - This song should be any so called "players" anthem. Tlks about what a Nicklebag is. ME and my homies always use this word to describe well, a Nicklebag. Check it out. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT Song.
Different from his typical style though.
11. Lipstick - Another song to "bitches" and "hos". What the fuck was he thinking.
12. Lets Ride - Don't like.
13. Dago - Lets show you how we do this in Dago..... er .... San Diego. Hot song kind of dark but not.

Well now that I'm done reviewing each and every song. Only 13. :wtf:. I'll tell you 9 out of those 13 songs are pretty good to excellent. 2 of the other 4 are alright. the other 2 is :wtf: was he thinking. This CD is dark but not as dark as Voices or Karma or an of his other CD's for that matter. It's still a hot CD. Just his other stuff is darker. Maybe he is beginning the transition to maistream. I really like this CD. If you're not in a place where you can "BUY" this CD Download it. You WILL like it, or at least some of it if your into to dark stuff.

7.5/10

EL-ASSO-WIPO
February 7th, 2003, 3:44 AM
I went to buy 50 cent's cd today and fuckin thing was SOLD OUT Everywhere I went. This guy is blowing up already. I have never went to buy a cd and found it to be sold out. This is insane.

16x
February 7th, 2003, 10:44 AM
i got 50 cent new album, it comes with a documentary on dvd, its like an hour long, oh yeah, good album

QuietStorm
February 7th, 2003, 5:40 PM
Personally I think the album is decent and has some good tracks for the clubs and such. But it did not live up to the hype or Dre saying it would be a guaranteed classic. Yeah the beats are arguably better but his lyrics have way watered down. Power of the Dollar and Guess Who's Back are much better albums IMO.

Suno
February 7th, 2003, 6:07 PM
Nobody likes me....

Nobdy like me but thats OK, cos I dont like y'all anyway, FUCK ALL YALL!!!!

MURRRRDERRRR!!!!! I dont believe you! MURRRRDERRR!!!! Fuck around and leave ya!!! MURRRDERRRR!!!! I Dont Believe you! MURDER! MURDER! YA LIFES ON THE LINE!!

Guess Whos Backs the muts, im still gonna cop this shit though...

DGAF
February 10th, 2003, 1:39 PM
i also had a problem finding "Get rich or die tryin" :)

first i went over to Sam Goody. where it was sold out, then i tried Coconuts..where they only had the album without the DVD :(..but i ended up gettin it anyway

BTW..anyone else feelin the trakks "What up gangsta" &
"Back Down"?!?

GGG-UNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fro
February 10th, 2003, 10:12 PM
Picked up the new 50 Cent a few days ago, so here's a quick review.

The album is definetly hot, with production being its strongest point. Dre and Em lay down some good beats, and the tracks with other producers are also tight. However, 50 is not a really great rapper, but he does have a smooth flow and comes with pretty dope (although simple) lyrics. Favorite tracks: Many Men, 21 Questions, Patiently Waiting, Back Down.

Overall score: 8/10

Flow
February 16th, 2003, 2:52 PM
I downloaded God's Son today, quick review...

Good album, it's certainly different from Stillmatic. "The Cross" and "Dance" are both just great songs; I prefer 2Pac's version of "Thugz Mansion" from Better Dayz to Nas' remix but it's still a good songs. I think there are a couple of songs on there that aren't "all that", but with tracks like "Heaven" and "I Can" in there as well it's an album well worth buying or getting the cheap way.

8.5/10

spanish announce table
February 16th, 2003, 6:14 PM
does anyone have the release dates for Killer Mike or Freeway?

Hack
February 16th, 2003, 6:59 PM
Monster comes out March 11th

EL-ASSO-WIPO
February 16th, 2003, 7:34 PM
50 cent's album was good. Solid all the way through. I like "pimp" and "in da club". ( ya, its all over the freakin radio, but I still like it). I was however disappointed in 50's lyrical ability. I thought this guy had more flare and better flows. Don't get me wrong, 50 cent is a tight ass rapper, I just expected more. Anyway, this album is great nonetheless. Great producing. IM pissed my cd didnt come with the dvd!

Flow
February 16th, 2003, 10:05 PM
His style and shit's been "watered down" though... you checked out 50 Cent is the future or Guess Who's Back or Power of the Dollar? All three before he hit "mainstream" and joined Shady/Aftermath.

Shogun
February 17th, 2003, 7:41 PM
nah 50 cent album is tight,
Dru hills new album is a bit samey all the way through but still quality

spanish announce table
February 18th, 2003, 6:03 PM
has anyone heard the new canibus "my name is nobody"? i've been hearing mixed reviews for it. thanks for the release date, Hack

QuietStorm
February 19th, 2003, 12:14 AM
Yeah I have heard all of "My Name Is Nobody" being the diehard Canibus fan that I am. All of the tracks were mainly recorded around the time of True Hollywood Stories but many are them are better than the majority of the stuff on there. I also believe that a few were held off because they would have been a little too good for CTHS and Canibus was attempting to make a crappy album that makes fun of the mainstream.

1. Intro

The deepest words Canibus has ever spoken in my opinion. It just makes you go wow.

2. My Name Is Nobody

Good track where he plays the part of nobody/a nobody who never made it in the rap business.

3. Stupid Producers

The kind of track you will probably only want to listen to a couple, few times at most but I am pretty sure the first time you listen to it you will be laughing your ass off.

4. The Dungeon ft. Kurupt

All of these verses have been on various freestyles or in Kurupt's case, album songs before so nothing new is heard but the "Who Owns You" beat is hot and Kurupt's verses although typical scratch-your-head verses from him are ones that tore up the mic.

5. U Know Who

I don't really like this song all that much. The chorus is annoying and whoever the guest is on the song pretty much sucks even though Bis probably wrote his stuff. The verse Canibus spits is definitely battle-worthy though.

6. Broke Ass

Funny ass song. Enough said. Great club track. Definitely not typical Canibus. And you know he is still making fun of club songs with it.

7. Get Off Ya Knees

This song would be loved in my opinion if it got any radio play. The most fan-friendly on the mixtape by far.

8. Who Stopped Ya

I like the piano-laced beat. The feel of the song is nothing greater than ordinary. But I have heard a lot of people who liked it.

9. My Home Atlanta

He makes fun of down-south rap to the fullest even though it is on the outskirts of Atlanta where he lives now. He definitely hasn't perfected his dirty south style but I don't think he wanted it to sound that good anyways. Track sucks but worth listening to anyways.

10. Rip Is Alive

Rip the Jacker rips up this track for 2 plus minutes. Straight heat.

11. Outro

Some British professor from the University of Kansas prepares us for the return of Rip the Jacker in the next Canibus album. That one is going to be Canibus' best one ever I think with Stoupe the Enemy of Mankind on production.

spanish announce table
February 19th, 2003, 11:34 AM
sounds pretty good. i'll have to look out for more canibus stuff

Lysa
February 21st, 2003, 8:31 AM
Originally posted by Shogun
nah 50 cent album is tight,
Dru hills new album is a bit samey all the way through but still quality

You know what pissed me off about the whole Dru Hill thing. Why did they need to add that new guy? You still cant hear anything any of them are singing except Sisqo (sp?), so what the hell was the new guy there for? And he doesnt even look like he belongs in that group either. He just doesn't fit in :\

One of my favorite albums that just recently came out was Missy's Under Construction album. That album is A+. Almost every song is hot. I give it a 8 out of 10.

Suno
February 21st, 2003, 11:11 AM
Lysa you're a retard...

All the members in Dru Hill have similar voices, thats why they're harmonies are so tight, and it isnt hard to define Sisqo from the others, they all have their fair share of solos....

A+ = 8/10, surely A+ would be 10/10? Missy is a piece of shit anyway, she aint creative for shit, Timbaland just laces her with tight cuts and she just spews some inane drivle over em, fuck missy....

Ronald McDonald
February 22nd, 2003, 11:55 PM
"My Name Is Nobody" Canibus
2. My Name Is Nobody

Good track where he plays the part of nobody/a nobody who never made it in the rap business.

I don't think he's playing :lol:

Suno
February 23rd, 2003, 1:24 PM
Originally posted by Ronald McDonald

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

QWALITY!!!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Prince XL
February 23rd, 2003, 1:39 PM

A+ = 8/10, surely A+ would be 10/10? Missy is a piece of shit anyway, she aint creative for shit, Timbaland just laces her with tight cuts and she just spews some inane drivle over em, fuck missy....

Must disagree. The Album is hot production-wise(any Hip hop Dj should definately pick it up on Vynal). True that Missy is nothing more than an average MC lyrically but she she is creative and has nice delivery.

