PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Football

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

MTR
July 18th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Okay time is drawing near for NCAA football.

Of course I am going to be following the Ole Miss Rebels led about junior QB Eli Manning. Eli will not be hyped as a Heisman candidate though. Archie Manning pulled the plug on that very quickly. Full story on sportsline for those interested.

So basically this is a thread for discussing NCAA football, BCS(or BS as I like to call it), favorite teams, conferences, etc.

Of course the SEC is the best conference followed closely by the Big Ten(who can't count) and the Big XII(who can count).

So discuss.

Steve_Corino_Rulz
July 18th, 2002, 12:33 PM
Screw the damn BCS! The Big XII is the best conference out there!

Anarchy Bunny
July 18th, 2002, 12:39 PM
ACC ALL THE WAY BABY.

Oh wait . . . we all kinda suck don't we?

No matter . . .

We'll OWN you in b-ball yo.

Anyway, I'll post some stuff about my *of course* favorite team, the Virginia Cavaliers.

We have a pretty crap schedule this year though, I guess that's because we had pretty crap season last year.

Anyway.

In greater news, University of Virginia had the 5th ranked recruitment squad in the country this year.

Al Groh is a beast.

Wedge
July 18th, 2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Anarchy Bunny
ACC ALL THE WAY BABY.

Oh wait . . . we all kinda suck don't we?

Hey, Maryland is an emerging football force from the ACC. We went to the Orange Bowl last year...and got decimated...but still. ;)

MTR
July 18th, 2002, 12:46 PM
ACC plays football? I thought they only played basketball. My bad. :)

Anyway honestly you can argue that SEC, Big Ten(still can't count), and Big XII are the best. You can easily argue in favor of any of the three on which one is best over all.

SEC gets screwed a lot though. Ole Miss did not go to a bowl game last year because we did not have enough slots. But at least this year if Alabama qualifies for a bowl they will not take up a spot. :) Anyway the SEC always seems to get a team left out which sucks when some conferences barely have teams qualify for bowls.

I say Eli leads Ole Miss to great season and bowl victory. The year after that we should get even great things.

Anarchy Bunny
July 18th, 2002, 1:02 PM
Originally posted by Wedge

Hey, Maryland is an emerging football force from the ACC. We went to the Orange Bowl last year...and got decimated...but still. ;)

I remember watching that game.

*ACC PRIDE*

Y'all got beaten ugly.

AbsolutMissy
July 18th, 2002, 1:42 PM
I :heart: Notre Dame. Go Irish!

Too bad they suck. :(

Java
July 18th, 2002, 1:51 PM
The defending SEC Champions look to repeat last year feat with a formidable team.

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hed
July 18th, 2002, 4:44 PM
Yea Alabama! Drown'em Tide,
Every Bama man's behind you, Hit your stride...
Go teach the Bulldogs to behave
Send the Yellow Jackets to a watery grave,
And if a man starts to weaken, That's a shame,
'Cause Bama's pluck and grit have Writ her name in Crimson Flame,
Fight on, Fight on, Fight on, men!
Remember the Rose Bowl we'll win then.
Go, roll to victory, Hit your stride!
You're Dixie's football pride, Crimson Tide!

MTR
July 18th, 2002, 5:50 PM
Hotty Toddy
Gosh Almighty!
Who the hell are we?
Flim Flam Bim Bam
Ole Miss By Damn!

Way better that stuff hed posted.

Quinn
July 18th, 2002, 6:52 PM
Anyone follow Division I-AA football?? :$

MTR
July 19th, 2002, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by isuquinndog
Anyone follow Division I-AA football?? :$

What's that? Just kidding. I don't follow it. I may follow a little of Div. III this year though since I work at Wash U. Gotten more into Div. III over the last year in some sports.

Quinn
July 19th, 2002, 10:37 AM
I didn't think anyone did, but that's what I follow most since my alma mater is in that division.....oh in Div I, all I hope is that Illinois loses. :evilgrin:

snakeray
July 19th, 2002, 4:59 PM
my prediction for this year....Miami becomes a sub .500 team.. HA HA HA.... Go 'Noles!!!!!!!!!!!

Reeks of Awesomeness
July 20th, 2002, 4:23 PM
Big East :$

Syracuse :$

Brockport in D3 :) ... at least one of my teams can be in a top 25 :\

maxx powerz
July 20th, 2002, 5:13 PM
Penn State is back! We picked it up in the second half of last season with sophmore phenomenon Zack Mills, and big things are ahead for Happy Valley. We probably aren't ready to contend for the Big Ten title qwuite yet, but we should at least get an 8-3 record and a decent bowl game. The game against Nebraska early in the season should be a big test for both teams.

And screw FSU. Bowden isn't going to give Joe Pa anytime to enjoy the damn record.

DAKPluto
August 3rd, 2002, 12:35 AM
I guess I'll start it since nobody else has.

And to start it off, The coachs released thier poll to start the year. I don't think there is too many suprises:

Thursday, August 1

ESPN/USA Today Coaches' Poll

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com

School '01 Rec. Pts. Final '01 Comment
1. Miami (Fla.) (34) 12-0 1,444 1 No repeat champ since '94-95.
2. Texas (9) 11-2 1,399 5 Can Simms lead the 'Horns to a Fiesta?
3. Oklahoma (11) 11-2 1,397 6 Defense isn't the question in Norman.
4. Florida State (7) 8-4 1,357 15 Bobby and the boys are back.
5. Tennessee 11-2 1,255 4 Ad-visor-y: Fullmer rules SEC roost
6. Colorado 10-3 1,010 9 Buffs could run to Big 12 title.
7. Florida 10-2 972 3 Ten starters back but not the head coach.
8. Nebraska 11-2 951 7 QB Jammal Lord replaces Eric Crouch.
9. Washington 8-4 914 19 WR Reggie Williams is a must-see.
10. Michigan 8-4 894 20 Best of the Big Ten in another down year.
11. Georgia 8-4 858 25 'Dawgs nipping at heels of UT and UF.
12. Ohio State 7-5 761 NR Eight home games a huge help.
13. LSU 10-3 749 8 Is QB Matt Mauck the answer?
14. Washington State 10-2 748 11 Never posted back-to-back 10-win seasons.
15. Oregon 11-1 663 2 Another billboard. Another banner year?
16. Virginia Tech 8-4 550 18 RB Lee Suggs needs to be healthy.
17. Louisville 11-2 378 16 QB Dave Ragone is one of nation's best.
18. Michigan State 7-5 371 NR Seven of first eight are at home.
19. Southern California 6-6 349 NR What passes for football in L.A.
20. Maryland 10-2 315 10 Are there seconds in Fridge Fever?
21. Marshall 11-2 280 21 QB Byron Leftwich is Heisman caliber.
22. South Carolina 9-3 213 13 Lou Holtz continues to amaze.
23. Wisconsin 5-7 210 NR WR Lee Evans should return for Big Ten.
24. Penn State 5-6 206 NR Eight home games = happier valley.
25. N.C. State 7-5 174 NR Philip Rivers may be ACC's best QB.
Others receiving votes: Texas A&M (158), Auburn (150), UCLA (114), Kansas State (110), Boston College (85), Brigham Young (84), Georgia Tech (70), Syracuse (66), Illinois (55), Oregon State (54), Clemson (46), Purdue (45), Utah (44), Fresno State (42), Mississippi (41), Arkansas (40), Colorado State (39), Southern Mississippi (23), Iowa State (22), Stanford (21), Notre Dame (18), Hawaii (14), Arizona (12), Iowa (11), Texas Tech (11), Boise State (7), Pittsburgh (7), North Carolina (4), Toledo (4), Virginia (3), Minnesota (2), West Virginia (2), Louisiana Tech (1), UNLV (1), Wake Forest (1).

I'll admit that I was suprised to see Maryland so low, after that wonderful season last year.

I think Miami (WOOO) gets bonus points this year for taking the hardest schedule of any team. The play Tennessee, Florida, and host Florida State. And they still have to contend with the Big East Conference. A conference that gets better each year.

I think this year has the potential to be great. Any thoughts?

Rocko
August 3rd, 2002, 7:02 AM
Go Hawaii!!

I hope we suprises a lot of people this year!! If our offense can do the same thing they did last year towards the end of the season, I believe we can break in to the top 25.

Go Bows!!

BoSox Rule
August 3rd, 2002, 9:20 AM
Go BC EAGLES.

The_shad
August 3rd, 2002, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by DAKPluto

6. Colorado 10-3 1,010 9 Buffs could run to Big 12 title.

Others receiving votes:Colorado State (39)

:yes:

Well, acutally, I'm suprised to see CU ranked so high after losing quite a few key guys (Offensive Line and QB) between seasons. Without them, it is going to be hard to be as good as last season, but we'll see how it goes. But, I'll take what I can get. CU is #6. WOOOOOOOOOOO!

The_shad (Cu was screwed last year. We shoulda been in the title game against Miami and whooped them silly. :D)

pulpintro
August 3rd, 2002, 10:14 PM
Kinda surprised to see the Gators ranked lower than the Noles. I wonder if it is mostly due to Spurrier being gone....?

GO GATORS!

DAKPluto
August 3rd, 2002, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by The_shad

The_shad (Cu was screwed last year. We shoulda been in the title game against Miami and whooped them silly. :D)

Actually, I think Oregon deserved it the most last year. They were ranked #2 in both polls, and were 11-1 (CU had lost 3 games). As a huge Miami fan, so we know more than anybody about getting screwed out of the National Game, I think Oregon had the most legitamte claim to be in the game.

In my Opinion, Nebraska should have been inelgible the moment they lost their conference.

I also feel that the BCS should be used ONLY when the polls disagree. If the Coachs had CU at 2, and the AP had Oregon at 2, then the BCS decides which should be 2nd (and only between the two teams at a tie)

Just my thoughts.

And Pulp, I think the fact that Spurrier is gone is the main reason. But I am very suprised that the Noles are that high. I know that Rix is staying, and he has his good recievers, but the defense is going to be VERY shakey for them.

The_shad
August 3rd, 2002, 11:58 PM

Actually, I think Oregon deserved it the most last year. They were ranked #2 in both polls, and were 11-1 (CU had lost 3 games). As a huge Miami fan, so we know more than anybody about getting screwed out of the National Game, I think Oregon had the most legitamte claim to be in the game.

In my Opinion, Nebraska should have been inelgible the moment they lost their conference.

I also feel that the BCS should be used ONLY when the polls disagree. If the Coachs had CU at 2, and the AP had Oregon at 2, then the BCS decides which should be 2nd (and only between the two teams at a tie)

Just my thoughts.

I'm just kidding. :D Yea, I know Oregon deserved to go more than Nebraska or Colorado, but the screwed that up so much that it's really fun to joke about Colorado going to the championships. But whats really funny is that if Ole Miss (or Miss. St.) would have lost to some other team (a noname), the Buffs would have gone to the championship. 100% screwed up. But I don't think anyone has a clue on how big this win was for us against Nebraska. It was bigger than the superbowl wins. We humiliated our rivals more than they had been humiliated ever before. And it was great. :cool:

But I think the BCS needs to be reworked. They put #4 into the championship. A team that broke down when it counted. No way in hell that should happen. A team that ranks out of the top 3 in the polls should be barred from the championship. I would have killed for CU to make it all the way. :cry:

The_shad (100% jacked up)

MTR
August 4th, 2002, 11:31 AM
I actually already started a thread. Lets see if I can merge them.

MTR
August 4th, 2002, 11:39 AM
There I merged them.

Quick correction. It was Southern Miss that won a game the boosted Nebraska to the game that they did not deserve to be in.

I hate the BCS system. They just need to do a playoff. Or use the BCS poll to choose the teams for a playoff. Sure there would be more arguing over who should have got in and stuff but I would rather argue about that then over who is the number two team to play the number one team.

Personally if a team does not win their conference or even play for the conference title and has two losses they should not be able to play in the championship game unless it is the finals of a playoff system.

Esacevets had a great thread about this last year that I may try to dig up later today or tomorrow.

ANT
August 6th, 2002, 3:56 PM
i think the Big 12 is ( or was last year) the best conference. I Live in the east, but I like Iowa State, and we have games against
Nebraska
Texas
Oklahoma
Colorado
and non-conference against Florida State, a pretty tough schedule

stima
August 8th, 2002, 4:22 AM
I'm a BC Eagles fan, but i do like other schools. :yes:

stima
August 9th, 2002, 2:00 PM
like i said, im a BC fan, but im gonna have to say I got Oklahoma winning the National Championship this year.

And Florida, for some reason i see them as a sleeper to do really good this year.

JoJo the rabid monkey
August 10th, 2002, 2:17 AM
Just simmed a season in NCAA Football 2003, so I could make predictions.

National title game: Miami vs. Marshall

:wtf:

Be back with more.

stonecoldfvr
August 15th, 2002, 1:51 AM
Originally posted by hed
Yea Alabama! Drown'em Tide,
Every Bama man's behind you, Hit your stride...
Go teach the Bulldogs to behave
Send the Yellow Jackets to a watery grave,
And if a man starts to weaken, That's a shame,
'Cause Bama's pluck and grit have Writ her name in Crimson Flame,
Fight on, Fight on, Fight on, men!
Remember the Rose Bowl we'll win then.
Go, roll to victory, Hit your stride!
You're Dixie's football pride, Crimson Tide!

Hed are you from Alabama? and all I have to say is:

War Eagle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

stonecoldfvr
August 15th, 2002, 1:55 AM
Originally posted by Rocko
Go Hawaii!!

I hope we suprises a lot of people this year!! If our offense can do the same thing they did last year towards the end of the season, I believe we can break in to the top 25.

Go Bows!!

I hear ya, KICK BAMA'S ASS THIS YEAR!!!

Can't you tell by now, I'm an Auburn Tiger fan through and through!!!!!!!

stonecoldfvr
August 15th, 2002, 1:57 AM
Originally posted by pulpintro
Kinda surprised to see the Gators ranked lower than the Noles. I wonder if it is mostly due to Spurrier being gone....?

GO GATORS!

Well you know, with a new coach the people think that the Gators will not be as good. I think that they will go 9-2, but I hope to god we have a repeat of last year and Auburn wins again. If not I will cry my eyes out!!!!

MTR
August 15th, 2002, 9:05 AM
Auburn? We have an Auburn fan? Damn and I thought hed was bad.

Anyway Auburn is okay but not great. Their saving grace the last few years is their coach. Tuberville is a great coach. I loved him as a coach at Ole Miss when I was there. I hate the man as a person. I do not feel like he is a great person. Don't get me started on him leaving because it will not be pretty.

stonecoldfvr
August 15th, 2002, 3:39 PM
That is the problem, Tommy Tuberville is not a great head coach. He is a great assistant coach. Like when he coached the Rock at Miami. He was part of that 1991 championship team. He was good then. But as head coach, he's okay, not great though. What pisses me off the most is that they fired Pat Dye, because of the whole freaking Eric Ramsey thing. I do believe sooner or later, we would have gotten a national championship from him. I mean when Auburn went 11-0 with Terry Bowden. That was Pat Dye's recruits. I just wish we could have a coach like Steve Spurrier. Yes, I love Auburn, and I'm so hyped that College football kicks off next Friday. I love football. My favorite sport ever! War Eagle and no offense but I hope Auburn destroys litttle Eli!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MTR
August 15th, 2002, 3:51 PM
Actually Tuberville is a great head coach in my view. He did wonders at Ole Miss while they were still on probabation and did good recruiting. He has done the same there. I think he kept Auburn from sinking very very badly. He has kept them going make Auburn a great program. I just hated the way he left us and went there. It sucked and no one can deny that. He was not a man about it at all. My favorite thing about Tuberville was he loves to go for it on 4th down. I love that. I hate just punting the ball. He gambled a lot and it paid off a lot.

The great thing that came out of Tuberville leaving though was the fact that we snagged a great coach from Tenn. in Cutcliffe and he managed to bring Eli to where he belongs. If Tuberville was still at Ole Miss we would not have Eli in my view. He would have gone to Tenn.

Eli is definitely a QB to watch this year. He is not the top QB in the country or even in the SEC but he will definitely be turning heads this fall.

stonecoldfvr
August 15th, 2002, 4:13 PM
Tuberville, is okay in my opinion. I do like that he's a gambler, but the way Auburn played last year, was retarded. I love my Tigers through and through, but the coaching staff was fucked up. We went to beating Florida, to losing to Alabama, and we all know, Auburn should have kicked they're asses. So maybe with the new coaching staff, that Tommy has gotten, maybe we will get a solid season this year. If not, and we lose to Alabama again. I say fire his ass. Auburn and Alabama, doesn't put up with that shit. If you can't beat your rival, sooner or later, your gone! I hope Auburn is National Champs this year, but hey, I hope that every year. I've been an Auburn fan, since I was 4 years old. I eat and breathe Auburn Tiger football. The thing about Eli is, I think he has the potential to be a great quarterback, but I don't think he will be as good, as Peyton was. Plus, I got sick and tired all of those years, listening about Peyton Manning and the Tennesseee Vols. God, now I have to put up with hearing Eli Manning. Enough already!
This is a song that my friend made up and here it goes:

Rocky Top you'll always be a piece of shit to me,
Go to hell Rocky Top.
Fuck you Tennessee!

I Love That!

I hated Peyton and the Vols, because they beat us in the SEC championship game! Bastards!

Teams I love:

War Eagle, Go Tigers!!!!!!!!
Vandy, just because we don't play them!
Miami, because I think they're awesome!!!!!

Teams I hate with a passion:

Alabama-I hate them the most
Notre Dame!!!-God they suck
Michigan-Just don't like em
Florida- Because they're too damn good
Nebraska-Because they get to much credit and they don't play anybody.
Tennessee-See above
Georgia-because they always play way too strong
Mississippi State-Jackie Sherrill needs to stay the fuck off our grass!
Oklahoma-don't play anybody and gets props for doing it.
Penn State-Joe needs to retire! Even though I think he's a good coach
Florida State-Bobby Bowden need I say more!
Even though he is a good coach too!

That about sums it up!

