PDA

View Full Version : Official US Football (soccer) Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

MTR
May 8th, 2003, 12:08 PM
Seems like my MLS thread will not survive so here is a new thread for US football. MLS can be discussed in here along with national team discussions. The WUSA and women's national team discussions can take place in here as well.

Now the US has a match against Mexico today. Should be interesting considering it is in Texas and I am sure plenty of Mexian fans will be there. The US is not too focused on the match though since it is just a friendly.

The US has the Confederations Cup coming up where they will face Cameroon, Brazil, and Turkey. After that they have the CONCACAF Gold Cup as well.

A congressman has suggested that the US play a series of matches against Iraq once they reestablish their national team. I would like to see it but the US has a set schedule for this year already.

And the US is one of a few countries bidding to take the Women's World Cup after FIFA pulled it out of China due to the SARS epidemic. Canada has offered a stadium to use if the US does get the bid.

Okay that is all the US stuff I can think of off the top of my head.

bobster
May 8th, 2003, 12:13 PM
I heard that the Pittsburgh Eagles have a great offence this year.

GO EAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGLES!

:shifty:

Moz
May 8th, 2003, 12:47 PM
The US Army drew 1-1 with the Afghan's didn't they?

I think one of the Afghan's scored a cracking overhead kick, or it was just a great goal.

Remember the Iran/USA match at the World Cup in '98. That was class.

AAZIZZIIII!

Romford Pele
May 8th, 2003, 12:50 PM
Whatever happened to John Harkes? Remember him scoring against Arsenal in 93 in the league cup final.

And what the most ginger man in football, Alexi Lalas? Loved that goatee. :rofl:

Matt E
May 8th, 2003, 12:50 PM
Cobi Jones :lol:

Moz
May 8th, 2003, 12:54 PM
Remember that American commentary during the world cup.

'The ball comes in to the danger area and Donovan top-bodies it into the scorebag'.

:lol:

bobster
May 8th, 2003, 1:32 PM
Cobi Jones

"Pipe Cleaners in your head, la la la la la" (To the tune of Brown girl in the ring)

I see this thread going nowhere.

MTR
May 8th, 2003, 2:12 PM
:squint: Okay guys. Can we keep this thread from going downhill.

US Marines lost to some Iraqies 6-0. Which inspired the congressman to ask for a series of matches again Iraq.

Lalas is still playing in MLS. And he is clean shaven now it seems.

Cobi Jones is still on the national team and plays in MLS.

I think Harkes may have retired. Seems like I have not heard his name in quite a while.

And Iran had a good match with the US in the World Cup. They also had some other matches in 98 and 2000 with the US.

Azzizzi is a top player or was back then. I think he set some records during qualifing.

aenima
May 8th, 2003, 2:12 PM
Question for MTR or anyone else who knows:

This kid Freddy Adu, what position does he play in?

'Cos I'm making him on Champo :wired:

MTR
May 8th, 2003, 2:14 PM
I have not heard that name. Give me a bit to look around. Does he play in MLS?

aenima
May 8th, 2003, 2:19 PM
He's been dubbed as America's first football breakthrough star and the next Pele, amazingly. And he's only 13 years-old. I remember seeing somewhere that he plays for Potomac Cougars (don't know what league they're in) and is being chased by Inter Milan.

Beefy
May 8th, 2003, 2:19 PM
Is Mike Lapper still in MLS? Last I heard he was at Columbus.

He played for Sarfend in the mid-90's. Good player.

MTR
May 8th, 2003, 2:23 PM
Damn. How the blue hell did I miss reading about this kid. Adu looks like the next big thing in American soccer. 13 years old and plays for the U-17 team. He will graduate at the age of 15 from high school and probably head to MLS. Damn. He turned down a 6 figure salary 2 years ago to play for Inter Milan. Anyway he plays forward and can fucking score.

MTR
May 8th, 2003, 2:26 PM
Lapper retired.

http://www.mlsnet.com/content/02/clb0711lapper.html

aenima
May 8th, 2003, 2:28 PM
Ta :yes:

Beefy
May 8th, 2003, 2:32 PM
Prior to joining The Crew, Lapper earned 44 caps with the U.S. National Team and represented his country at the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona and the 1994 World Cup, then played one season in Germany (VfL Wolfsburg 1994-95) and two in England (Southend, 1995-97). Lapper's professional career followed a four-year collegiate career at UCLA, where he helped the Bruins win the 1990 NCAA championship and was a first-team All-America selection in 1991.

44 caps, an Olympics, a World Cup, but no doubt at all what the highlight was :)

Cheers MTR.

Romford Pele
May 8th, 2003, 2:36 PM
Another question. Where is Landon Donovan playing? Is he going to a big European club?

He looked a promising player at the world cup.

MTR
May 8th, 2003, 2:39 PM
Here is a link about Harkes.

http://www.mlsnet.com/content/03/mls0410wrap.html

Donovan plays for San Jose in MLS where was named player of the month for the month of April.

He is currently on loan to MLS from a team in Germany. They tried to get him back after the end of last season but he managed to talk them into letting him stay in the states. But at the end of this season they may call him back to Germany. He has not ruled out playing in Europe but he would rather stay in the US for now.

Moz
May 8th, 2003, 2:52 PM
His [Donovan's] club are gonna get relegated from their league. So that may change his plans.

Prototype16
May 8th, 2003, 4:08 PM
What interest is there in MLS nowadays? We are always told there is very little interest in the game but what sort of attendances do the big clubs get and is the interest growing significantly at all after USA 1994 and the success of the national team at the last world cup?

MTR
May 8th, 2003, 4:32 PM
MLS seems to gain more interest every year and at the end of the last World Cup after the team came back and the players went back to their clubs their was a lot more interest. It will still be a while before the US really takes to MLS. More of the teams are starting to get their own stadiums instead of having to share with other teams from other sports. Plus despite eliminating two teams in the last couple years they are talking about expansion for the 2005 season.

Beefy
May 8th, 2003, 7:34 PM
The thing that the MLS has in its favour is America's multiculturalism. There are so many people from Europe and from South America who now live in the States, and who are therefore from cultures which are very much pro-soccer. If MLS can provide them with a decent standard of the game then the fans are there.

Moz
May 8th, 2003, 7:58 PM
Plus if money is poured in, over time the MLS will get more and more players from the Brazilian, Argentinian, Mexican and other South American leagues. If these players can be attracted to the money and over time, the MLS will grow.

Also, as Beefy said the multicultural influences are there to create a fanbase. Also, the multicultural influences could help on-field as well.

But this won't happen over time, I can't think of the MLS having crowds as passionate as the ones that pour into the Bombonera or the Aztec Stadium. It will take at least 20 years of so and by that time, the USA will have a world-class team.

The expansion of the MLS can only happen if the national team succeeds, and USA in ten to fifteen years time, USA will have a world class team. More interest in the MLS, more players of a higher quality join, more fans then more people playing the game.

MerLuv
May 8th, 2003, 8:43 PM
Anyone watching USA vs. Mex?

Mex is fricken owning us... but its still 0 - 0

Dan The Man
May 8th, 2003, 11:07 PM
0-0 (to the champions ;))

Originally posted by MTR
Plus despite eliminating two teams in the last couple years they are talking about expansion for the 2005 season.

Yeah, and everyone here in Florida wishes them the best of luck.

"Hey, MLS is getting big, and Tampa Bay is doing well, and there's lots of hispanics in Miami... :idea: Let's expand into Miami! YAY!"

"Um, Florida? Yeah, we know we just gave you another team an all, but uh... we're gonna need it back... and Tampa, too. Yeah, no team for you."

Bastards. And I maintain that Lockhardt Stadium is the greatest venue for a fan to watch a soccer match. Every seat is close (read: small stadium), none are obstructed, and the sounds of the game echo tremendously off all the concrete. Plus, no one went to Fusion games, so you could sit seemingly arm's length from the players. :cry: just thinking about it.

As for Freddy... well, I believe I've made my opinions known in the past, including this hot-ass graphic...

http://members.aol.com/danmanrajahwwf/freddy.jpg

MTR
May 9th, 2003, 10:44 AM
Wish I could have watched the game yesterday.

Tim Howard had five saves. We were just talking about him the other day in the English Football thread.

The US used all MLS players. Only like 4 of the starters were starters for the game against Mexico in the World Cup. And Mexico only used 2 starters from the game against the US in the World Cup.

Anyway the use of all MLS players and playing Mexico to a scoreless draw shows that MLS is not all bad. It still has a long way to go before it is great but it is not bad.

I think someone mentioned getting more foreign players for MLS. MLS does not want that really. They want the league to be majority Americans. They do go out and pick up foreign players but there is a limit to the number on each roster and the number they can play on the field at the same time.

Magnus Barelegs
May 10th, 2003, 10:31 AM
Are Maurice Johnston and John Spencer still kicking about over there.

I know Johnston was at Kansas City Wiz for a while, I may have read something about him becoming their coach?

I think think Spencer is over there too, no idea where - I may well be talking out of my arse.

Oh, is Valderama still playing?

MTR
May 10th, 2003, 11:05 AM
Only stuff I could find on Johnston was stuff from Europe. I did not see anything about him playing MLS or coaching in MLS. But I am having trouble find stuff on Valderama as well.

Spencer is still playing and here is a link to his bio:

http://www.mlsnet.com/bios/john_spencer.html

I don't think Valderama is playing MLS anymore. His team was eliminated when the took the teams from Florida and I am not sure if he went to another team or just left the league. He was one of the top players. Going to keep digging.

edit: Valderama is not on a roster so he must have left to go elsewhere.

Percussion
May 11th, 2003, 11:18 PM
In terms of the future of the U.S. National Team, how would you rank the following young stars?

Landon Donovon

Demarcus Beasley

Clint Mathis

Bobby Convey

John O'Brien

For me:

1. Bobby Convey - Freddy Adu aside, no ones future is brighter in U.S. soccer.
2. Demarcus Beasley - A healthy mean-streak puts him just a hair above Donovon in my book.
3. Landon Donovon - What hasn't been said already.
4. John O'Brien - A younger, more polished Chris Armas.
5. Clint Mathis - Too bad about his work habits.

Dan The Man
May 12th, 2003, 12:09 AM
Donovan - THE face of US soccer, and deservedly so...
O'Brien - Showed at the Cup why Ajax signed him...
Convey - Unfortunately, one of the few US players who act like they're excited to play every time they touch the field...
Beasley - still not sold on him as anything but legs...
Mathis - a hard shot and a bad attitude; negatives outweigh the positives...

Magnus Barelegs
May 12th, 2003, 10:51 AM
Wow, looks like Spenno made quite an impact over there.

How good is the football on show? Do you see enough european football to give an idea of what level the league is at?

MTR
May 13th, 2003, 9:12 AM
Unless you have a satalite or something like that you do not get to watch much European football. If you have just cable then you just have to watch for listings and see if you catch anything on one of the ESPN channels or sometimes one of the Fox channels. I have not seen a game from Europe in forever.

Now as far as ranking those players.

Donovan-Right now he is really the man of US soccer and needs to run with it.

O'Brian- Looking for good things to come from him.

Convey- Name does not sound familiar for some reason.

Beasley- Good talent but nothing great unless he manages to head over to Europe and then maybe.

Mathis- Good talent but could be way better.

Moz
May 18th, 2003, 12:45 PM
Utd close in on US superkid
Manchester United will use their pre-season tour of the USA to stake their claim for an American superkid who was making fools out of seasoned professionals before he was a teenager. Freddy Adu is being touted as the player who will become Uncle Sam's first superstar after excelling for the Under-17s last year against MLS Champions San Jose Earthquakes when he was just 12. United have contacted Adu's uncle - former Leeds United striker Tony Yeboah - about the possibility of him being a special guest of the club at one of their matches when they go stateside.
Simon Mullock, Sunday Mirror

Ohhhhh hell yeaaah.