The album isn't/will never be a classic and probably has a shelf life of about 6 months(as with all Missy CDs :blah: ) but its cool. Lots of nice tracks to stick on in parties/clubs and shit.

Originally posted by Flow
His style and shit's been "watered down" though... you checked out 50 Cent is the future or Guess Who's Back or Power of the Dollar? All three before he hit "mainstream" and joined Shady/Aftermath.

I personally think that's bollocks.

Ok. He's signed to a mainstream label but his style is still as raw as Guess who's back. I dont know where you got that 'watered down' nonsense from.

Suno
February 23rd, 2003, 1:47 PM
Fuck Missy, Creative? Elaborate please, all i hear is how 'creative' missy is, just going by the two singles, Work it, my god, the beat is ill but I can't stand to listen to it for Missy just ruins thats shit, she is so awful on the mic, a disgrace, mind you, I tolerate the second cut, tight beat, and Luda rescues it...

Maybe I just dont understand her? Maybe, I still think she is talnetless trash, Missy belly-iot!

Prince XL
February 23rd, 2003, 1:54 PM

Missy belly-iot!

:rofl:

Actually, she's lost quite a bit of weight and I probably would :yes:

But then again, I have no standards :ashamed:

QuietStorm
February 23rd, 2003, 11:43 PM

Well no shit Sherlock, that was kind of the point. Listen to the intro and you will educate yourself. Of course he is talking about himself. He knows he is a nobody.

spanish announce table
February 26th, 2003, 11:38 AM
yeah, i dont see how missy is so innovative and creative. all she does is blather some non-sensical crap that makes no sense and wastes good timbaland beats

Simon
February 26th, 2003, 11:44 AM
I'm not into Missy at all, but her album has a couple of really good beats.

Also, I bought 50 Cent's album yesterday...I'll review when I've listened to it a little more, but initial judgement:

Very disappointing. Poor production, poor lyrics, dull album.

Suno
February 26th, 2003, 12:55 PM
Word HBK23, thats what I'm saying!

Simon
February 27th, 2003, 10:16 AM
It's growing on me a little but still I don't think it's that good.

Many Men is the best track.

In Da Club = most annoying hip hop song in years. Awful, awful, shite.

spanish announce table
February 28th, 2003, 11:02 AM
i dont understand the hype around 50 cent either. his rhyming ability is subpar, and his voice can get boring at times.from what ive heard so far, his album hasnt been that good

Sabrina
March 2nd, 2003, 2:19 PM
I like the song In Da Club. In the video it doesn't looks like he's moving his mouth at all and it looks weird.

The track after it has a good beat IMO but other than those two songs, I don't like the other ones.

I've been listening to Trina for the past few days. :heart: WinMX and my CD burner. (got a laptop and can finally make my own CDs)

bobster
March 2nd, 2003, 4:24 PM
I see the obligatory "Lets all slag off a rapper who has been picked up by the mainstream audience as it will make us sound like we know more about hip hop than others" comments have begun on here regarding 50 cent. :rollyeyesman:

I'll be doing a review of Electric Circus by Common this week.

Raw Is Jonathan
March 2nd, 2003, 8:07 PM
CUNT!

Simon
March 3rd, 2003, 5:06 AM
Na Bob, the album is just weak :\

Ronald McDonald
March 3rd, 2003, 9:14 PM
I hate "What Up Gangsta". God that's a horrible song.

TheRight_Angle
March 4th, 2003, 10:40 AM
50 cents album is pretty good.

Different style of rapping. His other albums before are way better.

Prince XL
March 6th, 2003, 1:28 PM
Originally posted by bobster
I see the obligatory "Lets all slag off a rapper who has been picked up by the mainstream audience as it will make us sound like we know more about hip hop than others" comments have begun on here regarding 50 cent. :rollyeyesman:

bob, you've just summed up 99% of so-called online rap "experts" on the internet. I'd like to think that a lot of people's opinions are subjective but i'm more inclined to think its just a case of jumping on the bandwaggon.

jesus sucks
March 6th, 2003, 2:13 PM
50 Cent is a very good rapper but not on this album. I'd give it a 6/10. there are a few good songs and two excellent one's High all the Time and P.I.M.P they were worth gettin the album for.

Heat is the worst beat Dr Dre's ever done.

Simon
March 7th, 2003, 8:06 AM
The album is still growing on me...I like it better with every listen.

Many Men = best song on it.

Nice Guy Eddie
March 7th, 2003, 4:33 PM
I :heart: this album; it's tight. My favorite tracks on the 50 Cent album:

High All the Time- My new personal anthem; it just suits me. :D-~

Many Men- great beat; great rhymes.

Back Down- Awsome beat; and I fuckin' hate Ja Rule, so I :heart: the diss.

Patiently Waiting- Beat's tight and both 50's and Em's rhymes were tight.

21 Questions- Nate Dogg just has that power to make any song just so much sweeter.

Like My Style- Yayo is a tight rapper; FREE YAYO! (I want one of those shirts; it has a double meaning. :D )

Don't Push Me- Best Em rhymes of the album; add 50 and Banks and you have a superb track.

In Da Club is a decent song, but FUCK it's played out..."I got the X if you into takin' drugs"...if they only played that part on the radio...meh :\

Anyways.....I'll score 9/10. I really liked it. :yes:

QuietStorm
March 7th, 2003, 4:53 PM
I think Fabolous' new album is better than 50 Cent's and I don't like Fabolous at all. So take that for what it is worth.

jesus sucks
March 8th, 2003, 9:29 PM
I liked Many Men best at first, its great. But High all the time and P.I.M.P r still the ones i listen to most. Its not a classic album tho, Outkast's double CD will be.

bobster
March 9th, 2003, 9:00 AM
50 cent is a legend. Who else can rap without opening their mouth?

LEGEND

Simon
March 10th, 2003, 8:28 AM
Nas - Stillmatic

Finally got this album last week after an age trying to get hold of it...it was sold out in like 8 different shops, and the one shop that did have it (HMV) wanted £21.99 for it on import (it had three tracks from 'The Lost Tapes' on the bonus CD). Finally MVC got it back in stock, and I have it in my collection. Well, WELL worth the wait, though.

Stillmatic (Intro): Somewhere in between an intro and a track, Nas is semi-rapping throughout. Anything's better than a skit, though, and this does it's job

Ether: This is what killed the Jay Z confrontation, IMO. This album was hyped as an album-length Jay Z diss, but this is the only full diss on Stillmatic...but it has an album worth of material. Rips Jay apart. From the opening "F*ck Jay Z" from 2pac, something which would have hurt Jay as much as any line, him being a big {ac fan and all, through to the "How much of Biggie's rhymes is gon' come out your fat lips?" line, this is just a brilliant rip on Jay Z, blowing anything Hova could spit right out of the water. Mixing animosity with his usual wit, this is just a classic diss. Best line for me has to be "I rock ho's, you rock fellas"...too funny.

Got Yourself A Gun: Good lyrics, decent but repetitive beat, but it's catchy as hell...big respect to Pac and Big, and the only other track where you can see a Jay Z diss. Good stuff.

***1/2

Smokin: Not a big fan of this one...annoying chorus, though the beat is nice. Good lyrics as per from Nas, but not to his usual standard. Odes to Mary Jane are rarely anything special, and Nas love songs in general aren't hot.

**1/2

You're Da Man: The sample is nice, though I don't think it goes great with the beat on this track. Nas on form, I feel his usual ego-driven tracks are where he hits best. The difference between him and the pretenders is that when he says he's 'da man', he has a right.

Rewind: Christ, this song is genius. I thought Book Of Rhymes was a great concept, but this one just kills it for innovation. The minimal beat is perfect because this is all about the lyrics - clever, funny and expertly written, although it's hard to follow on first listen as the backwards words can lose you.

****1/2

One Mic: One of the best hip hop songs ever, in my opinion...this is just the purest hip hop you can find. Back to the basics of rap music in concept (speaking out against oppression), it's got some of the best lyrics you'll ever see, the most perfect beat for the track (produced by Nas himself), expressed in another innovative way, using volume and dexterity (?) to show his change in emotion, gradually building up as the music and lyrics intensify...one of the most intense and brilliantly created songs I've ever heard, and...I'm actually lost for words at this point. Words cannot describe how brilliant this track is, in every way. Hardcore hip hop, but it was so good that it crossed over and made waves in the commercial arena. Everyone knows this song by now, but it still needs to be said that this is an all-time classic.

2nd Childhood: Introspective, relaxed song, but with great lyrics that mean it can work as something to relax to, or really think about. Another minimal beat that does well, allowing the lyrics to come to the forefront. Nas' producers seem to pull it off every time, knowing the right balance in creating a good beat without overshadowing Nas' great lyrics. But you'd expect nothing less from Primo. Not spectacular, but very nice.