JoJo the rabid monkey
August 16th, 2002, 7:11 PM
Season opener comin' up.

Colorado State: 31
Vriginia: 14

The mighty EA sports has spoken...:squint:

Dumpy
August 17th, 2002, 4:29 PM
Oooo, seems to be some Nebraska bashers out there...

How can you possibly think Colorado deserved to go to the Rose Bowl ahead of Nebraska? Granted, they beat Nebraska in somewhat of a lopsided game, but you Colorado fans seem to forget that season-opening loss against Fresno State. FRESNO STATE! It doesn't matter that it happened early in the season, it still happened. And the BCS doesn't penalize teams more for losing late in the season, unlike the voters with their selective memories, which is one of the reasons why the BCS is a much better system than the one we had before.

MTR
August 17th, 2002, 5:54 PM
I have nothing against Nebraska but they had no right to play for the title last season. They did not even win their division in their conference. They did not even play for their conference title yet they got to play for the national title. That is plain wrong. They got blown out. An early loss is not as bad as a late loss. Plus Colorado avenged one of its two losses and won their conference should have been to their advantage. Don't forget Oregan State who was ranked up there higher than Nebraska as well. The BCS does not work in my eyes. I think it has only really worked one year and that was the first year that it was used.

stonecoldfvr
August 17th, 2002, 6:11 PM
What I say is let Nebraska play the SEC teams, and then we'll see who is tough! They would get they're ass whipped every year. Miami busted them last year! Don't mess with Southern football teams you will lose sooner or later!!!!!!!

Dumpy
August 17th, 2002, 6:28 PM
Originally posted by MTR
I have nothing against Nebraska but they had no right to play for the title last season. They did not even win their division in their conference. They did not even play for their conference title yet they got to play for the national title. That is plain wrong. They got blown out. An early loss is not as bad as a late loss. Plus Colorado avenged one of its two losses and won their conference should have been to their advantage. Don't forget Oregan State who was ranked up there higher than Nebraska as well. The BCS does not work in my eyes. I think it has only really worked one year and that was the first year that it was used.

So you're saying the non-conference schedule means nothing? A loss is a loss, no matter when it happens. Nebraska had one, Colorado had two. Simple has that. And who is to say that the confernence champion has to be the one that plays for the national title? 99 out of 100 times it will be, but this was an extreme case where they didn't deserve to be. Look at what happened at the end of the season to get Nebraska to the Rose Bowl! Oklahoma State upsetting Oklahoma, LSU upsetting Tennessee, and Colorado beating Texas to name a few. Hell, imagine if Miami had been upset by Virginia Tech (which they almost were). We would've had a Nebraska/Colorado rematch in the Rose Bowl :drool:

As for Oregon, they had more of a right to be in the Rose Bowl than Colorado did (which they proved in the Fiesta Bowl, by the way). But let's compare Oregon and Nebraska. Nebraska's strength of schedule was higher. Each had one loss, but Nebraska's was to a much better team (Colorado) than Oregon's (Stanford). And the only reason Oregon was higher in the polls was because their loss was earlier in the season. It shouldn't matter WHEN the loss happened, only that it happened.

I'd also like to point out what happened during the '99 season. Nebraska's only loss was to Texas, which they later avenged in the Big 12 Championship. But did Nebraska go to the national championship? Nope, and they didn't deserve to because they still had that one loss, and Virginia Tech didn't have any. Sure, Virginia Tech's schedule was pathetic, but we won't get into that...

Dumpy
August 17th, 2002, 6:41 PM
Originally posted by stonecoldfvr
What I say is let Nebraska play the SEC teams, and then we'll see who is tough! They would get they're ass whipped every year. Miami busted them last year! Don't mess with Southern football teams you will lose sooner or later!!!!!!!

Where to begin...

First of all, Nebraska is no stranger to the SEC. Many a time in the past few years Nebraska has played the champion of the SEC in a bowl game. '96 Fiesta Bowl, Nebraska vs. Florida, ass kicking. '98 Orange Bowl, Nebraska vs. Tennesse, ass kicking. 2000 Orange Bowl, Nebraska vs. Tennesse, ass kicking.

Second, I'll agree with you that the SEC is a strong conference, but so is the Big 12 (stronger, in my opinion) so don't pretend like Nebraska in in the MAC.

Yes, Miami beat the hell out of Nebraska last year. Miami was the better team, plain and simple. My only point was Nebraska was the most deserving team to play them. But what does Miami have to do with the SEC?? They're in the Big East...

Don't mess with Southern football teams, you will lose sooner or later? As evidenced by my first point, I guess it's later rather than sooner! :lol:

stonecoldfvr
August 17th, 2002, 6:44 PM
SEC football is the best! Nough said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dumpy
August 17th, 2002, 7:12 PM
SEC football is the best! Nough said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, what an amzing post. You really put me in my place. I tip my hat to you.

But seriously, you may be right. The SEC is a strong conference. How about you explain why you think the SEC in the best?

The Brothers Grimm
August 17th, 2002, 9:05 PM
I think ESPN said it best on Sport Center when they said the only ones who thought Nebraska should be in the National Championship were the Nebraska fans.

stonecoldfvr
August 17th, 2002, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Dumpy

Wow, what an amzing post. You really put me in my place. I tip my hat to you.

But seriously, you may be right. The SEC is a strong conference. How about you explain why you think the SEC in the best?

Well when it's all said and done at the end of the year every year, look how many wins the SEC has over every other conference.:)

Dumpy
August 18th, 2002, 4:10 PM

Well when it's all said and done at the end of the year every year, look how many wins the SEC has over every other conference.:)

Eh, I don't want to look back at all those records, do you? Let's just agree that they're both strong conferences.

Let's also agree that since 1990, the Big 12 (or Big 8) has had 5 national championships, and the SEC has had 3. :D

The_shad
August 18th, 2002, 5:31 PM
Oooo, seems to be some Nebraska bashers out there...

How can you possibly think Colorado deserved to go to the Rose Bowl ahead of Nebraska? Granted, they beat Nebraska in somewhat of a lopsided game, but you Colorado fans seem to forget that season-opening loss against Fresno State. FRESNO STATE! It doesn't matter that it happened early in the season, it still happened. And the BCS doesn't penalize teams more for losing late in the season, unlike the voters with their selective memories, which is one of the reasons why the BCS is a much better system than the one we had before.

:wtf: Well, I was joking when I said that Colorado should have been ahead of Oregon, but I'm dead serious about the Nebraska debacle. Nebraska just choked in the last game and they didn't even get to the conference finals (Colorado/ Texas). And they played in the nationals not even conquering their own division. And Fresno State was actually a contender this year. We were unfortunate enough to have been the first to find out. Fresno was good, but the Huskers choked (:yes: ) and were superceded by the Buffs. But all jokes aside, it really should have gone Oregon/ Miami for the title with Colorado in 3rd and Nebraska in 4th. Such a lopsided win is definately enough by how they do these things to warrant Colorado's lead over Nebraska. The BCS is cracked. But we Coloradans won't EVER let you guys forget that game. :p

The_shad
August 18th, 2002, 5:59 PM

So you're saying the non-conference schedule means nothing? A loss is a loss, no matter when it happens. Nebraska had one, Colorado had two. Simple has that. And who is to say that the confernence champion has to be the one that plays for the national title? 99 out of 100 times it will be, but this was an extreme case where they didn't deserve to be. Look at what happened at the end of the season to get Nebraska to the Rose Bowl! Oklahoma State upsetting Oklahoma, LSU upsetting Tennessee, and Colorado beating Texas to name a few. Hell, imagine if Miami had been upset by Virginia Tech (which they almost were). We would've had a Nebraska/Colorado rematch in the Rose Bowl :drool:

The way they have been doing it, non conference loses count less than conference loses and conference wins count more than non conference wins. so, logically, if it were up between 2 teams with 1 lose total, but one with 1 conference loss, the one with the nonconference loss goes in. But now its a matter of perception. Does 2 losses and a victory over your competitior who has one overide total standings? I say yes, but you cannot ever really tell. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember CU having an abnormally high ranked schedule, higher than Nebraska, wasn't it? ;) But I was hoping for one last upset in that game too. :cry:

As for Oregon, they had more of a right to be in the Rose Bowl than Colorado did (which they proved in the Fiesta Bowl, by the way). But let's compare Oregon and Nebraska. Nebraska's strength of schedule was higher. Each had one loss, but Nebraska's was to a much better team (Colorado) than Oregon's (Stanford). And the only reason Oregon was higher in the polls was because their loss was earlier in the season. It shouldn't matter WHEN the loss happened, only that it happened.

Well, some guys take losing late in the season as cracking to the pressure. And it didn't help that it was a VERY large win. Colorado was better than Stanford (even though that is the home college of #7 JOHN ELWAY :yes: ), you have to take into account such a large deficit and scepticism about pressure. Plus, teams sometimes get worse as time progresses, so realistically, Nebraska could have gotten worse down the road and the Ducks better. Thats why later games count so much.

I'd also like to point out what happened during the '99 season. Nebraska's only loss was to Texas, which they later avenged in the Big 12 Championship. But did Nebraska go to the national championship? Nope, and they didn't deserve to because they still had that one loss, and Virginia Tech didn't have any. Sure, Virginia Tech's schedule was pathetic, but we won't get into that...

It's all a judgement call. Personally, I trusted the polls more than BCS (especially the Coaches) before the contraversy cause there is more indepth knowledge about a team by the coaches than these 3rd party reviewers. And there is a lot more diversity in it. The BCS comes down to very few votes while there are, what, 200+ different teams for the regular polls. And since that is what they usually run by, I'd go with precident over BCS.

stonecoldfvr
August 18th, 2002, 6:28 PM

Eh, I don't want to look back at all those records, do you? Let's just agree that they're both strong conferences.

Let's also agree that since 1990, the Big 12 (or Big 8) has had 5 national championships, and the SEC has had 3. :D

That's true dumpy, but if you look at their schedules, the SEC has harder schedules than the Big 12! I mean if the SEC played who Nebraska plays, given 1 or maybe 2 teams they would have more championships, okay! Here's Nebraska's schedule:

Arizona State-who?
Troy State- I know who, because I'm from Alabama, but still what?
Utah State- who?
Penn State-used to be great, but can't win to save there life now
Iowa State- semi tough
McNeese State-who the hell is this?
Missouri-given win
Oklahoma State-will put up a fight, but who?
Texas A&M-Finally they're playing somebody
Texas- Toughest team on they're schedule
Kansas- they will put up a fight, but they will lose
Kansas State- another win for Nebraska
Finally Colorado-2nd toughest team on schedule

So there you have it for Nebraska! 3 teams that are really somebody! I mean others may put up a fight, but when it comes down to it. They play about 3 tough teams. That's why they got they're ass beat so bad at the NC game, because they actually played somebody!

Now for an SEC schedule, lets just say Florida's schedule

UAB
Miami-hard
Ohio
Tennessee-hard
Kentucky
Mississippi
LSU-won't be easy
Auburn -hard as usual
Georgia-won't be easy
Vandy
South Carolina
Florida State-hardest of them all

There's six teams Florida has to play, that are tough or will give them a run for they're money. It's like that will all the SEC schedules! If it came down to it and Nebraska had to play SEC teams every year, bottomline they would lose and look like idiots just like they did last year, when Miami stomped they're ass in the ground. I think I've proven my point!
:) :D

Dumpy
August 18th, 2002, 6:48 PM

That's true dumpy, but if you look at their schedules, the SEC has harder schedules than the Big 12! I mean if the SEC played who Nebraska plays, given 1 or maybe 2 teams they would have more championships, okay! Here's Nebraska's schedule:

Arizona State-who?
Troy State- I know who, because I'm from Alabama, but still what?
Utah State- who?
Penn State-used to be great, but can't win to save there life now
Iowa State- semi tough
McNeese State-who the hell is this?
Missouri-given win
Oklahoma State-will put up a fight, but who?
Texas A&M-Finally they're playing somebody
Texas- Toughest team on they're schedule
Kansas- they will put up a fight, but they will lose
Kansas State- another win for Nebraska
Finally Colorado-2nd toughest team on schedule

So there you have it for Nebraska! 3 teams that are really somebody! I mean others may put up a fight, but when it comes down to it. They play about 3 tough teams. That's why they got they're ass beat so bad at the NC game, because they actually played somebody!

Now for an SEC schedule, lets just say Florida's schedule

UAB
Miami-hard
Ohio
Tennessee-hard
Kentucky
Mississippi
LSU-won't be easy
Auburn -hard as usual
Georgia-won't be easy
Vandy
South Carolina
Florida State-hardest of them all

There's six teams Florida has to play, that are tough or will give them a run for they're money. It's like that will all the SEC schedules! If it came down to it and Nebraska had to play SEC teams every year, bottomline they would lose and look like idiots just like they did last year, when Miami stomped they're ass in the ground. I think I've proven my point!
:) :D

Yeah, I'll admit that Nebraska's non-conference schedule looks a bit soft THIS YEAR, but Big 12 and SEC conference schedules are comparable.

Actually, we really shouldn't be talking about schedules before the season starts. There's no telling who's going to be good and who's not. Just look at Kansas State and Florida State, for example. Two teams that are usually in the title hunt but really stunk it up last year.

Dumpy
August 18th, 2002, 6:57 PM
Anybody care to make some pre-season predictions? I'm going to say Oklahoma and Tennessee for the national championship.

The_shad
August 18th, 2002, 7:01 PM
Stonecoldfvr, just don't forget that any given team can win at any given day. And last year was a bad year for quite a few normally consistant teams. Especially K State. But I don't feel sorry for them. So chalk that total up to 4 (or 3 1/2 since they are questionable). The #5 would happen to be OK State (they aren't exactly pushovers like some people think). And then there is Oklahoma, which is not on their schedule, but IS in the conference. That is #6. And a few teams on your schedule that you will play are not inconference. And all schedules are not created equal. Observe.

Florida

Aug 24 - Open
Aug 31 - vs. U-A-B, 6:00 PM
Sep 7 - vs. Miami-Florida, 5:00 PM Hard (Out of Conference)
Sep 14 - vs. Ohio U, 6:00 PM
Sep 21 - at Tennessee, 3:30 PM Hard
Sep 28 - vs. Kentucky, TBA
Oct 5 - at Ole Miss, 2:00 PM
Oct 12 - vs. L-S-U, TBA Not Easy
Oct 19 - vs. Auburn, TBA Hard
Oct 26 - Open
Nov 2 - at Georgia, TBA Not Easy
Nov 9 - at Vanderbilt, 2:00 PM
Nov 16 - vs. So Carolina, 1:00 PM
Nov 23 - Open
Nov 30 - at Florida State, 8:00 PM Hard (Out of conference)

Auburn

Aug 24 - Open
Aug 31 - at U-S-C, 8:00 PM
Sep 7 - vs. Wstn Carolina, 5:00 PM
Sep 14 - vs. Vanderbilt, 12:30 PM
Sep 21 - at Miss State, 7:45 PM
Sep 28 - vs. Syracuse, 2:00 PM
Oct 5 - Open
Oct 12 - vs. Arkansas, 2:00 PM
Oct 19 - at Florida, TBA Hard
Oct 26 - vs. L-S-U, 2:00 PM Not Easy
Nov 2 - at Ole Miss, 2:00 PM
Nov 9 - vs. UL Monroe, 2:00 PM
Nov 16 - vs. Georgia, 2:00 PM
Nov 23 - at Alabama, TBA

Georgia

Aug 24 - Open
Aug 31 - vs. Clemson, 7:45 PM
Sep 7 - Open
Sep 14 - at So Carolina, 3:30 PM
Sep 21 - vs. Northwestern St, 1:00 PM
Sep 28 - vs. New Mexico St, 1:00 PM
Oct 5 - at Alabama, TBA
Oct 12 - vs. Tennessee, TBA Hard
Oct 19 - vs. Vanderbilt, 1:00 PM
Oct 26 - at Kentucky, 7:00 PM
Nov 2 - vs. Florida, TBA Hard
Nov 9 - vs. Ole Miss, TBA
Nov 16 - at Auburn, 2:00 PM Hard
Nov 23 - Open
Nov 30 - vs. Georgia Tech, TBA

So, you see, it averages out.

Colorado

Aug 24 - Open
Aug 31 - vs. Colorado State, 1:00 PM (Not hard, but a great game. :yes: )
Sep 7 - vs. San Diego St, 7:00 PM
Sep 14 - vs. U-S-C, 3:30 PM
Sep 21 - at U-C-L-A, 3:30 PM
Sep 28 - Open
Oct 5 - vs. Kansas State, TBA Not Easy
Oct 12 - at Kansas, TBA
Oct 19 - vs. Baylor, TBA
Oct 26 - vs. Texas Tech, TBA
Nov 2 - at Oklahoma, TBA Not Easy
Nov 9 - at Missouri, TBA
Nov 16 - vs. Iowa State, TBA
Nov 23 - Open
Nov 29 - at Nebraska, 3:30 PM Hard

Not exactly starstudded, but it is good. And all the hard ones in conference too. :yes: BIG 12 all the way. :yes: And then Mountain West. :(

stonecoldfvr
August 18th, 2002, 7:11 PM
Well that's true about not judging teams before the games, and your right any given Saturday or Thursday, anything can happen, but for my prediction for NC this year, I say Auburn and Miami!!!!!!!!!! War Eagle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dumpy
August 18th, 2002, 7:44 PM
Well that's true about not judging teams before the games, and your right any given Saturday or Thursday, anything can happen, but for my prediction for NC this year, I say Auburn and Miami!!!!!!!!!! War Eagle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:
Sorry, but Auburn... :wtf:

Actually, anything's possible, so I wouldn't rule them out. But I don't think Miami will be able to make it through their schedule without a couple losses.

My predictions are just wild guesses. I have to pick someone from the Big 12, and I think Oklahoma is the most likely. Texas I think is overrated, Nebraska's in a rebulding year, and Colorado will have to forfeit their last few games becuase of the rump kicking they'll get in Lincoln. :D

DAKPluto
August 19th, 2002, 1:24 AM
Okay, I haven't hit this thread in a while. Time to give my thoughts.

