PDA

View Full Version : Rank the mainline Mario games.

RuneEdge
February 6th, 2018, 12:38 PM
I saw a list on polygon.com, and they ranked the Mario games as follows:

18: Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (Famicom Disk System, 1996)
17: New Super Mario Bros. (DS, 2006)
16: Super Mario Sunshine (GameCube, 2002)
15: Super Mario Land (Game Boy, 1989)
14: New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS, 2012)
13: Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES, 1988)
12: Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins (Game Boy, 1992)
11: Super Mario 64 (Nintendo 64, 1996)
10: New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii, 2010)
9: Super Mario 3D Land (3DS, 2011)
8: Super Mario Bros. (NES, 1985)
7: Super Mario Galaxy (Wii, 2007)
6: Super Mario World (Super NES, 1991)
5: Super Mario 3D World (Wii U, 2013)
4: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii, 2010)
3: Super Mario Odyssey (Switch, 2017)
2: Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES, 1990)
1: New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U, 2012)

https://www.polygon.com/features/2017/11/8/16621744/the-best-mario-games

A very debatable list. They give their reasoning for each one in that link, but some of the choices sounded crazy to me. For some reason I assumed it would've been universally accepted that Mario 64 and Mario World would be ranked much higher. So I'm now interested to know how others would rank them. Mario Bros 3 over Mario World? :no:
Where would you put them?

JP
February 6th, 2018, 12:53 PM
64 at 11 is fucking criminal.

Simon
February 6th, 2018, 12:56 PM
Can only go by the ones I've played, but I would say...

1. Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins
2. Super Mario World
3. Super Mario Bros 3
4. Super Mario Land
5. Super Mario Bros
6. Super Mario Bros 2
7. Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels

I'm not sure I've ever enjoyed a game as much as I did as a seven year old playing Six Golden Coins on my Game Boy, Utterly engrossed, I lived in that world. Same with Mario World to an extent...loved the innovations of Mario Bros 3 as well, with the various suits you could get. Am I right in thinking the weird changes made in Mario Bros 2 were because it was actually a re-skinned version of a different game? It never quite felt right jumping on things and neither them nor you getting killed.

RuneEdge
February 6th, 2018, 12:57 PM
Yeah, Mario Bros 2 was a Doki Doki Panic but reskinned.

Donald
February 6th, 2018, 1:02 PM
Damn man, Super Mario World 2 Yoshi's Island is my favorite.

BigAl
February 6th, 2018, 1:26 PM
Super Mario Bros. 3 is my all time favorite game. Not just favorite Mario game, but favorite game ever.

Ever see The Wizard? Terrible flick but it has Super Mario Bros. 3 in it. That's where I saw it played for the first time when I was 7 and knew I needed to play it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TscjsNMvnDg

Fro
February 6th, 2018, 1:27 PM
Haven't played Odyssey but my top two would be:

1. Super Mario Brothers 3
2. Super Mario 64

After that it gets tough.

Simon
February 6th, 2018, 2:16 PM
Am I alone in really not liking 64? I never enjoyed the graphics, which tried to add a touch of reality to the beautiful cartoon graphics of the SNES version. It's a problem I had with N64 in general - games trying to make use of the improved capability to go for more realistic looking worlds, but the technology wasn't quite there yet, so we went from gorgeous, colourful cartoony games on the SNES and Mega Drive to slightly shoddy, boxy look of PS1 and N64.

Fro
February 6th, 2018, 2:49 PM
Am I alone in really not liking 64? I never enjoyed the graphics, which tried to add a touch of reality to the beautiful cartoon graphics of the SNES version. It's a problem I had with N64 in general - games trying to make use of the improved capability to go for more realistic looking worlds, but the technology wasn't quite there yet, so we went from gorgeous, colourful cartoony games on the SNES and Mega Drive to slightly shoddy, boxy look of PS1 and N64.

It was boxy and it hasn't aged super well due to graphical kinks but it rocked my world so hard when it came out and the level design was superb.