***1/2

Destroy And Rebuild: Emotive, angry track, with many hints to Boogie Down Productions' "The Bridge Is Over". Nas is close to his best lyrically on this, though the beat isn't all that nice, one of the weaker beats on the album, although that says more about the excellence of everything else than this being particularly weak.

The Flyest: Probably the weakest song on the album. I don't particularly rate AZ, though I'll take him over the Bravehearts every time...this track is just a little dull, I feel. The closest the album comes to a filler track.

**1/2

Rule: One of the best tracks on the album. Outspoken song ("Move over Colin Powell or just throw in the towel") about war, and the causes and effects of war. Amerie drops a hook almost as nice as Lauryn Hill's on 'If I Ruled The World', covering the original chorus (done by...?). The beat is brilliant, and I love the original tune, so this one can't lose.

My Country: Decent, and quite catchy. Nice lyrics but nothing special.

What Goes Around: Ah, I've just remembered what I was thinking when I first heard this album...it tales off somewhat after 'Rule'. Another good track, but again not top draw stuff. Nice lyrics, average beat.

Every Ghetto: :blah: The choice of tracklisting was poor on this album, one of the few problems with it. Again, this is a good track, but not a Nas, GOOD track...if they had put these weaker songs at different points in the album and maybe put One Mic at the end, the album would come off looking a lot better. As it is, there's always the temptation to switch CDs after 'Rule'. That said, this track is better than most tracks on many rival albums.

Overall, the only problem I have with this album is the choice of track placement...a better choice would have made the album better, plus 'One Mic' would have ended the album excellently. That minor beef aside, it's a very good albu. One stone-cold classic, the sort of track you'll only get every couple of years (One Mic), a couple more top-class tunes (Rewind, Rule, 2nd Childhood) and nothing that is anything worse than average makes for a good album...just not a great album. I'll take God's Son every time, though.

7.5/10

spanish announce table
March 10th, 2003, 5:50 PM
I think Fabolous' new album is better than 50 Cent's and I don't like Fabolous at all. So take that for what it is worth.

Fab's making so many love songs now he's like ja rule with skills

originally posted by HB2K3

Amerie drops a hook almost as nice as Lauryn Hill's on 'If I Ruled The World', covering the original chorus (done by...?

i think its a duran duran song, but im not sure

Ronald McDonald
March 11th, 2003, 11:25 PM
Fabolous review please?????????????

spanish announce table
March 12th, 2003, 10:15 AM
i was kinda dissapointed in freeway. ive read how he is such a devout muslim and things like that, but all he raps about is guns and "crackin' 40's when the sun goes down". i think he's an okay rapper, but he needs to switch up his subject matter

Simon
March 12th, 2003, 11:23 AM
I'm buying Mobb Deep's "The Infamous" tonight, review soon.

:heart: to whoever told me to listen to their old stuff. Fuck Quiet Storm :D

QuietStorm
March 12th, 2003, 6:33 PM
"Hell on Earth" is their best album overall in my opinion cuz Havoc just tears it up with those dark beats but "The Infamous" definitely put them on the map. But don't say fuck Quiet Storm cuz I actually really liked "Murda Musik" even though it was definitely far more commercial. Just say fuck "Infamy". Poor Prodigy fell off bigtime after his solo release.

QuietStorm
March 12th, 2003, 6:34 PM
Fabolous review please?????????????

It sucks. The only halfway quality track is "Change You Or Change Me".

strange famous
March 13th, 2003, 6:44 PM
"Hell on Earth" is their best album overall in my opinion cuz Havoc just tears it up with those dark beats but "The Infamous" definitely put them on the map. But don't say fuck Quiet Storm cuz I actually really liked "Murda Musik" even though it was definitely far more commercial. Just say fuck "Infamy". Poor Prodigy fell off bigtime after his solo release.

gotta disagree with you there. 'the infamous' is easily there best work and a bonafide hip hop classic. i still regard that as one of the best hip hop albums of all time. 'hell on earth' was definitely good but it still doesn't compare overall to 'the infamous'. i kinda thought that havoc got into a period after that where all his beats(while still very good) started sounding alike.

sin six

sin six: shook ones pt II, respect

Suno
March 13th, 2003, 8:24 PM
I'm buying Mobb Deep's "The Infamous" tonight, review soon.

:heart: to whoever told me to listen to their old stuff. Fuck Quiet Storm :D

It was me man! Me! And I introduced you to the Beatnuts aswell!OMG OMG!

:heart:

Simon
March 14th, 2003, 8:40 AM
Na you didn't show me Beatnuts, a girl at my school did...Turn It Ouuuuuuuut we were singing that all through 2001 :D

Infamous is good, though I've only listened through once (and listened to Shook Ones like a million times :D).

Suno
March 14th, 2003, 10:09 AM
Nah man it was me who showed you the Beatnuts, seeing as you started some thread about latin rap or something and I suggested the Beatnuts, then you was like gimmie some tracks by them like you never heard of em, so i did, then then next day you was all like :heart: Beatnuts....

See....

twas me.....

:)

bobster
March 15th, 2003, 9:19 AM
I showed you Big Pun

Simon
March 17th, 2003, 5:15 AM
:wtf:!

bobster
March 17th, 2003, 5:08 PM
You'd still be listening to Eminem 24/7 if it wasnt for me.

Simon
March 18th, 2003, 6:21 AM
Eat a di...oops, Asylum :$

Andy™
March 21st, 2003, 4:51 PM
Lil' Kim
La Bella Mafia

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00008DCQL.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This is possibly the best album released by a female rap artist. Standout tracks include "Thug Luv", featuring Twista, and the really deep and emotional "This is Who I am" featuring Mashonda Tifere- who should be pretty big soon, judging by this song. I personally like "Ms Kim's Classroom"- quite a funny and entertaining song, although this may not be everyone's cup of tea. The most annoying song is undoubtedly, "Shake Ya Bum Bum"- why they put this on the album I have no idea, as it takes away any raw attitude and edge that Lil' Kim has, and turns her into regular mainstream material. Other colloborations on the album include songs with Method Man, Governor, Styles P and Missy Elliot- who herself shows more talent than in any song on her solo album, "Under Construction" (La Belle Mafia is far better than this by the way!!). Other tracks to listen out for are "The Bee Hive" and "Knock 'Em Out". All in all a fantastic album with only a couple of bad tracks- which you would expect from almost any artist.

"La Bella Mafia" = 8/10

Ronald McDonald
March 21st, 2003, 6:24 PM
I would of known for Andy™ to make a review of something like this. :lol: :heart: Andy™

Andy™
March 21st, 2003, 6:40 PM
It's still hip hop. Us girls must stick together and stand up tall.

BoSox Rule
March 21st, 2003, 10:50 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000075BFK.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
2Pac- Better Dayz

Another CD released by 2Pac during his "death." Very good CD including great tracks like Still Ballin', Thugz Mansion (acoustic ft. Nas), and Better Dayz. All the other songs are also awesome.

Every Pac fan should have this CD. One of the things that stands out in this CD is the outro. The lyrics go like this: Expect me nigga, like you expect Jesus to come back, expect me nigga I'm comin!" This could be another hint that Tupac Shakur will be back on September 13, 2003.

Overall CD rating: 8.5/10

Simon
March 22nd, 2003, 10:32 AM
Reading too much into it.

I bought Pun's Capital Punishment today at last. Class.

Flow
March 22nd, 2003, 1:17 PM
http://www.artistdirect.com/Images/Sources/AMGCOVERS/music/cover200/dre600/e645/e645628voh8.jpg

2Pac – “Until The End of Time”

The first song on the LP is “Ballad of a Dead Soulja”, undoubtedly one of the greatest songs Pac did. The beat is perfectly fitting, his flow and lyrics are as good as 2pac gets. The song is an absolute classic IMO and gets the LP off to perfect start. The second song of the first CD is “Fuck Friendz” which contains the infamous line of “Fuck Dre tell that bitch he can kiss my ass”. Unlike Hit ‘Em Up or Why U Turn On Me this diss song ain’t all that anger-filled, it even has a catchy-ish chorus. It’s another top song, one of the best on the album. Halfway through the first CD is a song called “Happy Home”, it contrasts the first two songs in that it’s got a lot more positive a message and shit. Pac reflects on the past similar to Biggie does in Juicy. A couple of songs further on is another of 2Pac’s best, “Fuckin With Tha Wrong Nigga”. I love this track; Pac’s flow and lyrics are on top form. “I was raised by thugs, schooled by killers, learned my mathematic skills from real drug dealers”. The last song of real importance on CD one goes by the same title as the album. “Until the End of Time” is one of the songs considered by many as Pac’s best. Better than “Fuckin Wit Tha Wrong Nigga” it rates up there with Changes, To Live and Die in L.A and California Love. The beat fits perfectly again, Pac’s flow and lyrics are just flawless. This song is Pac at his incendiary best. Another song of note on CD1 is the “Thug N U, Thug N Me” Remix. It’s a hot club-happy track with the same flow and lyrics of the original, with a hotter beat in the background. Similar to How Do U Want It K-Ci and Jo Jo provide the voice behind the chorus.