Colorodo-Nebraska: Neither deserved to go. Two losses killed CU, and not winning your conference killed Nebraska. Oregon deserved the game.

I'll admit that Nebraska probaly was better than Oregon, and had they played each other, NU would have won. But not winning your conference should automaticly put you out of the National Title picture. It's tradition (something that the human polls put into effect, but the computers will never be able to calculate)

SEC: Most people will argue that this IS the toughest conference in NCAA 1-A. But not because every team is so great, but because the teams match up well against each other. That is what makes it fun to watch.

Strength of Schedule:

Sorry, but Miami takes the cake on this one this year:

Aug 31 vs Florida A&M - Easy, but they have played each other for years.
Sep 7 at Florida - The first test of Miami this year. Great to see them play each other again.
Sep 14 at Temple - Shouldn't be too hard
Sep 21 vs Boston College - Always haunts Miami. BC never does good against bad teams, but they always play good against ranked teams
Oct 5 vs Connecticut - New to the conference, this should be a cakewalk.
Oct 12 vs Florida State - One of the best games of the year, every year. Never an easy game.
Oct 26 at West Virginia - :lol:
Nov 2 at Rutgers - Only problem here is Greg Schiono was the former defensive coordinator for Miami. Knows their plays, but doesn't have the players to stop them.
Nov 9 at Tennessee - This is going to be tough.
Nov 21 vs Pittsburgh - Always tries to show promise, but always comes up short. But they will finally spark when nobody expects it.
Nov 30 at Syracuse - Good warmp-up to VT.
Dec 7 vs Virginia Tech - Good way to end the year. VT should be back to being a top 10 team this year.

Without a doubt, the Florida/Florida State/Tennessee part is hard as hell. And having to play at Florida and Tennessee makes it even harder. Thank god we get FSU at home.

If Miami can go 12-0, it will be a miracle. But 11-1 should be good enough for a National Title shot, if the win is early, and against a top ranked team.

JoJo the rabid monkey
August 19th, 2002, 2:11 AM
Arizona State:21
Nebraska:7

This I predictiate...:squint:

The_shad
August 19th, 2002, 2:20 AM
Okay, I haven't hit this thread in a while. Time to give my thoughts.

Colorodo-Nebraska: Neither deserved to go. Two losses killed CU, and not winning your conference killed Nebraska. Oregon deserved the game.

I'll admit that Nebraska probaly was better than Oregon, and had they played each other, NU would have won. But not winning your conference should automaticly put you out of the National Title picture. It's tradition (something that the human polls put into effect, but the computers will never be able to calculate)

Thats what I said. :squint: But do you think that Colorado was better than Nebraska or more deserving of that title spot despite the fact that Oregon deserved it most out of all.

Dumpy
August 19th, 2002, 2:35 AM
Originally posted by JoJo the rabid monkey
Arizona State:21
Nebraska:7

This I predictiate...:squint:

I predicitate your predicitate to be very, very wrong. Although I never would've predicitated this the last time Arizona State and Nebraska played back in '96:

Arizona State: 19
Nebraska: 0

And Nebraska was coming off a national championship that year. This year we're coming off the national championship game. And that year we just lost Heisman runner-up QB Tommie Frazier. This year we just lost Heisman winner Eric Crouch.

Damn it, JoJo! Now you've got me worried! :scared:

JoJo the rabid monkey
August 19th, 2002, 3:09 AM

I predicitate your predicitate to be very, very wrong. EA Sports is never wrong.:squint:

So it is written, and so it shall come to pass:

Arizona State: 21
Nebraska: 7

DAKPluto
August 19th, 2002, 8:02 AM

Thats what I said. :squint: But do you think that Colorado was better than Nebraska or more deserving of that title spot despite the fact that Oregon deserved it most out of all.

Neither. I don't think either one deserved it. And I feel the old traditions of the bowls would have kept this from being a problem.

This is the problem with the BCS. It has tried to turn 2 days of bowl games into "mini-playoff" and it doesn't work. In a perfect world, Nebraska, Colorado, and Oregon would have all played each other. And the best of the three would have played Miami.

But as I said, Oregon was number 2 in both polls, and should have gone. The BCS should only be used to solve differences between the human polls.

MTR
August 19th, 2002, 9:01 AM
Yeah personally I think Oregan or Colorado should have gone to the game. My main thing is that the fact that a team that did not even play for the conference championship should not jump over a team that stomped them and went on to win their conference championship. When it comes to football since we do not have playoffs like we should only conference champions should be allowed to play for the title.

Personally I feel like you should take a few more bowls and make the BCS a playoff. Top 8 teams square off. You only need three more bowls to pull this off. And one of the main four can still host the title game in the end and rotate. Take the conference champs you have now and the two at large and let them play it out over a couple weeks. More football for the fans and we finally get a decisive champion. Division I AA, II, and III all do playoffs. No reason that we can not do that same in Division I A. Keep the bowls but make the BCS a playoff for the top 8 teams. Sure the will still be arguement over who deserves to be the 2 at large but I would take that any day over an arguement about who should have got to play for the title if we have a playoff.

MTR
August 19th, 2002, 9:09 AM
My main thing for saying that the SEC is the best overall is because of the strength of all teams. I wish they would all play better non-conference. But overall we usually do better in non-conference than any other conference. Not every year but generally over the last decade or so. Big 12(Big 8) has been the other team to do well in non-conference.

The thing with the SEC is the fact that things are more balanced. Overall we have maybe one great team or two any given year and one maybe two doormats and the rest are about equal ground which makes your conference-schedule so hard. You win games you thought you would lose and you lose games that you thought you would win. And even the top teams lose a game sometimes during conference play and the doormats win a surprise game over somebody. Over the last few years Ole Miss has been finishing with an even conference record. They play LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Arkansas, and Miss. State every year out of their division. They also played Georgia every year but I think that has changed this year or next plus two other East opponents that rotate. We play Vandy a lot though despite that but one year we played Florida and Tenn. in the same season. That was a killer. This year we have Florida I know plus the West and maybe Georgia. Not sure off hand. I think we play a Big 12 team this year as well. Early for me and I can not think off the top of my head but I will look it up later. The SEC has it tough.

Now the Big 12 just does not come off that way. You have your powerhouses that run over everyone else and you may or may not fill your bowl slots where the SEC has 6 or 7 slots and we almost always have at least 8 teams that are eligible for bowls. Ole Miss got left out last year despite having 7 wins.

So that is the way I look at things when it comes to the conferences. I like Big 12 and they are the best behind the SEC in my view. Right behind them is the Big 10(who can not count).

Dumpy
August 19th, 2002, 12:50 PM
I don't think we'll ever agree who the most deserving team to play Miami last year was. I think Nebraska, some of you think Oregon, some of you think Colorado, and that's fine. In all honesty, I don't think any of them were very deserving. Florida, Tennessee, Oklahoma, and Texas all had a chance to claim their spot as the number 2 team, but they all choked.

I like the BCS. It's far from a perfect system, but it's better than any previous system. If you look at the final BCS standings last year, you'll see that all of the computers had Nebraska ranked second or third, while the human voters had them fourth. Of course you look at that and think, "What the hell is wrong with those crazy computers? The BCS sucks!" But the only thing wrong with the computers is that, unlike the human polls, they don't work on a "bubble" system, where a team keeps rising if the keep winning, but when they lose the bubble pops and they fall like a rock. The Colorado game was Nebraska's first loss, so why should they fall below a bunch of 2 and even 3 loss teams?

The other "problem" with the computers is that they aren't biased pieces of sh*t that try to take matters into their own hands if they don't like what the human polls spit out. If you'll remember, last year, after all those upsets, when it was realized that Nebraska still had a shot at the Rose Bowl, many of the voters decided that was wrong and tried to stop it. Before the final AP and Coaches polls came out, the AP had Colorado third and Nebraska fourth. The coaches had Nebraska third and Colorado fourth. So everyone bitched and moaned, so when the final poll came out, the coaches flip flopped NU and CU when NEITHER ONE OF THEM HAD PLAYED A GAME THE PREVIOUS WEEK!

That, my friends, is complete and utter bull sh*t.

So because of that, and that ridiculous "quality-win component", Colorado was a mere .05 points behind Nebraska, and so continued the bitching and moaning.

Before you say the quality win component is a good thing, let me give you a quick history lesson. It was added last year to prevent so-called travesties like the one that happend in 2000, when Florida State was number 2 ahead of Miami who had beat them, and Washington, who had beaten Miami. But let me point out that if this had been in place in '99, one-loss Nebraska would've likely finished ahead of undefeated Virginia Tech, and even I'll agree that that would've been wrong.

My point is this quality win crap will cause more problems than it'll correct. They already watered it down this year, how long before they get rid of it entirely?

All of that aside, I like the BCS, and have always liked the BCS for one simple reason: controversy. It creates controversy almost every year, and that make good entertainment. Who wasn't sitting on the edge of their seat during the BCS selection show last year, wondering who would play Miami? Or the year before, wondering if Florida State would go over Miami? Or the year before, wondering if Nebraska would sneak in there over V Tech?

Some of you would argue that we need a playoff system, but I say we alrady have one: the regular season. Every single game counts, and can make or break you. One loss is often all it takes to eliminmate you from the title picture. It puts so much more emphasis on the regular season than any other sport, that's why I like it. Give it a playoff system and you'd be taking away the one thing that us unique about college football.

The_shad
August 19th, 2002, 2:24 PM
Dammit, double post again. Damn, messy computer. You are taking all responsibility for this, my friend. *punchs computer* :mad:

The_shad
August 19th, 2002, 2:25 PM

Neither. I don't think either one deserved it. And I feel the old traditions of the bowls would have kept this from being a problem.

This is the problem with the BCS. It has tried to turn 2 days of bowl games into "mini-playoff" and it doesn't work. In a perfect world, Nebraska, Colorado, and Oregon would have all played each other. And the best of the three would have played Miami.

But as I said, Oregon was number 2 in both polls, and should have gone. The BCS should only be used to solve differences between the human polls.

Ok, now I get ya.

And that is true. Nebraska, Colorado, and Oregon should have played each other, but at the same time, Miami should have been in there just to complete the playoff like atmosphere that is building. And then, judging by how the bowls went, after a Miami/ Nebraska and Oregon/ Colorado, it would be Oregon/ Miami for the title just like it should have been. All they needed is that one game afterwards. But it didn't happen. :cry:

Originally posted by MTR
Yeah personally I think Oregan or Colorado should have gone to the game. My main thing is that the fact that a team that did not even play for the conference championship should not jump over a team that stomped them and went on to win their conference championship. When it comes to football since we do not have playoffs like we should only conference champions should be allowed to play for the title.

Personally I feel like you should take a few more bowls and make the BCS a playoff. Top 8 teams square off. You only need three more bowls to pull this off. And one of the main four can still host the title game in the end and rotate. Take the conference champs you have now and the two at large and let them play it out over a couple weeks. More football for the fans and we finally get a decisive champion. Division I AA, II, and III all do playoffs. No reason that we can not do that same in Division I A. Keep the bowls but make the BCS a playoff for the top 8 teams. Sure the will still be arguement over who deserves to be the 2 at large but I would take that any day over an arguement about who should have got to play for the title if we have a playoff.

Yea, thats my main thing too. It would have been more understandable if Colorado was only conference champs. It would be more understandable if Colorado only beat Nebraska in that one game by a lot. But both?!?! Na, na, na. That is enough to actually make a statement that Colorado should have a shot st the title. Something Nebraska didn't make at the end of the season, despite being 11-1, was a statement after not winning that Colorado game and not even going to the Conference. It is preposterouis that a team that wasn't even eligable for their conference game, didn't even play for best in their conference, logically putting them as 3rd best in the conference, would go for the national title.

And I sure would enjoy a playoff. Colroado would teach these suckers the true meaning of football. :yes: :p Anyway, I'd enjoy it if it were a 6 team playoff. I'm usually against too many team in the playoffs (especially in hockey. 1/2 of the league :mad: ), so I'd get the top 6 from their averages in the 2 polls (kill the BS with a C in the middle) to grant their rank. There are other intangebles to go by if there is a tie, as always. And the top 2 get week one off. Just like the NFL. :yes:

Originally posted by MTR
So that is the way I look at things when it comes to the conferences. I like Big 12 and they are the best behind the SEC in my view. Right behind them is the Big 10(who can not count).

Point taken in that whole tirade and I have nothing I can retort with, so I'll just laugh at your big 10 joke. :lol: :p

I don't think we'll ever agree who the most deserving team to play Miami last year was. I think Nebraska, some of you think Oregon, some of you think Colorado, and that's fine. In all honesty, I don't think any of them were very deserving. Florida, Tennessee, Oklahoma, and Texas all had a chance to claim their spot as the number 2 team, but they all choked.

Yea, we won't. And there is no real way of proving who was more deserving. The BCS says one thing. The polls say another. And the fans say another. You ccould sort of see this coming though. With all those upsets that allowed this to come to a point, you almost knew something would happen. And it did. The BCS wasn't made to do this. All those upsets just crashed it. The BCS isn't perfect. And we need to find something to correct its problems.

I like the BCS. It's far from a perfect system, but it's better than any previous system. If you look at the final BCS standings last year, you'll see that all of the computers had Nebraska ranked second or third, while the human voters had them fourth. Of course you look at that and think, "What the hell is wrong with those crazy computers? The BCS sucks!" But the only thing wrong with the computers is that, unlike the human polls, they don't work on a "bubble" system, where a team keeps rising if the keep winning, but when they lose the bubble pops and they fall like a rock. The Colorado game was Nebraska's first loss, so why should they fall below a bunch of 2 and even 3 loss teams?

I don't like the BCS. Its far from perfect. but it is the best we have and, chances are, we won't see this crash again for a long time. But the thing I dislike most about it is that it DOESN'T work on the bubble system. Every game is exciting that way. Lose one earlier in the season, you are in bad shape, but it could be worse. Lose one down the stretch and you are screwed. It means that every game, especially the late season ones are must wins. So if you lose, so sorry, try again next year. And winning the championship is a real accomplishment under all that pressure, all those hits, and all those teams out to get you. But the only reason Nebraska fell behind those 2 and 3 loss teams is because of the huge defecit. And it wasn't like they really did much to get back to the top. Nebraska was quiet for a long time, but still rose up. Its a 2 way system in the polls and if they rank too low, they put em higher. A human touch is the only thing that the computers can't do. Logic isn't all you need to use.

The other "problem" with the computers is that they aren't biased pieces of sh*t that try to take matters into their own hands if they don't like what the human polls spit out. If you'll remember, last year, after all those upsets, when it was realized that Nebraska still had a shot at the Rose Bowl, many of the voters decided that was wrong and tried to stop it. Before the final AP and Coaches polls came out, the AP had Colorado third and Nebraska fourth. The coaches had Nebraska third and Colorado fourth. So everyone bitched and moaned, so when the final poll came out, the coaches flip flopped NU and CU when NEITHER ONE OF THEM HAD PLAYED A GAME THE PREVIOUS WEEK!

I think you are talking about my human touch. Nebraska still had a shot and they flipflopped CU and NU. Because their hearts said that CU should still have a shot with all this they have done. CU made its voice known. NU sorta cracked. It wasn't bias. A lot of people dislike CU. They just felt that the NU/ CU game and the conference championships were too much to let go. So NU and CU got switched. But a computer doesn't have that passion. If sports was all logic and no heart, the yankees would win every year. ... Wait a minute...

So because of that, and that ridiculous "quality-win component", Colorado was a mere .05 points behind Nebraska, and so continued the bitching and moaning.

Before you say the quality win component is a good thing, let me give you a quick history lesson. It was added last year to prevent so-called travesties like the one that happend in 2000, when Florida State was number 2 ahead of Miami who had beat them, and Washington, who had beaten Miami. But let me point out that if this had been in place in '99, one-loss Nebraska would've likely finished ahead of undefeated Virginia Tech, and even I'll agree that that would've been wrong.

I do think that quality wins a pure crap. A win is a win, but you cannot put a number to these thing. You cannot rank a game like CU/ NU with a number. It should be outlawed, but it isn't. Quality wins are intangible. If a human poller thinks that some win is important enough, they will factor it and it might mean a rank or two. But a not really important win should be left alone. One of the things that gets me is that BYU was ranked so low becaus etheir schedule wasn't too good. so if your schedule sucks, you can't get a championship? That shouldn't happen, but it does. A big game cannot equal a number. It just cannot be done... done correctly at least.

My point is this quality win crap will cause more problems than it'll correct. They already watered it down this year, how long before they get rid of it entirely?

Dunno, but they should get rid of it soon. Poor BYU deserved a shot even though they would have lost. :p :D

All of that aside, I like the BCS, and have always liked the BCS for one simple reason: controversy. It creates controversy almost every year, and that make good entertainment. Who wasn't sitting on the edge of their seat during the BCS selection show last year, wondering who would play Miami? Or the year before, wondering if Florida State would go over Miami? Or the year before, wondering if Nebraska would sneak in there over V Tech?

But if it is causing controversy every year, is that really that good. Sure, it might be a little entertaining, but if everyone disagrees with it every single year, doesn't that signify that something is up. There is something they are missing or some bug in the computers because the BCS shouldn't disagree with what all coaches think, what all AP reporters think, and all fans think. America is majority rules so 100,000,000 should outway 1. But it doesn't.

Some of you would argue that we need a playoff system, but I say we alrady have one: the regular season. Every single game counts, and can make or break you. One loss is often all it takes to eliminmate you from the title picture. It puts so much more emphasis on the regular season than any other sport, that's why I like it. Give it a playoff system and you'd be taking away the one thing that us unique about college football.

A playoff system really would only be an extension of what the regular season already holds. It just lets the teams that should play each other play each other. And that certain will make for great games. Its just like the NFL, but the NCAA Football creates a lot more tension, pressure, and excitement.

