PDA

View Full Version : AAF - Alliance of American Football

Hero!
March 20th, 2018, 2:27 PM
From Charlie Ebersol, coming February 2019. Just what we needed, another (other) football league!

A whole new football season will start right after the 2019 Super Bowl.

A spring professional league, the Alliance of American Football, will kick off its inaugural regular season on Feb. 9, 2019, and will include a modest broadcast deal with CBS, league executives announced Tuesday.
It is the latest in a string of attempts to create a new pro football league, dating back to the USFL, which folded in 1986. The XFL, founded by professional wrestling magnate Vince McMahon, played a single season in 2001 and shut down. McMahon plans to revive the league in 2020 (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/01/25/with-the-nfl-reeling-vince-mcmahon-reportedly-will-reboot-the-xfl/). The Arena Football League, an indoor product founded in 1987, plans to hold a 2018 season with just four teams, including in Washington and Baltimore.
“This [spring football] is a massive gap in the market,” founder Charlie Ebersol said in a news conference. “This is a marketplace of tens of millions of Americans who have been telling us for decades that they want to see high quality football longer than the football season.”
The AAF, founded by Ebersol — a television and film producer who directed an ESPN documentary about the XFL last year — and longtime NFL executive Bill Polian, will feature eight teams, a 10-game regular season schedule and distinct rule changes designed to speed up each contest.
<wp-ad aria-hidden="true" id="slug_inline_bb" class="wp-inline-bb pb-centered-bb" data-slot="sports/early-lead" data-json="{&quot;targeting&quot;:{&quot;pos&quot;:&quot;inline_bb&quot;,&quot;ctr&quot;:[&quot;zeus&quot;,&quot;zeus_inline_bb&quot;]},&quot;categoryExclusions&quot;:[]}" data-size="[[300,250],&quot;fluid&quot;,[620,250]]" style="box-sizing: border-box; display: block; color: rgb(17, 17, 17); font-family: FranklinITCProLight, HelveticaNeue, &quot;Helvetica Neue Light&quot;, &quot;Helvetica Neue&quot;, Helvetica, Arial, &quot;Lucida Grande&quot;, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; margin: 15px auto;"></wp-ad>The Alliance will do away with extra points; instead, scoring teams will attempt a two-point conversion from the two yard-line.
There are no kickoffs. The offense will take the ball from its own 25 yard-line. Instead of onside kicks, the scoring team will have one play from its own 35 yard-line to convert a fourth down and 10 play to keep the ball.
The Alliance will also have a 30-second play clock (the NFL’s is 40 seconds), replays will be limited to two coach’s challenges for either team and there will be no television timeouts.
“The game will only stops when it naturally stops,” said Ebersol, whose father, Dick Ebersol, was an NBC executive and XFL partner.
The goal is to complete a game in less than two and a half hours, and games will have 60 percent fewer commercials, Ebersol said.
Team names and locations have yet to be announced. Players on 50-man rosters will mostly be those cut by NFL teams and those from other professional football leagues, like the Canadian or arena leagues. The league’s debut and championship game will both appear on CBS, according to a CBS Sports report (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/spring-league-alliance-of-american-football-to-launch-in-2019-on-cbs/), and CBS Sports Network will also air one regular season game a week.
<wp-ad aria-hidden="true" id="slug_inline_bb_2" class="wp-inline-bb pb-centered-bb" data-slot="sports/early-lead" data-json="{&quot;targeting&quot;:{&quot;pos&quot;:&quot;inline_bb_2&quot;,&quot;ctr&quot;:[&quot;zeus&quot;,&quot;zeus_inline_bb_2&quot;]},&quot;categoryExclusions&quot;:[]}" data-size="[[300,250],&quot;fluid&quot;,[620,250]]" style="box-sizing: border-box; display: block; color: rgb(17, 17, 17); font-family: FranklinITCProLight, HelveticaNeue, &quot;Helvetica Neue Light&quot;, &quot;Helvetica Neue&quot;, Helvetica, Arial, &quot;Lucida Grande&quot;, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; margin: 15px auto;"></wp-ad>The AAF will grant player bonuses based on performance and fan interaction, something in which league officials said they had invested heavily. It will also have its own app where games can be streamed free of charge, and where fans can participate in play-by-play fantasy football-style gaming.
The league also vowed cheap ticket prices — each team will offer seats “between the 20s [yard-lines], close to the field” for $35, Ebersol said — and value-priced concessions.
The league, rather than individual franchises, will own each team and the rights of each player. For each season a player spends in the AAF, he will be awarded a year’s scholarship for a postsecondary education, said Justin Tuck, a former NFL defensive end and AAF executive.
Retired NFL Pro Bowlers Troy Polamalu and Jared Allen are also among the Alliance’s leadership.

Fro
March 20th, 2018, 3:35 PM
that is some dark text, but it could be darker. it is every so slightly less dark than the forum background.

Hero!
March 20th, 2018, 3:55 PM
I just copy and pasted. Who uses the dark background anyway?

MTR
March 20th, 2018, 4:11 PM
Me.

Red and Black for life!

Fro
March 20th, 2018, 4:26 PM
I just copy and pasted. Who uses the dark background anyway?