IMO the weaker half of the album is CD2, unlike CD1 it’s started with a Big Syke interlude, which obviously pails in comparison to Ballad of a Dead Soulja. The first song of note to me is “Why U Turn On Me” a diss on Biggie and who I’m guessing is Lil Kim. For me, this is almost as good as Hit ‘Em Up, with an equally brilliant outro. “Why you always wearing spandex you fat bitch I know your pussy’s thick” for me is just classic. Then his Tyson references just add to what is a top fucking track. For me, definitely among Pac’s best tracks. A couple of songs later is “Thug N You, Thug N Me”. The remix is on CD1, this version is still up beat and club happy, the same lyrics and tight flow as you’d expect and that are in the remix. Both this and the remix are top tracks. IMO the next great song on the LP is “Words to My First Born”, it’s got a great beat and as ever Pac’s flow compliments the beat perfectly. The beat is catchy as fuck at the end of each verse, another great outing. The penultimate track is “When I Get Free” with the opening line of “When I get free motherfucker’s better watch they ass, as soon as I get released I’m ‘a clock some cash” a track about Pac being released from jail (I assume). A great song with the usual tight lyrics, beat and flow. Not a classic or one of Pac’s best, but a top track. The LP is ended with a remix of “Until the End of Time”… I don’t like the remix beat all that much and it ain’t half of what “Until the End of Time” is but it’s fitting to have the song ending the album.

Overall it’s a classic album with a collection of quality tracks. There’s not a song on the album that I dislike or skip past when I’m playing it. “Ballad Of a Dead Soulja”, “Fuckin Wit Tha Wrong Nigga”, “Until the End of Time” and “Why U Turn On Me” are all amongst Pac’s best IMO. 29 tracks and not one I dislike, probably the best LP in my small collection.

9/10.

A must have.

Ronald McDonald
March 22nd, 2003, 7:03 PM
I agree Flow. But I would have to add 'Breathin' To the list of top songs on that Cd.

Nice review.

Webbicho
March 22nd, 2003, 10:00 PM
GZA - Liquid swords

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000000OUJ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Warning. Every song will probably say great, good, deep lyrics etc, coz its so fucking good. So I'll gice you a bit of each song, judge it yaself.

1. Liquid swords/intro.

Brilliant. The intro is classic I won't give it away, but its classic Wu. Liquids swords the track is tight. Yeh baby if you like it raw - you'll love it. 'It's a wide entrance, small exit like a funnel
So deep it's picked up on radios in tunnels'. Great beat, the flow is awesome, awesome breath control, although he doesn't strain himself to much, so it comes off perfect.

2. Duel of the Iron mic.

"Ohh mad one
We see your trap
You can never escape, your fate
Submit with honor to a duel, with my son

I agree"

Nice shoalin bit at the beggining, a dreamy beat, with a high piano bit repeated every bar. With verse from both Deck and Masta Killa its a classic song. Tight lyrics and grimey wu style RZA beat. The focus in this album is on CONTENT. "Picture bloodbaths and elevator shafts
Like these murderous rhymes tight from genuine craft
Check the print, it's where veterans spark the letterings
Slow moving MC's is waitin for the editin
The liquid soluble that made up the chemistry
A gaseous element, that burned down your ministry
Herbal vapors, and biblical papers
Smokin Exodus, every square yard is plush"

and this is Deck

"Adults kill for drugs plus the young bucks bust
Duckin handcuffs, throats get cut when dough rush
Out of town foes look shook but still pose
We move lioke real pros through the streets we stroll"

I'll probably never quote the best quote, but its still a good couple a lines.

At the height of their fame and glory, they turned on one another
Each struggling in vain for ultimate supremacy
In the passion and depth of their struggle
They very art, that had raised them through such rapiant heights was lost
Their techniques, vanished

3. Living in the world today.

Chorus with Rza n Meth, another great song with a dreamy beat and tight lyrics.

"I'm just swingin swords strictly based on keyboards
Unbalanced like elephants and ants on see-saws
I throw raps that attack like the Japs on Pearl Harbor
MC's be out like bank robbers
Fleeing the scene, to be a sole survivor
DJ the getaway driver
Tried to dip but he dive I socialize on vocal vibes
On tracks stabbed up with razor sharp knives"

4. Gold

STREET. What more can I say, a drug song so deep you can't critise the subject.

Yo, the fiends ain't comin fast enough
There is no cut that's pure enough
I can't fold, I need gold, I re-up and reload
Product must be sold to YOU

I'm deep down in the back streets - in the heart of Medina
About to set off something more deep than a misdemeanor
Under the subway, waiting for the train to make noise
So I can blast a nigga and his boys - for what?
He pushed up on the block and made the dope sales drop
Like the crashin of Dow Jones stock
I had to connect to cross seals, to catch more mil's
Than ho-bitches got birth control pills
I'm in the park, settin up a deal over blunt fire
Bum niggaz sleepin on the bench, they had em wired
Peeped my convo, the address of my condo
And how I changed a nigga name to John Doe

DOPE!

5. Cold Word.

This is a cold song. Very deep and sad. One of the very first hip hop songs I ever heard, and still one of my favorites. With Gza Deck and some dude 'life'singing. Its a mad song.

"It was the night before New Year's, and all through the fuckin projects
Not a handgun was silent, not even a Tec
Outside as I'm stuck, by enemies who put fear
and blasted on the spot before the pigs were dere
You know hoods robbers snipers new in sight, fuck blue and white
They escape before them flash the fuckin lights
Gunshots, shatter first floor window panes
Shells hit the ground and blood stained the dice game
Whether broke callisthetic, any style you set it
Beat niggaz toothless, physically cut up like gooses
But with iron on the sides thugs took no excuses
Therefore, your fifty-two handblocks was useless"
DECK
Yo - no time to freeze, undercovers ease up in Grand Prixs
and seize packages and pocket the currency
Clicks control strips full clips are sprayed
Yellow tape barricades sidewalks where bodies lay
Some niggaz in the jet black Gallant
Shot up the Chinese resteraunt, for this kid named Lamont
I thought he was dead but instead he missed a kid
and hit a twelve year old girl in the head and then fled
Tactical narcotic, task force, back off fast
Cause the crime boss is passin off cash
Extortions, for portions of streets, causes beef
Havin followers of Indians trying to play Chief
You witness the saga, casualties and drama
Life is a script, I'm not a actor but the author

6. Labels

Not as great but good considering he using about 100 different Rap labels names in it to make the song. Good song. Not the greatest beat but still good.

7. 4th Chamber.

BANGER. Dark classic song, If you've ever seen the legend of the Red Dragon you'll recognize the intro... "Choose the sword and you will join me, choose the ball and you join your mother... in death..." My god what a classic song. With Rza Ghost and Killah priest in it, all with classic verses from all I like Rza's the most.

"Aiyyo, camoflouge chameleon, ninjas scalin your buildin
No time to grab the gun they already got your wife and children
A hit was sent, from the President, to rage your residence
Because you had secret evidence, and documents
on how they raped the continents, and it's the prominent
dominant Islamic, Asiatic black hebrew
The year two thousand and two, the battle's filled with the Wu
Six million devils just died from the Bubonic Flu
Or the Ebola Virus, under the reign of King Cyrus
You can see the weakness of a man right through his iris
Un-loyal snakes get thrown in boilin lakes
of hot oil, it boils your skin, chickenheads gettin slim
like Olive Oyl, only plant the seed deep inside fertile soil
Fortified with essential, vitamin and minerals
Use the sky for a blanket, stuffin clouds inside my pillow
Rollin with the lambs
Twelve tribes a hundred and forty four thousand chosen
Protons Electrons Always Cause Explosions"

8. Shadowboxing.

Maximillion and Johnny Blaze. My second favorite track on the cd. The best being the previous song. Nice chilled beat. Gza and Meth together is a rarish good mix. Meth actually has more verses that Gza but thats not bad. Meth comes off deeper just by being with Gz, probably the influence of writing a track in a studio with Gza compared to with Redman.

