PDA

View Full Version : 2021 NFL Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

3puppies
February 9th, 2021, 4:08 PM
Now that the 2020 season has ended with Brady and the Bucs winning, a lot of us are ready to begin hoping for the next season. But there are a lot of questions, for most teams.

As Brady was the last QB to have back-to-back SuperBowl victories, is it fair to ask if Brady and the Bucs can repeat?

Will Watson be the QB for the Texans?

Will Dak get paid?

How will the Jets manage to be the Jets, and mess up their draft?

BGMaverick
February 9th, 2021, 4:11 PM
Now that the 2020 season has ended with Brady and the Bucs winning, a lot of us are ready to begin hoping for the next season. But there are a lot of questions, for most teams.

As Brady was the last QB to have back-to-back SuperBowl victories, is it fair to ask if Brady and the Bucs can repeat?

Will Dak get paid?

Is it fair? Sure. Is it likely? I'm not counting on it.

No.

For one year, yes.

By being the Jets.

Peter Griffin
February 9th, 2021, 7:53 PM
:wave:

Percussion
February 9th, 2021, 8:12 PM

Will Dak get paid?

Be a bit unusual to not ask.

No.

Yes.

Hoping they give a portion of it up for Watson.

Bandit
February 9th, 2021, 10:33 PM
Yeah
Yeah
Yeah
I don't think they will

Fro
February 10th, 2021, 2:28 AM
The Bucs definitely have a chance to repeat but they have some major free agents (Barrett, David, Suh, Godwin, Gronk, AB). I’m especially interested to see what they do with those first 2 names because their defensive prowess depends on them. But they should have a relatively good time in free agency because they’re now a destination team. Come play with the GOAT in warm weather and no income tax. I don’t think they’ll repeat just because repeating is damn near impossible but they’ll be in the playoffs again and they’ll have a shot. Their division should be weaker with Brees retiring and both the Saints and Falcons being in cap trouble, so I peg them as likely NFC South champs.

Watson will be traded. The Texans will fight it but he seems like he really might sit out if not dealt, so they’ll take a hefty ransom to move him.

Idk about Dak. He’ll probably get tagged again right? Then idk, his injury was so unfortunate. The cowboys still want him but the negotiation will be challenging. He might play on the tag again.

Rancid_Planet
February 10th, 2021, 3:18 AM
Gronk will come back and AB has nowhere to go with a trial still looming. I think Godwin goes and gets his big contract though.

Dak plays on the franchise tag again because Jerry has NO IDEA what else he can do. He doesn't want to pay him and doesn't want to let him go.

Fro
February 10th, 2021, 3:39 AM
I did just see a report saying the cowboys want to sign him before the franchise tag period even opens... so maybe they do get it done early.

If I’m Dak I’m definitely considering accepting a lower offer than he would have before the injury.

Chris Scott
February 10th, 2021, 9:58 AM
Watson will end up at Jets
Dak will get paid but at Texans
Jets will probably draft another QB still

TimeSplitter
February 10th, 2021, 10:06 AM
I think if the Jets don't trade for an established QB, they will run it back with Darnold for one more year. See if a new scheme can elevate him. They could draft Sewell or a WR by trading down out of the 2nd pick.

Dak will stay with Cowboys.

Buccs have a shot to repeat. Remember last year when Chris Jones said he'd take less for a chance to repeat, and he got a monster contract a month later? Maybe we shouldn't take what people say post Super Bowl as gospel.

BGMaverick
February 10th, 2021, 4:17 PM
Watson will end up at Jets
Dak will get paid but at Texans
Jets will probably draft another QB still

Not really sure why Houston would want to acquire Dak. They're probably looking to recoup assets for the future to rebuild.

_me
February 10th, 2021, 5:39 PM
How It Started: https://twitter.com/TomBrady/status/1359609074682392578

How It Ended: https://twitter.com/BunkiePerkins/status/1359605407694524417

Brady had a good day today…

Caito
February 10th, 2021, 6:08 PM

Will Dak get paid?

Probably not

Fuck no

I actually think Jerry may throw the bag at him.

J-E-T-E Jets

Chris Scott
February 11th, 2021, 12:27 PM
Not really sure why Houston would want to acquire Dak. They're probably looking to recoup assets for the future to rebuild.

They need a QB after they trade Watson going from my theory.

Chris Scott
February 11th, 2021, 12:28 PM
How It Started: https://twitter.com/TomBrady/status/1359609074682392578

How It Ended: https://twitter.com/BunkiePerkins/status/1359605407694524417

Brady had a good day today…

I’ll admit finding it hard to dislike this guy now he’s left New England. But then I switch on and remember he’s still a cheating smug prick :lol: Good he’s enjoying himself though

Kdestiny
February 11th, 2021, 12:29 PM

I find it highly unlikely that Dallas let's Dak go.

BGMaverick
February 11th, 2021, 12:30 PM

Right but if Watson is gone, they're rebuilding. This isn't a Rams situation where they're all in. They're probably the opposite.

Chris Scott
February 11th, 2021, 12:31 PM
Seen stranger things happen haha. Like all at all this with Wilson blowing up?

Kdestiny
February 11th, 2021, 12:33 PM
I can't see Russ moving either. Not yet.

They will just try and do that Houston didn't.

Chris Scott
February 11th, 2021, 12:34 PM
This is it :D

Watson to Jets
Dak to Texans
Wilson to Cowboys
Seattle draft Zach Wilson

Chris Scott
February 11th, 2021, 12:35 PM
I can't see Russ moving either. Not yet.

They will just try and do that Houston didn't.

Nah I know. Think tone more year out of him but depending on that goes.

Chris Scott
February 11th, 2021, 12:36 PM
Right but if Watson is gone, they're rebuilding. This isn't a Rams situation where they're all in. They're probably the opposite.

Well let’s hopefully think they’ve learnt the lesson of always going in.

Fro
February 11th, 2021, 1:33 PM
I loved all of the clips/pics coming out of the Tampa boat parade yesterday. Awesome stuff, especially the trophy toss and drunk Brady. Very happy for him and for all the other Bucs players. It's a hard group not to root for.

What a photo:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Et5Fu83XYAEOMLZ?format=jpg&name=small

Percussion
February 11th, 2021, 3:14 PM
Whoda thunk..

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Etz54zlWQA4S2Td.jpg:small

PurePlayer
February 11th, 2021, 6:20 PM
is it crazy for Dallas to trade up for a QB and use the Dak money on defensive free agents? The QB on a rookie contract with a win ready team is the biggest weapon in football.

or you could just trust your drafting process on finding defensive players while paying Dak,.

BGMaverick
February 11th, 2021, 6:40 PM
is it crazy for Dallas to trade up for a QB and use the Dak money on defensive free agents? The QB on a rookie contract with a win ready team is the biggest weapon in football.

or you could just trust your drafting process on finding defensive players while paying Dak,.

While logical, that generally goes against type for Jerruh. If he builds a win now roster, he's going to want a shiny toy leading it. They just screwed up* by not taking care of it when the window was there and they'll have to pay for it.

*They also screwed up by overpaying for Zeke.

Bandit
February 11th, 2021, 8:08 PM
What would be crazier, ALL of these QBs play on new teams or ALL of these QBs stay on their current team?

Deshaun Watson
Dak Prescott
Kirk Cousins
Jimmy G
Derek Carr
Tua

Percussion
February 11th, 2021, 8:25 PM
These are my wild ass guesses for the 2021 QB carousel..

Miami - Deshaun Watson
Jacksonville - Trevor Lawrence
San Francisco - Carson Wentz
Indianapolis - Jimmy Garoppolo
New York Jets - Justin Fields
Houston - Zach Wilson
Carolina - Teddy Bridgewater->Trey Lance
Denver - Cam Newton/Drew Lock
New England - Mac Jones
Pittsburgh - Ben Roethlisberger->Sam Darnold
Washington - Tua Tagovailoa
Chicago - Kyle Trask

Teddy opens the season for Carolina while they try and give Lance a redshirt year.
Big Ben takes a farewell tour season while Darnold gets to catch his breath and learn from a sound organization for a season.
Newton and Lock have a QB competition with the implication that Newton has a bit of an advantage out of the gate.

I'll no doubt be wrong about every single one but my goodness the options are through the roof. This could be run back 100% differently with all the seeming reasons in the world.

3puppies
February 12th, 2021, 1:24 AM

Miami - Deshaun Watson
Houston - Zach Wilson
New England - Mac Jones
Chicago - Kyle Trask

Teddy opens the season for Carolina while they try and give Lance a redshirt year.
Big Ben takes a farewell tour season while Darnold gets to catch his breath and learn from a sound organization for a season.
Newton and Lock have a QB competition with the implication that Newton has a bit of an advantage out of the gate.

I'll no doubt be wrong about every single one but my goodness the options are through the roof. This could be run back 100% differently with all the seeming reasons in the world.

It's a nice thought, but Mac Jones won't be around for the Pats. He has the accuracy and decision-making skills to be a winner in the NFL.

Percussion
February 12th, 2021, 1:51 AM
Not sure what your first sentence has to do with the second.

KayBur
February 12th, 2021, 3:39 AM

Miami - Deshaun Watson
Houston - Zach Wilson
New England - Mac Jones
Chicago - Kyle Trask

The more variety, the more interesting the season will be. If there was one clear leader, the result of the season would be 90% predictable, and then what interest would it be to watch the matches?

Caito
February 12th, 2021, 7:52 AM
Think he left a couple words out that while wouldn’t link the two sentences together, would at the very lleast way show why they are not related.

EDIT This was in response to Percussion about 3puppies

Matthew
February 12th, 2021, 9:09 AM
bills superbowl

TimeSplitter
February 12th, 2021, 10:14 AM
I think Trask is not going to be a first round pick. Last year I saw a bunch of mock drafts that had Eason and James Morgan as late first rounders, but they were drafted in the third round. I feel like every year there is a guy who is mocked near the bottom of round one only to plummet in the real draft.

If San Francisco gets a new QB, Jimmy G will be going back to New England.