MTR
August 19th, 2002, 2:45 PM
No we are not going to agree on who should have played but that is life. I like the debate that has come out of it. But I hate that it comes down to that almost every year with the current BCS system. Too much debate in my mind. I feel like Nebraska was a great team and would be a great at large for a 8 team playoff but straight to a title game when you did not play for your conference bugs me.

As far as the bubble thing. That is one thing about NCAA football. A late loss hurts you. By the end of the season you should be at your best though in preparing for a bowl game and possible shot at the National title. You can not let your guard down at all so yes a late loss is worse than an early loss. An early loss you can make up for it or even avenge in a conference title game like CU did.

And I am glad you like my little joke, Shad. That conference drives me nuts that they can not simple rename themselves like the Big 8 did when they added 4 teams. Granted kind of stupid in my view to name your conference with a number in case you want to drop or add teams.

The_shad
August 19th, 2002, 3:11 PM
Originally posted by MTR
No we are not going to agree on who should have played but that is life. I like the debate that has come out of it. But I hate that it comes down to that almost every year with the current BCS system. Too much debate in my mind. I feel like Nebraska was a great team and would be a great at large for a 8 team playoff but straight to a title game when you did not play for your conference bugs me.

Agreed.

As far as the bubble thing. That is one thing about NCAA football. A late loss hurts you. By the end of the season you should be at your best though in preparing for a bowl game and possible shot at the National title. You can not let your guard down at all so yes a late loss is worse than an early loss. An early loss you can make up for it or even avenge in a conference title game like CU did.

Yup. CU gets all the credit on that one. Not too many people cared about the Texas loss because we avenged it. Few also cared about the Fresno loss because it was early season and Fresno wasn't too bad. But those tallies in the loss column killed us. Had we not lost to Fresno, we would be national champs right now because Miami couldn't handle us. :p

And I am glad you like my little joke, Shad. That conference drives me nuts that they can not simple rename themselves like the Big 8 did when they added 4 teams. Granted kind of stupid in my view to name your conference with a number in case you want to drop or add teams.

Ever notice that there are 3 conferences that claim to be big? Seems like some teams have a little insecurity problem. :p Well, having a Big 12 with 10 teams is better than having a strike, right? :)

The_shad (Ever notice that the colors "mailbagguy" and "shad" are the same? Seems like the server is telling us something. :p)

Dumpy
August 19th, 2002, 4:53 PM

A human touch is the only thing that the computers can't do. Logic isn't all you need to use.

True that, but the humans need to use some logic. After Colorado and Nebraska were done with their regular seasons, the coaches had Nebraska third and Colorado fourth. Then when LSU upset Tennessee and it looked like Nebraska had a chance at the Rose Bowl, they flip flopped them. NEITHER NEBRASKA NOR COLORADO HAD PLAYED A GAME THAT WEEK! They just couldn't let Nebraska into the Rose Bowl. Most of them probably thought Oregon was most deserving, but they couldn't move them up any higher than second, so they just dropped Nebraska. And I repeat: NEITHER NEBRASKA NOR COLORADO HAD PLAYED A GAME THAT WEEK! It's just wrong. They may not like the BCS, but it's what we've got, live with it. Trying to rig it like that disgusts me, not just as a Nebraska fan, but as a college football fan in general.

I do think that quality wins a pure crap. A win is a win, but you cannot put a number to these thing. You cannot rank a game like CU/ NU with a number. It should be outlawed, but it isn't. Quality wins are intangible. If a human poller thinks that some win is important enough, they will factor it and it might mean a rank or two. But a not really important win should be left alone. One of the things that gets me is that BYU was ranked so low becaus etheir schedule wasn't too good. so if your schedule sucks, you can't get a championship? That shouldn't happen, but it does. A big game cannot equal a number. It just cannot be done... done correctly at least.

Amen to all that. I'm glad we finally agree on something! :beer:

But if it is causing controversy every year, is that really that good. Sure, it might be a little entertaining, but if everyone disagrees with it every single year, doesn't that signify that something is up. There is something they are missing or some bug in the computers because the BCS shouldn't disagree with what all coaches think, what all AP reporters think, and all fans think. America is majority rules so 100,000,000 should outway 1. But it doesn't.

I agree that too much controversy is a bad thing, but where are you getting this every year stuff? Last year had a lot, and there was some the year before with the Florida State/Miami/Washington thing, but the two years before things went fine.

It's not like the human polls play no part in the BCS, they play a huge part, bigger than any of the other components. And there were lots of people who thought Nebraska was the best choice, and not just people IN Nebraska. At the end of last year, there was a poll about it at ABC's BCS website. Nebraska won, Oregon was second, and Colorado was third.

A playoff system really would only be an extension of what the regular season already holds. It just lets the teams that should play each other play each other. And that certain will make for great games. Its just like the NFL, but the NCAA Football creates a lot more tension, pressure, and excitement. [/B]

When I say I like the BCS, that doesn't mean I'm completely against a playoff. I think a playoff would be great and fun to watch, I just don't think all the BCS bashing is necessary. I think it's done a fine job, and it's what we have for at least the next few years. Live with it.

Originally posted by MTR

You make some good points, but I still think a loss should be a loss no matter when it happens. Some of the voters actually vote this way, taking the whole season into accound rather that just that one loss that happened this week.

Yup. CU gets all the credit on that one. Not too many people cared about the Texas loss because we avenged it. Few also cared about the Fresno loss because it was early season and Fresno wasn't too bad. But those tallies in the loss column killed us. Had we not lost to Fresno, we would be national champs right now because Miami couldn't handle us.

There you go again, just dismissing the Fresno loss becuase it happened early. IT STILL HAPPENED. Early losses can't be ignored, conference or non-conference. Yes, you avenged the Texas loss, but it still happened. (See: Nebraska, 1999)

If you would've beaten Fresno, you would've been in the Rose Bowl, hands down, no questions asked. But you didn't, so better luck next year. And see you in Lincoln on Thanksgiving. :p

By the way, Miami would've wiped the floor with you.:D

DAKPluto
August 20th, 2002, 1:03 AM

EVERY team has a chance to claim that title shot at the beginning of the season. But in the end, Oregon was the only that had a real argument for it, IMO.

I like the BCS. It's far from a perfect system, but it's better than any previous system.

The orginal system of the polls worked for DECADES, and worked very well. Sure, their was few arguments, but not as many as the BCS causes.

If you look at the final BCS standings last year, you'll see that all of the computers had Nebraska ranked second or third, while the human voters had them fourth. Of course you look at that and think, "What the hell is wrong with those crazy computers? The BCS sucks!" But the only thing wrong with the computers is that, unlike the human polls, they don't work on a "bubble" system, where a team keeps rising if the keep winning, but when they lose the bubble pops and they fall like a rock. The Colorado game was Nebraska's first loss, so why should they fall below a bunch of 2 and even 3 loss teams?

That's easy. Because they didn't win their conference. And the BCS system is so screwed up that losing their conference gave them the title shot. Had Nebraska won to play for the conference, and lost the conference game, the computers would have placed them at an estimated 5 or 6th.

I wouldn't be suprised if Nebraska actually thinks about throwing the game against Colorado this year. It actually helps them.

Yah, but the computers maybe need a tad bit of biased. The computers don't can't watch the game. The computers can't see a Nebraska three years ago playing like SHIT against UCF. In fact playing so bad that they were losing at the half, and their own fans booed them as they walked off the field. They may have slipped in a win, but the game was a flop for them. The humans can see that, and adjust their thinking. All the computers can see is : Win by 7 points.

There is so many intangibles that the computers can't see. You talk about the flip-flop of NU and CU. Maybe the coaches had seen something in practice that affected them. An injury report can affect it. If Miami annouced today that Ken Dorsey would be out the entire season, I think you may see a flop after the first week of the polls. Once again, the computers can't see that.

The "quality-win" is an attempt to emulate the humans. It was designed to prevent Miami's argument year before last. Miami beat FSU in the regular season, only to see FSU go ahead of Miami in the BCS, even though FSU's only lost was to Miami.....:wtf:

And Colorado can bitch all they want about how they should be over Nebraska (which they should have been) but they cannot argue that Oregon should have been over them (which Oregon proved by knocking the shit out of CU)

More proof that the BCS is a crock of shit. It is a system that will never be perfect

This is not the controversy that the sport needs. It shows what a flawed system, and a roll of the dice the computers are. Teams make it in by being lucky at the computers, not by what really happens during the season. Of course, I also find it funny that it is still possible that the BCS can possibly cause the very controversy it was designed to prevent. Had Nebraska beaten Miami, the BCS dictates that the Coach's poll has to declare Nebraska the winner. The AP poll, however, is bound to that rule. They most likely would have picked Oregon over NU. Split-Champions.

Some of you would argue that we need a playoff system, but I say we alrady have one: the regular season. Every single game counts, and can make or break you. One loss is often all it takes to eliminmate you from the title picture.

Or, in the case of Nebraska, it can put you in the title picture, assuming it happens in the right game.

It puts so much more emphasis on the regular season than any other sport, that's why I like it. Give it a playoff system and you'd be taking away the one thing that us unique about college football.

The BCS took away what is unique about College football. A system where humans can decide the true champion. A system where winning isn't as important as how you win.

Dumpy
August 20th, 2002, 4:15 PM

The orginal system of the polls worked for DECADES, and worked very well. Sure, their was few arguments, but not as many as the BCS causes.

Oh yeah, the original system did a wonderful job (note sarcasm). You couldn't swing a dead cat without hittng a split championship, and not just because of the Pac 10/Big 10 Rose Bowl deal. Colorado and Georiga Tech split in '90, for example. There was rarely a true national championship game between #1 and #2.

That's easy. Because they didn't win their conference. And the BCS system is so screwed up that losing their conference gave them the title shot. Had Nebraska won to play for the conference, and lost the conference game, the computers would have placed them at an estimated 5 or 6th.

I wouldn't be suprised if Nebraska actually thinks about throwing the game against Colorado this year. It actually helps them.

First of all, losing their conference didn't give them a title shot. Losing to CU killed Nebraska's title hopes. But then an INCREDIBLE series of upsets put them back in it. Florida, Tennessee, Oklahoma, and Texas all were upset in the last 2 weeks of the season to put Nebraska back in it. It was a VERY unusual season, and it's very unlikely anything like it will ever happen again.

Second, if Nebraska had played Texas for the conference title and lost, Texas would've gone to the Rose Bowl, no questions asked. It wouldn't matter where Nebraska went. But I think fifth or sixth would be awful low, but it doesn't matter.

I won't even dignify your last 2 sentences with a response.

Yah, but the computers maybe need a tad bit of biased. The computers don't can't watch the game. The computers can't see a Nebraska three years ago playing like SHIT against UCF. In fact playing so bad that they were losing at the half, and their own fans booed them as they walked off the field. They may have slipped in a win, but the game was a flop for them. The humans can see that, and adjust their thinking. All the computers can see is : Win by 7 points.

You people act the like entire season is at the mercy of computers. The computers are ony one part of the BCS rankings! THE HUMAN POLLS ARE IN IT TOO! If you want bias, there it is! If you want human touch, there it is! If you want logical, un-biased rankings, there's the computers. They equal each other out.

Back when Nebraska and Central Florida played, margin of victory was part of the computers. They saw Nebraska only winning by 7 and not 49 and adjusted the rankings appropriately. But now margin of victory is gone, and that's fine. The computers now might not be able to see the difference, but I repeat, WE STILL HAVE THE HUMAN POLLS! They see it, they adjust their rankings appropriately.

There is so many intangibles that the computers can't see. You talk about the flip-flop of NU and CU. Maybe the coaches had seen something in practice that affected them. An injury report can affect it. If Miami annouced today that Ken Dorsey would be out the entire season, I think you may see a flop after the first week of the polls. Once again, the computers can't see that.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You're kidding, right? See something in practice? Injury report?? Yeah, I'm sure the coaches went to Nebraska's and Colorado's practices and thought, "Hmmm. Colorado looked better in practice. I think I'll move them up in my poll." Or they looked at an injury report and saw that Nebraska's third string waterboy was injured and decided to drop them in their poll. Please. We both know damn well what happened. They saw what they perceived as an injustice, thought the system was wrong, and took it into their own hands to change it. They failed. Next time they better just be safe and drop Nebraska out of the Top 25. That'll fix the BCS. (note even more sarcasm)

The "quality-win" is an attempt to emulate the humans. It was designed to prevent Miami's argument year before last. Miami beat FSU in the regular season, only to see FSU go ahead of Miami in the BCS, even though FSU's only lost was to Miami.....:wtf:

And Colorado can bitch all they want about how they should be over Nebraska (which they should have been) but they cannot argue that Oregon should have been over them (which Oregon proved by knocking the shit out of CU)

More proof that the BCS is a crock of shit. It is a system that will never be perfect

This is not the controversy that the sport needs. It shows what a flawed system, and a roll of the dice the computers are. Teams make it in by being lucky at the computers, not by what really happens during the season. Of course, I also find it funny that it is still possible that the BCS can possibly cause the very controversy it was designed to prevent. Had Nebraska beaten Miami, the BCS dictates that the Coach's poll has to declare Nebraska the winner. The AP poll, however, is bound to that rule. They most likely would have picked Oregon over NU. Split-Champions.

The BCS doesn't need something to emulate humans! It has the real thing! Living, breathing, human beings who control two little things called the ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll and the Associated Press Top 25!

As far as last year goes, you seem to forget that Miami lost to Washington, who in turn lost to someone else, who lost to someone else, who lost to someone else. Head to head isn't everything, or we probably could've had Oklahoma vs. Ball State in the Orange Bowl. Miami beat Florida State, so Miami was higher in the human polls, but Washington beat Miami, why weren't they ahead of Miami?

Should've been this, could've been that, would've done that. The fact of the matter is this: the BCS has done what it's supposed to, it's given us a consensus national champion since it started in 1998. Does anyone think Tennessee, Florida State, Oklahoma, or Miami weren't deserving? Of course not.

The BCS isn't perfect, but what system is? The previous system sure as hell wasn't, and even a playoff system wouldn't be without it's problems. But would a playoff be better than the BCS? Maybe, but do we need to cry wolf every year we don't like something it does and demand a playoff? No. Just settle down, enjoy the sport, and wait for 2006 and we'll go from there.

JoJo the rabid monkey
August 23rd, 2002, 6:31 AM
Season opener comin' up.

Colorado State: 31
Vriginia: 14

The mighty EA sports has spoken...:squint:
Close enough.:yes:

Wisconsin 42
Fresno State 34 (OT)

:squint:

stonecoldfvr
August 23rd, 2002, 3:48 PM
I say Wisconsin-28
Fresno State-14

What time does that game come on tonight, by the way, isn't it on ESPN?

Quinn
August 23rd, 2002, 4:36 PM
I think it starts at 7 tonight...I'll be watching. :yes:

DAKPluto
August 23rd, 2002, 6:30 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/cpickem/frontpage

Free Fantasy football from ESPN.com. Feel free to join. I created a private group called RajahWWF. The password to the group is Rajah.

Should be fun!!!!

DAKPluto
August 23rd, 2002, 10:57 PM
Okay, this Fresno State vs. Wisconsin is turning out to be a good game. I may have to re-think my Wisconson over UNLV on the 31st.........

stonecoldfvr
August 23rd, 2002, 11:10 PM
I can't believe this game, it is so good, I predicted Wisconsin to win, but dammit I want the underdog, Fresno State to win. Now it looks like with 2:54 to go in the game, Wisconsin is going to win it. Come on Fresno State!

DAKPluto
August 23rd, 2002, 11:14 PM
Well, that ends that chance for Fresno. Who the hell put that man on the recieving end of kickoffs?

stonecoldfvr
August 23rd, 2002, 11:19 PM
Who knows? This quarterback is to ancy. He needs to calm down. All they have to do is get into field goal territory! This game is so good. I love games like this!

DAKPluto
August 23rd, 2002, 11:21 PM
That's game. Fresno had a chance, but that young QB just made too many rookie mistakes.

I bet he will never make the Intentional Grounding play again ;)

The_shad
August 23rd, 2002, 11:24 PM
That's game. Fresno had a chance, but that young QB just made too many rookie mistakes.

I bet he will never make the Intentional Grounding play again ;)

:lol: Had they had Carr, they probably woulda won. But a great game anyway. :yes:

DAKPluto
August 23rd, 2002, 11:26 PM

:lol: Had they had Carr, they probably woulda won. But a great game anyway. :yes:

That's what College football is all about. I love it.

stonecoldfvr
August 23rd, 2002, 11:30 PM
I love College Football also. It's wonderful, good game, better than I thought it would be. I wish all the games were like this one.

JoJo the rabid monkey
August 24th, 2002, 12:43 PM

Wisconsin 42
Fresno State 34 (OT)

:squint:
2-0, thus far.:D

Ohio State 14
Texas Tech 7
Tech will give'em a run, but the Buckeyes will end up on top.

Florida State23
Iowa State0
That was with five minute quarters:scared::eek:

North Carolina State26
New Mexico13
Take that, you WAC deserting bastards!

stonecoldfvr
August 25th, 2002, 1:25 PM
Well what can I say about that Florida State game, they almost got their ass beat. That was a damn good game, better than I thought it would be looking at the first half. Bring on next week, oh and hed, War Eagle and I hope Bama gets stomped by Middle Tennessee State!

ANT
August 25th, 2002, 6:06 PM
Poor Iowa St. They still have road games vs K state, Oklahoma, Texas, Colorado, and a Home game against Nebraska!

JoJo the rabid monkey
August 26th, 2002, 12:30 AM

2-0, thus far.:D

Ohio State 14
Texas Tech 7
Tech will give'em a run, but the Buckeyes will end up on top.

Florida State23
Iowa State0
That was with five minute quarters:scared::eek:

North Carolina State26
New Mexico13
Take that, you WAC deserting bastards! 5-1, now.

Next week's big prediction:

Florida:31
Miami29
Gonna be a real nail-biter, folks.

stonecoldfvr
August 29th, 2002, 12:28 AM
So onto this week's games!

Alabama vs. Middle Tennessee State-God I'm praying for MTS. I hate Alabama

Auburn-USC- WAR EAGLE, WAR EAGLE!