9. Killah Hillz 10304

The beggining is classic, like a mafia movie in a song (only done well). And the song follows up pefectly. The whole song is one verse. No chorus or any shit. Life of a drug dealer shit. Dats real Gangsta.. Mad song This is the end bit

"First rule, anyone who schemes on the gold in Syria
I want they small intestines ripped from the interior
I got a price for those jewels, ship em freight cargo
Don't forget to launder the cream through Wells Fargo
Reconstruct those processin plants for the call of Costa Rica
Four hundred barrels of ether
Two hundred pounds of reefer
and fifty immigrants with fake Visas"

10. Investigative reports.

GZA U-God, Raekwon and ghost. Strings on this track, U's doing the chorus's and it's all about street battles. With the theme being corruption in people and in the law.

11. Swordsman.

A beat that will grow on you. A strong powerful song. Professing himself as the G O D.

Yo; I'm not caught up in politics
I'm no black activist on a so-called scholar's dick
I come through with the Wu and drop math
And versatile freestyles bombs and phonographs
and deliver, all things and other in weight
Searched to death, on how living things relate
Cause at a young age, I was molded in a religion
I relied on - and got caught up in superstition

12. I gotcha back.

RZA and GZA on the chorus.

I gotcha back so you best to watch your front
Cause it's the niggaz who front, that be pullin stunts
I gotcha back but you best to watch your front
It's the niggaz who front, that be pullin stunts

Good beat... I'm very stoned by now...

13. This song is Killah priest so I don't have to review it. But Gza did the beat so I will say it it DOPE.

I'd give it 5 mics but I can't

4 and 1/2 mics. If you don't own it, why the fuck not?

jesus sucks
March 23rd, 2003, 9:20 AM
Yeah that GZA album Liquid Swords is just unbelieveable. I remember buyin that about 7 years ago as i was just gettin into more hardcore music like wu tang etc and i was in school and all my mates said "hahah look at that you spent £15.99 on that hahah i bet its shit and has all shit music on it buy the Coolio album instead!" well they are all wrong, the only track i don't really enjoy is I gotcha back, i just dont like the beat all the way GZA raps in it. every other song is a ***** star.

Andy™
March 23rd, 2003, 3:27 PM
Redman
Malpractice

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B000059Q4I.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It's not that Malpractice is awful -- far from it. This is still Redman we're talking about here, and even on his worst day, he can still spit more hilariously original rhymes before 6 a.m. than most MCs do all day. So he does manage to get off some wicked rhymes here and, thankfully, his flow is as rugged and nasty as ever. He's also got Erick Sermon in the producer's seat once again, so the beats are fat and greasy as usual, making for some genuine bangers -- including "Diggy Doc," "Lick a Shot," and the single, "Let's Get Dirty" (which teams Red up with DJ Kool and shows that you don't need to go down South to get dirty). He's got plenty of other top-shelf guests on board, too, including Missy Elliott (who lights up "Dat Bitchh"), Scarface ("Real Niggaz"), and, as usual, Method Man ("Enjoy Da Ride"). He's even got George Clinton on board ("J.U.M.P.") to provide some of the real, uncut funk. But there's something about Malpractice that just seems unfocused. There are way too many skits, and none of them are half as funny as a typical Redman rhyme, so why bother? What's more is that they disrupt the album's flow and prevent it from ever building up any real momentum. The numerous posse cuts also send the listener scrambling for the "skip" button. Tracks such as "Real Niggaz" and "Bricks Two" are fine on their own, but don't really belong on this record. In fact, what the album really needs is a tighter final edit. With 23 tracks, Malpractice is as lazy and unfocused as a blunted afternoon spent watching TV; with half as many cuts, it could have been another classic.

"Malpractice" = 5.5/10

Webbicho
March 24th, 2003, 3:28 AM
Originally posted by jesus sucks
Yeah that GZA album Liquid Swords is just unbelieveable. I remember buyin that about 7 years ago as i was just gettin into more hardcore music like wu tang etc and i was in school and all my mates said "hahah look at that you spent £15.99 on that hahah i bet its shit and has all shit music on it buy the Coolio album instead!" well they are all wrong, the only track i don't really enjoy is I gotcha back, i just dont like the beat all the way GZA raps in it. every other song is a ***** star.

Hahahaha Coolio

HB2k1?!?! You are a tripper bro, Smoking is one of the best tracks on Stillmatic. !! Heaps better than My country, what goes around and that intro, come on!

Simon
March 24th, 2003, 5:40 AM
But then you like smokin' :p

Webbicho
March 24th, 2003, 6:37 AM
Originally posted by Andy™

Redman
Malpractice

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B000059Q4I.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Tracks such as "Real Niggaz" and "Bricks Two" are fine on their own, but don't really belong on this record. In fact, what the album really needs is a tighter final edit.

"Malpractice" = 5.5/10

I love bricks 2. Whats that outsidaz or just pacewon in that song? Does Red even have a verse?

BoSox Rule
March 26th, 2003, 3:01 PM
2Pac
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00000FCBH.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif
Greatest Hits*

CD One
keep ya head up- 8/10
2 of amerikaz most wanted- 9/10
temptations- 7/10
god bless the dead- 7/10
hail mary- 10/10
me against the world- 8/10
how do you want it- 8/10
so many tears- 8/10
unconditional love- 7/10
trapped- 7/10
life goes on- 7/10
hit 'em up- 10/10, best 2Pac song ever IMO

CD Two
troublesome '96- 10/10
brenda's got a baby- 9/10
i ain't mad at cha- 7/10
i get around- 7/1-0
changes- 9/10
california love- 8/10, commercially his best song ever
picture me rollin'- 7/10
how long will they mourn me- 8/10
toss it up- 8/10
dear mama- 9/10
to live & die in l.a.- 10/10
heartz of men- 8/10

*songs may be rated highly but they're just my opinions

Flow
March 26th, 2003, 3:22 PM
Life Goes On is well over 7/10...same with How Do U Want It being just 8/10...

Those two are both 10/10 for me

QuietStorm
March 26th, 2003, 3:34 PM
Chino XL ripped Pac's shit up in 1996.

Suno
March 26th, 2003, 5:36 PM
But really, I do like Chino's shit, but on the grander scale of hip-hop at the time, who the fuck was Chino XL? A nobody is what...

"Chino XL.......Fuck you too!"

all Pac had to say, because he wern't shit....

BoSox Rule
March 26th, 2003, 5:55 PM
I've never heard Chino XL's name outside of Hit 'em up so who cares what he had to say about Pac.

Suno
March 26th, 2003, 6:06 PM
Chino XL is the king of punch lines, simple as...

DGAF
March 26th, 2003, 11:16 PM
Today i bought "Diplomatic Immunity" from the Diplomats

if i have time on friday...i might write a review.

:D

QuietStorm
March 27th, 2003, 2:19 AM
I think the Diplomats may be the worst rap group in the history of rap. I mean, Cam'ron is atrocious and all the other fools that ride his jock are even more horrible. And don't they call themselves the Taliban? Way to sell records guys. I wouldn't buy that album if it came with Jessica Alba.

Webbicho
March 29th, 2003, 12:33 AM
Just got MOP Firing Squad, DOC Nobody does it better, Gangstar Daily operation, and Jigga Reasonable doubt.

Might be a review or 2 there.

jesus sucks
March 30th, 2003, 11:58 AM
Yeah cam'ron is gay and those people hes with, plus have u seen the stupid clothes they all wear :lol:

Seanny One Ball
March 31st, 2003, 8:38 AM
Webbicho posted a review of "The Fix" by Scarface on the first page, but I have to say that not only is it an amazing album, and definately one of my top 10 right now it has the best first 5 tracks on an album I've ever heard.

1. The Fix - just a little musical intro but a good tune nonetheless
2. Safe - Probably the best unreleased song I've ever heard
3. In Cold Blood - Probably the second best unreleased song I've ever heard.
4. Guess Who's Back Feat Beanie Sigel and Jay Z - just a brilliant song, it's quality through and through.
5. On My Block - The song that defines the album for me, it's not just a song it's a story and a damned good story at that. You only have to listen to it once to get what he's saying.

The rest of the album is good and very good in places, but those first 5 tracks are all I need in an album, the rest is a bonus in my opinion.

spanish announce table
March 31st, 2003, 4:44 PM
scarface had the best album last year IMO. he told stories, spit knowledge on religion and did his "gangsta rap classics" too

jesus sucks
March 31st, 2003, 8:07 PM
I bought his greatest hits at christmas. Brilliant. especially "Goin Down", "Exchangin fuckfaces" and "Smile" w/ 2pac.

Webbicho
April 1st, 2003, 2:03 AM
Scarface fucking rules and I agree, Safe, In cold blood, Guess who's back, My block... and... the next song with a guitar. Great way to get thing started.