BigAl
February 12th, 2021, 10:32 AM
Eason is why I’m not too concerned with the Colts getting a long term QB. I hope he pans out to be something good but probably needs another season to develop. If they can get a short term rental for a year or two I’d be happy. Unless they can get Watson - which they have 0.001% chance of pulling off - I think Eason is their future.

3puppies
February 12th, 2021, 11:05 AM
JJ Watt leaving the Texas. https://twitter.com/search?q=%22JJ%20Watt%22&src=trend_click&vertical=trends

TimeSplitter
February 12th, 2021, 11:18 AM
Was expected, but still a surprise. Hopefully he goes to a contender. Maybe Pittsburgh with his brother?

Just watched his video. He is a really good dude. Really don't want him going to Green Bay

Percussion
February 12th, 2021, 12:23 PM
Zero surprise here, was just a matter of when this offseason. Wish we'd gotten something for him at the deadline this last season, but at this point this (dis)organization has built up so much bad will they had no choice but to do the decent thing and outright release him.

Hope maybe I get to see him lift a lombardi..

Fro
February 12th, 2021, 1:14 PM
I think playing with his brother would be very appealing to him, but with their cap crunch I don't know if they'll be able to offer him a lot. Which he might still accept if he thinks they can repeat their success of last year. Personally I don't think Big Ben's Last Stand has a high shot of going to the Super Bowl, mainly because I'm concerned 39 year old Ben will hold up again health-wise.

Percussion
February 12th, 2021, 1:39 PM
Also I absolutely love his comment about getting boo'd on draft night, lol..

It was pretty rough and he's never ever ever forgotten that and it's great that he just couldn't resist mentioning it on his way out.

Bandit
February 12th, 2021, 3:44 PM
Percussions post above gives me a fun idea- we should have a prediction contest but it's "who starts week 1 for each nfl team?" And whoever gets the most right wins

Percussion
February 12th, 2021, 4:07 PM
That was the exact idea behind making the list. Me and buddy made a little futures bet on who get the QB market the most right.

Top shelf bottle of booze on the line for the winner.

Thought I'd share here if anyone else wanted to take a shot. A little contest would be cool.

Percussion
February 12th, 2021, 5:22 PM
Really, who doesn't want all the Drunk Brady they can get..

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1360328334945579009

Bandit
February 12th, 2021, 6:04 PM
Seeing the videos of Brady drunk is the first time I've ever liked him I think lol

Randolph
February 12th, 2021, 9:04 PM
Heard Brady is getting knee surgery because it is pretty messed up. Could've fooled me with the way he played.

Rancid_Planet
February 13th, 2021, 2:12 AM
I think it's just a scope.

Rancid_Planet
February 13th, 2021, 2:12 AM
JJ Watt leaving the Texas. https://twitter.com/search?q=%22JJ%20Watt%22&src=trend_click&vertical=trends

Come on to TN mr Watt...

BGMaverick
February 14th, 2021, 12:01 PM
A Valentine to Houston Texans fans:

Roses are red
Violets are blue
McNair picked Easterby
Over Watson and over you.

Caito
February 14th, 2021, 12:15 PM
That’s so bad it’s good

BigAl
February 18th, 2021, 1:20 PM
Colts get Wentz for a 2021 3rd and a 2022 second that could be a first depending on performance. I like it. I was hoping for Stafford but I’m intrigued by Wentz reuniting with Reich.

BGMaverick
February 18th, 2021, 1:20 PM
Don't hate the deal for Indy/Wentz. Seemed like a match made in heaven. Philly was just trying hard as hell to boost the asking price but that's a reasonable deal for both sides. All in all, Wentz is going to the situation that's probably his best chance for immediate success/turnaround. If not now, when for Wentz.

Fro
February 18th, 2021, 1:33 PM
You blew it by not saying: if not now, Wentz

BGMaverick
February 18th, 2021, 1:36 PM
You blew it by not saying: if not now, Wentz

I didn't, but thank you for your consideration.

TimeSplitter
February 18th, 2021, 2:15 PM
It's a good deal for Indy. If he starts turning it around it will be a low first round pick. They weren't going to get Watson, and I'm sure they were players for Stafford too. They are a good QB from being an incredible team.

BGMaverick
February 18th, 2021, 3:25 PM
I'm curious to see the Philly angle now. To me, they're set to be a poor man's Baltimore with the ability to meet that standard relatively quickly. Hurts is athletic and can work in an RPO offense. He's still got time on his side to adapt as a passer. The timeframe to meet that Baltimore threshold can be cut rather quickly if he develops because Philly certainly has skill position weapons around him that should be very useful.

PurePlayer
February 18th, 2021, 5:07 PM
Good trade for both sides. Eagles will probably get a first next year as long as Wentz doesn't get hurt. Even if the Colts stink and he plays 75% of the snaps, it turns to a first.

Anyway, I want to see what Hurts has this year. Draft a player like Chase and see what happens. If he isn't good then they could use their high draft pick on a QB in 2022. This really is a new look Eagles since the Super Bowl. Once Alshon gets cut and Ertz traded(probably) they will have only a few players left from that team (Graham, Lane Johnson, Brandon Brooks, Kelce, McLeod, Jake Elliot, and Seumalo). New coaching staff, young players, and fresh feel.

BGMaverick
February 18th, 2021, 5:14 PM
Good trade for both sides. Eagles will probably get a first next year as long as Wentz doesn't get hurt. Even if the Colts stink and he plays 75% of the snaps, it turns to a first.

Anyway, I want to see what Hurts has this year. Draft a player like Chase and see what happens. If he isn't good then they could use their high draft pick on a QB in 2022. This really is a new look Eagles since the Super Bowl. Once Alshon gets cut and Ertz traded(probably) they will have only a few players left from that team (Graham, Lane Johnson, Brandon Brooks, Kelce, McLeod, Jake Elliot, and Seumalo). New coaching staff, young players, and fresh feel.

I still hope they find a strength and conditioning coach or get rid of the negative mojo they have in regards to injuries.

PurePlayer
February 18th, 2021, 5:19 PM
I still hope they find a strength and conditioning coach or get rid of the negative mojo they have in regards to injuries.

A new coaching staff and getting younger can help with that, hopefully.

Kneeneighbor
February 19th, 2021, 1:54 PM
I'm curious to see the Philly angle now. To me, they're set to be a poor man's Baltimore with the ability to meet that standard relatively quickly. Hurts is athletic and can work in an RPO offense. He's still got time on his side to adapt as a passer. The timeframe to meet that Baltimore threshold can be cut rather quickly if he develops because Philly certainly has skill position weapons around him that should be very useful.

Sounds like they are taking a QB at 6.

PurePlayer
February 19th, 2021, 1:59 PM

I am not convinced this is the case. Lawrence and Wilson are probably going 1-2. I don't think Fields is that great of a pick without knowing for sure what Hurts has. If they aren't good in 2021 then you can possibly look at a QB, trade, or FA. 2022 cap space is really good now with the Wentz trade.

BGMaverick
February 19th, 2021, 11:51 PM

I don't think that would be smart.

TimeSplitter
February 22nd, 2021, 10:38 AM
They are in a rebuild situation. Why not see what you have in Hurts and then draft a QB next year with your first or the Colts if it jumps up from a 2.

PurePlayer
February 22nd, 2021, 12:29 PM
They are in a rebuild situation. Why not see what you have in Hurts and then draft a QB next year with your first or the Colts if it jumps up from a 2.

exactly. they will probably have two firsts next year and over 75 million in cap space in 2022. You can trade up, trade for, or sign a QB if needed. With the way the team is looking, they will have a top 7 pick again unless Hurts plays out of his mind in which case, you don't need a qb anymore.

Now, if they really love Zach Wilson and the Jets would rather stay with Darnold or something then maybe trade up for someone like him. I am not sold on Fields either.

Fro
February 22nd, 2021, 12:44 PM
The conditional second-rounder in 2022 becomes a first-rounder if Wentz plays 75 percent of the snaps or 70 percent and the team makes the playoffs.

Just out of curiosity I looked up his career snap percentage to see how likely he is to reach the condition in terms of staying healthy.

2020 - 71.59%
2019 - 98.63%
2018 - 66.30 %
2017 - 77.90%
2016 - 99.47%

Morrison
February 22nd, 2021, 12:53 PM
The conditional second-rounder in 2022 becomes a first-rounder if Wentz plays 75 percent of the snaps or 70 percent and the team makes the playoffs.

Just out of curiosity I looked up his career snap percentage to see how likely he is to reach the condition in terms of staying healthy.

2020 - 71.59%
2019 - 98.63%
2018 - 66.30 %
2017 - 77.90%
2016 - 99.47%

barring injury, i don't really see him not hitting the threshold. i don't see the colts benching him unless he's just a complete disaster, which i don't foresee.

3puppies
February 22nd, 2021, 4:46 PM
If the Colts are out of the playoffs, I can see them benching him the last week or two of the season if it means they pay a second instead of a first for him.

PurePlayer
February 22nd, 2021, 5:26 PM
If the Colts are out of the playoffs, I can see them benching him the last week or two of the season if it means they pay a second instead of a first for him.

Even that wouldn't be enough to get him under 75% unless hey misses other games due to injury.

If the Colts don't make the playoffs this year, the Eagles probably got away with a good return anyway considering that is now the second below average year for Wentz.

Bandit
February 22nd, 2021, 6:34 PM
Another thing IND can do... If the game is out of reach - whether because they're winning or losing by a large margin - they can bench Wentz and let a rookie QB they want to develop run a hurry up offense (to increase # of snaps). Doubt any team would go that length, but it's a way to hedge your bets lol

Kneeneighbor
February 24th, 2021, 6:47 PM

THey saw this year with Hurts and learned that there is not as much there as they had hoped for.

Tyson
February 26th, 2021, 12:33 AM
Russ Wilson allegedly wants out of Seattle. Whoa...

Percussion
February 26th, 2021, 12:36 AM
Where's that coming from?

Rancid_Planet
February 26th, 2021, 4:04 AM
Tom Brady has ALL the angry vet qbs wanting out.

BigAl
February 26th, 2021, 8:02 AM
Where's that coming from?

