PDA

View Full Version : The Front Page

Rip
August 3rd, 2018, 4:07 AM
So they changed the front page, personally preferred the old one as it was easier to glance through the headlines on but it doesn’t bother me, it does seem odd though that I have to log onto another thing before commenting on a site that I’ve been a member of for years.

And it’s funny seeing all the ‘finally a comment section’ posts when we’ve been commenting on the articles here forever.

Good job getting rid of the bloody pop ups though.

MTR
August 3rd, 2018, 11:28 AM
At one point they had the comment feature on some time ago but ended up turning it back off. So guess Rajah decided to put it back on again. Lets see how long it lasts. :lol:

Donald
August 3rd, 2018, 12:20 PM
I wish we could comment through our forum names.

Cewsh
August 3rd, 2018, 2:55 PM
Very excited about the change. It's been coming for a good long time.

Rip
August 3rd, 2018, 7:19 PM
But why do I have to create an account on a third party site to comment on a site I’m already a member of Cewsh mate? Explain in simple terms, I’m old and have been drinking Jack Daniels Cider all night.

Cewsh
August 4th, 2018, 1:24 AM
Because the Forums and the Main Page are not the same site, do not use the same code, and are not for the same audience.

Peter Griffin
August 4th, 2018, 6:35 AM
But why do I have to create an account on a third party site to comment on a site I’m already a member of Cewsh mate? Explain in simple terms, I’m old and have been drinking Jack Daniels Cider all night.

Jack Daniels cider you say

Rip
August 4th, 2018, 8:55 AM
Jack Daniels cider you say

Bloody lovely stuff, but it has a habit of sneaking up on you

Peter Griffin
August 4th, 2018, 8:59 AM
I'd love to know how its existence passed me by :lol:

LOCONUT
August 4th, 2018, 10:42 AM
Because the Forums and the Main Page are not the same site, do not use the same code, and are not for the same audience.

LOL

virms
August 4th, 2018, 10:55 AM
The forums is basically an old folks home.

LOCONUT
August 4th, 2018, 11:01 AM
Rip likes something better the old way in huge online shocker.

Rip
August 4th, 2018, 7:38 PM
I'd love to know how its existence passed me by :lol:

Well worth looking for mate.

Rip likes something better the old way in huge online shocker.

I don’t mind some new stuff, see previous comment.

danny vanalli
August 6th, 2018, 3:20 AM
What would be glorious would be for posts to unwrap when you click the headline, right there on the page, so you don't have to open a dozen windows every time you go to read the news.

Ravin Lunatic
August 6th, 2018, 2:27 PM
I'm not too overly excited about the layout of the new format... I like being able to glance and click what I wanna read instead of having to scroll and scroll and....... scroll down a page to see what's happening.... On a side note... I do like that I can now comment on an article... However, I can see myself getting blocked from using it...

Cewsh
August 6th, 2018, 3:26 PM
You could just not be a troll.

virms
August 6th, 2018, 5:30 PM
The new main page isnt super eye pleasing compared to the last one but it is something to just get used to. Still easy to navigate and no pop ups or 5 billion ads.

Fun fact rajah.com is the only site i visit where i purposely click on ads. I am hoping that helps.

mth
August 6th, 2018, 6:15 PM
I dig that comments are available now although it also means i have to see stupid shit from idiots talking about "Fag Balor". Out of curiosity, is someone moderating the comments?

virms
August 6th, 2018, 6:46 PM
I am. Is his name not bundle of sticks balor?

Donald
August 7th, 2018, 8:19 AM
More like Thin Balor good lord he looks like he needs to eat.

Cewsh
August 7th, 2018, 3:22 PM
I dig that comments are available now although it also means i have to see stupid shit from idiots talking about "Fag Balor". Out of curiosity, is someone moderating the comments?

Yes, though the kinks are still being worked out.

mth
August 7th, 2018, 8:35 PM
I just saw there is a Comment Policy posted. :yes:

Rajah
August 8th, 2018, 1:13 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not exactly thrilled with the how the headlines aren't all compacted and listed one by one but I was told it wasn't possible with the new version of the CMS we had to move on. I also hate the little teaser or preview or whatever but again, I'm told it has to be there...still going to investigate.

The site was massively outdated to the point where the content management system we were using was no longer supported...and that happened years ago. :lol: Not only was it urgent to bring it up to date for security reasons, but I was getting beat up bad by Google for not having a mobile/responsive site. And then someone mentioned those pop ups or re-directs...those were happening because of desktop ads being displayed on mobile phones. Now that I have mobile ads specifically for mobile users, it should have went away.

Anyway, this is all still a work in progress and probably the next design update will happen before 2033.

virms
August 8th, 2018, 1:32 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not exactly thrilled with the how the headlines aren't all compacted and listed one by one but I was told it wasn't possible with the new version of the CMS we had to move on. I also hate the little teaser or preview or whatever but again, I'm told it has to be there...still going to investigate.

The site was massively outdated to the point where the content management system we were using was no longer supported...and that happened years ago. :lol: Not only was it urgent to bring it up to date for security reasons, but I was getting beat up bad by Google for not having a mobile/responsive site. And then someone mentioned those pop ups or re-directs...those were happening because of desktop ads being displayed on mobile phones. Now that I have mobile ads specifically for mobile users, it should have went away.

Anyway, this is all still a work in progress and probably the next design update will happen before 2033.

Just in time for the boy to take it all over.

Rip
August 8th, 2018, 6:48 AM
Thanks for the update Boss, I agree on the two headline issues they do detract from the site fir me, they also play into my other issue which is that, to me, the place doesn’t look as nice, and unique, as it did

HHHnFoley_Rulez
November 18th, 2018, 4:30 AM
This might be just me being stubborn but I'm sick of these reports saying "photo: " or "video: " and then I have to go to the other news site to see said content.

Just link them properly.. If I wanted to go to the other site, I would. I don't need Rajah being the middleman... step up!

I will not surrender!!!!!!

Cewsh
November 18th, 2018, 7:02 AM
Being the middleman is kind of the entire point of the front page. It’s a news aggregate site.

HHHnFoley_Rulez
November 18th, 2018, 12:04 PM
Meh, I guess I never paid attention to the changeover properly if that's the case... find it annoying but I guess it's that or Daniel Pena so...

...quickest surrender since the finger poke of doom.