PDA

View Full Version : 2022 NFL Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

3puppies
February 14th, 2022, 5:35 PM
Now that the 2021 season has ended with Stafford and the Rams winning, a lot of us are ready to begin hoping for the next season. But there are a lot of questions, for most teams. Let's start with a half-dozen:

As the Patriots were the last to have back-to-back SuperBowl victories, is it fair to ask if Stafford and the Rams can repeat?

Will Watson be the QB for the Texans? (recycled question from last year's thread)

Will Russ be the QB for Seattle?

Will Joe Burrow get some help with an improved offensive line?

Will Aaron Rodgers play for anyone other than the Packers?

How will the Jets manage to be the Jets, and mess up their draft? (recycled question from last year)

Percussion
February 14th, 2022, 6:42 PM
Will the Dolphins have a new owner by the end of next season?

Randolph
February 14th, 2022, 7:41 PM
Will all the Washington Commie fans stand or kneel when their new anthem is played at the first home game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BulFwGSi8bc&t=11s

Peter Griffin
February 15th, 2022, 6:51 PM
Sup.

TimeSplitter
February 16th, 2022, 10:00 AM
Vikings to announce Kevin O'Connell as Head Coach tomorrow after the Super Bowl parade today.

Fro
February 16th, 2022, 10:18 AM
As the Patriots were the last to have back-to-back SuperBowl victories, is it fair to ask if Stafford and the Rams can repeat?
It's always fair to ask, but the fact that it hasn't happened in close to 20 years shows you how hard it is to get back to the Super Bowl, let alone repeat.

Will Watson be the QB for the Texans? (recycled question from last year's thread)
No, I think a trade will finally happen this offseason.

Yes.

Yes, they have to prioritize that, and I expect they will, like the Chiefs did the year before.

Yes, I think he'll request a trade, but I've seen a lot of people predicting he will stay.

How will the Jets manage to be the Jets, and mess up their draft? (recycled question from last year)
TBD

Fro
February 16th, 2022, 11:22 AM
I saw an interesting fact.

In the last 45 years, 27 quarterbacks have lost at least one Super Bowl.

Only three have then come back to win one later in their career:
- Tom Brady
- John Elway
- Peyton Manning

There are only 2 additional SB-losing QBs who have even returned to a SB in that span (Jim Kelly x3, Kurt Warner).

This shows you how hard it is to get back to a Super Bowl. Now I will point out that this stat is chosen selectively at 45 years because in the early days, this happened more frequently. In the 60s and 70s, Bob Griese, Roger Staubach and Len Dawson all lost a SB then came back to win one. It became much harder to do so once the free agency era began in 1993 and good teams became more temporary. I expect Patrick Mahomes, Joe Burrow and Russell Wilson have a strong chance to add their names to this list, especially the first two who are so young. But the reality for the Bengals coming off this loss is that it's very hard to get back there.

Kneeneighbor
February 16th, 2022, 4:33 PM
Yes, I think he'll request a trade, but I've seen a lot of people predicting he will stay.

Now that the succubus Shailene is out of the picture there is no doubt in my mind he stays in GB.

PurePlayer
February 16th, 2022, 4:47 PM
Now that the 2021 season has ended with Stafford and the Rams winning, a lot of us are ready to begin hoping for the next season. But there are a lot of questions, for most teams. Let's start with a half-dozen:

All interesting questions. You can throw in who will be the QB of the Saints, Steelers, Panthers, Browns, Commanders, Bucs to name a few. There are going to be so many teams looking for quarterbacks this year. Jimmy G is a good guess for either Steelers, Bucs, or Commanders. I could see Bucs trading for Watson as well.

3puppies
February 16th, 2022, 4:51 PM
Cowboys paid $2.4 million to settle voyeurism allegations from cheerleaders against team executive, per report - CBSSports.com (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cowboys-paid-2-4-million-to-settle-voyeurism-allegations-from-cheerleaders-against-team-executive-per-report/)

Jerry paid out big because one of his execs took nekkid pics of some of the cheerleaders, and also took an upskirt of his daughter.

I don't see anyone trading for DeShaun Watson - his legal issues make him too toxic for even his talent to overcome. Had he settled with his multiple accusers last season and accepted a suspension, it'd be a different story. The Texans no doubt want to get rid of him and move on, but there's a reason they couldn't unload him last year - there's still too much uncertainty around his long-term status.

I agree that Shailene being out of the picture makes it more likely that ARod stays in Green Bay. It gives him the best chance to win.

Rancid_Planet
February 16th, 2022, 5:08 PM
Watson is such an interesting situation.

Yeah teams have a reason to stay away from him. Also he's a tippy top qb in the league. So teams have a reason to talk themselves into Watson.

I really don't know if Russ leaves Seattle. I kind of think he's been voicing his desire to play elsewhere as a way to force the team into doing something about its roster. But we will see. If he does go it ain't gonna be anywhere but a destination city.

Sorry to say this about Burrow but I'll be surprised if he sees another SB with the Bengals. It's the Bengals. They aren't going to spend up to the cap consistently, they play in the most consistently competitive division in the AFC and they have to get by Mahomes, Herbert, Allen, Lamar and the Patriots every year to do it.

I think Burrow becomes this generations Dan Marino.

Rodgers isn't going anywhere.

The Jets still never should have fired Rex lol.

BGMaverick
February 16th, 2022, 5:47 PM
I think Burrow becomes this generations Dan Marino.

Could be the new Andrew Luck if things go really, really wrong.

Rancid_Planet
February 16th, 2022, 5:58 PM
Could be the new Andrew Luck if things go really, really wrong.

Easily. I don't think enough of a big deal is being made out of just how many times he's getting hit. He will NOT be in this league in 5 years if this keeps up. They must protect him better.

Also he needs to do a better job of just coming up throwing in short down situations. He finds himself holding the ball for far too long sometimes.

BGMaverick
February 16th, 2022, 6:24 PM
Saying he could become Marino also feels a little too general. I think it's just going to be luck for those who make it out alive in the AFC going forward. There's Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Burrow, Lamar. It's a murder's row of opponents.

Fro
February 16th, 2022, 6:30 PM
and Mac Jones

BGMaverick
February 16th, 2022, 6:36 PM
and Mac Jones

Factual but not in the same class.

3puppies
February 16th, 2022, 6:43 PM
Maybe not yet. But history shows that the rest of the team matters, and coaching matters. Mac and the Patriots certainly make the case stronger that it will be harder for Burrow to get back to the SuperBowl staying with the Bengals.

Fro
February 17th, 2022, 2:11 AM
Factual but not in the same class.

Mac Jones is in the class of QBs who made the pro bowl their rookie year. Those guys you mentioned are not. One step ahead already.

https://media0.giphy.com/media/nxirvZLP77bXSMSpF1/giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952c11904068f86c9115536c090772e 7e68147cb9e9&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

Edit: got my years mixed up: Lamar and Herbert also achieved this. An esteemed achievement for sure.

Rancid_Planet
February 17th, 2022, 2:51 AM
I have faith in Mac Jones. I think he's patient and accurate and will thrive for years under Bill.

Percussion
February 17th, 2022, 4:21 AM
Genuine boss move t-shirt..

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FLvVS9iVUAEXtI3?format=jpg&name=small

Caito
February 17th, 2022, 5:11 AM
Mac Jones made the Pro Bowl as a backup.

I like the kid but let’s be real here for a bit.

3puppies
February 17th, 2022, 9:49 AM

He also had the best performance in the Pro Bowl. Let's be real here. :)

Fro
February 17th, 2022, 10:15 AM

Mac Jones, Matthew Stafford: equal number of pro bowls.

Caito
February 17th, 2022, 10:16 AM
Both were replacements….

Kdestiny
February 17th, 2022, 2:45 PM
He also had the best performance in the Pro Bowl. Let's be real here. :)

It's not a real game

3puppies
February 17th, 2022, 3:00 PM
The game, nah, but nevertheless, it was a real performance.

Percussion
February 17th, 2022, 3:28 PM
Not really. Have you ever watched the pro bowl?

3puppies
February 17th, 2022, 3:44 PM
Sure. They don't play defense, and its simply a celebration of talent. I get your point. The reason I say performance is because during the game itself, Mac is the guy that got the crowd out of their seats to cheer. And his griddy was by far THE biggest highlight of the day.

Mac is an accurate passer who can read defenses incredibly well for someone at his experience level. He is not the most mobile guy but that probably means he is more durable as he won't be putting himself in position to take a bad hit.

He may not be at the freak athletic level of Mahomes or Lamar, but there's a lot of teams that would love to have a Mac Jones for the next 15+ years.

PurePlayer
February 17th, 2022, 4:22 PM
celebrating someone making the pro bowl as a rookie and as a replacement is very odd especially now where most players opt out and don't even want to play. different times. Making a pro bowl in 2000 is very different than making the pro bowl as a replacement in 2022. Was Mac Jones even the 5th best in the AFC? Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Herbert and Derek Carr at least ahead of him. Lamar Jackson got injured so we can leave him off. You could argue him or Tannehill are 6th.