Donald
February 6th, 2018, 3:14 PM
I really enjoyed Conker's Bad Fur Day and the THQ wrestling games.

Hero!
February 6th, 2018, 3:34 PM
Ill do a top 10:

1. Super Mario Bros
2. Mario 64
3. Super Mario Bros 3
4. Super Mario Galaxy
5. Sunshine (fuck da hataz)
6. Super Mario Land
7. Super Mario Bros 2
8. New Super Mario bros DS
9. Marioland 3: WarioLand
10. Super Mario World

A lot of this is based on my nostalgia and how much time I invested in some of these games. SMB i've played for hundreds and hundreds of hours, so it's just the best game to me. Never played wii u or odyssey, but I'd like to play both.

JP
February 6th, 2018, 3:48 PM

I will find you, I will cut you. Deep.

The techonology wasn't there yet? What? I mean, what?

I'm off to pub quiz, when I'm back, school is in session.

LOCONUT
February 6th, 2018, 3:50 PM
SMB was insanely ahead of its time. Easy #1 pick. No other game has come close to giving me that feeling.

3D World is right there as well.

Simon
February 6th, 2018, 3:55 PM
I will find you, I will cut you. Deep.

The techonology wasn't there yet? What? I mean, what?

I'm off to pub quiz, when I'm back, school is in session.

Isn't it just blatantly obvious that the tech wasn't there yet graphics-wise? Mario 64 looks blocky, slightly blurry and just generally a bit crap. The move away from SNES and Mega Drive was the first time 3D was used properly (Starwing and a few others were from the previous gen but were really shit) and games likes Goldeneye were the cutting edge of that realism focus. Mario obviously wasn't going for realism per se but it was a notable move away from the cartoon 2D look, which had been perfected, and towards a 3D realism. And it looks awful by comparison. I'm not criticising, there are obvious reasons why it looked bad. I'm jist pointing that out. They went from beautiful, perfected 2D to new, unpolished, ropey 3D. That was the start of a path that has led to the gorgeous modern 3D Mario games.

Put it this way - Mario 64 looks a lot more dated than Mario World, in the same way that the classic Disney movies of the 50s and 60s look better than the early Pixar stuff, because where Mario World looks like a very good iteration of an old look, Mario 64 looks like a shoddy version of a modern look.

Fro
February 6th, 2018, 4:07 PM
Goldeneye looks like shit now too but like M64 it was so fucking brilliant for its time and therefore still extremely highly regarded.

Percussion
February 6th, 2018, 5:16 PM
64 was immense at the time. It's abject dumbshit to look back on it now as though it wasn't measuring up then.

Hero!
February 6th, 2018, 5:16 PM
SMB was insanely ahead of its time. Easy #1 pick. No other game has come close to giving me that feeling.

3D World is right there as well.

https://youtu.be/zRGRJRUWafY

Miyamoto just understands how to write a good game. This is a really cool video where he explains why he designed world 1-1 the way he did. SMB world 1-1 is just so fucking iconic and the reasoning behind the design itself is a large part of what make it such a great game

Hero!
February 6th, 2018, 5:23 PM
I’ve been playing through SM64 again since last year. It’s such a great game still. The 3D movement throughout the world, coupled with the actual play of each level having several different ways you’re supposed to beat it, plus the gameplay going from challenging to really difficult makes it great.

not to mention, the game itself is SUPER broken. I love watching speed runners find new ways to crack the game itself and beat it in more unique ways quickly. There are literally still people who play SM64 obsessively, doing crazy shit like finding the impossible coin, which the creators didn’t even think was possible:

https://youtu.be/1iwAbEXgpic

wardy
February 6th, 2018, 5:40 PM
Out of the ones I remember playing:

7. Super Mario Bros 2
6. Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels
5. Super Mario Bros
4. Super Mario Sunshine
3. Super Mario Bros 3
2. Super Mario 64
1. Super Mario World

wardy
February 6th, 2018, 5:45 PM
Mario 64 looked and played amazing at the time, and still plays amazing now. It can't be emphasised enough how revolutionary that game was at the time.