His agent said he doesn’t want out YET but if he did he’d want to go to four teams only:
Dallas
LV
Saints
Bears

Caito
February 26th, 2021, 10:06 AM
Most passive aggressive trade demand I’ve ever seen

BigAl
February 26th, 2021, 10:43 AM
Most passive aggressive trade demand I’ve ever seen

Imagine a breakup going this way. “I don’t want break up with you, but if I do I’ll probably only date these four people.”

Fro
February 26th, 2021, 11:00 AM
Tom Brady has ALL the angry vet qbs wanting out.

yep. I don't know that the rest of them will have such happy outcomes but it's definitely a blueprint of sorts. granted, forcing a trade isn't exactly following the Brady blueprint because then your destination team has to give up huge assets to get you (maybe not just picks but players too). what these guys should do in the future, and what might become more common, would be for the elite QBs to guarantee themselves no franchise tag when their extension is up, thus guaranteeing free agency if they want it. I don't know if the Patriots would have tagged him anyway but Brady's last extension guaranteed him free agency so he was looking ahead to it for over a year before he got to Tampa. if the Brady effect is real, then I could see QBs approaching their extensions differently going forward to put themselves in that position.

PurePlayer
February 26th, 2021, 12:34 PM
His agent said he doesn’t want out YET but if he did he’d want to go to four teams only:
Dallas
LV
Saints
Bears

I understand the Saints because of they are a playoff team every year and have a good coach. I don't get the other teams honestly. Bears and Raiders? why? Dallas has a good offense but they are always a mess.
I feel like Washington would be one of the better places to go to right now. they are a qb away from being a real contender. They have the defense, coaching, offensive line. Just missing that qb and maybe another weapon on offense.

Kdestiny
February 26th, 2021, 12:38 PM
I understand the Saints because of they are a playoff team every year and have a good coach. I don't get the other teams honestly. Bears and Raiders? why? Dallas has a good offense but they are always a mess.
I feel like Washington would be one of the better places to go to right now. they are a qb away from being a real contender. They have the defense, coaching, offensive line. Just missing that qb and maybe another weapon on offense.

Stop

Superbowl for Chicago incoming.

BigAl
February 26th, 2021, 12:42 PM

Dallas, Chicago, and LV all have offensive lines ranked worse than Seattle so if Russ is worried about taking hits those shouldn’t be destinations. If I’m him I’d be looking at the Saints exclusively but maybe they don’t want to part with the pieces and the picks to acquire Russ. It was very strange for his agent to come out and say this.

Percussion
February 26th, 2021, 1:41 PM
This is the top of the Houston Texans hierarchy..

https://twitter.com/MikeSilver/status/1365323680557895687

:facepalm:

Morrison
February 26th, 2021, 9:46 PM
wonder what game he was playing.

Rancid_Planet
February 27th, 2021, 12:59 AM
yep. I don't know that the rest of them will have such happy outcomes but it's definitely a blueprint of sorts. granted, forcing a trade isn't exactly following the Brady blueprint because then your destination team has to give up huge assets to get you (maybe not just picks but players too). what these guys should do in the future, and what might become more common, would be for the elite QBs to guarantee themselves no franchise tag when their extension is up, thus guaranteeing free agency if they want it. I don't know if the Patriots would have tagged him anyway but Brady's last extension guaranteed him free agency so he was looking ahead to it for over a year before he got to Tampa. if the Brady effect is real, then I could see QBs approaching their extensions differently going forward to put themselves in that position.

You know we've seen star qbs leave their longtime team and go elsewhere. But have we ever seen them win a SB? Warner left for Arizona and got there but didnt win. Favre got the Vikings to the nfc champ game. Montana got KC to the playoffs...has it ever happened before?

BigAl
February 27th, 2021, 8:47 AM
You know we've seen star qbs leave their longtime team and go elsewhere. But have we ever seen them win a SB? Warner left for Arizona and got there but didnt win. Favre got the Vikings to the nfc champ game. Montana got KC to the playoffs...has it ever happened before?

Manning in Denver but he was let go.

Dave
February 27th, 2021, 3:23 PM
Brees managed it with the Saints, although does 5 seasons count as long-term?

Rancid_Planet
February 27th, 2021, 11:57 PM
Manning in Denver but he was let go.

But even then I can kind of disqualify my Tenn boy Peyton. He got them to one superbowl and got fucking smashed by Seattle. Sure he won a ring with them 2 years later but he had very little to do with it as his body was totally shot. That defense just needed a qb that wouldn't throw a pick. Brady was clearly the reason that TB got to and then won the big game.

Brees doesn't really count becuse he didn't become Drew fucking Brees until he got to the Saints. Before that people largely thought his career was done.

These are close examples but again, not exactly what Brady has done.

Tyson
February 28th, 2021, 6:44 AM
Was it Dante Culpepper that Sean Payton almost choose over Drew Brees in NO? Or was that just my imagination?

Pablo Diablo
February 28th, 2021, 10:23 AM
Well it's more Miami chose Culpepper over Brees I think.

Rancid_Planet
February 28th, 2021, 6:35 PM
Well it's more Miami chose Culpepper over Brees I think.

Yeah I remember Miami taking a ton of shit for that decision a year later.

TimeSplitter
February 28th, 2021, 7:59 PM
Brees was coming off of shoulder surgery, so I can see where the concern came from, but we are all using hindsight now.

Percussion
March 1st, 2021, 1:57 PM
Don't think anyone saw this coming..

https://twitter.com/JJWatt/status/1366444807258845184

TimeSplitter
March 1st, 2021, 2:03 PM
That was not even on the rumored list of teams. Guess he views them as playoff contenders. I think if Murray takes another leap they will be but the NFC West is tough.

Percussion
March 1st, 2021, 2:05 PM
Safe to say DHop sold him on the whole situation out there. Plus the deal itself is pretty cherry for where JJ is in this twilight of his career.

Percussion
March 1st, 2021, 2:36 PM
..aaannd cue the 'Watson for Kyler' conspiracy trade theories..

3puppies
March 1st, 2021, 7:48 PM
The Cardinals would be nuts to trade Kyler at this point, even for Watson

Tyson
March 2nd, 2021, 1:04 AM
Watt to Arizona is interesting, I thought the Wisconsin boy would go home. That’s a shitload of money for an often-injured dude in his 30s who would probably be best served playing 10-12 downs a game in obvious pass rush situations.

Somewhere, Russ Wilson is throwing a curseless hissyfit right now...

Bandit
March 4th, 2021, 1:45 AM
Everybody wants to go to a superbowl team until an outlier shows up with cold hard cash lol

Fro
March 4th, 2021, 1:55 AM
There was a report that he chose Arizona over other higher offers but who knows if it’s true. I don’t know why people are discounting the cardinals though, they were 8-8 and have their franchise QB, they could easily be in the playoffs this year.

Side note 11 days to legal tampering

Kneeneighbor
March 4th, 2021, 9:55 AM
There was a report that he chose Arizona over other higher offers but who knows if it’s true. I don’t know why people are discounting the cardinals though, they were 8-8 and have their franchise QB, they could easily be in the playoffs this year.

Side note 11 days to legal tampering

I keep bringing this up but they were 4-0 against the NFC East and 4-8 against the rest of the world and a hail marry away from 3-9.

TimeSplitter
March 4th, 2021, 9:56 AM
I think the Cardinals are capable of taking the next step, but that is a tough division to be in. Rams should be contenders again, 49ers will bounce back after the injuries of last year, and the Seahawks are always in it with Russ.

The BIll/Cardinals game was the best of the season with the Hail Mary at the end.

Knee also just made an excellent point.

Fro
March 4th, 2021, 10:30 AM
I keep bringing this up but they were 4-0 against the NFC East and 4-8 against the rest of the world and a hail marry away from 3-9.

meh. people were saying how the Bucs only had 1 win vs a winning team last year. the Cardinals meanwhile had 3 wins vs playoff teams (Seahawks, Bills, WFT).

I don't think there's much value in these "who did your wins come against" stats, especially not year-over-year.

the more telling stat is they finished the season 3-6 after their bye.

BGMaverick
March 4th, 2021, 10:53 AM

The easy reason to discount is there's more questions than answers at the pressure points: Kliff and Kyler. Coach needs to show he can adapt and develop, and Kyler needs to keep showing more. They also need more skill weapons.

Fro
March 4th, 2021, 11:00 AM
sure I just don't think the "he took a bag to go to a trash team even though he said he was going to prioritize winning" reaction to this signing holds water. it is a perfectly reasonable team to sign with.

Percussion
March 4th, 2021, 12:07 PM
He took a bag to play for a coach with a 'player's culture' mentality as likely (strongly) sold to him by Hopkins, which at this stage of his career is probably pretty meaningful.

He also took a bag to play for a team that while perhaps not ready made contender will be by and large competitive week in and week out with some hopeful sings for growth - ie a young rising star qb.

He also also took a bag to go play in a warm weather year round athlete friendly environment for a two-pro athlete household.

I don't think it was any one thing but a totality of pluses that just made sense to him on the whole at his career sunset.

Percussion
March 4th, 2021, 12:58 PM
Ex-NFL player Kellen Winslow II gets 14-year prison sentence for rapes, assaults (https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30997360/ex-nfl-player-kellen-winslow-ii-gets-14-years-prison-sentence-rapes-assaults)

To just read through the charges and convictions here, it's just completely incomprehensible.

Exposure to old(er) ladies while on bond, rape of a homeless woman, sexual assaults galore. What a fuckin maniac.

Fro
March 4th, 2021, 2:13 PM
Big Ben and the Steelers worked out a new contract. I'm happy he'll be back with them for another go-round.

3puppies
March 4th, 2021, 3:36 PM
The Steelers didn't have much choice there. I've never considered myself a huge fan of Big Ben, mostly because he's a rapist, but if I try to focus only on his on-field stuff, he deserves a lot of credit.

As for Kellen Winslow II, sounds like he's a piece of crap, almost as bad as Aaron Hernandez.

Bandit
March 4th, 2021, 5:48 PM
He took a bag to play for a coach with a 'player's culture' mentality as likely (strongly) sold to him by Hopkins, which at this stage of his career is probably pretty meaningful.

He also took a bag to play for a team that while perhaps not ready made contender will be by and large competitive week in and week out with some hopeful sings for growth - ie a young rising star qb.