Percussion
February 17th, 2022, 4:55 PM
Sure. They don't play defense, and its simply a celebration of talent. I get your point.

:yes:

Rancid_Planet
February 17th, 2022, 8:51 PM
I'll put it like this. I think Mac has a high ceiling in terms of what he can figure out. I don't see a kid frozen in the headlights. I see a kid trying to make reads and figure shit out. With practice and a few more weapons he's going to get good, fast, at getting the ball to the right guy. Every time.

That makes him sound like a game manager but his arm talent is above that level as well. He also plays for a good organization that will try their best to help him win.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he winds up with more rings (or just more playoff births) than Burrow because I don't believe in the Bengals as an organization. I like the coach, mostly, but ownership sucks there and we know they don't like to spend money.

3puppies
February 18th, 2022, 12:47 AM
I'll put it like this. I think Mac has a high ceiling in terms of what he can figure out. I don't see a kid frozen in the headlights. I see a kid trying to make reads and figure shit out. With practice and a few more weapons he's going to get good, fast, at getting the ball to the right guy. Every time.

That makes him sound like a game manager but his arm talent is above that level as well. He also plays for a good organization that will try their best to help him win.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he winds up with more rings (or just more playoff births) than Burrow because I don't believe in the Bengals as an organization. I like the coach, mostly, but ownership sucks there and we know they don't like to spend money.

I am a huge Mac Jones fan, and I agree with you completely. The one concern I have is that he won't have Josh McDaniel as OC, but I think Mac has had to deal with OC coaching changes before when at Bama. And I hope the Pats keep Brian Hoyer as backup QB, because I recall reading somewhere that Hoyer very well may become a QB coach somewhere down the road. Hoyer is reportedly very good in the QB room because he's seen a lot, and while he may not have the arm or innate talent that Jones possesses, he is a big help dissecting defenses, specifically what in-game adjustments would work and why.

Rancid_Planet
March 2nd, 2022, 9:03 PM
Looks like McDaniel got the Miami job by convincing them he had a plan for Tua as they will not be pursuing Watson or anybody else at qb.

I think that's a mistake but hey it's the Dolphins

BGMaverick
March 3rd, 2022, 12:04 AM
Looks like McDaniel got the Miami job by convincing them he had a plan for Tua as they will not be pursuing Watson or anybody else at qb.

I think that's a mistake but hey it's the Dolphins

Miami is committed to Tua so I don’t see an issue there. Getting the job likely required buying in on Tua, so selling that doesn’t sound bad on McDaniel’s end. It’s not like San Francisco lit up the scoreboard with bombs. They did it with quick chunk plays and a solid run game. If you feel Tua can work really one quick reaction offense, more power to you. They just have to get more pieces to make it work. Waddle is a hell of a start.

Percussion
March 3rd, 2022, 3:11 AM
Miami is committed to Tua..

I'm assuming that's the mistake Rancid was alluding to..

BGMaverick
March 3rd, 2022, 10:31 AM
I'm assuming that's the mistake Rancid was alluding to..

Which is fair, but I think there's still time before really coming to a decision on that.

Rancid_Planet
March 5th, 2022, 7:44 PM
Earlier, I was debating with someone about the odds of Mac Jones winning a SB. Basically I think its better than 50 percent. He plays for a good team in an average division with a great coach and an organization that knows how to win.

So yeah. Better than 50 percent chance he wins one.

Chances he wins 2 or more? I'd say way less. Like maybe 5 percent chance. The AFC is just so stacked with great qbs right now. They're going to have to share the rings.

But if Mac Jones DID win more than one ring...how fucking UNFAIR would that be?

Especially if somehow, in the next 5 season Mac Jones wins 2 or 3 championships? God I'd go right back to fucking HATING the pats.

Percussion
March 5th, 2022, 9:33 PM
I think putting his odds at over 50% is pretty generous. And that's not really to knock Mac too terribly, just its pretty damn hard to win a SB.

We don't know how close he is to already plateauing, no idea if he'll face injuries moving forward, no idea how long Hoodie will be there, just so many variables. Lots of really good qbs have never got one. Plus the afc is shaping up to be a qb gauntlet for the next decade plus. I'd put good odds - and this is a horribly loose estimate - at something like 15-20%.

Rancid_Planet
March 7th, 2022, 5:47 PM
The Calvin Ridley situation is interesting.

He left the Falcons in late October to deal with mental health issues and has since been found to have gambled around 1500 dollars on 8 different multi leg parlays involving the Falcons winning. No evidence was found that he used any kind of insider info and he claims to not have any kind of gambling problem.

He has been suspended for at least the entire 2022 season.

Percussion
March 7th, 2022, 6:36 PM
I wanna know how the league knew what he was up to..

_me
March 7th, 2022, 6:37 PM
He was probably just using FanDuel

EDIT: I was close. It was the Hard Rock app.

https://twitter.com/BFawkes22/status/1500967393421631492

Percussion
March 7th, 2022, 9:25 PM
Suppose I just gave the dude more credit than that..

Fro
March 8th, 2022, 10:55 AM
I don't fully understand the Patriots' logic in NOT tagging JC Jackson, assuming they don't do so today by the deadline. Pats writers are saying they don't expect him to get tagged. My belief is that even if they don't want him to play on the tag, they could tag and trade him for a solid return.

The Pats do weird shit like this sometimes. In this case, it certainly benefits Jackson to be able to hit the market at age 26. He will get his bag.

3puppies
March 8th, 2022, 12:04 PM
I don't fully understand the Patriots' logic in NOT tagging JC Jackson, assuming they don't do so today by the deadline. Pats writers are saying they don't expect him to get tagged. My belief is that even if they don't want him to play on the tag, they could tag and trade him for a solid return.

The Pats do weird shit like this sometimes. In this case, it certainly benefits Jackson to be able to hit the market at age 26. He will get his bag.

I kind of understand the Pats cutting Kyle Van Noy, even though I think he can still get the job done. Cutting him saves them $5 million in salary cap and they desperately need a #1 WR.

But I agree with you about JC Jackson. I guess the thinking is that If they tag him, he would have to accept the tag tender of $17+ million before they would be able to trade him, which he won't do because he's seeking $20 million and there are likely teams that will pay that to a guy who is tied for the most interceptions in his first 4 years at 25. So if they lose him as an unrestricted FA, at least they get draft compensation in return.

TimeSplitter
March 8th, 2022, 12:36 PM
Rodgers back to Green Bay.

_me
March 8th, 2022, 1:05 PM
4 years 200M. 150M guaranteed is what I read.

Fro
March 8th, 2022, 1:41 PM
Good for him. I would certainly not hate it if the Packers get back to the Super Bowl next year. It would be nice to see Rodgers in it again after an 11 year absence.

TimeSplitter
March 8th, 2022, 2:58 PM
Russ to Broncos. Drew Lock only confirmed part of trade back to Seattle. Multiple Firsts as well.

Fro
March 8th, 2022, 3:02 PM
Wow, monster news there. The Broncos with Russ should be fun. The AFC West gets even stronger.

BigAl
March 8th, 2022, 3:09 PM
Whoa, that's huge. The AFC West is a hell of a division.

Fro
March 8th, 2022, 3:21 PM
Jerry Jeudy and Courtland Sutton's careers will essentially be ON TRIAL next season. Bright lights fellas let's see what you got.

BigAl
March 8th, 2022, 3:58 PM
Drew Lock, Noah Fant, Shelby Harris, two first rounders, two second rounders, and a fifth round pick for Russ and a fourth rounder. Jeez, that's a haul.

Too bad the Colts can't trade Wentz to Seattle for one of those early round picks.

Rancid_Planet
March 8th, 2022, 4:42 PM
Denver is fearsome now. I know the division is competitive but the Broncos have every other piece except for a qb. They will challenge KC for that division.

Tyson
March 8th, 2022, 5:11 PM
4 years 200M. 150M guaranteed is what I read.

Russ to Broncos. Drew Lock only confirmed part of trade back to Seattle. Multiple Firsts as well.

Whoa.

Here’s to the Jimmy G trade market heating up…

3puppies
March 8th, 2022, 5:32 PM
Pittsburgh has to be hoping to get Jimmy G now

Rancid_Planet
March 8th, 2022, 6:15 PM
Pittsburgh has to be hoping to get Jimmy G now

Good locker room guy. Guys love to play with him. He'd be a fantastic fit.

Kneeneighbor
March 9th, 2022, 12:05 PM
Predictions everyone? Who will be the QB on opening day for these teams?

