PDA

View Full Version : Stadia from Google

Hero!
March 19th, 2019, 7:37 PM
https://youtu.be/AffodEEF4ho

in case that generic video also confused you, here’s what we sorta know:

- video game streaming service designed to work on any device
- will be able to stream at 4K
- You can click into games via a YouTube video. Seww a trailer for something on the service? Click on a link in the video and you’ll be able to play

Could be interesting. I see it being a big hit with kids whose parents don’t wanna buy them a console.

Fro
March 19th, 2019, 8:38 PM
I'm not interested but I can see how this is a major part of the future of gaming

VHS
March 19th, 2019, 8:42 PM
This type of service has been tried before, and it's never worked out. Blocking the details w/ that promotional monstrosity shows how shitty this is going to be. I predict a lot of load screens, crashes, lag, latency, and inadequate bandwidth.

Or it could actually be the future. Fart.

Fro
March 19th, 2019, 9:23 PM
I think the promo video in OP is good despite being uninformative, also the name Stadia is good. Also here's a link I read with more info

https://kotaku.com/google-unveils-gaming-platform-stadia-1833409933

Morrison
March 19th, 2019, 9:41 PM
This type of service has been tried before, and it's never worked out. Blocking the details w/ that promotional monstrosity shows how shitty this is going to be. I predict a lot of load screens, crashes, lag, latency, and inadequate bandwidth.

Or it could actually be the future. Fart.
what? they had a whole presentation about it

Pablo Diablo
March 19th, 2019, 10:04 PM
Only because it's Google behind this am I going to give it some hope. I still don't think the bandwidth is really there for this. They say ability to stream at 4k. But I worry about input lag as well as just general lag. Especially up here in Canada which isn't known for its great telecom. Let alone the Aussies. They'll probably never be able to use this.

Hero!
March 19th, 2019, 11:03 PM
Internet speeds are amazing where I live so I’m gonna be all over this and I’ll laugh at poor people like Morrison who can’t afford good internet speeds

Morrison
March 19th, 2019, 11:11 PM
Internet speeds are amazing where I live so I’m gonna be all over this and I’ll laugh at poor people like Morrison who can’t afford good internet speeds

motherfucker i got that gig connection.

Hero!
March 19th, 2019, 11:30 PM
I didn’t think you guys even had real internet out there in Amish country.

Simon
March 20th, 2019, 5:43 AM
They do, but it requires a minimum of sixty villagers to be manning the energy bicycles at any one time.

RuneEdge
March 20th, 2019, 10:42 AM
I think too many people still don't get the difference between "faster internet" (which is larger bandwidth) and latency. The average internet connection these days in most places could easily stream 4k content without any issues. And we've progressively been getting larger bandwidth over the years (and will continue to do so). But latency is still pretty much the same as its been for like the last decade. Our online games arent any less laggy than they used to be. This is still as much of an issue as its always been.

Also as VHS said, this kind of cloud gaming service has been done before. I think what Google are doing is leveraging their YouTube platform to enter this market. And its smart. The majority of top YouTube channels involve gaming. And they pretty much all generate a shit load of money for the content creator and Google, through adverts and sponsors. So they already have a massive potential userbase for Stadia, on top of the money they'd generate from adverts and whatever.
This is hardly ground braking from the consumer's POV. But a good business decision for Google.