I think it's the best thing possible for US soccer, if Adu comes to United. Are we the most famous European club over there in the states?

maxx powerz
May 19th, 2003, 6:58 PM
Its the best thing for US Soccer if our top players play on teams that we can see. Manchester is known by soccer fans here in the States as the "Yankees of soccer". So yeah, they are probably the most well known team here. Probably them and Real Madrid. And playing for Manchester will be good for Adu, and his family. And to the talent of the US team. Cause obviously, playing for Manchester is going to improve his skill. But for the popularity of the sport here in the US, losing our top players to European clubs isn't going to get people to come out to games, and watch on TV. That's why Landon convincing his club to let him stay here was such a huge boost for US soccer. And although I can't imagine him staying here forever, I really think Adu should spend a good couple of years in MLS before bolting for greener pastures. Unlikely, as he'll probably only spend a year at the most in MLS, if he's as good as advertised. But I'd still like to see him hang around a while.

And who knows, maybe he can avoid getting one of those dorky English accents like Friedel has :D

Dan The Man
May 19th, 2003, 7:53 PM
Well my hope, an illogical one of course but a hope all the same, is that if the signing gets enough press, someone (ie. ESPN, ESPN2, Fox Sports World, etc) would strike a tv deal. Best of both worlds and all.

As for knowledge of Man U, the saying goes "Man U is the world's most popular club; Real Madrid is the most talented." At least, I think that's a saying...

PS: Everyone see the kid on the U-23 team get like a 70+ yard goal after Mexico brought their goalie up for a free kick in stoppage time? So awesome :yes::yes::yes:

Moz
May 19th, 2003, 8:00 PM
If we do sign him or any other team does, he'll stay in America for a couple of years at least. Just so he's used to play a couple of season's at first-team level, then when he moves he'll slowly be taken into the first team football.

If he's that good, he'll have no problem adjusting.

Anyway, his success and then a tv deal for whatever team he plays in, and if he does well more people are going to take up the sport and then a process is created.

Just out of curioisty, who's the top earner in the MLS? And whats the average yearly/weekly wage for a player?

Dan The Man
May 19th, 2003, 8:11 PM
I know when the two Florida teams were destroyed, there was a big argument about the financial side of MLS.

Basically, no one knows but the league officials. Hardly any details are ever given about a team, let alone specific players. If I remember correctly, each team is supposed to have a $1.7 million salary cap. But the thing was, it was widely believed that some stars were making close to $1million on their own, even though the league maximum is supposedly like $300,000 or something.

It's one of the least friendly aspects of the MLS from a fan's point of view, and one of the most confusing.

Bottom line: don't ask.

Moz
May 19th, 2003, 8:18 PM
I've learned my lesson... :scared:

Oh and that saying about Manchester United/Real Madrid, if it wasn't a saying before, it should be. :yes:

Seanny One Ball
May 20th, 2003, 10:55 AM
Freddy Adu is the nephew of Tony Yeboah??!?!?

Why isn't he Ghanian then?
I'm sure Ghana could use a football whizzkid to spice up their national game :chin:

Ach well, lets hope the poor kid doesn't move to a crappy European club and bury his career, briefly appearing in World Cups to show slight hints of quality.
It happened to Denilson....

s-pac
May 20th, 2003, 1:14 PM
He left Ghana when he was 8, his mother won an immigration lottery. He is Ghanian.

He wont attain US ciitzenship till later this year.

MTR
May 21st, 2003, 1:03 PM
Are you sure he does not already have citizenship? He is playing for one of the national teams already and I don't think you can do that unless you are a citizen.

I think Adu should head to Europe when he turns pro. I would love to see him stay in MLS but I think it would be better if he went to Europe for a bit and played for the national team.

Magnus Barelegs
May 21st, 2003, 1:45 PM
His best bet at this stage in his career would be to go to one of Liverpool or Man Utd, they have brought quite a few players through their Youth Systems that are now first team regulars.

s-pac
May 21st, 2003, 3:44 PM
It was early march when I heard about the citizenship thing so he may have by now, not sure if he'll need it though to play for the U-17.

He already knocked back 750,000 to head to Inter, so I don't see him leaving the States just yet so Man U will have to wait a few years I think. I think the United States will do a good job grooming him into possibly the finest player to ever play maybe.

Magnus Barelegs
May 21st, 2003, 3:50 PM
When does the US Season run from?

It could be plausible that he spends time in both countries playing for a team in the MLS and training with a European club

maxx powerz
May 24th, 2003, 10:08 AM
Shit, I fucking hate ABC/ESPN. As if it wasn't shit enough that they only show one game a week. Now cause of the fucking softball world series, that one game a week is taped and shown at 1 Am. What bastards, I wish MLS would move to NBC. I mean hell, NBC is so dry that they are showing arena football now, they'd have to be willing to give MLS better coverage than its getting now.

MTR
May 24th, 2003, 10:22 AM
MLS started in April and goes through August or something I think. Some of the clubs play in tournaments in other parts of the year. Not sure when the smaller US leagues play though. I am sure around the same time frame.

MLS gets shit coverage. I never get to watch it.

s-pac
May 27th, 2003, 6:11 PM
Adu's signed a $1million deal with Nike......

http://www.soccer365.com/US_NEWS/National_Teams/page_91_52287.shtml

aenima
May 27th, 2003, 6:17 PM
Off to Man United he goes then.

Moz
May 27th, 2003, 7:12 PM
Could be Inter as well... or Barcelona...

...nah, we're Nike's flagship team along with Brazil. So wooop.

And we have to wait a year to sign him, shit he's gonna play at the Olympics at 14/15. Whoa.

So from the reports over there, are United favourite to sign Adu?

Oh and it seems likely we'll sign Tim Howard for $3 million in a couple of weeks. He's got a Hungarian passport so he can get a Work Permit and since we're probably selling our first two keepers or at least one of them - he'll be first choice in not too long. And if he's first choice here, you can bet your hog he's gonna be No. 1 for the national team.

The MetroStars general manager was pissed at the British press for building up his Tourette's too much...

I reckon all this (tour, players) is leading us to conquer the US in terms of the merchandising and all round being the team that the US admires the most.

Crazy_Vasey
May 27th, 2003, 7:34 PM
No way is Howard gonna displace Friedel no matter how many games he plays for Man Utd. Not gonna happen.

Dan The Man
May 27th, 2003, 7:44 PM
Yeah, until Friedel has to use a wheelchair, he'll be #1... hell, I doubt he'll displace Keller as 2...

PS: US 2-0 Wales... Landon was *this close* to a hat trick last night :heart:

Moz
May 27th, 2003, 8:04 PM
You never know...

... probably not but dammit we can't have the third choice US goalie as our first choice, that's just wrong!

Dan The Man
May 27th, 2003, 9:12 PM
This time last year, Howard was sitting at home, as Meola was taken to Korea as the 3rd keeper.

Looks like ManU is getting a ManWho? :D

/me is witty.

Moz
May 27th, 2003, 9:32 PM
:squint:

More like ManF******Who?

MTR
May 31st, 2003, 1:38 PM
Howard is the top keeper in MLS. Granted he is number three for the national team but Man. U will be getting a good keeper in him.

The roster for the national team's trip to the Confederations Cup has been announced. Here is a link:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=268689&cc=5901

Dan The Man
June 2nd, 2003, 6:47 PM
Freddy turned 14 today...

SportsCenter has a piece on him... video of him in a scrimmage against what looks like the Burn when he was 12: sick. First time I've heard him speak. He's got the personality to back up his skill. He's definately got what it takes to be a star on and off the field.

PS: The development center in Florida that he lives in now has him on track academically to graduate highschool next year. Not that college is in the picture, but still... it's nice to know he's not dumb.

Moz
June 2nd, 2003, 6:55 PM
I have a hard time believing he's only 14...

... have they done tests or anything?

Dan The Man
June 2nd, 2003, 7:01 PM
Well he's not a tree or a fossil, man... I don't know what tests can be done.

But really, I wonder how hard it would be for you to believe if he were, oh I don't know, English.

Moz
June 2nd, 2003, 7:31 PM
I think bone testing... or something.

It speculated his age in one of the Sunday papers, and you never know with immigrantss... and I'd be as sceptical if he was an immigrant in Britian.

Anyway, as long as one day he puts on a United shirt, I'd forget with this willy nilly.

Smell It?
June 5th, 2003, 6:41 AM
Celtic have first option on him.

Moz
June 5th, 2003, 6:51 AM
ignore...

Moz
June 5th, 2003, 6:51 AM
And Zidane as well.

MTR
June 19th, 2003, 11:48 AM
US opens up Confederations Cup shortly against Turkey.

Go USA!

Doink
June 19th, 2003, 11:54 AM
looking forward to this game, i have an invested interest to see turkey get thrashed, just to decrease morale

should be a good game as well, with brazil in the same group they will both need a win to get to the semi's
(they do have semi's right? first 2 from each group go through?)

MTR
June 19th, 2003, 11:59 AM
I am not sure how the Confederation's Cup is set up. But yeah US and Turkey really need a win here since they have to face Brazil later on.

edit: First place team from A plays second place team from B and then first place team from B plays second place team from A in semis.

MTR
June 19th, 2003, 1:47 PM
1-1 right now. US gave up a penalty kick and Turkey tied the game on it.

Donovan has an assist on the goal but got a yellow for talking back to the ref over the penalty kick.

edit: It is half now with the score 1-1.

Doink
June 19th, 2003, 1:58 PM
the US goal was a nice move but apart from that i think they've been pretty poor
their defense against turkeys 3 strikers has looked very unstable

the penalty was dodgy but i loved tim howards dancing on the line, not sure if he actually thought he was going to put him off

MTR
June 19th, 2003, 2:11 PM
Yeah I am just keeping track on the net and they said our defense is not all there but we are finding holes in theirs from time to time.

Doink
June 19th, 2003, 2:29 PM
very nice goal by turkey, it'd been coming for quite a while
can't see any way back into this for american now

MTR
June 19th, 2003, 2:31 PM
Don't count us out yet. Now if they take a two goal lead though....

MTR
June 19th, 2003, 3:20 PM
Well Howard has some work to do but considering that this was only his 7th appearence for the team not to bad.

The US is going to have to beat Cameroon though and probably tie or beat(yeah right)Brazil to have a chance of advancing.

Burv
June 19th, 2003, 4:47 PM
Freddy turned 14 today...

SportsCenter has a piece on him... video of him in a scrimmage against what looks like the Burn when he was 12: sick.

Eh?

Moz
June 19th, 2003, 5:35 PM
Do Five only show the highlights?

MTR
June 21st, 2003, 3:37 PM
Damn. US men playing Brazil and the damn stat tracker is not working.

edit: It is working now. Brazil is up 1-0 at half. Guess it could be worse.

Both teams need a win after losing their first matches.

Cameroon looks like a lock to advance with two wins now.

MTR
June 21st, 2003, 5:11 PM
Shit. US lost 1-0 to Brazil. US has one game left but they are not moving past group play.

Moz
June 21st, 2003, 10:39 PM
Howard made some cracking saves. Very smart keeper.