Who uses anything but red and black?? Lunatics, that's who

Percussion
March 20th, 2018, 4:36 PM
Meh, can't read.

Fro
March 20th, 2018, 4:40 PM
okay I was finally able to read OP.

It's really dumb for this and XFL to compete against each other. This basically has all the same shit Vince is probably going to enact for XFL. And it's from the Ebersol kid? Vince can't be happy. Then again who knows who actually had this plan first. Just because Vince rushed to announce his first, he could have heard about Charlie's plan and tried to swoop in. Either way, they should have combined forces.

The competition could be good in that we get 2 companies trying to make this work, and trying to best each other, and only the better one will survive. Or it could cripple them both since they will be competing for the same players.

Alliance of American Football is a dumb sounding name and Bill Polian is the worst so I'm definitely rooting for the XFL.

Hero!
March 20th, 2018, 5:13 PM
Changed color for the weirdos who don’t use the light skin

MTR
March 20th, 2018, 5:15 PM
You are the weirdo

Hero!
March 20th, 2018, 5:23 PM
You first

- - - Updated - - -

But yeah, more football leagues...whyyyy? This is all so pointless. Just rich guys with too much time battling over nothing

MTR
March 20th, 2018, 5:27 PM
Yeah guess I should chime in on that. Yeah this is pointless don't need these leagues.

Bandit
March 20th, 2018, 5:47 PM
The one thing they have going for them is a leadership team that includes some big name NFL guys in Justin Tuck, Jared Allen and Troy Polamalu. I can see some older vets getting in with this and it being a decent b-rate alternative that could never challenge the NFL, but still be better than arena football. Imagine if this time next year we are watching Johnny Manziel or Kaepernick play football. I'll watch.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, red and black 4 lyfe

darkhorse
March 20th, 2018, 6:34 PM
I can't help but think this is going to bomb after one season. I don't know how long this has been in the works but it feels rushed.

Randolph
March 20th, 2018, 7:38 PM
You people are insane. This just gives us a chance to finally see Tim Couch launch his career comeback. I also look forward to see the future Detroit Dumpster Dawgs play pro football at the local Edison High School football stadium. It's going to rock.

Percussion
March 20th, 2018, 7:39 PM
The one thing they have going for them is a leadership team that includes some big name NFL guys in Justin Tuck, Jared Allen and Troy Polamalu. I can see some older vets getting in with this and it being a decent b-rate alternative that could never challenge the NFL, but still be better than arena football. Imagine if this time next year we are watching Johnny Manziel or Kaepernick play football. I'll watch.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, red and black 4 lyfe

A never was washout and a mediocre qb are reasons to watch? To each their own and all, just.

Which anyway leads to the point of just how many really watchable pro football players are there? The NFL gets thin enough after playoff teams and at the end of rosters.

Bandit
March 20th, 2018, 10:12 PM
You underestimate how desperate I can get in the offseason.

Nash Diesel
March 21st, 2018, 12:01 PM
There's a reason there's a "gap in the market". There's no real desire from a large enough % of the population.

LOCONUT
March 21st, 2018, 1:46 PM
I will watch for sure. I'm not expecting top flight product but the NFL didn't really deliver that this year either. I just love football and the format sounds like it could be fun. No reason not to give it a shot.

LOCONUT
March 21st, 2018, 1:49 PM
I could see a scenario where if a guy has a great arena season they could get a shot in the NFL. Particularly linemen and tackles. If they use this as a potential launching pad to the NFL, these guys will be working their faces off.

Could be fun.

Rancid_Planet
March 21st, 2018, 6:58 PM
Jesus that kneeling thing really ate the panties off the wealthy fucks.

One season of non violent, peaceful 30 second protesting by NFL players and now I'm up to my armpits with new football leagues all named shit like The American Patriot Pride Old Glory Football League or Real American Football League of Great Heritage and Flag Waviness.

Every team has the same colors. Red White and Blue. And no Running backs because these colors don't run.

For the sake of fuck.

Randolph
March 21st, 2018, 11:27 PM
I don't like the argument about not watching football if the players are not elite worthy. If that was the case 95 percent of college football is unwatchable. That is not true.

Percussion
March 21st, 2018, 11:36 PM
The argument isn't about not watching simply football for lack of an elite product. It's about an inferior professional product. College football doesn't present itself as the best professionals on the planet.

If this league, or any other professional league, isn't presenting themselves as something along those lines then what is their touchstone?

Randolph
March 21st, 2018, 11:41 PM
I don't think this or any league not named the NFL would ever say that. It's about watchability and being entertaining. Don't need to be elite to be entertaining.

Percussion
March 21st, 2018, 11:56 PM
Of course it's about being entertaining. What's the entertainment hook of a bunch of c-level pros with no league history or fan sentiment?

LOCONUT
March 22nd, 2018, 12:43 AM
If they put out good product that is relatively well produced they will probably win over fans. I think it doesn't have to be great product, it just needs to be good and it will fill the void that 3/4 of NFL fans feel after the Super Bowl. If I can even have a little piece of the NFL magic, I will definitely watch, maybe bet on some games, and generally have a great time.

LOCONUT
March 22nd, 2018, 12:45 AM
Of course it's about being entertaining. What's the entertainment hook of a bunch of c-level pros with no league history or fan sentiment?