Commanders-
Panthers-
Steelers-
Saints-
Bucs-

_me
March 9th, 2022, 2:50 PM
Wentz for the Commies.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1501630862261108742

BigAl
March 9th, 2022, 3:03 PM
See ya, Wentz. Rumor is the Commanders took on his entire contract as well. Jimmy G to the Colts? Maybe they sign Winston or wait to see what happens with Watson and his legal cases.

_me
March 9th, 2022, 3:16 PM
Wentz reminds of Cousins. When no one is watching, he is OK. But he shrinks anytime the spotlight gets on him.

Tyson
March 9th, 2022, 4:58 PM
Wentz for the Commies.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1501630862261108742

Is that even an upgrade? :lol:

Rancid_Planet
March 9th, 2022, 5:01 PM
Yay another season of Skip Bayless calling him Carson "Wince" now that he's back in the division. I wonder what the Colts plan is. Or if they just wanted Wentz gone and they'll just take whatever they can get at this point. They were absurdly disappointed last season.

Rumor is the Giants want Trubisky.

Because whatever the Jets have is contagious and the Giants have it now.

Percussion
March 9th, 2022, 7:32 PM
Say what you want about Wentz, but he's now been traded in total for his career for..

3 1sts (2016, 17, 22)
2 2nds (2018, 23)
3 3rds (2016, 21, 22)
1 4th (2016)

BigAl
March 9th, 2022, 8:11 PM
Yay another season of Skip Bayless calling him Carson "Wince" now that he's back in the division. I wonder what the Colts plan is. Or if they just wanted Wentz gone and they'll just take whatever they can get at this point. They were absurdly disappointed last season.

Because whatever the Jets have is contagious and the Giants have it now.

Wildcat to JT every snap.

Tyson
March 9th, 2022, 10:38 PM
I wonder what the Colts plan is. Or if they just wanted Wentz gone and they'll just take whatever they can get at this point.

The Colts get two third round picks AND the Washington Football Club take on Wentz’s full salary? They made out like bandits.

Trubisky? Really? If I’m Saquon, I’m not showing up for anything team related this year: trade me, cut me or back up the fucking Brinks truck…

Percussion
March 10th, 2022, 12:08 AM
The Giants would probably love to be able to trade Barkley if they felt they could get much for him..

BGMaverick
March 10th, 2022, 12:13 AM
I semi confident thinking the Colts QB will be Mariotta or Jimmy G.

Random guess: JC Jackson gets signed by the Chargers.

Rancid_Planet
March 10th, 2022, 1:19 AM
I semi confident thinking the Colts QB will be Mariotta or Jimmy G.

Random guess: JC Jackson gets signed by the Chargers.

Oh god please let it be Mariotta. That's toooooo good. Mmmm yummy.

Percussion
March 10th, 2022, 6:25 PM
Bears finalizing deal to send star pass rusher Khalil Mack to Chargers for draft picks (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bears-finalizing-deal-to-send-star-pass-rusher-khalil-mack-to-chargers-for-draft-picks/)

Percussion
March 11th, 2022, 5:55 PM
So Deshaun Watson cleared by the grand jury of all criminal charges.

Let the bidding begin..

3puppies
March 11th, 2022, 6:19 PM
The league will still probably hand him a suspension, but getting Watson for 10 games or more could be big deal for QB needy teams. Carolina is reportedly offering Houston a lot.

Percussion
March 11th, 2022, 6:22 PM
He's under contract through 2025 and he's only 26, a one-time suspension shouldn't mean dick for a team hoping to land a franchise-altering QB..

3puppies
March 11th, 2022, 6:33 PM
Surprised that the headlines didn't read "Watson gets off" with grand jury.

Rancid_Planet
March 11th, 2022, 6:35 PM

Let the bidding begin..

Any chance Houston keeps him? Regardless if he likes it or not?

Percussion
March 11th, 2022, 6:41 PM
Better chance of hell becoming a ski resort..

Rancid_Planet
March 12th, 2022, 3:40 AM
Huge mistake.

I hope the NFC gets him though. How about Arizona doesn't extend Kyler, signs Watson, then Kyler has to find a new team?

Tyson
March 12th, 2022, 5:12 AM

Ugh…

“BuT wHy DoN’t WoMeN jUsT rEpOrT iT??”

So this shithead is going to get a starting spot and millions of dollars this Fall but Ridley sits for a year…fuck the NFL.

Percussion
March 12th, 2022, 5:31 AM
Ridley admitted to his guilt..

Pablo Diablo
March 13th, 2022, 7:24 PM
Brady with the real quick turn around.

Randolph
March 13th, 2022, 7:40 PM
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/gmxyRc0V-iuC1h7k5sFLvUfiWEY=/49x0:590x361/1400x933/filters:focal(49x0:590x361):no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/46194954/RAW_1103_Photo_192.0.0.jpg

Tom Brady circa 2044 after announcing his comeback from his 10th retirement announcement.

Fro
March 13th, 2022, 7:45 PM
I'm glad he's back. Retiring and reversing course so soon is a weird move. I don't understand the logic behind it, I mean why retire when he was so clearly on the fence from the moment he did it? I thought: he was committed to sitting out a year but he knew he had a strong chance of coming back in 2023, and that was why he was being coy.

But oh well, I'm not mad at it, it's just a head scratcher. Onward and upward.

Rancid_Planet
March 13th, 2022, 8:18 PM
I'll join the conspiracy theorists that believe he wanted to go to the 49ers but Tampa told him they won't play ball to get him there.

Doesn't matter though. He was probably 2 in the MVP race last season. Like Peyton Manning said "Play until you suck."

Brady doesn't suck. He had his whole life to sit on the beach in his sandals. Right now he can still go. So why not go?

Tyson
March 14th, 2022, 5:41 PM
Christian Kirk gets 4 years/$72M from the Jags, WR1 money for WR3 production. Cool cool cool.

Rancid_Planet
March 14th, 2022, 8:24 PM
It's the Jags. What they do is they make wrong decisions.

_me
March 14th, 2022, 8:38 PM
It is not even just WR1 money. He will be the 3rd highest paid WR in league.

Rancid_Planet
March 14th, 2022, 8:41 PM

Lol fuck me.

Adams is giving Green Bay the old "not playing on the franchise" tag ultimatum. Lol God the tag sucks.

BGMaverick
March 14th, 2022, 9:41 PM
This is a Chargers fan account.

Tyson
March 14th, 2022, 10:16 PM

:chokes:

I did not realize that…

About Adams, good for him taking a stand like that…”You just gave my shithead diva QB $200M. SHOW ME THE MONEY!”

hithit
March 15th, 2022, 7:58 PM
Lol fuck me.

Adams is giving Green Bay the old "not playing on the franchise" tag ultimatum. Lol God the tag sucks.

They're gonna get it worked out. They didn't bring Rodgers back to let Adams sit/walk.

hithit
March 15th, 2022, 7:59 PM
:chokes:

I did not realize that…

About Adams, good for him taking a stand like that…”You just gave my shithead diva QB $200M. SHOW ME THE MONEY!”

Man, you got a huge hard-on for Rodgers. Not even a conversation about him and you bring him up.

Rancid_Planet
March 15th, 2022, 8:49 PM
They're gonna get it worked out. They didn't bring Rodgers back to let Adams sit/walk.

He ain't sittin either way you know. I hate the tag but it is what it is and he can get paid to play or sit at home for free while the Packers maintain control. I just hate it for the guy.

Old Tire Rod Taylor is going to the Giants.

Percussion
March 15th, 2022, 9:37 PM
This Watson stuff is getting kinda bananas here right now. Bidding war reportedly going on between Carolina, New Orleans, Atlanta, and Cleveland.

Carolina rumored to be offering the best package of picks and players with talk of their 1st this year, next year, and 2024, plus some combination of a couple of either Brian Burns, Jeremy Chinn, Derrick Brown, or Jaycee Horn. Talk right now though it's that Deshaun might prefer Atlanta or New Orleans. Crazy stuff.

3puppies
March 15th, 2022, 11:06 PM
Deshaun trying to figure out which city has the best masseuses? You know, da ones dat keep they damn mouth shut!

hithit
March 15th, 2022, 11:30 PM
He ain't sittin either way you know. I hate the tag but it is what it is and he can get paid to play or sit at home for free while the Packers maintain control. I just hate it for the guy.

Old Tire Rod Taylor is going to the Giants.
Of course I know that. He's gonna get signed before the deadline is over to negotiate with franchised players. The tag was just Green Bays way of locking him in while working to get the money under the cap to sign him.

Rancid_Planet
March 16th, 2022, 4:44 AM
Of course I know that. He's gonna get signed before the deadline is over to negotiate with franchised players. The tag was just Green Bays way of locking him in while working to get the money under the cap to sign him.

Hey is that new contract Rodgers got for 3 years including this past season? Or for the next 3 years? Because I've read contradicting articles saying both.

As for Watson, I just want him in the NFC. The AFC needs less amazing quarterbacks for the Titans to have to get around. Carolina being ACC territory though. He'd be a God.