He also also took a bag to go play in a warm weather year round athlete friendly environment for a two-pro athlete household.

I don't think it was any one thing but a totality of pluses that just made sense to him on the whole at his career sunset.

This makes sense and provides some good perspective beyond the narrative that he just wanted to play for a SB team

Caito
March 4th, 2021, 7:17 PM
Ex-NFL player Kellen Winslow II gets 14-year prison sentence for rapes, assaults (https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30997360/ex-nfl-player-kellen-winslow-ii-gets-14-years-prison-sentence-rapes-assaults)

To just read through the charges and convictions here, it's just completely incomprehensible.

Exposure to old(er) ladies while on bond, rape of a homeless woman, sexual assaults galore. What a fuckin maniac.

I think I speak for most all of us when I say Fuck that guy.

Rancid_Planet
March 4th, 2021, 11:23 PM
I think I speak for most all of us when I say Fuck that guy.

Hopefully that is exactly what happens to him in prison.

BigAl
March 8th, 2021, 8:18 PM
4 years, $160 million for Dak to stay with the Cowboys. $126 million guaranteed.

Fro
March 8th, 2021, 11:43 PM
I’m glad they worked it out. Also this fits in with something I said earlier about QBs working out extensions that guarantee themselves no future franchise tag (like Brady). Dak is guaranteed to hit free agency at age 31 if he so chooses due to the void years on this deal. This helps the team spread the cap hit but also puts Dak in position to choose his fate on his next deal and know in advance that he’ll have that freedom.

Good deal.

BGMaverick
March 9th, 2021, 12:48 AM
And unless the sport hits the shitter, there's going to be a ton more money on the table for everyone in four years.

Rancid_Planet
March 9th, 2021, 1:57 AM
Yeah I mean the truth is that 40 million is going to become a much more standard qb salary over the next few seasons and seeing as how they made Dak play out his whole rookie deal before offering him more, this feels fair in the long run. Also there was nothing else to be done. If Jerry wanted to pay him 34 a year then the time to ink him to that deal was a year or two before his first contract ran out. The market is what it is now. And this is what you have to pay if you don't want to lose your guy.

Now if they could just get a defense going they might win some games.

Tyson
March 9th, 2021, 3:09 AM
Jerry owed Dak that contract, after the way he treated his franchise QB the past two years. I’m glad Dak got paid.

I will absolutely always be on “Team Get Your Money”, whether you’re a NFL QB or Joe/Jill Blow working bullshit job X to get by; the company will knife you in the back at the first available opportunity so you need to get yours. That said, I’m waiting for the franchise QBs to figure out that they can a) break bank or b) leave a little on the table to help build the team around them.

Hey Russ Wilson, you’re bitching about your shitty O-line, maybe only take $20M a year and use that extra $10M+ to pay for 1-2 quality hoggies to help keep you upright. You’ve already made enough money that your kid’s kids will never have to work a day in their life. Does your life really benefit that much more by making $30M per year instead of “only” $20M?

Greed is one hell of a drug, boys.

BGMaverick
March 9th, 2021, 12:39 PM
Godwin gets the tag. Relatively surprising move but not one I didn't anticipate Tampa would make.

I'll be curious to see how the other wideouts fare.

BGMaverick
March 9th, 2021, 1:29 PM
Golladay won't be tagged, which I'm glad he's thanking the heavens for. Interested to see where he goes.

3puppies
March 9th, 2021, 1:30 PM
Jerry owed Dak that contract, after the way he treated his franchise QB the past two years. I’m glad Dak got paid.

I will absolutely always be on “Team Get Your Money”, whether you’re a NFL QB or Joe/Jill Blow working bullshit job X to get by; the company will knife you in the back at the first available opportunity so you need to get yours. That said, I’m waiting for the franchise QBs to figure out that they can a) break bank or b) leave a little on the table to help build the team around them.

Hey Russ Wilson, you’re bitching about your shitty O-line, maybe only take $20M a year and use that extra $10M+ to pay for 1-2 quality hoggies to help keep you upright. You’ve already made enough money that your kid’s kids will never have to work a day in their life. Does your life really benefit that much more by making $30M per year instead of “only” $20M?

Greed is one hell of a drug, boys.

I am really happy for Dak, and agree with this wholeheartedly. As for QB's taking a discount to allow the team to have better support around them, it worked for Tom Brady for much of the time he was in New England, but even then they failed to get him quality receivers at the end.

BGMaverick
March 9th, 2021, 1:36 PM
Hunter Henry won't be tagged, will be heading to free agency.

TimeSplitter
March 9th, 2021, 2:09 PM
The Jets must be pumped that all these receivers are hitting the open market.

Kyle Long is also going to make a comeback. Saw him no the Pat McAfee Show a few weeks ago. Seems like a good guy.

BGMaverick
March 9th, 2021, 3:08 PM
ARob tagged in Chicago. Only the glimmer of hope of Watson or Wilson separates him from freedom or more shit.

Rancid_Planet
March 10th, 2021, 12:53 AM
Malcom Butler's agent says the Titans are going to release him. A move to free up cap space but man I wish we didn't have to do it.

3puppies
March 10th, 2021, 5:00 PM
Trent Brown is coming back to the Patriots, costing them a 5th and a 7th round picks next year. If they can manage to keep free agents Joe Thuney and David Andrews, and Isaiah Wynn stays healthy, they will be solid at the O-line. Even better if they can keep Marcus Cannon, who opted out last year due to Covid. If they hope to get a quality QB who has options, then having a solid line helps their position, but they still need weapons to target.

BGMaverick
March 10th, 2021, 7:14 PM
Trent Brown is coming back to the Patriots, costing them a 5th and a 7th round picks next year. If they can manage to keep free agents Joe Thuney and David Andrews, and Isaiah Wynn stays healthy, they will be solid at the O-line. Even better if they can keep Marcus Cannon, who opted out last year due to Covid. If they hope to get a quality QB who has options, then having a solid line helps their position, but they still need weapons to target.

Don't say the first part of that last sentence too loud where Fro can hear it.

TimeSplitter
March 11th, 2021, 11:13 AM
Chiefs cut both stating tackles. Both missed the Super Bowl and the team was beat up by Tampa. These cuts are crazy this week. I want to see people argue about "Player X should play the deal he signed" when teams can cut players whenever they want too.

Kneeneighbor
March 11th, 2021, 11:21 AM
I want to see people argue that teams should not cut guys when players are not honoring the deal they signed.

Fro
March 11th, 2021, 2:08 PM
I don't want to see anyone argue

3puppies
March 11th, 2021, 9:39 PM
I want more players to demand higher guarantees in their contracts, so this won't happen (as much). Shitty organizations like the Jets deserve to lose players like Jamal Adams last year. For now, I am supporting DeShaun Watson's request to be traded, because the Texans are f'd up.

Percussion
March 11th, 2021, 10:07 PM
If the f'd up Texans can get a haul like the shitty Jets org did for Adams but even greater relative to Watson being a young, just hitting his prime legit franchise QB then I'll be thrilled.

Rancid_Planet
March 12th, 2021, 12:18 AM
If I had to bet on the Watson deal, I'd bet the Texans don't budge this year and neither does he and Watson sits out the entire year before ownership finally gets it.

Kdestiny
March 12th, 2021, 1:15 AM
If I had to bet on the Watson deal, I'd bet the Texans don't budge this year and neither does he and Watson sits out the entire year before ownership finally gets it.

That's where I lean

TimeSplitter
March 12th, 2021, 9:51 AM
Cam Newton re-signs with Pats. Close to 14 million

3puppies
March 12th, 2021, 10:39 AM
The Pats got a better deal on him last year. I hope he's that much better this year (and they get him some offensive weapons to work with)

Fro
March 12th, 2021, 10:54 AM
I like this deal. I mean we don't know the details yet but it's reportedly incentive laden with a max value of $14 million. I would rather trade for Jimmy G but he doesn't seem to be available at the moment. Bringing back Cam is better than signing another low-cost veteran QB IMO. Maybe Cam is your starter but they draft a guy in the first or second round to be the next up (this seems most likely). Maybe Jimmy becomes available and you try to acquire him.

If the Pats get some good pass catchers then we should see a better Cam this year, and he really wasn't as big of a step down from 2019 Brady as people think (don't forget how bad the Pats offense was in 2019 with Brady and Edelman playing all year). So yea I like the move. And it's funny seeing many Pats fans and media members weeping on twitter right now at yet another unpopular Bill Belichick roster decision that is probably actually smart.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EwOr2ahUUAIHVWE?format=jpg&name=small

Caito
March 12th, 2021, 11:42 AM
I’m in full out meltdown mode.

BGMaverick
March 12th, 2021, 12:36 PM
Maybe Jimmy becomes available and you try to acquire him.

He might be, but I'm inclined to think they're looking to find a better backup because you clearly need one if he's your starting QB.

Fro
March 12th, 2021, 1:11 PM
If I understand this correctly... Brady's cap hit was supposed to be about $28 million. Schefter says the extension lowed it by $19 million, so Brady will have a 2021 cap hit of about $9 million.

That's wild if true. Bucs are going to be a wagon.

TimeSplitter
March 12th, 2021, 3:00 PM
If the cap is expected to go up once the TV deals are announced after this year, look for everyone to go to Tampa on a one year deal.

BigAl
March 12th, 2021, 3:01 PM
If Brady did lower his cap hit in an effort to bring more talent to Tampa, good on him.

Rancid_Planet
March 12th, 2021, 3:31 PM
I like this deal. I mean we don't know the details yet but it's reportedly incentive laden with a max value of $14 million. I would rather trade for Jimmy G but he doesn't seem to be available at the moment. Bringing back Cam is better than signing another low-cost veteran QB IMO. Maybe Cam is your starter but they draft a guy in the first or second round to be the next up (this seems most likely). Maybe Jimmy becomes available and you try to acquire him.

If the Pats get some good pass catchers then we should see a better Cam this year, and he really wasn't as big of a step down from 2019 Brady as people think (don't forget how bad the Pats offense was in 2019 with Brady and Edelman playing all year). So yea I like the move. And it's funny seeing many Pats fans and media members weeping on twitter right now at yet another unpopular Bill Belichick roster decision that is probably actually smart.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EwOr2ahUUAIHVWE?format=jpg&name=small

Kinda leaves out Brady's 24 td 8 int to Cam's 8 tds and 10 int.