What's the hook with new movies, bands or anything else? If it's good, people will watch. It's either going to be good or bad. The hook is football in the off-season and it's a pretty compelling hook, for me anyway.

Percussion
March 22nd, 2018, 12:46 AM
On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being poor product and 10 being great product, what do you consider the XFL's previous showing?

LOCONUT
March 22nd, 2018, 12:47 AM
My wife is going to be so mad. She genuinely loves the football off season because she can see me on Sundays and I'm actually paying attention when we talk.

Percussion
March 22nd, 2018, 12:49 AM
What's the hook with new movies, bands or anything else? If it's good, people will watch. It's either going to be good or bad. The hook is football in the off-season and it's a pretty compelling hook, for me anyway.

This isn't a new movie or a band.

And the argument is that the product won't be good. And without a good product or a league history with embedded fan sentiment then the odds are it won't last past the initial 'wtf is this' viewing.

LOCONUT
March 22nd, 2018, 1:42 AM
I challenge your assumption that it won't be good. I may be wrong but I think the market is ripe for an alternative. I also wonder if this is going to press Vince McMahon to move more quickly.

LOCONUT
March 22nd, 2018, 1:45 AM
There's a relatively clear market shift happening. Ratings are declining in a meaningful enough way to see that there is an opening for an alternative right now. It's not because people decided in 2 years to stop liking football.

Percussion
March 22nd, 2018, 1:48 AM
What makes you think the product will be good? You said yourself the nfl wasn't up to snuff. So this league will be?

LOCONUT
March 22nd, 2018, 1:54 AM
What makes you think the product will be good? You said yourself the nfl wasn't up to snuff. So this league will be?

I don't see any reason why they can't attract a pretty good group of players. The player pool is there. They can get a ton of kids. They build a quick star or 2 and it could be fun.

LOCONUT
March 22nd, 2018, 1:55 AM
I don't think it needs to be close to the NFL level to succeed and be fun as shit to watch. If the NFL had any balls they would air it on their network instead of non-stop nostalgia nonsense.

Percussion
March 22nd, 2018, 2:13 AM
I don't see any reason why they can't attract a pretty good group of players. The player pool is there. They can get a ton of kids. They build a quick star or 2 and it could be fun.

So the player pool isn't there for the decades old preeminent league in the sport, but it will be there for this thing all of a sudden? Ok.

LOCONUT
March 22nd, 2018, 2:18 AM
So the player pool isn't there for the decades old preeminent league in the sport, but it will be there for this thing all of a sudden? Ok.

We aren't talking about making an NFL team...

Percussion
March 22nd, 2018, 2:21 AM
And so what are you left with..

LOCONUT
March 22nd, 2018, 2:31 AM
Good, maybe great players who didn't get a chance in the NFL but get to play off-season football in front of fans and on TV, working their faces off.

son_of_foley
March 22nd, 2018, 5:10 AM
This isn't arena football is it? Does that mean oakland could get a team and St. Louis and other places which don't have an nfl team? Think that would be a nice way to gather fan bases etc. Maybe they even beat nfl to the expansion punch and add a Canadian and Mexican city in to boot

Matthew
March 22nd, 2018, 9:30 AM
cmon regulation and promotions.

Randolph
March 22nd, 2018, 11:34 AM
It's the same hook that going to a minor league game, D-league, or going to a mid major college game. Them being the best does not guarantee a game to be entertaining, nor does the talent level being secondary guarantee the game to be boring.

Percussion
March 22nd, 2018, 11:45 AM
The NFL has a d-league. They play on Saturdays in the fall.

And I'm not arguing that there flat out shouldn't be an alternative league, just that I seriously doubt the likelihood of sustainable fan interest.

PurePlayer
March 22nd, 2018, 11:51 AM
I think a league where players can go to hone in on their craft could be a good thing. Like a feeder system to the NFL. Obviously there isn't going to be a league that will compete with them. I don't think there should be two of these leagues though so the XFL might as well not even start

Kneeneighbor
March 22nd, 2018, 12:44 PM
cmon regulation and promotions.

:wanker: :barf:

Randolph
March 22nd, 2018, 1:07 PM
I find the XFL more interesting out of the two.

Bandit
March 22nd, 2018, 10:08 PM
Just out of curiosity, why?

Randolph
March 22nd, 2018, 10:37 PM
Because it's Vince and the comeback of the XFL man! It is going to be interesting to see it return.

Plus, this other league is called the fucking the Alliance of American Football. It sounds like a knockoff MLS league. What kind of name is that?

LOCONUT
March 22nd, 2018, 11:24 PM
The name doesn't bother me whatsoever. Genuinely the only thing I care about it all is that the football is fun to watch.

Bandit
March 23rd, 2018, 1:12 PM
Because it's Vince and the comeback of the XFL man! It is going to be interesting to see it return.

Plus, this other league is called the fucking the Alliance of American Football. It sounds like a knockoff MLS league. What kind of name is that?

The XFL was predicated on being violent and sexy, with cheerleaders treated like wwe divas and marketing that made it look like nfl blitz.

the XFL noooowwww.... they said no cheerleaders and no players with any criminal records allowed. Nothing wrong with either of those changes, but they are totally different from the original XFL's identity. Hard to take serious imo.

