PDA

View Full Version : Guitar

Pages : [1] 2 3

Bandit
January 5th, 2003, 5:05 PM
Hey guys, I just got a guitar, and I'm learning how to play. I can already play Dammit, come as you are, and Hash Pipe now.

Name some easy songs to learn on the guitar, or the first few songs you ever learned.

:yes:

RRG
January 5th, 2003, 5:11 PM
Back In Black by AC/DC and The Peer Gunn theme by the Blues Brothers

Unbodied
January 5th, 2003, 5:21 PM
I'm gonna give you some great advice.

Don't. Learn. Covers.

When you first being to play an instrument is when you have your most original style of playing, because you don't know anything about it yet. What I'd do is just play however you want... as long as you've learned all the chords, develop your own style.

HitmanHart
January 5th, 2003, 6:28 PM
Run To The Hills- Iron Maiden
Jerk Off- Tool
Enter Sandman- Metallica
A Secret Place- Megadeth
Hangar 18- Megadeth

zerox
January 5th, 2003, 8:03 PM
If you don't mind Jimmy Eat World, try playing they're songs because they are very easy. Try and get variation so that if you start writing, you can create things which are different and incorporate different styles.

Kris
January 5th, 2003, 8:07 PM
Under a Glass Moon by Dream Theater and Bullet in the Head by Rage Against the Machine are both good for beginners.

Kunt 4 Life
January 5th, 2003, 8:19 PM
Smoke on the water by Deep Purple
Teenage kicks by Undertones

Survive If I Let You!
January 5th, 2003, 8:30 PM
Iron Man by Black Sabbath

DAKPluto
January 5th, 2003, 8:52 PM
Originally posted by Unbodied
I'm gonna give you some great advice.

Don't. Learn. Covers.

When you first being to play an instrument is when you have your most original style of playing, because you don't know anything about it yet. What I'd do is just play however you want... as long as you've learned all the chords, develop your own style.

Listen to this man for he is wise.

Learn your chords, your scales,your arpeggios.

Music theory is the best thing that will help you.

TC
January 5th, 2003, 8:58 PM
My friends, we have so much in common, I got my guitar in early Oct., the first song I learned was Superman by Goldfinger.
I suggest learning a few easy powercord riff songs, I'll post a few.

The Hives - Hate to Say I told you so
" " - Main Offender
Nirvana - Smells like teen spirit.
Most punk stuff, don't try and learn songs you haven't heard, it's hell. :dead:

SimonOz
January 6th, 2003, 1:45 AM
I wonder how Limp Bizkit is going with their studies.

Jimmy Zero
January 6th, 2003, 2:54 AM
Don't listen to these guys telling you not to learn covers. Music theory is boring and for lame asses who would rather study music than play it.

The first songs I learned to play were a bunch of Nirvana and Beatles covers. Playing Beatles songs is about all you'll need to cover your music theory knowledge.

them69
January 6th, 2003, 3:11 AM
I wouldn't call music theory and scales and stuff lame, but I think that the more songs you know how to play, the more versatile of a player you're gonna be. You won't automatically fall into the style of one player if you learn a lot of various songs, like previously suggested. Maybe if you sit around and play ONLY Nirvana or AC/DC covers you'll kind of fall into the unoriginal rut, but I say learn as many songs as you can. It will keep you playing longer, plus it'll give you a sense of accomplishment. Plus it's just plain FUN jamming along with your favorite record. Learning scales and theory just isn't that rewarding unless you're gonna be really serious about it.

Easy songs to play:
a lot of Nirvana
Green Day
AC/DC
Nothing Else Matters - Metallica
American Pie - Don McLean

for starters

Unbodied
January 6th, 2003, 7:58 AM
Not music theory either. Just learn to develop your own style. I don't know how to read or write music at all, and I'm a very creative drummer.

DAKPluto
January 6th, 2003, 9:39 AM
Not music theory either. Just learn to develop your own style. I don't know how to read or write music

Gotta be a drummer.

at all, and I'm a very creative drummer.

Yep ;)

Honestly people, scales and arpeggios are the most important things you can learn when playing any instrument. All music is based of your scales. If you can learn to play your scales in as many octaves as possible, from any position on your fret board, you will see your ability drasticaly improve.

Look at all the guitar solos out there. 90% of them do nothing more than fly around some scales, or portions of scales. Imagine if you could look at the long line of notes, and sight-read it at tempo, because your fingers already know the patterns.

I'm not saying that you need to be able read tranpose the 2nd Violin of Mozat's Requim from treble clef to alto clef, or be able to build a Hungarian Major Scale, or construct a C# 11b 13# chord (BTW, that would be C#, E#, G#, B, F, A double Sharp also known as B. ;) )

But those scales are extemely important. The only ones you really need to learn is you Major, Minor, Pentonic, and Blues.

And each mode of those scales.

hipp
January 6th, 2003, 1:51 PM
Green Day - Brain Stew

Unbodied
January 6th, 2003, 3:42 PM
Originally posted by DAKPluto
Gotta be a drummer.

Yep ;)

Honestly people, scales and arpeggios are the most important things you can learn when playing any instrument. All music is based of your scales. If you can learn to play your scales in as many octaves as possible, from any position on your fret board, you will see your ability drasticaly improve.

Look at all the guitar solos out there. 90% of them do nothing more than fly around some scales, or portions of scales. Imagine if you could look at the long line of notes, and sight-read it at tempo, because your fingers already know the patterns.

I'm not saying that you need to be able read tranpose the 2nd Violin of Mozat's Requim from treble clef to alto clef, or be able to build a Hungarian Major Scale, or construct a C# 11b 13# chord (BTW, that would be C#, E#, G#, B, F, A double Sharp also known as B. ;) )

But those scales are extemely important. The only ones you really need to learn is you Major, Minor, Pentonic, and Blues.

And each mode of those scales. When you're a guitarist, I suppose it's a bit different.

I never said you shouldn't know music theory; I merely said that you don't necessarily need it to be a good musician. It is useful, though.

BKJG
January 6th, 2003, 3:50 PM
Hungarian Major Scale

What's one of those?

DAKPluto
January 6th, 2003, 5:11 PM
Originally posted by BKJG
What's one of those?

1-#2-3-#4-5-6-b7-8

I've actually used the Hungarian before in some of my Jazz Compositions. It has a very unique and sharp, edgy sound to it.

Superunknown
January 6th, 2003, 6:35 PM
Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
Come As You Are
All Apologies
The Man Who Sold The World
Metallica - Fade To Black
Master of Puppets
One
Enter Sandman
Unforgiven

Stone Temple Pilots - Plush
Big Empty

Smashing Pumpkins - Porcelina

Alice In Chains - Heaven Beside You
Would

Soundgarden - Pretty Noose

---------
those are the first bunch of songs I learned how to play, should be easy enough to learn if you have the right tab.

DAKPluto
January 6th, 2003, 6:45 PM
Originally posted by Superunknown
should be easy enough to learn if you have the right tab.

Tab = :yuck: :irked: :grumpy: :dork: :nono:

Tab is for people that haven't bothered to learn music, and haven't practiced their basic skill enough to figure out how to play it themselves.

BKJG
January 6th, 2003, 7:09 PM
1-#2-3-#4-5-6-b7-8

I've actually used the Hungarian before in some of my Jazz Compositions. It has a very unique and sharp, edgy sound to it.

That's a pretty cool scale. Thanks for that :yes:

DAKPluto
January 6th, 2003, 7:12 PM
Originally posted by BKJG
That's a pretty cool scale. Thanks for that :yes:

Guitar Grimoire, Vol. 2 - Chords and Voicings

One of my favorite theory books. The back of it has a couple hundred different scales. It gives a whole list of scales that work over various chords. It is a great book.

TC
January 6th, 2003, 7:42 PM
Does anyone know any sites that can teach guitar? I have lessons but 1 hour a week isn't much.

BKJG
January 6th, 2003, 7:43 PM
Guitar Grimoire, Vol. 2 - Chords and Voicings

One of my favorite theory books. The back of it has a couple hundred different scales. It gives a whole list of scales that work over various chords. It is a great book.

I'm not actually a guitarist :) but thanks anyway

I play French Horn and Piano. In that order.

DAKPluto
January 6th, 2003, 7:45 PM
Very little of the Guitar Grimoire deals with Guitar, mostly just music theory in general.

The whole Vol. is nothing more than scales and arpeggios, in any key, mode, and voicing you can imagine.

I use it all the time when composing for any instrument.

DAKPluto
January 6th, 2003, 7:49 PM
Originally posted by TC
Does anyone know any sites that can teach guitar? I have lessons but 1 hour a week isn't much.

I haven't found a really good teaching site yet.

1 hour a week for private lessons is about normal. Just ask your teacher for more stuff to practice during your home time. I'm sure he has plenty of excercises that you could be doing.

One that always helped me, that I still do to this day:

Each day, right before you practice, draw a note out of a hat. For example lets say you pull out G#. Find every G# you can play on your guitar. Every string, at every position.

As you get more advanced, you will learn to incorperate your harmonics into that study. Before long, you will notice that your fretboard recognition will improve dramatically.

them69
January 7th, 2003, 1:37 AM
Tab = :yuck: :irked: :grumpy: :dork: :nono:

Tab is for people that haven't bothered to learn music, and haven't practiced their basic skill enough to figure out how to play it themselves.

People always always always say that.

And I completely disagree.

If you're reading guitar music, the ideal way to read it would be sheet music with tabs. It is damned hard to figure out what to play on what string if you're playing any involved piece on the guitar without tab. I've been reading music since a very young age and can in my sleep, but I will stand by what I said: tab is MUCH better for a beginner, and hell even experienced players. It is not the lazy way out, it's the way to avoid hours and hours of frustration that could lead to giving up completely on the instrument.

Superunknown
January 7th, 2003, 4:28 AM
Originally posted by them69
People always always always say that.

And I completely disagree.

If you're reading guitar music, the ideal way to read it would be sheet music with tabs. It is damned hard to figure out what to play on what string if you're playing any involved piece on the guitar without tab. I've been reading music since a very young age and can in my sleep, but I will stand by what I said: tab is MUCH better for a beginner, and hell even experienced players. It is not the lazy way out, it's the way to avoid hours and hours of frustration that could lead to giving up completely on the instrument.

Yes, exactly. When I first started out tab really helped. It got me very familiar with the fret board and really helped in terms of recognizing different tunings.

Into the Black
January 7th, 2003, 11:11 AM
When I first started to play I learned the basics such as a few chords and scales. Then I decided to see what I could play and started to do songs that were simple enough that I could pull them off. I also was going to www.wholenote.com to learn a few things. That site does help you hear and practice new stuff each time you go to it.

After I learned about 10 songs I got myself a book that helped me learn a lot more chords, and some other important stuff. It was some Guitar lesson book thing. Pretty good book.

Anyways learning songs when you are starting isn't a problem at all, as long as you don't just focus on that. A good idea is trying to play someone eles's song in your own way, because then you get to be creative.

Also anyone can learn the Guitar and become good at it without lessons. I tought myself pretty good, as well as my friend who hasn't had any lessons.

What kind of guitar did you buy?

DAKPluto
January 7th, 2003, 12:22 PM
It is damned hard to figure out what to play on what string if you're playing any involved piece on the guitar without tab.

I'll say it again, learn your scales and their modes. You canfigure it out quicker than you believe.

I'll try to drag the story up from the internet about the "sebatical" that Eddie Van Halen took a few years ago. For the basic part of the story though, he spent two years in a cabin in the woods practicing nothing but basics. Speed Excercises, scales, arpeggios, interval studies, chordal theory, etc. He didn't practice a single lick of music, nor did he write any music. Nothing but basic skills, and he came back better than ever.

Do you think the top players use TAB? Hell no. They have practiced the skills that should become basic to ever player, and with that knowledge can improvise and run through solos at lightening speed.

them69
January 7th, 2003, 4:07 PM
I'll say it again, learn your scales and their modes. You canfigure it out quicker than you believe.