But I think this is a good move for everyone. The patriots wont be AS weaponless this season and Cam can still play I feel. He wont ever be the guy that he was in his MVP year but I think he can win games still.

Fro
March 12th, 2021, 3:46 PM
Kinda leaves out Brady's 24 td 8 int to Cam's 8 tds and 10 int.

But I think this is a good move for everyone. The patriots wont be AS weaponless this season and Cam can still play I feel. He wont ever be the guy that he was in his MVP year but I think he can win games still.

I agree but when you include rushing scores it's not as lopsided:

Brady had 27 TDs (passing plus rushing) in 2019 in 17 games (1.59 per game). Cam had 20 TDs in 2020 in 15 games (1.33 per game).

But look I'm not saying Cam was as good as Brady. Those passing stats (like yards/attempt) are also skewed because the Pats were a losing team in 2020 so they had more garbage yards. However I just don't think Cam was as awful as people think, and the Patriots anemic offense heading into the 2019 playoff loss to TN was bad, really bad. Brady feasted in the first 5 weeks of 2019 (99 passer rating) and struggled mightily in the last 12 games (83 rating in the final 11 regular season games, 59 rating in their playoff loss).

It was a tough situation for even the goat to make work, and there wasn't a lot of year-over-year turnaround on the roster.

Rancid_Planet
March 12th, 2021, 3:51 PM
Nah I dont think he was that bad either. He just had NOTHING to work with. If anything Cam proved he can still play in this league. He just can't drag 2 guys 20 yards into the end zone anymore.

Fro
March 12th, 2021, 3:53 PM
Now people will say Cam looked bad in 2020 (eye ball test), missing a lot of throws. And that's fair. He also went to a new team, arguably the most complex offense in the NFL to learn, and had no offseason program or preseason. I think he will improve. Also this is a one year deal and I'm expecting them to draft someone if they don't trade for Jimmy (which has maybe a 5% chance of happening).

I saw a report that the Patriots did kick the tires on Jimmy but the Niners aren't making him available now (maybe later if things change) so the Pats made this move to retain Cam.

Rancid_Planet
March 12th, 2021, 3:55 PM
I'm unsold on Jimmy. Plus he has the monster contract. If I'm a pats fan I think I'd want a new kid on a rookie deal so I can spend my money elsewhere.

Fro
March 12th, 2021, 3:57 PM
Jimmy is damn good when he plays but he's injury prone. Staying on the field is his problem.

But yea I'm all for drafting someone and sitting him behind Cam until he's ready or until Cam stinks enough to lose the job.

Rancid_Planet
March 13th, 2021, 12:51 AM
Looks like KC is gonna restructure the Mahomes deal to free up some money for this year. Brady as well.

God there is so much of that going around rn.

Tyson
March 13th, 2021, 3:16 AM
I'm unsold on Jimmy. Plus he has the monster contract. If I'm a pats fan I think I'd want a new kid on a rookie deal so I can spend my money elsewhere.

This, all of it. And I’m a Niners non-Jimmy G fan. I would love to be able to find the next franchise QB in the first 32 one of these years.

Looks like KC is gonna restructure the Mahomes deal to free up some money for this year. Brady as well.

God there is so much of that going around rn.

When are the elite QBs going to learn that, in a cap NFL, you can’t ask for $30M+ (~20% of the cap for 1/53rd of the roster) and expect the organization to be able to build a solid team around you.

At some point you, as an NFL starting QB, have to take a long hard look in the mirror and realize that “I’ve already made enough money to provide for my children’s children, how much more do I really need?”. Maybe take $20M a year (spoiler alert: that is still a shitload of money), use the $10M-$15M that you could potentially get to add another 3-4 quality pieces around you? And I say this as somebody usually on Team “Go Get Yours”. Figure it out.

BGMaverick
March 14th, 2021, 6:00 PM
Man, the Packers are quite dumb.

Fro
March 14th, 2021, 6:30 PM
Man, the Packers are quite dumb.

Why

MMH
March 14th, 2021, 7:05 PM
Drew Brees has officially retired. :cry:

What a man. Going to be very weird watching us with a new QB even if we saw glimpses of what it would be like the past two seasons.

We cant be going with Taysom Hill surely? I mean I love Hill but his effectiveness is more to do with the fact that he doesn't play every down at QB and he can do a bit of everything.

BGMaverick
March 14th, 2021, 7:42 PM
Why

Let's see...

- A stubborn philosophical belief forced them to pay more for a RB (the tag could have been cheaper).
- The picks of Love and now Dillon are officially depreciating. I imagine there could have been 1-2 picks that proved to be more impactful in the short term and potentially the long term.
- The money they spent on Jones certainly opens the door on pricing them out of free agent options on the outside that would help Rodgers and they'll likely now follow their status quo of having him make the best of the hand he's been dealt and they'll use their assets on other parts of the team.

Drew Brees has officially retired. :cry:

What a man. Going to be very weird watching us with a new QB even if we saw glimpses of what it would be like the past two seasons.

We cant be going with Taysom Hill surely? I mean I love Hill but his effectiveness is more to do with the fact that he doesn't play every down at QB and he can do a bit of everything.

Unless he's priced out, I presume Winston is their starter.

Bandit
March 15th, 2021, 1:57 AM
Let's see...

- A stubborn philosophical belief forced them to pay more for a RB (the tag could have been cheaper).
- The picks of Love and now Dillon are officially depreciating. I imagine there could have been 1-2 picks that proved to be more impactful in the short term and potentially the long term.
- The money they spent on Jones certainly opens the door on pricing them out of free agent options on the outside that would help Rodgers and they'll likely now follow their status quo of having him make the best of the hand he's been dealt and they'll use their assets on other parts of the team.

Jamaal Williams has had 150+ touches the last two years. With him leaving, Dillon still plays a valuable role regardless of Jones' presence, and their very different styles potentially makes the offense better than it was with Jones/Williams.

Additionally, from what I read, Jones actual yearly average is closer to 9.5 mil per year that can reach 12m per year based on incentives. Considering there were rumors he received an offer at the beginning of 2020 that would have paid him more than Dalvin cook and he had turned it down, I think it's a great signing.

If they were to let a star player go just because they spent a second round draft pick on another player at the same position, THAT would be dumb.

MMH
March 15th, 2021, 4:33 AM
Let's see...

I'm not to sure about that, we had him last season and we went with Hill instead when Brees was out. He barely played.

I mean we could try and get Mac Jones or someone like that in the first round. Hard to tel as there are loads of moving pieces at QB this year.

BGMaverick
March 15th, 2021, 9:24 AM
Jamaal Williams has had 150+ touches the last two years. With him leaving, Dillon still plays a valuable role regardless of Jones' presence, and their very different styles potentially makes the offense better than it was with Jones/Williams.

Additionally, from what I read, Jones actual yearly average is closer to 9.5 mil per year that can reach 12m per year based on incentives. Considering there were rumors he received an offer at the beginning of 2020 that would have paid him more than Dalvin cook and he had turned it down, I think it's a great signing.

If they were to let a star player go just because they spent a second round draft pick on another player at the same position, THAT would be dumb.

While he showed some flashes, Dillon needs to show he can be a reliable pass catcher in order to make good on replacing those touches and not overworking Jones.

I have no problem with his signing in relation to him. It's good for the position and for him. It just seems like a misallocation of resources that could get worse over time.

I'm not to sure about that, we had him last season and we went with Hill instead when Brees was out. He barely played.

I mean we could try and get Mac Jones or someone like that in the first round. Hard to tel as there are loads of moving pieces at QB this year.

I tend to think he's lack of PT was due to not being fully acclimated to the new system. I would think they wouldn't invest in him if they don't think he can handle it. At worst, there would be a healthy competition in camp. That said, find someone in life that loves you as much as Payton loves Hill.

Feels like they'd have to trade up or he would be falling rather far if Jones was a target.

Fro
March 15th, 2021, 9:51 AM
While he showed some flashes, Dillon needs to show he can be a reliable pass catcher in order to make good on replacing those touches and not overworking Jones.

I have no problem with his signing in relation to him. It's good for the position and for him. It just seems like a misallocation of resources that could get worse over time.

Get worse over time in what sense? I don't know all of the details but if I'm reading correctly that only his $13 million signing bonus is expected to be guaranteed, then that is a relative bargain compared to Zeke getting $50 million, Kamara at $33 mil and Henry getting $25.5 million. I don't think Jones is as good as those guys mind you, but that low guarantee is probably the result of a cheap COVID deal. The risk here doesn't seem very high.

MMH
March 15th, 2021, 10:09 AM
I tend to think he's lack of PT was due to not being fully acclimated to the new system. I would think they wouldn't invest in him if they don't think he can handle it. At worst, there would be a healthy competition in camp. That said, find someone in life that loves you as much as Payton loves Hill.

Feels like they'd have to trade up or he would be falling rather far if Jones was a target.

It didn't stop Bridgewater playing a bunch of games the year before. I guess we would bring Winston back if nobody else comes in for him. We all love Hill as the gadget player. As a full time QB not so much (he's not terrible as such or anything).

I don't know with Jones. Most people seem to have him down as the 5th best QB prospect in mock drafts, I could easily see him falling to pick 28. Would make sense too as he is Brees type of player, very rarely gives the ball away and a bit of a statue which is OK with our O-Line.

Kdestiny
March 15th, 2021, 10:24 AM
No way Mac Jones goes past 20

BGMaverick
March 15th, 2021, 11:14 AM
Get worse over time in what sense? I don't know all of the details but if I'm reading correctly that only his $13 million signing bonus is expected to be guaranteed, then that is a relative bargain compared to Zeke getting $50 million, Kamara at $33 mil and Henry getting $25.5 million. I don't think Jones is as good as those guys mind you, but that low guarantee is probably the result of a cheap COVID deal. The risk here doesn't seem very high.