Gary J
February 6th, 2018, 5:53 PM
Haven't played Odyssey but my top two would be:

1. Super Mario Brothers 3
2. Super Mario 64

After that it gets tough.

This

wardy
February 6th, 2018, 6:16 PM
I really need to play Odyssey and the Galaxy games.

LOCONUT
February 6th, 2018, 7:42 PM
The galaxy games are bonkers

Bill Casey
February 6th, 2018, 9:18 PM
Odyssey is amazing...

Rancid_Planet
February 6th, 2018, 9:52 PM
Going to start Odyssey tonight actually so this thread feels timely.

The game that convinced me that I needed to save my allowance for a NES was Super Mario Bros. The game I rented the most as a kid was Super Mario Bros 2. SMB 3 was so hard. I think it took me longer to beat that game than any other outside of the original Dragon Warrior.

Simon, as always I'm conflicted with your opinions. On the one hand your love for Super Mario Land 2 makes me want to genuinely hug you. SML 2 is probably my most played handheld game of all time. Followed by a close second in Wario Ware. The original SML was great fun but it failed in some aspects to capture the genius of a Mario game. SML 2 on the other hand absolutely captured most everything that makes a Mario game a Mario game and I love the shit out of it.

Then you're opinion on 64. My God man. Sure it looks blocky and shitty now. But at the time it was mind blowingly good. It was the standard bearer in every fashion for in-game graphics and sound for that entire console generation.

At any rate. I think I'll try a top ten.

Fro
February 6th, 2018, 11:31 PM
Going to start Odyssey tonight actually so this thread feels timely.

The game that convinced me that I needed to save my allowance for a NES was Super Mario Bros. The game I rented the most as a kid was Super Mario Bros 2. SMB 3 was so hard. I think it took me longer to beat that game than any other outside of the original Dragon Warrior.

I find SMB1 far harder to beat than SMB3. With SMB3 at least it was pretty easy to build up extra lives and items.

Atty
February 6th, 2018, 11:32 PM
New Super Mario Bros U at number one almost made me spit my drink on my computer.

wardy
February 6th, 2018, 11:34 PM
I was playing through SMB1 on Allstars on the SNES recently and think I got stuck on world 7. No idea how folk managed this without the save feature. It is solid.

RuneEdge
February 6th, 2018, 11:36 PM
I dunno. I never thought much of Mario 64 either. But I can give my own reasoning for that. Growing up I went from NES, to SNES, to PSX, then PS2. Mario 64 to me at the time looked cool visually, but in my head seemed like it plays like any other 3d platformer I could've played on the PSX.
Having grown up on all the Mario All-Stars games previously, Mario 64 looked like too big of a departure from what I loved so I just couldnt accept it. Of course not actually being able to play Mario 64 wasn't going to help change that perception either.

Looking at Simon's list, I'd imagine he grew up with the Gameboy and Mario All-Stars on the SNES. I think its easy to not rate Mario 64 if you didn't have the console for it. The only time I got to play it was at my mates house, and usually when I came over, we were playing Goldeneye.
Speaking of the Gameboy, Mario Land 2 is very underappreciated. It was like a lite version of Super Mario World. Was also the first game to feature Wario IIRC.

RuneEdge
February 6th, 2018, 11:39 PM
Damn man, Super Mario World 2 Yoshi's Island is my favorite.

I think that would get a good ranking but it's no longer considered mainline Mario anymore. Kinda like "Wario Land - Super Mario Land 3". Both Yoshi's Island and Wario Land turned into their own series.

wardy
February 6th, 2018, 11:41 PM
Mario 64 is and always was far superior to Spyro, Rayman etc. In fact, even Banjo Kazooie is better than any of the PlayStation's efforts.

RuneEdge
February 6th, 2018, 11:54 PM
Oh yeah, for sure. Banjo Kazooie was great (personally enjoyed more than Mario 64). But I can see how people who didn't grow up with Mario 64 will not think too highly of it. If you hadn't played it yourself, it didn't look that good from a distance IMO.