JoJo the rabid monkey
August 31st, 2002, 12:54 AM
So onto this week's games!

Alabama vs. Middle Tennessee State-God I'm praying for MTS. I hate Alabama

Auburn-USC- WAR EAGLE, WAR EAGLE!

You're not gonna like my predictions...

JoJo the rabid monkey
August 31st, 2002, 12:55 AM
Game with no meaning, except to me:

UTEP: 31
Sacramento State (1AA):3

:D

stonecoldfvr
August 31st, 2002, 1:52 AM
Tell me your predictions. I can handle it. I love football, and can talk about all day, speaking of which, Bobby almost lost his ass in that game. Plus, Oklahoma is not impressing me much.

stonecoldfvr
August 31st, 2002, 1:54 AM
Auburn is going to have it tough Monday night, I can't believe I'm going to have to tape Raw, but nothing is as important to me as my Tigers. No more Monday night games, and plus we have Friday night games this year. Yeah! I love football!

JoJo the rabid monkey
August 31st, 2002, 2:12 AM
Tell me your predictions. I can handle it. I love football, and can talk about all day, speaking of which, Bobby almost lost his ass in that game. Plus, Oklahoma is not impressing me much. I forgot the scores, but Both 'Bama and 'Burn lost.

stonecoldfvr
August 31st, 2002, 2:51 AM
I would say Bama too would lose, but after watching OU last night, they didn't impress me much, i mean come on they were playing Tulsa, Bama is tougher than that, I hope the Sooners win. I wonder if JR will mention the game in the Ross Report next week, I'm sure he will. He will say, It's going to be a Slobber Knocker! Auburn, I only pray that my boys win!

The_shad
August 31st, 2002, 4:19 PM
CU 13, CSU 19

Wow, what a game. I'm more of a CSU fan in this series (they never are too incredibly good. Not enough for a national championship at least) so it was REALLY fun to see them win. What is it? 3 years outta 4 now? WOOOOOOOOOOO

DAKPluto
August 31st, 2002, 11:17 PM
GUTSY!!!! That's all I can say about that 4th down play by Georgia. Gutsy!

stonecoldfvr
September 1st, 2002, 12:27 AM
Georgia, pulled it out of there ass! I was so sure, that Clemson was going to get that field goal, thereby sending it into overtime! Damn that was a good game.

Best games of the day!

MTS vs. Alabama-damn Alabama almost lost there ass in that one, they have no defensive, and like I've always heard, offensive sells tickets, defense wins championships. First game of the year, I was so excited, I was actually thinking that MTS might pull it off, great game in the second half. Damn Alabama! Only prays OU gets them next week.

CS-CO- damn that was a good game, and hopefully this will shut up the Colorado fans for a while.

Clemson-Georgia-I knew this would be good, and I really thought Clemson could tie it up and possibly win, but like I said Georgia pulled it out of there ass.

The rest were pretty patheic.

Nebraska-Troy State- Nebraska is so tuff. Wow we beat Troy State by 15 whoopdeedo!
Florida-UAB- UAB is an embarrasment to our state, get the hell of the field.
Oregon-MSU-Jackie Sherrill Sucks
Tennessee-Wyoming-damn Tennessee, Wyoming looked pretty bad
Penn State-Central Florida-big whoop!
Oh and Notre Dame and Maryland, can anyone tell me how the hell Maryland got ranked in the first place. A totall shut out! WTF? And these guys were ranked #1 in there conference last year, how? Notre Dame is not that tuff, but you can bet when the polls come out, they will shoot up to #15 probally. It's like this every season. I hate Notre Dame!
Michigan-Washington- wow what an upset, please, Michigan will probally be ranked, #2 when the polls come out. Do you know that Michigan had 3 losses and was still in the top 25? WTF?
Michigan and Notre Dame will get beat this year, no doubt about it, but will they drop out of the top 25, probally not. Just not right.
Hopes Virginia Tech knocks off LSU today, and Hopes and prays, my Boys beat USC. War Eagle!!!!!!!!!!!

DAKPluto
September 1st, 2002, 1:20 AM
Michigan will not be ranked #2. There is no reason to do so. OK won big. Texas won. Michigan will go up, bo no higher than 6 or 7.

Dumpy
September 1st, 2002, 1:22 AM
Random thoughts from Dumpy:

-How did Michigan's kicker make that field goal? How?? I hate Michigan!

-Colorado lost!! WHOOOOO!!!! I hate Colorado! But don't worry Colorado fans, everybody will forget about this loss by the end of the season and you'll go to the Fiesta Bowl with 4 losses.

-Penn State looks like mule feces, Nebraska wins 24-3 in two weeks.

-Poor Alabama.

-Defending Big 10 and ACC champions got spankified. No repeat for them.

-All 3 big Florida teams look good. At least one of them will be in the Fiesta Bowl. I hate Florida teams.

-Nebraska defense and special teams strong, offense questionable. DeJuan Groce is god.

-Troy State will be the 2016 national champions, defeating Kansas in the RajahWWF.com Rose Bowl (and the BCS will still be around,but the quality win component will only count in victories over top 5 teams, unless that team is also in the top 5, in which case margin of victory will be factored in 3 of the computer polls which would be determined by the strength of schedule of the number 10 team, unless the number ten team is lower than number ten in the AP or Coach's poll, in which case the number 11 team will be the determining factor.)

-The rippling of Beano Cook's neck is quite hypnotic.

stonecoldfvr
September 1st, 2002, 1:23 AM
I know, it's just seems like they like to keep Michigan up there! oh and by the way, it's seems weird to me, that we can get along when we're talking about football, so maybe there is something we have in common!

DAKPluto
September 1st, 2002, 1:26 AM
I can talk to anybody about College football. And even though the rule only applies to the Asylum, I try to keep it in all the forums. What happens in a forum, stays in a forum. I don't drag baggage from forum to forum.

Do you like anybody Dumpy ;)

stonecoldfvr
September 1st, 2002, 1:29 AM
That's cool, and it seems to me that Dumpy is a Nebraska fan?

The_shad
September 1st, 2002, 1:30 AM
-Colorado lost!! WHOOOOO!!!! I hate Colorado! But don't worry Colorado fans, everybody will forget about this loss by the end of the season and you'll go to the Fiesta Bowl with 4 losses.

Some of us Colorado fans are happy. I was rooting for CSU. :yes: While its a big blow to CU, maybe it is for the best. It might focus them. But chances are that CU won't get back to the spot they were in last year for a few years. O well. CU's season may have just turned into conditioning for one game. CU/ NU. We are waiting...

DAKPluto
September 1st, 2002, 1:33 AM
Well, looks like the game of the week next week will be Miami vs. Florida. The true opening test for both teams this year. I think the biggest question on everybodys mind will be: Ron Zook.

Can't wait to see this battle between Dorsey and Grossman. Although I think Miami may try to establish a good run game instead. But it is going to be great to see Ryan Moore play. He was one of the top #50 high school prospects in the nation, and I have watched him play the last 4 years. He graduated from my high school. GO DP!!!

stonecoldfvr
September 1st, 2002, 11:01 PM
How about those Wildcats of Kentucky! Man they played the best I've ever seen them play in a long time! If they keep that up, they may be hard to handle. Oh and LSU, picked to go #1 in the west again this year, WTF? LSU may play better later on in the season, but the team I saw play today, looked like total shit. If they are the best in the west, I would hate to see Auburn tomorrow. Speaking of tomorrow! War Eagle baby! I hope my boys can pull it off!

Dumpy
September 2nd, 2002, 8:08 PM
CU/ NU. We are waiting...

So are we... :)

stonecoldfvr
September 3rd, 2002, 1:07 AM
Dammit Auburn lost! They had every opportunity to win that game, and should have. Stupid ass Daniel Cobb, is not a quarterback, and the coaching needs to get better. 4 down and 1 and Tommy decides to go for it instead of the positive points, what the hell? Auburn wasn't too shabby and Carnell Williams is good, so is Ronnie Brown, but they need to work on the offense. The defensive line is okay, but they need to work on the secondary. Oh well, they played hard and I'm proud of them. I just hope they win the rest of their games. WAR EAGLE!!!!!!!!!!

The_shad
September 3rd, 2002, 1:43 AM
Dammit Auburn lost! They had every opportunity to win that game, and should have. Stupid ass Daniel Cobb, is not a quarterback, and the coaching needs to get better. 4 down and 1 and Tommy decides to go for it instead of the positive points, what the hell? Auburn wasn't too shabby and Carnell Williams is good, so is Ronnie Brown, but they need to work on the offense. The defensive line is okay, but they need to work on the secondary. Oh well, they played hard and I'm proud of them. I just hope they win the rest of their games. WAR EAGLE!!!!!!!!!!

Aw, that sucks. It really hurts when 1 play/ player screws you out of a win. I get that feeling everytime the Denver Broncos lose. :mad: But look on the bright side, you have the same record as CU. :)

And Dumpy, I was talking about the University of Nevada. Who the hell are you talking about? :D :p

stonecoldfvr
September 3rd, 2002, 1:49 AM
True, Daniel Cobb was half of the problem in that game. I just want my boys to win, win, win, win! Oh well, there's always next week. Western Carolina. They better win that, or I will scream my lungs out!

The_shad
September 3rd, 2002, 1:55 AM
*considers buying earplugs, just in case*

*realizes if CU loses next week, Shad'll scream*

*goes to get super duty ear plugs*

Next week could get pretty loud. :\ By the way, anyone know what the "big" matchups are supposed to be next week? I need to know what the Top 25 is doing. :yes:

stonecoldfvr
September 3rd, 2002, 2:43 AM
okay here we go:
Miami-Florida
Oklahoma-Alabama
Florida State-Idle
Texas-Idle
Tennesse-Middle Tennessee State
Colorado-San Diego State, but you knew that I'm sure
Georgia-Idle
Nebraska-Utah State
Washington State-Idaho
Michigan-Western Michigan
Ohio State-Kent State
Oregon-Fresno State
Virginia Tech-Marshall-Sept 12
USC-Idle
Michigan State-Rice
South Carolina-Virginia
Texas A&M-Pittsburgh
Penn St-Idle
Wisconsin-don't know if they won or loss, can't remember but if they did it's-West Virginia

whew that was long, but as you can see the best games look to be Miami and Florida and Bama and Oklahoma and maybe Marshall and Virgina Tech! That's about it for next week.

Oh and by the way the losses this week in the top 25 were,
Washington, Colorado, LSU, Louisville, and Maryland, so I have no Idea who will move into the top 25 this week. Wait a minute, I think I saw Notre Dame was on the list. Oh what a big suprise. Will have to check polls tomorrow!

Dumpy
September 3rd, 2002, 3:33 PM
Oklahoma/Alabama will be a great game. Two of college football's greatest lock horns...

Oh, wait...

Alabama sucks.

Never mind.

MTR
September 3rd, 2002, 3:42 PM
Well Ole Miss won but then again they played a no name school. So there should have been no problems anyway. Maybe Alabama should watch the tape of our game. :)

Anyway Eli kept his streak of games with a TD pass alive but overall did not really have a good game. Our running game stepped up along with defense to win that game. Which shows that we are not a one player team like some people are thinking we are.

DAKPluto
September 3rd, 2002, 11:41 PM
Miami-Florida Game of the week, no doubt. Question is, which team is more ready? We have an unknown Maimi Defense, and an unknown Florida Gators coach.......

Oklahoma-Alabama - Should be a breeze for OK. Alabama just doesn't have anything left.

Florida State-Idle - They redemed themselves against Virgina, but the 4th quarter still wasn't great for them. This could come back to haunt them

Texas-Idle Not much to say so far, but they look like they could contend this year

Tennesse-Middle Tennessee State Breeze for Tennessee.

Colorado-San Diego State - CU should slaughter SD. And they want blood after last weeks disgrace.

Georgia-Idle - Great game with Clemson. They could make a run in the conference.

Nebraska-Utah State - NU should post a BIG score here

Washington State-Idaho - Please. Washington's third string could win this one.

Michigan-Western Michigan - Easy game for Michigan. Nothing hard here

Ohio State-Kent State - After a great game last week, Ohio State is feeling good. No problem here.

Oregon-Fresno State - Oregon shouldn't worry, but they should watch their back. Fresno has a tendacy to scare some good teams.

Virginia Tech-Marshall-Sept 12 - Second best game of the season. If Marshall's QB is going to make a Heisman run, this is the best place to shine. But he isn't going to have a chance if they can't put up a great fight against a better team. But watch for the possible upset here.

USC-Idle -Good rest for them. If memory serves, they have a tough few weeks coming up.

Michigan State-Rice - No troubles here for MSU

South Carolina-Virginia - Virginia look much better in the 4th quarter at FSU, but I don't think they have the drive to go over South Carolina.

Texas A&M-Pittsburgh - Pitt is always promising a big year, could this finally be the one? Not likely, but stranger things have happened.

Penn St-Idle - Tough match with UCF. The break could help them. Papa Joe should win enough this year to keep Bowden from taking the lead.

Wisconsin-West Virginia - Wisconsin should run over them.

Just my take on this week. :yes:

JoJo the rabid monkey
September 5th, 2002, 6:11 PM
Miami: 29
Florida: 31

Book it.

DAKPluto
September 7th, 2002, 9:00 PM
HELL YES!!!!!!!!! My Cane's did it. YES!!!!

StephMcMahonUSA
September 7th, 2002, 9:17 PM
Yup, it's in the books. Miami 41, Florida 16. :( No doubt in my mind now about this season ~ Miami is gonna repeat as National Champions... :beer:

DAKPluto
September 7th, 2002, 9:23 PM
The only thing that still worries me is playing Tennessee at TN. That could be scary.

JoJo the rabid monkey
September 7th, 2002, 9:37 PM
Miami: 29
Florida: 31

Book it. :\

Disclaimer: Jojo's picks are not to be used as guidelines for gambling, regardless of whether or not it's legal, say, at a racetrack in Las Cruces, New Mexico.

500 iron men. Gone.:(

DAMN YOU REX GROSSMAN

DAKPluto
September 7th, 2002, 10:35 PM
South Caroline is about to let me down :\

stonecoldfvr
September 8th, 2002, 1:06 AM
Yeah Florida loss, sorry StephMcMahonUSA! I still love you and I do agree, Miami will repeat this year! Oklahoma snuck by Alabama, damn Bama, why don't they just go away! AUBURN WON! So I am happy this week, but we were playing a nobody! UAB beat Troy State by 1 point! What? I knew Miami was going to beat Florida, but I didn't think it would be a blowout! Oh well, my Tigers have 2 games back to back, next week, Vandy and Mississippi State! I pray we win! and dammit, Tennessee can burn in hell. The only time I want to see them win, is when they play Bama!

The Myth
September 8th, 2002, 4:26 AM
Go Boston U. football!

Oh wait...we don't have a football team...

Go Boston U. soccer!

The Myth (Loving the BC tailgate and post-party...and it's effects.)

The_shad
September 8th, 2002, 5:26 AM
Well, I'm quite content. CU had relatively little trouble with San Diego State today. Though, I was near heart attack before the 1st half was over. Too close. Too bad CSU had to lose, but it was a good game too.

Originally posted by The Myth

The Myth (Loving the BC tailgate and post-party...and it's effects.)

That looks familiar. :eyebrow:

:idea: That's my parenthesis ending comment thingamabob!!! :squint: :(

The_shad (:cry: )

DAKPluto
September 8th, 2002, 9:11 AM
Miami-Florida Game of the week, no doubt. Question is, which team is more ready? We have an unknown Maimi Defense, and an unknown Florida Gators coach.......

Wow. Nobody expected a blow-out like this. Grossman just never looked comfertable. It was the first full game of his career that he didn't throw a touchdown pass. I actuallly put this game on Zook's shoulders. I think he didn't press the deep pass enough. But YAY!!! Miami!!!! :D

Oklahoma-Alabama - Should be a breeze for OK. Alabama just doesn't have anything left.

All right, OK dodged a bullet here. Alabama came to play. This game could come back and haunt OK in the polls.

Florida State-Idle - They redemed themselves against Virgina, but the 4th quarter still wasn't great for them. This could come back to haunt them

Might gain some more votes this week with Oklahoma's bad game with Alabama. Although I would argue that they shouldn't be this high in the first place. :\

Texas-Idle Not much to say so far, but they look like they could contend this year

You know Texas was excited watching that OK game.

Tennesse-Middle Tennessee State Breeze for Tennessee.

I disappointed with Tennessee here. 26-3 is not that impressive for Tennessee playing MTS, but the spread was good enough to satisfy the BCS, so I guess not much to say.

Colorado-San Diego State - CU should slaughter SD. And they want blood after last weeks disgrace.

Not too much of a blowout, but CU looked good though. Tack a win up, and move on.

Georgia-Idle - Great game with Clemson. They could make a run in the conference.

Very happy watching Florida fall apart. Also they were VERY happy to see South Carolina choke. Georiga suddenly looks like they can contend for the Conference championship.

Nebraska-Utah State - NU should post a BIG score here

Okay, Nebraska made some statements here. Great game for them, and they should benifit really well off of Florida losing, and OK looking bad. Don't worry NU fans, they are back into the race.

Washington State-Idaho - Please. Washington's third string could win this one.

Did Idaho just not bother to show up? Easy win as expected.

Michigan-Western Michigan - Easy game for Michigan. Nothing hard here

Michigan got the job done, they should benifit well from this.

Ohio State-Kent State - After a great game last week, Ohio State is feeling good. No problem here.

:lol: Breeze for Ohio State. Looks like OSU might actually be rebuilding to powerhouse standards. I like that idea. OSU has some good tradition. Michigan better watch out for them.

Oregon-Fresno State - Oregon shouldn't worry, but they should watch their back. Fresno has a tendacy to scare some good teams.

As I said, Fresno has that ability to scare some good teams. Good work by Oregon getting back in this game, but they will take a hit in the polls from it.

Virginia Tech-Marshall-Sept 12 - Second best game of the season. If Marshall's QB is going to make a Heisman run, this is the best place to shine. But he isn't going to have a chance if they can't put up a great fight against a better team. But watch for the possible upset here.