Fro
March 16th, 2022, 9:40 AM
The Bucs offense had a nice day by signing Russell Gage and trading for Shaq Mason to fill one of their guard spots. That offense should be very potent again in 2022, assuming Chris Godwin is both healthy and under contract. Coming off an ACL/MCL tear could hamper him, and it's possible he won't be ready for week 1, so getting Gage to be their WR2/3 is big.

As for the Patriots end of the Mason deal, I don't like it. Only a late 5th? Cmon man. I don't presume to actually know how good o-linemen are, I mean other than when they give up an obvious QB pressure it's hard to tell by just watching the TV feed. But Mason is well regarded by analysts, to the point where only getting a 5th back for him seems odd. His contract is not an albatross, and while I don't oppose a Belichick decision to move on from a veteran player when he feels it's the right time, the return here is what gets me. A late 5th is practically nothing. How could it be that no team would give up more? According to Spotrac, the Bucs inherit him at a cap hit that puts him 12th in the league among guards. It's a great add for the Bucs, and a head scratching move for the Pats.

hithit
March 16th, 2022, 11:03 AM
Hey is that new contract Rodgers got for 3 years including this past season? Or for the next 3 years? Because I've read contradicting articles saying both.

As for Watson, I just want him in the NFC. The AFC needs less amazing quarterbacks for the Titans to have to get around. Carolina being ACC territory though. He'd be a God.

It is for the next 3 years

Rancid_Planet
March 16th, 2022, 5:08 PM
It is for the next 3 years

You think he'll play the full 3 or is the idea just to make sure he retires a packer?

Rancid_Planet
March 16th, 2022, 5:22 PM
Looks like the Titans are going to release Julio Jones. No surprise as it looks like age has finally caught up to him. He missed half the season with on and off injuries and only caught 31 passes.

Rancid_Planet
March 16th, 2022, 7:52 PM
Von Miller going to Buffalo

hithit
March 16th, 2022, 11:55 PM
You think he'll play the full 3 or is the idea just to make sure he retires a packer?

I legit can't give you an honest answer. I feel like he wants to play into his 40s, as he has said, but I'm not sure if he's gonna do it.

Percussion
March 17th, 2022, 3:19 PM
Looking more and more like Deshaun Watson will be an Atlanta Falcon pretty soon..

Tyson
March 17th, 2022, 3:42 PM
Looking more and more like Deshaun Watson will be an Atlanta Falcon pretty soon..

Gross.

Rancid_Planet
March 17th, 2022, 4:36 PM
So I knew Trubisky had gone to the Steelers. But this whole time I'd been seeing those headlines but not reading the articles and I was thinking "Oh the Steelers have a new back up. How nice." But thats supposed to be their starter huh? Okey dokey.

Percussion
March 17th, 2022, 4:56 PM
Bridge starter with the option to really earn the position outright. And not a terrible option really, given that elite franchise type qbs aren't just falling out of trees.

Question is do they take a Malik Willis or Kenny Pickett type rookie this year or do they just let Trubisky do his thing while they continue to build and see what's available next year is need be.

BGMaverick
March 17th, 2022, 5:07 PM
So I knew Trubisky had gone to the Steelers. But this whole time I'd been seeing those headlines but not reading the articles and I was thinking "Oh the Steelers have a new back up. How nice." But thats supposed to be their starter huh? Okey dokey.

He's definitely a bridge QB like Percussion said, but there's upside there. If he is great, then you've got a little bit of time to maximize things before you rework his deal again and you found a big answer. It's a low-risk move. I'd probably still draft a QB to cover your bases.

Tyson
March 17th, 2022, 5:21 PM
I definitely think that Pittsburgh takes a QB at 20, let him sit for a year and learn the pro game while you make a decision on Trubisky for 2023.

Then go OL at 52 and 84.

Rancid_Planet
March 17th, 2022, 6:55 PM
Baker wants out after the Browns tried to get Watson but since they got turned down they ain't letting him go anywhere lol.

_me
March 17th, 2022, 7:49 PM
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1504601053790195714

Davante Adams to the Las Vegas Raiders.

Tyson
March 17th, 2022, 8:53 PM

Whoa.

hithit
March 17th, 2022, 9:03 PM

Wow, that absolutely baffles me. Can't believe they traded him.

Kdestiny
March 17th, 2022, 9:34 PM
Outrageous

Fro
March 17th, 2022, 9:50 PM
The shocking part is that Rodgers stayed while Adams left. I really thought when Rodgers re-upped that it meant they would work out a deal with Adams. It's like a double surprise. It's surprising Adams didn't want to keep playing with Rodgers and it's surprising Rodgers stayed in GB without knowing that his greatest weapon would be sticking around.

Percussion
March 17th, 2022, 9:58 PM
Only so much money to go around..

Rancid_Planet
March 17th, 2022, 10:12 PM
Fuck me let's send some more great players to the AFC West.

BGMaverick
March 17th, 2022, 10:13 PM
Mentioned it on the chat: As management was mending fences with Rodgers, they were burning bridges with Adams. Initially, they were playing hard ball with the level of extension to offer for him and he didn’t want to deal with it anymore. He’d rather go elsewhere and run the risk of a downtick with everything simply to get away from that front office.

Rodgers will have another year of being pissed off, and I’m presuming GB is hoping that pans out well for his productivity like it has the last two seasons. He’s capable of elevating the talent around him but he’s gotta trust the weapons. That’s going to take some serious work because Lazard and Cobb are the two weapons right now.

Brady is thrilled as it’s likely a two-team race in the NFC now.

The AFC West is stacked. Would love to see three of those teams make the playoffs.

Fro
March 18th, 2022, 12:21 AM
Only so much money to go around..

The packers offered him more money than the raiders, per adams’ agents via rapsheet. So it wasn’t a money thing, seemingly.

_me
March 18th, 2022, 2:36 AM
The packers offered him more money than the raiders, per adams’ agents via rapsheet. So it wasn’t a money thing, seemingly.
I had heard it was the same amount so that is something that he turned down money

Vegas > Green Bay I Guess.

Tyson
March 18th, 2022, 4:37 AM
Davante reunited with his college QB Derek Carr…interesting…

Rancid_Planet
March 18th, 2022, 5:52 AM
Edit.

3puppies
March 18th, 2022, 9:22 AM
Rodgers reportedly knew when he re-signed that DA negotiations were not going well, that DA did not want to play on the franchise tag, and there was a good possibility that they wouldn't be together.

BigAl
March 18th, 2022, 9:34 AM
The Browns QB situation is a mess, between Mayfield saying goodbye to the 'Land, the team not getting Watson, and then Mayfield requesting a trade which was subsequently denied. He's a gamer so I'm sure he'll show up and play but you have to assume his heart won't be in it. He reportedly wants a trade to the Colts, which if they can pull it off for a cheap enough price, I wouldn't mind it.

Fro
March 18th, 2022, 10:01 AM
u remember when brady got his deflategate suspension but prior to taking it he restructured his deal so his salary was under a million bucks so he only lost like $200k? i was happy about it in that case but i bet watson will do the same and if so it's pretty fucked up in this case IMO.

it's a funny thing how these guys can adjust their deals to change the cost of an anticipated suspension. just watch it'll happen with the masseuse raper

Fro
March 18th, 2022, 11:19 AM
The AFC West should definitely be fun, which about a million people have said already, but it's cool to see the offensive skill players listed out. Any of these matchups should be fun on paper.

Carr
Adams
Renfrow
Waller
Jacobs

Mahomes
Hill
Kelce

Wilson
Jeudy
Sutton
Patrick
J Williams

Herbert
Ekeler
Allen
M Williams

Rancid_Planet
March 18th, 2022, 4:05 PM
Word now coming out that Watson prefers...Cleveland?

Per Adam schefter, the Browns have offered him a new 5 year 230 million dollar contract FULLY guaranteed.

3puppies
March 18th, 2022, 4:34 PM
So I guess Baker will get his wish to be traded after all

Fro
March 18th, 2022, 4:40 PM
Browns get: QB Deshaun Watson, 2024 fifth-round pick.

Texans gets: 2022 first-round pick (#13 overall), 2023 first-round pick, 2024 first-round pick, 2023 third-round pick, 2024 fourth-round pick.

So basically 3 firsts and a third. Nice haul for the Texans, but the contract figures are pretty nauseating given the sexual misconduct. Biggest contract ever in terms of guarantees, by a wide margin. The Brows paid out the ass to land him. Watson chose the biggest bag.

Rancid_Planet
March 18th, 2022, 4:56 PM
So who wins the AFC North?

Browns all the way.

Browns
Ravens
Bengals
Steelers

Rancid_Planet
March 18th, 2022, 5:12 PM
BTW this is the best NFL off season ever and the draft hasn't even happened yet.

Fro
March 18th, 2022, 5:16 PM
So who wins the AFC North?

Browns all the way.