Randolph
February 7th, 2018, 12:12 AM
No love for Mario Maker? I still play the shit out of that. And Super Mario World is still the pinnacle of Mario gaming. Hands down.

wardy
February 7th, 2018, 2:26 AM
Mario 64 and other games with cartoony graphics from the early 3D days have actually aged relatively well due to the fact that they're not supposed to be realistic in the first place. Compare it to the absolute state of Goldeneye, Resident Evil or Tomb Raider and it looks like a masterpiece.

LOCONUT
February 7th, 2018, 3:09 AM
Those early 3-D games are crappy in comparison to the top tier 8 bit games. Age is obviously going to play a big factor in this discussion as even just a few years difference was huge in in which Mario game you connected with most.

Morrison
February 7th, 2018, 3:13 AM
1. super mario odyssey
2. super mario world
3. super mario 64
4. super mario bros 3
5. super mario bros 2
6. super mario bros
7. super mario sunshine
8. super mario bros: the lost levels

all the other games i either never really finished or didnt play enough to leave an impression or have an opinion about. i didn't have a game boy growing up and only ever played SML2 on a friends, and i liked it, but didn't spend a ton of time with it. all of the new super mario bros games just lacked any kind of charm to draw me in, cause they just felt like rehashes and reskins. probably really wonderful rehashes and reskins, but i still didn't play them. i played a chunk of the first galaxy game a long time ago and remember liking it well enough, though it was slightly disorienting for me, but never finished it.

i said it in the galaxy thread, but that game is one of my favorites of all time. it was able to recreate the same kind of wonder and excitement that i had growing up and playing all the classic nes/snes/n64 games, and i cant think of any other game that i've played in my adult life that has come even microscopically close to wrangling those specific kinds of feelings again. it's able to capitalize on 32 years of nostalgia while not looking like a pastiche and forging it's own new weird path. i cant remember the last time a game has made me just so stupidly happy.

a lot of the following rankings are based on a lot of nostalgia and memories of growing up. super mario world means so much to me cause i immediately think of the first sleep over i ever had with my best friend and how we watched the goonies for the first time and stayed up all night playing that game. i at some point passed out and woke up to my brother and him in the valley of bowser and being like HOLY SHIT WHAT IS THIS.

mario 64 is one of those muscle memory games. i got an snes classic a couple weeks ago and was playing SMW and realized i fucking suck at it, the physics and shit take me awhile to get back in touch with. but mario 64 just feels good right away. running and diving and sliding and backflipping, it's all so easy. i came home from school one day not too long after the n64 was released and my mom had gone and rented the system along with mario 64 for my brother and i for the weekend from a local video game and movie rental store, and it was such a surprise and the game was just mind blowing. so much time put into that between my brother, myself and our friends.

the three original nes titles have less meaningful memories tied to them as i was younger. smb3 definitely had the most time sank into it, and smb2 has always ranked well for me as even back then i appreciated how weird and different it was.

sunshine i was very excited for and was the first mario game i was old enough to be like 'im getting that on release day.' i remember really loving it at the time, but it's not a game i've ever played through again. doesnt help that all the other games are readily available through rereleases on new systems or through virtual consoles. maybe the switch, if it ever gets a VC, will support gamecube games, in which case i'll definitely give it another play through.

the lost levels is something we played enough of, but didn't realize it was the real smb2, so we didn't really get what the hell was going on with it. figured it was just some extra levels from smb1 and kinda wrote it off.

Rancid_Planet
February 7th, 2018, 5:42 AM
Speaking of how a game feels when you play it.

I still remember ditching school with a friend and going to the nearest Toys R Us the day the display kiosks got set up for the N64. Mario and Pilotwings were available to play.

This was the first time I had ever played a 3D platforming game. And I FUCKING SUCKKKKED at controlling Mario. I find the controls amazing and innovative now but at first, man I couldn't even make Mario run in a straight line.

