PDA

View Full Version : Metal Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Crabby
October 15th, 2002, 4:08 AM
Again, not much happening around here, and I know there's some other metalheads around here (Outlaw, SBD,GO,WizoOzz, others), so I thought I'd create a metal discussion thread. Just discuss metal,whatever about it you like. Thrash, speed, classic, heavy, funk, industrial, black, death, progressive, whatever.

SpiritualBlackDimensions
October 15th, 2002, 11:30 AM
I'm thinking about saving up, and in one foul sweep purchasing

gorelord-zombie suicide part 666
necrophagia- Divine art of torture
and
opeth-black water park.

SideburnZ
October 15th, 2002, 11:40 AM
I need to get all the Danzig albums(except 4 anf 5). And I MUST get some In Flames albums.

:yes:

Kris
October 15th, 2002, 1:37 PM
I must get as much Burzum, Berzerker and Immortal as I can...all for Kris....

Sweet Stan
October 15th, 2002, 7:30 PM
I`ll reccomend And you will know us by the trail of dead while i`m here :yes:

s-pac
October 15th, 2002, 8:26 PM
I was thinking about some Danzig, they were playing it before Jerry Cantrell came on at the gig I was at, any track suggestions............?

Crabby
October 15th, 2002, 8:53 PM
Outlaw, are you going to see Hatebreed when they come out here? Should be quality live.

Alex E
October 15th, 2002, 10:56 PM
-Danzig is :no:
-Immortal is alright, but kick Abbath and get Hansi Kurcsh. Hansi Kurcsh is :yes:
-I usually listen to more melodic metal, such as Blind Guardian or Nightwish, but the stuff I see other people suggest is fine as well, for the most part.

Also, I'm seeing Blind Guardian LIVE in december!!!!!!

-Kang-
October 16th, 2002, 2:42 AM
Have been listening to a lot of Samel lately. Their Ceremony of Opposites album has now become one of my all time faves.

Ringo
October 16th, 2002, 1:05 PM
Originally posted by SpiritualBlackDimensions

opeth-black water park.

Opeth? They are crap. Or is that Otep I'm thinking of ? One of the two are total shite. Oh, and did u check out that Orgazmatracks comp CD?

What In Flames album should I get next ? I have "Clayman".

Ringo
October 16th, 2002, 1:07 PM
Originally posted by -Kang-
Have been listening to a lot of Samel lately.

Samel ? Dont you mean Samael ? Or is it me who s wrong ? Or was it a type error? There is a Samael track on the Orgazmatracks 3 comp. Its pretty good.

WizoOzz
October 16th, 2002, 5:00 PM
Originally posted by The Ringmaster
Opeth? They are crap. Or is that Otep I'm thinking of ? One of the two are total shite.

Would you like to be slapped now or later? Both Opeth and Otep are fucking awesome. Otep for having an awesome female lead singer and Opeth for being the best thing in dark Scandanavian metal right now. Period end of story...

Originally posted by Megawozniak
Danzig is :no:

No, I think you meant that Danzig is :yes:

Sure Blackacidevil fucking sucked, and Devil's Child weren't much better...but I Luciferi fucking owns.

And How the Gods Kill is one of the greatest albums ever recorded, period, end of story.

SideburnZ
October 16th, 2002, 5:04 PM
I didnt think Blackacidevil was that bad. :$

Maybe because I havent heard all the others to fully compare it, but stil...

:$

WizoOzz
October 16th, 2002, 5:11 PM
Originally posted by SideburnZ
I didnt think Blackacidevil was that bad. :$

Maybe because I havent heard all the others to fully compare it, but stil...

:$

It's not that it's that bad...it's just not necessarily the greatest Danzig album, IMO. But then again, I'm not cool on all the electronic stuff.

4 is more in vein of the earlier albums...but Glenn definitely manages to change his style from one album to the next...the only albums of his that even remotely stay in the same sound is the self-titled one and Lucifuge...but the rest are good...5 is just blech to me is all. Even Cantrell couldn't do much for me on it...

Where's GO! when you need his useless butt? :D

Alex E
October 16th, 2002, 5:22 PM
I haven't listened to Otep for a while, but I share the same sentiments for them as for Danzig.

WizoOzz
October 16th, 2002, 5:39 PM
Originally posted by Megawozniak
I haven't listened to Otep for a while, but I share the same sentiments for them as for Danzig.

Blech...what do you expect from a Blind Guardian fan, I guess...

Anywho...Demons & Wizards kicks the hell out of anything Blind Guardian's ever put out...and yeah, I am aware that Hansi is in both...but Blind Guardian is just meh, while Demons & Wizards is actually cool.

None of them can hold a candle to Opeth though.

-Kang-
October 16th, 2002, 6:50 PM
Yeah I meant Samael. typo.

Nemesis
October 16th, 2002, 8:20 PM
Have been listening to a lot of Samel lately. Their Ceremony of Opposites album has now become one of my all time faves.

You should check out "Rain." I think it's on their Passage CD. My favorite Samael song ever, even though Ceremony of Opposites is better than Passage as a whole.

Originally posted by s-pac
I was thinking about some Danzig, they were playing it before Jerry Cantrell came on at the gig I was at, any track suggestions............?

-Twist of Cain
-Mother
-Devil's Plaything
-Her Black Wings
-Bodies
-Dirty Black Summer
-It's Coming Down
-Little Whip
-Going Down to Die
-Five Finger Crawl
-and I haven't heard all of 7 yet, but "Black Mass" kicks ass.

Anybody a fan of Children of Bodom? I have Follow the Reaper, but the songs from Something Wild left me blown away. I'm not sure if I should get this or another one of their CDs next.

As far as In Flames goes, I want to get their new CD, but I'm not sure if it's better or worse than Clayman. I heard their new "Cloud Connected" song and it sounds like crap. I might just buy Whoracle instead.

I just downloaded "AEP" by Red Harvest. It's like a techno death metal song or something. It's pretty good. :yes:

Alex E
October 16th, 2002, 8:25 PM
Originally posted by WizoOzz
Blech...what do you expect from a Blind Guardian fan, I guess...

Anywho...Demons & Wizards kicks the hell out of anything Blind Guardian's ever put out...and yeah, I am aware that Hansi is in both...but Blind Guardian is just meh, while Demons & Wizards is actually cool.

None of them can hold a candle to Opeth though.

Damn...I read your first sentence and was looking forward to laughing at you, but you knew Hansi was in both. Bastard. :(

But yeah, Fiddler on the Green is a really good song.

Crabby
October 17th, 2002, 8:41 AM
Originally posted by WizoOzz
Would you like to be slapped now or later? Both Opeth and Otep are fucking awesome. Otep for having an awesome female lead singer and Opeth for being the best thing in dark Scandanavian metal right now. Period end of story...

Opeth fucking own, man. I can't wait to hear the new album.

Anyone on these boards a Soilwork fan? "Natural Born Chaos" is a great album, plus their earlier stuff kicks some major arse. So, anyone else like this awesome band?

Sweet Stan
October 17th, 2002, 1:46 PM
I got the new Sabbath live album today (Past Lives - A re-issued version of the Live at Last album with extra tracks)

I have to say it`s worth getting just for the version of Symptom of the Universe on it.It`s played about twice the speed of the album version & i couldn`t play it loud enough.

The heaviest thing i`ve heard in years

WizoOzz
October 17th, 2002, 4:06 PM
Originally posted by Sweet Stan
I got the new Sabbath live album today (Past Lives - A re-issued version of the Live at Last album with extra tracks)

I have to say it`s worth getting just for the version of Symptom of the Universe on it.It`s played about twice the speed of the album version & i couldn`t play it loud enough.

The heaviest thing i`ve heard in years

Not to mention the version of "Megalomania" on it is awesome (well, apart from Ozzy's inability to hit the notes right...but still, the song is one of the best songs in their catalogue).

Oh, and on the Live at Last disc, definitely check out "Wicked World"...definitely the heaviest shit I've ever heard out of Sabbath.

Originally posted by Megakwozniak
Damn...I read your first sentence and was looking forward to laughing at you, but you knew Hansi was in both. Bastard.

Well, I wouldn't be the mod of this here forum if I didn't know who I was talking about ;)

Nemesis
October 17th, 2002, 8:04 PM
Originally posted by Crabby

Anyone on these boards a Soilwork fan? "Natural Born Chaos" is a great album, plus their earlier stuff kicks some major arse. So, anyone else like this awesome band?

*raises hand*

Natural Born Chaos is pretty good. I think I like A Predator's Portrait better, though. One of these days I'll have to buy Chainheart Machine, too. It seems like every Swedish band's best work is their earlier stuff, but I guess the same can be said for bands everywhere.

As far as Soilwork goes, it doesn't get any better than "Follow the Hollow" or "Shadowchild." :beer:

-Kang-
October 17th, 2002, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Nemesis
You should check out "Rain." I think it's on their Passage CD. My favorite Samael song ever, even though Ceremony of Opposites is better than Passage as a whole.

I've been meaning to pick up Passage but haven't got around to it.

Anyone listen to old school thrash? I've been getting back into it lately. Been listening to heaps of Exodus, Testament, Vio-lence, Sodom, Kreator etc.

Crabby
October 18th, 2002, 3:12 AM
*raises hand*

Natural Born Chaos is pretty good. I think I like A Predator's Portrait better, though. One of these days I'll have to buy Chainheart Machine, too. It seems like every Swedish band's best work is their earlier stuff, but I guess the same can be said for bands everywhere.

As far as Soilwork goes, it doesn't get any better than "Follow the Hollow" or "Shadowchild." :beer:

I like all their stuff I'd rate APP at about the same level as NBC, but then again it's all about personal opinion. CM is a ripping album as well, I recommend it.

Does anyone here like Will Haven as well? I saw them live a while back and they were fucking awesome, brutal to see.

Crabby
October 18th, 2002, 6:56 AM
I've been meaning to pick up Passage but haven't got around to it.

Anyone listen to old school thrash? I've been getting back into it lately. Been listening to heaps of Exodus, Testament, Vio-lence, Sodom, Kreator etc.

Exodus are pretty cool, and what I've heard of Testament was okay. Voivod fucking owns, they're well worth checking out.

I'm not a huge fan of Vio-lence, I think that Robb Flynn's vocals in particular sound far better on the first two Machine Head albums.

Nemesis
October 18th, 2002, 7:59 PM
I've been listening to a great deal of thrash lately. Testament's First Strike Still Deadly CD is pretty badass, putting a new sound to their old stuff. Chuck Billy's voice is so damn versatile that it sounds like about 3 different singers are on that CD. I've been listening to a lot of The Haunted, too. Excellent band. I wouldn't say they're as good as when they used to be At the Gates, but they're still up there. The Haunted Made Me Do It reminds me a lot of Slayer.

Which Exodus songs should I listen to? I've heard Toxic Waltz, Thorn In My Side, and Fabulous Disaster, all of which I like a lot. Which songs are generally considered their best?

Bay Area Thrash Metal=:yes:

Crabby
October 18th, 2002, 9:13 PM
I've been listening to a great deal of thrash lately. Testament's First Strike Still Deadly CD is pretty badass, putting a new sound to their old stuff. Chuck Billy's voice is so damn versatile that it sounds like about 3 different singers are on that CD. I've been listening to a lot of The Haunted, too. Excellent band. I wouldn't say they're as good as when they used to be At the Gates, but they're still up there. The Haunted Made Me Do It reminds me a lot of Slayer.

Which Exodus songs should I listen to? I've heard Toxic Waltz, Thorn In My Side, and Fabulous Disaster, all of which I like a lot. Which songs are generally considered their best?

Hmmmm, pretty much anything from "Bonded By Blood" is pretty cool, though I've only heard two full albums of theirs.

Machine Head's first two albums are fucking ripping, though it's nothing new to say that. Anyone other MH fans around here? "Burn My Eyes" is a bonafide classic.

Sweet Stan
October 18th, 2002, 9:24 PM
Voivod fucking owns, they're well worth checking out.

Their cover of Pink Floyd`s Astronomy Domine rules

Crabby
October 18th, 2002, 9:30 PM
Their cover of Pink Floyd`s Astronomy Domine rules

Hmmmm, I haven't heard it. I'll have to check it out.

I know that you're a Slayer fan like myself, what do you think is their best album (besides Reign In Blood obviously)? I'd probably say Hell Awaits, it's almost the equal of RIB, IMO.

Sweet Stan
October 18th, 2002, 9:49 PM
Well i`ve not heard any of their 90s stuff as I kind of lost interest in metal around 92/93. Personally i`ve always liked Seasons in the Abyss the most after R.I.B. I do like the first 2 albums too they have this kind of naive charm to them.I`ve never really liked South of Heaven much.Aside from the Judas Priest cover i`ve always felt it was a bit samey.

Crabby
October 18th, 2002, 9:56 PM
Eh, their 90's stuff was nothing special, much of it pales in comparison to their first four or five albums.

I have liked Judas Priest for quite a while as well, but never bought any of their albums until the other day when I picked up the absolute classic metal album that is "British Steel" at half-price. Quality stuff indeed, I highly recommend it.

Crabby
October 18th, 2002, 10:02 PM
Damn stupid double post.

Sweet Stan
October 18th, 2002, 10:08 PM
As far as Judas Priest go i`d recommend Killing Machine/Hell Bent for Leather (The title changes from country to country)thats my personal favorite.

Screaming for Vengence & Sad Wings of Destiny & Unleashed in the East are essential too.

If you like them get the rest in this order... Stained Class , Point of Entry (Very misunderstood album ), Defenders of the faith , Painkiller, Sin After Sin , Turbo, Priest Live , Ram it Down.

And if your REALLY a fan get their first album Rocka Rolla

Don`t even bother with the Tim 'Ripper' Owens stuff

Crabby
October 18th, 2002, 10:15 PM
As far as Judas Priest go i`d recommend Killing Machine/Hell Bent for Leather (The title changes from country to country)thats my personal favorite.