Browns
Ravens
Bengals
Steelers

Bengals. I'm not sure the Browns will have a winning record.

Rancid_Planet
March 18th, 2022, 5:22 PM
Bengals. I'm not sure the Browns will have a winning record.

I feel like the Bengals drop off this season. There was a lot of smoke and mirrors in that playoff run and a lot of luck. Close division though. I think the winner goes 10-7.

Watson is the difference maker. 3rd best qb in the league.

BigAl
March 18th, 2022, 5:56 PM
JuJu to the Chiefs.

BGMaverick
March 18th, 2022, 6:08 PM
JuJu to the Chiefs.

Better late than never for him. Based on the deal, I don't think it worked out well for him in terms of value.

Rancid_Planet
March 18th, 2022, 7:40 PM
Titans sign Austin Hooper to a one year prove it deal worth 6 million. I LOVE the move. We need a TE badly and Hoop can block and catch with the best of them, he just didn't fit the Browns offense so they let him go. But again, love the move.

Rancid_Planet
March 18th, 2022, 10:57 PM
John Clayton died

Tyson
March 19th, 2022, 12:58 AM
Word now coming out that Watson prefers...Cleveland?

Per Adam schefter, the Browns have offered him a new 5 year 230 million dollar contract FULLY guaranteed.

Browns get: QB Deshaun Watson, 2024 fifth-round pick.

Texans gets: 2022 first-round pick (#13 overall), 2023 first-round pick, 2024 first-round pick, 2023 third-round pick, 2024 fourth-round pick.

So basically 3 firsts and a third. Nice haul for the Texans, but the contract figures are pretty nauseating given the sexual misconduct. Biggest contract ever in terms of guarantees, by a wide margin. The Brows paid out the ass to land him. Watson chose the biggest bag.

What the actual fuck…I hope the Browns and Watson become spectacular failures in 2022.

Pablo Diablo
March 19th, 2022, 8:37 AM
Become?

Tyson
March 19th, 2022, 11:02 AM
It looked like they, under Stefanski, had finally turned the corner and become competitive, then they go and do something utterly stupid like this.

Give me a return to the 2-3 win seasons and shithead Watson throwing 20+ INTs, please…

Percussion
March 19th, 2022, 2:32 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220318/393cd1e829b12562cab588d23fe175ec.jpg

Rancid_Planet
March 19th, 2022, 4:33 PM
I mean maybe Watson is a sex offender of the highest order/maybe he isnt/maybe probably he's somewhere in between.

This does not change what he can do on a football field and the Browns just won the fucking lotto. There has never ever been a qb this good, this young on the market.

And the civil case is still to be settled right? He may need all that money.

Rancid_Planet
March 19th, 2022, 5:26 PM
Stafford gets his much deserved extension from the Rams. 4 years at 40 mil a year.

Depending on how a few things work out it could SO easily turn into a mini dynasty in LA. The NFC isn't exactly packed with Super Bowl contenders to challenge them.

At the very least it feels like they'll make it back to the sb once in the next 3 years.

Tyson
March 19th, 2022, 9:49 PM
The Rams biggest competition will be getting out of the division, the conference is definitely theirs for the taking.

The AFC, on the other hand, is going to be an absolute war.

Rancid_Planet
March 20th, 2022, 12:55 AM
Speaking of the Rams they have traded wr Robert Woods to the Titans for a 6th rd pick. Great pick up for TN who was in need of a number 2 rec after cutting Julio Jones.

Percussion
March 21st, 2022, 2:31 PM
So Matty Ice to Indy for a 3rd then..

edit: BigAl you sunufuhbitch..

BigAl
March 21st, 2022, 2:31 PM
Matty Ice to the Colts for a 2022 3rd rounder. I'll take it. Not sure how much he has left in the tank but if he wants to shit the bed in a couple years when Arch Manning is ready come out of college I won't be disappointed haha.

Baker to the Falcons is the next domino to fall I assume.

Rancid_Planet
March 21st, 2022, 4:17 PM
Mariota to Atlanta. Reuniting with Arthur Smith.

3puppies
March 21st, 2022, 11:51 PM
I feel like the Bengals drop off this season. There was a lot of smoke and mirrors in that playoff run and a lot of luck. Close division though. I think the winner goes 10-7.

Watson is the difference maker. 3rd best qb in the league.

I think the Bengals got better because they sorely improved their o-line, which was their glaring weakness. Burrow won't take so many sacks, which means he extends more drives. They still have Burrow, and Mr. Clutch as kicker.

Watson will likely be gone for several games, let's call it 6. Plus, he won't have played winning football in more than two years. He will be rusty. What the Browns did for his contract - give him the vet min so whatever he loses in suspension is minimized - is pardon the pun - rubbing people the wrong way. Goodell should find a way to wait until the personal civil suits against him get sorted out - maybe not until 2023 to hit him with the suspension.

Rancid_Planet
March 22nd, 2022, 12:03 AM
Boy is it gonna make you mad when he gets no fine and no suspension as they call it time served

Fro
March 22nd, 2022, 8:18 AM
Boy is it gonna make you mad when he gets no fine and no suspension as they call it time served

That won’t happen

Rancid_Planet
March 22nd, 2022, 5:36 PM
IDK. He wasn't found guilty of anything yet right? But sat for a year?

Percussion
March 22nd, 2022, 7:50 PM
He sat for a year because he didn't want to play. It's comparing apples and monkey wrenches relative to an actual punishment.

Fro
March 22nd, 2022, 8:07 PM
Yea, it's not time served. He was paid his salary.

Rancid_Planet
March 22nd, 2022, 8:10 PM
Hey I think he should Def be dealing some type of punishment. Feels like the NFL has a history of inconsistency with this kind of thng so I'm just worried how it might all play out.

Fro
March 22nd, 2022, 9:04 PM
I predict he will get 8 games. But yea the NFL doles out punishment based on however the public sentiment winds are blowing at any given moment

Percussion
March 23rd, 2022, 12:03 PM
Chiefs granted Tyreek Hill permission to seek a trade (https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/23/tyreek-hill-granted-permission-to-seek-a-trade-jets-and-dolphins-in-talks-with-chiefs/)

Pablo Diablo
March 23rd, 2022, 12:39 PM
And to Miami he comes for a 1st, 2nd, two 4ths and a 6th.

Also a contract extension.

BigAl
March 23rd, 2022, 1:00 PM
Most important question:

How much of a hit does his fantasy value take with Tua under center instead of Mahomes?

Percussion
March 23rd, 2022, 1:22 PM
That is a seriously expensive sports car just to have a governor attached to it..

Fro
March 23rd, 2022, 1:35 PM
Crazy offseason. I love this league.

I can see how the deal makes sense for both sides, but my one question for the Chiefs would be: why not keep him for 1 more season, then tag and trade him? Adams just got a 1st and 2nd while traded on the tag. I'm not sure that the Chiefs got more this year than they would next year, assuming he stays healthy.

Rancid_Planet
March 23rd, 2022, 5:01 PM
That trade is huge within the AFC West. I'm getting closer to saying the Broncos win the division now.

BGMaverick
March 23rd, 2022, 5:09 PM
That trade is huge within the AFC West. I'm getting closer to saying the Broncos win the division now.

My hot take is KC finishes last in their division.

Rancid_Planet
March 23rd, 2022, 5:22 PM
My hot take is KC finishes last in their division.

Right now I'm feeling

Denver
KC
Chargers
Raiders

Hill also just became the highest paid wr ever. His new deal is for 4 years at 120 million.

Rancid_Planet
March 23rd, 2022, 5:25 PM
Malcom Butler, who was infamously benched during a Super Bowl is going back to the Patriots on a two year deal.

Fro
March 23rd, 2022, 5:35 PM
You could also phrase that as Malcolm Butler, who famously made the greatest defensive play in NFL history, is going back to the Patriots

Rancid_Planet
March 23rd, 2022, 5:37 PM
You could also phrase that as Malcolm Butler, who famously made the greatest defensive play in NFL history, is going back to the Patriots

I could also say Malcom Butler, who I miss being on my Titans very much, is going back to NE.

3puppies
March 23rd, 2022, 11:01 PM
I like Malcolm Butler but I liked JC Jackson better.

PurePlayer
March 24th, 2022, 11:57 AM
I could also say Malcom Butler, who I miss being on my Titans very much, is going back to NE.

did he do anything worthwhile on the Titans?

Percussion
March 24th, 2022, 2:05 PM
A Texas Grand Jury Is Considering Another Charge Against Deshaun Watson (https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/24/sports/football/deshaun-watson-texas-grand-jury.html)

Thank the fuckest of all fucks his nonsense is someone else's problem now..

Fro
March 24th, 2022, 3:26 PM
idk how all this grand jury stuff works but proving sexual assault is very hard to do so I doubt Watson will get in criminal trouble despite today's news. Even if the woman in this complaint had proof that he ejaculated on her, it could still come down to a he-said she-said about consent. so just my 2 cents but I don't think this goes anywhere, and he's still just dealing with the civil suit.

