PDA

View Full Version : World Cup 2018

Pages : [1] 2 3

Simon
December 1st, 2017, 11:20 AM
Draw is about to happen. Or it will after the usual bloated bollocks - according to the BBC website, "Nuno Bettencourt - shredder from Extreme back in the day - is on stage playing a pop ballad as a boy performs kick-ups and backflips."

Russia seems like the plum draw for pot 1 (they're the lowest ranked team in the entire tournament), I suppose it depends on how many England fans you're willing to see slain in order to get a win. Any less than 50 and I'd take it, any more than 100 and the deal's off.

HHHnFoley_Rulez
December 1st, 2017, 11:34 AM
Off to a flyer, the old bloke to the left knocks everything over and can't open a ball, Banks to the right.. can't open a ball... it's going to be a long draw!

HHHnFoley_Rulez
December 1st, 2017, 11:47 AM
Thank fuck we dodged Iceland!

MikeHunt
December 1st, 2017, 11:57 AM
Group D and F are bloody good.

England should easily get through that group.

MikeHunt
December 1st, 2017, 11:59 AM
Maradona looking like a fucking ventriloquists dummy.

Beefy
December 1st, 2017, 12:56 PM
Group D and F are bloody good.

England should easily get through that group.

Yep, those two stood out to me. I've a feeling F is going to be tremendous fun.

I've a wedding the day of England vs Belgium so hopefully it's a 0-0 dead-rubber.

Beefy
December 1st, 2017, 12:57 PM
Who the fuck gets married in June or July of an even-numbered year? The guy is one of my closest mates who I always watch the matches with ffs.

JP
December 1st, 2017, 2:57 PM
That has the potential of being an incredibly kind draw.

If you presume Brazil and Germany win their respective groups, if we do the same we're looking at the probability of facing France in the quarters.

And then losing on penalties, obvs.

MikeHunt
December 1st, 2017, 4:02 PM
God the media coverage of this is already absolutely gross.

Englands routes to the final planned out from winning the group on sky!

Fucking hell.

Beefy
December 2nd, 2017, 1:10 PM
What's wrong with that?

Simon
December 2nd, 2017, 1:40 PM
Literally every team's media will be doing that, it's just fantasy booking. Mike having to get ever more desperate to dig out England with Scotland about as likely to play at a World Cup as I am.

MikeHunt
December 2nd, 2017, 1:57 PM
What's wrong with that?

well the tone was with the assumption it will happen.

Topping the group no less.

MikeHunt
December 2nd, 2017, 1:57 PM
Literally every team's media will be doing that, it's just fantasy booking. Mike having to get ever more desperate to dig out England with Scotland about as likely to play at a World Cup as I am.

I bet panama arent.

RFF Champ
May 28th, 2018, 4:38 PM
Saudi Arabia's two starting centre backs have the same name from what I can understand.

Simmo Fortyone
May 28th, 2018, 8:12 PM
Australia will probably lose to France, scrap out a 2-1 against Denmark thanks to an 89th minute header from substitute Tim Cahill, thus ensuring a furious and vigorous media wankfest for 4 days before we get unceremoniously pumped 4-0 by Peru and miss out on goal difference. FFA will give A-League expansion bids to South Sydney and West Brisbane and wonder why no one attends their games, while Wellington fold and forfeit all their games post-November. Pre-game coverage consists of a full hour of Craig Foster and Lucy Zelic calling David Gallop mean names, while Ben Buckley dies from schadenfreude.

Torn
May 28th, 2018, 8:56 PM
Denmark are going to absolutely hammer you

Simmo Fortyone
May 28th, 2018, 9:36 PM
Let me dream

Percussion
May 28th, 2018, 11:15 PM
This no team thing sucks.

RFF Champ
June 2nd, 2018, 4:52 PM
Can't wait to see how Daniel Arzani gets on for Australia.

RFF Champ
June 3rd, 2018, 1:12 PM
Shout out to Michael O'Neill playing six defenders in a friendly away to Costa Rica.

son_of_foley
June 3rd, 2018, 2:57 PM
Behave you know the squad he has to work with for this game

Peter Griffin
June 3rd, 2018, 4:34 PM
Wall chart up, Lets fucking do this :panic:

:shifty:

RFF Champ
June 4th, 2018, 2:06 AM
Behave you know the squad he has to work with for this game

Nah, I can't have it. It's utterly pointless, nothing learned nothing gained. He said it was good experience for his young players yet his two most interesting sat on the bench.