Screaming for Vengence & Sad Wings of Destiny & Unleashed in the East are essential too.

If you like them get the rest in this order... Stained Class , Point of Entry (Very misunderstood album ), Defenders of the faith , Painkiller, Sin After Sin , Turbo, Priest Live , Ram it Down.

And if your REALLY a fan get their first album Rocka Rolla

Don`t even bother with the Tim 'Ripper' Owens stuff

I've liked them for a while, just never bought any of their albums until recently. I've heard SFV before, I liked it, and Priest Live, that was pretty cool, amongst others. You can't beat some clasic metal, people.

I can't say I've heard much of their stuff with Ripper Owens, although he was partially the inspiration for Rock Star, which wasn't a bad film. As far as British metal goes, I'm more into the mighty Iron Maiden, but JP are awesome as well.

Sweet Stan
October 18th, 2002, 10:22 PM
I`d get some UFO too.
I`ve always thought they`re the most underated British rock band of the 70s

Crabby
October 18th, 2002, 10:31 PM
Hmmmm, I might do that. Are you a fan of Helmet at all? I've always thought they were one of the more underrated hard rock bands of recent times. "Meantime" is a classic, IMO, and "Betty" is better than most people give it credit for.

Sweet Stan
October 18th, 2002, 10:38 PM
I do have Meantime & Betty & i had Strap It On on a tape somewhere & they`re ok. Although personally I always thought Girls vs Boys did that sort of thing a bit better.

Crabby
October 18th, 2002, 10:41 PM
Yep, "Strap It On" was pretty cool, but "Aftertaste" was a little too hook-heavy for me, it lacked the go-ahead power that made their first few albums so damn good.

Are you much of a thrash metal fan? Bands like Anthrax, Megadeth, Metallica, Exodus, early Machine Head, etc.

Aussie_Outlaw
October 19th, 2002, 2:06 AM
BTW,Outlaw, I picked up another Frankenbok CD last week, and it kicks major arse. I really should get myself to Metal For The Brain this year.

No MFTB this year. They couldnt get public liability insurance.

You really need to pay attention. They're trying to get it going for early next year. (april)

Yeah I havent really beem around much so I'll drop some words down here.

Recently I've been listening to a bit of Motley Crue, Inflame's Colony cd (that fuckin owns), and alot of other shit.

And yes Bay area thrash = http://megadeth.metalusa.com/megadeth/images/smilies/headbangdude.gif

Crabby
October 19th, 2002, 6:02 AM
Really? Damn, I missed most of 3 Hours Of Power the last couple of weeks, I had no idea. Couldn't get public liability insurance? Hmmmm, interesting to say the least, I guess.

Are you going to see Hatebreed on their upcoming tour? I think I'll have to get myself there.

And are you a fan of The Mark Of Cain at all? They fucking rock live as well, a really under-rated Australian band. What other Aussie acts do you like? I like bands like Frankenbok, Segression, Truth Corroded, Black Steel, Blood Duster and others. Aussie metal is better than a lot of people give it credit for, IMO.

Aussie_Outlaw
October 19th, 2002, 7:10 AM
I the next few months.

I shall be seeing.

November 13th - 'Destruction' and 'Dungeon'
December 8th - 'Soulfly' and 'Hatebreed'

So yes I guess I will be seeing Hatebreed. Not through choice.

Crabby
October 19th, 2002, 9:22 PM
You don't like Hatebreed? They're a pretty cool metalcore act. Their last two albums were pretty damn good.

Aussie_Outlaw
October 19th, 2002, 11:48 PM
The initial story was that Inflames and Ill Nino were going to tour with Soulfly.

And In Flames kick the shit out of Hatebreed.

So I guess I'm still kinda pissed off at what could have been.

Crabby
October 20th, 2002, 3:38 AM
I do like In Flames, but it will be cool to see Hatebreed. I'm not that disappointed Ill Nino won't be coming out this way.

Crabby
October 20th, 2002, 4:15 AM

I believe that it is pretty difficult to track down around here.

Are you much of an Iron Maiden fan, or do you have just a passing interest, so to speak?

Sweet Stan
October 20th, 2002, 4:21 AM
Judas Priest`s whole back catalogue got remastered at the end of last year/beginning of this year and isn`t too difficult to get hold of.

As for Iron Maiden i was a HUGE fan between 82-87 to the point of collecting every 12 " & every picture disc ect ect.

For their 10th anniversary in 86 the Rock Show on Radio 1 played their Soundhouse Tapes demo in full ..... 16 years later I still have the same tape i recorded it on.

Crabby
October 20th, 2002, 5:44 PM
Quite the Maiden fan then. I personally reckon that Paul D'Ianno was a decent singer, better than many give him credit for. Bruce Dickinson is the man, though.

All the discs they released during that time? That'd be quite a lot. How old are you anyway? I mean, Maiden have been around for a long, long time by now. No doubt you've seen them live a few times by now. Have you seen/heard the Rock In Rio CD/DVD? Pretty damn good,what a fucking massive crowd as well.

Sweet Stan
October 22nd, 2002, 3:32 AM
I`ve always thought Dianno was right for the time but i don`t think they would have been the band they were if he had stayed.But some of the stuff he did is still my favorite stuff.
At that time it wasn`t too difficult to collect everything.They only released 1 album & 2 singles a year then so your only looking at about £13 - £15 a year to buy everything.
I kind of lost interest in them around the 7th son era.Partly because i felt they`d lost their edge & partly through starting to like other bands.I bought the next few albums they made but didn`t like them as much as the earlier ones & when Bruce left I didn`t bother with them at all. I`ve never seen them live.To see bands live costs me about £300 a time in travel & accomodation to get from where I live.I`m curious about the rock in rio CD but not got round to buying it yet.

Oh yeah i`m 29

Crabby
October 23rd, 2002, 7:20 PM
They're more hard rock than metal, but is anyone else really, really eagerly anticipating the release of the Audioslave album? According to Tom Morello, the tracks on the album also vary a lot from the demo versions that were leaked on to the 'Net a while back (and even those were pretty damn good). I hear that the album's out in November, but is anyone else looking forward to it in a pretty major way?The band have also just shot video for their first single as well., and I'm hoping they follow it all up with a massive world tour also.

Did Robert Trujillo (Ozzy/Suicidal Tendencies) and Mike Bordin (Faith No More/ Ozzy) play live with Jerry? 'Cause I hear he recruited other musicians for most of his live shows.

Satan
October 25th, 2002, 12:24 AM
anybody here like Stone Sour or Murderdolls?

Crabby
October 25th, 2002, 5:09 AM
Nah, not into Slipknot either. But that's cool, it's all about personal opinion anyway. Stone Sour sound a bit too generic for me on many occassions really.

s-pac
October 25th, 2002, 5:19 AM
Can't say I'm keen on either band.

Joey Jordison:yes: Good drummer though.

s-pac
October 25th, 2002, 5:22 AM

Bonded By Blood, A Lesson In Violence.

Anything from the Bonded by Blood album.

Gaz
October 25th, 2002, 6:03 AM
I like Stone Sour's song. Corey Taylor has a good voice.

Crabby
October 25th, 2002, 6:13 AM
Can't say I'm keen on either band.

Joey Jordison:yes: Good drummer though.

Eh, IMo he's a decent speed drummer, but that's about it. I don't think a whole lot of Corey Taylor's voice either. But then again, that's just my opinion anyway.

BTW, Outlaw do you know who the support act is for Soulfly/Hatebreed?

Aussie_Outlaw
October 25th, 2002, 6:26 AM
I thought this was a metal discussion thread :p

Now onto more pressing matters, Symphony X's new cd comes out within a month, Anthrax's album is delayed until they fix their management issues, Nevermore are back in the studio halfway through writing their new album.

And of course... (you'd expect me to be building to something wouldnt you?)

(wrong)
Inflames released their new album Reroute to Remain a few months back, and I want it. :(

Plus someone tell me Pantera's 10's and Floods from Trendkill don't kick ass.

Crabby
October 25th, 2002, 6:28 AM
I've been waiting for the new Anthrax album for ages, hopefully it'll be as good if not better than Volume 8.

From what I hear, the new Opeth album is damn good as well should be well worth checking out.

Pantera just kick arse in general. And they are fucking awesome live, I really must say.

BTW, Outlaw, what did you think of Andrew Haug's guest hosting of Rage a while back? I found it again on tape the other day, best episode ever, though I could've done without the hair and glam metal bands, thankfully their wasn't too many of them.

Ringo
October 25th, 2002, 7:03 AM
Ok, I got some questions and other stuff.

1. Which In Flames album should I buy next ? I have clayman, but I'm not sure which one to get next.

2. Which Pantera Album does everybody recommend ?

3. I have Back in Black and Let there be Rock, which AC/DC album next ?

4. Has anyone heard of "Old Mans Child" ? They're ace.

5. You were talking about Stone Sour etc. , I like Stone Sour and Murderdolls, but Im not as much a fan of Slipknot. Stone Sour's "Bother" and "Orchids" are both ace.

6. What are SpineShank like ? I still have not heard any of their material.

7. Same with Amen, What are they like ?

8. Are there any "Best Of's" of bands like Emperor , At The Gates, Mayhem etc. ? you know the Black Metal Titans.

9. Metallica fans, Do any of you agree with me that the vocals are mostly shit but the music is the best metal music around. Its the opposite with FNM, Mike Patton's vocals make the band good, not the music as much.

Gaz
October 25th, 2002, 7:06 AM

They're class. I was just listening to them as I read your post, strangely.:scared:

Ringo
October 25th, 2002, 7:08 AM
Oh, and to Crabby, No, I have been really busy lately, have not really had a chance to track down "The Mark of Cain", Ive looked in CD WAREHOUSE, HMV, VIRGIN, V-SHOP, MVC, all the biggest CD shops here but have not been able to find any of their material.

Ringo
October 25th, 2002, 7:10 AM
Originally posted by the_immortal_hulk_hogan
They're class. I was just listening to them as I read your post, strangely.:scared:

They might be class but what are they like ? Someone said they were like Coal Chamber, is this true ?

Crabby
October 25th, 2002, 7:14 AM

1. Which In Flames album should I buy next ? I have clayman, but I'm not sure which one to get next.

5. You were talking about Stone Sour etc. , I like Stone Sour and Murderdolls, but Im not as much a fan of Slipknot. Stone Sour's "Bother" and "Orchids" are both ace.

7. Same with Amen, What are they like ?

8. Are there any "Best Of's" of bands like Emperor , At The Gates, Mayhem etc. ? you know the Black Metal Titans.

9. Metallica fans, Do any of you agree with me that the vocals are mostly shit but the music is the best metal music around. Its the opposite with FNM, Mike Patton's vocals make the band good, not the music as much.

1. Hmmmm, they're pretty cool, but I reckon Outlaw would be the one to ask. I hear the new album kicks arse.

2." Vulgar Display Of Power" is their best by far. "Far Beyond Driven" is the one to get if you like VDOP. TGST is good, not their best, though it's more extreme metal influenced. RTS is also good, nothing exceptional, though. "Cowboys From Hell" is a little patchy but the title track is a killer.

3. Hmmmm, there's a bunch of quality ones, I'd go with "Highway To Hell" next (it's Bon at his very best, IMO), though "Powerage", "If You Want Blood.... " (live album) and "The Razor's Edge" are worth getting if you really get into them. Albums like "High Voltage" and "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" are good, if a little patchy,and most of the others are good or great."Live" is also a good listen, as is "For Those About To Rock (We Salute You)". AC/DC just kick a whole lot of arse in general, and they are mind-blowingly good live as well.

4. Nah, can't say I have. What do they sound like and whereabouts are they from anyway?

5. Nah, I'm not a fan of either band, or Slipknot for that matter. Their music just grates on me in a major way.

6. Nu metal, with a large industrial and slight hardcore influence.

7. Hardcore/Punk/Hard Rock act, pretty good. Saw them live a while back, they rocked pretty damn hard.

8. Not much of a black metal fan, your best bet would be to go ask Game Over! or Spiritual Black Dimensions.

9. Eh, I like FNM's music a lot, sure Patton is great, but the four musicians really gelled well together. Jim Martin was a top, pretty versatile guitarist, they're use of keyboards was well-placed and really added to the song structures, and their punky rhythm section was right on the money.

Sweet Stan
October 25th, 2002, 7:20 AM

If You Want Blood..... No question about it.

Possibly the finest live album EVER

Crabby
October 25th, 2002, 7:21 AM
They might be class but what are they like ? Someone said they were like Coal Chamber, is this true ?

I don't see much of a connection between the two bands. Coal Chamber's last two albums were very, very poor. Spineshank are okay, they have some quality songs, but they don't quite connect properly with me really anyway.

If You Want Blood..... No question about it.

Possibly the finest live album EVER

I'd have to agree with that, that album is really air-guitar-inducing. The near 15-minute version of "Jailbreak" on the "Live" album is also really awesome.

Strangely enough, though, there are no tracks from "Powerage" on the album, which was the record they were touring for at the time.

Ringo
October 25th, 2002, 7:26 AM

9. Eh, I like FNM's music a lot, sure Patton is great, but the four musicians really gelled well together. Jim Martin was a top, pretty versatile guitarist, they're use of keyboards was well done, and their punky rhythm section was right on the money.

Yeah, well what I meant was that "RV", for example has really bad music, but the "I hate you, Talking to Myself" chorus makes the song great...All due to Patton's vocals.

Crabby, Which FNM album do you think Patton is best on, I would say Angel Dust just over Album of the Year.

What band would you say are most similar to Amen ?

Crabby
October 25th, 2002, 7:37 AM
Yeah, well what I meant was that "RV", for example has really bad music, but the "I hate you, Talking to Myself" chorus makes the song great...All due to Patton's vocals.