My buddy had the same problem. We both came to the conclusion that with the new generation of consoles, we were going to have to relearn how to play video games.

It was an amazing time to be a gamer. The whole world was changing.

Rancid_Planet
February 7th, 2018, 5:46 AM
I find SMB1 far harder to beat than SMB3. With SMB3 at least it was pretty easy to build up extra lives and items.

It was the repetition of SMB 1. After you played it over and over for long enough you just got good at it.

Also helps to have an older brother to show you exactly what paths to take.

Simon
February 7th, 2018, 6:13 AM
I dunno. I never thought much of Mario 64 either. But I can give my own reasoning for that. Growing up I went from NES, to SNES, to PSX, then PS2. Mario 64 to me at the time looked cool visually, but in my head seemed like it plays like any other 3d platformer I could've played on the PSX.
Having grown up on all the Mario All-Stars games previously, Mario 64 looked like too big of a departure from what I loved so I just couldnt accept it. Of course not actually being able to play Mario 64 wasn't going to help change that perception either.

Looking at Simon's list, I'd imagine he grew up with the Gameboy and Mario All-Stars on the SNES. I think its easy to not rate Mario 64 if you didn't have the console for it. The only time I got to play it was at my mates house, and usually when I came over, we were playing Goldeneye.
Speaking of the Gameboy, Mario Land 2 is very underappreciated. It was like a lite version of Super Mario World. Was also the first game to feature Wario IIRC.

Yeah all this is true - went from SNES to PSX and didn't like the departure of style for the Mario game.

JP
February 7th, 2018, 8:17 AM
Other people have skimmed over what I want to say, if I get time I'll put my ultra nerd hat on and let loose (what a band).

But just quickly, if anybody has played the PSX platformers, then Mario 64, and think they're on the same level, they should probably be banned from playing any sort of video game ever on the charge of No. Even the Crash Bandicoot series, while fun, is incredibly limited in comparison.

Hero!
February 7th, 2018, 8:21 AM
I started with N64 and Gameboy (pocket), so Super Mario Land, warioland, and Mario 64 were the games I played non-stop for like my entire first year gaming. Hell, I didn't get a playstation till 2002 and I inherited a nice game collection from a neighbor. So, I grew up a big nintendo guy and then went back and played all the playstation games when I was already a bit older. So, just like the homie Wardy, I gotta say Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie > Spyro & Rayman even though I do enjoy the latter. I was just an N64 kid first, so those games are the ones I remember more fondly.

Also games like Super Mario Bros 3 I played when I was much older, so i don't have that same childhood nostalgia for it, but I do think it's a really great game and still rank it highly.

wardy
February 7th, 2018, 8:24 AM
I may be slightly biased but the N64 pissed all over the PS1 and then shat on its face as well.

Hero!
February 7th, 2018, 8:28 AM
keep going, it really turns me on.

RuneEdge
February 7th, 2018, 8:38 AM
I may be slightly biased but the N64 pissed all over the PS1 and then shat on its face as well.
Personally I'd take Final Fantasy 7, 8, and 9 over the whole N64 library combined. But that's just me.

JP
February 7th, 2018, 8:51 AM
Personally I'd take Final Fantasy 7, 8, and 9 over the whole N64 library combined. But that's just me.

If you had 7 and 9 I'd grudgingly accept. But 8? Drawathon 5000? Get out.

RuneEdge
February 7th, 2018, 8:52 AM

I just threw that one in there with the other two. I havent even played it past the first disc. :lol:

Simon
February 7th, 2018, 8:54 AM
FF7 was fucking incredible. I've never dared to watch the movie in case it's so shit it ruins my memories of the game.

RuneEdge
February 7th, 2018, 8:57 AM
The movie was great. You wont be disappointed.

EDIT
Assuming you're referring to Advent Children.

wardy
February 7th, 2018, 9:02 AM
I'll give you Final Fantasy 7, Metal Gear Solid and maybe Tekken 3 but that's your lot. N64 had so many GOAT's and gamechangers: Mario, Mario Kart, Goldeneye, Zelda, the wrestling games...