Percussion
March 24th, 2022, 3:29 PM
I don't think this necessarily goes any further than the last attempt either, nonetheless I couldn't be happier to have a fresh start void of any and all things related to whatever the dude's been up to..

Rancid_Planet
March 24th, 2022, 11:03 PM
did he do anything worthwhile on the Titans?

He wasn't great but he is getting older. What he was though, was competent and mostly healthy. I cannot say the same thing for his replacement(s) but it was a salary cap thing.

Fro
March 29th, 2022, 1:07 PM
They changed the OT rule for the postseason. Both teams guaranteed a possession. Simple.

A lot of people online are still shouting about this or that, saying it's still unfair or they want a different ruleset. Jeeze louise, there is truly no OT rule that will satisfy people. This is as close as we will get, and I for one think it's perfect. Well done, competition committee.

Fro
March 29th, 2022, 3:13 PM
Interesting debate on the twitter about whether teams will now choose to receive or kick in the new postseason OT rules. The fact that it's arguable proves that the NFL succeeded in making the coin toss less important because now you could theoretically benefit from kicking or receiving. In the current rules let's say 99% of teams choose to receive (there was the rare exception like when Belichick chose to kick off).

My take on the new rule is that receiving will still be the more popular choice but voluntarily kicking could rise to as much as 20-40%. Obviously this is only approved for playoff OT so we won't get a big sample size for many years, but that's where I would project it ending up.

The advantage of receiving is you get the ball for that potential 3rd possession where it is guaranteed to be sudden death. So if both teams score 0, or 3, or 6/7/8 (less likely), then this choice would obviously benefit you.

The advantage of kicking is you have a good chance to win on the 2nd possession and you know exactly what you need to do. There is value in having that information, knowing you need to go for it on 4th downs, knowing if a FG wins it, knowing if you need a 2 pt conversion, etc.

All things being equal, at this moment I'm choosing to receive, but I could be swayed the other way. I'll be excited to see what coaches do. I think this rule opens up a lot of interesting strategy choices for head coaches.

3puppies
March 29th, 2022, 11:41 PM
I think OT strategy will depend on how the game has been flowing, Things like weather/wind, how your team's defense has been playing, how your special teams play, etc. will play a big part in the coach's decision.

Will more teams go for 2 after a TD on the first posession?

Rancid_Planet
March 30th, 2022, 2:22 AM
Love the new rule. I'd like it for the regular season but that's an argument for a later date.

Percussion
March 30th, 2022, 9:18 PM
Todd Bowles to take over as head coach of Tampa Bay Buccaneers, with Bruce Arians stepping into front-office role (https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33632978/bruce-arians-retiring-coach-tampa-bay-buccaneers-move-front-office-role)

Oh wow..

Rancid_Planet
March 30th, 2022, 9:59 PM
Todd Bowles to take over as head coach of Tampa Bay Buccaneers, with Bruce Arians stepping into front-office role (https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33632978/bruce-arians-retiring-coach-tampa-bay-buccaneers-move-front-office-role)

Oh wow..

So Tom Brady new head coach. Not super surprising. I think Tom was out after this year if the locker room didn't get a whole lot more Patriot like.

Tyson
March 31st, 2022, 1:00 AM
Pumped for Todd Bowles, not overly excited for the Brady Retirement tour…so conflicted.

Fro
March 31st, 2022, 1:30 AM
brady firing arians is not surprising, and letting him keep a FO position is the classy way to do it without embarrassing him. brady and leftwich will lose nothing by removing arians from the gameplanning.

Rancid_Planet
March 31st, 2022, 4:43 PM
"No risk it. No biscuit."

Just became

"No risk it. That's it.

Also you were late for film study. You're fired."

Rancid_Planet
April 4th, 2022, 7:58 PM
The Eagles have traded two of their three 1st round picks to the saints.

Saints Get
No 16 pick
No 19 pick
No 194 pick

Eagles get
No 18 pick
No 101 pick
No 237 pick
2023 1st rd pick
2024 2nd round pick.

Essentially meaning that the Saints have two first rounders this year and the Eagles will have two 1st rounders this year and next year.

Percussion
April 4th, 2022, 8:34 PM
Makes me wonder if Philly isn't positioning itself with enough draft capital to make a move next year in a more noteworthy QB class.

Bryce Young and CJ Stroud we know will be there at the front of the class as well as a handful of others worth keeping an eye on as the season progresses.

Rancid_Planet
April 4th, 2022, 11:04 PM
Makes me wonder if Philly isn't positioning itself with enough draft capital to make a move next year in a more noteworthy QB class.

Bryce Young and CJ Stroud we know will be there at the front of the class as well as a handful of others worth keeping an eye on as the season progresses.

I think that would be smart and until then you can let Hurtz continue to show the fan base he doesn't really have the accuracy to win in the post season.

Philly is getting their shit together.

Tyson
April 5th, 2022, 2:18 AM
If one of Willis/Pickett are there at 16, the Saints jump at them right?

Rancid_Planet
April 5th, 2022, 2:21 AM

I would think so but who knows what their plan is internally right?

Percussion
April 5th, 2022, 3:29 AM

No thanks.

Rancid_Planet
April 5th, 2022, 5:06 AM
Part of me wants to see Winston actually just become the guy everyone thought he could be.

Tyson
April 5th, 2022, 5:24 AM
No thanks.

Willis and Pickett aren’t franchise QBs yet, or they’d be firmly entrenched in the top-5, but their upside brings some optimism to the franchise.

If you’re Dennis Allen: your team is in utter cap hell, you’ve got one more year of Tom Brady in your division, you need to consider 2022 a write off. Take Willis or Pickett if they’re there at 16, let them sit and watch for a year while you throw Winston under the bus; come August 2023 hopefully the sophomore is ready to take the starter spot.

In the meantime, maybe the young gun brings a spark of energy back to your stud wideout…

Percussion
April 5th, 2022, 6:07 AM
I completely understand the ray of hope theory. I'm a 20 year long Houston Texans fan. I just wouldn't want the GM of my team to do so in this scenario.

Either you think those guys can be franchise QBs or you don't. And drafting them in the top 15 or so certainly singles that you do.

And I don't think either of those guys are franchise QBs, therefore, no thanks.

Rancid_Planet
April 6th, 2022, 4:49 PM
Diggs signed a massive extension so he'll be with Buffalo well into his prime.

Fro
April 6th, 2022, 5:06 PM
*well past his prime

Caito
April 9th, 2022, 12:09 PM
Dwane Haskins has died

Fro
April 9th, 2022, 12:40 PM
Extremely tragic. RIP.

Percussion
April 9th, 2022, 3:51 PM
I suppose it won't matter in the long run but it would be nicer if the headlines didn't have to necessarily include the words 'dump truck'.

It's tragic enough without the sensationalism.

Rancid_Planet
April 14th, 2022, 5:04 AM
So before it becomes official let's play

WHERE THE FUCK IS BAKER GOING?

I say the Seahawks just because that fan base has to be PISSED right now.

Percussion
April 14th, 2022, 5:40 AM
Detroit.

Idk any kinda actual odds on any particular possible destination..

..but please give me a Dan Campbell/Baker Mayfield-led football team, please.

Caito
April 14th, 2022, 12:17 PM
Seattle

TimeSplitter
April 14th, 2022, 1:31 PM
Detroit.

Idk any kinda actual odds on any particular possible destination..

..but please give me a Dan Campbell/Baker Mayfield-led football team, please.

They already have an expensive Quarterback on roster with Goff. Seattle seems like the most likely. Draft week or after is most likely timeline for a Baker decision.

BGMaverick
April 14th, 2022, 1:33 PM
Seems like he'll go to Seattle, but that may be questionable now since Geno Smith is coming back. Mayfield is SOL for now.

He's set to make roughly $18 million this season. I'm curious if he sniffs an annual salary at that number again in his career.

Rancid_Planet
April 14th, 2022, 4:31 PM
I could see Baker in a lot of places next season. Miami once this season is over and they finally have to admit Tua is not the guy, Detroit once they get out from the money they owe to Goff, the Jets, the Giants, the Colts.

3puppies
April 14th, 2022, 5:09 PM
Oh, I agree that Baker will quite likely be able to last for a few more years as he's a capable QB. But as to whether he will be able to command starting QB salary for many more years is another question entirely. I would guess that his next stop will be Seattle, where he will show just enough to say he's not the reason they go 8-9 next year.

BGMaverick
April 14th, 2022, 5:34 PM
Now that I think about it, the stuff with Murray in Arizona opens a door for a soft hedge in Mayfield if they wanted to go down that road.

Percussion
April 15th, 2022, 3:05 AM
With the draft less than two weeks away now we all surely know who we want, ya?

Gonna take more than a couple draft picks to make chicken salad out of the chicken shit here. That said, gun to my head I'll take..