Crabby, Which FNM album do you think Patton is best on, I would say Angel Dust just over Album of the Year.

What band would you say are most similar to Amen ?

Yep, the "RV" music isn't great, but it is appropriate, it does really add to the morbid yet interesting vibe of the track. But I do love that song, and I'm sure everyone can relate to it. We've all been that pathetic lowlife at small stages of our lives (maybe not to such an extent, though). The chorus really nails it, yep,that song is so catchy that it's almost wrong.

He's probably at his most versatile on "Angel Dust", though I like him best on "The Real Thing", he sounds a little more emotionally-charged and inspired (some people I know find his voice really grating compared to their other songs, though, but then again that's usually from non-FNM fans). Sometimes it depends on my mood. I like him on "King For A Day...." as well, his harsher, much more metal-influenced and idiosyncratic vocal style really suits most of the the tracks on that album, but he doesn't showcase his full talents nearly as much on the whole. I like his work on "Album Of The Year" as well, it's pretty eclectic, though not quite up there with TRT or AD, but then again, the songwriting isn't quite as good.

Hmmmm, I don't really know who to compare them to distinctly, actually. You might want to download tracks like "The Price Of Reality" or "Refuse Amen" in order to gain a better indication of whether or not you'd like Casey and co. So there you go, man.

Ringo
October 25th, 2002, 7:41 AM
Is anyone going to this "Monsters of Rock" concert, they have Thunder, Alice Cooper , The Quireboys (Ginger from Wildhearts old band, I think) ? Anyone else know who else is gonna be performing ? I'm not going I just want to see if ne1 else is going.

Crabby
October 25th, 2002, 7:44 AM
I know Sweet Stan would get there if he could, what with Alice Cooper playing there and all.

Ringo
October 25th, 2002, 7:47 AM
Yep, the "RV" music isn't great, but it is appropriate, it does really add to the morbid yet interesting vibe of the track. But I do love that song, and I'm sure everyone can relate to it. We've all been that pathetic lowlife at small stages of our lives (maybe not to such an extent, though). The chorus really nails it, yep,that song is so catchy that it's almost wrong.

He's probably at his most versatile on "Angel Dust", though I like him best on "The Real Thing", he sounds a little more emotionally-charged and inspired (some people I know find his voice really grating compared to their other songs, though, but then again that's usually from non-FNM fans). Sometimes it depends on my mood. I like him on "King For A Day...." as well, his harsher vocal style really suits the tracks on that album, but he doesn't showcase his full talents nearly as much on the whole. I like his work on "Album Of The Year" as well, it's pretty eclectic, though not quite up there with TRT or AD, but then again, the songwriting isn't quite as good.

Hmmmm, I don't really know who to compare them to distinctly, actually. You might want to download tracks like "The Price Of Reality" or "Refuse Amen" in order to gain a better indication of whether or not you'd like Casey and co. So there you go, man.

Ill take your advice about Amen. Your right, All albums he is different on. Heavier on KFAD, Versatile on Angel dust, etc. etc. Do u have "Introduce Yorself", it might not have Patton but is it good ?

Sweet Stan
October 25th, 2002, 7:51 AM
Yeah but it would mean having to sit through Thunder.:wtf:

And yes Ginger did used to be in the Quireboys.They threw him out for because he wanted their material heavier. He joined a New York band called the Throbs(Who were kind of Motley Crue meets the Strokes) for 4 weeks before forming the Wildhearts (Who have just reformed)

Crabby
October 25th, 2002, 7:55 AM
Ill take your advice about Amen. Your right, All albums he is different on. Heavier on KFAD, Versatile on Angel dust, etc. etc. Do u have "Introduce Yorself", it might not have Patton but is it good ?

Yep, I've got all Faith No More' albums. Hmmmm, "Introduce Yourself" is quite good, but nothing special, and nah, Mike Patton wasn't in the band then. Chuck Mosely is an average vocalist, though not very versatile really. I'd get "Introduce Yourself" over their first album "We Care A Lot", IY has the original (and better )version of "We Care A Lot" , probably the best song Mosely recorded with the band, I don't know if you've heard much of their earlier stuff, but you might want to try before you buy, so to speak. Their stuff with Mosely is different, they hadn't quite honed their sound yet, and I think really just needed a better vocalist to help bring out the very best in their material (and songwriting for that matter). Their first two albums are also relatively inexpensive to buy as well, and they both have some songs that are well worth a listen, but like I said, you might want to give them a listen first, not all FNM fans I know like them that much.

Crabby
October 25th, 2002, 7:56 AM
MC5 fucking rock hard. I'm gathering you're a fan, Sweet Stan?

Sweet Stan
October 25th, 2002, 8:21 AM
Damn right I am.:)

I remember when I first bought Kick out the Jams about 12 years ago. I remember listening to it in awe. I didn`t think they made music that heavy in 1968 & I have been a fan ever since.

As far as Chuck Moslely goes i`ve always thought he gets a bit of a raw deal by FNM fans.
Granted he wasn`t really a good singer but as a front man he was bloody good & a lot of their early success was down to his energy & charisma on stage. Quite a number of people wondered how they could carry on when he left the band but luckily for them they managed to find someone even better than he was.

I`ve always thought that the Moseley/Patton thing in FNM draws parallels with the Dianno/Dickinson thing in Iron Maiden. People are quick to dissmiss the earlier singers in both bands because of their limited singing ability without realising that a lot of the bands earlier success was down partly because of these 2 frontmen.

s-pac
October 25th, 2002, 8:29 AM
Which Pantera Album does everybody recommend ?

Vulgar Display Of Power.

Metallica fans, Do any of you agree with me that the vocals are mostly shit but the music is the best metal music around.

I like Hetfield, I don't think anyother vocals would suit MetallicA.

Nemesis
October 25th, 2002, 8:00 PM

Get The Jester Race. It's some of their best material. Lunar Strain, their first one, is pretty good too, and it's before they got their current vocalist.

Vulgar Display of Power. But you really can't go wrong with any of them, since they all sound different and are all good (well, at least Cowboys From Hell and beyond...)

Not yet, but I've heard good things.

I think of them as Orgy, except heavier and with a guy that yells. They're decent.

Sweet Stan
October 25th, 2002, 8:04 PM

I like Hetfield, I don't think anyother vocals would suit MetallicA.

They actually auditioned John Bush from Armoured Saint during the recording of Master of Puppets but Hetfeild decided to get singing lessons instead.Bush later joined Anthrax instead

Crabby
October 25th, 2002, 8:55 PM
Damn right I am.:)

I remember when I first bought Kick out the Jams about 12 years ago. I remember listening to it in awe. I didn`t think they made music that heavy in 1968 & I have been a fan ever since.

As far as Chuck Moslely goes i`ve always thought he gets a bit of a raw deal by FNM fans.
Granted he wasn`t really a good singer but as a front man he was bloody good & a lot of their early success was down to his energy & charisma on stage. Quite a number of people wondered how they could carry on when he left the band but luckily for them they managed to find someone even better than he was.

I`ve always thought that the Moseley/Patton thing in FNM draws parallels with the Dianno/Dickinson thing in Iron Maiden. People are quick to dissmiss the earlier singers in both bands because of their limited singing ability without realising that a lot of the bands earlier success was down partly because of these 2 frontmen.

Eh, I've always thought Chuck Mosely was okay, despite his limitations, he had a unique type of energy and enthusiasm that few could bring to a band like Faith No More. And I agree, the band built up a large fan base (particularly in Europe) while he was in the band, so his tenure in the band is often underestimated, like you said. Did you see them live during the Mosely era, or the Patton one for that matter?

Like I said before, I thought Paul DIanno was better than people gave him credit for at least.

Are you a fan of either Anthrax or Motorhead? MH's "Ace Of Spades" is a killer album (they have other quality stuff as well), and Anthrax's "Spreading The Disease" rocks very, very hard.

Aussie_Outlaw
October 26th, 2002, 1:23 AM
BTW, Outlaw, what did you think of Andrew Haug's guest hosting of Rage a while back? I found it again on tape the other day, best episode ever, though I could've done without the hair and glam metal bands, thankfully their wasn't too many of them.

Yeah I also have Andy Haug's rage on tape, and I have 'Airheads' taped immediately after it.

What's wrong with the glam metal bands? Motley Crue, Ratt etc. Seriously I see nothing wrong with it, if you take it seriously you wont like em, but they're just there for fun.

Now with Ringmaster's questions

1. I'm not the Inflames expert, I'm the Megadeth expert, so I'd have to agree with Nemesis with Jester Race, I have two tracks off it, but I own all of Colony which is damn fine. The guys at MaidenDowunder seem to think Whoracle is up there with Jester Race if not better.

2. The recommended Pantera album would be Vulgar, I don't know why but it seems to be just that special one, even though they're all good.

7. I don't listen to Amen so I'll ask my brother, he does and he gives the description Hard Punk Metal. He reccomends 'Ungrateful Dead' and 'Refuse Amen' from 'We've Come For Your Parents' and 'The Last Time' from their self-titled release.

9. With the music being the best around, well all Metallica did was basically use a fair bit of thrash with some progressive elements (I'm talking about back in the day), Maiden did the same thing with Heavy Metal, after a few album they threw in a fair bit of prog (as well as a concept album). As for Metallica's vocals, there are better vocalists around. Geoff Tat comes to mind

Crabby did you pull off that Anthrax song back on September 11? The 'tribute' track for the people lost in the 9/11 attacks? You should it's pretty indicative of what they new anthrax album is, the band says.

You can find the track off:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/refuse2bdenied/
thats where I pulled it off a few months ago, just sign your yahoo account in (everyone has one of those don't they?) and download it.

And how could I forget Opeth? I post on their forum for damn sake.

Anthrax's Persistance Of Time and Among The Living kick the shit out of their earlier release Spreading the Disease IMO, and I own all Anthrax albums.

Motorhead's Hammersmith live album which was released just after Ace of Spades is brilliant.

Top 5 Metal Albums in your collection?
1. Megadeth - Rust In Peace
2. Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
3. Symphony X - V: The New Mythology Suite
4. Nevermore - Dead Heart In A Dead World
5. Megadeth - So Far, So Good So What!

I guess others which missed out are, In Flames - Colony, Edguy - Mandrake, Dream Theater - Awake, Metallica - Kill 'Em All, Pantera - Great Southern Trendkill, Slayer - Seasons In The Abyss, Stuck Mojo - Declaration Of A Headhunter.

Ok So I guess that's a top 5 and another 7 In No Particular Order.

Just do a top whatever as you wish.

Kunt 4 Life
October 26th, 2002, 8:43 PM
Pantera's "Cowboys from Hell" does it for me. I remember seeing Pantera live at Ozzfest a few years back and absoiutly creamed my pants when they did Maiden's "Number of the Beast"

:D

s-pac
October 26th, 2002, 9:25 PM
They actually auditioned John Bush from Armoured Saint during the recording of Master of Puppets but Hetfeild decided to get singing lessons instead.Bush later joined Anthrax instead

Cool, never knew that.

I think they made a good choice sticking with James though.

Crabby
October 26th, 2002, 9:58 PM
Originally posted by Aussie_Outlaw
Yeah I also have Andy Haug's rage on tape, and I have 'Airheads' taped immediately after it.

What's wrong with the glam metal bands? Motley Crue, Ratt etc. Seriously I see nothing wrong with it, if you take it seriously you wont like em, but they're just there for fun.

Now with Ringmaster's questions

1. I'm not the Inflames expert, I'm the Megadeth expert, so I'd have to agree with Nemesis with Jester Race, I have two tracks off it, but I own all of Colony which is damn fine. The guys at MaidenDowunder seem to think Whoracle is up there with Jester Race if not better.

2. The recommended Pantera album would be Vulgar, I don't know why but it seems to be just that special one, even though they're all good.

7. I don't listen to Amen so I'll ask my brother, he does and he gives the description Hard Punk Metal. He reccomends 'Ungrateful Dead' and 'Refuse Amen' from 'We've Come For Your Parents' and 'The Last Time' from their self-titled release.

9. With the music being the best around, well all Metallica did was basically use a fair bit of thrash with some progressive elements (I'm talking about back in the day), Maiden did the same thing with Heavy Metal, after a few album they threw in a fair bit of prog (as well as a concept album). As for Metallica's vocals, there are better vocalists around. Geoff Tat comes to mind

Crabby did you pull off that Anthrax song back on September 11? The 'tribute' track for the people lost in the 9/11 attacks? You should it's pretty indicative of what they new anthrax album is, the band says.

You can find the track off:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/refuse2bdenied/
thats where I pulled it off a few months ago, just sign your yahoo account in (everyone has one of those don't they?) and download it.

And how could I forget Opeth? I post on their forum for damn sake.

Anthrax's Persistance Of Time and Among The Living kick the shit out of their earlier release Spreading the Disease IMO, and I own all Anthrax albums.

Motorhead's Hammersmith live album which was released just after Ace of Spades is brilliant.

Top 5 Metal Albums in your collection?
1. Megadeth - Rust In Peace
2. Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
3. Symphony X - V: The New Mythology Suite
4. Nevermore - Dead Heart In A Dead World
5. Megadeth - So Far, So Good So What!

I guess others which missed out are, In Flames - Colony, Edguy - Mandrake, Dream Theater - Awake, Metallica - Kill 'Em All, Pantera - Great Southern Trendkill, Slayer - Seasons In The Abyss, Stuck Mojo - Declaration Of A Headhunter.

Ok So I guess that's a top 5 and another 7 In No Particular Order.

Ha, "Airheads" is a cool movie. Haug's hosting of Rage was great, though, it was good to see some Refused, Prong, Tool and the like. Hair/glam metal is good for a laugh but I guess it's a little difficult for me to take even remotely seriously as regular music to listen to, I don't enjoy most of it, but it's entertaining enough if you're in the right mood. Ever seen "This Is Spinal Tap" ? Spoofs the whole rock 'n' roll/hair/heavy metal image brilliantly, and has some very amusing quotes. Anyone else a fan of this film? "I mean, they can't dust for vomit, can they?", "No, our popularity hasn't diminished, our audience has just become more selective".