I'll try to drag the story up from the internet about the "sebatical" that Eddie Van Halen took a few years ago. For the basic part of the story though, he spent two years in a cabin in the woods practicing nothing but basics. Speed Excercises, scales, arpeggios, interval studies, chordal theory, etc. He didn't practice a single lick of music, nor did he write any music. Nothing but basic skills, and he came back better than ever.

Do you think the top players use TAB? Hell no. They have practiced the skills that should become basic to ever player, and with that knowledge can improvise and run through solos at lightening speed.

I know my scales and modes, I'll say that again, too.

Do you think the top players can figure anything they need to know out by ear? Yes, because they're that damn good that they don't NEED any kind of written notation.

If you're saying everyone should be a complete workaholic and work like that, I don't agree with you. Not everyone is a hardcore musician such as you seem to be, and not everyone really has the patience to figure out written music. Tab is much much easier for guitar, and I think you can attest to that. The only reason for sheet music with guitar for me, is to show rhythms, dynamics, and other little nuances that get completely lost in tab notation. And if it's a high horse you're on saying that people who read tab don't know what they're doing, you should get off it, cause not everyone learns the same way, and not everyone approaches everything the same way.

DAKPluto
January 8th, 2003, 2:55 AM
I'm not talking about playing by ear. Playing by hear is half learned over time, and half god-given talent.

And what I'm trying to tell about the difference in learning to play by tab, and learning to play by notation is this: Learning by notation will allow beginner players to overcome the difficult hurdles in guitar playing much easier.

By learing you scales, you can learn the more difficult keys much easier. How many players that learn by tab can easily play in some stupid key like D flat? And what if they try to play with somebody that knows a song in a different key? How is somebody that learned in tab going to be able to change a song up or down a few steps when they only know the tab?

It's about teaching people in a way that will benefit them later. I'm sure that some people may be turned off early, and that's okay. I'm more worried about the people that discover they trully enjoy playing, and maybe want to elevate their playing to a higher level, but get turned off because they can't get past that tab.

And tab isn't easier for me, cause I started my music life in notation. I started at 3 with keyboards, and moved on. Best thing that could of happened to me to. I knew my basic theory (scales, key signatures, rythym studies) before I was 6.

I could have passed my AP Music Theory High School classes when I was 8. And I was extremely grateful for it, cause it has made learning new insturments much easier.

NiMMERS
January 8th, 2003, 4:31 AM
Sepultura - Refuse/Resist
Black Sabbath - War Pigs
Black Sabbath - Electric Funeral

them69
January 9th, 2003, 1:47 AM
I'm not talking about playing by ear. Playing by hear is half learned over time, and half god-given talent.

And what I'm trying to tell about the difference in learning to play by tab, and learning to play by notation is this: Learning by notation will allow beginner players to overcome the difficult hurdles in guitar playing much easier.

By learing you scales, you can learn the more difficult keys much easier. How many players that learn by tab can easily play in some stupid key like D flat? And what if they try to play with somebody that knows a song in a different key? How is somebody that learned in tab going to be able to change a song up or down a few steps when they only know the tab?

It's about teaching people in a way that will benefit them later. I'm sure that some people may be turned off early, and that's okay. I'm more worried about the people that discover they trully enjoy playing, and maybe want to elevate their playing to a higher level, but get turned off because they can't get past that tab.

And tab isn't easier for me, cause I started my music life in notation. I started at 3 with keyboards, and moved on. Best thing that could of happened to me to. I knew my basic theory (scales, key signatures, rythym studies) before I was 6.

I could have passed my AP Music Theory High School classes when I was 8. And I was extremely grateful for it, cause it has made learning new insturments much easier.

Everything you just said means: "I'm an exception"

You said up there that it would help players overcome hurdles in playing a lot faster if they learn notation first. Well let me ask you this, and with your unarguable prowess, I probably won't get the answer I'm looking for....What did you practice when you first started learning piano? Did you jump right into a Beethoven sonata or Bach fugue? Or did you practice the basics first before completely overloading yourself with stuff you don't even know how to do?

The fact of the matter is, tab is easy to read. Anyone off the street can read tab after about 10 minutes of figuring out what it means. Why would someone beat themselves up and get really frustrated over something that might take them YEARS to master, ie sightreading sheet music for guitar? It just doesn't make sense to me.

I don't see how it would make a difference in knowing your scales. If you know your scales, you know your scales and do it by practicing them. I never read scales off sheet music while playing a wind or key instrument, why would I for guitar? And transposing something into a different key? It seems almost like you're arguing that everyone should know THEORY instead of being able to read sheet music versus tab.

Incidentally, I started my music life in notation, as well, and I still use tab and think it's much much easier.

DAKPluto
January 9th, 2003, 11:14 AM
Everything you just said means: "I'm an exception"

You said up there that it would help players overcome hurdles in playing a lot faster if they learn notation first. Well let me ask you this, and with your unarguable prowess, I probably won't get the answer I'm looking for....What did you practice when you first started learning piano?

Well, I actually didn't start Piano until College. I started keyboards when I was three. And I started in notation from lessons by my mom. And part of my early lessons was a mix of scales and beginner pieces. All in notation. I didn't start ear training until I was about 12.[/quote]

Did you jump right into a Beethoven sonata or Bach fugue? Or did you practice the basics first before completely overloading yourself with stuff you don't even know how to do?

See, this is the problem with having somebody learn tab before they learn how to actually play. They want to jump in on tough music, but don't know what the hell they are doing. And by using Tab, they are given a misleading short-cut. It looks like they are getting to their goal faster, but in reality, they are being held back. They aren't learning those skill that will improve their playing. They are just going in and trying music created by professionals, and playing it badly, when they could wait a few extra months, learn their scales and key signatures, and start on easier tunes.

Do you think any "Learn Guitar" book starts with Ironman or Eruption? No, they start with basic skills, and songs like Row You Boat.

The fact of the matter is, tab is easy to read. Anyone off the street can read tab after about 10 minutes of figuring out what it means. Why would someone beat themselves up and get really frustrated over something that might take them YEARS to master, ie sightreading sheet music for guitar? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Gee, becuase maybe some of them will trully enjoy playing guitar, and what to be the best they can be at it. And they have the determination and will to practice the boring stuff, knowing that it will make them a much better playing.

You should see the Wynton Marsiles PBS specials he made. Although intended for kids, it is so well done it works for everybody. I've shown it to some of my students that are adults. He has a Wonderful episode just on practicing. He admits himself how boring practice can be, just doing scales and rythym studies. But he talks about the tips he uses to get past that time and on to the fun stuff.

Amazing special from an amazing musician. (Only black person to win the Nobel Prize for Music, mostly because of those PBS specials.)

I don't see how it would make a difference in knowing your scales. If you know your scales, you know your scales and do it by practicing them. I never read scales off sheet music while playing a wind or key instrument, why would I for guitar?

Never play scales in music? :wtf:

Look at something like Eugene's Trick Bag by Steve Vai.

What do you think the opening licks are? Nothing more than Arrpegios, a basic skill. Somebody who never spent the time to learn their scales and arrpegios is gonna have a difficult time running through that opening.

However, somebody that practices their scales and arpeggios would need about 30 seconds studying it, and rip it off like they have played it their whole life. Without looking at the tab.

Man Who Sold The World by Nirvana: What do you think that is at the beginning of the Chorus? A C Major Scale and a F Major Scale. Just a simple major scale pattern made so much easier if you already know what is coming up.

Close My Eyes Forever by Ozzy Osbourne: This entire piece is nothing more than arrpegios.

The March from Symphonic Metamorphosis by Paul Hindimith. The ending runs through nothing but octave after octave of C flat scales.

Take any Jazz piece, they are nothing but scales.

You play scales everytime you play music. All music is uses portions of scales, or you would play a piece that comprises of nothing but one note. Any interval is part of a scale. And the more scales you know, the more lines start apearing on the page instead of indivudual notes.

That is the secret to sight-reading. You should be able to look at least 2-3 measures ahead of where you are playing. Cause you are not reading the NOTES, but the scales and arpeggios they make up.

And with a small bit of theory, you can anticipate the scales that are gonna come up just by looking at a couple key notes, and the key signature. And if your music has the chord notations at the top, your life is ten times easier.

If you are playing a piece with no flats or sharps in the key siganture, you already know that your piece is gonna be in C Major, or A Minor. So you already know that the piece is gonna rely heavily on the scales associtated with those keys. (C-F-G-Am-Dm-Em)

Imagine that. You haven't even looked at anything but the key signature, and you already know how to play 90% of the notes that are gonna be in that piece, and what position to play them in. ALL without tab.

And transposing something into a different key? It seems almost like you're arguing that everyone should know THEORY instead of being able to read sheet music versus tab.

I never asked for people to understand counterpoint, tenor and alto clef, Hungarian scales, or complex chords, etc. I just say that everybody should learn their major, minor, blues, and pentonic scales, with arpeggios. And also learn their key signatures.

Armed with that knowledge, they can learn guitar 3 to 4 times faster than somebody starting on tab.

Incidentally, I started my music life in notation, as well, and I still use tab and think it's much much easier.

It's called a crutch. I can alreay tell that you are somebody that wasn't taught the importance of your scales, or how they work in music.

them69
January 9th, 2003, 7:38 PM
It's called a crutch. I can alreay tell that you are somebody that wasn't taught the importance of your scales, or how they work in music.

Actually, you have no idea what you're talking about with that statement.

After that whole dissertation on scales you just gave, you should have re-read what I wrote. I know all my scales backwards and forwards. All I said was that I never READ MY SCALES off of sheet music. Why might you ask? Cause I was taught them and knew all of them beforehand. I played them from memory. You are on a high horse, and here's news for you bud, you're not the only one with a classical background. You took what I said completely out of context...I didn't mean that it wasn't important to know scales, I think it's very important to know scales, all I meant was that reading music makes no difference if you are taught your scales and know them by heart. You took it as me saying "scales aren't important, who the hell cares about them." And that's not what I was saying at all.

And I still don't understand how tab is a crutch if you already know how to read music. I don't consider it a crutch, I consider it easier. Music is music, it makes no difference to me how it is written. I can read it both ways, and I happen to choose tab for guitar. Not to mention you can't get scanned sheet music for (many of the) songs you want to learn over the internet.

DAKPluto
January 10th, 2003, 3:19 AM
Why is it still a crutch? It takes away from you playing as you. Instead, it is you trying to play as (insert person that recorded the song). That's why it is easier. It takes away thinking for yourself. It does nothing to improve you as a player. It just teaches you to scan some numbers on some lines.

You aren't seeing the intervals, and the runs, and how they work with each other. You aren't learning to listen to what you are playing.

And I can mention one instance where learning to read from notation is essential.

Take any piece from the Goo Goo Dolls. John Rzeznik is always changing the tuning on his guitars. Ever song requires something very unique to that song. Most of the time, it requires restring part of your guitar with different strings. Some require replacing the B string with another High E, or replacing the A with a Low E. I believe it is Iris that replaces the Low E with a G string from a set of bass guitar strings.

If you want to play their stuff, you either have to spend the time to restring your guitar for every song (not good in a gig ;) ) or you have to change the tuning to something more practical (normally a variation of Open D works for theirs) and figure out a new way to play it.

Yes, it is possible to do this with tab, but I wouldn't want to spend the hours upon hours doing the math. I would much rather just look at the notation, and be able to figure it out in a few seconds. Let me tell, the second is much easier.

(Damn Rzeznik. I know it is what makes their great sound, but it is a f'n pain in the ass. I hate playing gigs with bands that like their stuff. Cause it is normally me to be the one that suffers.)

them69
January 10th, 2003, 4:48 PM
Well if you can sight transpose for 6 strings at once, then mister, you're a better man than I. I can read notation backwards and forwards, but sight transposing is not something I can do on the spot, and I'd say 99% of all guitarists can't either.

I don't see how it takes away from your playing, either...tab doesn't tell you to play like the person who recorded the song...notation is the SAME THING, just presented in a different medium... You learn to listen to what you're playing once you memorize what's going on. It's the same thing with reading notation. I trust my ear more than my eye, and with music, the ear is the most essential thing you can use.