Still waiting for this game. Should be a GREAT game. Leftwich NEEDS to look good this game for that Heisman run.

USC-Idle -Good rest for them. If memory serves, they have a tough few weeks coming up.

Their season really starts in October with games against Washington State, Washington, and Oregon in 3 of 4 weeks. And Notre Dame at the end of the season. Sorry USC fans, they don't have a prayer.

Michigan State-Rice - No troubles here for MSU

I would like to have seen a better game from Michigan State, but it will do.

South Carolina-Virginia - Virginia look much better in the 4th quarter at FSU, but I don't think they have the drive to go over South Carolina.

Never underestimate the power of revenge. Virginia looked great this game, and points to them for the upset. Good game.

Texas A&M-Pittsburgh - Pitt is always promising a big year, could this finally be the one? Not likely, but stranger things have happened.

Pitt tried, but looks like it is going to be another so-so year for them

Penn St-Idle - Tough match with UCF. The break could help them. Papa Joe should win enough this year to keep Bowden from taking the lead.

South Carolina's loss will raise them up a tad. But they have Nebraska next. Looks like PSU will suffer their first loss here.

Wisconsin-West Virginia - Wisconsin should run over them.

First quarter was close, then WV went home. WV cut their own throats with the penelties.

Well, that is my weekly recap. I'm going to try to do the preview and recap each week, so I hope y'all enjoy it. I would appreciate some feedback on this idea ;)

Anarchy Bunny
September 8th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Never underestimate the power of revenge. Virginia looked great this game, and points to them for the upset. Good game.

Woooooooo

That game was so great my head still hurts from da partays . . .

7 freakin' turnovers and possibly the greatest catch I've ever seen on any level ever by McMullen.

Holy Bejesus.

MTR
September 9th, 2002, 11:07 AM
What a blowout by Miami. Who would have thought that?

Damn Alabama actually looked good out there for a while this week. They got to stop that. :)

Ole Miss won again and Eli had a good game after a slow start. Running game was alive and kicking again this week. Ole Miss is looking good. We have Texas Tech this week I believe.

hed
September 9th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Stinkin' Tyler Watts and his butter fingers :mad:

We were so close, a long field goal could've tied it up, sigh.....

so close....

stonecoldfvr
September 9th, 2002, 8:35 PM
Yah! Tyler Watts dropped the ball! I was praying that Alabama would screw up. What a dumbass!!!!! In my opinion, he's not that good of a qb. He's average. Hell at least y'all have a decent qb. Jason Campbell is ours. Daniel Cobb sucks! Oh well, Alabama has North Texas and Auburn has Vandy and Miss. State both this week. I pray we win both!

hed
September 10th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Yeah, Tyler ain't all that great. He is alot better when Zow was playing though...

DAKPluto
September 13th, 2002, 9:00 PM
This week's Top 25 games:

#1 Miami at Temple - Umm, nobody really thinks that Temple has a chance, do they?

#2 Texas at North Carolina - Shouldn't be much of a problem for Texas. You can sleep through this one.

#3 Oklahoma vs. UTEP - :lol: How high is OK goibng to run up the score here? They have to reprove themselves after that disgrace with Alabama. They will make that statement here.

#4 Tennessee - IDLE

#5 Florida State at Maryland - Maryland has been waiting for this one since last year. Maryland wants to show that Notre Dame wasn't a sign of things to come. And this time they get FSU at home. But the battle will be tough. But the chance of upset is there, however unlikely.

#6 Michigan at #21 Notre Dame - GAME OF THE WEEK. Notre Dame is better than #21st. And here, they can prove it. Michigan is the favorite, but the home field is going to count for a lot. The action in this game is going to be feirce and tough. This game is NOT to miss. I won't even try to predict a winner here.

#7 Nebraska at #25 Penn State - Good game, if you are a Nebraska fan. Nebraska should run over Penn State.

#8 Ohio State vs. #11 Washington State - This would be game of the week, if Michigan/Notre Dame wasn't going on. This one is going to be close, but Ohio State is better this year than previous years. I'm looking for Ohio State to go on top, but it will not be easy, and the score will be close.

#9 Virgina Tech vs. #17 Marshall - VT won 47-21 - VT looked good, real good. The running game was just awesome. Marshall looked sloppy, which made Leftwich look sloppy. He can pretty much kiss that longshot Heisman good-bye.

#10 Georgia at South Carolina - This should be good. Georgia looks tough this year, and this game will be a good statement for them. Look for Georgia to just run over South Carolina.

#12 Oregon vs Idaho - :lol: That's all that can be said for this match-up.

#13 Florida vs. Ohio - Florida wants revenge, and they will extract tons of it here. This should be as bad as when they played UAB.

#14 Washington - OFF

#15 Michigan State vs. California - No chance here for California. Michigan State will destroy them.

#16 USC at #19 Colorado - Good game. Colorado needs to win this to keep any chance of National hopes. USC is going to make it REAL tough though.

#18 Wisconsin vs. Northern Illinois - No contest. Wisconsin is better than #18, and they will destroy NIU, hands down.

#20 NC State vs. Wake Forest - I think this is actually a good match-up. This game, although it will be a win for NC State, will be fun game to watch. Enjoy it.

#22 LSU vs. Miami (Ohio) - LSU should win this one. But Miami is tougher this year than in previous years. Still should be no problem though.

#23 Texas A&M - OFF

#24 BYU at Nevada - Sorry, I just don't think BYU deserves to be ranked, but oh well. BYU should win this one, but they will have to play better than they did against Hawaii.

Well, that is this week's edition of DAKPluto's Top 25 preview. I will have the recaps on Sunday.

stonecoldfvr
September 13th, 2002, 9:29 PM
Sweetie I just wanted to tell you that Tennessee and Florida don't play this week, they play next week. :) This week, Florida plays Ohio and Tennessee is Idle!

On a side note my Auburn Tigers have 2 games this week, Vandy tomorrow, and Mississippi State Thursday night! They will be tough games, because Vandy and MSU always play Auburn hard. What makes it worse is that they're playing at Auburn and it is suppose to poor down rain, down here tomorrow, prays Tigers don't fumble the ball. Alabama plays North Texas, should have no problems, but yet again it will be raining, 90% chance! War Eagle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAKPluto
September 13th, 2002, 11:16 PM
Sweetie I just wanted to tell you that Tennessee and Florida don't play this week, they play next week. :) This week, Florida plays Ohio and Tennessee is Idle!

You are absoultly correct. I misread the ESPN schedule. (Damn I wish they would put Idle Week on their poll.)

EDIT - My review has been edited.

JoJo the rabid monkey
September 14th, 2002, 2:50 AM
QUOTE]Originally posted by DAKPluto
This week's Top 25 games:

#3 Oklahoma vs. UTEP - :lol: How high is OK goibng to run up the score here? They have to reprove themselves after that disgrace with Alabama. They will make that statement here.
[/QUOTE] :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

DAKPluto
September 14th, 2002, 6:45 PM
Michigan State - CAL : http://216.40.241.68/cwm/cwm/eek2.gif

Notre Dame came through, I knew they would.

DAKPluto
September 14th, 2002, 10:24 PM
Damn, Penn State is going for a HUGE upset here.

PapaJoe is BACK!!!!!!!!!

Beautiful interception.

DAKPluto
September 14th, 2002, 11:21 PM
WOW, that's all I can say. Worst lost Nebraska has suffured since the 1990 lost to OK.

And I think that caps what can only be known as, UPSET WEEK. Boy, the polls are going to fun this week :D

maxx powerz
September 14th, 2002, 11:22 PM

#7 Nebraska at #25 Penn State - Good game, if you are a Nebraska fan. Nebraska should run over Penn State.

[/color]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

WE ARE . . . PENN STATE!

WE ARE . . . PENN STATE!

WE ARE . . . PENN STATE!

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

DAKPluto
September 14th, 2002, 11:24 PM
I think Penn State suprised EVERYBODY this week.

Well, so much for the whole NU, CU debate of last year. I remember both teams saying to watch this year. :lol:

stonecoldfvr
September 14th, 2002, 11:25 PM
I'm so happy that Penn State beat the shit out of Nebraska, I've said it before and I'll say it again. Nebraska is not worth a shit! They are hyped every year, and they get creamed every year! Auburn beat Vandy 31-6 WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I'm happy about that, but it's just Vandy! Ole Miss lost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOOOOOOOOOOO! Take that Eli! Alabama bet North Texas, dammit, Austin's old alma mater! He was at the game, from what I heard!

DAKPluto
September 14th, 2002, 11:46 PM
This week's Top 25 games: RECAP

#1 Miami at Temple - Umm, nobody really thinks that Temple has a chance, do they?

Miami won big, as expected. But they got too relaxed and allowed Temple to get within a TD at one point.

#2 Texas at North Carolina - Shouldn't be much of a problem for Texas. You can sleep through this one.

I'll admit, this game isn't officialy over yet, but it's over ;) This game was closer at the start than it should have been, but Texas finally woke up.

68-0. I think that speaks enough on its own.

#4 Tennessee - IDLE

They have Florida next week. They better be on their game.

#5 Florida State at Maryland - Maryland has been waiting for this one since last year. Maryland wants to show that Notre Dame wasn't a sign of things to come. And this time they get FSU at home. But the battle will be tough. But the chance of upset is there, however unlikely.

Maryland just didn't look good. Florida State looked pretty good also. Florida State should stay at #5.

#6 Michigan at #21 Notre Dame - GAME OF THE WEEK. Notre Dame is better than #21st. And here, they can prove it. Michigan is the favorite, but the home field is going to count for a lot. The action in this game is going to be feirce and tough. This game is NOT to miss. I won't even try to predict a winner here.

As I said, Notre Dame is better than #21. This game was awsome. Loved every second of it. Very proud to see Notre Dame establish Powerhouse status.

Okay, I was wrong here, thankfully :D Who would of ever thought? Old teams are becoming strong again. The upset alone was shocking, but running over NU? Amazing. PapaJoe is Back.

#8 Ohio State vs. #11 Washington State - This would be game of the week, if Michigan/Notre Dame wasn't going on. This one is going to be close, but Ohio State is better this year than previous years. I'm looking for Ohio State to go on top, but it will not be easy, and the score will be close.

I expected more out of Washington State. Ohio State looked wonderful though. I defintly see a Rose bowl for OSU if they keep this up.

#9 Virgina Tech vs. #17 Marshall - VT won 47-21 - VT looked good, real good. The running game was just awesome. Marshall looked sloppy, which made Leftwich look sloppy. He can pretty much kiss that longshot Heisman good-bye.

Game already reviewed.

#10 Georgia at South Carolina - This should be good. Georgia looks tough this year, and this game will be a good statement for them. Look for Georgia to just run over South Carolina.

Closer game that I thought it would be. I'll blame the weather for that. But as I expected, Georgia came out on top.

#12 Oregon vs Idaho - :lol: That's all that can be said for this match-up.

Yeah, good win, but it was Idaho, so who cares? :D

#13 Florida vs. Ohio - Florida wants revenge, and they will extract tons of it here. This should be as bad as when they played UAB.

First half Florida looked like they were still reeling from Miami. But they came back. But if they play like this against Tennessee, they will be destroyed.

#14 Washington - OFF

They have Wyoming next week, no problem.

#15 Michigan State vs. California - No chance here for California. Michigan State will destroy them.

Okay, HUGE upset again. Who would of thought? Cal looked really good here. Michigan State is going to be destroyed by Notre Dame next week if they keep this up.

#16 USC at #19 Colorado - Good game. Colorado needs to win this to keep any chance of National hopes. USC is going to make it REAL tough though.

CU is out of any National hopes now. May be out of the polls this week. USC looked really good, and with the upsets this week should move up.

#18 Wisconsin vs. Northern Illinois - No contest. Wisconsin is better than #18, and they will destroy NIU, hands down.

Wisconsin didn't look as good this game as they had the rest of the year. Oh well, they still won.

#20 NC State vs. Wake Forest - I think this is actually a good match-up. This game, although it will be a win for NC State, will be fun game to watch. Enjoy it.

As I thought. This game was fun to watch. Wake Forest looked like it had chances, but NC stayed on top.

#22 LSU vs. Miami (Ohio) - LSU should win this one. But Miami is tougher this year than in previous years. Still should be no problem though.

LSU just dominated. Fine work.

#23 Texas A&M - OFF

They got VT next. Good luck, they are going to need it.

#24 BYU at Nevada - Sorry, I just don't think BYU deserves to be ranked, but oh well. BYU should win this one, but they will have to play better than they did against Hawaii.

WOOO!! BYU is going to drop out of the rankings. Finally some more deserving teams will be ranked, like California.

Well, that is this weeks recap. I hope you enjoyed it. Look for the preview to be up early this week since I have several late nights at the end of the week.

Dumpy
September 15th, 2002, 2:34 PM
I can't believe I'm showing my face here after my Huskers got the absolute living sh*t beat out of them. Nebraska was out played. Nebraska was out coached. Nebraska just plain got their sh*t ate.

Penn State wanted that game. Bad. I guess they're still bitter about '94 or something.

Anyway, in a way I'm glad this happened. Frank Solich and his staff *cough* defensive coordinator Craig Bohl *cough* needed this wakeup call. There needs to be some changes. Big changes. But very little will likely happen this year. It's going to be a long year for the big red. Hell, the way this is looking, Colorado and Nebraska will be playing just to be bowl eligible :wtf:

But on the bright side, check out who now leads the RajahWWF college football pick 'em over at ESPN :D

Dumpy's updated Fiesta Bowl pick: Oklahoma vs. Cal

DAKPluto
September 15th, 2002, 6:20 PM

Dumpy's updated Fiesta Bowl pick: Oklahoma vs. Cal

Did you miss the Alabama vs. OK game? :wtf:

Not a chance. Cal looks good this year, but schedule strength will kill them.

My prediction: Miami vs. (Winner of FSU vs. Notre Dame)

stonecoldfvr
September 15th, 2002, 6:22 PM
My prediction: Miami vs. Tennessee, god I hope the Hurricanes repeat,if my Tigers can't win it!:)

DAKPluto
September 15th, 2002, 7:18 PM
My prediction: Miami vs. Tennessee, god I hope the Hurricanes repeat,if my Tigers can't win it!:)

Nah, Miami plays Tennessee late in the season, and the way the BCS and polls work, that late loss will hurt them too much (unless of course you are Nebraska and get to avoid the conference game. Tennessee won't have that luxery.)

Florida State plays Miami early, and their high place in the polls will make up for the schedule strength. (Sorry guys, but they only play three games worth caring about, Miami, Notre Dame, and Florida) And of those three teams, the only won they can afford to lose is Miami. If they lose to Miami, and beat ND and Florida, I think they can carry to the top. BUT, both Texas and OK would have to lose games. But I think that has a good chance of happening.

Java
September 15th, 2002, 7:54 PM
I always felt Colorado was so overrated coming into the season. What's more, over the last few years they always play like shit when everyone expects them to do well and great when no one expects nothing out of them, for example, last year. I expected USC to beat them, but I didn't expect that kind of beating.

Looking forwatd to Notre Dame - Mich St. next week. ND looks to keep its great season going against a team that has dominated them over the last few seasons and Mich. St. looks to rebound from this week's embarrasing performance. Should be interesting.

The_shad
September 15th, 2002, 8:46 PM
When one of my teams start to lose hope, another one seems to srat doing great. Right now, 2 of them are. :yes: Notre Dame and CSU. Notre Dame is ranked and moving up VERY fast and CSU is 3-1 with their only loss to UCLA (who I don't think has lost yet). Wow, I sorta feel bad for the Buffs, but as long as either Notre Dame, CSU, or Air force do well, I'm feeling good. :yes:

Dumpy
September 15th, 2002, 9:30 PM
I was kidding about Cal, but I think the Sooners will still manage to make it there. My original pick was Oklahoma vs. Tennessee, and I'm sticking to that.

stonecoldfvr
September 20th, 2002, 3:49 AM
Well my team did it, wasn't pretty at first but Auburn kicked the shit out of MSU. Thank God, I love how they rubbed it in too. True it might come back to haunt them, that's okay, we got our revenge from last year! I hate Jackie Sherrill and his Billy Joel always carry my playbook, never stands on the sideline, just the grass, self! He got his ass embarrased tonight. The only team I want them to beat is Alabama! To bad that's not going to happen, but I'm happy tonight! 42-14 War Eagle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Anarchy Bunny
September 20th, 2002, 9:06 AM
Yay we have the NCAA's football bitch, Akron for our homecoming game on Saturday.

Fuck that shit tho', i'm goin' rafting, camping and probably causing much drunken debauchery.

MTR
September 20th, 2002, 10:37 AM
You may have beaten one team from Mississippi but you won't beat another unless you are playing Southern Miss.

stonecoldfvr
September 21st, 2002, 1:36 AM
Southern Miss, I hope they beat Bama's ass tomorrow, but I'll have to wait and see Ole Miss.

stonecoldfvr
September 22nd, 2002, 4:27 AM
Okay I saw Ole Miss and they suck. Almost let Vandy beat them, come on! They don't have it! Oh and can I say, take that Tennessee! Everybody thought that T was going to beat Florida, but I had a feeling Florida would beat them. Just goes to show that Tennessee isn't all that. I can't wait to here all the T fans reaction. Hopefully this will shut up the fans and all the people saying Tennessee is all that!:) Bama won, as usual. Dammit, I hope Arkansas can get them next week, and I wouldn't be suprised if Kentucky gave Florida a run for there money. Anyways, a few upsets this week, can't wait to see if my team is ranked next week.

MTR
September 23rd, 2002, 3:07 PM
Don't tell me you just said that my Ole Miss Rebels suck. They do not suck. 3-1 on the season and Eli despite some slow starts have thrown for over 300 yards the last two games. Vandy is not always an easy win in the SEC. Just wait until we play Auburn and we beat the socks off of you.

stonecoldfvr
September 23rd, 2002, 11:40 PM
We'll see sweetie, will see. It's the SEC and you never know! You never know! Nov 2. we'll be waiting. I'm not going to say we'll win until I watch the game.