I think "Vulgar Display Of Power" is considered the best 'cause it is the most consistent, with the most killer tracks, though I agree, they all kick major arse.

Cool, I hadn't heard that Anthrax track, I'll check it out, cheers for the link anyway. If it's anywhere near as good as "Volume 8...." it'll be a quality album. I own "Among The Living" a lot as well, I like it a lot. I also own the "Return Of The Killer A's" compilation, but I've been meaning to pick up "Persistance Of Time" and "Attack Of The Killer A's" for a while now.

I've seen Amen twice, they're pretty good, and Casey Chaos is pretty intense on stage. Their "We Have Come For Your Parents" album is pretty good, well worth checking out. I also recommend you give Refused's "The Shape Of Punk To Come" if you haven't already, they were a kick arse hardcore punk band. That album rocks very, very hard.

I quite like Opeth, I've heard a few songs from the new album, they were hard to find at first, but they sound awesome. They're a band who I've been meaning to buy more of their material, I like them a lot.

I don't have that live Motorhead album, but I have "Ace Of Spades" and the best of compilation, and they're pretty damn good. I also highly recommend Ozzy Osbourne's "Blizzard Of Ozz" and Black Sabbath albums such as "Paranoid", "Master Of Reality" and "Volume 4".

Hmmmm, top five albums in my collection? I'd have to say (not really in any order)-

1. Iron Maiden- The Number Of The Beast.
2. Slayer- Reign In Blood.
3. Megadeth- Peace Sells.... But Who's Buying?
4. The Mark Of Cain- "This Is This...." (it is fucking awesome, check it out if you don't own it already).
5. Judas Priest- British Steel.

Honourable mentions go to albums including- Machine Head- "Burn My Eyes", Iron Maiden- "Powerslave", Helmet- "Meantime", Anthrax- "Among The Living" and "Spreading The Disease", Dream Theater- "Metropolis Part 2 Scenes From A Memory", Black Sabbath's "Paranoid", Pantera's "VDOP" and "Far Beyond Driven" and Sepultura's "Arise", plus a bunch of others I could name that I really, really like.

I think Metallica's vocals are decent, they sound best on "Ride The Lightning", I must say.

Sweet Stan
October 27th, 2002, 6:03 AM

Are you a fan of either Anthrax or Motorhead? MH's "Ace Of Spades" is a killer album (they have other quality stuff as well), and Anthrax's "Spreading The Disease" rocks very, very hard.

I used to be a huge fan of both bands years ago.
Ace of Spades is ok but it`s not a patch on the Overkill album.People tend to single out the Ace of Spades album because it has that song on it but personally I think it`s a pretty patchy album.Overkill is just quality all the way through & that album has more songs on No Sleep Till Hammersmith than any other. Orgasmatron is also a bloody good album , easily the best Motorhead album in the 80s & Rock n Roll is also a vastly underated album.The best Motorhead compilation is probably No Remorse as it features all the best stuff from 1977-84 and songs like Killed by death which you can only get on that album.

i`m not a huge Anthrax fan now but i still love Spreading the Disease,Among the Living & Persistence of time. Attack of the killer B`s is pretty good too

Aussie_Outlaw
October 27th, 2002, 6:36 AM
Cool, never knew that.

I think they made a good choice sticking with James though.

They being James and Lars.

Crabby
October 27th, 2002, 8:21 PM
I used to be a huge fan of both bands years ago.
Ace of Spades is ok but it`s not a patch on the Overkill album.People tend to single out the Ace of Spades album because it has that song on it but personally I think it`s a pretty patchy album.Overkill is just quality all the way through & that album has more songs on No Sleep Till Hammersmith than any other. Orgasmatron is also a bloody good album , easily the best Motorhead album in the 80s & Rock n Roll is also a vastly underated album.The best Motorhead compilation is probably No Remorse as it features all the best stuff from 1977-84 and songs like Killed by death which you can only get on that album.

i`m not a huge Anthrax fan now but i still love Spreading the Disease,Among the Living & Persistence of time. Attack of the killer B`s is pretty good too

I have the "Ace Of Spades" album, but not "Overkill", I'll have to check it out. What I've heard of "Orgasmotron" was killer.

Yep, I'm a huge Anthrax fan, a number of their albums kick arse. Would I be right in assuming that you've seemingly outgrown most of the metal you used to listen to?

Sweet Stan
October 28th, 2002, 3:57 PM

Yep, I'm a huge Anthrax fan, a number of their albums kick arse. Would I be right in assuming that you've seemingly outgrown most of the metal you used to listen to? I wouldn`t say i`ve outgrown it.I`ve been listening to metal since i was about 8 years old (Nearly 21 years)It`s just my tastes have diversified over the years,what I like as a 12 year old isn`t the same as what I like as a 29 year old. Around 89/90 I started getting a little bored of it & with bands like Stone Roses, Mondays,Blur,Pulp & Suede coming along after a while I just lost touch.I still carried on listening to some metal bands (Ministry , Kyuss,Wildhearts,Therepy? & NIN to name a few)and there is still the odd metal band that grabs my attention from time to time (Trail of Dead,QOTSA & ATDI over the past couple of years.Plus I still play all my old stuff.I`ve never really JUST listened to metal.I grew up on Punk , Two Tone, New Wave & Synth pop too

Crabby
October 29th, 2002, 3:01 AM
Well, I started listening to mostly hip-hop at about age ten, but just grew out of it completely a couple of years later and rarely listen to much of the genre since. I know you listen to a diverse range of styles (hell, I do as well), I was just interested as you've said before that you've grown out of bands like Danzig and Type O Negative, I htought you might have distanced yourself fromall metal over the last ten years or so.

Didn't know you're a Nine Inch Nails fan, though, I really dig their stuff. and they're great live. When I saw them, during the instrumental break of "Closer", Trent went up to the back of the stage and beat the hell out of his synthesiser, he really seemed to be getting into it. Even at an outdoor festival they were a pretty intense band to watch.

Crabby
October 29th, 2002, 3:19 AM
I would just like to say that there should be a law against talentless, narrow-minded and quite frankly irritating "girl groups" such as Daphne and Celeste covering an undeniable classic like Alice Cooper's "School's Out". I normally ignore all pop music but when I heard about it I felt compelled to comment on this atrocity.

Nemesis
October 30th, 2002, 5:08 AM
Are there any "Best Of's" of bands like Emperor , At The Gates, Mayhem etc. ? you know the Black Metal Titans.

Heh, I was just on a metal website and it reminded me of this thread. Emperor is releasing Scattered Ashes - A Decade of Emperial Wrath soon.

Crabby
October 30th, 2002, 7:31 PM

I guess others which missed out are,--Stuck Mojo - Declaration Of A Headhunter.

I bought Stuck Mojo's "Violate This" compilation a few days ago, and it is pretty damn good, though some of the newer tracks aren't anything special (with the exception of "Ten Years", that is a pretty cool song). I also bought Anthrax's "Persistence of Time", which thus far I rate as a killer album.

I finally bought Nine Inch Nails' "And All That Could Have Been" the other day, I rate it highly, and would be a great way of getting into the band if you want to and don't know a great deal of their material. They are outstanding live, I recommend anyone go and catch them if they get the chance

Aussie_Outlaw
November 1st, 2002, 4:49 AM
Violate this is basically a cd of b-sides and demo's so actually you should get one of their albums or their live album HVY1. If you can actually find it.

Crabby
November 1st, 2002, 8:33 PM
Yep, cool, I think I'll do that. I actually bought "Violate This" in a second-hand CD store really cheaply the other day, and I'm liking it, even though it's just a rarities,etc collection like you said. Any album in particular you would recommend? I've liked these guys for a while, but I'm far from an expert on their work.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 2nd, 2002, 7:52 AM
Declaration of A Headhunter is probably the easiest to get into, with less rap than the earlier releases, while still remainding heavy. It' also quite commercial as it is more aimed at that market as the previous releases aren't.

Crabby
November 2nd, 2002, 3:43 PM
Cool, I'll have to check that out.

Are you into Black Sabbath or Sepultura (Max era) at all?

Alex E
November 2nd, 2002, 10:53 PM
I just figured I'd let you all know that I'm seeing Hammerfall, Blind Guardian and Symphony X within the next two months.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 3rd, 2002, 4:31 AM
Damn you, Symphony X and Blind Guardian :(

Plus if anyone doesn't know by now you can download

Dream Theater's bootlegs of The Number Of The Beast from http://sfam.free.fr/

(Select TOURBULENCES and then BOOTLEG OF THE MONTH.)

There you go, I guess it'd be pretty similiar to the Master Of Puppets bootleg if anyone besides myself owns that.

Mr_Zombie
November 3rd, 2002, 6:08 PM
I got 'Under A Funeral Moon' for £9 today.

Crabby
November 3rd, 2002, 8:05 PM
Damn you, Symphony X and Blind Guardian :(

Plus if anyone doesn't know by now you can download

Dream Theater's bootlegs of The Number Of The Beast from http://sfam.free.fr/

(Select TOURBULENCES and then BOOTLEG OF THE MONTH.)

There you go, I guess it'd be pretty similiar to the Master Of Puppets bootleg if anyone besides myself owns that.

Cool, what other stuff have they done before? I bought "Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence" yesterday, and it's killer. Not quite up there with MP2, but still damn good.

I downloaded a few of the tracks from "Declaraton Of A Headhunter" as well, I'm pretty impressed, I say.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 6th, 2002, 8:20 PM
They did the entire Master Of Puppets album back in Feburary this year.

And I own it :D

Plus they have 3 live albums, and about 6 studio albums.

Ah progressive metal.

Crabby
November 7th, 2002, 2:03 AM
Yep, some progressive metal/hard rock is always good for a listen.

Crabby
November 8th, 2002, 7:31 AM
Outlaw, seeing as you like progressive music, do you like Tool at all?

When is the new Opeth album out here? I've downloaded some of it and it is killer.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 8th, 2002, 7:44 AM
Not really, it's lacking in emotion and organicness, IMO it's too processed and not natural enough, the fact that the guitars sound more like Synthesized pieces of shit. Compared to nice emotional acoustic numbers put me off.

So No Tool are fuck ups. They suck, they're stale and cold.

Decent prog is Spock's Beard, Symph X, DT, Opeth, Queensryche and some Maiden.

The Opeth album is out in the US. As for over here I'm not sure.

Crabby
November 8th, 2002, 7:47 AM
Tool are pretty fucking incredible live, though. The Melvins were awesome when I caught them as well at a Tool show.

I'm considering going to Hatebreed's headline show as well as their gig with Soulfly, they should rip it up live.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 8th, 2002, 7:51 AM
Tool suck live, Slayer rock live.

Crabby
November 8th, 2002, 7:56 AM
Yep, Slayer were incredible and brutal last year, and Machine Head rocked majorly. Frankenbok were quite good as well.

Are you a fan of The Mark Of Cain at all?

Aussie_Outlaw
November 8th, 2002, 7:59 AM
I like what I've heard but I've never bothered to buy anything of theirs.

I should go and get 'This is This'.

Unless you want to burn it for me and I'll send you one of my many cd's, a trade of sorts, you know where to contact me.

Crabby
November 8th, 2002, 8:05 AM
"This Is This...." is a really great album, I highly recommend you pick it up. "Ill At Ease" is also pretty kick arse but not quite up there.

They are awesome live, though. They showed up Rollins Band when I saw them supporting Hank and co. (who were actually pretty good as well).

I read somewhere that an Aussie act got the Soulfly/Hatebreed support slot, can't remember the name but I had heard of them before. Should be a quality gig.

BTW, have you finished your exams yet?

Crabby
November 8th, 2002, 6:54 PM
Ringmaster, liked you review of Faith No More's "The Real Thing", you at least did a track-by-track breakdown unlike myself. I've always dug "Underwater Love" as well, it's a little hard to explain but it is a song that gets stuck in your head for days, the melodies are so catchy it should be illegal.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 9th, 2002, 6:19 AM
I finish on Tuesday, plus I probably won't get 'This is This' since my To get list currently is pretty long of bands I desperately want like Symphony X (Divine Wings Of Tragedy, Odessy) and Nevermore (Politics of Ectasy, Dreaming Neon Black.

So it's not high on my list.

Crabby
November 9th, 2002, 6:48 PM
Eh, I reckon it should be pretty high on your list, but nevertheless, they do kick some serious arse. Go see them live one day as well when you get the chance, though.

What other Aussie metal acts are you into- Segression, Blood Duster, Frankenbok, Psi.Kore (though they are no more), etc?

NiMMERS
November 9th, 2002, 7:42 PM
The 'bok fucking rok :)
In regards to heavy australian music I endorse Cog and The Butterfly Effect.

Crabby
November 9th, 2002, 8:03 PM
Cog are touring around the place ATM, and are playing the Big Day Out festival, I haven't seen them yet but I'm keen to, same with The Butterfly Effect, they are pretty damn good. I've seen Frankenbok twice, they rock hard live. They had a really hard tack opening for Slayer and Machine Head but were still quality despite most of the crowd's distinct lack of interest.

Celtic Frost and Type O Negative are two bands I've been listening to heaps lately.

Can't wait to see Jane's Addiction and Deftones at the Big Day Out festival, both should rock majorly.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 10th, 2002, 1:44 AM
Dungeon.

See if you can get their new release 'A Rise To Power' it's what Aussie metal should sound like.

Brings me back to the late 80's thrash (with some power of course :))

Crabby
November 10th, 2002, 1:46 AM
Mortal Sin, they were pretty kick arse back in their day.

And Pacifier. They rock now, but they used to be a great thrash-based band, they made some killer songs.