Fro
May 30th, 2018, 9:00 PM
anyone else getting excited for this league? the coaches list is has some good names. Brad Childress (with Mike Vick as offensive coordinator), Mike Singletary, Steve Spurrier, Mike Martz. They've got their TV deal with CBS in place. 6 cities announced so far. They've really got the jump on the XFL what with launching a year ahead. Vince can't be happy to be going second.

virms
May 30th, 2018, 9:18 PM
anyone else getting excited for this league? the coaches list is has some good names. Brad Childress (with Mike Vick as offensive coordinator), Mike Singletary, Steve Spurrier, Mike Martz. They've got their TV deal with CBS in place. 6 cities announced so far. They've really got the jump on the XFL what with launching a year ahead. Vince can't be happy to be going second.

I would imagine he is more pissed about selling 3.34 million shares of his stock for 29 bucks when its now 60 per share as of today.

Fro
May 30th, 2018, 9:37 PM
I would imagine he is more pissed about selling 3.34 million shares of his stock for 29 bucks when its now 60 per share as of today.

very true. why the hell did he sell before his new tv deals came through? to put all his money in the XFL which will probably fail?

virms
May 30th, 2018, 10:26 PM
He hasnt come close to putting all his money in.

He has more money than 4 or 5 generations of his family can spend.

The xfl is just his straight little pet project. A last hurrah for vince before he slips off into the shadows for a few hundred years before he reemerges as a young 20 something business man to start all over and build a new empire.

Randolph
May 30th, 2018, 10:29 PM
Cool to see Martz, Spurrier, and Childress back, but Singletary sucked ass as a head coach. Interesting to see what Vick does as a coach.

virms
May 30th, 2018, 10:32 PM
Love me some spurrier.

Fro
May 30th, 2018, 10:36 PM
100 million is an expensive pet project, and as you said it's really 200 million since shares have doubled since the sale

But yea I know it's not all his money, what I'm wondering is based on the reporting that he did the WWE sale to fund the xfl, if he had to rush that because of the aaf beating him to the punch and thus missed out on the bigger cash out even though he knew shares were rising and the tv deals were going to be big.

The timing of the 2 leagues is intriguing. 10 years from now we will probably get a 30 for 30 in which Vince finds out about the AAF launch plans and then scrambles to announce the xfl comeback before them despite knowing he is a year behind because he was seeing his opportunity float away at the hands of team ebersol his former partner

virms
May 30th, 2018, 10:46 PM
He still has over 32 million shares as we speak plus his invidual net worth. Aint no thang.

But yeah, im sure he was forced to rush some things thanks to ebersol. Im also sure there is some sort of rule in place where he would have violated some laws if he sold his stock closer to the sale of tv rights to fox and nbc. Not sure though lets get Jamstar's opinion.

Fro
May 30th, 2018, 10:49 PM
He still has over 32 million shares as we speak plus his invidual net worth. Aint no thang.

Ok. That's not really at all what I'm talking about but your defensivenss over Vince's cash situation is noted

virms
May 30th, 2018, 10:57 PM
All i was saying is 100 mil isnt shit to him.

Fro
May 30th, 2018, 11:09 PM
True but even so, this all feels like the XFL is set up to fail.

I mean let's say the AAF is a success year 1... the XFL will have to overtake it and maybe try to steal players from it

And let's say the AAF fizzles and no one cares about it... that will make people even less enthused about the XFL

Seems like a lose lose unless both leagues can coexist which seems unlikely. And even if 100 million isn't a big deal to Vince you know he hates failure, especially since he already failed at this spectacularly once before

darkhorse
May 30th, 2018, 11:41 PM
Depending on where the other 2(?) unannounced AAF teams are, there could still be some potential for the XFL to work in other markets. St. Louis (at least for now) is still fair game, and by the time the XFL launches, the Raiders will be on their way to Vegas so that leaves Oakland as another possible XFL market.

Kneeneighbor
May 31st, 2018, 9:14 AM
Each team sets up their league, plays a championship game against each other... sounds familiar.

Fro
May 31st, 2018, 9:25 AM
Each team sets up their league, plays a championship game against each other... sounds familiar.

That is a good idea and would be cool but both leagues will need to be independently viable before they can collaborate like that IMO. Unless they already have a secret agreement to do that it seems like they will be competing with each other for survival these first few years and having a super bowl would be tricky.

But it's still a great idea if the demand is there for both leagues to exist.

Fro
July 26th, 2018, 7:10 PM
random comment here but I see the XFL posting these questions on twitter like "If you were the #XFL Commissioner, would you make any changes to the rules around catches?" and it's all very lame. I mean asking fans is fine but their social media game is just so bland. maybe that's inevitable since they're still 18 months from launch. also Vince said he plans to spend $500 million in the first 3 years (I question whether it will last that long).

meanwhile the AAF announced its college/NFL affiliates from which players will be assigned an AAF team based on where they played last.

spoiled for size
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dh8VYU4VMAUhhOi.jpg

Chris Scott
July 27th, 2018, 5:19 PM
This crap been cancelled before it’s started yet?