#3) CB - Ahmad Gardner
#13) ED - Jermaine Johnson

Rancid_Planet
April 15th, 2022, 4:07 PM
I honestly don't know where I want the Titans to focus first. Defensive backfield or offensive line. Honestly either direction is fine so long as we don't strike out.

Percussion
April 15th, 2022, 5:41 PM
Could be a solid cb to be had at that spot - Andrew Booth, Trent McDuffie, Kaiir Elam, or a scheme versatile all around db like Dax Hill.

That's an in between spot for oline, may prefer to trade down a hair. But there could be a couple guys you could get there that could help right away if you just wanna grab em and not worry about 'reaching' - Kenyon Green or Zion Johnson.

Rancid_Planet
April 15th, 2022, 6:29 PM
I'd be FINE with them trading down since they don't have the best luck in the 1st round anyway and more picks might mean better odds.

And now that I really think about it I want a solid oline guy first. Someone who can just come in and start week 1.

Percussion
April 28th, 2022, 4:07 PM
DRAFT DAY BITCHES!!!

Is no one else pumped?

We have a first rounder for the first time in 3 years and only the second time in 5. And its the first time we've had 2 1sts since George W's first term.. yikes.

So ya, I'm ready..

may we please not fucking blow this..

Percussion
April 28th, 2022, 8:11 PM
Lol @ trotting out Raiders players and even Ice Cube to try and not get Goodell booed off the stage..

Randolph
April 28th, 2022, 8:37 PM
Defensive talent is king this year. And the QB class sucks, or at least they aren't getting top grades like they usually do. There seems to be no superstar players this year getting drafted, except Aiden Hutchinson is an all-Michigan man here. The only time the Lions are relevant is draft time.

Percussion
April 28th, 2022, 8:39 PM
Pretty stoked about Stingley.. assuming of course the lisfranc is considered a low grade version.

Randolph
April 28th, 2022, 10:12 PM
What a weird trade by the Titans. Trading a decent WR for an unknown rookie.

Morrison
April 28th, 2022, 10:23 PM
well clearly the titans had no intentions of giving him the deal he was looking for, so might as well get a mid-first pick out of it. sending him off at the trade deadline once the season starts brings it's own potential issues, and after that they'd see him walk away for nothing in return

Fro
April 28th, 2022, 10:24 PM
WR contracts are getting so high that it's a matter of whether you want to devote $25 million/year to him, and if not, when do you maximize your return on him?

That said, I would be curious to see positional salaries as a percentage of the salary cap. We see the dollar numbers... QB contracts obviously go up and up, now WRs seem to be doing it too. But are they going up faster than the salary cap is going up? And if so, which positions are going down proportionally? This kind of analysis probably exists somewhere but I haven't seen it.

Seemingly, WR contracts have taken a jump forward, and we'll see if paying them $25 million/year is a good strategy.

Tyson
April 28th, 2022, 10:25 PM
Great point by the panel about this run on rookie receivers and the potential going forward: if you’re paying your QB ~$40M, you really can’t afford a WR1 making $20M+. These topend kids coming out of college are pro-ready and can produce at a comparable level at a fraction of the price.

Randolph
April 28th, 2022, 10:29 PM
well clearly the titans had no intentions of giving him the deal he was looking for, so might as well get a mid-first pick out of it. sending him off at the trade deadline once the season starts brings it's own potential issues, and after that they'd see him walk away for nothing in return

Didn't know he was on his way out. Must've had a deal prior to the trade to sign a new contract or extension.

Didn't even think about Pittsburgh picking the QB from Pittsurgh. A couple teams are picking local talent in this draft.

BGMaverick
April 29th, 2022, 1:10 AM
Tennessee definitely saw the writing on the wall in relation to paying AJB and decided to take a kid with a similar skill set and pay that rookie a fraction of the price. It’s the economics of the position that teams are going to have to decipher now due to the overflow of skilled wideouts coming into the league.

AJB’s agent is the agent of Metcalf, Deebo, and the recently traded and about to get paid Hollywood Brown. Dandy, the agent, has made good on AJB, so he’s got work to do on the other guys now.

Rancid_Planet
April 29th, 2022, 1:43 AM
What a weird trade by the Titans. Trading a decent WR for an unknown rookie.

I'm fucking PISSED.

Percussion
April 29th, 2022, 2:50 AM
I'm fucking PISSED.

Don't know of course how much you've seen of Burks, but I think anyone who's watched and enjoyed AJ Brown's play would easily be geared to like what they see from Treylon. The kid is put together at 6'2 225 lbs and can get physical when its time to do so. He's also a pretty slick route runner for a guy his size. And one of his biggest attributes is his run after catch that puts him in kind of a Deebo territory. You can line him up wherever and branch a series or more off of looking to get him the ball.

But I'm also completely good with getting Brown out of the division. So, ya..

Fro
April 29th, 2022, 9:39 AM
Hollywood Brown and DeAndre Hopkins should be a good duo in Arizona, coupled with Ertz at tight end. I feel like people are currently down on the Cards since they still haven't gotten out of the wild card round with Murray and seem to fizzle at the end of seasons, but they could pull it together and contend for a deep playoff run.

BGMaverick
April 29th, 2022, 12:07 PM
Don't imagine Rancid_Planet will be happy to hear that AJB said the offer was a lowball offer from the Titans and that he'd stay for $22 million.

PurePlayer
April 29th, 2022, 1:33 PM
Don't know of course how much you've seen of Burks, but I think anyone who's watched and enjoyed AJ Brown's play would easily be geared to like what they see from Treylon. The kid is put together at 6'2 225 lbs and can get physical when its time to do so. He's also a pretty slick route runner for a guy his size. And one of his biggest attributes is his run after catch that puts him in kind of a Deebo territory. You can line him up wherever and branch a series or more off of looking to get him the ball.

But I'm also completely good with getting Brown out of the division. So, ya..

I've been reading Burks route running isn't great and his combine was subpar. Something like no receiver with those metrics was ever considered successful in the NFL whatever that means. As an Eagles fan, I would've taken Burks at 18 if this trade didn't happen. I am super excited AJ Brown is an eagle.

Rancid_Planet
April 30th, 2022, 1:55 AM
Don't imagine Rancid_Planet will be happy to hear that AJB said the offer was a lowball offer from the Titans and that he'd stay for $22 million.

Ohhhh you should HEAR the local sports talk right now in Nashville. Holy shit. I just hate that we didn't seem to take the franchise option as a serious possibility but at this point its done and the only wr we've hit on in the draft since Clinton was president just walked out the door.

Fuck.

Aaaaanyway I actually LOVE our draft so far. Burks isn't faster than anybody who he will be covered by BUT he's the kind of receiver that takes ball. Doesn't catch it. TAKES it. And I like that.

McCreary can and probably will start week one because he can line up outside or in the slot and cover anybody and our defensive backfield sucks right now.

All I know about Petit-Frer is that they say he can challenge for the rt spot right off the bat. Well good because the o-line sucks.

Malik Willis? Yes please. This is the exact kind of qb that Vrable actually wants to run the offense and if Ryan struggles this season expect Willis to play.

Fro
May 2nd, 2022, 12:51 PM
Regarding the Patriots draft, they reached more than any other team in terms of where they drafted guys versus where they were expected to go. I'm not upset about this and I don't scout college players so I wouldn't assume to know whether the guys they selected will be good or not. The Pats had a good draft last year which people seem to forget when they talk about how Belichick has lost his ways as a GM.

My takeaway is that because of the bad value perception, this draft class will be very interesting to track. If these guys stink and most of them are busts, the criticisms of Belichick's selections will be justified and he will be further criticized and that will be fair. If it ends up being a good draft class then it will somewhat prove that draft boards don't mean much and he was right to get the guys he wanted regardless of where he selected them.

Every team's draft gets judged based on how good the players end up being, but this Patriots draft class more so than usual will reflect a lot on Belichick and his methods.

Percussion
May 10th, 2022, 10:52 PM
So Brady has a plan for life after (playing) football after all, heading to fox as their shiny new former franchise qb turned tv analyst. And reportedly to the tune of 10 yrs and $375M. And yes, that final dollar amount is more than he earned throughout his paying career (not counting endorsements, of course).

Fro
May 10th, 2022, 11:29 PM
Legend. In his rookie year he’s going to make twice what Romo is making

Percussion
May 11th, 2022, 12:51 AM
He's gonna make more than Romo and Aikman combined..

Fro
May 11th, 2022, 10:18 AM
It's a lot of money. Brady has a brilliant football mind in terms of understanding the game, but his off-the-cuff speaking abilities and personality aren't all that great (compared to say Romo), so I predict he will get a fair amount of flack when he first starts. Greg Olsen in his 3rd or 4th year as color commentator will probably be better than Brady in his first year, so I can already hear the people saying Olsen should be in the top spot. But in the long run I can see why Brady is the guy you want in the big chair. And I don't expect Brady will half-ass it so I think he'll be good in time but the first year might be shaky as he hones his communication skills.