NiMMERS
November 10th, 2002, 1:51 AM
I've seen Cog quite a few times and they get better each time I see them. The first time they supported The Butterfly Effect and the vocalist lost his voice so they apologised at the start and played a kick arse instrumental set.

The Butterfly Effect are good. Except I think these days Clint looks like a skinny version of Jack Black with that hairstyle.

Crabby
November 10th, 2002, 1:59 AM
I keep meaning to track down the Butterfly Effect EP. I recently bought Frankenbok's "Loopholes And Great Excuses" and it rocks.

NiMMERS
November 10th, 2002, 2:01 AM
Yeah I reccomend it. They have a new single out now which rocks.

Yeah I love Frankenbok's cover of 'Dont call me baby'....anytime I'm in a position to do karaoke I will Frankenbokerise it :)

Aussie_Outlaw
November 10th, 2002, 2:04 AM
Modus Vivendi, a small WA based prog band, who are damn fine actually, kinda like DT, and ver talented.

Crabby
November 10th, 2002, 2:04 AM
Yep, I heard that cover the other day, cool stuff.

I know you're a fan of Alice In Chains and bands like that, but what other metal bands/sub-genres are you into anyway?

Modus Vivendi, a small WA based prog band, who are damn fine actually, kinda like DT, and ver talented.

You've mentioned them before, I'll look out for them, wonder if they'll play around here, if they do, I'll check em' out. Segression play a lot around here, being local boys and all.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 10th, 2002, 2:07 AM
From what I know he's into Devin Townsend, Faith No More kind of shit.

I know all

Aussie_Outlaw
November 10th, 2002, 2:09 AM
I like them, I mention bands I like alot, alot.

Like 'deth, Nevermore, SyX, Edguy I tend to mention them all quite a bit.

Crabby
November 10th, 2002, 2:12 AM
Ah, Devin Townsend. Like Strapping Young Lad a lot, his other projects are pretty cool as well, I must say.

What I've heard of Nevermore I quite like, and Faith No More are my favourite band of all time. Patton's side projects like Mr Bungle, Fantomas, Tomahawk and his work with the Dilinger Escape Plan are all pretty kick arse.

Mortification are another decent local metal act, seen them live a few times, they're quite good to see as well.

Queens Of The Stone Age's "Songs For The Deaf", now there's some quality stoner rock.Not quite Kyuss, but very,very rocking,indeed.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 10th, 2002, 2:13 AM
I never said I like them, I said he likes them.

See I know what he likes.

Crabby
November 10th, 2002, 2:17 AM
And why is that, Outlaw?

It seems Karnivool have scored the support slot for the Soulfly/Hatebreed gigs. Just thought you might like to know.

Seeing as you're a huge fan of Down, do you like Corrosion of Conformity, EyeHateGod and Crowbar?

If you like hardcore you should also check out Refused if you haven't heard them before.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 10th, 2002, 2:22 AM
Because I read his profile.

I have a mate who likes AIC, and for some reason he thought I may like them, I gave him a compliation of metal tracks and he gave me their self titled release and it sucked, bad.

However he liked the tracks I gave him, prolly since I picked out the commercialised ones, not the brutal or lengthy prog tracks.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 10th, 2002, 2:25 AM
I found Corrosion of Conformity before I found Down, top band, they deserve some mainstream success. I dont mind Crowbar, but really haven't listened to Eyehategod. And I've been meaning to get the Superjoint album.

As for Refused, well I've been meaning to steal The Shape Of Punk To Come from a mate, but I haven't seen him recently.

Crabby
November 10th, 2002, 2:25 AM
What I've heard of Liquid Tension Experiment I like a lot, what albums in particular would you recommend, though? (I have a long wishlist of albums I want to get a hold of).

You might like Alice In Chains' heavier stuff. The self-titled album is quite good but is a little by-the-numbers in places, especially when comparedto their other work.

Crabby
November 10th, 2002, 2:29 AM
Saw CoC with Pantera, they rocked very, very hard.

Great news that Queens Of The Stone Age are coming out here again. You should also track down some Kyuss if you aren't that familiar with them, "Welcome To Sky Valley' is some very cool stuff.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 10th, 2002, 2:31 AM
They only have two albums, Liquid Tension Experiment 1 & 2.

I have the first one, but I've never really bothered playing it, I guess I just own too many albums.

Plus I should have Nile's In The Catacombs of Nephren-Ka in a month or so. And the New In Flames by Next Week!

Aussie_Outlaw
November 10th, 2002, 2:35 AM
Talking about Stoner Rock, I'm also getting Fu Manchu's California Crossing from a mate. Plus I liked the Squash that Fly clip on Rage a few months back.

Yer CoC are damn fine.

Crabby
November 10th, 2002, 2:36 AM
I have that Nile album, it's pretty damn good, haven't listened to it in a fair while, though.

And apparently the new Opeth album is out here on November 11, just in case you wanted to know.

I own "California Crossing', it is quite good, I dig a lot of "stoner rock". Pity I misssed them on their tour here, though. I hear their shows were pretty damn rockin'.

I'm also yet to get my hands on Sepultura's live album, I really must do so sometime soon. Reputedly, Soulfly play 'Roots Bloody Roots" live these days which should be killer if they decide to include it in their set list whilst over here.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 10th, 2002, 2:39 AM
My brother does want to know.

I need to find you house and steal you albums.

My Winamp playlists currently sits like this (http://www.geocities.com/dave3939/playlist.htm).

Crabby
November 10th, 2002, 2:44 AM
Have you ever seen Blood Duster live? I've caught them a few times.

I also recommend you get your hands on Amen's "We Have Come For Your Parents".

Which albums in particular are you after of mine, so to speak? I have a pretty large collection, like you said, I probably have too many albums. It's great when choosing something to listen to, though. Shitloads to choose from, anyway.

NiMMERS
November 10th, 2002, 2:48 AM
I grew up on Guns n Roses. My sister was listening to Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, Nirvana and Soundgarden et al and that started the ball rolling. Sepultura were my favs for a number of years but they're on the backburner these days...still killer these days even without Max (heh I know I'm in the minority).

Devy is my music God. I got a penchant for some death metal and a bit of black metal. But these days I live on a heavy dosage AIC, FNM and Sabbath.

JB HiFi have been having the discount price blitz and I picked up all the FNM they had. I'm loving it. I wouldnt mind getting a hold of Patton's sideprojects as well.

I'm counting down the days until Devy releases SYL III and his other accoustic based project.

Does anyone like Spiritual Beggars?

Aussie_Outlaw
November 10th, 2002, 2:53 AM
No I've just seen SLayer/MH since I live a fair way out of the city it's hard to get into the city to see bands, but from what I've heard they just destroy everything (Blooduster that is).

My brother owns 'We've come for your parents'. Plus I just's talking you seem to have a fair bit of decent shit I don't own. I already trade cd's with another guy in Melbourne.

Crabby
November 10th, 2002, 2:55 AM
Fucking love Sepultura, they're stuff with Derrick Green is quite good, but not on par with most of their earlier work. Judged as an entirely seperate entity, they are pretty good, but when compared with "old school' Sep they aren't anything special, IMO.

Sabbath are one of my absolute favourites as well, they rock harder than most bands today.

I actually like a lot of "grunge",Soundgarden's first few albums, for example, are actaully quite heavy and their later albums have some killer riffing.

Fantomas in particualr are a bit of an acquired taste. As the old saying goes, try before you buy, that's my recommendation.

Outlaw, do you ever buy through Metalshop? I used to a lot when they're weren't a lot of local record stores with good metal selections. I still do sometimes, though there's some quality places around here to pick up heavy music.

How do you think you went overall in your exams anyway?

Aussie_Outlaw
November 10th, 2002, 3:03 AM
No I'll buy most of my cd's through JB, however in the city here, like in NSW they have Utopia, we have Metal Mayhem, which is Banana Alley, near Flinders Street Station which stocks all the power/prog metal I want.

And alot of unknown Aussie metal.

NiMMERS
November 10th, 2002, 3:06 AM
I only got into Sabbath recently. I think Iommi's guitar work is just as cool as it was then as it is today. His riffs still hold their own with the current crop.

I saw Sepultura on the Against tour and that fucking rocked hard as! My friend wasnt a huge fan of Derrick and it only took 1.5 hours with the Seps to convert him. I agree with ya though the Seps are on a totally different wavelength to what they were with Max but I still totally dig their stuff.

Can you reccomend a few Fantomas songs? A lot of magazines panned Fantomas releases cos it was too hard to swallow. It has to be at least half decent with Mike Patton, a Melvin and the mighty Dave Lombardo.

Crabby
November 10th, 2002, 3:08 AM
Utopia is pretty cool, I've bought some quality, hard-to-find stuff there, haven't been there in a while, but I've wanted to go back for ages now. Picked up a Segression album there for five bucks as well a while back, plus some old Shihad albums that are difficult to get a hold of. The 'Fier's old, thrashy material is pretty cool, and like I said before, well worth checking out.

I'm not a huge power metal fan, through I like a lot of Destroyer 666's stuff, particularly their thrashier output. Haven't got any of their albums, though. Truth Corroded are pretty cool as well.

Pod People are a band I've been listening to a fair bit lately, a bit on the weird side but fairly cool.

Originally posted by NiMMERS
I only got into Sabbath recently. I think Iommi's guitar work is just as cool as it was then as it is today. His riffs still hold their own with the current crop.

I saw Sepultura on the Against tour and that fucking rocked hard as! My friend wasnt a huge fan of Derrick and it only took 1.5 hours with the Seps to convert him. I agree with ya though the Seps are on a totally different wavelength to what they were with Max but I still totally dig their stuff.

Can you reccomend a few Fantomas songs? A lot of magazines panned Fantomas releases cos it was too hard to swallow. It has to be at least half decent with Mike Patton, a Melvin and the mighty Dave Lombardo.

Iommi is the man, though Randy Rhoads and Zakk Wylde aren't too far behind.

Fantomas' first album doesn't have any "songs", so to speak, it is just one large piece of music. It takes some time to get into but you might like it a lot. I don't have "The Director's Cut", but some of the themes like "Rosemary's Baby" are pretty out there but fairly cool all the same.

Crabby
November 10th, 2002, 3:39 AM
That's a pretty cool playlist there, Outlaw.

Forgot you were a Fozzy fan.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 10th, 2002, 5:07 AM
Fan, well i guess you could say that, I just like that kind of music, and treat the albums as greatest hits covers, well I guess that's all they are.

Seriously, if you like that era of metal they're not bad.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 10th, 2002, 9:17 PM
Inflames - Reroute To Remain
Soilwork - Natural Born Chaos

\m/\m/ top albums!

Crabby
November 11th, 2002, 2:34 AM
I have "Natural Born Chaos", it rocks in a major way, "The Chainheart Machine" is also pretty damn killer.

Chris Jericho is surprisingly quite a good singer, and they do justice to the songs that they cover.

Crabby
November 12th, 2002, 3:12 AM
Have you heard any of James LaBrie's Mullmuzzer project, Outlaw? I hear it's quite good.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 12th, 2002, 4:01 AM
No I don't.

I still think James is the weakest link in DT, it's always been a pity Kevin Moore left Dt for his Chromakey project.

Crabby
November 12th, 2002, 7:04 PM
Yep, his vocals do let the band down on occassions. I was reading my mate's copy of "Kerrang!" yesterday, Spock's Beard's new album was reveiwed in there, got 3 K's. Can't say I've listened that much of these guys but I hear good things nonetheless.

Looking forward to Soulfly/Hatebreed/Karnivool?

Good to see Giants Of Science getting some airplat on Three Hours Of Power as well.

If you aren't a fan of Meshuggah, you should check them out, they rock like bastards. Atari Teenage Riot are okay as well, I saw them once and they ripped it up live.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 12th, 2002, 9:06 PM
I own Destroy Erase Improve even if I haven't given it much of a spin.

I haven't heard the new Beard album yet, however I do own both Day for Night and Kindness to Strangers and they're both fine albums.

Crabby
November 12th, 2002, 11:56 PM
Which is the better Spock's Beard album to get then? I downloaded a heap of their stuff a while back and was impressed.

Have you heard any Karnivool? I can't say I have and was just interested as they're playing with Soulfly and Hatebreed in a few weeks time. I'm actually surprised that Segression didn't get the gig, seeing as they're all very friendly with Max Cavalera. Regardless, those shows will rock.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 13th, 2002, 12:22 AM
No I haven't hear any of Karnivool.

What spock's beard stuff did you download. Basically they have two different types of albums, songs which is really long and songs which are more shorter and catchy.

Kindness and Day4Night and shorter catchy albums
while V and some albums I forget are longer more indepth pieces.

I havent heard any of snow yet.

I'd say Kindness even if most of the beard fans think it's their worst album (they still like it).

I personally like it.

Crabby
November 13th, 2002, 12:40 AM
BTW,How long did it take you to stick all your CD's on to your computer?

The tracks I downloaded by Spock's Beard were-

Day For Night.
The Healing Colours Of Sound.
Gibberish.
June.
The Gypsy.
Beware Of Darkness.
Revelation.
All On A Sunday.

Ah, going to see Segression again on Saturday night. Should be a top show, the local boys never disappoint.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 13th, 2002, 1:01 AM
Most of those tracks are off Day for Night.

Except June which is off Kindness

Revelation and All On A Sunday are from V.

I'd say get Kindness to strangers.

NP: Aces High!

Crabby
November 13th, 2002, 1:09 AM
Cool, I think I'll check some of those albums out a little more when I eventually get around to it. So much metal, so little time. Ah well.

Have you heard the Sepultura live album yet? Haven't got a hold of it, but I hear very, very good things.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 13th, 2002, 1:14 AM
No I haven't heard under a pale sky.

Whatya think of the metal mags around the country, absolute shit.