Percussion
November 28th, 2018, 11:03 AM
Alliance of American Football QB Draft: Aaron Murray, Christian Hackenberg highlight QBs taken (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/alliance-of-american-football-qb-draft-aaron-murray-christian-hackenberg-highlight-qbs-taken/)

Nobody will watch this past the first week.

Nash Diesel
November 28th, 2018, 1:58 PM
I think there's a small % of football fans who want to see the NFL every week of the year lol. I think the build to the next season is a crucial part of what makes people a fan of sports in general. You get that 3-4 month break then it's back at it.

But again, the NFL. Not just football in general. That's where people like McMahon and Ebersole are fucking up. They think all they have to do is put out FOOTBALL and it'll work. Look at history, good luck Alliance and XFL.

Fro
November 28th, 2018, 1:59 PM
Alliance of American Football QB Draft: Aaron Murray, Christian Hackenberg highlight QBs taken (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/alliance-of-american-football-qb-draft-aaron-murray-christian-hackenberg-highlight-qbs-taken/)

Nobody will watch this past the first week.

so basically what you're saying is that because the pool of players is so lackluster, there is no way for any new pro league (whether this or the XFL) to succeed? you could be right but I don't think this QB draft is a telling sign. it's not like they could draft Patrick Mahomes.

and I mean.... saying nobody will watch is relative. does anyone watch out of market baseball? not that I'm aware of, but they still put it on ESPN every week. so what's the meter for success? if they put this on FS1 and replace some talking head show none of us have ever heard of on sunday afternoons, will it get better or worse ratings?

Kneeneighbor
November 28th, 2018, 2:21 PM
so basically what you're saying is that because the pool of players is so lackluster, there is no way for any new pro league (whether this or the XFL) to succeed? you could be right but I don't think this QB draft is a telling sign. it's not like they could draft Patrick Mahomes.

and I mean.... saying nobody will watch is relative. does anyone watch out of market baseball? not that I'm aware of, but they still put it on ESPN every week. so what's the meter for success? if they put this on FS1 and replace some talking head show none of us have ever heard of on sunday afternoons, will it get better or worse ratings?

One thing of note. I think that the AA is risking making the same mistake the XFL originally did when they had little practice time ahead of the season. These teams are just figuring out who their QB is going to at the start of DEC. That leaves 9 weeks till kick off. When are they going to actually start football functions?

Percussion
November 28th, 2018, 2:48 PM

If it's a poor product with no built in fan sentiment then it won't succeed, no. That's what I'm saying.

And of course I didn't mean nobody in exact literal terms. Congrats, you sure got me there.

Percussion
November 28th, 2018, 2:50 PM
It's Zach Mettenberger and a bunch of nobodies vs Christian Hackenberg and a bunch of nobodies.

If I laid that lineup out for a Sunday night NFL game the ratings would be abysmal. And that's with the monolithic NFL history, branding, marketing, and fan base behind it.

So ya, let's see how that works for the Alabama Mud Hens vs the Little Rock Sea Turtles. Ok.

Kneeneighbor
November 28th, 2018, 2:54 PM
Again, to Fro's point. You are comparing it to the NFL ratings. FS1 is comparing it to some random talk show. That's all it has to beat. Same reason we get MAC football games on Tuesday Nights. It will beat what ever other random programing.

Nash Diesel
November 28th, 2018, 2:57 PM
If it's a poor product with no built in fan sentiment then it won't succeed, no. That's what I'm saying.

And of course I didn't mean nobody in exact literal terms. Congrats, you sure got me there..

lol.

Yeah this is not going to work out, at all. Yes, 5 people watched the XFL. 4 of them were old people who couldn't find the remote. The other was my boy Mike who turned it off 2 minutes into the show.

And again, where are the other leagues to show this could work? The problem is, the people involved aren't looking at this like they're creating a super local minor league set of 6 teams to play on FS+ at 2am. They're thinking they're going to make large amounts of money because there's this mythical fanbase out there dying for year round football. Not the NFL, but just any football. lol. Hilarious.

- - - Updated - - -

Again, to Fro's point. You are comparing it to the NFL ratings. FS1 is comparing it to some random talk show. That's all it has to beat. Same reason we get MAC football games on Tuesday Nights. It will beat what ever other random programing.

This isn't college football though G. This is a league trying to supplement the NFL's off-season. Good luck.

Percussion
November 28th, 2018, 2:58 PM
The MAC has some kind of fan base, albeit tiny compared to big time pro sports. It has well established American college football culture behind it.

Just because a sport lands so often on tv isn't really a measure of success. There are a badillion spots available for sports programming to chewed up and spit out continuously.

Once it runs it's initial course of 'hey what's that' and the money and ad spots dry up then we'll see it's actual measure of success. I'm just assuming, and based on fairly reasonable considerations, that it will end up the square root of nothing.

Fro
November 28th, 2018, 3:15 PM

And of course I didn't mean nobody in exact literal terms. Congrats, you sure got me there.

neither of us are talking in terms of literally zero viewers. what I'm saying is that there are other sports on tv that very few people watch. heck they still put bowling on ESPN. tv in general is so fragmented now with so many channels and so much space to fill, and sports is one of the few things that bring in the live viewer instead of the on-demand viewer, that there is a place for this now even more so than when XFL version 1 launched. whether or not they can make it profitable based on how expensive it is to run an entire football league, that's their challenge.