DAKPluto
January 10th, 2003, 7:25 PM
See, that's the beauty of learning positions instead of what the tab tells you. You don't think in terms of Fret 3, Fret 7, Fret 4, etc.

You think of the position within the scale. So to transpose, just shift your position the frets needed, and play as normal.

It's all about seeing the music, not the notes.

BuhBuh
January 11th, 2003, 8:35 AM
Originally posted by Bandit
Hey guys, I just got a guitar, and I'm learning how to play. I can already play Dammit, come as you are, and Hash Pipe now.

Name some easy songs to learn on the guitar, or the first few songs you ever learned.

Firstly, Bandit, I suggest you buy yourself a beginner's book, and work through just getting chords right, the fungering, making sure they ring out..technique should come before learning a few songs...Try Knockin on Heaven's door..three chords G...D..and C.

And to the guys who say don't learn covers...bullshit...learn covers, get in a band, make somecash...I did that, and I play almost every week, making some cash and not being a 'songwriter'. And also, if you're at a party or whatever and someone asks you to play a tune...what'll you do...play one of your own 'original' songs or play 'Brown Eyed Girl' or 'Sweet home Alabama'?? I know which one I'd prefer to hear!!

Bandit, if you need any advice or anything, just PM me :)

TIMMY!!!!!
January 13th, 2003, 12:26 AM
This is a good site for learning chords. Not every song can be done with just chords though. But a lot of them can.

http://www.tommymerry.com/lessons.html

them69
January 14th, 2003, 1:41 AM
www.tabcrawler.com

This site has lots of stuff including help forums.

Pauly
January 17th, 2003, 10:29 PM
Dakpluto.... learning music is totally useless for the casual guitar player.

And where's the fun if you don't play any covers.

DAKPluto
January 18th, 2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Shane'O Mac
Dakpluto.... learning music is totally useless for the casual guitar player.

And where's the fun if you don't play any covers.

Learning covers is great, even better if you want to make a little money.

But why try it if you aren't going to try to be good?

them69
January 18th, 2003, 2:00 AM
Good is in the eye of the consumer;)

BuhBuh
January 18th, 2003, 6:42 PM
Hey Pluto...I AM good

You seem to be a stuck up muso type, and , sorry, but I can;t stand people liek that.

See my post above

DOOMSDAY
January 19th, 2003, 4:02 AM
Originally posted by Bandit

good for you:yes:

Gangers
January 19th, 2003, 6:51 AM
DAK, we all know that you play every instrument known to man better than everybody else in the world, and I think you like reminding us at every opportunity. Thus, you come over as very arrogant. Get this: I can't read Standard Notation. I am NOT a drummer! :eek: Also, I play guitar well, and bass better. By reading Tab. Why? Because it's easier.

Let people learn how they want, without you bashing their way of doing it. Weren't you a beginner once? Did you do EVERYTHING by the book? If so I pity you, you missed out on some fun stuff like learning by ear and reading Tab.

Anyway to Bandit I say: A lot of what others have said, Nirvana, Green Day and Jimmy Eat World tend to be easy enough. Heart Shaped Box could be a challenging one for a beginner but its not that difficult and you'll feel great when you have it.

DAKPluto
January 19th, 2003, 8:36 AM
Originally posted by Gangrel
DAK, we all know that you play every instrument known to man better than everybody else in the world, and I think you like reminding us at every opportunity. Thus, you come over as very arrogant. Get this: I can't read Standard Notation. I am NOT a drummer! :eek: Also, I play guitar well, and bass better. By reading Tab. Why? Because it's easier.

Sorry. I try to come across as helpful. I've gone through twenty years of learning music. I'm just trying to steer people through the hurdles that I have gone through, or seen others experience.

And I make no apologies for learning as many instruments as I can, and enjoying all aspects of music, including thoery. It's something I've always enjoyed to find a new instrument that I haven't played before. And the more unusual, the better. And thankfully, since I grew up on notation, learning each one has been easier and easier. Not all instuments have a shortcut like tab, but ALL of them use notation as a universal language.

I hate it when I see people that develop a great love for music, only to turn their backs on it because elevating themselves to a higher level is stopped because of how difficult it is to overcome problems developed early in their playing. I'm just trying to teach people that the "easiest" route, isn't always the best route. And sometimes the challenge is more fun, and almost always more gratifiying in the end.

Let people learn how they want, without you bashing their way of doing it. Weren't you a beginner once? Did you do EVERYTHING by the book? If so I pity you, you missed out on some fun stuff like learning by ear and reading Tab.

I actually started keyboards as my first instrument. Mostly by teaching myself out of a book. And I am still paying for that error today. I have developed so many bad habits that learning Piano has been such a pain in the ass. My fingers have developed so many bad ways that it has been as bad as trying to quit smoking to get them to stop.

Fortunally, with most of my other instruments that I play, I was able to recieve much better training. I have appreciated every bit of it because it has allowed me to enjoy a career as a musician, one of the best jobs in the world, IMO. Nothing better than being paid to do something that doesn't feel anything like work :D.

Anyway to Bandit I say: A lot of what others have said, Nirvana, Green Day and Jimmy Eat World tend to be easy enough. Heart Shaped Box could be a challenging one for a beginner but its not that difficult and you'll feel great when you have it.

And to Bandit, I say this. Please, Please, Please, get some private lessons. Learn to read notation. Learn to play your major, minor, pentonic, and blues scales. Learn to play covers by listening to them and hearing the chord changes and intervals. I realize I may be the only here saying this, but I only have twenty years of experience to go off of. :blah:

Kris
January 19th, 2003, 8:44 AM
But dude, surely music is all about doing whatever feels right, how often does James Hetfield play his guitar in the correct position so that it does not affect his posture, how often do Rancid use Sweep Picking, I am all in favour of musicians being technically excellent, but if they are not, it's no bad mark by their name.

Unbodied
January 19th, 2003, 10:47 AM
All technical ability is is a bonus. Some of the most incredible guitarists walking the Earth aren't too technically gifted. Music isn't about playing as fast as you can. It's about using your own original style and creativity to set forth a representation of emotion or mindframe. When you have technical ability, you just have more to work with.

One of the best examples of this is Pink Floyd. The band isn't incredibly technically fited, especially if you take out the horn players. But Pink Floyd is such pure and ambient music because they have the creativity to make beautiful music. WITHOUT being technically great.

Oh yeah, and I hate lessons, specifically because yuou learn how to play the instrument from some guy who tells you how to play it instead instead of developing your own style and ideas.

Unbodied
January 19th, 2003, 10:58 AM
And DAKPluto, music shouldn't be work. It should be enjoyment. If you enjoy overloading yourself with learning every single note there is to learn, that's fine. But the finest musicians on Earth don't need technical ability to be creative.

DAKPluto
January 20th, 2003, 12:34 AM
But some level of technique is needed. Not as much for playing fast, but for playing the music. We hear so many people that can run through some music, but are worried to much about that ink on dead wood. They aren't looking at the music, the line, the emotion. That's where the fun comes in.

Nobody will ever say practicing, practicing correctly, is fun. It's boring as shit running through scale studies, interval studies, rythymic studies, etc. But the end results will increase the enjoyment so much in the future. When you can pick up any piece of music, without ever hearing it before, and play it. Or listen to a song on the radio, and pick it out by ear in a few minutes. Or playing in a band, playing the music you love, and getting paid money to do it. You're just doing something fun, and somebody is handing you money to do it. If that isn't fun, I don't know what is.

Read articles on most of those kind of guitar players you mentioned. Most of them in interviews will admit that wished they had learned better.
And another thing you will find, most of them want to or are learning to play classical guitar, the most techincal and demanding aspect of guitar ever.

DAKPluto
January 20th, 2003, 12:45 AM
And DAKPluto, music shouldn't be work. It should be enjoyment. If you enjoy overloading yourself with learning every single note there is to learn, that's fine. But the finest musicians on Earth don't need technical ability to be creative.

BTW, there is only 11 notes in eastern music ;)

And on your other post, the students I teach learn to develop their own style. I rely heavily on creating your own licks and style. I just make sure they learn to read notation, and they know the proper form. Any teacher should be expected of this.

Granted, the player may learn to develop something that isn't textbook, but sometimes it works for them.

Take somebody like Dizzy Gilliespie. He was a trumpet player that did so many things "wrong" it would make a teacher cringe. He hunched his shoulders, played on the nubs of his fingers, breathed with his "shoulders", etc. But the man could play great.

The important part of a teacher is to be able to tell you students that although he was a great player, you shouldn't try to copy his style.

And when you learn tab, you are learning somebody's style, not your own. You are learning exactly what note they played on what string. You aren't free to learn by your own way. You are "locked" into that pattern.

them69
January 20th, 2003, 1:47 AM
And when you learn tab, you are learning somebody's style, not your own. You are learning exactly what note they played on what string. You aren't free to learn by your own way. You are "locked" into that pattern.

I hate to jump back in, but it's the SAME THING with notation. The notes are laid right out there for you.

If you're suggesting learning by ear as opposed to reading notation, then I apologize for butting in. But if you're reading off notation, it's the exact thing the original player played, so your point is moot.

I'm not going to go bastardize a Beethoven sonata by adding my own stuff (as in re-writing parts, not adding emotion, feeling etc) in it, I don't see why it would be any different with guitar music.

DAKPluto
January 20th, 2003, 11:02 AM
No, with notation you are free to develop your style. If the note says middle C, you are not limited to 2rd string, 3rd fret. You can play 1st string, 8th fret also.

Tab, however, locks you into one of those choices. You are forced to play it the way that the orginal player did.

But with notation, you can play where you are more comfortable, and play higher or lower on the fret board.

However, I do ALSO encourage learning by ear. One of the most important things in music is being able to listen. To be able to hear if you are sharp or flat, and being able to adjust on the spot. To be able to hear what your fellow musicians are doing, and crashing on without them. There is a lot of good players out there that can play any song with a CD player, but put them with other people, and it all goes out the window because they never trained their ear.

Unbodied
January 20th, 2003, 12:18 PM
But some level of technique is needed. Not as much for playing fast, but for playing the music. We hear so many people that can run through some music, but are worried to much about that ink on dead wood. They aren't looking at the music, the line, the emotion. That's where the fun comes in.

Nobody will ever say practicing, practicing correctly, is fun. It's boring as shit running through scale studies, interval studies, rythymic studies, etc. But the end results will increase the enjoyment so much in the future. When you can pick up any piece of music, without ever hearing it before, and play it. Or listen to a song on the radio, and pick it out by ear in a few minutes. Or playing in a band, playing the music you love, and getting paid money to do it. You're just doing something fun, and somebody is handing you money to do it. If that isn't fun, I don't know what is.

Read articles on most of those kind of guitar players you mentioned. Most of them in interviews will admit that wished they had learned better.
And another thing you will find, most of them want to or are learning to play classical guitar, the most techincal and demanding aspect of guitar ever. You missed the point completely. I didn't say technical ability isn't good. I said it's useful and it's a bonus. But creativity comes first. If you learn all the notes but don't know what to do with them, you'll never be a good guitar player.

them69
January 20th, 2003, 3:10 PM
No, with notation you are free to develop your style. If the note says middle C, you are not limited to 2rd string, 3rd fret. You can play 1st string, 8th fret also.

Tab, however, locks you into one of those choices. You are forced to play it the way that the orginal player did.

But with notation, you can play where you are more comfortable, and play higher or lower on the fret board.

Well, I can't say I've ever been placed in a binding agreement with the tab I'm reading that says I HAVE to play it on this string or that string. Once you know which note the tab is telling you to play (which by the way is fairly easy once you've read tab for a bit), say first string, eighth fret as you said, you can play it wherever you want really. It's not like you can't take liberties with tab...it's a suggestion most of the time. And then you figure out the easiest way, and do it.

