PDA

View Full Version : Michael Elgin Situation

Psycho666Soldier
December 10th, 2017, 3:00 AM
Not sure how well this is known as it seems to be lightly documented on the internet, but there's been a stir over Elgin being connected to a sexual assault allegation. A woman accused one of his students of sexual assault that happened in March. The dude was released from Glory Pro(Elgin's promotion for his students) last month with no explanation, then this all bubbles up. Apparently it led to the lady posting a bunch of PM's on Twitter between her and Elgin, Elgin claims he's selling Glory Pro, deleted his Twitter account, and has been taken off multiple indy bookings. Based off comments and a potentially fake Elgin twitter account, Elgin said or did some things that were not cool during this exchange, but other than that, it seems the main thing he's being accused of is trying to cover up the incident.

This article seems to have the most complete story: https://www.pwtorch.com/site/2017/12/06/michael-elgin-accused-mishandling-sexual-assault-claim-former-student-several-independent-companies-cancel-elgin-upcoming-events/

Not really sure what to make of this, especially since none of the exchanges are still online, so I can't judge based on what actually happened. I would like to think Elgin covering up the story was more him trying to quell the situation without drama or involving any lawsuits, but this doesn't look good for him on the surface. I wonder if this affects his job with NJPW?

Beer-Belly
December 10th, 2017, 3:27 AM
I still can't figure out the whole story, but I read the exchanges on Reddit and Elgin comes off like a scummy idiot. I've never really given a shit about the guy, though.

Apparently New Japan don't plan on renewing his contract once it ends in a few months.

Psycho666Soldier
December 10th, 2017, 3:35 AM
Probably the best way to handle it. You can still get more performances out of him for the money you're contractually obligated to pay him, and I don't know how quickly/powerfully this news influences Japanese views of him. I always went back and forth on Elgin. Loved him when I first saw him in ROH, got sick of him when he went babyface, then went back to loving him once he turned everything up in New Japan. It's a shame to hear he comes off like a scummy idiot, but I'm not really too surprised. I remembered seeing a clip of his old Youtube show and he was talking about he or his friend pissing on some chick during some party. The circumstance made it seem like the people involved were all cool with that kind of behavior, but the way he talked about it gave me the vibes of a muscle-bound douchebag. His recent off-camera persona made me think better of him until this, though.

Kind of a shame as I had a ticket to see Glory Pro in February. Naito was supposed to wrestle AR Fox. Now with him supposedly selling it, who knows what happens to that show, let alone the promotion and all those students. It must suck to be in that position and not know what you're future will be, whether you'll need to find another school or pay more with new ownership.

mr sabu
December 10th, 2017, 3:40 AM
only thing i like about elgin is his wife

Sasori
December 11th, 2017, 6:11 PM
This sucks. Elgin is a beast in the ring and I've really enjoyed his run in New Japan. Felt like he could accomplish bigger things. Sad to hear that he might be a scumbag and/or covering up a sexual assault incident :cry: If he's guilty, he should be exposed.

Jordo
December 11th, 2017, 6:17 PM
Fucking hell I also have tickets to see Naito. What a fucking scumbag if true.