I also have greatest hits, Mr scarface 2, smile, look into my eyes, now I feel ya, I seen a man die - and the rest truly are - great hits.

50 Cent
April 2nd, 2003, 7:21 PM
Cam'ron wears pink what a faggot, but seriously that Diplomatic Immunity album has some of the best production since Bluprint dropped in 2001. Lyrics are horrid tough.

Webbicho
April 6th, 2003, 12:14 AM
Just got 50's album... its better than I expected I'll say that...

50 Cent
April 6th, 2003, 2:00 AM
Just got 50's album... its better than I expected I'll say that...

Hes so ghetto, 50 is the future.

Webbicho
April 6th, 2003, 5:06 AM
I wouldn't go that far.

Webbicho
April 6th, 2003, 6:22 AM
Hahahaha Coolio

HB2k1?!?! You are a tripper bro, Smoking is one of the best tracks on Stillmatic. !! Heaps better than My country, what goes around and that intro, come on!

Also the flyest is a great song. I loooove AZ and Nas and wanna hear a album.

Stillmatic is tight :yes: Took me a year to like every track... still there is on i dont like. That bravehearts song. :spew:

Simon
April 6th, 2003, 9:11 AM
In the last couple of weeks I've bought..

Slim Shady LP
The Score
All Eyez On Me
It Was Written
Capital Punishment

Reviews when I have proper internet again.

Seanny One Ball
April 7th, 2003, 11:42 AM
I've ordered "Hardcore" by L'il Kim, don't give me shit for it I have it under good authority that it's a good album.
"I also got La Bella Mafia" - that you can give me shit for.

:yes:

Prince XL
April 7th, 2003, 7:31 PM
Of all the little Kim shit I've heard, HARDCORE is probably best of the lot.

50 Cent
April 8th, 2003, 1:48 PM
Nas is the king right now hes the heir to the throne of 2Pac but Nas will never be crowned.

The Revolting Blob
April 8th, 2003, 2:40 PM
Originally posted by 50 Cent
Nas is the king right now hes the heir to the throne of 2Pac but Nas will never be crowned.

What about Stagga Lee? he is the shit. Whitey can out rap any black rapper. Crackers rule.

NightShade
April 8th, 2003, 4:25 PM
Originally posted by The Revolting Blob
What about Stagga Lee? he is the shit. Whitey can out rap any black rapper. Crackers rule.

Dude's gotta out-rap Em first.

Suno
April 8th, 2003, 4:53 PM
Hey Yo! I bought the Giancana Story by Kool G Rap and Bacdafucup by OnyX, probably do a review soon...

50 Cent
April 8th, 2003, 6:53 PM
Originally posted by NightShade
Dude's gotta out-rap Em first.

Eminem is the 2nd best right now, he is a great lyrsict, but hes subject is boring sometimes.

Nas is the king lyrically, he made a huge comeback with Stillmatic, and then put out something like Gods Son 1 classic and 1 excellent album.

Album of the year
2001: Stillmatic
2002: Gods Son

Nas king.

Seanny One Ball
April 9th, 2003, 6:10 AM
Nas is a dick, but at least he makes good music :yes:

Sometimes...

50 Cent
April 9th, 2003, 11:08 AM
Im really waiting on Jay's Black Album dropping November 28th, I think he will finally drop that classic album he is capable of.

Suno
April 9th, 2003, 11:56 AM
Reasonable Doubt wasn't a classic?

And I thought The Blueprint was pretty groundbreaking production wise.....

50 Cent
April 9th, 2003, 11:57 AM
Yeah but neither were classic albums, the Blueprint featured great production, but lyrically it was a step down. Reasonable Doubt is a 4 mic album.

Flow
April 9th, 2003, 12:10 PM
Blueprint was off the hook

Suno
April 9th, 2003, 12:17 PM
4 mic's? :lol:

You obviously dont appreciate hip-hop as much as you think.....

50 Cent
April 9th, 2003, 12:20 PM
Whats so funny even the source gave it 4.5 mics at first even tough there credibility is nothing now.

Reasonable Doubt is not consistent enough to be a classic.

Trust me I appreaciate hip hop a lot, and a lot of people believe Reasonable Doubt is 4 to 4.5 mics.

Suno
April 9th, 2003, 12:28 PM
Name me the weak joints on Reasonable Doubt...

That is a 5 mic album

Suno
April 9th, 2003, 12:29 PM
And the source's mic based review's have always been a little crooked...

QuietStorm
April 9th, 2003, 12:34 PM
Yeah considering Baby's album got one and a half more mics than MiClub: The Curriculum which should have been a 4 mic album with the only downfall being the fact there are only two choruses on the whole thing. Screw Benzino and the Source.

50 Cent
April 10th, 2003, 12:15 AM
Yeah considering Baby's album got one and a half more mics than MiClub: The Curriculum which should have been a 4 mic album with the only downfall being the fact there are only two choruses on the whole thing. Screw Benzino and the Source.

Canibus got that rating because well has no substance to his music, its just dictionary spit lyrics, and really he has no diverse subject matter.

Reasonable Doubt has the following weak joints Feeling It, Aint No Nigga, and Bring it On.

Its a 4 mic album highly overated by hardcore Jay-Z fans. Jay is a great Mc but he is capable of putting out a true classic which will stand the test of time he if goes back to his roots, and gets Premo to produce atleast 3 cuts on the new album, and absolutley no club track or some of that bullshit he puts out, no Timbaland production or Trackmasters.

Premo/Blaze/West/No Id

QuietStorm
April 10th, 2003, 12:55 AM
It is not dictionary spit lyrics. The guy is seriously an enigmatic genius. And maybe MiClub didn't have the most diverse subject matter but if you did your research there is tons of subliminal stuff there that is impossible to pick up with just one listen.

And the main beef with Canibus over the years has been the fact that he has had weak beats. And yes, he has had some beats on his 3 "serious" albums, not to mention his mockery with CTHS, that have been less than subpar. But when I first heard Can-I-Bus back in 98 I have to admit that I was amazed at 75 percent of the beats on there. I mean, Buckingham Palace, oh my God! And plus, they were all original beats that Wyclef did. Nothing was rehashed or generic. And if you listen to the album, with songs like I Honor U and Channel Zero, he is capable of making tracks with great subject matter. And while everyone calls him strictly a battle rapper, that whole album was concept type stuff that people were not used to hearing. In my opinion, from start to finish, it is a classic.

But the day that Wyclef pulled a gun on the reviewer from Blaze magazine who said the beats on Can-I-Bus were weak was the day that doomed Canibus forever. It put the whole production issue in the spotlight. Pretty soon all anyone remembered was "the beats on Can-I-Bus were wack!" Most people don't even remember that Wyclef pulled that gun. That follows Cani around today like "all Ja Rule does is sing." Most people were not saying this untill it became popular to say. Once people are conditioned to believe something, it's hard if not impossible to change their mind. Think about all of bis's albums and ask yourself if his beats are wack. Even if you dont consider CTHS one big satire. Look at every Canibus album review and see what the first thing they go to is, the beats.

If Wyclef didn't pull that gun, that little 2 bit magazine review would have disappeared like the magazine eventually did because it was garbage. Instead everyone followed that stupid reviewer cuz it was a hot new magazine.

I am not saying he has always had the greatest beats, he has had both hot and weak ones, but overall they are worlds better than the majority believe they are.

Get a few people onto an idea and eventually it is uncontrollable.

Suno
April 10th, 2003, 9:12 AM
Canibus got that rating because well has no substance to his music, its just dictionary spit lyrics, and really he has no diverse subject matter.

Reasonable Doubt has the following weak joints Feeling It, Aint No Nigga, and Bring it On.

Its a 4 mic album highly overated by hardcore Jay-Z fans. Jay is a great Mc but he is capable of putting out a true classic which will stand the test of time he if goes back to his roots, and gets Premo to produce atleast 3 cuts on the new album, and absolutley no club track or some of that bullshit he puts out, no Timbaland production or Trackmasters.

Premo/Blaze/West/No Id

I'm far from a hardcore Jay Z fan, and in the majority of hip-hop circles, discluding people who ride Source reviews it's a classic album, how do I know this? people I know, critics, rap boards and in my own personal opinion it's a classic.

Feelin' It is far from weak, maybe one of the weakest joints on a classic album, but it's still a great track....

Ain't no Nigga is a classic song, maybe it's just your personal preferance but that is a distinguishable classic song

And Bring it On is dope as fuck, the beat is mad grimey and the inclusion of Sauce Money and Big Jaz-O is hardly hindering the track, a nice contrast to Jay-Z imo..

And it's a premier beat too, by the sounds of things you love premo, and it's a typical premo beat, but you say it's weak? pfft...