DAKPluto
September 26th, 2002, 11:35 PM
http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/cwm/cwm/eek2.gif

http://smilies.uniquehardware.co.uk/otn/shocked/Wow1.gif

26-20 Louie beats FSU.

Can I just say, HELL YEA!!!!!!!!!!

stonecoldfvr
September 27th, 2002, 12:28 AM
I'll second that OH HELL YEAH! LOUISVILLE BEAT FLORIDA STATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best game I've seen all year! I hope this shuts the Seminole fans up for awhile! I loved seeing Bobby get beat!:):):):):)

DAKPluto
September 27th, 2002, 12:34 AM
Well, I take back my prediction of Miami vs. winner of FSU vs. Notre Dame.

And, unfortunally, I think this loss by FSU will hurt them enough in the rankings that Notre Dame won't go to the Fiesta Bowl, even if they win out. (Unless of course Oklahoma and Texas lose a game or two each.)

So.......new prediction, but it has a couple of parts to it.

The Fiesta Bowl game will now be:

Miami vs. winner of Oklahoma vs. Texas, UNLESS the winner of that game lose a game somewhere else, in that case, Notre Dame plays.

BaldheadSlick
September 27th, 2002, 9:06 AM
The Canes are gonna take title no matter who we play, that being said I think we'll be playing Oklahoma for the title.

DAKPluto
September 27th, 2002, 11:40 PM
I don't see Oklahoma beating Texas though. :\

ANT
September 28th, 2002, 8:16 PM
WHOOOOOOOOOOOO! Iowa State

stonecoldfvr
September 28th, 2002, 8:23 PM
I know that's right! Go Iowa State! Nebraska sucks as usual. Penn State lost theirs too!!!!!!!!!!! Now if only Alabama would lose! Kentucky hung in there, got to say, fat ass should have ran on that last play, instead of throwing, they actuall had a chance to tie the game with Florida, and go into OT! Oh well I hope my Tigers win!!!!!!!!!!

DAKPluto
September 28th, 2002, 8:27 PM
Well, interesting day in College football. Looks like Nebraska will drop out of the polls for the first time in over 300 weeks of polls, and I'm guessing Air Force will enter the polls (as they should) Penn State should take a hit, as well as FSU. Miami was off so nothing important there.

And can I say, the two biggest suprises of the year, Notre Dame and Ohio State. At this point, I see either ND or OSU playing Miami in the Fiesta. They won't win, but they will play.

hed
September 29th, 2002, 2:33 PM
Oh my God Florida was SO close to losing , LOL! Anyway, yeah even though Bama's not elegiblefor any bowl games this year, we're still kicking ass and how about that red shirter, Brodie Croyle look last night?last night?

The_shad
September 29th, 2002, 2:45 PM
I feel betrayed by that SOB Ochs, but it lessens the pain when my favorite team overall, CSU, is ranked and looking to move on up. WooHoo! Expecially since their only loss was to the team that BEAT FSU. I'm hoping for a top 10 ranking this year, just since a national championship is almost impossible. :yes:

Dumpy
September 29th, 2002, 2:54 PM
Ouch.

My Huskers got their sh*t ate...again. Frankie Solich is going to have third degree burns on his ass after this one. Looks like we'll be lucky just to be bowl eligible this year. If we do somehow manage to get enough wins, it looks like the Tangerine, Houston, or Independence Bowl.

I see my ignorant friend stonecoldfvr said that "Nebraska sucks as usual." As usual? AS USUAL?? When exactly was this usual you're speaking of??

Anyway, my updated Fiesta Bowl pick is now Oklahoma vs. Virginia Tech. I still don't think Miami is going to make it through their schedule, and Texas will choke as usual.

Oh, god. Someone please tell me I didn't just use "Nebraska" and "Tangerine, Houston, or Independence Bowl" in the same sentence...

Dumpy
September 29th, 2002, 2:57 PM
Whoops, forgot to throw the Humanitarian Bowl in there. My bad.

The_shad
September 29th, 2002, 3:05 PM
Hey, hey, hey. The Independence Bowl might be the bowl my CSU Rams get into. Yet again, it may be Colorado and Nebraska playing. :lol:

Dumpy
September 29th, 2002, 3:19 PM
Yeah, so much for the big Colorado/Nebraska mathup that was supposed to have big BCS implications. They'll probably be playing each other for a spot in one of those crap bowls. Sad.

Anyone think McNeese State has a chance to beat Nebraska next week? I honestly wouldn't be too surprised if they did.

stonecoldfvr
September 29th, 2002, 5:57 PM
Well I hate Nebraska that's why I said that. Yeah hed, I think that Tyler Watts just lost his job as starting qb. Brodie Croyle looked great last night, and in my opinion if Franchonie is smart he'll start Brodie not Tyler next week against Georgia. Did you see my boys play, that was some ugly shit. We went into 3 OT's with Syracuse. That game was killing me. We played just awful, well let me back that up, Daniel Cobb played just awful and special teams. Tommy should have never put DC in. Jason Campbell went in and we got 3 TD's in a row. Damn that game, and poor Damon Duvall. He is only 3 of 7 on field goals this year. That's not good. But we didn't need him last night. We had Cadillac. Thank God! Oh well, it was ugly, but we won, and that's all that counts, but I will admit, we are going to have to play better, if we expect to beat Bama this year. War Eagle!

The_shad
September 29th, 2002, 8:37 PM
Wow, how the mighty have fallen. Nebraska is unranked for the first time since '81. I never thought I'd live to see CSU ranked and Nebraska unranked. :wtf:

http://sports.excite.com/news/09292002/v8906.html

hed
September 30th, 2002, 10:46 AM
Well I hate Nebraska that's why I said that. Yeah hed, I think that Tyler Watts just lost his job as starting qb. Brodie Croyle looked great last night, and in my opinion if Franchonie is smart he'll start Brodie not Tyler next week against Georgia. Did you see my boys play, that was some ugly shit. We went into 3 OT's with Syracuse. That game was killing me. We played just awful, well let me back that up, Daniel Cobb played just awful and special teams. Tommy should have never put DC in. Jason Campbell went in and we got 3 TD's in a row. Damn that game, and poor Damon Duvall. He is only 3 of 7 on field goals this year. That's not good. But we didn't need him last night. We had Cadillac. Thank God! Oh well, it was ugly, but we won, and that's all that counts, but I will admit, we are going to have to play better, if we expect to beat Bama this year. War Eagle!
I gotta admit, Cadillac is one bad mofo, aaah, if only he played for Bama...

Anyway, They'll play Watts next week against #7 ranked Georgia, no doubt about it. Of course, Watts will fuck up and we'll get the shit stomped out of us, but at least we'll get to blame Watts. " Er, the should've played Croyle! " will be a repeated statement come Sunday morning :\

Quinn
September 30th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Wooo!! I got 2nd place this week!! Too bad I'm still in second to last. :$

Anarchy Bunny
September 30th, 2002, 2:20 PM
I see my Virginia Cavaliers upsetting a 3rd ranked Virginia Tech for the Commonwealth Bowl at the end of November.

:lol::yes:

Although i will say this: look for them to upset one of their last big three games: VT, Penn State, or NC State.

hed
October 1st, 2002, 1:17 PM
I hope everybodys gonna be watching Bama kick the crap out of Georgia this weekend!!

stonecoldfvr
October 1st, 2002, 9:20 PM
More like I'm going to be watching Georgia beat Bama's ass!:)
War Eagle!

stonecoldfvr
October 6th, 2002, 1:42 AM
Oh Hell Yeah, Georgia won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:) Does a happy dance, and damn Ole Miss won too!!!!!!!!! Dammit, I can't believe it. Oh and MTR I'm sure your on cloud nine right now!!!! Dammit, Rex Grossman, I hope we tear up the Gators and Ole Miss! Damn Tennessee too! 6 OTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT's amazing game! Just another day of wonderful college football. Can't wait for next week!:)

MTR
October 6th, 2002, 4:10 PM
Ole Miss showed that we have a good team this week and we can win some games. Go Rebels.

The_shad
October 6th, 2002, 5:35 PM
Notre Dame and CU won. :yes: CSU lost though, but the other 2 won. Notre Dame for the championship this year, baby. :yes: CU for a winning record. :\ :cry: I hate Ochs. :cry:

Dumpy
October 6th, 2002, 8:53 PM
The KSU/CU game on Saturday was one of the best I've ever seen. Damn fine game. And Nebraska won a game! Don't count the Huskers out of the Big 12 title hunt just yet. I think they're going to pull their heads out of their asses and play a lot better the second half of the season. Same goes for Colorado.

hed
October 7th, 2002, 9:16 AM
yeah, I am very glad that Ole Miss pulled off the upset, I hate Florida :) My weekend would have been even nicer if Alabama could've done the same, but they only lost by 2 points, so I can't complain much. That Tennesse game was crazy, 6 OT, I mean, WOW!

MTR
October 7th, 2002, 9:22 AM
I watched some of the Alabama game and I thought Georgia had put them away when they went up by 12. Then Bama came back to take the lead only to lose by 2 in the end. Good game. And I am so on Cloud nine though. Ole Miss upsets Florida and 2-0 in the SEC for the first time since Archie Manning was a senior and the Cardinals are in the NLCS. I think Ole Miss is going to contend for the SEC West but I am not sure we will pull it off though. I am sure we will blow an easy game at some point. We almost always do.

stonecoldfvr
October 7th, 2002, 2:39 PM
Ole Miss and Auburn tied for first. When do we play each other again, Nov. that's right. War Eagle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MTR
October 7th, 2002, 2:42 PM
Should be a good match up between the two but don't forget we both have to play LSU who is higher than us in the rankings and is 1-0 in the SEC. And we both have Bama as well.

stonecoldfvr
October 7th, 2002, 9:20 PM
So very true! Can't wait:)

DAKPluto
October 12th, 2002, 9:24 PM
Wide Right I
Wide Right II
Wide Right III...............Would there be a fourth?

Nope!!!
Wide Left I

That's my Canes!!!!!! (I thought I was going to have a heart attack at the end of that game.)

It's a miracle that Miami won. That ACC officiating crew must have been watching a different game with the calls they made. When even the TV annoucers are saying that your calls suck, you know something is wrong.

maxx powerz
October 12th, 2002, 11:28 PM
At least you won. The officials straight up screwed my Nittany Lions in their game with Michigan. On 3rd and something at midfield, less than two minutes left, Penn State QB Zack Mills CLEARLY completes a pass down the sideline. Two feet in bounds. Not even close. It would give us a first down in field goal range, to win the game in regulation. But the officials call it OUT OF BOUNDS. Now THAT, is a screw job.

stonecoldfvr
October 13th, 2002, 12:09 AM
Oh my God, my team got their ass kicked today. 38-17, Arkansas kicked Auburn's ass. I hope to God, Tommy Tuberville gets fired, let him go back to Mississippi. I mean how fucking stupid can you get. I love my boys, but damn they looked like shit today. Let's leave Daniel Cobb in the game, after he turns over the ball 3 times. Fucking idiot. If Jason would have been in, we would have probally won the damn game, but no, Fucking Daniel Cobb! Jason Campbell is our qb. Not that idiot, Cobb! I was really disappointed by today's events. I swear to God, if Tommy T starts that idiot next week, I'm going to scream. Fucked up coaching. That's what pisses me off the most. We should have ate them up. Oh well, on to next week, speaking of Florida, they looked like shit to. They didn't even show up against LSU. Rex Grossman isn't worth a shit either. God, I hope Auburn bounces back, and kicks their ass next week. Miami won, Yeah! But that was a close one. Oh and of course, damn Michigan, Notre Dame, and South Carolina. Oh and what happened to that awesome Tennessee of this year. Bullshit. Oh well just another great and competive week of college football. Can't wait for next week. I hope Ole Miss stomps Bama's ass. Oh and War Eagle!!!!!

DAKPluto
October 13th, 2002, 1:58 AM
Paragraphs are wonderful things. :p

Dumpy
October 13th, 2002, 3:56 PM
Damn I wanted Miami to lose sooooo bad!! When Chris Rix completed that pass as he was hit near the end of the game, I jumped out of my chair and my head smashed into a light fixture on a ceiling fan. I broke it (the light, not my head).

Texas choked...again...just like I said they would. I'm sorry, but Chris Simms ain't shit. He's never been shit, and he never will be shit. Although I do kind of wish Texas had won so they'd hopefully be undefeated coming into Lincoln in 3 weeks.

Ah, speaking of my Huskers, I think they're slowly removing their heads from their rectums. The offense is still sputtering, but the defense is starting to look like the Blackshirts of old. They held Missouri to something like 16 yards of total offense in the second half and less than 200-some the whole game. That's pretty impressive against a team that racked up 400 some against the mighty Oklahoma defense last week.

The Big Red is not dead, my friends. Mark my words: Nebraska will win the Big 12 North. That's a promise.

No change in my Fiesta Bowl picks. I'm sticking to Oklahoma and Virginia Tech. Miami showed us this week that they are not invincible. Look at how FSU ran the ball against them, then look at those two Hokies they call the Untouchables.

Before I submit this, I want to take a moment to bitch a little about the polls. I think Nebraska's drop in the polls after losing to Penn State was a bit excessive. From 6th to 19th when losing to a ranked opponent on the road? I don't care how lopsided the score was, that's a bit much. Look at Florida, they've gotten spanked 3 times now (2 in a row) and yet they still remain in the top 25.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the human polls are just as screwed up as the dreaded computer polls, maybe more so.

BoSox Rule
October 13th, 2002, 9:54 PM
#1 Miami vs. #12 Florida State was the greatest college football game I have ever seen.

Boston College vs. #4 Virginia Tech was also good.

Dumpy
October 13th, 2002, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by BoSox Rule
#1 Miami vs. #12 Florida State was the greatest college football game I have ever seen.

That's a bold statement, my friend.

DAKPluto
October 13th, 2002, 11:26 PM
I'm a die hard Miami fan, and even I won't say it was the best ever. Even in the Maimi-FSU series there has been better. Like the 92 Orange Bowl. (Wide Right II) That was one hell of a game.

And don't forget some of those old Army-Navy games of old.

The_shad
October 14th, 2002, 1:48 AM
Sweet! Undefeated Notre Dame vs. undefeated Air Force next week. :cool: This is going to be tight. All of my favorite teams won this week (ND, AFA, CU, CSU) and now we have a game of the undefeateds between 2 of them. I dunno about you guys, but I'm rooting for AFA to pull it out. How sweet would that be to have Air Force ranked and possibly one of the only undefeated teams left out there? :drool:

DAKPluto
October 14th, 2002, 2:11 AM
ND will win.

The_shad
October 14th, 2002, 2:12 AM
ND will win.

Probably, but I can dream can't I? Hell, right now I am dreaming about Craig Ochs in a pointy, wooden stake. Bastard wants to go to Montana of all places. :mad:

DAKPluto
October 14th, 2002, 2:43 AM
LOL. You never know. It could be an upset. Unlikely, but possible.

But you have to give Air Force some serious respect. They play up there with the big teams, but they suffer from the Military weight restrictions. The Air Force has caps on the weight (even if it is muscle) so Air Force can't have the 300 pound lineman like big teams. So they deserve tons of respect for doing what they do.

The_shad
October 14th, 2002, 2:50 AM
LOL. You never know. It could be an upset. Unlikely, but possible.

But you have to give Air Force some serious respect. They play up there with the big teams, but they suffer from the Military weight restrictions. The Air Force has caps on the weight (even if it is muscle) so Air Force can't have the 300 pound lineman like big teams. So they deserve tons of respect for doing what they do.

Yea, they do. They really don't have the quality players that other teams have year in, year out, but yet the AFA is still one of the best teams out there now. I really have to give credit to the coach for this. He's really a genius for aking things work out how they are right now. And the AFA will get some MAJOR respect if they can uproot the Irish. Hell, they'll be crowned kings if they just make it close. :yes:

DAKPluto
October 14th, 2002, 3:06 AM
Well, in the battle of coaches, Ty Willingham would win any day. Ty is one of the best college coaches I have ever seen. To finally see him with a top team is great.

Some people talk about how he is now opening the doors for African-American coaches in NCAA Div-A and stuff, but I just respect him for being an excellent Football coach. I was shocked that Notre Dame was the school that picked him up. I really thought Florida should have taken a crack at him instead of Zook. (Glad they didn't though, they might have beaten Miami then :evilgrin: )

MTR
October 16th, 2002, 8:00 PM
Ole Miss made it to both polls this week as we get ready to take on Alabama who is in the ap poll under us this week. This is homecoming for them. I guess we are the chump team the decided to play. Well I hope that we bite them in the ass for that. Eli beat them last year and I know he can do it again. We will have a long road ahead of us. We still have LSU, Auburn, and Georgia to play after Bama this week. Still in the hunt for a SEC West title and possible SEC title.

stonecoldfvr
October 17th, 2002, 1:53 AM
Well sweetie I will admit, if Ole Miss does beat Bama, then Auburn is going to have it really tough! As of right now, Ole Miss and Auburn and maybe LSU and Arkansas are in the hunt. I still say it will come down to my Tigers and Ole Miss. See my problem is, Ole Miss needs to lose this weekend, but I refuse to pull for Alabama and I hope they lay Tyler on his ass this week. It will be a good game, just as Florida and Auburn will be I think! After them both getting their asses beat last week. Games should be good this week oh and GO AIR FORCE! War Eagle!!

DAKPluto
October 20th, 2002, 1:15 AM
Well, only one more test left this year for ND. And it's next week vs. a strong FSU team. If ND plays like they did against AF, they will get killed. BUT, if ND wins, they deserve a BCS bowl, and possibly the Fiesta.

I'll still go with my prediction. Miami vs. ND in the Fiesta.

Anarchy Bunny
October 20th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Nah.

I see Miami losing to Virginia Tech in December.

Oklahoma v. VT would be more appropriate.