Again, really didn't have a problem with the deal for Jones himself because I'm about guys getting their money. The narrative can now change that Dillon was drafted to be the main backup to Jones. Is that really worth a second-round pick though? They used their first two picks, including moving up for the first one, on players that barely saw the field and only one has a path to seeing it right now. That doesn't strike me as a smart philosophy when you're a team that just came off losing in the championship game and then retroactively saw your QB win the MVP. If you're a team that's that close and probably closer to a win-now mindset versus the alternative, I don't think those were smart selections and could really cost them.

BGMaverick
March 15th, 2021, 11:17 AM
I don't know with Jones. Most people seem to have him down as the 5th best QB prospect in mock drafts, I could easily see him falling to pick 28. .

I would happily take that bet because I think he's gone before that.

Fro
March 15th, 2021, 1:33 PM
So the Bucs have already now kept Godwin, Shaq Barrett and Lavonte David (the big news being today's Barrett signing). They are really running it back as Bruce Arians drunkenly yelled at them during the parade presentation. Gronk should be an easy signing, and I imagine AB will stay put as well since he loves Brady. These guys are the easy Super Bowl favorites right now in my view, ahead of the Chiefs.

The Patriots got Jonnu. Yay.

Rancid_Planet
March 15th, 2021, 3:44 PM
I love Jonnu. Enjoy his amazingness...and the one really stupid thing he does every game.

BGMaverick
March 15th, 2021, 3:50 PM
At least Cam has a very large target to throw to. Will the ball get there? Tune in to find out.

MMH
March 15th, 2021, 7:03 PM
So the Bucs have already now kept Godwin, Shaq Barrett and Lavonte David (the big news being today's Barrett signing). They are really running it back as Bruce Arians drunkenly yelled at them during the parade presentation. Gronk should be an easy signing, and I imagine AB will stay put as well since he loves Brady. These guys are the easy Super Bowl favorites right now in my view, ahead of the Chiefs.

The Patriots got Jonnu. Yay.

They are not even the best team in their division.

Well last year anyway, they probably will be next year...

Rancid_Planet
March 15th, 2021, 10:23 PM
The Titans to bring in Bud Dupree from Pitt at 16 mil a year. I love Bud but that's a risk with his torn ACL last season. But if it goes well it could be huge for our pass rushless defense. We have Simmons in the middle getting doubled on every snap. With an effective edge rusher suddenly they can't double Simmons and now we get to the qb either from the edge or up the middle. Also Bud can play down lineman in nickle which he will need to do in our defense.

Not the best move they could have made but at least they made a move to improve our biggest weakness along with bringing in Autry who should help at least a little.

Also the Jets keep on being the jets and sign former Titan Corey Davis at wr. Always a good idea to sign a guy who has one productive season under his belt that just happened to be his contract year.

BGMaverick
March 15th, 2021, 10:54 PM
Also the Jets keep on being the jets and sign former Titan Corey Davis at wr. Always a good idea to sign a guy who has one productive season under his belt that just happened to be his contract year.

No disputing the argument here but I don't hate their trio. Mims looks like he's going to be a player, Crowder is obviously a skilled possession receiver, and Davis is the critical component. He's clearly better next to a true alpha but it's put up or shut up time for him now. Obviously there's a larger problem because there's a massive question in regards to who their QB is going to be.

Rancid_Planet
March 15th, 2021, 10:58 PM
I mean he didnt do shit until AJ Brown started becoming a known force and even then he fell off mightily at the end of the year. But hey I hope he does well and the Jets didn't just waste a ton of money on him. He obviously can get 1000 yards a year under the right conditions.

BGMaverick
March 15th, 2021, 11:10 PM
I mean he didnt do shit until AJ Brown started becoming a known force and even then he fell off mightily at the end of the year. But hey I hope he does well and the Jets didn't just waste a ton of money on him. He obviously can get 1000 yards a year under the right conditions.

We're just talking to talk at this point lol because there's no disagreement. If the offense actually get a suitable QB and RB, the odds seem relatively favorable that he could look good. I imagine the offense is going to be run-heavy and PA-friendly, which bodes well for him. He's got talent but he clearly needs a lot of support to work in his direction to get results. We'll see if he gets it.

BGMaverick
March 15th, 2021, 11:15 PM
Fitzpatrick going to Washington as the initial option as the starter is a great short-term choice. They needed something to unlock the conservative nature of the offense and he's absolutely going to do that. With a stout defense poised to be there, they got more interesting in a hurry.

Fro
March 16th, 2021, 1:08 AM
They are not even the best team in their division.

Well last year anyway, they probably will be next year...

I hate to break it to you but the Buccaneers were the best team in the NFC South in 2020. They were in fact the best team in the NFL. Even if you put the Super Bowl title aside, they went 15-5 and the Saints went 13-5.

Gronk signs for 1 year, $10 million. AB next?

There’s a chance AB could not want to be WR3 anymore. that would certainly be understandable, even aside from the fact that another team could offer him more money. I still give it a 65% chance he stays put despite no deal on day 1.

Fro
March 16th, 2021, 1:12 AM
I’m very happy with the pats signings today. They went in and reloaded. It seems like they reached to get Agholor and Bourne but I’ll wait on the contract specifics before calling it an overpay. Even if they overpaid I’m happy to have those guys on board.

Rancid_Planet
March 16th, 2021, 1:54 AM
Doesnt AB still have a looming charge and a courtdate? I bet nobody makes him a good offer.

KayBur
March 16th, 2021, 3:27 AM
I’m very happy with the pats signings today. They went in and reloaded. It seems like they reached to get Agholor and Bourne but I’ll wait on the contract specifics before calling it an overpay. Even if they overpaid I’m happy to have those guys on board.

Considering the past transfers, the upcoming season promises to be interesting and eventful. It seems to me that surprises may await us.

TimeSplitter
March 16th, 2021, 8:01 AM
Dalvin Tomlinson and Nick Vigil sign with my Vikings. With Pierce opting back in the DT position is not a liability this year. Vigil should help with depth and the probably loss of Eric Wilson. Now we just need to get another pass rusher or two with Danielle Hunter not happy.

TimeSplitter
March 16th, 2021, 10:39 AM
Now the Pats strike again with Hunter Henry. Wow.

Fro
March 16th, 2021, 10:41 AM
So the Pats signed Hunter Henry, too. Double dipped to get the top 2 tight ends on the market. And the streets are saying they're not done yet...

Granted some of what they're not done with could be dealing Stephon Gilmore. I hope they work out a contract restructure to keep him. A #1 CB is so valuable.

Also I'm still hoping they re-sign their center David Andrews. That would solidify a potentially great o-line.

BigAl
March 16th, 2021, 12:01 PM
Someone on Reddit said Belichek is doing some retail therapy after seeing his ex flourishing with someone else and I can’t stop laughing.

Percussion
March 16th, 2021, 2:49 PM
Brady says he's giving his phone number out to fans..

https://twitter.com/TomBrady/status/1371486902503813126

Morrison
March 16th, 2021, 5:11 PM

bunch of celebs and influencers have been doing this over the last couple of months. obvs not their real/primary cell numbers, that way they can ignore it when they want and it's also not attached to anything like their personal cloud storage or anything.

Kdestiny
March 16th, 2021, 5:12 PM
Bears aiming for last place.

Andy Dalton? After all that?

TimeSplitter
March 16th, 2021, 5:15 PM
Tyrod Taylor to the Texans. A good bridge QB if they decide to trade Watson.

Fro
March 16th, 2021, 5:22 PM

I just called him but he didn't pick up and his voicemail is full. WTF

Rancid_Planet
March 16th, 2021, 6:32 PM
Titans just released Adoree Jackson and Dennis Kelly. Jackson is a huge surprise because they also released Malcom Butler last week so thats both corners. The titans are under cap and Kelly was due 5 million, Jackson 10 million.

I think a big move is coming.

And now they've signed Janoris "I used the R word" Jenkins. A vet corner that wont command nearly all the cap room that the Titans just cleared. So why did they clear that much room?

Hmmm. More to come maybe.

BigAl
March 17th, 2021, 1:50 PM
AJ Green to the Cardinals on a one year deal with $6 million guaranteed. Good move to get Kyler another receiver he can trust.

BGMaverick
March 17th, 2021, 2:09 PM
AJ Green to the Cardinals on a one year deal with $6 million guaranteed. Good move to get Kyler another receiver he can trust.

He didn't look very good last season with a lot of targets that went his way. Burrow wasn't totally great with the throws with a bad OL but that's only part of them blame so the rest needs to go to him. Either he was sandbagging or he's dust.

Percussion
March 17th, 2021, 5:09 PM
As if the Deshaun Watson drama wasn't enough already..

Fro
March 17th, 2021, 5:54 PM
As if the Deshaun Watson drama wasn't enough already..

The allegations? They seem like bullshit to me. I don't necessarily buy into the conspiracy that the Texans are behind them and that the McNairs have a relationship with the attorney (neighbors?), but it's possible. Either way this attorney using social media to call attention to it is very suspect and unprofessional. And he is clearly at least a big Texans fan. If his clients are truly victims, he is doing them no favors by posting updates on instagram and making this a publicity fest. He seems like a sleezeball.

This is what they often do to successful black men in America who don't fall in line.

Kneeneighbor
March 17th, 2021, 7:02 PM
This is what they do when men rub the tip of their dick on women who didn't want it to happen.

Rancid_Planet
March 17th, 2021, 7:02 PM
Overall I like what the Titans have done with Free Agency. The only big loss on offense was Johnnu Smith and its not like he was a top 5 TE. I couldnt care less about losing Cory Davis. On defense our two top corners are gone with Butler and Jackson getting released. But theyve resigned Jayon Brown to a one year prove it deal and brought in Bud Dupree from the Steelers which should be YUGE, Denico Autry (who killed us playing for the Colts last year) so the D line and pass rush just got a major overhaul and thats been the weak link for years with this team.

They also brought in Janoris Jenkins and Kendall Lamm to plug up some holes and with 4 of the first 100 picks the Titans can add a lot via the draft as well.

I hate to see the defensive backfield get worse, which it has, but if the pass rush as is as good as it looks like it might be then I have no problem here. The Titans might be even better next year that they've been the last 2.