But really will just have to agree to disagree, you dont think it is, many do...

spanish announce table
April 10th, 2003, 10:31 AM

As opposed to Baby who we all know is the most flexible MC out there. The writer said that the lack of choruses made it weak, but if they paid any attention to Cenior Studies "...fuck writin' killer chorus".

MiClub was one of Bis's best albums, lyrically and production wise. No way in hell did he deserve 2.5, while Lil Kim (wack lyrics) got 4.5

QuietStorm
April 10th, 2003, 10:45 AM
I didn't have a problem with there being no choruses. That is the way that I personally love to hear Canibus spit. And yeah the Source dude who wrote the review acted like it was a good album worthy of 4 or 4.5 mics and then you look and do a double-take when you see there are only 2.5 mics there. Simply shocking. They have lost all credibility.

50 Cent
April 10th, 2003, 2:01 PM
I'm far from a hardcore Jay Z fan, and in the majority of hip-hop circles, discluding people who ride Source reviews it's a classic album, how do I know this? people I know, critics, rap boards and in my own personal opinion it's a classic.

Feelin' It is far from weak, maybe one of the weakest joints on a classic album, but it's still a great track....

Ain't no Nigga is a classic song, maybe it's just your personal preferance but that is a distinguishable classic song

And Bring it On is dope as fuck, the beat is mad grimey and the inclusion of Sauce Money and Big Jaz-O is hardly hindering the track, a nice contrast to Jay-Z imo..

And it's a premier beat too, by the sounds of things you love premo, and it's a typical premo beat, but you say it's weak? pfft...

But really will just have to agree to disagree, you dont think it is, many do...

Im sorry buddy but Aint No Nigga is not classic by any means. The Source does suck, but there rating at 4.5 mics was correct. Reasonable Doubt is a overrated album, but it is not a shitty album. Almost all hiphop heads agrees that the album is not classic, but still is very good, and Jay's best effort.

Hack
April 10th, 2003, 2:26 PM
... Almost all hiphop heads agrees that the album is not classic, but still is very good, and Jay's best effort.

"Hip-hop heads" agreeing about something doesn't mean shit ... the thing about Reasonable Doubt is the fact that it grows on you.

A majority of the rap albums released in the 90s were instantly classic. You'd hear it once and know it was great ... but that isn't the case for some, namely Reasonable Doubt and, while some might not agree that it isn't instantly incredible, Illmatic.

They're the kind of albums that sink in as you listen, where you find yourself finding new favorite lines and hidden beats weeks after you first buy the album.

That, to me, makes Reasonable Doubt so damn good. Argue whether or not something is a classic all you want, but the fact that it only improves with age is what makes it great.

Suno
April 10th, 2003, 2:57 PM
No! Reasonable Doubt is a classic, Im not arguing why it is, maybe on your Slim shady message board where everybody agrees that Eminem, 50 Cent, Obie Trice and D12 are all in their top ten greatest of all time it isnt a classic, but it fucking is a classic dammit, I knew when i first listened to it, it didnt have to grow on me....

And Hack, if something grows with age, it withstands the test of time, therefor it fufills all the criteria to be a classic album, what are the criteria? Who's to say, maybe a possible topic for discussion, but to me, it dosnt leave me feeling that the album lack something, top to bottom near enough flawless hip-hop...

The Production on that album still outshines anything being released in the '03, FACT!

QuietStorm
April 10th, 2003, 3:35 PM
Hey spanish, don't you think that comparing himself to Harry Houdini on Curriculum 101 was pretty amazing? The way he has been blackballed in the industry was perfectly summed up in those few lines.

Hack
April 10th, 2003, 4:23 PM
... And Hack, if something grows with age, it withstands the test of time, therefor it fufills all the criteria to be a classic album ...

I'm not quite sure if you're saying you don't agree with me or what, but, well, that's pretty much what I was saying.

50 Cent
April 10th, 2003, 6:55 PM
Reasonable Doubt has not stood the test of time, and stating that its production is the greatest as a fact is not accurate at all. It was a great album, not classic by anymeans, any album with filler cuts like Aint No Nigga, Feelin It is not classic. Illmatic a classic yes it is. And no I do not post a slim shady messages boards, and no I do not think 50 Cent is the best rapper. Blueprint has much better production than Reasonable Doubt. Only thing missing from Blueprint was a Premo beat and great lyrics. Classics are albums like Illmatic, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, Wu Tang Forever, 7 Day Theory, 36 Chambers, albums that have stood the test of time. I can still bump Illmatic start to finish, Reasonable Doubt features skipable tracks which instantly take away the fact that its a classic album.

There is no point in arguing about this being a classic or not, because really Jay-Z does not need to drop a classic album, his status in hip hop is already there, he does not need to define himself with a classic album, the fact is he is a consitent rapper. He is a top 5 mc of all time in my books, better then Biggie.

Suno
April 10th, 2003, 7:18 PM

C'mon now, it is a classic, and is better than 7 Day Theory, hell 7 Day Theory isn't even Tupacs best album, and Jay Z is not a better MC than the Notorious BIG, FACT!

And Wu Tang Forever? You talk abount inconsistant and weak joints? Being a double disk it has it's collection of filler, in which your opinion dosn't constitute a classic album, so c'mon, think before you post.

Prince XL
April 10th, 2003, 7:43 PM
...and is better than 7 Day Theory...

:nono:

Why Sam, WHY???

QuietStorm
April 10th, 2003, 9:48 PM
7 Day Theory IS 2Pac's best album. :yesyes:

But I never liked 2Pac nearly as much as y'all. So go on with your business.

50 Cent
April 11th, 2003, 12:36 AM

C'mon now, it is a classic, and is better than 7 Day Theory, hell 7 Day Theory isn't even Tupacs best album, and Jay Z is not a better MC than the Notorious BIG, FACT!

And Wu Tang Forever? You talk abount inconsistant and weak joints? Being a double disk it has it's collection of filler, in which your opinion dosn't constitute a classic album, so c'mon, think before you post.

Fact us 7 day Theory is one of the greatest albums ever in hip hop, diverse subject matter which Reasonable Doubt does not have, and that seems to be Jay's biggest problem he talks about bitches, hustling, more hustling, hustling, bitches and even more hustling.

Suno
April 11th, 2003, 9:12 AM
Deary Me, I give up.....

Fact is, as much as I like 7 Day Theory, Me Against the World is the difinitive Tupac album, and it is better in my opinion, and is better than Reasonable Doubt as a personal preference, but reasonable doubt is still a classic album...

Simon
April 11th, 2003, 1:17 PM
7 Day Theory from HMV, £4.99. Personally I'd take All Eyez On Me any day :\

hed
April 11th, 2003, 1:18 PM
You know niggas want to dis me and talk shit.
I shown half of these niggas how to stay on beat, you know what I'm talking 'bout?

But it's cool though, we can play if you wanna play...

(verse 1)
I'm a snitch nigga killa, 3rd ward gun spitter
Belonged triggas with them hydro shots nigga
:cool:

Seanny One Ball
April 11th, 2003, 2:42 PM
This doesn't belong here but when I was drunk yesterday I was spitting freestyles and my non-rap liking friends said they were pretty immense...

I wish I knew what they were damnit, if they had been recorded that would be sweet.

To contribute to the topic - "Hardcore" by L'il Kim is pretty good, however like "La Bella Mafia" it suffers from being overly full of songs in which she barely appears.
I'm quite disappointed by that, however the songs she does rap in are really rather good.

QuietStorm
April 11th, 2003, 10:14 PM
Lil Kim is trash. A little whore. And she is the worst rapper ever.

There, that is what you get for calling Canibus a faggot:).

Webbicho
April 11th, 2003, 10:57 PM
Pacs best was Me against the world. DOPE. Hahaha Suno agrees. I like it cause its so east coast.

You can't say pac had a diverse subject matter on 7 day thats just stupid. It was almost ALL "I'm about to die" "hustle" "kill" " ho's". That was a really stupid thing say...

Suno what joints were weak on Forever? Forever is a classic, almost every song has pinpoint perfect production and mad lyrics. Except when Cappa steps up, but still. I would by no means call Forever inconsistent and full of filler. For a double CD its as filler free as they come. IMO

Prince XL
April 12th, 2003, 8:12 PM

You can't say pac had a diverse subject matter on 7 day thats just stupid. It was almost ALL "I'm about to die" "hustle" "kill" " ho's". That was a really stupid thing say...

All the topics you mentioned have little to no relation to one another. This fact thus proves that the subject matter is what you internet people describe as "diverse"

"Me against the world" and "7 day theory" are definately both classics in their own respects. I persoanlly prefer 7 day theory becuase of said "diversity". Listen to "bomb first" then "to live and die in LA", then "blasphemy" followed by "Just like Daddy". These four tunes just go to show exactly the various levels that Pac could reach via his lyrics.