DAKPluto
January 20th, 2003, 8:52 PM
Well, I can't say I've ever been placed in a binding agreement with the tab I'm reading that says I HAVE to play it on this string or that string. Once you know which note the tab is telling you to play (which by the way is fairly easy once you've read tab for a bit), say first string, eighth fret as you said, you can play it wherever you want really. It's not like you can't take liberties with tab...it's a suggestion most of the time. And then you figure out the easiest way, and do it.

Now I understand why you said it would be hard to transpose 6 strings at once. I was trying to figure out what the hell you were talking about.

See, when you think in tab, transposing is a bitch. But when you think in positions, transposing is a breeze. I don't worry about transposing strings, I just adjust everything up or down a few steps, and my hand goes right with it.

The line you said that gets me is this: Once you know which note the tab is telling you to play . If you read the notation, you automatically know which note it is ;) And with the excerise I stated in here earlier, you automatically know everyplace on the fret board where that note is.

them69
January 20th, 2003, 10:27 PM
I meant that last sentence in the same way as learning notation: people that are just learning notation would have no idea what that dot with the arm on the third line with the weird looking G clef thing meant. Once you learn it, you'd know it were a B quarter note in treble clef. Same with the 5 on the 5th string in tab, you'd know that was a D after a bit of playing. And you'd also know that you could play an open 4th string after becoming more fluent with the guitar.

DAKPluto
January 21st, 2003, 1:07 AM
If you can see the notes while reading tab, at speed, then you are a guitar god. I'd love to see anybody actually shift everything one hand position while trying to do tab at speed. That would be a treat.

Of course with notation, it would be easy.

them69
January 21st, 2003, 1:53 AM
Well if you know that blank number = blank note, it's really not THAT hard...you'd have to practice fighting the urge to play what it says, but that could be overcome with practice. It's really not as hard as it you make it out to be. I shift strings all the time while reading tab, and I am not like a great guitarist or anything. Anyway, I was referring more to learning a song at a normal pace rather than sightreading on stage or something.

cbac
January 24th, 2003, 6:50 PM
I'm self taught, played in bands, retired from music completely. I can read the music, the scales etc. I can see a place for notation and for tabs, originality and covers. The guitar for me is a therapy session, it's something I understand and can "work" with.
I use scales to warm up my hands, I say hands because I'm not comfortable with a pick. I have five on my right hand. Running the scales helps with the muscle memory in my fingers, they can go where I hear without having to think about it. When i hear a song I can hear the notes in my head and they come out on the neck. When i read the music it drags along and my hands get twisted. My wife and kids can read the music and play it on the piano. When I play with them I improvise around the chord structure that I hear.
My point is that everyone picks up an instrument for their own reasons. If they find they have an aptitude or talent for it they may want to go further and take lessons and study theory. I did that and remember my lessons but I still like to pick up the thing and play what's running through my head at the time.
If you over analyze something you eventually take the life out of it. If you are a professional musician then learn all you can, if you wnat to just enjoy yourself then play what you want. No real reason you can't enjoy it either way.

DAKPluto
January 26th, 2003, 4:52 PM
CBAC, that's why I took a break from college. So much theory getting crammed in my head, to the point where I was losing the enjoyment of music. I enjoy theory, but enough was enough. There is too much of a good thing.

And you mention some of the best reasons to learn chord and scale theory. Learning covers is great, but some of the best fun is playing with other people. And if they are playing a song you don't know, wouldn't you love to be able to play with their music.

That is why even non-pros should learn notation, and basic theory. You never know when you might have the chance to fool around with people.

cbac
January 28th, 2003, 4:52 PM
True Dak', and having even a rudimentay knowledge of transposition and improvisation helps.
I enjoy playing within the chords or sitting around doodling.
Even taking a standard cover and changing the style, rhythm or genre of the piece is fun.
That's all it is to me anymore, enjoyment.

Bandit
March 16th, 2003, 11:40 PM
Terrific. I've learned quite a few of those songs (the ones I listen to/like) and now I wanna learn more. :)

I like modern punk/rock/alternative/etc. I also like classic rock. The easy ones are what I'm suggesting, but if they are a bit more difficult than before, that's okay, just not too much more difficult. Thanks. :)

DavidUK
August 15th, 2005, 2:12 PM
Looks like I'll have a guitar come my birthday, but I'm still not completely sold on what type I'd like.

If anyone could answer the following questions it would be greatly appreciated:

Are the chords and whatnot the same on an electric guitar as they are an acoustic guitar?

What exactly is the difference between an electric guitar and an acoustic guitar, apart from an electric guitar making a hell of a lot more noise?

What is an electro-acoustic guitar? An acoustic guitar with no amp?

And finally, is paying £229 reasonable for the following:

http://www.littlewoods-online.com/images/products/mag/pv/pv028v29m.jpg

eugenespeed
August 15th, 2005, 5:09 PM
Are the chords and whatnot the same on an electric guitar as they are an acoustic guitar? Yes, they are exactly the same

What exactly is the difference between an electric guitar and an acoustic guitar, apart from an electric guitar making a hell of a lot more noise? You need an amp to play an Electric guitar, electric guitars have electronics inside to make it sound, whereas acoustic is a natural resonance.

What is an electro-acoustic guitar? An acoustic guitar with no amp? An electro acoustic is an acoustic guitar which you can plug into an amp, and, like an electric, they have volume controls.

I am an acoustic player, mainly because I like whole folky sound.

Here is my guitar:

http://www.mormusic.co.uk/shop/images/tanglewood/TMO7.jpg

It's a Tanglewood odyssey TMO -7, and whereas it sounds nice played as an acoustic, played though an amp on the clear channel, it sounds beautiful :yes:

If you like guitar tab, I recommend www.guitarists.net

DavidUK
August 15th, 2005, 8:50 PM
:heart: Really, really appreciated.

So, basically, what you have (well, Electro-guitars in general) can be used as an acoustic or an electric guitar?

Judas Iscariot
August 15th, 2005, 9:18 PM
Looks like I'll have a guitar come my birthday, but I'm still not completely sold on what type I'd like.

If anyone could answer the following questions it would be greatly appreciated:

Are the chords and whatnot the same on an electric guitar as they are an acoustic guitar? Yeah, they're the same. Main difference is you'll probably be playing a lot of barre and power chords on an electric

What exactly is the difference between an electric guitar and an acoustic guitar, apart from an electric guitar making a hell of a lot more noise? Electric guitars usually have a faster play and closer action, meaning they're easier on your hands (cramping, whatever), and it's a lot easier to play faster stuff. Plus, chicks dig the growl of an electric. Your sex appeal goes up at least 45%. Or stays the same, like with me.

What is an electro-acoustic guitar? An acoustic guitar with no amp? Acoustic-electric. It's an acoustic guitar that can be plugged into an amp to be made louder.

And finally, is paying £229 reasonable: The Squire Strat Pack isn't a bad starting ground at all. It's a decent guitar to start with and the amp packs all the punch you need when you start off.

Pauly
August 15th, 2005, 9:24 PM
lol should have just made a new thread.

My advice: Stick with it. You'll eventually get good. I'm finally at the point where I can sing and pick, which is a great deal more difficult than singing and stumming, and that in itself is hard to learn.

plus girls melt when you can sing and play something like "Good Riddance" by green day. I can't tell you how many blowjobs "Save Tonight" has gotten me.

i can actually... 4.

DavidUK
August 16th, 2005, 12:18 PM
I went into town to price a few guitars today and found a few really, really nice looking pieces.

Ranging from between £129 - £330, amp not included. If I can find pictures I'll post them and see what you guys think. Going to decide on one tomorrow, and probably have it bought for me within the next two days. I'll probably have a few new questions to ask, again any help would be greatly appreciated.

eugenespeed
August 16th, 2005, 2:21 PM
:heart: Really, really appreciated.

So, basically, what you have (well, Electro-guitars in general) can be used as an acoustic or an electric guitar?

an acoustic, or an amplified acoustic.

Canuck
August 18th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Anyone know a good acoustic that I can get for around $300 canadian?

eugenespeed
August 18th, 2005, 1:14 PM
Try eBay. I got my guitar on there for 100 British Pounds less than it would have been in the shops.

The Rosk
August 18th, 2005, 1:17 PM
Are the chords and whatnot the same on an electric guitar as they are an acoustic guitar?

What is an electro-acoustic guitar? An acoustic guitar with no amp?

:wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:

Pauly
August 18th, 2005, 1:21 PM
Anyone know a good acoustic that I can get for around $300 canadian?

If you want an acoustic... get a Martin. They make them in all price ranges but they are easily the best. You'll get the best value for it.

If you want an Electic acoustic, they're more expensive, but Ovation are the best out there.

Pauly
August 18th, 2005, 1:23 PM

Give the kid a break not everyone knows about guitars.

EVERY guitar plays the same. It wouldn't be a guitar if the strings weren't EADGBE (those are the notes each string plays while open).

Canuck
August 18th, 2005, 1:27 PM
If you want an acoustic... get a Martin. They make them in all price ranges but they are easily the best. You'll get the best value for it.

If you want an Electic acoustic, they're more expensive, but Ovation are the best out there.

I'll have a look around and see what I can find.

thetony
August 18th, 2005, 1:30 PM
I have three guitars, Yamaha Accoustic that I've worn down to the shits, Gibson Les Paul that I use for my band, and a Fender Squire, which was my first electric guitar.

Canuck
August 18th, 2005, 1:35 PM
I went to the site, and the only guitars that were under 300 were some triangular ones :wtf:. I'd rather get a brand new one rather than a second hand one, which is still close on 200 on ebay. I'm only beginning to play so a big name guitar isn't necessary, do you know of any lower quality names to start with?

Shooster
August 18th, 2005, 1:40 PM
Never get a guitar on ebay, being that guitars are such fine tuned and fragile instruments that you can get fucked easy on Ebay.... anyways, It's better to go to your local shop and play the guitars and find the one you think is the best.

www.musiciansfriend.com is a good place to find cheaper guitars than retail , with a big selection, but be wary of their set up and shipping... also make sure you play the guitar before you order it off the internet.

eugenespeed
August 18th, 2005, 1:42 PM
Never get a guitar on ebay, being that guitars are such fine tuned and fragile instruments that you can get fucked easy on Ebay.... anyways, It's better to go to your local shop and play the guitars and find the one you think is the best.

www.musiciansfriend.com is a good place to find cheaper guitars than retail , with a big selection, but be wary of their set up and shipping... also make sure you play the guitar before you order it off the internet.

I got a really good guitar on eBay, and it was securely packaged when it arrived.

Shooster
August 18th, 2005, 1:45 PM
To be honest, I think you're lucky that you found an honest and decent seller, but my above statement was a generalization, but still good guidelines to live by.... What guitar , by chance?

I got my telecaster from Musician's friend, and It arrived pretty flawless, but I'm in the process of buying a Martin d-28 right now, and there's no way in hell I trust a mail order company for something like that.

In my experience, shops with higher end acoustics and electrics usually treat the customer better, have a lot better support and prices.

eugenespeed
August 18th, 2005, 1:47 PM
It was a Tanglewood Odyssey TMO - 7 electro acoustic.

Pauly
August 18th, 2005, 1:59 PM
I went to the site, and the only guitars that were under 300 were some triangular ones :wtf:. I'd rather get a brand new one rather than a second hand one, which is still close on 200 on ebay. I'm only beginning to play so a big name guitar isn't necessary, do you know of any lower quality names to start with?Nah go to a Guitar center or a sam ash. Don't buy anything till you play it first. he price on he websites are always more. Not sure why but the list price means nothing.

Shooster
August 18th, 2005, 2:14 PM
www.edroman.com is a great site for good customer service and great guitars, only for serious buyers , though.

The Rosk
August 18th, 2005, 4:56 PM

I find it strange that his first port of call for learning about the utter, utter basics of guitars is on here.

That is common sense, not a matter of "knowing about" guitars.

The Rosk
August 18th, 2005, 4:56 PM
And I gave DUK advice via the wonders of MSN, before anyone gets all silly.