Cameroon and France have definitely qualified for the semi-finals. And now it's between Columbia and Japan to progress from Group A. They play each other tomorrow. And from Group B, the match between Turkey and Brazil will decide who joins Cameroon in the semi-finals.

maxx powerz
June 22nd, 2003, 10:54 AM
What a fucking pathetic display. We just lost most of our momentum from the World Cup by getting bitch-slapped in the Confeds Cup. Now we basically have to start over again. For fuck's sake, either suck, or do good. I wish they'd knock off the wishy washy BS that gives you hope, only to let you down. I get enough of that rooting for Philly teams.

Dan The Man
June 22nd, 2003, 11:24 AM
Dude, calm down. First of all, no one in the world gives a fuck about this tournament. Hence the reason Arena basically said "Oh Brad, we don't care about this as much as we do about qualifying for actual tournaments, so don't even worry about coming." Hence the reason that, of the starters that lost to Germany in the final match at the Cup, only four started against Turkey. Hence the reason World Cup Champions Brazil lost to Cameroon.

We could have won every game 3-0 and no one in the world would look at us any better. It just would have been "Yeah, they do well when no one brings their best, but they'll never win a World Cup."

PS: "either suck or do good"? Every team loses, even Brazil, and we're not good enough "do good" regularly with the team that went to the Confederation's Cup.

maxx powerz
June 23rd, 2003, 12:21 AM
Its just tough to defend MLS when our MLS roster puts in this kind of performance.

Moz
June 23rd, 2003, 5:31 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Turkey knocked out Brazil.

Turkey to win.

MTR
July 12th, 2003, 11:07 AM
What the hell? I went to see when the game was today and who was covering it and it is not being covered on any fucking stations I get.

We are defending our Gold Cup title here in the states and we can not even get ESPN or ABC who normally cover games for us to cover the damn game. There is no NBA right now. There is no NFL right now. There is no NHL right now. Just auto racing, MLB, golf, MLS, and tennis give or take some other minor sports and they can not cover the fucking game.

How is the US supposed to get support for their team if they can not get good national coverage of their games?

Moz
July 12th, 2003, 11:23 AM
What the hell? I went to see when the game was today and who was covering it and it is not being covered on any fucking stations I get.

We are defending our Gold Cup title here in the states and we can not even get ESPN or ABC who normally cover games for us to cover the damn game. There is no NBA right now. There is no NFL right now. There is no NHL right now. Just auto racing, MLB, golf, MLS, and tennis give or take some other minor sports and they can not cover the fucking game.

How is the US supposed to get support for their team if they can not get good national coverage of their games?
A nude calendar.

MTR
July 12th, 2003, 11:35 AM
:lol:

I needed that. Thanks. :yes:

Dan The Man
July 13th, 2003, 3:38 PM
Indeed. Yesterday was quite maddening when it came to finding the game not televised. And not just not televised; I don't even get the channel that has the next-day replay! And once again MatchTracker didn't work either. Philips might want to drop its sponsorship, because I now equate their stuff with the never-working MatchTracker.

But on the upside, a supposedly strong 2-0 victory, which means we just have to draw against the powerhouse known as Martinique to win the group.

But on the downside, the awesome Canadian upset of Costa Rica could end up hurting us, as we play the second place team out of that group, which may well now end up being Costa. I don't care if Canada did beat them, I'd still rather play the Canucks.

God they're bad. :lol:

Burv
July 13th, 2003, 3:49 PM
2-0 over El Salvador is hardly something to be proud of... should have pissed all over them. Mind you, drawing 1-1 with Macedonia is nothing to shout about, either. :$

Dan The Man
July 13th, 2003, 9:25 PM
Yet another brilliant Brit post in this thread...

Anyway. Guess who has tickets to one of the semi-final games.

No. No. Yes, me.

That's right, tickets to what will likely be US vs Brazil or Mexico. Sure, technically it could be Canada vs. Guatemala, but we won't think about that.

PS: US women 1-0 Brazil... but no one cares about chick soccer, so whatever...

El Capitano Gatisto
July 13th, 2003, 9:28 PM
I see Tim Howard is completing his move to Manchester United this week.

Is he really that good, or is it a cynical marketing ploy to break the lucrative American market?

Dan The Man
July 13th, 2003, 9:38 PM
I think it's a bad move. But then, he didn't get much time in high-profile games, because there's no way he's better than Friedel or Keller. I mean, he hasn't even been the third keeper for that long. It was Meola for a while, then a couple guys like Zach Thornton in the first few MLS years, then Meola again for the Cup.

That said, he looked really good against El Salvador, and I'm sure ManU has spent more time watching him than I have.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 13th, 2003, 9:48 PM
Yeah but they'd be pretty desperate to gain a merchandising foothold in the US. As long as he is decent, or even quite good, they could attempt to market him. Funny it coincides with a tour in the US this summer.

Dan The Man
July 13th, 2003, 9:59 PM
I guess. I mean, it's ManU, and everything I know about them is that they're marketing machines. It's just that, there's a good number (ie. more than one) of Americans already playing in Europe, including our top two keepers and our national team captain. I'd have to think they're all more marketable than Howard.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 13th, 2003, 10:04 PM
Maybe, but at £1.8 million, a potentially good to great goalkeeper is a snip (he is only 24). United already have 3 decent to good goalies.

United are a business as well as a sporting team. I mean, part of the whole Ronaldinho thing is his marketability in Asia, and his status as the face of Nike.

MTR
July 14th, 2003, 1:23 PM
Howard is the top keeper in MLS according to many so he can't be all bad. He has done well in the few matches he has played for the US. He is not the top keeper for the US but he is still talented. I am sure Man U sees marketing abilities and talent in him.

The Brothers Grimm
July 14th, 2003, 1:53 PM
Howard is not the number one US Goalkeeper, but that is due in part to the fact Friedel is the best Keeper in the World. :shifty:

Dan The Man
July 15th, 2003, 4:24 PM
Tremendous insight.

Anyway, 2-0 to the Champions, clinching top spot in Group C (ooh that was unexpected).

PS: I'm going to be five rows back for what will almost certainly be US vs. Mexico. OMG. Thankfully Mexico beat Brazil (on a really sweet header) so that I won't have to see the US play a Brazilian team that has nothing to play for and a roster that shows it.

Five rows from Landon. OMG. I'm gonna faint and blame it on the heat.

Burv
July 15th, 2003, 4:27 PM
Yet another brilliant Brit post in this thread...

What's the supposed to mean? El Salvador are minnows; USA are apparantly top 10...

MTR
July 15th, 2003, 4:30 PM
You so suck Dan. Just thought I would share.

MTR
July 19th, 2003, 4:44 PM
Damn the US is kicking the shit out of Cuba and Donovan has 4 goals.

Dan The Man
July 23rd, 2003, 11:57 AM
US vs. Brazil in the semis tonight.

Oh, and I'll be there, fifth row back.

Just thought I'd let you all (read: MTR) know.

Again.

:D

You are my Landon, my only Landon!
You make me happy when skies are grey!
We have Clint Mathis, but he's an asshole!
Please don't take my Landon away!

OMG. Most worthless post ever.

MTR
July 23rd, 2003, 12:00 PM
YOU SUCK!

In case you missed it like the first fifty times I have said that since telling me you were going to the game.

Is it on tv?

Dan The Man
July 23rd, 2003, 12:14 PM
I think Galavision. What the fuck? Seriously, it's summer; baseball is the only sport on. ESPN is so thin they're showing the Great Outdoor Games and SportsCenter twenty times a day. You'd think they'd look at the ratings the World Cup got and figure "we've got nothing to lose" and show the entire Gold Cup. But nooooo. It gets picked up by some channel no one has heard of and no one gets.

Seriously, what the fuck?

MTR
July 23rd, 2003, 12:16 PM
Ugh. I do not get Galavision. I got to watch the Mexico/Jamiaca match the other day though on the spanish channel I get. :)

I know it sucks. ESPN should have covered the tournament.

Simon
July 23rd, 2003, 1:50 PM
This Adu guy looks like a legend already...Futbol Mundial had a thing about American football and they showed a goal he scored for a schoolboy USA side (might have been U-17s...?), went past a load of players and drilled it in, quality.

Howard has a decent reputation as well.

USA are in the top ten in the world, aren't they?

MTR
July 23rd, 2003, 2:38 PM
I think we are tied for 10th or something like that.

I am anxious to see Adu move to the Men's National team and be up there with Donovan.

Simon
July 23rd, 2003, 2:42 PM
At 13? And I thought the English were being hard on Rooney!

What's the highest level Adu has played for USA at? I know he reached the U17s, did he get any higher, like U19s or U21s?

da_man
July 23rd, 2003, 3:09 PM
The mighty Blackburn take on some chumps called DC United tonight.

8-0 to the rampant Rovers. Yorke with all 8. :yes:

MTR
July 23rd, 2003, 3:11 PM
Well he is not moving up yet or anything. I just can't wait until he is older and does move up. They expect him to join MLS at 15 when he graduates high school. So really after that we move up to the national team. Not sure what level is playing on now for the US though.

Simon
July 23rd, 2003, 3:13 PM
Physically he's probably capable, he's big, strong and very fast...but mentally, a 15 year old surely can't handle a full season of professional football? He must be a really incredible talent.

MTR
July 23rd, 2003, 3:20 PM
We have had some 16 year olds play in MLS. They were not starters or but they played as reserves. I am sure it will be the same for him. But then again people think he is the next big thing in soccer so who knows.

Dan The Man
July 23rd, 2003, 3:56 PM
He starts for the U-17 team currently. Last I saw of the team, they performed sub-par at some tournament in Korea which was a combination World Cup anniversary and tune-up for the U-17 World Championships.

PS: If it makes you feel any better, JMil, it would appear it's going to storm like crazy all day and well into the night. So I'll be sitting in a very wet seat in the pouring rain...in the fifth row.

MTR
July 23rd, 2003, 4:42 PM
You still suck though. I would still love to go rain or shine. Hell I have almost frozen to death at a Ole Miss football game.

Dan The Man
July 24th, 2003, 12:46 AM
OMG. Let's pretend that game never happened.

MTR
July 24th, 2003, 8:55 AM
How bad was it? I have not seen a score yet.

Edit: Just read about it. Heartbreaker for the US. They said the Brazilian goal to tie it was offsides though. Oh well. Bad thing is that it was the U-23 team for Brazil and the only guy with World Cup experience was one of the guys that scored. Now the winner of the other semi-final will go to the Confederations Cup in 2005.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 24th, 2003, 5:38 PM
Physically he's probably capable, he's big, strong and very fast...but mentally, a 15 year old surely can't handle a full season of professional football? He must be a really incredible talent.

There are questions over his real age.

He might look good at 13, 14 whatever, but that doesn't mean he'll follow on to be brilliant at senior level.

I'd come up with a similar example of a gifted 13 year old, but I forget the guys name. He used to be on Fantasy Football ages ago, and they did documentaries about him going on trials on Ajax and being brilliant. Can't remember his name though, because he's a nobody.

aenima
July 24th, 2003, 5:49 PM
Sunny something. Little wanker with shit hair.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 24th, 2003, 7:46 PM
That's the dick. Where is he now?

No one knows. Even the kid who did the MacDonald's ads at least made it with Charlton.

SO Freddy Adu could be an 18 year old posing as 13, and even if he is 13, we have to wait and see how could he'll be.

Personally, I think you have to realise that there is a huge step up from U17 to even U21. I mean, Ireland had one of the best Youth teams around for a while there.

Moz
July 24th, 2003, 7:50 PM
How bad was it? I have not seen a score yet.

Edit: Just read about it. Heartbreaker for the US. They said the Brazilian goal to tie it was offsides though. Oh well. Bad thing is that it was the U-23 team for Brazil and the only guy with World Cup experience was one of the guys that scored. Now the winner of the other semi-final will go to the Confederations Cup in 2005.
Kaka, the dude that scored, never played in the World Cup. He was picked for the squad but never played.