I see Korn, Linkin Park, Murderdolls on the front and I just put them back down.

Stupid 'metal magazines'.

Alex E
November 13th, 2002, 1:19 AM
Replying to various posts- I agree, Fozzy does accomplish their goal of replicating some of that era. Irvine's voice can grate on me sometimes, but the music is actually good. Mesuggah is great too. Gotta love those non-4/4 times.

And just to remind everyone, I'm seeing Blind Guardian, Symphony X, and Hammerfall within 4 weeks!!!!

Aussie_Outlaw
November 13th, 2002, 1:25 AM
Originally posted by Megawozniak on November 3rd
I just figured I'd let you all know that I'm seeing Hammerfall, Blind Guardian and Symphony X within the next two months.

You just had to rub it in again.

Crabby
November 13th, 2002, 1:29 AM
What mag are Linkin Park on the cover of? Fuck me. I don't hate all "nu metal" (though 99.9% of it is pure shit), but they don't even deserve that tag,record company-produced, watered-down wankers that they are. I used to read Metal Hammer but they started including too much emo,punk and pop/rock in it and I lost interest. I like a lot of rock and even a little emo and punk but a mag called METAL HAMMER should stick to that genre. I buy a metal amg to read about metal,and while I like other musical genres, that's what I like to read about in a magazine like that., not 28 Days.

-Kang-
November 13th, 2002, 3:58 AM

I see Korn, Linkin Park, Murderdolls on the front and I just put them back down.

Did anyone read Hot Metal when it was around? It was a kick arse mag that had good coverage of all metal. I think I still have every issue at home.

I bought the Australian Kerrang and it is total shit. They haven't got a clue what they're on about.

Nemesis
November 13th, 2002, 4:14 AM

Reading one of them is like wading through crap to find a pearl. They have some pretty good stuff in them, just very rarely. The best one I've read is Revolver, and it sucks pretty bad.

I just visit online places like White Trash Devil, Uranium, or Mega Kung Fu if I want to read news or interviews. Metal mags are shit, especially when you compare them by size and price to something halfway entertaining, like Maxim (a case of comparing apples to oranges, but whatever).

Black Eagle
November 13th, 2002, 4:19 AM
Davey, you'd be proud of me.

I've been listening to some of your heavy shit as of late:

Sepultura
Fear Factory
Queensryche
Corrosion of Comformity

and of course Killswitch Engage. And i can say, that i have been quite impressed. While the singing doesn't appeal to me that much, the actual music is brilliant. I'm a fan of the heavier metal, and not the thrash style.

A bit of a change from Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 13th, 2002, 4:32 AM
Fear Factor and Sepultura are Thrash Metal Rhys.

As for Queensryche, Operation Mindcrime rules as ever.

I haven't heard any KillSwitch Engage however people I know rave about them.

Is it Melodic Death then?

Black Eagle
November 13th, 2002, 4:51 AM
The songs i've heard from Sepultura and Fear Factory, it hasn't been that thrashy.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 13th, 2002, 5:07 AM
Well Sepultura and FF are pure thrash metal.

Ask anyone in this thread who knows their thrash.

So obviously you don't exactly know what thrash is.

Black Eagle
November 13th, 2002, 5:11 AM
I'm thinking thrash is the fast paced, heavy shit.

NiMMERS
November 13th, 2002, 5:23 AM
Sepultura were a thrash band around the late 80's but started to make write more individual stuff in the early 90's.

Fear Factory thrash? They were death metal in the early days but slowly incorporated technology more into their material.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 13th, 2002, 5:35 AM
They're considered 90's thrash, along with Machinehead.

fast paced heavy shit? gee that narrows the field down.

Black Eagle
November 13th, 2002, 5:48 AM
Mate, you know me. Always keeping it general.

I dunno. I consider thrash to be that fast paced music. Can't really describe it as anything else. *shrug*

Aussie_Outlaw
November 13th, 2002, 6:08 AM
So Moby is thrash.

YEAH \m/ moby!

he does hold the guiness world record for fastest song!

NiMMERS
November 13th, 2002, 7:48 AM
Machine Head were thrash for 1 album :)
I consider 90's thrash stuff like The Haunted et al.

-Kang-
November 13th, 2002, 9:18 AM

I just visit online places like White Trash Devil, Uranium, or Mega Kung Fu if I want to read news or interviews. Metal mags are shit, especially when you compare them by size and price to something halfway entertaining, like Maxim (a case of comparing apples to oranges, but whatever).

Try blistering.com. Its a good site to keep up with news and has no bias towards any particular genre.

Crabby
November 13th, 2002, 7:31 PM
Fear Factor and Sepultura are Thrash Metal Rhys.

As for Queensryche, Operation Mindcrime rules as ever.

I haven't heard any KillSwitch Engage however people I know rave about them.

Is it Melodic Death then?

Except for FF first two albums which were more death metal with an industrial element in their sound as well, as Nimmers said.

Killswitch Engage have been called "the band to kill nu metal". I don't quite agree, but they have some cool songs. I wouldn't call them thrash but there is a thrash and Swedish metal scene influence there.

Pantera, Rhys. Get a hold of "Vulgar Display Of Power". For some "old school" thrash try someone like Exodus. Helloween are a cool speed metal band as well (I've got heaps of their stuff downloaded, very cool for the most part).

I've read "Revolver" magazine before, they do have some quality articles, but heaps of shit stories on bands like Disturbed, Murderdolls and the like.

Does anyone here like The (International) Noise Conspiracy? Not really a metal band but they rock like mothers.

Alex E
November 14th, 2002, 11:47 AM
Try blistering.com. Its a good site to keep up with news and has no bias towards any particular genre.

I go there sometimes, but it's not updated quickly enough. :(

Crabby
November 14th, 2002, 5:32 PM
Audioslave album out next week, man it should rock.

Rhys, which Machine Head songs have you been listening to?

Aussie_Outlaw
November 14th, 2002, 9:18 PM
1st listen Review

http://www.ironmaiden.com/ironmaiden/discography/ssoass/album_sm.jpg
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son

Well it's a Maiden album, I know all of you will groaaaan. I decided at 1:16am last night that I couldn't get to sleep and I'd listen to this album for the first time until it finished (2am). It's supposedly a concept album, but not like other concept albums, it's more of pieces of who the seventh son is and not what he does.

Well I've heard the older Maiden albums such as Maiden/Killers/Beast/Piece and I wasn't quite set for this one, it's very progressively driven in comparision to the first 4 (supposedly Somewhere In Time is also but I'll say a few words on that next week when I've heard the album.

1. Moonchild
2. Infinite Dreams
3. Can I Play With Madness
4. Evil That Men Do
5. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
6. Prophecy
7. Clairvoyant
8. Only the Good Die Young

The disc starts with a small poem about the Seventh Son of the Seventh Son, which it also closes with.

Moonchild and Infinite dreams for me seem to run into each other, both are damn fine tracks and for some reason they work perfectly among each other.

Can I play with Madness has a brilliant catchy chorus which you can't get out of your head.

The Evil That Men Do, well I'd already heard this track on a few live discs as it's a live set regular, so I already knew this track. Starts off slowly and picks up nicely, leading into the title track.

What a title track, a nice 10 minutes long, and brilliantly written, reminds me much of Suite Sister Mary from Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrime release, starts off as any other song, but somewhere in the middle it slows right down and sets a brilliant mood for the rest of the album.

Prophecy has a nice acoustic guitar exit leading into The Clairvoyant, which just finishes this song nicely.

Like the first two tracks Clairvoyant and Good Die Young work well together, I'd say they work better as a pair than alone, even though both songs can stand on their own. And again the song finishes with the poem of the seventh son legend.

A damn fine album first listen, easy to get into, as with all of the Maiden albums, it's quite easy to see what is coming around the bend, with the chorus and verse forumla for much of the album, except in some progressive pieces.

Very Nice
9/10.

Seeing I've only listened to the album once, I couldn't go that indepth on it, maybe later, or if someone else has heard the album well you opinion?

Crabby
November 14th, 2002, 9:47 PM
I reckon it's their third best album after "The Number Of The Beast" and "Powerslave". They rock like mothers, though. Hell yeah. I'll review an album or two when I get around to it.

Aussie Kerrang! has some good stories sometimes, but giving Andrew W.K.'s and Korn's (who they seem to be in love with) latest albums five K's is damn near unforgivable.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 14th, 2002, 10:03 PM
They did Nile a few weeks back.

And for one issue Down had the biggest review over silverchair, (also maiden's RIR got prominance over Diorama) which is nice.

Crabby
November 14th, 2002, 10:09 PM
Yep, that Down story was quality stuff.

They have good features on bands like Soilwork, Segression, The Butterfly Effect, Cog, Deftones and others, sometimes you just get a bit of crap along with it.

Any plans for some more reviews, Outlaw?

Aussie_Outlaw
November 14th, 2002, 10:26 PM
If I listen to another album for the first time.

I should do the soilwork album, since I haven't really listened to that yet. Or perhaps something else. I'm not sure.

Do you have any chat thingy's mate?

Crabby
November 14th, 2002, 10:30 PM
Yep, I have MSN. PM me for details if you want.

Do you like Deftones at all? One of the very few supposed "nu metal" bands that I like, although they've moved away from that sub-genre somewhat, though. Can't wait to see them at BDO, I've been waiting to see them for years.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 14th, 2002, 10:48 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00000JG4N.01._PE17_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg
Motley Crue - Dr. Feelgood

Now this is a brilliant Hair metal album, a thin, fun album, if you want decent musicmanship you've got the wrong album, but anyway I love it.

It's music you just play loud, and it's got an infectious vibe, Metal? Perhaps, damn fine, sure.

1. T. n T. (Terror 'n Tinseltown)
2. Dr. Feelgood
3. Slice Of Your Pie
4. Rattlesnake Shake
5. Kickstart My Heart
6. Without You
7. Same Ol' Situation (S.O.S.)
8. Sticky Sweet
9. She Goes Down
10. Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go Away)
11. Time For Change

Well the first track is an intro track, 42 seconds long, nothing much. Dr Feelgood automatically kicks in, brilliance.

It's no wonder this album sold over 5 million and had 9 singles pulled form it.

Slice of you pie, well another one you can tell it's written by Nikki Sixx, well the title of the song just says it. Doesn't it? lthough not as brilliant as Feelgood, still a great song, up there in the same field as the next track Rattlesnake Shake.

Kickstart my heart does indeed kickstart the album into brilliance territory, a killer track, followed by a ballad, Without You (not that ballads aren't bad), again followed by another killer track in Same Ol' Situation.

Sticky Sweet and She goes down, again Sixx specials, are shown in the titles of each track, both great songs. Followed by a better track.

Don't Go Away mad (Just Go Away), well this is the song I listened to walking into each exam, it's a refreshing song, a great track, clears the mind, jus listen to it, if this was on the video hit shows, well you'd have alot more fun than crap like Linkin park around. It's a fun track, like the entire album.

Time for Change is obviously a finishing track, it's a reflective track and you can feel the album winding down. Not bad, but doesn't hold up against it's predeccessor.

9/10

I couldn't be bothered finding a decent album cover, a fun album. I don't care if it's not metal, it's fun.

Crabby
November 15th, 2002, 12:44 AM
9 singles? Damn, the record company milked it for all it was worth, didn't they? Was Tommy Lee in the band then (methinks he was).

What other non- metal bands are you into, if any?

Aussie_Outlaw
November 15th, 2002, 12:48 AM
Yes he was, he left though to form Methods of Mayhem.

Yes 9 Singles, everything except the intro and the closing track.

And it is metal. Glam Metal.

I like a bit of Prog Rock as you know, but thats about it.

Crabby
November 15th, 2002, 12:51 AM
Can't say I thought much of Methods Of Mayhem (though Stephen Perkins from Jane's Addiction was the drummer).Tommy Lee also put a solo album out a few months ago.

I'm just surprised that a band would release that many singles from just one album. Hmmmm.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 15th, 2002, 6:44 AM
The Band?

Try Management, the band was on the road for 2 years, and they all went insane. Then Vince left since tensions were at an all time high.

They became so pissed off Nikki killed himself with a drug overdose, but luckily (???) they saved him.

The songs sold, so they kept putting out singles and selling out arenas.

Sweet Stan
November 15th, 2002, 5:09 PM
Did domeone mention HAIR ROCK????

in that case ......

SWEET STANS TOP 15 HAIR METAL ALBUMS

1. Motley Crue - Shout at the Devil (Punk Rock hair metal style)
2. Guns n Roses - Appetite for Destruction (Best of the lot but Motley Crue had bigger hair)
3. Bang Tango - Dancin on coals (The nearest thing america had to the Cult)
4. Skid Row - Skid Row (When I was 16 I wanted as many girls as Seb Bach)
5. Poison - Look what the cat dragged in (Actually quite a heavy album)
6. Hanoi Rocks - All those wasted years (Live album featuring their greatest hits)
7. Tigertailz - Bansai (Welsh glam rockers , this album has Megadeth & Metallica covers on it)
8. Dokken - Under Lock & Key (I liked this a lot at the time)
9. Van Halen - Fair Warning (My fave VH album ...has So this is love & One foot out the door on it)
10.Kiss - Creatures of the Night (Heavy as FUCK)
11.Ratt - Out Of The Cellar (Their finest moment)
12.Faster Pussycat - Faster Pussycat (Liked them more than GnR at the time)
13. LA Guns - Cocked & Loaded ( American band featuring Brit Phil Lewis who once smashed a computer & stormed out of a Kerrang interview)
14. The Throbs - Language of vagabonds & theives (Kind of a 1990 version of the strokes but with more hair.Featured Ginger of the wildhearts for 2 weeks
15.Def Leppard - High n Dry - Their best album , some of it sound like AC/DC

Crabby
November 15th, 2002, 9:24 PM
I heard my dad singing "Girls, Girls, Girls" the other day, which is kind of odd seeing as he never listens to anything like that. They can be pretty damn catchy, though.