Judas Iscariot
August 18th, 2005, 5:02 PM
The reservations I have with getting guitars online is that you can't physically test it. Even guitars straight from the factory can have intonation problems or warps, or the action can be off. I need to feel a guitar and see how it plays for me.

DavidUK
August 18th, 2005, 6:23 PM

Sorry, I meant to say an electric guitar with no amp.

Anyway, I've got my Uncle's acoustic guitar for the next fortnight until my birthday. So far I've learned the name's of the strings and some majors and minors.

It's easier than I thought - the only part I have found difficult so far is quickly changing from one chord to another. I'll get there eventually, I suppose.

Judas Iscariot
August 18th, 2005, 8:18 PM
Nah go to a Guitar center or a sam ash. Don't buy anything till you play it first. he price on he websites are always more. Not sure why but the list price means nothing.

Preferably to Guitar Center. Every Sam Ash around me is run by burnouts in their mid-40s who never made it and now work on commission. They just want to sell, sell, sell to you.

Jimmy Zero
August 18th, 2005, 8:30 PM
Sounds a lot like Guitar Center.

I say buy on ebay. I've been using ebay for years and have never had a problem with it. I mean really, with a few exceptions, you'd have to be a complete asshole to get burned on ebay. I've gotten kick ass amps, guitars, pedals, and tons of other stuff on ebay with out anyone trying to dick me over, and, no, I have not been lucky. I'm just not an idiot.

Judas Iscariot
August 18th, 2005, 8:38 PM
Sounds a lot like Guitar Center.

Hahaha.

I just got a '59 Fender Bassman off of eBay for around 500 bucks (selling retail for around 1200) without a hitch. Just pay attention to seller feedback and you won't have a problem.

Of course, the amp has a couple of stains on the tweed (which were noted by the seller), but I'll take a couple of little cosmetic problems if it means I'm paying 700 bucks less. The way I look at it, it adds personality, anyway.

Jimmy Zero
August 18th, 2005, 9:19 PM
Hahaha.

I just got a '59 Fender Bassman off of eBay for around 500 bucks (selling retail for around 1200) without a hitch. Just pay attention to seller feedback and you won't have a problem.

Of course, the amp has a couple of stains on the tweed (which were noted by the seller), but I'll take a couple of little cosmetic problems if it means I'm paying 700 bucks less. The way I look at it, it adds personality, anyway.

Hell yeah, man. I've gotten a Classic 50's Tele off ebay for $350 and those retail for like, $650. I got a '73 Ampeg V4, a bad ass amp with an ungodly amount of power, with the original cab for a sum total of $450. Anywhere else that amp alone would have been at least $500. Before that amp, I got a Fender Bandmaster from '63 with the matching cab for $400. Those things routinely go for $800-$1000 anywhere else I've ever seen.

Like you said, you've got to be smart about buying on ebay. Only buy from sellers with an overwhelming amount of positive feedback. Obviously, not everyone will always be satisfied so there will be sellers with some negative feedback, but you can almost always tell whether it was a random occurence or something the seller frequently does.

Also, never bid on an item that doesn't have a picture of the exact thing you're bidding on. Do those two things and you'll be fine.

Oh, don't bid on anything, no matter what it is, coming out of Asia or Africa. Those are almost always scams.

Judas Iscariot
August 18th, 2005, 10:25 PM
I'm after a '52 telecaster, but I'll probably go the store-route with that, just so I can make sure of it.

You haven't had any problems with guitars off of eBay? Because I'd really rather not spend 1400 bucks on a guitar if I can get it for 600, but I'd really rather not get a guitar that has some action problems that'll be a pain in my ass.

Jimmy Zero
August 18th, 2005, 11:03 PM
I'm after a '52 telecaster, but I'll probably go the store-route with that, just so I can make sure of it.

You haven't had any problems with guitars off of eBay? Because I'd really rather not spend 1400 bucks on a guitar if I can get it for 600, but I'd really rather not get a guitar that has some action problems that'll be a pain in my ass.

No, I've never had any problems with guitars off ebay. I can definitely see why you'd rather buy something like the '52 reissue from a store, especially considering you'd get all the case candy and a warranty that you wouldn't get through ebay.

However, any action problems that'd fuck your shit could come from any number of places. The most obvious would be the guitar getting knocked around a bit through shipping, but you'd get the same problems ordering any guitar off of the internet.

Another would be the gauge strings you're putting on the guitar. Fenders come from the factory set up for .09's, so if you use .09's, you probably wouldn't need to have the action and intonation set. If you're like me and don't like pussy ass little rubber bands on your axe, you'd need to get a set up regardless of where you buy your guitar.

The only other common thing that would effect how the instrument plays would be if, for example, you got a guitar that was in a place like Colorado (where it's really dry) and you were having it shipped to a place like Louisiana. The excess humidity would cause the neck of the guitar to warp ever so slightly that it might throw the intonation and action off. Keep in mind, though, that this doesn't normally happen with Fenders.

There's also some other websites that aren't auction houses that sell used guitars. You should check some of those too. I'll try and find you the better ones, because I can't remember any of them right now.

Judas Iscariot
August 19th, 2005, 12:37 AM
No, I've never had any problems with guitars off ebay. I can definitely see why you'd rather buy something like the '52 reissue from a store, especially considering you'd get all the case candy and a warranty that you wouldn't get through ebay.

However, any action problems that'd fuck your shit could come from any number of places. The most obvious would be the guitar getting knocked around a bit through shipping, but you'd get the same problems ordering any guitar off of the internet.

Another would be the gauge strings you're putting on the guitar. Fenders come from the factory set up for .09's, so if you use .09's, you probably wouldn't need to have the action and intonation set. If you're like me and don't like pussy ass little rubber bands on your axe, you'd need to get a set up regardless of where you buy your guitar.

The only other common thing that would effect how the instrument plays would be if, for example, you got a guitar that was in a place like Colorado (where it's really dry) and you were having it shipped to a place like Louisiana. The excess humidity would cause the neck of the guitar to warp ever so slightly that it might throw the intonation and action off. Keep in mind, though, that this doesn't normally happen with Fenders.

There's also some other websites that aren't auction houses that sell used guitars. You should check some of those too. I'll try and find you the better ones, because I can't remember any of them right now.

You know, while I've considered humidity, I've never considered regions. Hm.

I used 11s for a while but I've since moved down to 10s.

I've had this current guitar (a MexiTele) for a good 5 years. I'm more than overdue for an upgrade. Needed a louder amp first, though (enter the Bassman), so I'll get on my new tele now and then I'll be a walking sex machine.

THEN I can tinker with my current telecaster and turn it into some sort of monster. It'll be fucking GRAND.

DavidUK
August 19th, 2005, 6:37 AM
Out of interest, what was the first solo/song you guys learned? Can you recommend some simple ones for me to attempt?

Alf
August 19th, 2005, 6:58 AM
Smoke on the water :)

Canuck
August 19th, 2005, 10:56 AM
First song i've learned was Seven nation army - The white stripes. I can still only play simple songs so heres a few...

Otherside - Red hot chilli peppers
Enter sandman - Metallica
Scar Tissue - RHCP
No rain - Blind Melon
True love waits - Radiohead

Hardcore Holly Fan
August 19th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Any Oasis song

Jimmy Zero
August 19th, 2005, 11:42 AM
First two songs I learned were Come As You Are and With A Little Help From My Friends.

Judas Iscariot
August 19th, 2005, 12:05 PM
"When I Come Around" by Green Day :headbang: :headbang:

First real solo (one that requires skill, unlike, say, Smells Like Teen Spirit), was "Whole Lotta Love" by Zep.

DavidUK
August 19th, 2005, 1:09 PM
First song i've learned was Seven nation army - The white stripes. I can still only play simple songs so heres a few...

Funnily enough, I was strumming away today and done something that sounded like Seven Nation Army. I realised then that it should be an easy one to pull off.

I've been practicing Tambourine Man by Bob Dylan, but am having trouble keeping up with the speed of the song. I can pull off all the chords individually but getting from one to the next is proving rather diffuclt. I know that it's one of those things that comes as you practice, but I can see it taking a long time.

Enter sandman - Metallica

I'd love to learn the solo at the beginning of For Whom the Bell Tolls by Metallica, but that's likely to be a long time away.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who recommended, I'll bare the songs in mind.

Canuck
August 19th, 2005, 3:30 PM
I can't play any solos yet :ashamed:

My friend can play it though :yes:

eugenespeed
August 19th, 2005, 3:33 PM
Sorry if I sound like bragging here, I don't me too, and that is the furthest thought from my mind, but For Whom The Bell Tolls is a piece of piss.

The main riff is mostly power chords, and the solo isn't that advanced.

Tab here: http://www.guitarists.net/tab/view.php?id=23744

Judas Iscariot
August 19th, 2005, 3:39 PM
The little "Do do do do do do" on the guitar is sexy. You've gotta know what I'm talking about. It's just so cool.

Rough to play many blazing solos on a tele, though.

Canuck
August 19th, 2005, 3:40 PM
Thunderstruck isn't as hard as I expected it to be. Learn that one :yes:

eugenespeed
August 19th, 2005, 3:40 PM
I think I know what you mean, it's like an old rock and roll riff?

taker47
August 19th, 2005, 5:42 PM
Shoot for "Damage Case," by Motorhead. Any Early Metallica is simple("Jump in the Fire" is mildly difficult at first). "Am I Evil," by Diamond Head is good, too. The solo's pretty easy, and the main riff is slow and easy to play and sing to at the same time.

cbac
August 25th, 2005, 5:33 PM
The little "Do do do do do do" on the guitar is sexy. You've gotta know what I'm talking about. It's just so cool.

Rough to play many blazing solos on a tele, though.

I think that's due to the fat neck.
I picked up my 72 Tele Custom for a whopping 150 bucks due the an advertising typo. The ad was supposed to have the word "lookalike" or something to that effect. I saw the ad, ripped it out of the paper and ran to the shop. Pointed at the black one off to the side. The owner said AWWW CRAP!@*&@$#* but wrote it up anyway. Got a hardshell case for another 70.
I don't know, there are some wicked country solos played on a Tele and who was it? Roy Gallager? (sic) He tore that rascal up.

Shooster
August 25th, 2005, 9:28 PM
I think that's due to the fat neck.
I picked up my 72 Tele Custom for a whopping 150 bucks due the an advertising typo. The ad was supposed to have the word "lookalike" or something to that effect. I saw the ad, ripped it out of the paper and ran to the shop. Pointed at the black one off to the side. The owner said AWWW CRAP!@*&@$#* but wrote it up anyway. Got a hardshell case for another 70.
I don't know, there are some wicked country solos played on a Tele and who was it? Roy Gallager? (sic) He tore that rascal up.

Not to mention the solo to Stairway to Heaven, one of the most well known and revered solos in history. Come to think of it, most Led Zeppelin solos weer done on a tele.

Canuck
August 25th, 2005, 9:31 PM
Anyone know a good site to find tabs?

Looking for Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley specifically

Judas Iscariot
August 25th, 2005, 9:36 PM
Wicked solos, sure. I'm talking about mindless shredding, though. Need a girly, light, thin guitar for those.

cbac
August 26th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Anyone know a good site to find tabs?

Looking for Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley specifically

http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.guitartabs.cc/fetchfile.php?fileid=12132795

don't know if that's what your looking for.

I banged it out on the piano one day. Nice tune.

or this, it's formatted a bit. http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.guitartabs.cc/fetchfile.php?fileid=14153726

Canuck
August 26th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Excellent :yes:

Alf
August 26th, 2005, 12:54 PM
"When I Come Around" by Green Day :headbang: :headbang:

First real solo (one that requires skill, unlike, say, Smells Like Teen Spirit), was "Whole Lotta Love" by Zep.

The first solo you learnt was Whole Lotta Love? Jesus H Christ. I still have difficulty with that and I've been playing for yonks.

Osi
August 27th, 2005, 9:34 PM
The first riff I learned was the first riff in Sweet Dreams by Manson I think. My first solo was the fun little one at the beginning of Fade to Black by Metallica.