Peter Griffin
June 4th, 2018, 6:04 AM
Sane left out the Germany squad.

son_of_foley
June 4th, 2018, 6:33 AM
Nah, I can't have it. It's utterly pointless, nothing learned nothing gained. He said it was good experience for his young players yet his two most interesting sat on the bench.

They've been away for the week with everyone training in Panama and then there. They know how to play football Alex 15 minutes when 3-0 down in Costa Rica probably won't enrich their lives much. He knows what he's doing

RFF Champ
June 4th, 2018, 7:21 AM
They've been away for the week with everyone training in Panama and then there. They know how to play football Alex 15 minutes when 3-0 down in Costa Rica probably won't enrich their lives much. He knows what he's doing

The attacking substitutions chasing the game in a World Cup playoff were a 22 year old making his international debut and Paddy McNair so that 38 year old Gareth McAuley could go up front. So it's worth questioning why two of the brighter young attacking players were flown around the World to play 15 minutes between them.

JP
June 7th, 2018, 5:17 PM
We're enjoyable to watch, people seem to be hopeful but not deluded and the atmosphere surrounding the squad is as good as I've ever seen it.

Can we strive for it to be like this every time we got to a major tournament? It's much more enjoyable than the usual jingoistic, tension filled nonsense.

_me
June 11th, 2018, 7:50 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DfW1S40X0AEu7yU.jpg

Murphy
June 13th, 2018, 7:34 AM
Spain have sacked their manager. :lol:

RFF Champ
June 14th, 2018, 7:02 AM
The Phenoms documentaries produced by Fox and now on Sky are great. The England in particular.

Grimario
June 14th, 2018, 10:45 AM
Right who else am I watching this opening game with?

Murphy
June 14th, 2018, 10:47 AM
Not me. I have to watch on about a 90 minute delay.

Going to switch the radio off shortly and hope Hannah in the office doesn't moan. :D

Simon
June 14th, 2018, 10:50 AM
They should call this match the IHQ derby.

Percussion
June 14th, 2018, 11:12 AM
'Stalin had a proper 'tache.'

:lol: May have an early winner for line of the tournament.

Simon
June 14th, 2018, 11:18 AM
A GOAL FOR ALL OF HOMOPHOBIA

wardy
June 14th, 2018, 11:23 AM
These refs must be shitting their pants every time Saudi Arabia go forward.

Clive Plasma
June 14th, 2018, 11:33 AM
This commentary is so drab. Fucking hell.

Grimario
June 14th, 2018, 11:43 AM
This commentary is so drab. Fucking hell.

Who have you got?

Clive Plasma
June 14th, 2018, 11:50 AM
Glenn Hoddle and Clive Tyldesley. The only way this could be worse is if Michael Owen was somehow involved. I've put it on mute now anyway.

Grimario
June 14th, 2018, 11:51 AM
We've got Martin Tyler. We're blessed it seems.

Murphy
June 14th, 2018, 2:43 PM
5 cracking goals there. Saudi Arabia were shit.

Spending all day Saturday watching football. Can’t wait.

_me
June 14th, 2018, 6:22 PM
https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/1007257977609506817

Murphy
June 15th, 2018, 5:30 AM
Having not been too bothered during the build-up, I all of a sudden would quite like to be able to watch Egypt and Uruguay this afternoon. :D

RFF Champ
June 15th, 2018, 5:41 AM
Gareth Southgate has completed his England manager transition by playing several players out of position and selecting Ashley Young over Danny Rose because he plays for Manchester United.

Simon
June 15th, 2018, 6:41 AM
Not really. Young has played well all season, Rose has been injured for most of the season and hasn't played especially well when he's been fit. Bertrand should feel hard done by that he isn't ahead of both of them though.

Not sure what you're talking about with regard to position - with the exception of Walker, which to me is a clever bit of tactical tweaking to cover the lack of pace in the back three rather than a square peg in a round hole, who is out of position?

Murphy
June 15th, 2018, 6:53 AM
Not been impressed at all when Rose has played for Spurs this season, but I don't know if that's more down to other issues he has himself or down to issues with the club. Either way, he's hardly shown himself to be in good form.

Clive Plasma
June 15th, 2018, 7:51 AM
Been really enjoying Joel Golbys output for Vice recently...