BGMaverick
March 17th, 2021, 7:38 PM
Overall I like what the Titans have done with Free Agency. The only big loss on offense was Johnnu Smith and its not like he was a top 5 TE. I couldnt care less about losing Cory Davis. On defense our two top corners are gone with Butler and Jackson getting released. But theyve resigned Jayon Brown to a one year prove it deal and brought in Bud Dupree from the Steelers which should be YUGE, Denico Autry (who killed us playing for the Colts last year) so the D line and pass rush just got a major overhaul and thats been the weak link for years with this team.

They also brought in Janoris Jenkins and Kendall Lamm to plug up some holes and with 4 of the first 100 picks the Titans can add a lot via the draft as well.

I hate to see the defensive backfield get worse, which it has, but if the pass rush as is as good as it looks like it might be then I have no problem here. The Titans might be even better next year that they've been the last 2.

This is under the premise I get it is a run-first offense but...no concern about losing the OC and what is behind AJB on the outside?

Rancid_Planet
March 17th, 2021, 9:05 PM
This is under the premise I get it is a run-first offense but...no concern about losing the OC and what is behind AJB on the outside?

I just dont know about Arthur Smith. He pretty much just ran from the playbook that the previous OC had run. So I don't know how much credit to give him really. Could be that we stink it up with a new OC so I do have my concerns.

And I mean I'll be honest. I don't think there was much behind AJB late into the season last year. And yet he was still getting open and getting mad yac just like he always does. My only concern is that GM J Rob is probably going to have to try and draft a number 2 WR and we all know how difficult it can be to hit on a reciever in the draft.

If it comes down to losing some offense in order to gain a pass rush though, I'll take that deal. I have a true number 1 wr, a 2000 yd rb, and a qb that's automatic in the red zone. We'll score enough to win if we can just have even an average defense instead of this league worst shit.

They can find another Davis in the draft. I mean they might not but that's on them. It can be done. Smith is the big loss and he was a 500 yd a season guy. Doesn't hurt the same as losing Delanie Walker did. The big dogs are still there.

BGMaverick
March 17th, 2021, 10:15 PM
This is a draft to find a wideout so that's promising.

3puppies
March 18th, 2021, 1:48 PM
Pats bringing back Kyle Van Noy. I like the move.

Sad to see Patrick Chung hanging up the cleats, but good for him. I just read he's the only player in NFL history to make the playoffs in his first 11 seasons.

BGMaverick
March 18th, 2021, 2:38 PM
Good on Vegas drafting a RB in the first round and perpetually putting road blocks in front of him so he won't be a workhorse.

Tyson
March 18th, 2021, 6:52 PM
Good on Vegas drafting a RB in the first round and perpetually putting road blocks in front of him so he won't be a workhorse.

Hot take: Monte Kiffin and his Tampa-2/defensive playmakers were the real reason the Bucs made it to and won Super Bowl 37.

3puppies
March 18th, 2021, 11:04 PM
This is what they do when men rub the tip of their dick on women who didn't want it to happen.

Maybe Robert Kraft will offer his lawyers to Deshaun Watson as part of a trade deal.

Rancid_Planet
March 19th, 2021, 2:56 AM
Maybe Robert Kraft will offer his lawyers to Deshaun Watson as part of a trade deal.

Oooooooooh

Caito
March 20th, 2021, 11:26 AM
DeShaun faces the very real chance of not playing this year.

Rancid_Planet
March 20th, 2021, 4:53 PM
2020 Titans 1st round pick Isiah Wilson, who was traded to Miami, now cut by Miami after about 4 days.

Wilson played about 3 snaps for the Titans last season as he spent the rest of the season getting the cops called on him, trying to jump off balconies while running from police, getting DUIs and catching covid. Miami cut him because he wouldnt attend meetings or workouts because he was too busy making videos of him vaping and dancing on cars.

You know...I don't think hes gonna make it in this league...

BGMaverick
March 21st, 2021, 3:54 PM
I think a big move is coming.

Did it?

Rancid_Planet
March 21st, 2021, 8:42 PM
Did it?

Nope. Lol. Just a series of smaller moves.

Rancid_Planet
March 22nd, 2021, 3:03 PM
Titans sign Josh Reynolds from the Rams to be the number 2 wr.

BGMaverick
March 22nd, 2021, 3:12 PM
Titans sign Josh Reynolds from the Rams to be the number 2 wr.

He's not bad. Probably ideal for the role: serviceable and won't bitch because he's not getting a lot of targets because he's used to that.

Rancid_Planet
March 22nd, 2021, 5:15 PM
He's not bad. Probably ideal for the role: serviceable and won't bitch because he's not getting a lot of targets because he's used to that.

Its a one year prove it deal too. He'll be busting his ass to get open.

Fro
March 23rd, 2021, 11:24 AM
https://www.nbcsports.com/sites/rsnunited/files/article/content/Patriots%20offseason%20tracker%200321_0.jpg

Consider me very excited about the 2021 season. Re-tooled and ready to go. We'll see how the draft goes, along with additional signings and trades, but it should be a very competitive division with 3 good teams. Bills, Pats, Dolphins would be my current power rankings.

Pablo Diablo
March 23rd, 2021, 11:45 AM
I think the Dolphins might need one more season. This is another big draft for Miami and the new players might need a year to really click with the league. Also the Tua factor.

BGMaverick
March 23rd, 2021, 12:35 PM
I think the Dolphins might need one more season. This is another big draft for Miami and the new players might need a year to really click with the league. Also the Tua factor.

Yup. They were ahead of schedule last season. They're in a fragile state, regardless. Could really pivot in either direction.

Fro
March 23rd, 2021, 1:10 PM
The biggest remaining questions for the Pats are about Gilmore and the QB room. I hope they work out a deal to keep Gilmore, and they haven't dealt him yet so that gives me hope. We'll see how that shakes out. If they move him it'll change my outlook somewhat because a shutdown CB is so important. JC Jackson as CB1 and a question mark at CB2 is far worse. Jackson could also be moved since they chose to put a 2nd round tender on him instead of a 1st. Will another team make him an offer sheet, and would the Pats match? We'll see. He had 9 picks last year.

When it comes to QB, I really hope they get someone good in the draft, but I expect Cam will be the starter week 1 regardless. Also if Mariota gets released they could sign him, especially if they don't expect to get a QB early in the draft.

BGMaverick
March 23rd, 2021, 1:19 PM
Kiper has them mocked to draft Jones at 15, FWIW. It feels safe to assume Jones would be the last remaining QB of the run of QBs and that he would be there.

Edit: Mariotta is staying in Vegas

Rancid_Planet
March 24th, 2021, 5:40 PM
Suh back to Tampa on a one year deal. I was thinking he might end up in Dallas.

TimeSplitter
March 26th, 2021, 1:13 PM
San Fran trading up to the #3 pick

San Fran: #3
Miami: #12, 3rd rounder, 2022 & 2023 1sts

Wow.

Fro
March 26th, 2021, 1:25 PM
monster deal. the dolphins believe in Tua.

TimeSplitter
March 26th, 2021, 1:32 PM
Now the Dolphins have traded up from 12 to 6

Dolphins: #6 and 156
Eagles: #12, 123, and a 2022 1st

Rancid_Planet
March 26th, 2021, 2:32 PM
Edit.

Fro
March 26th, 2021, 2:37 PM
interesting move by the Eagles. they move back 6 spots and pick up a 2022 1st. reasonable enough. but if on draft day there's a good QB there at #6, that pick could be worth even more. or the top QBs could be gone and no one wants to move there. kinda like playing the stock market. is #6 more valuable now or later?

TimeSplitter
March 26th, 2021, 2:45 PM
If Wentz plays enough, they will have 3 1sts in the 2022 draft.

BGMaverick
March 26th, 2021, 5:25 PM
interesting move by the Eagles. they move back 6 spots and pick up a 2022 1st. reasonable enough. but if on draft day there's a good QB there at #6, that pick could be worth even more. or the top QBs could be gone and no one wants to move there. kinda like playing the stock market. is #6 more valuable now or later?

My guess is now because I imagine they're gone in the first five picks (if you believe there are four worth going that high).

3puppies
March 26th, 2021, 6:00 PM
QB is the most important position on the field, and every year it becomes more and more clear that teams without a really good one will be significantly worse than teams with them. And the best thing a franchise can have is a great QB on a rookie contract. So their value become more and more overinflated, despite the fact that on average, at least half of them will be busts. That being said, it seems more and more likely that each year we will see more teams trading up to try to get a QB. Most teams understand that the days of starting QB's coming out of the 3rd round are well behind us.

Tyson
March 26th, 2021, 9:43 PM
That was a big move by San Fran, looks like the Jimmy G era is over.

TimeSplitter
March 26th, 2021, 10:27 PM
If Wilson goes second, I could see them taking either Lance/Fields and sitting them behind Jimmy G for a year.

Tyson
March 27th, 2021, 2:11 AM
Spend all that draft capital to move up to 3rd and take a “franchise” QB (I’m not overly sold on any draft eligible QB outside of Trevor Lawrence), then have him sit the first year of his rookie deal behind a dude making $25M that you clearly don’t trust? Three consecutive first round picks for a QB with question marks feels like a huge overpayment/panic move.

Why couldn’t we add a solid player at 12? If Jimmy G flames out as your 2021 starter, you’re probably picking in the top-10 again in the 2022 draft. The 2021 NFC West is going to be a fucking meatgrinder...

3puppies
March 29th, 2021, 4:04 PM
Now the Patriots are no longer interested in Jimmy G?

Fro
March 29th, 2021, 4:53 PM
Now the Patriots are no longer interested in Jimmy G?

I wouldn’t buy into these reports too much. The niners say they’re keeping him. It could be bullshit because if they don’t move him, they want him to not be bitter. Reporters say the pats aren’t interested. It could be bullshit because if he never even becomes available, they need to move on with their plans and also not undermine Cam (although I don’t think his feelings are a big factor here). But if he becomes available they could definitely make a play for him.

The point is- just let it play out.

For what it’s worth I actually believe the niners that they’re going to keep him for 1 more year because they feel they’re contenders right now. I think they’ll keep him but could possibly move him mid season if things shake out a certain way (like their rookie looks really good or jimmy gets hurt, etc).