I tried to learn the solo in Floods by Pantera the other day. You can probably guess how well that went.:$

Dynomite
August 27th, 2005, 9:51 PM
The first riff I learned was the first riff in Sweet Dreams by Manson I think.

LOL, that was the first riff I learnt too. Manson riffs are normally a good place to start, because there are easy yet sound good, if that makes sense.

Osi
August 27th, 2005, 9:57 PM
Yeah. My brother had a guitar and I didn't, and that was like the only riff I knew for like 3 years. It got kind of played out after a while.

Dynomite
August 27th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Yeah. My brother had a guitar and I didn't, and that was like the only riff I knew for like 3 years. It got kind of played out after a while.

LOL, i remember at school people would go on about how they could play Sweet Dreams, and Beautiful People, that was, until I showed them, how the play the entire songs not just the main riff

Sancty
August 28th, 2005, 3:04 AM
Any Oasis song

Agreed

Jimmy Zero
August 28th, 2005, 9:41 AM
Not to mention the solo to Stairway to Heaven, one of the most well known and revered solos in history. Come to think of it, most Led Zeppelin solos weer done on a tele.

Led Zep I was exclusively recorded on the '58 Tele that Jeff Beck gave to Page as a thank you for getting him the gig with the Yardbirds when Page left to form Zep. The amp he used was some old 15 watt Supro, or something like that.

Around the time they were recording II, which was not long after they recorded I, some doofus was fiddling with the wiring in the '58 and, consequently, Page felt it never sounded how it should after that. Since then, with the exception of Stairway and a few other later Zep songs, most of his guitar playing has been on a Les Paul.

Kris
August 28th, 2005, 10:06 AM

EVERY guitar plays the same. It wouldn't be a guitar if the strings weren't EADGBE (those are the notes each string plays while open).

So a Seven-String isn't a guitar? So a baritone isn't a guitar? So tuning to open A for slide makes it not a guitar? *insert your own other examples*

Dynomite
August 30th, 2005, 2:25 AM
Drop D-Tuning?
C-Tuning?
Drop-Tuning?

Sorry Korn Pauly says you don't play real guitars;

What about 12 String guitars?

Jimmy Zero
August 30th, 2005, 2:28 AM
Korn just aren't real guitar players.

Dynomite
August 30th, 2005, 2:30 AM
Korn just aren't real guitar players.

Why, because they don't do solos?

Canuck
August 30th, 2005, 4:47 PM
How hard are U2 songs to learn?

Jimmy Zero
August 30th, 2005, 7:56 PM
Why, because they don't do solos?

They don't even play chords.

King101
August 31st, 2005, 2:55 PM
They still play guitars - those things in their hands aren't holograms.

I dont think anybody would call Korn good guitarists, they were just used as an example as they don't follow the 'traditional' style.

Jimmy Zero
August 31st, 2005, 3:08 PM
Oh?!?!?!!?!?! Is that what he was doing?

DavidUK
September 7th, 2005, 7:01 AM
Well, I've had my guitar for a couple of days now, and have been practising a few chords. I thought I'd find myself a simple song to attempt - Wonderwall.

Aye, simple my arse:

http://www.guitaretab.com/o/oasis/13758.html

What's all this Em7, Dsus4, A7sus4, Cadd9 stuff all about?

Canuck
September 7th, 2005, 8:49 AM
Not really sure, but my guess would be E-minor and the likes of that :dunno:

DavidUK
September 7th, 2005, 12:38 PM
You could be right, actually.

Anyone know for certain?

Jimmy Zero
September 7th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Well, I've had my guitar for a couple of days now, and have been practising a few chords. I thought I'd find myself a simple song to attempt - Wonderwall.

Aye, simple my arse:

http://www.guitaretab.com/o/oasis/13758.html

What's all this Em7, Dsus4, A7sus4, Cadd9 stuff all about?

No, he's not right. Em is E minor. Those chords you listed are variations on the fourth and seventh and ninth intervals of regular major and minor chords. Don't worry about those. That's getting into theory which, unless you're already a musician, you don't need to worry about just yet. Once you learn scales, if you do, they'll make more sense. Just work on the basic open chords first. A, C, D, E, G and their minor chords. Once you get the E chord down you'll be able to play barre chords also.

Oasis songs actually seem to have a lot of those types of chords. Look for early Beatles songs. Most of those have straight forward chord arrangements that are easy for beginners.

DavidUK
September 7th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Hmmm, I think I understand that. Thanks, I appreciate it.

So, take Dsus4 for example, what does that mean exactly? What would that be for someone who isn't 'already a musician?'

Judas Iscariot
September 7th, 2005, 1:00 PM
Here's a fantastic site that'll tell you how to finger any chord you come across and also preview how it'll sound:

http://www.8notes.com/guitar_chord_chart/

DavidUK
September 7th, 2005, 1:02 PM
Brilliance. Thanks very much.

:heart:

Jimmy Zero
September 7th, 2005, 1:09 PM
Hmmm, I think I understand that. Thanks, I appreciate it.

So, take Dsus4 for example, what does that mean exactly? What would that be for someone who isn't 'already a musician?'

D suspended 4th. I think. I haven't paid attention to my theory for a good 5 years, but I'm pretty sure that's what it is.

Canuck
September 7th, 2005, 1:36 PM
No, he's not right. Em is E minor. Those chords you listed are variations on the fourth and seventh and ninth intervals of regular major and minor chords. Don't worry about those. That's getting into theory which, unless you're already a musician, you don't need to worry about just yet. Once you learn scales, if you do, they'll make more sense. Just work on the basic open chords first. A, C, D, E, G and their minor chords. Once you get the E chord down you'll be able to play barre chords also.

Oasis songs actually seem to have a lot of those types of chords. Look for early Beatles songs. Most of those have straight forward chord arrangements that are easy for beginners.

:wtf:

How am I wrong, when you said the exact same thing?

Jimmy Zero
September 7th, 2005, 1:40 PM
:wtf:

How am I wrong, when you said the exact same thing?

You were wrong, though. Em and Em7 are different chords. No need to get in a tizzy about it.

And you didn't say the same thing. I gave him an explanation as to was sus4 and add9 are. You said, "E minor and the likes of that," which doesn't really explain anything and isn't right anyhow.

Canuck
September 7th, 2005, 1:44 PM
It could've helped :\

Jimmy Zero
September 7th, 2005, 1:47 PM
It's ok. Maybe next time.

DavidUK
September 7th, 2005, 6:43 PM
G|----9---7------5-----7--------|----9---7------5-----7--------|

Right, lads, as far as I know that means I play the G chord on the 9th fret, then the 7th etc.

So, playing the G chord on the 9th fret - doesn't the G chord use two frets? Would I use 8 and 9, or 9 and 10?

Jimmy Zero
September 7th, 2005, 6:54 PM
I don't really understand what you're asking.

Are you asking how to play a G power chord (using two fingers)?

The way you posted that tab would mean you're playing at those frets on the same string.

DavidUK
September 7th, 2005, 7:05 PM
Sorry, I should have used that website Judas linked to in here to help.

http://www.8notes.com/guitar_chord_chart/G.asp

That is the G chord. How can I possibely play that on one fret? Or am I missing something, something about power chords?

Jimmy Zero
September 7th, 2005, 7:21 PM
Sorry, I should have used that website Judas linked to in here to help.

http://www.8notes.com/guitar_chord_chart/G.asp

That is the G chord. How can I possibely play that on one fret? Or am I missing something, something about power chords?

Now I get it.

That first diagram is really the only one you need to learn right now. That's an open G. Your middle finger goes where the first dot is, your index on the second dot, and your ring on the third dot. The strings that have the "o" over them are open, which means you don't put your fingers on them but you still play them.

What's confusing you are the barre chords. Take a look at the diagram third from bottom. What you do there is barre, or hold down, the 6th string as well as the first and second with your index finger (sixth being fattest string, first being skinniest). Then, you basically use the same finger position you would for an open E chord to complete the chord. I wouldn't worry about those until you get the open chords down first, especially the E. Once you get those down and know how the chord is supposed to sound, it'll be easier.

them69
September 7th, 2005, 8:35 PM
Pinky instead of 4th on the high E makes life a lot easier for the G chord then 4th finger on low E and 3rd on A, it allows you to switch to other chords such as C, C/G, D etc much more easily. It's just a bitch to get down at first.

Judas Iscariot
September 9th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Pinky instead of 4th on the high E makes life a lot easier for the G chord then 4th finger on low E and 3rd on A, it allows you to switch to other chords such as C, C/G, D etc much more easily. It's just a bitch to get down at first.

:yes: :yes: :yes:

People look at me like I'm crazy when I play it like that.

Ring finger on the E, middle finger on the A, pinky on the high E.

Alf
September 9th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Never tried that... interesting.

I'm so used to switching between G's and C's that I can change pretty swiftly now.

cbac
September 9th, 2005, 11:33 AM

Just as an exercise to increase agility and finger strength, barre (pick a fret0 and play three chord runs. when you go back to standard the G you described is much easier.

DavidUK
September 9th, 2005, 1:57 PM
Heh, I naturally started playing G's that way but I'm trying to get out of the habit.

I need to buy a capo, apparently. A bloody tenner.

cbac
September 9th, 2005, 4:56 PM
http://www.shubb.com/GIF/product%20thumbnails/C1B-t.gif

I use one of these, it's a Shubb. That adjuster is great, no rattles. Around 20 bucks US.

Canuck
September 9th, 2005, 5:10 PM
I get to choose a song to learn in guitar class, only thing is i'm not good. Can anyone help me with a fairly easy, but good song to learn? Hows Wonderwall to learn?

Jimmy Zero
September 9th, 2005, 6:08 PM
Wonderwall is fairly easy, if I remember correctly. It uses some of those weirder chords though, so I don't know how that would play into your decision.

What kind of music do you like, as far as what you play on your guitar? California Sun (Ramones style) is really fun to play and really easy, for example.

The Rosk
September 9th, 2005, 7:25 PM
Wonderwall is ridculously easy. For 2/3 of the song, you don't move two fingers on your hand.

DavidUK
September 9th, 2005, 7:32 PM
Pfffft, listen to smartarse over there.

Canuck
September 10th, 2005, 8:08 AM
I like to play picking songs like No Rain and Scar Tissue (Some of the only ones I can play). Wonderwall isn't a picking song i'm sure, but we've got to mix it up in this class and start learning both. Is there any radiohead songs that a fairly easy to play, U2 or Blind Melon even?

eugenespeed
September 10th, 2005, 8:13 AM
Radiohead, I'd either say Thinking About You or No Suprises are quite easy.

Anyway, a question:

I'm considering buying an electric guitar (for a change, as I'm more of an acoustic player). Now, I can play guitar, so I'm not after a practise one, (i.e encore, hohner etc), and want a decent sounding one, but nothing too expensive. Can anyone recommend any guitars around the £200 (probably around $350) mark?

I was considering a Squire Stratocaster.

cbac
September 10th, 2005, 4:01 PM

Anyway, a question:

I'm considering buying an electric guitar (for a change, as I'm more of an acoustic player). Now, I can play guitar, so I'm not after a practise one, (i.e encore, hohner etc), and want a decent sounding one, but nothing too expensive. Can anyone recommend any guitars around the £200 (probably around $350) mark?

You could go with a Squire or you could look at the Epiphones. They have a semi Hollow body based on the Gibson ES-335 that as an acoustic player might be an easier transition.
The Fender Standard Strats start at 369. or so. Sorry, just don't like the Squires. No real reason. :dunno:
Chaeck out Sam Ash or Musician's Friend .

Judas Iscariot
September 11th, 2005, 1:52 AM

Anyway, a question:

You can get a standard Mexican strat or tele for $350.

Squire Strat is more of a "practice" one, I guess. Spring for something more than that since you can already play.

cbac
September 11th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Wow, we essentially said the same thing.

them69
September 11th, 2005, 1:32 PM
Heh, I naturally started playing G's that way but I'm trying to get out of the habit.