In the previous round did anyone see his goal where he went past two/three players and then curled it wround the goalie. Top stuff.

lies about
July 24th, 2003, 8:43 PM
I saw Kaka's superb strike

Kaka, Diego, Robinho...the future of world football

Dan The Man
July 24th, 2003, 10:14 PM
Robinho, my god... during warm-ups I was like "If I didn't know this was an U-23 team, I'd think one of the players brought his kid." Then the wee one starts and I'm like :shocked:. He's like a really tan Leetah :shifty:

PS: Word has it Ewerthon should have been called offside before taking the shot the bounced off Keller to Kaka for the tie.

PPS: McBride fractured his orbital... Good, I say. If he was just cut or something and made Arena bring Mathis in, I'd be pissed. That was the turning point, even though it came while it was still 0-0... Mathis sucked hard all game, just as he has his entire career with the National Team. I don't give a fuck if you're good in MLS; he's been horrible in every US game I've seen. And yet he gets huge cheers for no reason. Don't make Bruce think he's good, you bastards. Argh. All problems in the world can be traced back to Clint Mathis. Fucking Mathis.

MTR
July 26th, 2003, 2:28 PM
I am confused now. After the semis all reports said that Mexico would move on to the Confederations Cup in 2005 win or lose against Brazil in the Gold Cup final since Brazil was an invited guest.

Now they are saying if Brazil wins then Mexico must play the winner of the third place game between the US and Costa Rica to determine who goes the Confederations Cup.

They need to make up their mind. :mad:

Granted I am glad that US still has a chance to be the CONCACAF champion despite not winning the tournament. :)

JIJ
July 26th, 2003, 3:24 PM
What exactly is this Gold Cup?

Is it bigger or smaller than the Copa America, or is it the same thing?

MTR
July 26th, 2003, 3:30 PM
It is the tournament to crown the CONCACAF Champion. Same thing as Copa America.

Basically the top teams in CONCACAF plus a couple invited guests play a tournament to crown a CONCACAF champion.

US won it last year and lost to Brazil in the semis this year in OT. Brazil plays Mexico in the tournament final while we play Costa Rica(and former coach) in the third place game.

Burv
July 26th, 2003, 3:33 PM
Isn't Copa America the club championships, like the Champions League? :confused:

aenima
July 26th, 2003, 3:36 PM
Nah, that's the Copa Libertadores.

I think.

MTR
July 26th, 2003, 3:37 PM
I thought that but the other day when I was actually watching a Gold Cup game between Mexico and someone in the quarters on the spanish channel they kept flashing a Copa America logo.

Burv
July 26th, 2003, 3:38 PM
Yep, I think Sam's right. :yes:

JIJ
July 26th, 2003, 3:49 PM
So Copa America's just for the countries in the CONMEBOL federation?

Dan The Man
July 26th, 2003, 4:47 PM
Yeah, Copa America is the CONMEBOL championship.
Gold Cup is CONCACAF.
U.S. Open Cup is the North American club tourny.
Nike U.S. Cup is just US Soccer's annual invitation tourny.

I believe that's all of them.

MTR
July 26th, 2003, 4:50 PM
What Dan said right after I go looking around trying to sort it all out.

Copa America does invite guests from CONCACAF like the Gold Cup invites guests from CONMENBOL.

Moz
July 26th, 2003, 5:16 PM
I do believe Japan played in a Copa America. So I guess it's open to Asia as well.

MTR
July 26th, 2003, 5:21 PM
Okay so maybe the extend out further then.

Anyway I went to the official CONCACAF site to see what the deal is with the championship.

If Mexico beats Brazil then they are champs.

If Mexico loses to Brazil and we lose to Costa Rica in the third place game, Mexico are the champs.

If Mexico loses to Brazil and we win the third place game then Mexico and the US have to play a game a later date to determine the CONCACAF Champions.

Kind of confusing but it makes sense that we still have a shot at the title since we were knocked out by a invited guest.

Burv
July 26th, 2003, 5:23 PM
Which begs the question... why invite countries outside of the continent? Europe doesn't invite Nigeria over for the summer, so why does North America do so for Brazil? Mind you, Europe has 50+ teams...

MTR
July 26th, 2003, 5:27 PM
Probably for money and probably to make things a little more interesting. If you don't bring Brazil or other teams in periodically you get the same old match ups year after year. The US actually got its first and only win over Brazil in the Gold Cup back in 1999.

JIJ
July 26th, 2003, 7:04 PM
Two questions....

Why invite them if they can't win?

How is it decided who to invite?

Dan The Man
July 27th, 2003, 1:14 AM
You invite them to make the tournament more prestigious. You invite them because the only way to get better is to compete against the best. You can win fifty tournaments a year against the Mozambique's and Canada's of the world, but where does it get you? Nowhere. By the same token, the teams accept the invite for the same reasons. For example, the Brazilian team that entered the tournament this year is basically the team that Brazil will send to the Olympics. This is their training.

Plus, on the realistic side of things, the federation wants to make money. There's no way you're going to draw almost 40,000 at the Orange Bowl despite local television broadcasting the game if you're showcasing US vs. Canada. Let's face it, the majority of soccer fans in America are not American, or at least hold their heritage very highly. A team like Brazil brings thousands of fans, not to mention draws the Americans and other casual fans who want to see the world's best. If you have a tournament with a bunch of losers, you're going to draw far far fewer fans than this year's tournament has and will draw. A tourny like Euro 2004 doesn't have to worry about that, because of the quality of the entrants and the relative nearness of the entrants. When you've got a federation made up of around twenty countries total, only three of which aren't seperated by water, fans are a bit of a problem.

Burv
July 27th, 2003, 6:33 AM
Especially when it's North America and Football isn't the top sport in North America.

Dan The Man
August 13th, 2003, 6:15 PM
Couldn't bear to let this drop off the first page...

Convey signs with Tottenham. Great move. Convey has become a great compliment to Eddie Lewis already, and is young enough that this can really help him. Probably the best choice of National Team MLS players to go overseas.

U-17 Championships started; US plays tomorrow. New house has satellite which has Galavision on it, so I can finally watch some soccer. Very much looking forward to seeing Adu in motion. Not sure how much success US will have, seeing as Korea took it to us 3-0 a few months ago.

Triple-X
August 13th, 2003, 6:19 PM
Couldn't bear to let this drop off the first page...

Convey signs with Tottenham. Great move.

You have obviously no idea who Tottenham are, do you.

The poor little bugger will probably injure himself in a freak training accident with Darren Anderton, causing him to break his leg. In a moment of Tottenham physio genius he will be told to run it off.

....yes, the tottenham team are probably the most injury prone about, on account of them hiring their physios from Burger King. And yes, they did actually tell a player to run a broken leg off :nono:.

MTR
August 14th, 2003, 9:24 AM
I think Convey to Tottenham is a good move as well. I brought this up in the English Football thread but the discussion did not go far before they all start arguing over who has the best team and all that for the upteenth time.

N.E.R.F.
August 14th, 2003, 9:29 AM
Would I be right in thinking Convey's an attacker? If so, I think that Spurs isn't the right club for him. They've got Keane, Kanoute, Postiga and Zamora, so Convey would very rarely get a chance in the first team.

Plus, well, you know... it's Tottenham

MTR
August 14th, 2003, 10:03 AM
He is a creative midfielder. He does not score a lot of goals. He helps create chances. I do not expect him to be a starter right off the bat but maybe down the line though. He has played in almost every national team game this year and he starts for the team he is leaving in MLS.

N.E.R.F.
August 14th, 2003, 10:05 AM
Ah right then. Just the fact that he was the youngest ever MLS scorer made me assume he was a striker. I suppose that with Poyet out for Spurs there is a much greater chance of him getting a game or two and hopefully impressing. Hey, he could even save Hoddle's job.

P.S. I got in the main event! :D

MTR
August 14th, 2003, 10:11 AM
Main event? What's up with that? Just kidding. Way to go.

Sorry for any confusion on his position. He was in his second season before he scored that goal by the way. He has played for MLS for 4 years since he was 16. He only has like 7 or 8 goals.

I hope he gets some action. They were impressed with him after playing some matches against his MLS team this spring so maybe they are looking to put him some and see how he does.

MTR
August 15th, 2003, 9:35 AM
Adu had a hat trick yesterday for the U-17 team in the U-17 World Championships.

Moz
August 15th, 2003, 9:39 AM
MTR, any idea o who Kenny Cooper Jr. is, what type of striker he is etc.

MTR
August 15th, 2003, 10:30 AM
I don't think I have heard that name. Let me look around and get back to you on that.

Dan The Man
August 15th, 2003, 10:53 AM
OMG Adu.

First goal was everything you expect from the hype. Splits three defensemen, gets the keeper to come out, easily dodges the keeper and just slots it in net.

Second half he was marked close and hard and it looked like it frustrated him to no end.

Lots of good looking kids on that team, but Adu? 14? :drool:

MTR
August 15th, 2003, 11:14 AM
I found this article on Cooper from a Dallas paper. But all I can tell you.

Boys soccer player of the year
04/13/2003

By TODD BOYD / The Dallas Morning News

Kenny Cooper, Jesuit
Senior, Forward

Kicking out of the shadow cast by his father has never been a problem for Jesuit's Kenny Cooper.

Sometimes, when Ken Cooper Jr. meets people, they ask if he is kin to the Ken Cooper who played goalie for the Dallas Tornado and coached the Baltimore Blast.

"I love it," Cooper said. "It is great that people recognize the name."

The next obvious question is why the younger Cooper doesn't play the position at which his father excelled?

"I never wanted to be a goalkeeper," Cooper said. "It is much more fun scoring goals than trying to stop them."

The SMU signee finished his high school career with 13 goals for Jesuit (13-0-2). He scored goals in victories over the area's best teams: Lake Highlands, Coppell, Duncanville and Richardson Pearce.

After a trip to England two years ago, Cooper was offered three academy contracts.

"I thought it best to come back and get my high school degree," Cooper said. "Going to SMU and playing will be even better. I have no regrets."

Notable: Finished with 13 goals in 15 games. Signed with SMU.

If you could be anyone for one day, who would it be? "Ken Cooper Sr. He is a great person and a great father and has all the values I strive to have."

Moz
August 15th, 2003, 11:24 AM
Well United have offered him a contract. It's United or go to college.

MTR
August 15th, 2003, 11:37 AM
Interesting. Seems like he wants to head to SMU accorrding to the article I found but really when it comes down to it I think especially in soccer it is better take a pro contract and skip college. The NCAA level of play is not that great really.

MTR
August 22nd, 2003, 11:58 AM
Looks like Reyna will be signing with Fulman and get back into the Premiership.

MTR
August 22nd, 2003, 5:35 PM
Looks like Adu may be pro soon.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=274617&cc=5901

MTR
August 24th, 2003, 5:00 PM
Well I am sitting here watching the WUSA Founders Cup III. I am enjoying the game a lot. It is 1-1 at half. Granted I think the PK in stoppage time was a bad call but what can you do.

Washington Freedom vs. Atlanta Beat. Neither team has won the Founders Cup. Both have lost it and now one will win it.

Some US National Team members are on the field today and have missed camp heading towards the women's world cup. Hamm being the most noticable one.

I am going with Washington today though. I want to see Hamm win a Founders Cup.

MTR
August 24th, 2003, 6:27 PM
One hell of a game. OT win for the Freedom on the golden goal early right after the red card.

Damn that was a great game.

jesus sucks
August 27th, 2003, 8:01 PM
I hope the american networks show the champions league....