RuneEdge
February 7th, 2018, 9:08 AM
So, just like the homie Wardy, I gotta say Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie > Spyro & Rayman even though I do enjoy the latter. I was just an N64 kid first, so those games are the ones I remember more fondly.
Just to be clear on my part, I'd never consider the PSX platformers anywhere close to the quality of Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie. Its just that growing up with a PSX, I never looked over to the N64 and felt I was missing out. Which meant I never got to experience Mario 64 during its time and appreciate what it was. Even now, I currently own an N64 that I bought off eBay a couple of years ago, and the only three games I have on it are Zelda OoT, Goldeneye, and No Mercy.
Which actually reminds me, No Mercy was the only game that made me want an N64. My neighbour had it, and I'd nag him to let me borrow his console and game. Going as far as offering him my PSX, a dozen games, my Gameboy, etc, just to convince him. Still quite embarrassed about how desperately I'd beg him for it.

RuneEdge
February 7th, 2018, 9:22 AM
I'll give you Final Fantasy 7, Metal Gear Solid and maybe Tekken 3 but that's your lot. N64 had so many GOAT's and gamechangers: Mario, Mario Kart, Goldeneye, Zelda, the wrestling games...
I know this is biased because its based purely on my preferences but all of the following make a far better selection of games IMO:

Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9
Metal Gear Solid
Tekken 3
Castlevania : SOTN
Resident Evil 1, 2, 3
Smackdown 1, 2
5 Tomb Raider games
Crash Team Racing

And as an RPG fan, the PSX had hands down the best selection of any console ever.

Chrono Cross
Chrono Trigger port
Final Fantasy 4, 5 ,6 ports
Xenogears
Vagrant Story
Legend of Mana
Breath of Fire 3, 4
Suikoden 1, 2
Parasite Eve 1, 2
And those are just the more well known games.

JP
February 7th, 2018, 9:26 AM
I know this is biased because its based purely on my preferences but all of the following make a far better selection of games IMO:

Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9
Metal Gear Solid
Tekken 3
Castlevania : SOTN
Resident Evil 1, 2, 3
Smackdown 1, 2
5 Tomb Raider games
Crash Team Racing

And as an RPG fan, the PSX had hands down the best selection of any console ever.

Chrono Cross
Chrono Trigger port
Final Fantasy 4, 5 ,6 ports
Xenogears
Vagrant Story
Legend of Mana
Breath of Fire 3, 4
Suikoden 1, 2
Parasite Eve 1, 2
And those are just the more well known games.

Bab, you just said you never played past the first disc of FF8. How are we supposed to take this list seriously when you've included it on there?

wardy
February 7th, 2018, 9:29 AM
Crash Team Racing although good, is a Mario Kart clone and while those early Smackdown games were fun, the gameplay in No Mercy etc (IMO) was far superior. I'll give you Tomb Raider for being innovative/influential even though I think those games are utter shit.

RuneEdge
February 7th, 2018, 9:31 AM
Because I'm listing it as a group. For example, I think No Mercy is better than the Smackdown games, but that's not taking anything away from Smackdown. If you're comparing the game individually then things might be different, but if I had to choose between the PSX selection and the N64 one, I'm going with the PSX games.

Nash Diesel
February 7th, 2018, 12:08 PM
I feel like I'm one of the last people to know about this aspect of Super Mario Bros 2. I knew about Lost Levels obviously from playing Mario All Stars back on the Super NES (which I also have for the Wii). I had no clue about this other game that they basically changed the characters to Mario characters and bickity fuckin bam snoogins here's one of my favorite games ever. Check it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EUYSN5aFcE

RuneEdge
February 7th, 2018, 12:34 PM
TBH, that's one of those "did you know?" facts that's brought up so often that most people know now. Simon mentions it near the start of the thread.

Psycho666Soldier
February 7th, 2018, 1:16 PM

I hear an angry Cewsh stirring...