I agree with what Knee said. when this league premieres on CBS, on the big tv stage, if it really sucks and the play is unwatchable because the teams have only been together for a month with no preseason (plus a 30 second play clock and fewer timeouts makes coaching more difficult), then it sets them up to fail. they signed coaches with NFL experience which is good but they won't be able to work miracles.

Fro
November 28th, 2018, 3:21 PM
And again, where are the other leagues to show this could work?

yea when you look at the Arena League, you wonder how the AAF or XFL expects to surpass it in popularity. the AFL never caught on as anything meaningful in sports, but on the other hand it does still exist. it's been around for 30 years, I think. so maybe even just the fact that it stayed afloat so long gives credence to one of these new leagues being able to survive.

_me
November 28th, 2018, 3:27 PM
It's Zach Mettenberger and a bunch of nobodies vs Christian Hackenberg and a bunch of nobodies.

If I laid that lineup out for a Sunday night NFL game the ratings would be abysmal. And that's with the monolithic NFL history, branding, marketing, and fan base behind it.

So ya, let's see how that works for the Alabama Mud Hens vs the Little Rock Sea Turtles. Ok.
The smartest thing they could do is turn it into conferences battle of old college players. SEC vs PAC 12 vs ACC vs B1G. Maybe each division gets their own team? I feel like SEC fans would definitely get behind a team of old All-SEC stars that didn't make the NFL. Same with B1G fans.

Percussion
November 28th, 2018, 3:45 PM
neither of us are talking in terms of literally zero viewers. what I'm saying is that there are other sports on tv that very few people watch. heck they still put bowling on ESPN. tv in general is so fragmented now with so many channels and so much space to fill, and sports is one of the few things that bring in the live viewer instead of the on-demand viewer, that there is a place for this now even more so than when XFL version 1 launched. whether or not they can make it profitable based on how expensive it is to run an entire football league, that's their challenge.

I agree with what Knee said. when this league premieres on CBS, on the big tv stage, if it really sucks and the play is unwatchable because the teams have only been together for a month with no preseason (plus a 30 second play clock and fewer timeouts makes coaching more difficult), then it sets them up to fail. they signed coaches with NFL experience which is good but they won't be able to work miracles.

I'm gonna go out on a limb that putting together pro bowling or darts league programming is a hair more cost effective than what is being constructed here. I assumed that as a given.

And this league has no niche distinction behind it like the arena league. Although that has failed several times in it's existence as well. Rather this league is actually being sold as a cast off brand fill in for the real thing. So, ya.

Percussion
November 28th, 2018, 3:49 PM
And the idea that people are so expectant for year round football is kind of misleading. Football fans want that ... until they get it. Then they realize they've actually kind of had their usual fill.

It's like the talk about WWE having an offseason to give fans a reset period. Part of the thrill of an upcoming season is that there's an off and then upcoming part.

MMH
November 29th, 2018, 5:06 AM
Anywhere guys can go and play has got to be a good thing. As per usual it probably wont last though.

I love all these breakaway leagues though, they fascinate me, especially the old ones.

Mr. Boombastic
November 29th, 2018, 10:11 PM
If they want to attract fans to this, I think they have to push fantasy football for their league.

I can't think of a better way to get me and my buddies interested. Fantasy football off season is too long. Then again my wife may kill me if I join any more fantasy leagues.

Fro
November 30th, 2018, 12:24 PM
The smartest thing they could do is turn it into conferences battle of old college players. SEC vs PAC 12 vs ACC vs B1G. Maybe each division gets their own team? I feel like SEC fans would definitely get behind a team of old All-SEC stars that didn't make the NFL. Same with B1G fans.

If they want to attract fans to this, I think they have to push fantasy football for their league.

I can't think of a better way to get me and my buddies interested. Fantasy football off season is too long. Then again my wife may kill me if I join any more fantasy leagues.

they are doing these things. in regard to fantasy, while they have talked about building a "game changing" new style of fantasy interaction, I question how much interest there will be to partake in fantasy with players we've never heard of before. while building new fantasy games is the right move, the league needs to become popular first before anyone will give a shit. IMO.

and to me's point, each team already has a list of affiliate colleges they will have first dibs on players from, sorted by region.

Percussion
November 30th, 2018, 12:46 PM
As busty as I think this whole thing will turn out I also think the regional thing is a pretty cool attempt.

_me
November 30th, 2018, 5:56 PM
…and to me's point, each team already has a list of affiliate colleges they will have first dibs on players from, sorted by region.
That is cool. I hadn't read anything about that but I love that idea. I would do the same with the D-League for NBA.

Morrison
November 30th, 2018, 9:53 PM
they are doing these things. in regard to fantasy, while they have talked about building a "game changing" new style of fantasy interaction, I question how much interest there will be to partake in fantasy with players we've never heard of before. while building new fantasy games is the right move, the league needs to become popular first before anyone will give a shit. IMO.

and to me's point, each team already has a list of affiliate colleges they will have first dibs on players from, sorted by region.

i became a football fan because of fantasy. i played with friends and drafted a team and those players were what got me interested in games which grew my interest in the league as a whole. pushing fantasy football for this league from the jump could help in a similar fashion. i have zero interest in these leagues, tbh, but if any friends of mine were like fuck let's do an AAF league for fun, id probably join. and from there im now invested in these dudes and paying more attention to quality of play throughout the league and im more likely to watch games.