MTR
October 20th, 2002, 5:52 PM
Well my Ole Miss Rebels got their asses handed to them yesterday. Alabama is truly a tough team to beat at home and well a tough team for Ole Miss to beat period. 5-2 and 2-1 in the SEC is still good for now though but tough games ahead.

DAKPluto
October 21st, 2002, 12:53 AM

I see Miami losing to Virginia Tech in December.

:lol:

I see VT choking somewhere before Miami.

stonecoldfvr
October 21st, 2002, 3:39 AM
Okay, can I just say one thing I HATE FUCKING TOMMY TUBERVILLE! MTR y'all can have his ass back at Ole Miss! That mf is the reason we didn't beat Florida yesterday! We had that damn game won and we would have won if Jason Campbell had been the quarterback the whole time! Everybody knows that Daniel Cobb sucks, so why but that idiot in? Oh and why go for when your on Florida's 10 yardline? Maybe the team didn't play up to par, but dammit, it all goes back to coaching and TT sucks! I hope they fire his ass after this year! I can't take this shit anymore! I mean I love my boys, win or lose, always will, but damn please get us someone who can coach right! What an idiot! Oh and yeah, Alabama won, dammit! Ole Miss couldn't hold them. Damn Alabama, I hope those sucky Vols gets them. ND won too, lucky bastards. Kentucky won and I love that! Fat ass Lorenz is a great qb! God, I hope we beat LSU next week! WAR FUCKING EAGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maxx powerz
October 21st, 2002, 6:17 AM
After the dsimantling they gave ISU, I can't see Oklahoma losing the rest of the way. Ditto Miami. Notre Dame will probably stay undefeated, but I think the Fiesta Bowl will be Oklahoma versus Miami.

And VT in the Fiesta would be a disgrace to college football. When you play two games a year, and one of them is against Marshall, you do not deserve to play for the title. At least Miami recognizes how piss poor the Big East is with a tough non-conference scheduel. Then again, if you can trick people into thinking you are good without really doing anything, more power to you. I just hope VT doesn't get within sniffing distance of a BCS bowl.

hed
October 21st, 2002, 11:28 AM
w
Originally posted by MTR
Well my Ole Miss Rebels got their asses handed to them yesterday. Alabama is truly a tough team to beat at home and well a tough team for Ole Miss to beat period. 5-2 and 2-1 in the SEC is still good for now though but tough games ahead.
Going into that game, I truly thought Bama was gonna lose. But hey, their defense hasn't played that good in 10 years, LOL.

And who knew Beard would score like 1565367356125 touchdowns :D

MTR
October 21st, 2002, 11:46 AM
Well we have no running game and Bama picked up on it and they were already 12th in the nation on run defense. They just kept going after Eli knowing we were going to pass 9 times out of 10. Bama played great and Beard was great as well. Our defense did not look like the same defense that beat Florida two weeks ago.

hed
October 22nd, 2002, 12:06 PM
Damn Alabama, I hope those sucky Vols gets them.
Well, it will be a good game hopefully...

* prays for Bama *

Oh, and that's a shame about Cadillac Williams, he was a great player. Hopefully, we will see him back next year in good shape...

Dumpy
October 22nd, 2002, 4:26 PM
Settle down, people. If you're feeling frustrated about your team losing, just say this to yourself:

At least we didn't lose to Oklahoma State.

stonecoldfvr
October 23rd, 2002, 2:21 PM
Ha! Ha! about OSU! Oh and Carnell was a damn good player, I'm sure he'll be back next year. We have to pray that Ronnie can do it. He played great the other night!

Anarchy Bunny
October 23rd, 2002, 6:40 PM
I suppose the reason why I can't buy Notre Dame in the National Championship game is because they have no offense.

None.

Zilch.

Nada.

Compared to OU, Miami and VT, they've got their dicks in their hands.

Defense is a whole other thing.

But Miami and OU have that in spades.

Anyway . . .

I'd just like to take this opportunity to poin t out that UVa has won 6 games in a row. Like . . . if something freakish happened and NC State lost 2 games and FSU lost one more, we could feasibly claim the ACC title.

I mean . . . it's basically between us, FSU, and NC State .. .

Not that I see us beating NC State on November 16th.

Which by the way, if any of you are in town for, I'm having a massive party that night.

Whether it's drinking in celebration of toppling NC State's perfect season or drinking because we got our asses handed to us, it'll be a party.

Woo.

maxx powerz
October 23rd, 2002, 11:39 PM
I'd rather see ND in the title game over VTech. VT is the most overrated team in the NCAA today. They are number 3, and why? They beat Marshall, and that's it. They're 25th in the nation strength of scheduel is a complete joke. They play in the weakest major conference, have a weak non-conference scheduel compared to Big east partner Miami, and there's no way to justify ranking them about OSU and even ND. I would say VTech in the Fiesta would be the ultimate joke, but I'm so sure that Miami will beat them by 3 TDs, that luckily I won't have to worry about it.

As for this weekend, look for OSU to drop out of the ranks of the unbeaten. Penn State isn't the best team OSU faces, but match ups give them trouble. OSU need s a lot of points from their passing game to win, which I don't see happening.

And even though the popular pick on SI and ESPN seems to be to have FSU beat ND, I just don't see it happening. I can't stand the way ND wins, but you can't argue with results. And Rix sucks. The sooner FSU comes to terms with that, the better. They need a new QB. ND will force Rix to make somewhere in the vicinity of 5 TOs, and win another dull one, say 14-10.

One more tidbit, if Iowa beats Michigan, OSU, even if they win, could be stuck with an at-large bid for a BCS bowl, despite having a better ranking than Iowa. Since Iowa can basically coast the rest of the way after Michigan, they would tie OSU for first with unblemished Big Ten records. And so since Iowa has gone longer w/o a Rose Bowl berth than OSU, Iowa would go to the Rose Bowl despite being the lower ranked team. That's the kind of stupid stuff that just makes you wish they would create the damn play-off system already.

DAKPluto
October 23rd, 2002, 11:48 PM
Well, I don't think ND is going to beat FSU, but if they do, it will silence all doubts about ND. But I think the FSU defense is going to kill Holiday. The only thing that ND can do is try to get past that BIG FSU offensive line and nail Rix every play. Rix just doesn't preform well on the run.

DAKPluto
October 26th, 2002, 6:38 PM
Well, it looks like the word Underrated doesn't belong with Notre Dame anymore. Major appluase to Notre Dame to shutting up the critics. Once again, proof that Offense puts you in the highlight reels, but Defense wins games.

The_shad
October 26th, 2002, 6:54 PM
Notre Dame does it again. :yes: It's times like this that make me proud to be Catholic. :yes: :lol:

Anarchy Bunny
October 26th, 2002, 8:50 PM
I take back every bad thing I said about ND.

And that's taking back a whole shitload.

They simply just outplayed and owned every single play in that game, it was beautiful.

And in sadder news, my Cavs' winning streak came to a halt today.

:\

Next four games:

Penn St.
NC St.
Maryland
Virginia Tech

Oh yeah. 0-4 baby.

hed
October 28th, 2002, 2:56 PM
Alabama kicked ass, our defense won that game, no question about it. Of course, since we're still on probation that win meant diddly poo in the Coach's poll, but the AP have us ranked 12th!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

stonecoldfvr
October 29th, 2002, 4:23 AM
I saw that shit hed! Damn Bama! I hate them, but I was pretty happy that my boys kicked the shit out of LSU!:) This season is so up in the air, I just hope we can beat Georgia and Bama, oh and I hope we get Ole Miss this week too! ELI SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hed
October 29th, 2002, 6:03 PM
yes, Eli does suck. I hate the whole Manning name for that matter. The thing that sucks the most is, in a couple of years BOTH Mannings will be playing in the NFL.

Anyway, Bama is so gonna kick the crap out of the Tigers, no question about it. Georgia's also going to beat you guys :p

Anarchy Bunny
November 2nd, 2002, 6:47 PM
Notre F'n Dame is gonna get beat by BC

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA

*Thumbs nose at Fightin' Irish Fans*

OU v. Virginia Tech, National Championship Game, be there.

maxx powerz
November 2nd, 2002, 7:26 PM
*does happy dance*

ND, outta here! Wooooooooo! Now, once VT is gone, all the pretenders who haven't faced anyone good will be out of the picture, and either Miami, Oklahoma, OSU or Georgia will be left to play in the title game. And sweetness will prevail.

But the BCS still sucks . . .

BoSox Rule
November 2nd, 2002, 9:11 PM
BC better be in the top 25 after their victory vs. Notre Dame

DAKPluto
November 2nd, 2002, 10:17 PM
BC better be in the top 25 after their victory vs. Notre Dame

:wtf:

Just because they beat ND doesn't mean they should be there. They are 0-3 in the Big East, the only games they have won besides ND is against UCONN, Stanford, Cent. Michigan, and Navy. They haven't earned that right.

If they beat WV next week, then maybe they should be looked at, but not yet.

BoSox Rule
November 2nd, 2002, 11:05 PM
They also came close to beating VT and Pitt. That has to count for something, not nothing.

The_shad
November 2nd, 2002, 11:46 PM
Notre F'n Dame is gonna get beat by BC

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA

*Thumbs nose at Fightin' Irish Fans*

OU v. Virginia Tech, National Championship Game, be there.

I am so slaughtering you in the football plaoffs for that. :mad: Yes, I would happen to be a ND fan... and a CU fan. :grumpy:

DAKPluto
November 2nd, 2002, 11:55 PM
Well Anarchy Bunny, wanna revise that Fiesta Bowl prediction? :D

I state again OU vs. MIAMI

DAKPluto
November 3rd, 2002, 12:29 AM
Well, no doubt about it now. All Miami and OK have to do is win out to go to the Fiesta Bowl. I would say that if any of them lose, Ohio State will take the spot.

Anarchy Bunny
November 3rd, 2002, 12:22 PM

Whoa.

Like not in a million years would I have predicted VT would fall to Pitt.

*Gives hope to AB's Cavaliers*

Ah well.

OU v. Miami it is, if Miami can avoid VT's Suggs and his 200 yards per game.

Which is doubtful, to some extent.

And OU should be number one in the rankings after rolling over CU like they did.

And OU will also triumph if they play Miami. Miami has already played and revealed a pretty big weakness, that Griffin is sure to exploit if/when he gets the chance on Jan 1st.

Anarchy Bunny
November 3rd, 2002, 12:24 PM
They also came close to beating VT and Pitt. That has to count for something, not nothing.

Meh, but they've played a mediocre season at best.

They beat ND, and as Dak pointed out, it makes them 1-3 in the big ten. That's not that impressive.

hed
November 4th, 2002, 12:42 PM
What a loco Saturday for college football!! So many teams getting upset. Hey, who wants to bet that Notre dame will be having a green jersey bonfire this Friday? Hahahahahahahaha!!

Anyway, the Hokies were upset as well as Georgia. My beloved Tide rolled through Vandy 30-8, no suprise there. You know, looking at Bama's schedule for the remainder of the year, I don't think they will lose a game from here on out. Auburn being the only team with a chance to give Bama a run for their money, but I doubt even they will, seeing as how Bama's D is just that damn good :cool: Up next for the A.P. 11th ranked Crimson Tide is Miss St., should be about as close as Vandy was to beating them :D

QuietStorm
November 6th, 2002, 2:52 AM
Does anyone know how much the packages on Charter Communications cost for college basketball and college football? Hell, if you know the cost for any of their sports packages that would be much appreciated. Thanks.

them69
November 8th, 2002, 3:35 PM

I think it'll be OU vs. Miami, as well, but I don't think it's Miami's year again. OU is such a juggernaut, no one can beat them.

DAKPluto
November 9th, 2002, 1:17 AM
Originally posted by them69
I think it'll be OU vs. Miami, as well, but I don't think it's Miami's year again. OU is such a juggernaut, no one can beat them.

Well, Miami I think has the better overall talent. They just need to get off their ass and play like it. But hopefully Tenn. and VT will do that for them. With Beamer ball challenging our run defense and mostly our special teams, it should improve our two weakest areas.

DAKPluto
November 9th, 2002, 8:18 PM
:wtf: Miami vs. OSU...........whasupwitdat?

Who would of ever thought that OU would lose to the Aggies?

Anarchy Bunny
November 9th, 2002, 8:38 PM
TECH JUST FUCKING LOST!!!

BWHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA

them69
November 9th, 2002, 10:05 PM

I really hope it's not that, OSU has still not done very much to impress me this season...Maurice "I should be in the NFL" Clarett keeps getting himself hurt, and Krenzel is just not that good. Their kicking game is ace and their defense is pretty good, bit I think Miami would wreck them. OSU isn't even the best team in the Big 10; that honor goes to Iowa. It's a complete travesty they don't play each other this year, cause I think Iowa would bring them back down to earth.

And oh yeah, YEAH PSU!!!!!! Larry Johnson is a beast.

The_shad
November 9th, 2002, 10:09 PM

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! There are only 2 undefeateds left (I think). If 1 of them lose between now and the BCS championship, Notre Dame might be back in the thick of things. And since OU lost, CU has a much better chance of taking the Big 12! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Best. Week. Ever. C'mon Michigan, take down Miami at the end of ther season...

No offense. :$

DAKPluto
November 9th, 2002, 10:21 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! There are only 2 undefeateds left (I think). If 1 of them lose between now and the BCS championship, Notre Dame might be back in the thick of things. And since OU lost, CU has a much better chance of taking the Big 12! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Best. Week. Ever. C'mon Michigan, take down Miami at the end of ther season...

No offense. :$

Notre Dame doesn't have a bucket's worth of piss chance of going to the Fiesta after that performance against 1-8 Navy. If ND is ranked in the Top 10 tomorrow I'll be suprised.

OU will still win the Big 12, mark my word.

Michigan vs. Maimi :wtf: Michigan has too many losses.......

The_shad
November 9th, 2002, 10:28 PM
Notre Dame doesn't have a bucket's worth of piss chance of going to the Fiesta after that performance against 1-8 Navy. If ND is ranked in the Top 10 tomorrow I'll be suprised.

OU will still win the Big 12, mark my word.

Michigan vs. Maimi :wtf: Michigan has too many losses.......

:cry: You won't even humor me? :cry:

OU won't win, CU will or at the very least, Nebraska. :mad:

And it'll be the last game of the regular season for both I think and I think Michigan still has a chance. CU beat a certain team with only 2 losses and unles Michigan lost this week or losses in the next few weeks, its the same deal. :yes:

them69
November 9th, 2002, 11:48 PM
Michigan is definitely not that good. They'll lose the annual OSU/UMich game by a lot, as usual. They'll get their asses handed to them vs Miami.

The_shad
November 9th, 2002, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by them69
Michigan is definitely not that good. They'll lose the annual OSU/UMich game by a lot, as usual. They'll get their asses handed to them vs Miami.

Is Boston College or Texas A&M that good? Hell, CU lost about 10 straight matches against Nebraska and look what happened!

DAKPluto
November 10th, 2002, 12:34 AM
:cry: You won't even humor me? :cry:

OU won't win, CU will or at the very least, Nebraska. :mad:

And it'll be the last game of the regular season for both I think and I think Michigan still has a chance. CU beat a certain team with only 2 losses and unles Michigan lost this week or losses in the next few weeks, its the same deal. :yes:

There is a million one loss teams this year. And CU got completely ignored last year ;)

Michigan has about the same chances of Pitt going to the Fiesta Bowl.

/me hears a voice say "Nebraska Last Year"

Okay, maybe they do have a chance with the BCS.

The_shad
November 10th, 2002, 12:44 AM
There is a million one loss teams this year. And CU got completely ignored last year ;)

Michigan has about the same chances of Pitt going to the Fiesta Bowl.

* DAKPluto hears a voice say "Nebraska Last Year"

Okay, maybe they do have a chance with the BCS.

??? Um, I'm not saying Michigan is going to the Fiesta Bowl. I'm just saying when they meet Miami in a few weeks, they CAN win. :yes:

stonecoldfvr
November 10th, 2002, 2:55 AM
Miami vs. OSU mark it down, because that is who will play for the Championship, and Miami of course will be repeat champions.:)

DAKPluto
November 10th, 2002, 7:29 AM
??? Um, I'm not saying Michigan is going to the Fiesta Bowl. I'm just saying when they meet Miami in a few weeks, they CAN win. :yes:

:lol: Sure............... :rolleyes:

JoJo the rabid monkey
November 10th, 2002, 9:58 AM
So long to Okie Uni-Versity
So long to the red an white
Hello to the dear old Texas Aggies
They are the boys who show the grand old fight.

Rough Tough Real Stuff TEXAS FUCKING AGRICULTURAL AND MECHANICS!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dumpy
November 10th, 2002, 4:46 PM
Don't forget about those !@#$%^& Texas Longhorns. If either Miami or OSU stumble, they're the highest ranked 1 loss team and could likely sneak into the Fiesta Bowl without even winning the Big XII south. Yeah, yeah, I know, it sounds familiar to me too. Hell, if both Miami and OSU lose, we could have an OU/UT rematch in the Fiesta.

Let the bitching commence.

P.S. I hate Texas

Dumpy
November 10th, 2002, 4:53 PM
By the way, Nebraska can no longer win the Big 12 North. Colorado wins it if they can beat one of either Iowa State or Nebraska. K-State wins it if they beat Nebraska and Missouri and Colorado loses to both ISU and NU. Iowa State wins it if they beat Colorado, K-State loses to Nebraska and Missouri, and Colorado also loses to Nebraska.

There it is, clear as mother's milk.

Steve_Corino_Rulz
November 10th, 2002, 6:13 PM
I'm a huge Iowa State fan and I think Seneca Wallace is great, but he never seems to perform well under pressure against good teams. Against Oklahoma he was 4-20 and only 49 yards and then last night they get smashed by Kansas State who are very talented. Also I want people to consider that if you think the Cyclones suck look at there schedule they beat Nebraska who aren't the team they used to be and then they had to play Texas this year and Oklahoma and then every year they have Colorado and K-State who aren't easy. I just hope there schedule is considered when they give the 'clones a bowl game. Oh and the Iowa Hawkeyes SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!