JP
February 7th, 2018, 1:36 PM
We'll have to wait until he's drawn enough of the spell Effective Reply. If it's anything like the game we should expect his response sometime in June.

Atty
February 7th, 2018, 3:33 PM
That soon?

Cewsh
February 7th, 2018, 3:35 PM
I was summoned here. The summons took 20 minutes but it was fucking gorgeous and I spent the whole time boosting like mad.

You literally do not need to use the draw function more than 10 times in the game. If you’re doing it more you are playing the game wrong.

Jarrod1983
February 7th, 2018, 6:09 PM
Super Mario Bros. 3 is my all time favorite game. Not just favorite Mario game, but favorite game ever.

Ever see The Wizard? Terrible flick but it has Super Mario Bros. 3 in it. That's where I saw it played for the first time when I was 7 and knew I needed to play it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TscjsNMvnDg

Maybe I have Nostalgia Goggles on but I loved The Wizard growing up.

3 and World are tops. The Summer of 90 or 91 (can't quite remember which) was sucked up by 3.

I really enjoyed Legend of Seven Stars on Super NES. Not as good as 3 or World but on a enjoyment level I thought it was fun. Just needed more Luigi!

JP
February 7th, 2018, 7:50 PM
I was summoned here. The summons took 20 minutes but it was fucking gorgeous and I spent the whole time boosting like mad.

You literally do not need to use the draw function more than 10 times in the game. If you’re doing it more you are playing the game wrong.

Actually, you'd be playing the game it was intended to be played. The fewest fights possible and selective draw tactic was something they missed in production. Another reason why this shitty game is shitty as shitty shit*.

*actually quite like it, just not anywhere near as good as 7 or 9

Psycho666Soldier
February 9th, 2018, 5:54 PM
For the ones I've played, I think it'd go something like this:

1) Super Mario Bros. 3
2) Super Mario World
3) Super Mario Galaxy 2
4) Super Mario 64
5) New Super Mario Bros. Wii
6) Super Mario Bros. 2(The Doki Doki Panic one)
7) Super Mario Galaxy
8) Super Mario Bros.
9) The Lost Levels
10) Super Mario Sunshine

I trust the other New Super Mario Bros. games are pretty worth high rankings, and I've heard excellent things about 3D Worlds(and, of course, Odyssey). Never had the privilege of playing the Land games. But I don't think you can have a Top 5 without SMB 3, World, 64, and Galaxy 2. Those were benchmark Mario games that truly lifted the bar. Galaxy 2 was a pleasant surprise after the fun, but unsatisfying first Galaxy. Just a much more full game and the first game that felt like a proper new 3D Mario since Mario 64.

If they counted, Yoshi's Island would probably be my #3 and Super Mario RPG would be my #2.

Hero!
February 9th, 2018, 6:54 PM
Mario RPG is so stupidly good

Randolph
February 9th, 2018, 7:43 PM
I remember playing RPG when I was younger. I rented it and was completely confused on what the he'll it was. I stopped playing after 20 minutes and have never picked up a game like it ever again.

Psycho666Soldier
February 9th, 2018, 7:47 PM
Fuck, if I were to include the Paper Mario games, the list would get messy... As a separeate experiement, if I were to rank the side games(not including sports or Mario Parties), It'd probably be...

1) Super Mario RPG
2) Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
3) Paper Mario: Thousand-Year Door
4) Paper Mario
5) Luigi's Mansion
6) Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story

I might be stretching with Luigi's Mansion, but I think the only other Mario series you could include that I ignored would maybe be Wario Land and Super Princess Peach. Maybe the Yoshi games.

Hero!
February 9th, 2018, 8:35 PM
Paper Mario is the unofficial successor to RPG and it’s also fantastic. I remember seeing this in Game Informer or one of those magazines and being hyped:

https://n64squid.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/paper-mario-cutout.jpg

i finally played Luigi’s Mansion last year and never finished it. Ended up selling it since that game goes for a nice chunk of change these days.

really hoping they do a GameCube vc for the Switchand I can really play through it

Atty
February 9th, 2018, 8:46 PM
I want so many GameCube games on the Switch.