BigAl
December 4th, 2018, 1:34 PM
I've read a few articles where they've said their fantasy game will be "more interactive." I'm definitely interested to see how they make a game like fantasy football more interactive. Maybe give the ability to swap players mid-game?

And replacing the onside kick with a 4th and long at your own 35 yard line is kind of a cool idea.

Percussion
January 30th, 2019, 8:53 PM
AAF plan to replace onside kicks showing interesting results (https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/30/aaf-plan-to-replace-onside-kicks-showing-interesting-results/)

The upcoming Alliance of American Football is going to try some new things, making them an interesting trial balloon for potential rules changes for other much larger professional leagues.

Early on, they announced the elimination of the kickoff (teams will simply begin with the ball at their own 25-yard line). They’re also doing away with the onside kick for late-game situations, by giving teams a chance to convert a fourth-and-12 from their own 28-yard line.

:yes:

Kneeneighbor
January 31st, 2019, 12:01 AM
I will miss kick offs and the strategy of an onside kick but with what the NFL has done with the new rules that is dead anyway.

Randolph
February 10th, 2019, 3:09 PM
Anyone watch any games last night? I saw some highlights and it looks pretty good. Team names could be more imaginative though.

https://youtu.be/tUJFhhATLso

Kneeneighbor
February 10th, 2019, 5:10 PM
Orlando looked good. San Diego vs San Antonio featured some weak QB play. It will get better week to week but should be noted last night it out drew the NBA nationally on tv

Randolph
February 10th, 2019, 5:52 PM
It is insulting the teams are in fair weather cities. Why no northern love?

Kneeneighbor
February 10th, 2019, 8:47 PM
Iron looking like a big time Defense and that Trent Richardson run game!

Pablo Diablo
February 10th, 2019, 8:53 PM
Orlando looked good. San Diego vs San Antonio featured some weak QB play. It will get better week to week but should be noted last night it out drew the NBA nationally on tv

That's crazy. You Americans love your football. I don't even know if in Canada a second hockey league would draw more than NBA or MLB (MLS of course it would).

Randolph
February 11th, 2019, 12:14 AM
XFL had 10 million viewers its first game. What truly matters is staying power. I hope this does succeed because it wouldn't hurt the NFL to have a developmental league for not only players, but coaches as well.

Randolph
February 11th, 2019, 3:36 AM
https://youtu.be/m2X0p2c8cVo

No flag

Bagel
February 13th, 2019, 3:30 PM
That'll go in the player safety manual if there's a season 2.

Randolph
February 19th, 2019, 9:48 AM
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/19/nhl-owner-saves-the-aaf

Apparently the Carolina Hurricanes owner had to give a quarter of a billion just to keep the company afloat for another week. Seems they were about to miss payroll. This League seemed so solid and how it does things so I find this very disappointing.

Fro
February 19th, 2019, 10:03 AM
yea that's pretty crazy to have payroll issues and need to be bailed out after 1 WEEK. this is not a great sign.

I still haven't watched any of the games but I plan to check one out when I have a chance.

Kneeneighbor
February 19th, 2019, 10:20 AM
I was not able to watch anything live as I was working tournaments the last two weekends but I did watch replays of games on Saturday night after I got home and was winding down with a drink.

Needing some cash week 1 doesnt scare me. They probably thought they would have more cash on hand to turn around quicker and it just wasnt liquid enough.

soxfanatic
February 19th, 2019, 6:25 PM
I don't know how things will work out when there are two more leagues rolling out next year, the XFL and the FFL.

Kneeneighbor
February 20th, 2019, 12:40 AM
The big move by AAF was signing everyone to 3 year deals. They will have a lot of the talent signed before the other leagues start.

Kneeneighbor
February 25th, 2019, 12:22 AM
I was able to watch a few games this weekend. Solid games. Orlando and Birmingham both look solid and are doing it in different ways.

hithit
February 25th, 2019, 12:53 AM
It is insulting the teams are in fair weather cities. Why no northern love?

Unless they’re playing in domes it would be rather silly to have teams in the north. Way toooooooo cold up here right now.

Kneeneighbor
February 25th, 2019, 1:07 AM
Fargo Dome would be a good host for a team in the North. Seats 19,000 for football and a pro sport in ND would go over huge. Plus they are not super far from some big MN cities.

Randolph
February 25th, 2019, 1:15 AM
Unless they’re playing in domes it would be rather silly to have teams in the north. Way toooooooo cold up here right now.

Detroit, Minnesota, Indianapolis and others have domes. Smaller cities around here have domes for hockey, basketball, and football teams. It's the same crap I hear when southern college teams get the home field advantage during bowl season.

Fro
February 25th, 2019, 2:29 PM
An interesting tidbit from Darren Rovell:

Exhibit in lawsuit shows that AAF originally planned to use XFL name & purchase assets from WWE & NBC for $50M. AAF met with Vince McMahon and he decided to start league on his own.