I need to buy a capo, apparently. A bloody tenner.

capos are awesome, I couldn't live without one

Judas Iscariot
September 11th, 2005, 11:36 PM
Wow, we essentially said the same thing.

Haha, little slow there, I was.

Jimmy Zero
September 12th, 2005, 2:13 PM
SquiERs have gotten pretty damn nice in the last couple years, all things considered. Obviously, they're not amazing guitars, but for the price they are a good deal. They're a million times better than the garbage they used to churn out in the early and mid '90's. The Squier Custom Teles are especially nice. The M80's are good too.

Still, if you wanted to spend a couple hundred more you could find a good MIM Classic series Fender, which are steals. They're basically American made surplus parts that are assembled in their Mexican facility. They do use lower grade pick ups, but for another $60 or so dollars you can buy new ones and have a guitar just as good as any American made Fender. I got a Classic '50's Tele off eBay for $400 and put a Seymour Duncan Broadcaster bridge PU in it and I think it plays better than just about any American Tele I've come across.

PMBR
September 13th, 2005, 2:29 AM
im not gonna sit here and read 17 pages of this to see if this song has already been added.

Green Day - Brain Stew
Papa Roach - Last Resort
System Of A Down - Aerials (learn the bass line instead. sounds good on guitar)

Canuck
September 13th, 2005, 2:29 PM
You could realize that the thread was made 2 years ago, and that we're not really recommending him songs anymore :yes:

Jimmy Zero
September 13th, 2005, 2:56 PM
Yes, but that would require reading, and he's already demonstrated he has a rudimentary understanding of how that's done.

PMBR
September 13th, 2005, 11:36 PM
Yes, but that would require reading, and he's already demonstrated he has a rudimentary understanding of how that's done.
did you not read the first line of my statement? i said plainly and bluntly that i didnt feel like reading 17 pages of it.

Jimmy Zero
September 14th, 2005, 3:00 AM
Sorry, I forgot to clarify. You're a lazy idiot.

PMBR
September 14th, 2005, 3:02 AM
Sorry, I forgot to clarify. You're a lazy idiot.
and you are a self-gratifying pussy. so i guess we are even

Jimmy Zero
September 14th, 2005, 3:14 AM
Women want self gratifying pussies, not lazy idiots.

PMBR
September 14th, 2005, 3:38 AM
you realize that your insults are beginning to look extremely similar to those of Church? thats just sad

Jimmy Zero
September 14th, 2005, 1:24 PM
Do you realize that you're a completely useless moron and no one is interested in your opinion so you might as well not give it?

And, if I knew who Church was I might care. No, I wouldn't.

cbac
September 15th, 2005, 6:23 PM
SquiERs have gotten pretty damn nice in the last couple years, all things considered. Obviously, they're not amazing guitars, but for the price they are a good deal. They're a million times better than the garbage they used to churn out in the early and mid '90's. The Squier Custom Teles are especially nice. The M80's are good too.

Still, if you wanted to spend a couple hundred more you could find a good MIM Classic series Fender, which are steals. They're basically American made surplus parts that are assembled in their Mexican facility. They do use lower grade pick ups, but for another $60 or so dollars you can buy new ones and have a guitar just as good as any American made Fender. I got a Classic '50's Tele off eBay for $400 and put a Seymour Duncan Broadcaster bridge PU in it and I think it plays better than just about any American Tele I've come across.

I agree with the pickup thing. I took my original '72 Tele Custom over to the Guitar Center and we compared the tome to the Classic. The Classic looked the same, almost weighed as much but lacked the sound. The Humbucker was flat and the single coil just did have the bite.
It coul have been the age of my pickups but I didn't see the Classic improving as is over the ages.
But yea, for the price and a change of pickups, maybe reinforcing the grounds and solder points while it's open, it would be a better choice than a Squier.

Jimmy Zero
September 15th, 2005, 7:51 PM
Yeah, that seems to be the general consensus as far as Widerange humbucker fans go. I can't remember who makes faithful repros of those pick ups. I want to say either Seth Lover, the guy who designed the buckers on the '70's teles, still makes and markets a recreation. Maybe it was Fender. I can't remember right now.

Judas Iscariot
September 15th, 2005, 10:18 PM
If you want to put humbuckers in a tele, why don' you just go ahead and get a Gibson or a Les Paul? Something was made made for humbuckers? A tele was made to have twang and bark.

cbac
September 16th, 2005, 3:06 PM
If you want to put humbuckers in a tele, why don' you just go ahead and get a Gibson or a Les Paul? Something was made made for humbuckers? A tele was made to have twang and bark.

It still has the twang, bark and all that. I think I got it in '78 for 150 bucks. :dunno:

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/491/tele72cust1ew.jpg

Kris
September 16th, 2005, 5:35 PM
I want your tele :(

Kris
September 16th, 2005, 5:45 PM
My guitar is still purdy by the way. The squier strat that was my first gets more and more beat up everyday though...

http://www.kristiandye.co.uk/random/geetar.jpg

Jimmy Zero
September 16th, 2005, 5:53 PM
It still has the twang, bark and all that. I think I got it in '78 for 150 bucks. :dunno:

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/491/tele72cust1ew.jpg

Fuck, dude. You just got a whole hell of a lot cooler in my eyes. That tele is the absolute shit. Anyone that rocks one of those is a bad ass. I'd like to get my hands on either one of those, or a Tele Deluxe at some point. Oh man, those are sweet.

cbac
September 17th, 2005, 1:22 AM
I want your tele :(

There's a quote right at the end of the movie The Alamo by Billy Bob Thorton playing Davy Crockett. He's about to be executed by Santa Anna's men when he says, "I have to warn you fellas, I'm a screamer".
I named my Tele Davy after seeing that. :cool:

cbac
September 17th, 2005, 1:33 AM
Fuck, dude. You just got a whole hell of a lot cooler in my eyes. That tele is the absolute shit. Anyone that rocks one of those is a bad ass. I'd like to get my hands on either one of those, or a Tele Deluxe at some point. Oh man, those are sweet.

The Strat is a Frankenstein beast. It was built by a tech at a long gone guitar shop. 72 neck, unknown body. The yellowed pickups are 57s the white one is a 64. Solid brass tailpiece. Knobs are 60ish. The 2nd and 4th switch positions ar cophased so they have a 'tubular?" tone to them. Hell the whole thing is a work of tone. I put four coats of urethane on the body after I got it, it had been stripped allready. I think it was originally some kind of California blue judging from the paint remnant that's under the springs.
The only mod I did to it was resolder the grounding, still can't conquer that inherent strat background hum.

Jimmy Zero
September 17th, 2005, 5:49 PM
Is the guitar shielded? That would cut down on the 60 cycle hum.

Second City Saint
September 18th, 2005, 12:54 PM
easy stuff is about a girl and heartbreaker (zeppelin) other stuff's been mentioned

Judas Iscariot
September 18th, 2005, 2:47 PM
I dare anyone to say that Heartbreaker guitar solo is easy.

cbac
September 18th, 2005, 11:08 PM
Is the guitar shielded? That would cut down on the 60 cycle hum.

Yes, it's shielded. I think the major problem is that the Strat combined with the tube amp have a natural buzz about them. I can run it down with the adjustment or the polarity switch on the amp. Mostly it's due to the plg in the music room not being grounded. I never noticed it onstage.
It's actulally only something I pick up on if I think about it.
If I turn the light dimmers off it cuts it down a lot.

cbac
September 18th, 2005, 11:09 PM
My guitar is still purdy by the way. The squier strat that was my first gets more and more beat up everyday though...

http://www.kristiandye.co.uk/random/geetar.jpg

I love the finish on that axe K. :eek:

Kris
September 18th, 2005, 11:15 PM
It's bootiful and I luv it :)

cbac
September 18th, 2005, 11:57 PM
The couch ...it looks like someone has sat there for ages. :)

Tell me aboot the amp.

Jimmy Zero
September 19th, 2005, 12:01 AM
Yes, it's shielded. I think the major problem is that the Strat combined with the tube amp have a natural buzz about them. I can run it down with the adjustment or the polarity switch on the amp. Mostly it's due to the plg in the music room not being grounded. I never noticed it onstage.
It's actulally only something I pick up on if I think about it.
If I turn the light dimmers off it cuts it down a lot.

Yeah. I mean, a single coil guitar is going to have a certain amount of hum no matter what (as I'm sure you're aware) barring those vintage noiseless things from Fender.

If it usuall only happens at your house, or wherever you do most of your playing, you've probably just got old wiring in the walls and all that. Flourescent lights also tend to add noise to the signal so that also might do it.

Unfortunately, this is unavoidable when using single coil guitars.

Jimmy Zero
September 19th, 2005, 12:01 AM
Fucking gay double post.

cbac
September 19th, 2005, 12:51 AM
Yeah. I mean, a single coil guitar is going to have a certain amount of hum no matter what (as I'm sure you're aware) barring those vintage noiseless things from Fender.

If it usuall only happens at your house, or wherever you do most of your playing, you've probably just got old wiring in the walls and all that. Flourescent lights also tend to add noise to the signal so that also might do it.

Unfortunately, this is unavoidable when using single coil guitars.

It was mostly the dimmer switches in the music room. I shut them off and the hum is minimal. bahh I'm used to it. I mean a vintage Strat and a Vintage tube amp ain't supposed to sound clean and pretty is it?

Kris
September 19th, 2005, 8:11 AM
The couch ...it looks like someone has sat there for ages. :)

Tell me aboot the amp.

It's a Marshall MG30FX, it's got that valve simulation shit in it, and some digital effects, the clean channel is awesomely blusey when you crank it up. The gain can be a little much on the overdrive channel, but if you hit the mix just right, it sounds awesome. Plus all that gain can be good for annoying my neighbours from time to time.

Judas Iscariot
September 19th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Plus all that gain can be good for annoying my neighbours from time to time.

I went out to get some food last week and when I came back, my neighbors had parked their car in such a way that they took up two parking spots in front of my house so that I had to park around the block.

I went home, ate my tacos, and put my Bassman up against the wall (I live in an attached house) set it around seven, and proceeded to "This Charming Man" in one endless, 20 minute loop.

Jimmy Zero
September 19th, 2005, 1:34 PM
It was mostly the dimmer switches in the music room. I shut them off and the hum is minimal. bahh I'm used to it. I mean a vintage Strat and a Vintage tube amp ain't supposed to sound clean and pretty is it?

Hell no. It's supposed to sound bad ass and rocking, which I'm sure it does. Man, I want a vintage Strat. Now all I have to do is come up on several thousand dollars and I'll be good to go.

DavidUK
September 19th, 2005, 1:56 PM
Someone told me I should re-tune my guitar every three days.

Surely it doesn't have to be that often?

cbac
September 19th, 2005, 2:37 PM
hahaaaa sorry. I tune mine three or six times a day.

Kris
September 19th, 2005, 4:37 PM
I tune mine whenever it needs tuning. I find the music is sweeter that way.

Jimmy Zero
September 19th, 2005, 9:49 PM
Re-tune it when it sounds like it needs to be tuned. It's that simple.

Canuck
September 19th, 2005, 9:59 PM
Wooo I just learned street spirit. I'm not quite as fast as Radiohead yet, but i'll get there :yes:

Kris
September 20th, 2005, 12:30 AM
ffaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaade ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut agaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaain

if you're so inclined, learn Back in Black, it's easy, sounds awesome, and impresses people :)

Kris
September 20th, 2005, 10:22 AM
I have lost all my picks, so today I am using a penny.

Canuck
September 20th, 2005, 3:35 PM
Someone told me using a penny wasn't good for the guitar. Either puts it out of tune, or is bad for the strings or something :dunno:

Back in black eh :chin: :yes:

Jimmy Zero
September 20th, 2005, 3:48 PM
Nah, it doesn't matter. It's probably not good for the strings, but it won't ruin them either.

Newf
September 20th, 2005, 4:07 PM
Fender Standard Strat with a Fender 15R amp.

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/812/standardstrat5bn.jpg

The Rosk
September 20th, 2005, 4:29 PM
A penny, Kris? Christ pal, you're not 14. Use your fingernails.