Because Newcastle United are out in the qualifying stage they're subbish ahahah. Tune in and see, what fox sports or something. Its great. Laugh with me.

MTR
August 28th, 2003, 12:40 PM
Do you have to gay up my thread?

I think you can catch games if you have satelite or digital cable.

s-pac
August 29th, 2003, 2:32 PM
Theres a pretty interesting article in this months World Soccer about the MLS.

da_man
August 29th, 2003, 4:39 PM
The young American lad failed to secure the work permit necessary to sign for Tottenham.

Claudio Reyna has signed for Manchester City.

MTR
August 30th, 2003, 9:50 AM
That sucks Convey could not get a permit to work.

Nice to see Reyna back in the Premiership after his other team was knocked down to division 1.

jesus sucks
August 30th, 2003, 5:08 PM
Do you have to gay up my thread?

I think you can catch games if you have satelite or digital cable.

The fact they you consider laughing at a main rival team losing to an eastern european pub side and losing out on 20 million pounds something unfunny and gaying up the thread. Just shows the lack of passion that americans have in football, which is why you suck at it. I only asked if you people got the champions league, I recommended watching the newcastle match on whateevr network shows it over there becuase the American fans might enjoy it, I won't bother next time.

MTR
August 30th, 2003, 5:13 PM
Well if you knew shit about me you know that I am very passionate about soccer. Most people around here know that. You are a complete fool yet think you are fucking god of football knowledge. This thread is not about English football. You know where that thread is. This is about American football and really your post did not add a damn thing to that discussion. So I made a smart ass remark about it and answered your question at the same time.

RRG
September 5th, 2003, 10:12 PM
Ok right, I go over to America and I realise that everyone hates soccer, and I think to myself why, I can't understand why people could hate such a great game. Then I finally meet people who know about it and I ask if they know how John Spencer is doing in the MLS. "Yeah man he's setting the league alight".I looked up his stats there and that looks pretty accurate. "Perhaps the greatest Discovery Player to ever join the league," Ok, John Spencer was always a good nippy wee player but if he can make such an impact it must be a pretty shitty league. He couldn't even do that in his last stab at the SPL with Motherwell.

MTR
September 20th, 2003, 10:49 AM
The US women start defense of their world title tomorrow while the Women's World Cup opens up today.

The US is in a group of death having the 5th ranked and 7th ranked teams with them in their group. Should be fun to watch.

aenima
September 20th, 2003, 11:01 AM
Ok right, I go over to America and I realise that everyone hates soccer, and I think to myself why, I can't understand why people could hate such a great game. Then I finally meet people who know about it and I ask if they know how John Spencer is doing in the MLS. "Yeah man he's setting the league alight".I looked up his stats there and that looks pretty accurate. "Perhaps the greatest Discovery Player to ever join the league," Ok, John Spencer was always a good nippy wee player but if he can make such an impact it must be a pretty shitty league. He couldn't even do that in his last stab at the SPL with Motherwell.

I wouldn't have thought they get much exposure to top class football over there. The way some of them talk, it seems the majority of what they get to see is MLS, amateur teams and little kids playing kick and run in the park. None of which are particularly high in quality or entertainment.

MTR
September 20th, 2003, 11:10 AM
Well we don't get to watch much top notch games unless you have satellite or something. I have seen some great games from champions league and what not on a rare occasion on cable.

MLS is not the same quality but I have seen some good games there but I have seen some awful games that I have turned off as well. I love it when the World Cup comes around so I can see some good international games because well not all the friendlies we play are good games since the US sometimes plays shit teams.

Simon
September 20th, 2003, 3:26 PM
Anyone got any links to Freddy Adu videos? My mate wants to see his stuff :D

MTR
September 20th, 2003, 3:52 PM
Do a search and see what you can find or see if Dan knows any links.

MTR
October 31st, 2003, 10:32 AM
http://www.sportsline.com/soccer/story/6792763

Basically FIFA wants to do a World Club Championship. They did one in 2000 and want to do it again and do it every 2 years. European clubs are against it.

But this could be something good for the US especially if MLS is involved and has a good showing.

MTR
October 31st, 2003, 6:45 PM
WTF! US turned down an invitation to play in Copa American next year. Dumb move in my view. If they want to improve even more then they need to play top teams internationaly and well the South American teams are top teams for the most part.

Matt E
November 1st, 2003, 1:43 AM
Don't they play pretty weakened sides for this sorts of things or am I thinking of something else?

Shabba!
November 1st, 2003, 4:41 AM
The copa America is the South American equivilant of the European Championship so it is not really weakened sides. IMO the USA should have accepted the invitation to play in it but I am sure whoever made the decision has a good reason.

MTR
November 1st, 2003, 11:15 AM
As far as I know they don't play weakened sides for Copa America. The US has played in the tournament before I think. I am sure there was a reason but I still think it was a dumb move. We don't have WC qualifying until next June beacuse we don't have to play earlier rounds and I am sure that MLS could spare their players for a tournament like Copa America.

Now Brazil and Columbia or whoever we invite to the Gold Cup tends to send their U-23 or whatever teams to play us.

MTR
November 1st, 2003, 12:19 PM
Playoff time in MLS. They changed formats yet again this year. :rolleyes:

This time the first round is a home and home series with most goals scored wins and moves on to the next round. Most leagues that do this have a rule most goals scored away win if there is a tie. Well not in MLS because heaven forbid they do anything like the rest of the world. :rolleyes: Instead the second game goes into OT and then PKs if needed. Higher seeded team gets to play the second game at home giving them advantage if it goes to OT or even PKs.

The conference finals are just one game winner take all. And the MLS Cup is one game winner take all.

I have never undertood MLS and their playoffs. For a while it was best out of three every round except the MLS Cup which was just one game. Then they did this thing that the first time to five points won the round except for the MLS Cup.

Now they are doing something somewhat like other leagues do around the world only to not share the same tie breaker. Granted I have always hated that tie breaker. Personally I think that if it is tied after two games then a third game on neutral territory should be played.

And I have always hated just having the MLS Cup for the final. If you are going to play multiple games in the other rounds then play a home and home in that as well or something like that. Granted that comes from the American in me that is used to seeing finals of any sport be a best of 7 series for the most part except in on the college level.

Anyway the Galaxy had a terrible regular season after winning their first MLS Cup and barely made the playoffs but they hope to repeat so we will see. Personally I want to see San Jose and Donovan win.

Ringo
November 3rd, 2003, 8:36 AM
Ok, I have a question, why are The US ranked 12th in the world? I know that they are getting better and better and soon enough with Adu etc. coming through I think they could be up there with the big 5 from Europe and Argentina and Brazil. In a few years time. But where have I been these last few years, I havent really noticed the US do particuarly well, the World Cup last year for example. So why are they ranked 12th in the world?
Costa Rica are 19th as well, I dont know what thats about, but I spose thats for another time....

MTR
November 3rd, 2003, 9:18 AM
We were as high as 8 after the World Cup. But we have not played many friendlies and we did not do hot in the Federations Cup and lost the Gold Cup. I think top was too high but 12 is not bad we have done well the last few years.

Ringo
November 3rd, 2003, 10:36 AM
Yes, but are you better than Cameroon, Denmark, Portugal, Romania, Sweden, Ireland, Slovenia and Belgium, who are all ranke below you?

Ringo
November 3rd, 2003, 10:37 AM
Then again, we ARE ranked 6th.... That doesnt really make sense either.

Simon
November 3rd, 2003, 10:37 AM
Adu has said he wants to go to United... http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_football/3237303.stm

MTR
November 3rd, 2003, 11:05 AM
Well remember the FIFA rankings are based on a formula so you can easily argue some teams are better than others but the rankings do not reflect that. But also keep in mind part of the rankings is based on the last 2 or 3 World Cup performances on top of international tournament and friendlies and such. The US has gotten way better and have been some top teams and gone toe to toe with others and just came out on the losing in by a goal.

MTR
November 3rd, 2003, 11:07 AM
Adu has said he wants to go to United... http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_football/3237303.stm

Well he is probably going to end up spending time in MLS though but I would love to see him head over to the Premiership.

Ringo
November 3rd, 2003, 12:54 PM
Ahhhhhh yes... fair enough.

I think he will go to Real or Utd, seeing as he probably has the choice of going to any club in the world, and those two are the biggest, so that makes sense. Then again, we do have the cash to attract him..... But I dont see him coming to us.....

Dan The Man
November 18th, 2003, 1:35 PM
Report: Phenom will join D.C. United
ESPN.com news services
Fourteen-year-old soccer phenom Freddy Adu has signed a six-year contract with Major League Soccer and will play for D.C. United in 2004, according to a published report.

Sources told The Washington Post for Tuesday's editions that Adu, a Potomac, Md., resident, has elected to stay closer to home rather than accept more lucrative offers from top English clubs Manchester United and Chelsea.

The deal will be announced by the league Wednesday in New York, according to The Post's report. Financial terms of the contract were not available, but The Post reported that it might be worth several hundred thousand dollars per season

Adu, who emigrated from Ghana with his family in 1997 and received his U.S. citizenship this past summer, currently trains with the U.S. Under-17 national team in Bradenton, Fla. He scored several spectacular goals in the Under-17 World Championships in Finland during the summer.

Adu already has practiced with D.C. United on a number of occasions, and coach Ray Hudson told The Post that he believed Adu could already play in MLS.

"I have no doubt he would fit into any MLS team in any MLS game on any given Saturday," Hudson said in July. "He would fit in like a hand in a glove and not let you down."

Adu will be eligible for the Jan. 16 MLS draft, in which it is expected D.C. United will trade future considerations to the Dallas Burn in exchange for the Burn's No. 1 overall pick. D.C. will then select Adu, who reportedly made playing for the team a condition of signing with MLS. Adu is expected to join D.C. United in time for the 2004 season.

While Adu's contract is for six years, there is a significant chance that he will leave to join to a European team prior to the completion of the deal, which would allow MLS to receive a transfer fee for Adu's services. Players in MLS sign contracts with the league, not with individual teams.

With the deal, Adu could become the youngest athlete to play professional sports in more than a century. The MLS season starts in April -- almost two months shy of Adu's 15th birthday on June 2. Fred Chapman made his Major League Baseball debut in 1887 at 14 years, seven months and 29 days, according to The Post.

Adu received his first professional offer from Italian powerhouse Inter Milan when he was 11, but his family rejected the deal in an attempt to maintain some semblance of a normal childhood for the prodigy.

Eat it, you limey bastards.

*buys six years worth of Metrostars vs. United tickets*

MTR
November 18th, 2003, 1:42 PM
He won't stay for six years. MLS will loan him out at some point. But I could be wrong.

da_man
November 18th, 2003, 3:12 PM
Smart move to tie him up 6 years because there is no way Europe's elite will wait for him to turn 20 and be a free agent before signing him.

By the time he's 17/18, there is going to be one hell of a bidding war for him. The MLS are going to make some serious money out of him seeing as Chelsea & Real Madrid are supposed to be prepared to pay upwards of £35m for Wayne Rooney, the nearest thing we've got to Adu in England.

FullLeatherJacket
November 18th, 2003, 3:18 PM
That's maybe a good comparison, though.

The kid's 14. He's good, but he's not that good. Not yet, anyway.

Rooney came in on a great fanfare. As did Owen a few years ago. At the moment, Owen is certainly no better than the third best striker in the league. Rooney's scored about twice this season.

Liverpool are mid-table, and Everton are hovering above the relegation zone.

The point here, I suppose, is just not to count your chickens.

I will pay close attention to MLS come April though, I'll give you that.