His absurd salary here likely includes more than just commentating. They are getting Brady and his brand and social media presence to fully promote the Fox NFL product, but on top of that I bet Brady will do various extra stuff (short videos, special segments, etc). Maybe Fox will get the rights to whatever documentary series Brady does next. I'm just guessing here, but I bet Brady fully flexed his media prowess to get this deal, and it will be more all encompassing than what Romo or Aikman provide to their networks.

_me
May 11th, 2022, 11:37 AM
I don't understand the obsession with NFL announcers. I have never watched a game because of the announcers or turned off a game because of the announcers. Half the time I just mute them anyway.

Fro
May 11th, 2022, 11:58 AM
I don't understand the obsession with NFL announcers. I have never watched a game because of the announcers or turned off a game because of the announcers. Half the time I just mute them anyway.

I disagree. This is a product I consume and the announcers affect my enjoyment of the product. While I would never watch or not watch a Patriots game because of announcers, and I would never watch or not watch a marquee out-of-market game because of announcers (e.g. a playoff game or a big MNF/SNF matchup), the announcers matter to some extent. I think the MNF booth has been really bad these last few years and it was very noticeable. A good booth (e.g. Buck and Aikman) will somewhat increase how long I will tune into a mediocre game I'm not otherwise interested in. When you apply this concept to millions of viewers, it would theoretically affect viewership numbers.

Maybe these companies are paying too much for their announces, but given that they're investing billions per year to broadcast NFL games, spending $30-40 million on announcers is a relatively small price to improve the quality of their product and potentially help make TNF, SNF or MNF something that NFL fans tune into regularly regardless of the teams playing. For example people really like the TNT studio show (with Barkley and Shaq) and the studio show itself is a draw which gets a lot of social media engagement, which then helps NBA ratings.

I'm also interested in these moves from a business/strategy perspective, e.g. I find it interesting how Amazon pulled Al Michaels for the TNF show and how ESPN took Buck/Aikman from Fox and how Fox is giving Brady a giant contract. As a fan of the league, I'm interested in this stuff in a similar way that I'm interested in free agency.

_me
May 11th, 2022, 12:06 PM
To each their own. The announcers don't affect my enjoyment at all. I do enjoy the business side as well even though it doesn't matter to me.

3puppies
May 12th, 2022, 12:08 AM
My formative football fan ship years, like many in this country, had me listening to Howard Cosel on Monday Nights. Then John Madden and Pat Summeral started explaining what was happening on Sunday afternoons and my enjoyment skyrocketed. Madden also had the chalkboard for the instant replay review highlights, where he'd often make it clear who made the great block that allowed the running back a free lane, or how he'd show how a receiver juked the defender before turning and getting open enough to make a catch. There's no question that Madden's knowledge of the game, and the way he explained everything, made fans enjoy the experience that much more.

I am old enough to remember the experiment when one of the networks tried having no announcers - just let the referee explain the penalty or situation. That was horrible.

I am a huge fan of Al Michaels and Chris Collinsworth, but a big part of that is the homework they've done ahead of time, interviewing players and coaches during the practise week. They've managed to help sprinkle in some of the stories which can make a lopsided game a more enjoyable experience.

Since I don't play fantasy football, I don't go out of my way to watch any games outside my Patriots, but even then, there are many Pats games where I only listen to them on the radio as I am often still out doing my extreme couponing. So while I can't say that the announcers make a difference in whether I watch, they do make a difference on how much I enjoy the game.

Rancid_Planet
May 12th, 2022, 5:05 PM
Al and Chris are an amazing combo who, I think, will be talked about in 50 years as an iconic duo in NFL broadcast history.

Bandit
May 29th, 2022, 11:07 PM
We're in kind of a dead zone right now where the top stories are QBs sitting out of voluntary workouts like clockwork, but with the Joc Pederson/Tommy Pham drama happening in the MLB, here's a fun NFL question: what's the most dramatic event you have ever witnessed in your fantasy football playing experience?

For me, I was in a work league ~10 years ago where I was friends with like 7-8 of the members and the commissioner invited a couple newer employees to join the league so we would be at 12 players.

We're like halfway thru the season and those two new people are playing each other. We all generally talk trash to each other, but it's always lighthearted and never crosses boundaries. The one newer employee initiates against his opponent in the group chat, saying something light hearted like "whoops, looks like you should've played [bench player with high pts] instead of [starter with low pts]!" and the other new employee replies by saying that he is going to bring his gun to work and shoot the guy. Literally that very week he was fired for anger issues in the office and none of us ever heard from him again.

Rancid_Planet
May 29th, 2022, 11:13 PM
I 100 percent have Joc's back.

We were those motherfuckers.

BigAl
May 30th, 2022, 12:42 PM
We're in kind of a dead zone right now where the top stories are QBs sitting out of voluntary workouts like clockwork, but with the Joc Pederson/Tommy Pham drama happening in the MLB, here's a fun NFL question: what's the most dramatic event you have ever witnessed in your fantasy football playing experience?

For me, I was in a work league ~10 years ago where I was friends with like 7-8 of the members and the commissioner invited a couple newer employees to join the league so we would be at 12 players.

We're like halfway thru the season and those two new people are playing each other. We all generally talk trash to each other, but it's always lighthearted and never crosses boundaries. The one newer employee initiates against his opponent in the group chat, saying something light hearted like "whoops, looks like you should've played [bench player with high pts] instead of [starter with low pts]!" and the other new employee replies by saying that he is going to bring his gun to work and shoot the guy. Literally that very week he was fired for anger issues in the office and none of us ever heard from him again.

10-12 years ago we had a family league amongst the cousins. I think there was a total of 12, maybe 14 of us. One of my cousins had a meltdown after a trade he didn’t think was fair was allowed to stand. Over the top texts in the group text thread we had going, spamming emails through the ESPN fantasy site, and it went downhill from there. Dude became unhinged in the span of like three days. We had to boot him out of the league.

He uninvited the rest of us - except for his brother - from his wedding the following spring. Hasn’t talked to any of us since then as far as I know.

Caito
June 2nd, 2022, 1:01 PM
I am devastated.

3puppies
June 2nd, 2022, 2:46 PM
You're gonna miss FitzMagic?

Caito
June 2nd, 2022, 6:14 PM
So much

Mazer
June 2nd, 2022, 6:21 PM
This should be in the celebrity death thread.

The day Fitzmagic died.

BGMaverick
June 3rd, 2022, 11:19 PM
Fitztragic, Mazer. Reportedly making $82.1 million over his career, do people think Fitzmagic will make more in broadcasting career?

3puppies
June 9th, 2022, 12:20 AM
There's no doubt that Fitzmagic is a really smart, and hardworking guy. If he sets his mind to broadcasting, the sky's the limit.

I was just catching up on the latest Deshaun Watson stuff. Am I the only one wondering if he even steps foot on the field this year? The Browns may have set their franchise behind the 8 ball for years to come.

Percussion
June 9th, 2022, 12:26 AM
I get happier and happier about that trade by the goddamn hour at this point..

3puppies
June 9th, 2022, 9:06 AM
Is the Brown's relationship with Baker completed severed?

_me
June 9th, 2022, 9:33 AM
Nothing a big pile of money can't solve…

Caito
June 9th, 2022, 10:11 AM
Which they don’t want to give him

_me
June 9th, 2022, 11:30 AM
Which they don’t want to give him
Why do you think they don't want to give him it? They have been very quiet on their end about Baker. They are not showing any animosity towards him.

BGMaverick
June 9th, 2022, 11:34 AM
Why do you think they don't want to give him it? They have been very quiet on their end about Baker. They are not showing any animosity towards him.

I won't speak for @Caito (https://forums.rajah.com/member.php?u=20865), but they would've had discussions about giving him an extension if they wanted to. Instead, they did everything they could to get Watson. Animosity comes in different forms. And you can't exactly talk ill of a player you're trying to trade.

_me
June 9th, 2022, 11:36 AM
I am not talking about a long-term contract. I agree that option is dead. I am talking about a "bonus" to play one season and let him become a free agent after the season. Win-win.

Would Baker rather make 40M this year on the Browns and then be able to walk or play for 20M in Carolina?

3puppies
June 9th, 2022, 11:37 AM

I thought they told him to stay away from mandatory minicamp a they don't want any more distractions. They can't unload his salary.

BGMaverick
June 9th, 2022, 11:42 AM
I am not talking about a long-term contract. I agree that option is dead. I am talking about a "bonus" to play one season and let him become a free agent after the season. Win-win.

Would Baker rather make 40M this year on the Browns and then be able to walk or play for 20M in Carolina?

What makes you think they want to pay him that much for a year?

Seems like both parties have cut the cord and they're just trying to find a way to be done with the situation.