"7 day theory" is a classic(yes, CLASSIC) because it basically could sum up tupac's life not only as a rapper but as a person too.

Webbicho
April 12th, 2003, 9:30 PM
But for Tupac that was nothing new.

Still, point tooken.

I disagree however that either of the 2 albums completely sum up Pacs life.

Prince XL
April 12th, 2003, 9:50 PM
Ok. Maybe "sum up" was a bit too much of an over-exsagerated cliche.

Maybe what I meant to say was that the album provided somewhat of an insight into the admitedly complex mind of what was a very complicated man. :)

50 Cent
April 12th, 2003, 11:52 PM
Pacs best was Me against the world. DOPE. Hahaha Suno agrees. I like it cause its so east coast.

Suno what joints were weak on Forever? Forever is a classic, almost every song has pinpoint perfect production and mad lyrics. Except when Cappa steps up, but still. I would by no means call Forever inconsistent and full of filler. For a double CD its as filler free as they come. IMO

Thats a dumb comment to make you obviously have not listened to 7 Day Theory. It is very diverse in subject matter, Me and My Girlfriend, Hold Ya Head, Bomb 1st, Hail Mary, To Live and Die In La the album is classic, and simply put one of the greatest ever recorded.

Webbicho
April 13th, 2003, 12:05 AM
I own bro.

Live and die in LA - Ho's and hustle and im gonna die
Me and my girlfriend - Ho's and kill
Hailmary - Im gonna die
Bomb first- Kill
Hold ya Head up - One of those contradictive motivational songs Pac was always good for

Nothing new for Pac. Its just Pac was one of the best at it - thats why it never seemed to get old.

QuietStorm
April 13th, 2003, 12:13 AM
Dude...Me & My Girlfriend is about his gun. But you knew that right?

50 Cent
April 13th, 2003, 2:05 AM
I own bro.
Me and my girlfriend - Ho's and kill

Nothing new for Pac. Its just Pac was one of the best at it - thats why it never seemed to get old.

That makes me wonder if you own it. Its about his gun, not hoes and kill. Hold Ya Head is a song to people who are locked up, Hail Mary is not Kill, its just some spine tingling shit right there, To Live and Die In La is not im gonna die, its a song giving props out to LA, something you can smoke to. Bomb First is a awesome opener, and Agianst All Odds is a great diss record, come to think of it this album has everything.

jesus sucks
April 13th, 2003, 8:52 AM
Dude...Me & My Girlfriend is about his gun. But you knew that right?

lol

Seanny One Ball
April 13th, 2003, 9:32 AM
Canibus does suck, and what's more I'm pretty sure Me & My Girlfriend is about both his girl and his gun.

He not only has a woman rap on the track with him, but he describes scenarios in which he is in trouble and she is with him.
I think it may be a little hasty to cancel out the prospect of the song being about just his gun.
But then again I'm not a huge fan, I just like the song.

Suno
April 13th, 2003, 12:51 PM
not really, its all metaphorical if you actually listen to it, the inclusion of the femcee is just away of personifying the gun, so yeah....

As for 7 day Theory being better, im afraid i have to disagree, the person who said it has more diverse subject matter obviously hasnt heard all of Me Against the World, in comparrison both 7 Day Theory and Me Against The World do have similar subject matter, but when you stand the tracks of similar content up against eachother the ones on Me Against The World are more potent tracks....

JeromeHolyfield112
April 13th, 2003, 1:18 PM
Suno, you know nothin about rap.

You problay think Ja Rule is a good rapper.

Suno
April 13th, 2003, 1:50 PM
Originally posted by JeromeHolyfield112
Suno, you know nothin about rap.

You problay think Ja Rule is a good rapper.

Go listen to some slipknot you surburnite faggot....

JeromeHolyfield112
April 13th, 2003, 2:54 PM
Slipknot? Why would I listen to Rock and Roll. I hate that crap.

You need to listen to real rap, and stop with listening to this Deathrow/2Pac/Westside shit.

Listen to real Hip Hop like De La Soul, KRS-One, Slick Rick, Rakim, MC Shan, EPMD, A Tribe Called Quest etc.

And stop acting hardcore gangsta, your from England.

Suno
April 13th, 2003, 3:33 PM
HAHAHA! you really are an ignorant fuck, and you're a homosexual too, but I won't discriminate because of that....

QuietStorm
April 13th, 2003, 3:36 PM
Just because it was made 10-15 or more years ago does not make it the only real hip hop Jerome.

Suno
April 13th, 2003, 3:38 PM
Just because it was made 10-15 or more years ago does not make it the only real hip hop Jerome.

You dont know shit about rap...

I bet you Nelly is your favourite MC [/JeromeHolyshitimdumb]

QuietStorm
April 13th, 2003, 3:43 PM
:rolleyes:

So nothing today is hip hop. Ok.

And you know who my favorite MC is. The one who rocks with Rakim and Kool G Rap.

Suno
April 13th, 2003, 3:51 PM
:rolleyes:

So nothing today is hip hop. Ok.

And you know who my favorite MC is. The one who rocks with Rakim and Kool G Rap.

I hope that wasn't directed at me, seeing as I was being sarcastic, evidently....

:squint:

JeromeHolyfield112
April 13th, 2003, 3:52 PM
Some rappers today are good.

I really dig Snoop Dogg's new shit, Nas, Eric Sermon, Keith Murray, Canibus, Kurupt, Dat Nigga Daz, Styles P & Jadakiss, Outkast, Method Man, Redman, I even dig some Busta Rhymes.

JeromeHolyfield112
April 13th, 2003, 3:53 PM
Oh, how can I forget GangStarr.

Mos Def is the best current MC.

Suno
April 13th, 2003, 4:00 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

This faggot slated me for listening to Westcoast Ganster Rap, and then he has both members of the Dogg Pound as some of his preferred modern day rappers...

I mean shit, get a clue....

JeromeHolyfield112
April 13th, 2003, 4:04 PM
Faggot, the reason why I like them is because, they aint always have to sing about depressing shit like Pac does, or useless shit like Dre does.

Not all West coast rappers are shit...

Eazy E and Cube ruled.

But most West coast rappers sucks IMO.

You should stop listening to most of that crap.

Bitch.

Suno
April 13th, 2003, 4:06 PM

Damn, you're a herb

QuietStorm
April 13th, 2003, 4:08 PM
Go post in the boxing thread.

Suno
April 13th, 2003, 4:10 PM
yeah, ricky hatton fucked your boy up

JeromeHolyfield112
April 13th, 2003, 4:18 PM
You problay think 2Pac is the greatest rapper of all time. Man 2Pac aint shit.

If you listen to his albums back to back, you will notice 95% of his shit is the same.

2Pac isnt even a top 10 MC, he just knew how to get the media's attention.

2Pac was a peice of shit as a person, and he was a peice of shit MC.

Eazy E, Ice Cube, and Tha Dogg Pound were the real westcoast rappers.

I aint got beef with Westcoast rappers, there is some really good talent in the Westcoast, but I hate most of these sterotyped Westcoast rappers.

MC Ren was decent also.

Anyone who honestly believes 2Pac is a better MC then Biggie should get shot.

It's a shame to what happen to Eazy, he was without a doubt one of the best rappers of all time.

JeromeHolyfield112
April 13th, 2003, 4:19 PM
yeah, ricky hatton fucked your boy up

Ricky Hatton aint shit, Arturo Gatti, Shambra Mitchell(Best fighter in the divison), Vivian Harris, Zab Judah, and Kostya Tszyu would all beat his ass.

Ronald McDonald
April 13th, 2003, 5:54 PM
The Eastcoast is wack as fuck.

Prince XL
April 13th, 2003, 7:14 PM
I dont understand the way people seem to think that region defines how good/bad an MC is. If you are good, you're good. It really doesn't make any difference if you are from Jersey, Inglewood or Bahgdad.

Get a fucking clue

JeromeHolyfield112
April 13th, 2003, 7:15 PM
Westcoast/Eastcoast have different styles.

Westcoast is basically hardcore gangsta style

while the Eastcoast is more laid back.

Prince XL
April 13th, 2003, 7:29 PM
Originally posted by JeromeHolyfield112
Westcoast/Eastcoast have different styles.

Westcoast is basically hardcore gangsta style

while the Eastcoast is more laid back.

Wrong!

There is a lot of westcoast rap that isn't what you call "Hardcore" gangster rap and a hell of a lot of East coast rap that is. It would be niave to catagorise the different coasts styles of rap the way you just did.

JeromeHolyfield112
April 13th, 2003, 7:39 PM
I suppose your right.