The Brothers Grimm
November 18th, 2003, 3:24 PM
I've seen some of the kid playing, and he's damn good.

da_man
November 18th, 2003, 3:28 PM
I didn't believe all the hype about Adu either until the USA U-17s played a warm-up game against a young Blackburn team up at our training ground in the summer. He managed to single-handedly destroy our lads (amongst the best in the country), who won their league last season.

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/NationalTeams/20030802165608/view

Can see him fetching the MLS about $60m in a couple of years.

FullLeatherJacket
November 18th, 2003, 3:31 PM
...oh, and Cristiano Ronaldo....

Well, next year, we'll see. The point for discussion is not whether or not he's better than Blackburn players of the same age, of course he is, it's whether he's going to get better, and whether he's ready to play at the top level.

N.E.R.F.
November 18th, 2003, 3:33 PM
He's 14, they were 17/18

:eek: Scary stuff. Although Americans can't review football :lol:

s-pac
November 23rd, 2003, 8:05 PM
Adu signs for DC united, I'd post the link but you have to fill in a form thing before you get to the aricle.

washingtonpost.com

Teenage phenom Freddy Adu of Potomac stunned the world soccer establishment yesterday by spurning more lucrative offers from established European professional teams to sign a six-year deal with Major League Soccer and stay home to play for D.C. United.

Many soccer observers expected Adu, 14, and his family to ignore the overtures of the eight-year-old U.S. league and sign with one of two aggressive English Premier League suitors: Manchester United or Chelsea. Instead, Adu, whose family moved to Maryland from Ghana after winning an immigration lottery in 1997, joins a league still striving for mainstream popularity in this country.

"This is a great day not just for MLS, but for soccer in America," MLS Commissioner Don Garber said. "We have arguably one of the top young players in the world making a statement that he is making a commitment to help grow the sport in this country."

Adu becomes the latest sports phenom to play in the Washington area. Two years ago the Washington Wizards drafted high school player Kwame Brown with the No. 1 overall pick and teammed him with legend Michael Jordan. The Washington Freedom signed soccer standout Mia Hamm and the Washington Capitals brought in star forward Jagomir Jagr. But Brown has been a disappointment and Hamm has produced the only league championship in the group -- and her league folded soon thereafter.

Professional teams increasingly seek younger and younger players and sign them more on potential than established success. The most prominent example at the moment is NBA rookie LeBron James, who was drafted No. 1 out of high school by the Cleveland Cavaliers this spring and plays at MCI Center tonight against the Wizards.

Despite Adu lacking a professional resume, the pursuit of the teenager was a half-year saga in which clubs from around the world sought him. By age 11, Adu had received an offer from Italian club Inter Milan and he already has drawn comparisons to Pele and attracted large crowds while representing the Unites States at youth events in South Korea, Finland and Guatemala. Adu, who skipped a grade in middle school and is on an accelerated academic program, is expected to join D.C. United fulltime after he graduates from high school in May. He trains and resides in Bradenton, Fla., with the U.S. under-17 national team.

Adu, traveling to New York for a news conference to announce the signing today, was unavailable for comment. Sources close to him said he and his family chose MLS because he can play in top-flight games near his home right away while promoting the sport in this country and being accessible to the U.S. national team.

DC United is hoping the acquisition of Adu will help rejuvenate a club that won three league championships in its first four seasons but missed the playoffs the next three years and barely snuck in this year. United has averaged about 17,000 spectators per game over its eight-year history playing at Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium, but attendance has gradually slipped in recent seasons.

"Everybody is intrigued by him, from all of our fans to people who don't necessarily follow the league or soccer," said Kevin Payne, who oversees United's operations on behalf of Los Angeles-based Anschutz Entertainment Group. "The talent is unmistakable. It's not just his skills with the ball, but his feel for the game. But now he will be playing against men -- men playing for their livelihood. It's a big, big jump."

The arrival of a teenage prodigy is nothing new for United, which has been stockpiling underage talent for several years. But the acquisition of those young players did not attract nearly as much widespread attention, or bring about the profound expectations, as the signing of Adu.

Midfielder Bobby Convey and forward Santino Quaranta signed with MLS when they were 16; Convey has been in the league for four years, Quaranta for three. The team also drafted 17-year-old midfielder Justin Mapp in early 2002, but traded him to Chicago last winter.

"Obviously it's going to present some interesting challenges," Payne said of the Adu signing. "There's enormous attention on him and we want to manage this in the right way. We understand he's a young man and we still want him to be a 14-year-old kid."

Adu is one of the youngest athletes in American history to sign a professional contract to play a team sport, and could become the youngest athlete to play a professional team sport in over 100 years. He turns 15 on June 2 -- the MLS season begins in April -- while pitcher Fred Chapman made his major-league debut in 1887 at age 14 years, seven months and 29 days.

Soccer has traditionally been a tough sell in the United States, despite its global appeal, and Adu is considered to have the talent and engaging personality needed to break barriers in much the same way Tiger Woods elevated the game of golf. He has already scheduled his first solo national television appearance: a guest spot on "The Late Show With David Letterman" tonight.

Adu is considered very marketable, to both the league and advertisers, and, by playing in the United States, Adu is also in a better position to play and train with the U.S. national team, which is hoping to galvanize support after reaching the quarterfinals of the 2002 World Cup.

Sources said the framework of Adu's contract with MLS was solidified Monday night and the final details were hashed out yesterday morning. Adu nearly agreed to terms with Manchester United last month, sources said, but a planned visit to England was put off at the last minute due to a major shakeup in the management of Manchester United and Chelsea. Adu's agents also negotiated with teams from Italy, Spain, Germany and the Netherlands, according to sources.

Adu, who signed a $1 million deal with Nike this year, will now get to live and train at home, will be a symbol for his league and has the opportunity to begin playing in top flight games much sooner here than he would abroad. Adu might have run into difficulty playing for a European team before his 18th birthday anyway, given rules prohibiting non-European based youngsters from playing for foreign teams without a European passport.

Adu has spent considerable time away from home the last two years, traveling the world to play games, and his mother, Emelia, has stressed the importance of family and education throughout this process. His younger brother, Fro, attends Georgetown Prep and the family shares a close bond.

"I think the family feels very comfortable with us as an organization and as individuals," said MLS deputy commissioner Ivan Gazidis, who spearheaded the talks for the league. "We were not pressuring him or his family at any stage to do anything they were uncomfortable with. I think a lot of people have been in their face trying to throw money at them or make something happen when the timing wasn't right. We've been very respectful of the family and their desires."

Financial terms of the contract were not available -- it is believed to be worth several hundred thousand dollars a season -- and there remains a strong possibility that Adu would be traded to a European team; MLS would benefit handsomely from its percentage of the transfer fee should that occur.

Many within U.S. Soccer believe Adu will be on the team that represents the United States in the 2006 World Cup, assuming the Americans qualify, and the possibility remains that he could participate in the Olympics next summer as well. Adu became an American citizen earlier this year and is the youngest person to represent the U.S. in international soccer.

Adu has practiced with D.C. United numerous times over the last few years and is well acquainted with the players and coaching staff. He has performed well in practices and scrimmages with the club, and Coach Ray Hudson said over the summer that he believed Adu had already developed enough to play in MLS.

"I have no doubt he would fit into any MLS team in any MLS game on any given Saturday," Hudson said in July. "He would fit in like a hand in a glove and not let you down."

That's what MLS hopes as well.

"To all those people who underestimate Major League Soccer and underestimate the soccer movement in the United States and the value of that movement," Garber said, "this proves we are serious about this sport and we are serious about growing our league on the world stage as well as on the domestic sports scene ...

"Soccer in America has such enormous potential. Even though we, like all league, have our challenges, we have been making a lot of progress, and we're looking forward to Freddy being a part of our future growth."

Staff writer Steven Goff contributed to this report.

Dan The Man
November 23rd, 2003, 11:59 PM
That's the way to be up to date...

PS: LanDo scores two in MLS Championship game, solidifying his role as America's premiere player. Not that there was ever any doubt. :cool:

MTR
November 24th, 2003, 3:12 PM
First man to score more than one goal in the MLS Cup as well. :)

And this time he was allowed to drink after the win unlike a couple years ago. :)

MTR
December 6th, 2003, 12:50 PM
Well first off we have it pretty easy qualifying-wise for the WC as I have stated in other threads and too lazy to cut and paste it all.

Next is this:

Blackburn is interested in McBride from the US. Cool. I always like to hear about Americans headed that way. Here is the article:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=285294&cc=5901

The Glasgow Rangers appearently decided not to offer Mathis another American a contract. His MLS contract expired and he was working out with them. He also worked out with Leicester before heading over to Scotland.

Dan The Man
December 6th, 2003, 1:11 PM
I am reminded of a little ditty...

You are my Landon
My only Landon
You make me happy, when skies are gray.
We have Clint Mathis
But he's an asshole
Please don't take my Landon away

In other words, fuck Mathis. I hope the MLS doesn't resign him, let alone someone in Europe. Whereas McBride is the fucking man, and could get on with anyone, especially after he came into Everton last year and started busting heads.

da_man
December 7th, 2003, 6:43 PM
Blackburn have on our books a 16-year old American striker called Will Johnson. He came over from Chicago this summer and has been banging in goals this season for our youth team.

Scores a variety of goals but is most noted for being a poacher. Pops up in the box to tuck things away but has scored a few belters from distance too apparently. Very much in the Robbie Fowler/Andy Cole mould.

One to watch.

MTR
December 12th, 2003, 3:44 PM
I had a stattracker on for the US U-20 team playing in the quarters of the World Championship against defending champ Argentina. US was up 1-0 in the 60th minute on a Convey goal. Adu got the assist. But in stoppage time the defending champs scored a goal to tie it and force over time where they scored a golden goal about 10 mintues in. From the sounds of the play by play the US was more or less dominated but still managed to get that early lead and almost win. Not a bad showing at the world championships. I think 6 of the players are from MLS including Convey and of course Adu will be in MLS next season.

Ringo
December 23rd, 2003, 10:14 AM
DeMarcus Beasley, is he any good? and yeah that Will Johnson guy sounded good, while I was manager of Blackburn on CM4 I noticed him... they seem to rate him highly anyway.

da_man
December 23rd, 2003, 11:06 AM
Beasley has bag fulls of raw talent and is lightning quick. I'd compare him to a young Andrei Kanchelskis.

Been linked with a few English clubs but I'd say he's better developing in MLS before moving.

MTR
December 23rd, 2003, 11:33 AM
Beasley is good and will only get better. He has been with the national team for a while now.

Matt E
January 8th, 2004, 2:29 PM
Skysports.com can exclusively reveal that Fulham have sealed a deal for American defender Carlos Bocanegra.

The Chicago Fire stopper has been looking for a club in England for the past few months and now a move to Fulham has been agreed.

The MLS Defender of the Year has had his work permit granted by The Home Office and he is now free to finalise his move to Loftus Road.

"The player has been granted a permit to play in England for Fulham," a Home Office spokesman told skysports.com.

The Whites have agreed a deal for the defender, who had also been linked with Leeds United, after his contract expired with Major League Soccer in America.

Fulham manager Chris Coleman has already brought Bobby Petta to the club during the transfer window and now he has bolstered his defensive options with the arrival of the 24-year-old US international.

Bocanegra did not automatically meet the criteria laid down by The Home Office, but a players' panel gave the move the green-light after concluding he was of sufficient calibre to play in England.

He any good?

MTR
January 8th, 2004, 3:16 PM
Hmmm...I would say he is probably not too shabby if he was defender of the year.

I saw that Mathis signed with a team in Germany finally.