Is "Cherry Pie" on "Look What The Cat Dragged In"? Damn I thought that song was cool when I was about seven years old.

"Creatures Of The Night" is quite a good album.

What no W.A.S.P? Nah, kiddinhg. Understandably so, they were one of the very worst of the hair metal bands. W.A.S.P. was rumoured to stand for We Are Sexual Perverts. That sounds about right.

BTW, very, very cool sig.

Sweet Stan
November 15th, 2002, 9:42 PM
Cherry Pie was Warrant not Poison & is on their godawful album of the same name.You can have mine PLEASE.

I forgot about WASP (as you do) I used to think Inside the Electric Circus was a pretty good album at the time.One of my mates still swears Blind In Texas is one of the best songs ever written.

I had to change the sig some bastard took the MC5 pic down so I thought i`d change it to one of my longtime heros.

Crabby
November 15th, 2002, 9:45 PM
Whoops, I knew that, I just remember thinking the video was very damn cool with all the pies and chicks. Ah, the days of being too young to understand double entendres.

Are you still into Kiss?

That MC5 pic was quality stuff. Too bad you can't use it anymore.

Ever thought of seeling some of the albums you have that you hate nowadays, or are they all in terrible condition now?

Sweet Stan
November 15th, 2002, 9:56 PM
I still listen to Kiss occasionally.Back then I used to prefer the poppier 80s stuff but now I only really listen to the 70s material (And Ace`s solo album)I`ve not got any of the re-union albums because I don`t want my illusions shattered

I have sold a few albums in the past but found that a couple of weeks later I wish i`d had them again & have not sold any since. I have a habit of liking something one day & hating it the next & then liking it again a few months later.Most of my dodgy metal past is on vinyl luckily so I only upgrade them to the CD versions on my favorites (If they`re cheap)For example last week I picked up a couple of 70`s Scorpions albums on CD when Uli Roth was still in the band for only a few quid each

Crabby
November 15th, 2002, 10:00 PM
Ah, The Scorpions, they rock. "Rock You Like A Hurricane" is one of my absolute favourite songs.

Judging form your sig pic, is "Ride On" your favourite AC/DC song?

Kiss played with the Melbourne symphony orchestra the other week. Somehow I can't see that mixing particularly well. So Ace's solo album is worth a listen, then?

Sweet Stan
November 15th, 2002, 10:20 PM
If I had to pick a favorite AC/DC song it would probably be Hell ain`t a bad place to be.I think it has possibly the dirtiest guitar sounds ever commited to vinyl

I have all 4 of the Kiss solo albums & they`re all totally different to each other

Ace`s is the best as it has a Stones/New york dolls feel to it & is raw & just rocks plus it has New York Groove on it , the irony being it was one of Kiss`s biggest hit singles & 3 of the band didn`t even play on it.

Paul sounds pretty much like the pop rock Kiss would do in the 80s but is still pretty good

Gene`s is dissapointing. It has loads of collaberations. Best track is the opener Radioactive (With Joe Perry on guitar) but the rest is just bland soft rock & a Disney cover !!(when you wish upon a star)

Peter`s is to be avoided at all costs as it`s all tepid disco rock & Beth style ballads

Crabby
November 15th, 2002, 10:27 PM
"Jailbreak", it rocks like a mother. The near-15 minute version on the "Live" album is incredible. "Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be" rocks as well, though.

"Spotlightsss.... rifles....firing....he made it out.......... wwwwitttth a bullettt inhis baacckkkkk!!!!".

I must say I've never really heard much of the Kiss solo work, that summary was very interesting.

Sweet Stan
November 15th, 2002, 10:37 PM
Speaking of solo albums i`d reccomend the 3 Joe Perry solo albums he did in the early 80s after he left Aerosmith too

They`re a bit like the Draw the Line era stuff but a bit rougher sounding

Crabby
November 15th, 2002, 11:46 PM
Didn't he call it The Joe Perry Project? He actually is a decent singer, quite surprisingly, though I haven't heard a whole lot of his solo material. I might have to check it out.

Have you ever seen Aerosmith live?

Sweet Stan
November 16th, 2002, 12:07 AM

Have you ever seen Aerosmith live? I WISH !!

Joe actually had a singer in his band , he was called Charlie something although he still sang about half the stuff himself.My biggest regret is i`ve STILL not managed to find his 3rd solo album anywhere

Aussie_Outlaw
November 16th, 2002, 12:08 AM
Why dont you download and burn it then?

And crabby, add me :(

Crabby
November 16th, 2002, 12:14 AM
Not everyone likes to take artists rightful income. Okay, I was only kidding there with that.

What about bands like AC/DC, SS? It's a pity, Aerosmith rarely venture outside of the US these days. Not that they really need to, apparently they're in the Top 10 of the highest-earning musicians in the world today. Do you like any of the stuff the band have done over the last 15 years? With the exception of some very over-syrupy ballads (thank you there, Mr Tyler) and a few patchy albums, they still produce some quality material. Not on par with their 70's output, but decent all the same. Not as memorable but still reasonably enjoyable.

Sweet Stan
November 16th, 2002, 12:37 AM
I`ve always thought a lot of bands have a kind of sell by date but occasionally you do get the odd gem. AC/DC`s last album I felt was possibly the best since For those about to rock,The last Bowie album wasn`t bad & Pump & Pemenant Vacation were ok.

There`s very few bands i`ll buy albums of out of loyalty.For example i`ve not really liked any Elvis Costello stuff since the late 70s but I heard a couple of songs off his new album & liked them so I went out & bought the album.

I still don`t own Ballbreaker coz I hated The Razors Edge so much but I heard Stiff Upper Lip on the radio & was really impressed so I went out to get it.

All I wish for now is this garage rock revival gives Alice Cooper a few clues HINT HINT !!

Crabby
November 16th, 2002, 12:45 AM
I liked a fair bit of "The Razor's Edge", actually, despite the fact that Brian Johnson's voice doesn't sound too flash. "Ballbreaker" was a good album, but I thought "Stiff Upper Lip" was very good, a bit of a return to their blues roots.

IMO, Permanent Vacation is pretty kick arse, better than Pump, though the latter seems to get a lot more attention. I bought Nine Lives ages ago, it has some decent songs even though I rarely listen to it anymore. I've been meaning to buy "Live Bootleg" for a while now. Isn't "Draw The Line" your favourite album of theirs? I like it a lot but I've always felt the two preceding album were better efforts. Just my opinion, though, really.

Sweet Stan
November 16th, 2002, 12:52 AM
I`ve always liked music thats kind of underproduced & raw & that pretty much sums up Draw the Line. Plus that album has my 2 favorite Aerosmith songs ... I wanna know why & Kings & Queens.
I say it`s my favorite album but it only beats Rocks & Toys in the Attic by the smallest of fractions.

You HAVE to get Live Bootleg it`s just an awesome album.I had it on at work on my personal stereo every day for 2 weeks 8 hours a day & STILL didn`t get bored of it

Crabby
November 16th, 2002, 1:01 AM
I've been meaning to pick it up, most of the Aerosmith catalogue is pretty cheap to pick up around here. Sounds good. When was it recorded? Toys In The Attic has always been my favourite, it just rocks like a mother the whole way through. Haven't you got virtually the entire Aerosmith back catalogue?

The weird thing I find around here with Aerosmith is that most people don't realise how long they've been around for, (most Australians only know them from their late 80's/90's output) and that they were once a really ground-breaking hard rock band. It's a little bit annoying when I say that I like 'old school" Aerosmith, and people reply, "Yep, I love Janie's Got A Gun", their old stuff was better".

Outlaw, my MSN is screwing up ATM, but I have added you to my list. Rock on.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 16th, 2002, 5:44 AM
The Album! THE BEST ALBUM! :headbang:

Megadeth - Rust In Peace

http://www.megadeth.com/releases/discography/images/albums/full/rip.jpg
Now this is metal, after a half metal release, yes thanx guys, I've decided to go back to THE ALBUM of the 90's

What an album, I can't believe that some people only like the first two tracks, hangar and Holy Wars, even though the album is worth the however much you pay for those 13 minutes alone.

Now a backstory, Dave Mustaine formed 'Deth back in 85, by 86 he already had a damn fine album out in Peace Sells, and a solid album in So Far, Soo Good, So What? (2nd best 'deth album IMO), Metallica had Puppets, Ride, Kill (1/2 of it was co-written by Dave) and Justice.

1. Holy Wars... The Punishment Due (6:36)
2. Hangar 18 (5:14)
3. Take No Prisoners (3:28)
4. Five Magics (5:42)
5. Poison Was The Cure (2:58)
6. Lucretia (3:58)
7. Tornado of Souls (5:22)
8. Dawn Patrol (1:50)
9. Rust In Peace... Polaris (5:36)
Total playing time: 40 m. 44 s.

Now Holy Wars, you could have an album just with this song repeated 8 times, you'd still have a brilliant album thats how much this song kicks, it's heavy, it's fast and it's always relevant.

The first Chorus of the album:
Brother will kill brother
Spilling blood across the land
Killing for religion
Something I don't understand

Still rings true in today's society, even much more after the 9/11 attacks and whatever acts you choose to give religious fanatics.

It's sets a precident for the album, one which is kept up for the entire album (bar the ok dawn patrol: more on that later)

Hangar, follows exactly where Holy Wars finished. It's got more of a punk, rawer feel to the song but still is really polished. The album cover takes off from this track, with the song being about the Roswell incident back in the 40's.

Take No Prisoners, the album just keeps going, if decent musicmanship lead directly to album sales and single's we'd have 3 singles from the first 3 tracks at least, the first two tracks had videos, Hangar is Brilliant and Holy Wars isn't much worse. As for this song would be the most nihilistic track on the album but it still has an upvibe feel, probably since you're put in the seat for the killing, as the track is not aimed torwards you, but your enemy, ah well I still love the damn thing.

Five Magics, is probably the hardest track to get into from the entire album, and that would be from the start, unlike the rest of the tracks upto this point, we go slow for about the first 120 seconds of a five minute track and then finally does the singing and guitars properly kick in. Poison was the cure is probably in the same boat, but they're still awesome tracks, Even though i'm saying they're harder to get into than say... hangar they're still brilliant.

Lucretia, opens the last half of the album, and gives a more pop feel about it, while remaining heavy any of these songs could have been worked torwards mainstream television. Easily.

The guitars are still there from the opening tracks as is the speed, but it's a slower pace, and I don't know how to describe it, but it's just really how pop metal should be, while remaining 'dark'. The possible reason for the back half of the album is that, David (no not Dave) Ellefson has co-credits on the following 3 tracks.

Tornado Of Souls, was always a live favourite for the 'deth boys, it's a damn good song, nothing else really needs to be said.

Dawn Patrol, I told you I'd get to this, it's not a bad track, compared to the other songs on the album it's bad, but play it by itself it's still decent, it's just that on an album of brilliance, a good song looks bad. It has a completely different vocal style than the rest of the album, with a down feel to it, but it works nicely as a lead in for the title track and final track Rust In Peace.

Rust In Peace... Polaris, is my favourite song ever, it opens with a drum solo, and then with a character voice, (not as an intro) but sung, he's evil, he's damn cool, and he's Polaris. Much how I'd imagine Vic Rattlehead (main character on cover) if he was in a song.

It's brilliant, the song stops halfway, and ou think the album is over, it comes back in, and it's still there.

With speed, riffs, damn fine solos, and enough decent stuff to put in your essay about human decadence during the 20th century it's a damn fine release.

10/10.:headbang:

There's not much more you can give to this album, if you're not a metalhead, you still need this, if you own the black album, and not this, and you think that is metal, sell it to get this, this is metal.

Dave (great name btw, wish i was as cool as mine, o wait :)) had put out an album awaiting Metallica's next release, something he knew was brilliant! Metallica then brought the self titled release and somehow that half album and demo's sells over 1 million a year, go figure.

Crabby
November 16th, 2002, 8:18 AM
Great review there Outlaw, any plans to review "Peace Sells.... But Who's Buying?" as well?

I'll review a few albums when I do eventually get around to it. How long did it take you to write that review? I guess since Megadeth are your favourite band probably not that long.

Sweet Stan
November 16th, 2002, 8:22 PM
Live bootleg was recorded in 1978 on the Draw the Line tour so it`s pretty much recorded at their peak. As well as stuff off the first 5 albums it also has Chip away the stone (possibly their best non album track) and a cover of the beatles Come Together before they recorded it for the Sgt Pepper soundtrack.
As well as that there are 2 covers they recorded for a radio show,Mother popcorn (A James Brown track) & I ain`t got you (an Elvis song)
Draw the Line is also on the album but for some reason has never been listed on the album credits

Unlike most live album this one was recorded at one show rather than songs being picked from several & has no studio overdubs added later & all the duff notes & mistakes have been left in (Hence the title of the album)which is probably why I love it so much

Crabby
November 16th, 2002, 9:08 PM
Okay, cool, definitely sounds good. I love their version of "Come Together" but have never been certain what release it was put on. I like the fact that it is a rawer live album, something which even in those days was somewhat uncommon. Some people say that AC/DC's "If You Want Blood...." had a decent degree of studio tampering. Ever listened to Megadeth's "Rude Awakening"? It's almost laughable how much it has been tinkered with.

Do you like the "Get A Grip", "Nine Lives" and "Just Push Play" albums at all? Not much, but they do have some decent songs amidst some pretty ordinary material.

Alex E
November 16th, 2002, 10:10 PM
Anyone live around Atlanta? My friend flew down there from Winnipeg yesterday just to see Progfest (I think that's what it's called). There was Gamma Ray, Blind Guardian, Devon Townsend, etc.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 16th, 2002, 11:01 PM
I own Rude Awakening on both DVD and CD, it's not that bad, but it's nothing brilliant. Doesn't stant close (if you wish to compare 2002 Live Metal albums) to Maiden's Rock In Rio, now that s a DVD the band can be proud.