Kris
September 20th, 2005, 4:30 PM
I don't have any, I lost them in Vietnam.

cbac
September 20th, 2005, 7:49 PM
I don't have any, I lost them in Vietnam.

Then use yer little nubbies. :p

I never got used to a pick, they fly out of my hand a randon moments.

I just use my nails and fingers.

I got blisters on them.

Kris
September 20th, 2005, 7:54 PM
I got good hard callouses on my fretting hand, none on the picking hand.

cbac
September 20th, 2005, 8:06 PM
Ever sewn your fingers together just to wierd out your friends?

Canuck
September 20th, 2005, 8:11 PM
Super glued them :yes:

Anyone know how difficult The Arcade fire's rebellion is?

Kris
September 20th, 2005, 8:13 PM
Ever sewn your fingers together just to wierd out your friends?

Not sewn, but put a safety pin through...

cbac
September 20th, 2005, 8:58 PM
That'll do. ;)

N.E.R.F.
September 21st, 2005, 7:55 AM
I've never used a pick. Much prefer the sound of fingers on strings.

And anyone who uses a pick on a bass should have his arms amputated.

Kris
September 21st, 2005, 8:19 AM
Anyone who plays slap bass should fuck off back to the 70s

Jimmy Zero
September 21st, 2005, 12:23 PM
Anyone who plays slap bass should fuck off back to the 70s

Yes.

I use a pick on a bass. Half the time when I'm playing bass, I'm too damn stoned to bother with finger picking.

The Rosk
September 21st, 2005, 2:13 PM
Then use yer little nubbies. :p

I never got used to a pick, they fly out of my hand a randon moments.

I just use my nails and fingers.

I got blisters on them.

I just love playing with the fingers. I guess the main reason is because I learnt classical guitar first, and then became a virtuoso of the rock world.

thetony
September 21st, 2005, 4:10 PM
Hmm, I was in a studio with my band, and after we were done, the guy that owned us asked us if we wanted to watch their band jam..

When I went in, the guitarist was tuning his guitar in some way I've never seen before.
He kind of, plucked the 5th fret for each string, just enough to get the sound of it, and tuned it to the sound.

2 weeks later and I'm trying to figure out what to do.

Jimmy Zero
September 21st, 2005, 5:24 PM
He was tuning to the harmonics.

The Rosk
September 21st, 2005, 5:31 PM
Hmm, I was in a studio with my band, and after we were done, the guy that owned us asked us if we wanted to watch their band jam..

When I went in, the guitarist was tuning his guitar in some way I've never seen before.
He kind of, plucked the 5th fret for each string, just enough to get the sound of it, and tuned it to the sound.

Hold on, you're in a band and you don't know about relative tuning?

Kris
September 21st, 2005, 6:15 PM
Harmonic Tuning Rosky, Harmonics.

Relative tuning is hilarious when lam0rs do it, they end up so off I want to punch them

The Rosk
September 21st, 2005, 6:27 PM
Harmonic Tuning Rosky, Harmonics.

Relative tuning is hilarious when lam0rs do it, they end up so off I want to punch them

I misread it. It looked like relative tuning from my one eye glancing on the screen whilst watching Lost, anyway, what with the whole 5th fret fiasco.

cbac
September 21st, 2005, 6:28 PM

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Guitar:Tuning_the_Guitar#Harmonic_tuning

This might explain it better.

Shooster
September 23rd, 2005, 6:24 PM
I felt really stuck in a rut for a while with my playing, playing mostly blues and rock & roll, but then I started getting into Jazz guitar, and while not my bag to listen to , it's sure fun to play, and quite the learning experience.

thetony
September 23rd, 2005, 7:47 PM
Hold on, you're in a band and you don't know about relative tuning?

Yes. :(
I want to learnnn.

thetony
September 23rd, 2005, 7:48 PM
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Guitar:Tuning_the_Guitar#Harmonic_tuning

This might explain it better.

Thanks man.

eugenespeed
October 12th, 2005, 4:07 PM
A quick question for the Acoustic guitar players.

What gauge string would you recommend? I'm getting some new ones tomorrow and facny a change in sound. I think I've got medium on my guitar at the moment.

In your opinion, which one gives the best sound.

Judas Iscariot
October 12th, 2005, 4:30 PM
I'm using 12 gauge strings on my acoustic right now. I use 10's on my electric for comparison's sake. You'll get better tone with thicker strings (generally), and they don't break as easily, but they can be bastards to bend.

eugenespeed
October 12th, 2005, 4:42 PM
Can I ask something. I normally judge my strings by the extra light, light, medium etc gauge, but I have heard a lot of guitarist use, like you have Judas Iscariot, 10's 12 etc. What do the numbers actually mean?

(Sorry if that sounds like a novice question!)

Judas Iscariot
October 12th, 2005, 4:45 PM
Refers to the inches of circumfrance (or is it diameter) of the strings. 12's are .012 inches starting with the high E-string, getting thicker to .053 for the low E.

In mm's, I guess 12's would be referred to as 30's, since they're .30 millimeters.

Don't use lighter strings. They don't sound good, they break, go out of tune, and they don't encourage finger strength.

eugenespeed
October 12th, 2005, 4:48 PM
Refers to the inches of circumfrance (or is it diameter) of the strings. 12's are .012 inches starting with the high E-string, getting thicker to .053 for the low E.

In mm's, I guess 12's would be referred to as 30's, since they're .30 millimeters.

Don't use lighter strings. They don't sound good, they break, go out of tune, and they don't encourage finger strength.

I've just did a bit of research, what I would call medium gauge are 12's.

Thanks for that.

I can now go and have a conversation in my local music shop!

Jimmy Zero
October 12th, 2005, 5:00 PM
.12's are actually towards the heavier side of strings. Normally, when people refer to medium gauge strings, they're typically talking about .10's or .11's. Heavy gauges are generally .12's and up, though I've never really heard of anyone using a gauge higher than .13's. Even .13's aren't all that common. I usually only see surf guitar guys using strings that heavy. Unless you were talking acoustic gauges, which are thicker than electric gauges anyways.

Most people are pussies and use .9's. I one met a guy who used .8's and couldn't figure out why his guitar sounded like it was strung up with rubber bands. It literally sounded like a milk carton guitar.

eugenespeed
October 12th, 2005, 5:03 PM
.12's are actually towards the heavier side of strings. Normally, when people refer to medium gauge strings, they're typically talking about .10's or .11's. Heavy gauges are generally .12's and up, though I've never really heard of anyone using a gauge higher than .13's. Even .13's aren't all that common. I usually only see surf guitar guys using strings that heavy. Unless you were talking acoustic gauges, which are thicker than electric gauges anyways.

Most people are pussies and use .9's. I one met a guy who used .8's and couldn't figure out why his guitar sounded like it was strung up with rubber bands. It literally sounded like a milk carton guitar.

I'm referring to acoustic guitars mate.

I play a Tanglewood Odyssey Acoustic, and I'm getting some new strings tomorrow, so I was going to plump for the medium gauge strings.

Jimmy Zero
October 12th, 2005, 5:15 PM
Nice. I'm a wussy when it comes to acoustics. I like big string bends and I can't do it with those medium to heavy gauge acoustic strings. I should practice more on my acoustic, which is actually a really nice Martin. Man, I'm going to go play it.

eugenespeed
October 12th, 2005, 5:30 PM
Nice. I'm a wussy when it comes to acoustics. I like big string bends and I can't do it with those medium to heavy gauge acoustic strings. I should practice more on my acoustic, which is actually a really nice Martin. Man, I'm going to go play it.

Go for it. I can play arpeggios on a guitar, but for some reason, I'm more of a chord guy. I love playing a good progression on my guitar, plugged into an amp at full volume.

them69
October 12th, 2005, 10:13 PM

I :heart: my Martin.

It sounds absolutely wonderful with mediums, which obviously renders it useless for bends. But still, it sounds sooo good.

Kris
October 13th, 2005, 3:53 PM
I use Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkies on my LP, I think the high e is a 9, and the bottom e is a 46...

Judas Iscariot
October 13th, 2005, 5:58 PM
Woman.

Kris
October 13th, 2005, 5:59 PM
Yeah, I'm girlish...

eugenespeed
October 13th, 2005, 7:01 PM
Yeah, I'm girlish...

Hey, it's just personal preference.

cbac
October 23rd, 2005, 11:36 AM
Nashville tuning is a little more involved than just tuning your guitar differently. It's also known as high-stringing a guitar because different strings need to be used. It creates a 12 string effect on a 6 string guitar. The simplest way to explain it is, you use the high octave strings of a 12 string set of strings on a six-string guitar. The first two strings of your instrument (high E and B) remain unchanged, and the lower four strings (G through low E) are tuned an octave above standard tuning. It is possible to buy ready-made string sets for Nashville tuning but they may be hard to find. You can use a 12-string set ( just use the octave or thin strings) but that's kind of expensive. The best way for you may be to buy the strings individually from your local music store's single-string bin.
The gauges for a medium set would be .012, .016, .010, .014, .020, .030 high to low.
A light set would be .010, .014, .009, .012, .018, .027 high to low.
All strings are unwound except for the low E which is wound.

To tune them, use my 12 String Guitar Tuner (http://www.guitartips.addr.com/12_string_guitar_tuner.html) and tune the strings to the High E, High B, and Octave Higher strings. You can use an electronic tuner and tune it just like you would a regular strung guitar the only difference is that the last four strings will be an octave higher than a normal 6 string.

Nashville tuning. I have to try this is sounds like fun.

Speaking of alternate tunings, I like to play with Drop D (Low E dropped in octave with the D) or
tuning to an E chord or a G. Not especially for using a slide but for intertwining melodies into a chord structure.
anyone else?

Judas Iscariot
October 23rd, 2005, 11:46 AM
Speaking of alternate tunings, I like to play with Drop D (Low E dropped in octave with the D) or
tuning to an E chord or a G. Not especially for using a slide but for intertwining melodies into a chord structure.
anyone else?

I love just dropping the B and high E to A and D, respectively. Beautiful.

I've also been experimenting with tuning the A and D up to B and E, respectively, so that I have an open Em. It's a trip.

them69
October 23rd, 2005, 4:27 PM
Open E is pretty fun to play around with, it creates a pretty lush and expansive tone.

Drop D is fun, so is drop C, although with drop C, I use a capo - it's a little flabby without one.

cbac
November 10th, 2005, 1:32 AM
Tangent bump.

and now for something entirely different :p

Where have you got the most astounding acoustics with an acoustic?

I've played in starewells and the echo near reverb effect is just wonderful. I experimented with a 10 floor concrete and tile stairwell. It has a basic up down \/\ deal. Minimal up cooridor.
The up effect is minimal below 4 floors. The sound doesn't have far to go in the down level and gets soft going up. You get to 5 and it is a balance. 7 was the best. Bottom and light top echo.

Bathroom.
Iron tub and tile wall is essential. Nice warm personal echo.

Warehouse.
You have to move around to find the right spot but YES! lovely.

ETC

I've played in a natural cavern at a state park, in a VW van sans headliner, a closet, an empty church (Lovely!), my university's concert hall (breathtaking), on a sand dune, in a desert, a mountain, and yet I have not had the chance to play in a mine shaft. My wife has relatives with a mine in Utah. The next time we travel there it will happen.:cool:

So discuss or whatever.;)

Jimmy Zero
November 12th, 2005, 10:56 PM
I used to live in a house that had this random ass four car garage. No one living in this house would have had four cars. But anyways, a drummer buddy and I used to play out there and have the cops called on us all the time.

It sucked because the acoustics in that garage were great. It was just a guitar and drums, but it sounded like fucking Led Zeppelin.

cbac
November 14th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Garages are great.
Take an acoustic to a concrete parking garage and wail away for a bit. Booming echoes.

oh yea, watch out for the cars. :eek:

eugenespeed
November 14th, 2005, 7:02 PM
A completely tiled bathroom rocks for an acoustic.

I've only had that chance once, but :headbang: