PDA

View Full Version : Georges St Pierre Retiring 2/21/2019

Nash Diesel
February 20th, 2019, 2:38 PM
http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/26037733/georges-st-pierre-announce-retirement-ufc-thursday

Arguably the greatest of all time in the history of not just MMA but combat sports, GSP has announced he will officially retire via press conference in Montreal tomorrow Feb 21st, 2019. After months of trying to secure a fight with LW Champ Khabib, negotiations never materialized so GSP felt it was officially time to call it a day.

First fight I ever saw of his was the Mayhem Miller fight and I was a fan ever since.

Percussion
February 20th, 2019, 2:43 PM
It's been a pleasure watching him work.

GOAT in my book.

BigAl
February 20th, 2019, 2:55 PM
I'm not as big a UFC fan as I was back in the day but GSP was one of the reasons I got into it. Dude was awesome. Not every fighter can go toe to toe with Captain America.

Fanny Batter
February 20th, 2019, 3:03 PM
One of my least favourite fighters to watch, but undeniably for me the greatest of all time. I don't think it's over the top to say that if you made a top 10 of welterweights between 2003 and 2013, GSP was number 1 and he beat the other 9. Hughes, Fitch, Hendricks, Diaz, Koscheck, Alves, Shields, Condit and Serra. Throw in Karo, Trigg, Mayhem and Hardy too as good wins. Then you've got dominant stoppages over 2 all time great lightweights in BJ Penn and Sean Sherk. 9 consecutive title defences and didn't lose the belt in the cage. Topped off with a stoppage win in a higher weight class after a 4 year absence to become a 2 weight king. Avenged both career losses via stoppage and retired on a 13 fight win streak. Yep, that's the man.

Mark Hammer
February 20th, 2019, 3:36 PM
Legend. Thanks for the memories.

Mark Hammer
February 20th, 2019, 4:41 PM
Possibly exciting news, possibly disappointing; Khabib has asked GSP not to retire yet and to fight him in November.

Percussion
February 20th, 2019, 5:01 PM
That's such a goddamn good fight to make.

Just make it a catchweight career finale superfight.

C'mon Georges, one last one.

Reveille
February 20th, 2019, 8:15 PM
Not one of my favorites but no one can deny he was one of, if not the best of all time

Nash Diesel
February 20th, 2019, 9:04 PM
Has anyone ever beat the true elite in their prime fighters more than GSP?