Rancid_Planet
March 29th, 2021, 7:45 PM
Jimmy can't stay healthy. It would be so risky for Bill to spend so much money in free agency restocking the team and wind up with Jimmy sitting on the bench all year(s). If I'm Bill I'm drafting a kid with potential to sit and learn and if Cam still can't do anything, even with weapons, then go to whoever that is. At least it's cost effective. Even if you can't get one of the big names coming out at qb in this draft. I mean unless you trade up somehow you're the Patriots. You'll never be bad enough to pick in the top 5.

BGMaverick
March 30th, 2021, 11:16 AM
I can't imagine Jimmy G is long for San Francisco. I tend to think Shanny feels that he needs to a competent QB in there to run his system and utilize the skill position guys. That QB needs to be reliable/durable and accurate. Jimmy G isn't very durable and he struggles with accuracy but has shown flashes of it at times. They may have been motivated to get a competent backup to hedge but maybe they're ready to rip the band aid off a little quicker. At this point, I imagine SF just wants to address the position and draft someone who can hopefully replace him within a year.

Darnold needs to go to Denver and that's potentially a wonderful bit for both. There's a Gase stink on Darnold so there's a chance he can be salvaged, and Denver has quite a few pieces for him to where it can be put up or shut up time to avoid the bust label.

Tyson
March 30th, 2021, 2:13 PM
I fully believe that Darnold can still be a good NFL starting QB.

That shitshow in New York was fucking gross, even Tom Brady would have looked pedestrian in Jets gear: incompetent head coach, little-to-no talent around Darnold.

If I’m Saleh, I’m tempted to trade down from 2 and get a shitload of additional picks, fill a handful of holes on your team and give Darnold one more season under center. If Darnold bombs, you’re picking in the top-5 next year again.

BGMaverick
March 30th, 2021, 3:25 PM
If I’m Saleh, I’m tempted to trade down from 2 and get a shitload of additional picks, fill a handful of holes on your team and give Darnold one more season under center. If Darnold bombs, you’re picking in the top-5 next year again.

I think you want to line up the timelines on your assessment period here with Saleh and the QB so giving Darnold the heave ho makes sense. You're not getting a king's ransom back for Darnold but you're going to get something of use, I'm sure. I imagine San Fran had good intel on what their former DC and his new organization would be interested in doing with pick 2 so they knew the highest they could climb was 3.

Tyson
March 30th, 2021, 3:52 PM
I think you want to line up the timelines on your assessment period here with Saleh and the QB so giving Darnold the heave ho makes sense. You're not getting a king's ransom back for Darnold but you're going to get something of use, I'm sure. I imagine San Fran had good intel on what their former DC and his new organization would be interested in doing with pick 2 so they knew the highest they could climb was 3.

What am I missing? Darnold hits free agency in 2022, you have the final year of his rookie deal to decide if he’s actually salvageable.

The #2 pick, if I’m Saleh, should be in play right until I walk up to the podium. I’m looking at the haul that Miami got for the #3 and I’m thinking “I want that too”. I think if Saleh was 100% committed to going QB at 2, he probably would have released Darnold already, no?

BGMaverick
March 30th, 2021, 4:03 PM
What am I missing? Darnold hits free agency in 2022, you have the final year of his rookie deal to decide if he’s actually salvageable.

The #2 pick, if I’m Saleh, should be in play right until I walk up to the podium. I’m looking at the haul that Miami got for the #3 and I’m thinking “I want that too”. I think if Saleh was 100% committed to going QB at 2, he probably would have released Darnold already, no?

I don't think you're missing anything. I just think they're done. It's a new regime and they will probably want their guy.

It only gets problematic if they don't trade him before the draft. That's the only timeline I'm thinking is most imperative because there's still teams are probably looking at making things happen within their QB room. There's not many, but there's still some.

TimeSplitter
April 5th, 2021, 4:08 PM
Sam Darnold is being traded to Carolina for a 2021 6th round pick, and 2022 2nd and 4th round picks.

BGMaverick
April 5th, 2021, 4:45 PM
Like that spot for him, considering the coach and the weapons around him. Prove it and get it a new deal. Don't, then he's got to "slum" it as a backup.

3puppies
April 5th, 2021, 5:13 PM
Happy for Sam to get out of NY.

The Panthers got a reclamation project, and didn't have to give up all that much for him.

If the Jets hadn't told everyone they were taking a QB at two, I would have though they could have gotten more for Darnold.

Tyson
April 5th, 2021, 5:47 PM
Sam Darnold is being traded to Carolina for a 2021 6th round pick, and 2022 2nd and 4th round picks.

And I was wrong. Good move for both sides, Sam Darnold especially; a chance to compete with Bridgewater for the starting gig, has some legit weapons around him for the first time ever.

So it looks like Lawrence-Wilson-Fields at the top of the draft, I guess...

Rancid_Planet
April 5th, 2021, 7:48 PM
Carolina...very interesting team to watch next season.

BGMaverick
April 5th, 2021, 7:58 PM
And I was wrong. Good move for both sides, Sam Darnold especially; a chance to compete with Bridgewater for the starting gig, has some legit weapons around him for the first time ever.

Darnold is going to have to fall on his ass to lose the gig. I'll be surprised if Bridgewater is still a Panther by the start of the season.

Caito
April 6th, 2021, 1:48 PM

Replace Fields with Lance.

Kdestiny
April 6th, 2021, 2:31 PM
Could very easily be Jones in that third spot as well

TimeSplitter
April 6th, 2021, 4:51 PM
Yeah any combo of Fields/Jones/Lance are in play. It really comes down to who they like the best. Carolina could still surprise and draft a QB. Broncos are also in play for a top QB too. Falcons also open to trading out of 4 to a QB needy team. If you are a top 15 team not looking for QB, you are in great shape this year.

Caito
April 6th, 2021, 7:00 PM
Carolina is saying they are gonna exercise Darnold’s 5th year option though right? If so, I do think that takes them out of drafting a QB, at least for a year.

BGMaverick
April 6th, 2021, 7:46 PM
Carolina is saying they are gonna exercise Darnold’s 5th year option though right? If so, I do think that takes them out of drafting a QB, at least for a year.

I tend to think it still keeps them flexible for this season but the urgency to get one this draft went down a bit. It's put up or shut up time for Darnold. He's getting an incredible upgrade in terms of coaching staffs and a pretty healthy one in terms of a supporting cast. As long as he's not seeing more ghosts, he's got an opportunity to salvage his career. Joe Brady is a guy who has a chance make an incredible name for himself here with Darnold coming into the fold.

Caito
April 6th, 2021, 7:47 PM
Just getting away from Gase gives Darnold a better chance, as you say.

Kdestiny
April 6th, 2021, 8:16 PM
Just getting away from Gase gives Darnold a better chance, as you say.

Which he already was right?

Caito
April 6th, 2021, 8:19 PM
True. The full out clean break hopefully is an additional good sign.

Kdestiny
April 6th, 2021, 8:22 PM
True. The full out clean break hopefully is an additional good sign.

Wait until Carolina hires Gase for some reason

Tyson
April 6th, 2021, 9:08 PM
Could very easily be Jones in that third spot as well

I highly doubt the Niners spent all that draft capital to take Kirk Cousins 2.0 at #3. At least I really hope they didn’t.

Panthers QB costs

2021: Darnold @ $5M + Bridgewater @$18M (whether they keep/get rid of him)
2022: Darnold @ $19M + cheap veteran backup @ $3-4M

If I was Rhule, I would love to have a full off-season and season with Sam before I have to make a decision. Of course if Sam completely shits the bed this Fall, all bets are off.

BGMaverick
April 6th, 2021, 9:54 PM
I highly doubt the Niners spent all that draft capital to take Kirk Cousins 2.0 at #3. At least I really hope they didn’t.

Why are you hoping against that?

Tyson
April 6th, 2021, 10:08 PM
Why are you hoping against that?

Because a move that daring deserves a difference maker, a game changer a la Trey Lance.

Kdestiny
April 6th, 2021, 10:18 PM
That's....

I hope Chicago move up, but all signs point to them not doing anything which fits being such a great draft at QB

BGMaverick
April 6th, 2021, 10:28 PM
Because a move that daring deserves a difference maker, a game changer a la Trey Lance.

Picture it this way. You, by some miraculous chance, succeed in getting Rihanna/Meghan Markle/whichever perfect ten floats your boat to fall for you. Are you really going to aim for a sex life consisting of missionary-style, five minutes at a time, once a week, with the lights off? Fuck no. You’re popping little blue so you can go for hours: private jet, the beach, the penthouse infinity pool.

Depends on what the actual definition of a "difference maker" is and there's just as viable of a case to go for what you're saying or go for the non-sexy answer. It's all about perspective and actual desire. Jimmy G, who is generally seen as a conservative QB, was 1-2 passes away from making good on SF's plan to play tough defense and pound the rock so there's merit in believing that's the way for them. Yeah, it's pretty cool if a QB gets out the pocket and runs for 20-30 yards or if he chucks it 50 yards in the air and drops it in the bucket. That's cool for us, but I doubt coaches want to have to rely on that. They want a person who is reliable, dependable, and won't wilt under pressure.

SF's system on offense is built around their athletes and letting them roam. Whether it's Mostert or Wilson with proper blocking, or Samuel/Aiyuk behind the LOS and letting them get a lane to run or Kittle being a beast, it's built on timing and precision. I'm sure athleticism at the trigger point really creates a sense of exciting chaos but you need someone who keeps things moving as it should. They probably put a premium on efficiency. That efficiency can provide stimulating excitement in its own way.

As I said initially, this doesn't discredit the idea of going with someone other than Jones but looking at him shouldn't be seen as missionary style, especially if it creates efficiency.

Tyson
April 6th, 2021, 10:36 PM
As a Niners fan, I’d really like to get the dude with the Pat Mahomes-esque upside...

BGMaverick
April 6th, 2021, 10:37 PM
As a Niners fan, I’d really like to get the dude with the Pat Mahomes-esque upside...

Most would, but those don't grow on trees.

Kdestiny
April 6th, 2021, 10:48 PM
Most would, but those don't grow on trees.

Trey Lance could be that guy. He has a high ceiling but a lower floor than the other top QBs