Beefy
January 8th, 2004, 3:32 PM
And I have always hated just having the MLS Cup for the final. If you are going to play multiple games in the other rounds then play a home and home in that as well or something like that. Granted that comes from the American in me that is used to seeing finals of any sport be a best of 7 series for the most part except in on the college level.

:no:

Can you imagine if the World Cup Final or the FA Cup was decided over a seven match series? Sudden death is soccer at its best.

MTR
January 8th, 2004, 5:57 PM
Well my thing is that MLS used to play multiple games in every round except the final. That is just plain silly in my eyes. The thing with the World Cup is that after the first round it goes to single elimination so it flows right. MLS keeps fucking with their playoffs. This year the first round was a home and home with most goals winning. In case of a tie they played an sudden death overtime at the end of the game. So the team with the best record got to have the second game at their place so in a way it was home field advantage in case it went to the overtime. The conference finals and the MLS Cup final were just one game. That just does not make sense to me. Either do multiple games or singles games. Personally I think in this case it should be all single elimination. I don't mind them mixing it up if they did in some sort of logical fashion like the World Cup. Again Americans are used to seeing series in the playoffs of 3 out of 5 or 4 out of 7 except in the college ranks where almost everything is single elimination except baseball which is double elimination.

Matt E
January 8th, 2004, 6:00 PM
They do that system in all European games. In the Champion's League there's groups of 4 with each side playing each other twice, then 3 knockout stages of 2 legs before a one leg final at a neutral ground.

Beefy
January 8th, 2004, 6:07 PM
Well my thing is that MLS used to play multiple games in every round except the final. That is just plain silly in my eyes. The thing with the World Cup is that after the first round it goes to knock out so it flows right. MLS keeps fucking with their playoffs. This year the first round was a home and away with the team with the best score on aggregate winning. In case of a draw they played sudden death extratime at the end of the game. So the team with the best record got to have the second game at their place so in a way it was home advantage in case it went to the extratime. The conference finals and the MLS Cup final were just one game. That just does not make sense to me. Either do multiple games or singles games. Personally I think in this case it should be all knock out. I don't mind them mixing it up if they did in some sort of logical fashion like the World Cup. Again Americans are used to seeing series in the playoffs of 3 out of 5 or 4 out of 7 except in the college ranks where almost everything is knock out except baseball which is double elimination.

Much better.

:angelic:

What is a "double elimination"? Sound like a WWE storyline...

Romford Pele
January 8th, 2004, 6:14 PM
Quick question for american 'sawker' fans here....how good is Landon Donovon at the mo, havent heard a lot about him since the world cup thought he was pretty good. I heard somewhere that his club valued him at £15m, cant be right.

MTR
January 8th, 2004, 6:24 PM
Lead his time to their second MLS Cup in three years. The German team that he actually belongs too keeps wanting him back and so far they have managed to keep him in MLS. Not sure if he is worth that much but he is still top notch and doing well in MLS and for the National Team.

Double elimination is where you have to lose twice to be eliminated. There is a loser's bracket. Basically the only way for the last team standing in the loser's bracket to win the tournament is to beat the winner of the winner's bracket twice in a row.

As far as the format goes like I said MLS has done some weird stuff since they formed and there is nothing that is real logical about the systems they have used. A couple years they used some weird point system. That is what I am mostly complaining about.

MavericK
January 9th, 2004, 9:42 PM
fulham signed carlos bocanegra from chicago fire.....aparently he plays for the national team and was defender of the year in 2002

any of you guys seen him play????

da_man
January 10th, 2004, 9:35 AM
I've heard he's a pretty consistent and solid defender but also has a bit of class and is good on the ball.

MavericK
January 10th, 2004, 2:08 PM
cant be worse than melville then.....maybe chrissy has done it again with his free signings then!

Dan The Man
January 10th, 2004, 4:16 PM
Everybody leaving... please don't take my Landon away...

Lots of soccer coming up, actually, as a pair of MNT friendlies (vs. Denmark and vs. the Netherlands) book-end the Olympic qualifying efforts of the U-23 team. And believe it or not, we actually get to see both MNT games! Good lord, American television actually broadcasting American games; what a concept!

No broadcast of the Olympic qualifiers though :(

MTR
January 10th, 2004, 4:35 PM
When are the friendlies? And what station is covering them?

Dan The Man
January 10th, 2004, 4:59 PM
1/18 vs. Denmark in the awesome Home Depot Center... 12.30pm on ESPN
2/18 vs. Netherlands in the also awesome, but decidedly less local Amsterdam Arena... 2.30pm on ESPN2

Both live. Sweet.

MTR
January 22nd, 2004, 10:04 AM
I missed the game against Denmark. We tied using an all MLS team and debuting a new goalie. Not bad. They were using a young new team as well. I am going to have to make a point to remember the Netherlands game. That game will rock.

I don't get something though. Adu is the highest played MLS player and he has not played a game yet. I think that is crap. I know he is damn good and all but that just kind of spits at the players busting their ass year in and year out around the league that he is the highest paid player before he plays a game and he is only 14. Once he started playing I would be fine with it.

McBride is heading to Fulham in England. Nice to see another good player head to England to play. Mathis is in Germany or whatever but I am not a Mathis fan.

maxx powerz
January 22nd, 2004, 10:55 AM
3 months of soccer stuff in one post. Watch me.

First off- we got a gift in the Denmark game, cause that was one weak ass call in the box that gave us the penalty kick. Not that I'm complaining. Just saying it was a gift.

Second of all, its a good thing we signed Adu, because the MLS just lost two pretty big names in Brian McBride and Clint Mathis. Obviously, we'll have to see how big of an impact Adu has, but losing those two hurts. I mean, McBride IS Columbus. I mean, he has to have been MLS since close to the start. And Mathis, while still unexplored potential at this point, is pretty charasmatic, and fun to watch.

Third of all, about Adu. If we didn't pay him that much money, he may have decided to go into Europe, even if it wasn't the right choice for him. Its obviously a risk, making a 14 year old kid your top pick. But if Adu pans out like the experts say he can, he could easily become the biggest American soccer star of all time. And I'd say it was a good investment if that does happen.

Oh, and I don't know if the schedules have come out yet, but if San Jose plays DC United, I am SOOOOOOOOOOO going down to see it.

Dan The Man
January 22nd, 2004, 11:57 AM
McBride deserved to go. He is, quite simply, one of the top five American soccer players at this moment. His stint with Everton proved he can play at the level of the Premiership. I have a feeling The American Airman will take as well to the game as Howard has, putting in the goals the way Howard has stopped them.

Mathis... well, I'm just glad he's away from here... that dirty fucker...

Adu, however, absolutely has to be the highest paid player, especially in the way they did it. He's not the highest salaried player, but gets a huge amount of bonuses and other perks like, oh I don't know, housing because he's only 14. He deserves every penny for staying in America, but to say he's the highest paid is misleading because if we're just talking money made from playing MLS games, he's not.

Which brings me to another little thing... the list of salaries that Soccer America got their hands on... first of all, how in the world has there not been a bigger outcry for MLS to be more liberal with releasing financial records? These things have been guarded like nuclear weapons for almost a decade, and frankly, it's a scandal waiting to happen. But anyway, I wanted to point out a few things.

A) Josh Wolff. Love him, but are you kidding me? The highest pure salary player ($350,000), and the second highest player with bonuses/endorsements ($418,571.43). Just for fun, let's look at the top five pure salaried players: Wolff, McBride (the list came out at the beginning of the year), John Spencer, Ante Razov, and Freddy Adu. Notice anyone missing? Exactly...

B) Landon Donovan. The man grows in my heart every day. He's pitifully paid in salary ($280,000), less than Earnie Stewart, whose best days are so far behind him they're almost gone. Less than Razov and Spencer, both great players but nowhere near Donovan's skill. Sure, when you add in bonuses and the like, LanDo is the third highest paid player, but he's still behind Wolff, and obviously behind Adu. You'd think some of this would have come up a few months back when Leverkusen made their play to bring him back. But Landon said no, I want to stay in America, essentially turning his back on millions of dollars. He's the man, no question about it.

C) Carlos Ruiz. I'll be honest: I don't follow the MLS as closely as I should, for one because you can see as many, if not more, European games than you can MLS ones here in the States. But I follow closely enough to know that the guy was the league MVP a few years ago, and one of the key players when L.A. was basically a Western Conference power. So what is the guy making? $30,000 base. $50,000 overall. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I can sit here and complain about Landon not making enough money, but here is a guy making almost the league minimum ($24,000, I believe) and one-tenth of what Adu is going to make, and he's not just a proven player; he was the most valuable player in the entire league! Absolutely horrid.

PS: Etcheverry retired today. Good. That mullet always rubbed me the wrong way.

MTR
January 22nd, 2004, 12:34 PM
I still don't agree paying Adu that much so fast. He has played awesome on the international level. I will give him that but I think he would have stayed in the states without the money. The teams in Europe could have give him more money probably. He wanted to stay in the states and close to home for now. I don't blame him either considering his age and the fact he would have gotten put on a youth team for a while when he can play for DC right off the bat.

Etcheverry retired. :( I liked him when I got a chance to watch United games.

MavericK
January 22nd, 2004, 3:13 PM
McBride deserved to go. He is, quite simply, one of the top five American soccer players at this moment. His stint with Everton proved he can play at the level of the Premiership. I have a feeling The American Airman will take as well to the game as Howard has, putting in the goals the way Howard has stopped them.

thats some interesting stuff

im a fulham fan and dont know much about him! do you know much about carlos bocangera?

MTR
January 23rd, 2004, 3:08 PM
There is a cover story on Tim Howard in USA Today. Good read. Nice to see a soccer player get some recognition around this country.

MTR
January 24th, 2004, 12:52 AM
FIFA set transfer windows for MLS.

http://www.sportsline.com/soccer/story/7030280

Dan The Man
January 26th, 2004, 6:13 PM
:cry:

LANNNNNNNNNNDOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

:cry::cry::cry:

MTR
January 26th, 2004, 6:17 PM
It is just a loan unless FIFA makes them use those stupid new transfer windows. Then he may not be back until August. :(

MTR
January 29th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Lalas is the new President and GM of San Jose.

http://www.sportsline.com/soccer/story/7041051

I have not heard any more news about the Donovan deal. I know that they are hoping to get around those transfer windows because it is not a transfer and only a loan.

*crosses fingers*

Also the MLS opens up on April 3 with a national televised game between D.C. United with Adu against defending MLS Cup Champions San Jose Earthquakes with or without Landon.

Dan The Man
January 29th, 2004, 10:44 AM
The deal is basically dead from what I've heard, because of the second window... LanDo would basically be doing nothing for almost three months, between the end of the Premiership season and the re-opening of the MLS window...

He will, however, be leading the Olympic team, since he's still U-23...

MTR
January 29th, 2004, 3:17 PM
That sucks. I think the deal should go through since it is a loan and not a transfer. Stupid FIFA had to go make these transfer windows for MLS. Oh well. At least he will play MLS and for the Olympic team.

MTR
February 3rd, 2004, 7:47 PM
Landon is not a happy man. He really wanted to go play over there and give playing overseas a try. Like he said it was perfect for everyone but those transfer windows screwed it up and they were supposed to be a good thing according to FIFA.

Oh well. He is getting ready to qualify for the Olympics right now anyway.

maxx powerz
February 4th, 2004, 9:53 AM
Guess he took out his frustration on Panama. Scored a goal, plus Convey scored two in a 4-3 win. Although they were up 3-0 and panama tied it, so it looks like that young defense might be as worrisome as feared.