Luigi's Mansion and Sunshine would be instant buys for me.

Badger
February 9th, 2018, 10:14 PM
Does Mario Kart count?

Haven't played them all, but Mario 2 is no doubt the worst I've played. Defeat a shitty baddie with vegetables plus thecwhole thing was a bloody dream!

Mario 3 was boss though, and the Lost Levels.

Jarrod1983
February 9th, 2018, 11:37 PM
Paper Mario is the unofficial successor to RPG and it’s also fantastic. I remember seeing this in Game Informer or one of those magazines and being hyped:

i finally played Luigi’s Mansion last year and never finished it. Ended up selling it since that game goes for a nice chunk of change these days.

really hoping they do a GameCube vc for the Switchand I can really play through it

Love both RPG and Paper. I literally spent hours exploring every nook and cranny in RPG. Loved staying in the honeymoon suite extra days with no money and then having to work off my debt by being a bellhop. So many fun little things in that game. I still have my original Super NES cartridge complete with box and booklet.

Rancid_Planet
February 9th, 2018, 11:54 PM

You didn't finish Luigi's Mansion?

You didn't have a whole 25 minutes to spare?

I loved what I played of Mario RPG. I got to the point where you have to beat the dojo master old man guy and he was so far ahead of where I was. And I just couldn't stomach leveling up even more.

I have beaten very few rpgs.

Never played the original Paper but I have played thousand year door and OMG that game is the fucking bee's knees.

Psycho666Soldier
February 10th, 2018, 12:05 AM

I loved what I played of Mario RPG. I got to the point where you have to beat the dojo master old man guy and he was so far ahead of where I was. And I just couldn't stomach leveling up even more.

Never played the original Paper but I have played thousand year door and OMG that game is the fucking bee's knees.

The Original Paper is just as good. Thousand Year Door just happens to be just as good with even more content.

I also enjoyed what I played of Super Paper Mario, but I was disappointed it wasn't a traditional RPG.

Hero!
February 10th, 2018, 10:21 AM

No lie, my wife went into labor that day. I had been playing mario64 all morning and then tossed in Luigi’s Mansion. Ended up leaving for the hospital at 7pm and then i didn’t touch the game again till I sold it a few months later.

in short, don’t have kids if you wanna finish your video games.

RuneEdge
February 10th, 2018, 10:40 AM
I still have my original Super NES cartridge complete with box and booklet.
Can only imagine what that's worth today. Never was able to get a cheap copy off of eBay. And this was looking over a decade ago when some of these SNES games were still relatively cheap. I managed to get a fully boxed (in good condition with booklets and everything) copy of Final Fantasy III (6 as its known today), Chrono Trigger, and Terranigma. All three for less than half the price they're worth today. In hindsight I was a bit annoyed with myself for not paying a little extra for Mario RPG, since its worth much more today.

EDIT
Looking on eBay right now, it seems like they aren't worth as much as they once did. Probably because of all the repros people make and sell these days.

Jarrod1983
February 10th, 2018, 11:41 AM

The Dojo master was tough. If you unlock the secret door in Monster town you get the toughest battle in the game with the Alien and the Crystals. That one took a couple trys for me.

Rancid_Planet
February 11th, 2018, 1:14 AM
No lie, my wife went into labor that day. I had been playing mario64 all morning and then tossed in Luigi’s Mansion. Ended up leaving for the hospital at 7pm and then i didn’t touch the game again till I sold it a few months later.

Truer words never typed.

Atty
February 11th, 2018, 1:51 AM

Glad that I have my priorities straight.

Rancid_Planet
February 11th, 2018, 10:42 PM
I'd have done a top ten list by now but Mario Odyssey has sucked me in by my soul and won't let go.

Soooo much to do.

Psycho666Soldier
February 12th, 2018, 4:02 AM
I'd have done a top ten list by now but Mario Odyssey has sucked me in by my soul and won't let go.

Soooo much to do.

So Odyssey is your list.