I'm curious why the name would even be worth $50M after the league failed so badly. If Vince could have gotten $50M for the name XFL I would have taken it in a heartbeat. I was somewhat surprised Vince didn't go with a brand new name, I mean why associate your new league with a previous failed league especially when "Xtreme Football League" is a somewhat cheesy, early 2000s sounding name.

Anyway, it's interesting to learn that this could be why the two leagues started up so close to each other. This makes it seem that Vince only got back in the ring when he learned someone else was doing the same.

Fro
March 27th, 2019, 2:46 PM
AAF in jeopardy of folding, says majority owner (https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2019/03/27/alliance-of-american-football-aaf-tom-dundon-future-nflpa/3287922002/)

He said he expects to make a decision in the next few days. So this league might be over before the first Championship is even played. Yikes.

Kneeneighbor
March 28th, 2019, 9:58 AM
https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/627/803/7803627.gif

BGMaverick
March 28th, 2019, 11:43 AM
Isn't the impetus of Vince making the XFL based off what Fro linked? The fact the creators of the AAF wanted IP of the XFL sparked Vince's renewed interest. More or less...Well, if someone wants to buy this and they're starting a league, there must be an interest in it and I want to make up for my screw up.

If the AAF folds before the XFL even gets going, isn't this like an internal win of some small scale? Granted its extremely minor, but it was seen as a competitor in Vince's eyes, I imagine.

Kneeneighbor
March 29th, 2019, 2:06 PM
That is my point. Vince promoted the fact that they were going to take an extra year to get everything right instead of rushing out a project. A win for him.

soxfanatic
March 29th, 2019, 5:00 PM
Let's wait and see if the XFL will last longer than it did the first time around.

Randolph
March 29th, 2019, 5:43 PM
I really hope this league survives. There are plenty of NFL castoffs to work with, so why do they need rookies? They have lots of guys who were on practice squads or were preseason cuts, and this gives them a second chance. I got imagine it would be easier to get back on an NFL roster from here than it does in the Arena league or Canada.

They can help players rehabilitate their careers, learn from old pros and coaches, and can make smaller money here. Sounds like a minor league to me.

Morrison
March 29th, 2019, 9:12 PM
i'm guessing acting as a development league for the NFL comes with some kind of financial compensation.

Fro
April 2nd, 2019, 12:59 PM
Reports are coming out that the AAF will shut down operations today. It was good while it lasted! (Actually I'm not sure if it was, I never watched a game).

I didn't wish failure on the AAF but at least we will have clarity for the XFL, meaning they won't have to compete with AAF for players and whatnot. It's their turn now.

It's a win for Vince in that sense, and he can hopefully learn from the AAF's failure, but on the other hand doesn't the failure of the AAF also spell doom for the XFL since it's a similar idea? I mean Vince can fund it as long as he wants to spend his money on it. Does he take losses for several years in hopes that one day the league will be valuable?

He just sold another $250 million in WWE stock to put into this new company.

Fro
April 2nd, 2019, 1:13 PM
@darrenrovell
Sources: The AAF will suspend all football operations today. New owner Tom Dundon will lose approximately $70 million on his investment. Dundon makes decision against wishes of league co-founders Charlie Ebersol and Bill Polian.

Dude invested like 2 weeks ago and lost $70 million. ouch (I know he's a billionaire but still)

Kneeneighbor
April 2nd, 2019, 1:18 PM
Reports are coming out that the AAF will shut down operations today. It was good while it lasted! (Actually I'm not sure if it was, I never watched a game).

I didn't wish failure on the AAF but at least we will have clarity for the XFL, meaning they won't have to compete with AAF for players and whatnot. It's their turn now.

It's a win for Vince in that sense, and he can hopefully learn from the AAF's failure, but on the other hand doesn't the failure of the AAF also spell doom for the XFL since it's a similar idea? I mean Vince can fund it as long as he wants to spend his money on it. Does he take losses for several years in hopes that one day the league will be valuable?

He just sold another $250 million in WWE stock to put into this new company.

I think the difference is that Vince is taking 2 full years to get everything up and running and setting up the sponsorship and funding they needed. I think they still have a shot to be viable.

Kneeneighbor
April 2nd, 2019, 1:21 PM
Also big surprise to me, they have a prime time TV slot this weekend in front of the Final Four games. Surprised they were not going to let it ride one more week.

In fact I could see someone taking a shot at floating them some money seeing as the heads of the league want to keep it going. Sounds like this was a Dudnon decision all the way.

Matthew
April 2nd, 2019, 1:22 PM
who was the aaf mvp

Kneeneighbor
April 2nd, 2019, 1:30 PM
Garrett Gilbert QB Orlando 2152 yards (next closest was 1616) 13 Tds 3 Int

Trent Richardson RB Birmingham 366 yards 11 rushing Tds (next closest was 6), 1 rec Td But only 2.9 yards a carry

They were in very very different styles of offenses. Birmingham was very very good defensively and had no QB so they pounded the ball and chewed clock a lot. Orlando had Spurrier as coach so they threw it all over the yard.

My vote would be Gilbert, especially since his team was 7-1

Matthew
April 3rd, 2019, 12:08 PM
thank you.

trent richardson sucks

Kneeneighbor
April 3rd, 2019, 12:12 PM
He was the Leroy Hoard of the AAF. If you need a yard he will get you 3. If you need 6 yards he will get you 3.