As for the review, well it didn't take much time at all really, maybe 15 minutes, but I didn't really have to think much.

Yeah there is a progfest festival, somewhere down there.

Stan, with your extensive glam/hair metal knowledge :) I was wondering If you could perhaps write me a list of the top 30 hair metal tracks, or something. Since I know not much about the ins and outs of the 'genre' with only owning the Crue's Greatest hits and Feelgood, thanx if you could. If you can't just say so. I'll bother someone else.

Anc Crab, you not on my msn list :( mustn't have sent, gee msn is really fucking up. PM me your mail if you wish.

Sweet Stan
November 16th, 2002, 11:30 PM
Stan, with your extensive glam/hair metal knowledge :) I was wondering If you could perhaps write me a list of the top 30 hair metal tracks, or something. Since I know not much about the ins and outs of the 'genre' with only owning the Crue's Greatest hits and Feelgood, thanx if you could. If you can't just say so. I'll bother someone else.

I shall go through my collection & report back in a couple of days

;)

Aussie_Outlaw
November 16th, 2002, 11:47 PM
Thanx man.

Crabby
November 17th, 2002, 12:57 AM
Just PM'd you, Outlaw. My MSN is also screwing around,so I haven't been able to get on there.

Sweet Stan
November 17th, 2002, 1:37 AM
You know it`s funny , I`ve just spent the last hour digging out loads of old hair metal albums in preperation for this list & listening to them for the first time in over 10 years & the first thing that hit me is how heavy this stuff is.
When people talk about hair rock people tend only to remember the power ballads.The every rose has it`s thorns , the wanted dead of alives ,the winds of change type songs.
I find it funny that the likes of Blink 182 & sum 41 are considered punk when stuff like Motley crue`s first album & Skid Row`s first album had more punk attitude than all those bands put together.
All of the best glam/hair metal was influenced by the likes of T-rex, New york Dolls , Sex Pistols , Aerosmith,Alice Cooper, Kiss & Cheap Trick ect ect yet this seems to go unoticed sadly.I`d go as far as saying that Motley Crue had just as much a punk influnce as Nirvana did

Crabby
November 17th, 2002, 1:44 AM
I agree, Outlaw, the Rock In Rio DVD does indeed kick some serious arse. And how about the size of that crowd!!!!

I agree, I think most people just heard the power ballads and thought that was what the genre was all about. Not that I'm much of a fan of it but you seemed like you were a pretty huge fan of the genre at some point.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 17th, 2002, 1:47 AM
Yep Hair metal rocks more than the shit today.

I just watched Ratt's Round and Round, yummmm hair.

Sweet Stan
November 17th, 2002, 1:52 AM

you seemed like you were a pretty huge fan of the genre at some point.
Back then it was either cheesy pop , the Smiths or hair metal.

I`d outgrown pop & was a horny 15 year old who liked looking at sexy girls dancing in videos....did you think I was going to be a Smiths fan .....?

Crabby
November 17th, 2002, 1:52 AM
I was a little surprised when Andrew Haug dragged out some old Ratt videos for the Rage special, but it seems he likes all kinds of metal.

I look forward to your list as well, Stan.

"This Is Spinal Tap" satires the whole hair metal/sexism scene brilliantly. Anyone else a fan of this film?

Aussie_Outlaw
November 17th, 2002, 2:11 AM
Yeah I have it on video.

Them walking around backstage lost while trying to find the stage.

Or releasing an entire black album.

hmmmmmmmmm..... damn rip off merchants!

Aussie_Outlaw
November 17th, 2002, 2:12 AM
oh yeah.

Who did get this smilie added? :headbang:

I remember I was using it from the megaedth forums about 5 months ago, then I kinda left, and when I return it was added, who got Ed to add it? Or did Ed just add it himself?

Crabby
November 17th, 2002, 2:16 AM
Wouldn't have a clue, it is pretty cool, though. Rock on.

Or the "You can't dust for vomit" part, and their "Big Bottom" song, which is actually quite well written.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 17th, 2002, 2:22 AM
It's a good movie.

Hmm Airheads = betterness.

I used to play D & D too.
I used to be the editor of the school magazine.
I used to masturbate...... constantly.

Top movie.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 17th, 2002, 5:11 AM
Let's play a game.

It's called Pick that Metal Artist
The game has a bit of a trick to it.

http://services.windowsmedia.com/artistpic/P14680P9JW1.jpg

Go on!

Sweet Stan
November 17th, 2002, 5:12 PM
OK here`s part 1 of my list.Rather than do a top 30 which was a bit limiting (And time consuming)I thought i`d just go through my list of albums writing down the bands & the songs I like most by them so here you go ........
ACCEPT - Balls to the Wall , Fast as a shark

German metal band who almist rivelled the Scorpions in popularity at one time with a very simelar style.
Fronted by Udo Dicshneider (Spell?) who looked like a stocky drawf with a buzzcut who looked like he`d just walked out of the army

BANG TANGO - Dancin on coals, Soul to Soul , 20th Century boy

Looked like the Cult , Sounded like the Cult .Their cover of the T-Rex classic was far better than Placebo`s

BLACK CROWES - Loads of stuff

I`m still a huge fan of this band.They went through a rough patch on their 3rd- 5th albums but their last album Lions was a return to form

TOMMY BOLIN - Teaser , Wild Dogs

If you have the Crue compilation you`ll have heard Teaser but the original rocks in it`s own right by the ex Purple guitarist.Wild Dogs to this day is one of my favorite rock ballads

BONHAM - Wait for you

Band featuring Zeps drummers son Jason Bonham.Pretty lightweight album but this song rocks

BRITNY FOX - Girlschool,Long way to love,Son of a Bitch

Aerosmith/AC/DC influenced band that looked like bigger girls than Poison

CATS IN BOOTS - SHOTGUN SALLY

U.S./Japanese band who were never really big but had a cult following for a while

CELTIC FROST - Cherry Orchids

Despite being influencial in the thrash/death metal scene in 1988 they recorded their Cold Lake album which was basically a glam rock album & alienated their entire fan base.this song was pretty good though

CHEAP TRICK - Elo Kiddies,Surrender,I want you to want me , Dream Police

The forefathers of hair rock

CINDERELLA - Shake me , Night songs,Shelter me

One of my favorite bands,Their singer sounded basically like AC/DC`s Brian Johnston with Aerosmith style songs

THE CULT - Too many to list

One of my favorite bands, Saw them blow Guns n Roses offstage

D*A*D - Bad Crazyness , I won`t cut my hair

Danish band famous for having a bass player who wore a pudding bowl on his head while playing a bass with 2 strings.Very punkish sound to them

DANGEROUS TOYZ - Scared , Sportin a woody

Had a kind of Guns n Roses sound to them but had more upbeat songs

DEF LEPPARD - Hello America , Rocks off , Let it go , Me & My wine,Rock of ages

Forget all the preconceptions you have of this band their first 2 albums were heavy as fuck

DIRTY WHITE BOY - Bad reputation , Lets spend mommas money

Southern rock style band formed by longtime Bowie guitarist Earl Slick

DOKKEN - Tooth & Nail , Dream Warriors

Pretty good melodic rock band, Dream Warriors was used as the music to Nightmare on Elm Street pt.3

ENUFF Z NUFF - New thing , Fly high Michelle

Think Poison playing Beatlesy psychadelica

EXTREME - Decadent dance , Wind me up

Forget that More than words shit ..these rocked

FASTER PUSSYCAT - Don`t play that song,Babylon, Bathroom wall,Where there`s a whip theres a way

One of my favorites,back in the beginning of 87 the rock press was saying either this band or Guns n roses would be huge by the end of the year ... guess who won.Also their cover of Carly Simon`s You`re so vain is also well worth a listen

GIRL - Hollywood Tease , My Number ,Do you love me

Late 70s BRit band featuring Phil Collen (Went to Def Leppard)& Phil Lewis (Went to LA Guns)were hated in the UK at the time ,they were too pop for metal fans & too metal for pop fans but were very influencial.Do you love me is the same Kiss cover Nirvana did

GUNS N ROSES - Shadow of your love

Don`t really need to say anything here but this song was one of the first things they ever recorded & I still have it on a compilation album I bought in 1986

Crabby
November 17th, 2002, 8:28 PM
Outlaw, what's the trick with the game?

Airheads is quality. The part where they hold up the radio station with water pistols is hilarious.Wayne's World 1 &2 are better films of that type, though.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 17th, 2002, 8:41 PM
The trick is that it's not a metal band, so essentially I lied. :p

They're still top class movies.

Crabby
November 17th, 2002, 8:45 PM
Hmmmmm, who was it then? I had an idea but I think it was way off, seeing as it isn't actually a metal band.

Is your MSN working yet?

Aussie_Outlaw
November 17th, 2002, 9:25 PM
My MSN is on.

It's East 17! :headbang:

I figured it was an easy one.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 18th, 2002, 2:27 AM
Crab did you hear about Andy Haug?

3RRR basically claimed he had a conflict of interest doing The Hard Report on Triple R and 3 Hours Of Power on Triple J. Even though he's been doing them both for 2 years and the Hard Report for 10 years. So he's finished on 3RRR and is now only doing Triple J.

The triple R show is Melboune Only show but still it's terrible that this country's major Metal announcer has been kick off one of his shows.

Crabby
November 19th, 2002, 1:34 AM
Well,that's a shame. I mean, there aren't too many people who know remotely as much about metal as Andrew Haug. Living in NSW, I've never heard The Hard Report, but that sucks, indeed. Are they replacing him on the show then?

BTW, who was the band in the pic?

Aussie_Outlaw
November 19th, 2002, 1:44 AM
It was East 17. (I said before)

The show's continuing with his co announcer Tony as far as I know.

Crabby
November 19th, 2002, 1:49 AM
Wouldn't have picked you for a Britpop fan.

Listening to Anthrax- Among The Living ATM.

What's Haug's co-host like?

Aussie_Outlaw
November 19th, 2002, 1:58 AM
Well I guess he's an ok bloke, but in my opinion he was the sidekick to Haug's superhero. Haug talked and Tony basically added his two cents in all the time.

It'll be weird next Sunday.

Crabby
November 19th, 2002, 2:00 AM
Do you listen to the Kerrang! radio show at all? Is HR as good as THOP anyway?

Henry's Anger- now there's a band they should play more of on that show.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 19th, 2002, 2:12 AM
No Kerrang show doen here, thats sydney.

Crabby
November 19th, 2002, 2:25 AM
Eh, it's okay from what I've heard, but nothing special.

Cryogenic- another band who should get more airplay.

Sweet Stan
November 19th, 2002, 3:41 AM
Did you know that East 17`s last ever gig was at a school disco to 34 kids who couldn`t give a shit who they were.

The music industry is so cruel
:rofl:

Aussie_Outlaw
November 19th, 2002, 4:43 AM
Stan knows too much crap.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 20th, 2002, 12:27 AM
Am I the only one here when I'm playing Unreal Torny I get the feeling to listen to Gwar's America Must Be Destoryed, the game mirrors the band beautifully.

them69
November 20th, 2002, 12:54 AM
I like Down.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 20th, 2002, 1:20 AM
Do you like Corrosion of Conformity and Pantera also?

Crabby
November 20th, 2002, 2:11 AM
Does anyone like Labrat at all? I've downloaded some of their stuff and it's pretty cool.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 20th, 2002, 2:14 AM
What are they?

Crabby
November 20th, 2002, 2:19 AM
They're kind of a mix of styles, though mostly death metal with a fairly significant thrash and grind influence. Pretty good, quality heavy stuff.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 20th, 2002, 2:23 AM
OK may look at em later.

Crabby
November 20th, 2002, 2:33 AM
Time for an East 17 moment.....

"Everybody, everybody in the house of love!!!!".

I recommend you check out Labrat, pretty cool stuff.

Didn't hear much of THOP last night. Anything particularly significant happen?

Have you ever heard any Helmet? Quality hard rock/metal that is anyway.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 20th, 2002, 8:19 PM
No I don't listen to 3 hours of power, we have a prog/power metal show down here which I prefer as they are two of m favourite forms of metal.

Yes I've got some Helmet tracks on my computer which I downloaded about 18months ago.

Crabby
November 20th, 2002, 8:42 PM
Did you download "In The Meantime" or "Unsung? at all?

Eh, THOP is pretty cool, they play a diverse selection of heavy music, IMO. There's another local metal show around here, not bad,actually, though I haven't listened to it in a little while.

Are you into Black Steel? Pretty cool power metal band.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 20th, 2002, 8:51 PM
Yeah I have both those tracks.

Power metal is damn fine. From what Ive heard of Black Steel they're pretty good, and Pegazus are great also.

Crabby
November 20th, 2002, 8:53 PM
"Meantime" is a kick arse album,cheap as well, definitely worth getting your hands on, IMO.

BTW, my MSN is finally working.

Nemesis
November 21st, 2002, 4:09 AM
Am I the only one here when I'm playing Unreal Torny I get the feeling to listen to Gwar's America Must Be Destoryed, the game mirrors the band beautifully.

Whoa, I'll have to try that.

I've been playing the Doom games again, but I've been listening to the new Cannibal Corpse stuff at the same time. Perfect fit.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 21st, 2002, 5:18 AM
Original Doom theme = ripp off of Metallica's Master Of Puppets.

It's so true.

Nemesis
November 21st, 2002, 5:52 AM
:eek: Never realized that.

I noticed the Playstation Smackdowns have music that sounds a lot like White Zombie, Full Devil Jacket, etc., though.

Aussie_Outlaw
November 21st, 2002, 6:10 AM
But do you hear the resembalence now? Urrg spelling bad.

I had the music playing while I was playing doom a few years ago and somehow by chance same song was playing during the level.

Weird.