*sigh*

I really wish they would show this stuff on TV. Put on 12 college basketball games a week, can't even give up one time slot for soccer . . .

Java
February 4th, 2004, 8:10 PM
Well, you guys missed one hell of a game. Although our defense played like shit, we never stopped attacking and never stopped trying. Even in the first half we hadquite a few chances to score, and finally in the second half we broke through scoring some amazing goals. Too bad, we let in that somewhat fluke goal in the end. Overall, I'm very proud of my boys, I never expected that. We sure gave you guys quite a scare.

Magnus Barelegs
February 8th, 2004, 8:58 AM
Do any of you follow college/university soccer?

MTR
February 8th, 2004, 11:42 AM
Do any of you follow college/university soccer?

A little here and there. I follow the Ole Miss women and to a small degree the SLU men who are usually highly ranked.

Magnus Barelegs
February 10th, 2004, 7:08 AM
I might be clutching at straws, but do you know of Duncan Bray from the University of Indiana?

He is from Shetland too and just won some big award

MTR
February 10th, 2004, 10:15 AM
Never heard of him. But he if he plays for Indiana then that is a good sign. They are one of the top teams year in and year out I believe.

Adu had his first official professional practice yesterday. The team is practicing where he goes to school for these two weeks. He goes to school in the morning and practices in the afternoon.

maxx powerz
February 11th, 2004, 12:27 AM
Son of a bitch (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/soccer/02/10/bc.oly.us.mexicosoccer.ap/index.html)

This is obviously some elaborate Mexican conspiracy to keep me from caring at all about the Olympics. First the bastards take out our baseball team, now this. Its only a matter of time before elaborate Mexican undercover agents take out the basketball team, and complete their master plan.

Seriously, its a bunch of crap that we had to face Mexico in the qualifying match. I mean, I understand why, because the dumb Mexican bastards didn't win their bracket and all. But still, the fact that Costa Rica is in and we're out just sucks.

Dan The Man
February 11th, 2004, 12:42 AM
Aye.

Although we obviously want to be there, we would have had no chance anyway. I mean, (and not to bring it back up and rub in everyone's face, but) I was two rows away from an older, more experience, almost Cup-calibre US MNT that looked out of place against the Brazilian U-23/Olympic team. You're asking a lot of kids much younger, and much much less experienced to take on the same guys? Not bloody likely.

Disappointing, but not completely surprising, and likely not as disappointing as it would be if we were similarly shelacked on the international stage.

Dan The Man
February 18th, 2004, 9:35 PM
First things first: 0-1 loss to the Netherlands today, in what sounds like was a good game with lots of big saves by van der Sar and the only goal coming from Hedjuk getting beaten thus allowing a breakaway.

Second things second: MNT upcoming schedule

3/18: vs. Haiti (Miami, FL)
3/31: vs. Poland (Poland)
4/28: vs. TBA (TBA)
5/26: vs. TBA (TBA)
6/13 and 6/20: vs. Grenada or Guyana (World Cup qualifying)
7/11: vs. Poland (somewhere in America)

and third things third:

New Hotness
http://picsrv.ussoccer.com/fif=/ussf/img_6_2468.fpx&obj=iip,1.0&wid=200&hei=164&rgn=0,0,0,0&cvt=jpeg
http://picsrv.ussoccer.com/fif=/ussf/img_6_2467.fpx&obj=iip,1.0&wid=200&hei=215&rgn=0,0,0,0&cvt=jpeg

OMG :orgasm: seriously... you can see all the combinations (short sleeve, long sleeve, home, away, shorts) here (http://www.ussoccer.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=53574)... just make sure you bring a towel or a sock or something...

WANT ONE NOW!

EDIT: Can't get the pics to work, so CLICK LINKS NOW!

maxx powerz
February 19th, 2004, 3:18 PM
Eh, those unis are a little too routine for my liking. I'm still partial to those crazy ass unis the MNT wore in their games in the 94 Cup, the blue ones with the giant stars on 'em (http://sunsite.tus.ac.jp/wc94/images/photos/USAvsCOL.5.0622.gif)

But anyway, that's not the reason I posted. In news that is sure to shock the soccer world to its very foundation, Heather Mitts, formerly of MY Philadelphia Freedom (not that I ever watched :$ ) beat out Anna K and Jennie finch for title of ESPN's Hottest Female Athlete. She does an interview afterwards with espn.com for those that are interested.

Click here (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=questions/heathermitts)

Personally, I voted for Jennie. But hey, all power to her. She is pretty cute.

Dan The Man
February 19th, 2004, 3:31 PM
I voted for Mitts... three times... cause she's hot and a half. I never really got on the Finch bandwagon. I voted for Anna last year.

If only Mitts wasn't all touchy-Feely...

MTR
March 6th, 2004, 3:13 PM
Pele did a top 125 soccer players list for FIFA and the only two Americans on his list were Hamm and Ackers, two women. They were also the only two women on his list.

http://www.sportsline.com/soccer/story/7142379

Blue
March 6th, 2004, 3:21 PM
Any of you guys support the Metro-Stars? I guy i used to play with and who was in my class at school has just spent a weeks trial with them in Spain with a view to a perminant move. His name is Gary Hamilton. Decent player, was on Blackburns books when he was younger then came back to play in Northern Ireland when that fell through. Hes a regular in the Northern Ireland full international squad although hes only made one appearance as a sub against Italy last year. Not bad for a part time player!

Hes a striker who will always get goals, but he'll create as well. He knows his stuff too because he has a job with the Northern Ireland FA as a development officier. I'd be interested in knowing who the strikers are at the Metro-Stars to see who he'd be up against.

MTR
March 6th, 2004, 3:35 PM
I don't support any one team really in MLS. If I did it would be DC or San Jose. Not sure who all is on the Metro Stars. I can check though.

MTR
March 6th, 2004, 3:39 PM
Here is a link to the active roster:

http://www.mlsnet.com/teams/rosters/rosters.php?show=met

The Metro-Stars won some kind of tournament I see on the main page of the site.

Dan The Man
March 6th, 2004, 3:42 PM
You see, the problem with the MetroStars is that they're not so much "good" as they are "bad"... I don't know if I'd say "really bad" but "pretty bad"... waste of a wonderful market, if you ask me...

Blue
March 6th, 2004, 3:52 PM
... waste of a wonderful market, if you ask me...

That just about sums up American sport for me:\

Safe to say i've never heard of one player at the Metro-Stars. He might be in with a chance of a game if he goes. He'd be mad to turn it down!

MTR
March 24th, 2004, 3:24 PM
MLS dropped overtime. Now they will be like the rest of the world and no OT during the regular season.

About time. I hated the shootout shit they first did and I am not a fan of OT for soccer during the regular season. I guess because I am a traditional type guy. Kind of weird considering I love OT in hockey. :)

Dan The Man
April 2nd, 2004, 5:45 PM
It just didn't make sense if the MLS wanted to be seen as a legitimate league... (as if overtime was that missing piece)

PS: /me has applied for an internship with the MLS over the summer. That would be :cool:

But the real reason to bump this thread...

http://www.mlsnet.com/contest/images/bg_left_475x530.jpg

:hyper::hyper::hyper:

MTR
April 2nd, 2004, 5:57 PM
:hyper:

I took off work so I am so watching this game. After I take my daughter to soccer of course. :hyper:

maxx powerz
April 3rd, 2004, 11:23 AM
:mad:

I wanted to see SJ at DC so bad. But I've only got one pal who likes soccer, and he's going to school out by Pittsburgh, and doesn't come home until mid-May. And since MLS decided to kick the season off with this, I'll have to watch it on TV. Plus, since I wanted to see it for Landon, and he wanted to see it for Adu, we are fighting over whether to see NJ/SJ or DC/NE now. I'll probably give in though, just cause NJ is so shitty. I know Eddie Pope, and that's it.

Anyway, despite my disappointment at not being there live, it doesn't change the fact that Landon + Adu = :hyper:

Without a doubt the biggest regular season game in MLS history, methinks. It's just a shame they couldn't wait a week, and compete with the NHL play-offs instead of the damn Final Four.

MTR
April 5th, 2004, 10:19 AM
That was a good game the other day. Convey had a decent game considering the jet lag he was feeling. It was obvious he was not playing up to his standards when he missed that wide open goal that could have put DC up 3-1.

Adu had some good touches. I laughed when he fell and tried to get the foul called and the ref told him to get up. He will score some goals and get some starts before the season is over.

Poor Donovan did not get that many touches. He almost put a goal in though.

Dan The Man
April 7th, 2004, 4:00 PM
I started writing this a joke in the Asylum, but it turned pretty serious (and long), so I figure I'll put it here as well.

Are DC United Obligated to Start Adu?

Freddy Adu has been billed as the future of American sport for years. He earns the largest total salary of any player in Major League Soccer. He had the draft order changed so he could play close to home. His face and name were plastered on advertisements for the opening game of the 2004 MLS season.

He came on in the 61st minute.

League officials, trainers, coaches, and many players insist that Adu needs to be brought in gradually. Starting him could be detrimental to his long-term development, they say.

At the same time, Adu presents the greatest opportunity yet to garner mainstream interest in the sport. Sports fans, though not soccer fans, tuned in to see what this highly-hyped phenom could do. And for a sport that is still widely seen as "boring" by the American public, asking the casual (or even more important, first-time) fan to watch 60 minutes of a game before they get a chance to see Adu is risky to say the least. In thirty minutes of playing time, Adu got few touches, and signs of brilliance. His one attempt at taking on a defender was met with contact and a failed attempt at drawing a foul.

So the question is: if the MLS is intent on using Freddy Adu to market their game, to reach new viewers, and to spread the sport of soccer in general, are they obligated to start him? Where is the line between what is good for Adu and what is good for the sport? Regardless of what he does on the field for his team, everyone knows that his most valuable contribution will be how many new fans he brings in, and as we have seen after each World Cup, there are a number of fans who are not averse to watching soccer, but still need that extra incentive. Even more telling from after each Cup, however, is that they need that incentive right away. The Women's World Cup win garned enough interest to start a women's league, but as time went by, that interest could not be sustained. The 2002 World Cup drew ESPN2's highest soccer ratings ever, yet the Men's National Team plays an increasing amount of non-televised friendlies. In short, the US public can't be strung along on stories of what Adu will do for very long. At some point, they will stop caring. Unless, that is, Adu can perform before then, performances that by his own account will come with more playing time. The question is which will come first: Adu's excellence or America's apathy?

aenima
April 7th, 2004, 4:11 PM
Pele, Owen and Gascoigne were all playing regularly for club and country by the time they were seventeen.

Having said that, so was Norman Whiteside, and his career got fucked up with injuries.

Hold on a minute, so did Gascoigne's... and Owen's not unfamiliar with the odd pulled hamstring...

Anyway, in my opinion he needs to be eased gently into MLS over the next couple of years. It's pretty obvious that he's not fully developed yet, both technically and physically, and you can't expect too much of him too soon. When he's 17/18, I believe he will have become one of the best players in the world, and is going to get sold off to Europe. Until then, though, there's no reason why the MLS can't milk him for all he's worth in publicity. We've already seen he can pull in the big crowds. Play him in the big games and give him the odd run-out inbetween.

MTR
April 7th, 2004, 4:28 PM
They should do what is best for Adu and play him off the bench for now. Sure they may lose some of the fan base they are drawing in after a while when he does not start every game but they will still gain some fans in the long run in my view.

And you never know he may not go to Europe later. They may be able to hold onto him for a while and build a fan base while he is starting on a regular basis when he is older.

Part of the problem though is the hype he is getting despite not being a starter. I think there has been a little too much hype.