"A Deep Dive Into The England Suit Photo"; https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/7xmmpx/a-deep-dive-into-the-england-squad-suit-photo

"Ranking Every Member of the England World Cup Squad By How Likely They Are to Eat a Worm" - https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/pavbab/ranking-every-member-of-the-england-world-cup-squad-by-how-likely-they-are-to-eat-a-worm

Beefy
June 15th, 2018, 8:09 AM
The BBC's VR coverage is insane. I've seen some clips of sports in VR before but they're really pushing the tech here. I've had way worse views from actual stadiums.

Definitely the best way to watch Egypt play football.

son_of_foley
June 15th, 2018, 8:30 AM
How you watching it? You get yourself a fancy headset?

I like Danny Murphy he has a dull as shit voice but normally has an opinion

TraXX
June 15th, 2018, 8:32 AM
Gareth Southgate has completed his England manager transition by playing several players out of position and selecting Ashley Young over Danny Rose because he plays for Manchester United.

Sorry, I must've missed today's England game. How did we do?

Beefy
June 15th, 2018, 8:50 AM
How you watching it? You get yourself a fancy headset?

I like Danny Murphy he has a dull as shit voice but normally has an opinion

I've got PSVR. Apparently it works on the cardboard sets though.

Torn
June 15th, 2018, 8:52 AM
HAMED for Egypt has been a machine.

Torn
June 15th, 2018, 8:54 AM
I've got PSVR. Apparently it works on the cardboard sets though.

The Gear VR headset came with my Galaxy S8 so I will have to try it out on that

RFF Champ
June 15th, 2018, 9:02 AM
Sorry, I must've missed today's England game. How did we do?

Oh you're one of those boring pricks that only aftertimes their opinion

Torn
June 15th, 2018, 9:12 AM
I've cursed Hamed and now Wigan's captain is on to ruin UK Blue's EFL bet

TraXX
June 15th, 2018, 11:43 AM
Oh you're one of those boring pricks that only aftertimes their opinion

Excuse me?

As far as I'm aware, Southgate hasn't released his line up for the first game. It's all just speculation at this point, including your premature bashing.

RFF Champ
June 15th, 2018, 11:56 AM
Do you froth at the mouth so much everytime the weather forecast comes on?

TraXX
June 15th, 2018, 11:58 AM
Not quite sure where the vitriol is coming from. Are you ok, Alex?

The Rosk
June 15th, 2018, 12:06 PM
He's missing clubs. We're about to win the Division One trophy and he's going to miss out.

Simon
June 15th, 2018, 12:40 PM
Alex chats so much shit.

Pablo Diablo
June 15th, 2018, 2:46 PM
DeGea doing his best to make sure Madrid don’t go after him.

RFF Champ
June 15th, 2018, 2:59 PM
Alex chats so much shit.

Bentaleb is better than Dembele

The Rosk
June 15th, 2018, 3:15 PM
What a fucking hit.

JP
June 15th, 2018, 3:48 PM
This game has been fucking amazing.

Chris
June 15th, 2018, 3:52 PM
It's been brilliant from the very beginning. Not only lived up to the hype, but completely exceeded expectations.

Badger
June 15th, 2018, 8:17 PM
Uruguay are in my work sweepoe, but was still gutted for Egypt not holding out. Suarez had a fucking howler!

Portugal and Spain seemed amazing, gutted had to work a backshift and only catch the highlights.

Peter Griffin
June 16th, 2018, 7:14 AM
VAR MY BOLLOCKS

Peter Griffin
June 16th, 2018, 7:20 AM
OHHHH MICHAEL VAN GERWEN

Torn
June 16th, 2018, 7:20 AM
That VAR decision was outrageously bad

Peter Griffin
June 16th, 2018, 7:22 AM
Lawro trending on my twitter, Wonder if it's positive feedback :chin:

HHHnFoley_Rulez
June 16th, 2018, 7:54 AM
Well Lawro was slandering VAR, so it might have been.

Grimario
June 16th, 2018, 8:10 AM
:(

Torn
June 16th, 2018, 8:20 AM
Unlucky mate. That was a big effort. Mooy was everywhere, a huge performance.

Video review needs to enforce sticking with the on field decision like the NFL if the evidence isn't clear enough to support overturning it. That was bullshit.

Pablo Diablo
June 16th, 2018, 8:32 AM
Is it the wrong decision? He clearly clipped his trailing foot. Getting a slight touch on the ball doesn't mean you get free reign to take down the attacker.

I guess you can argue the ball was out of control at that point in which case as Torn says there isn't clear enough evidence. But I don't know if I'd call it a bullshit call.

Clive Plasma
June 16th, 2018, 9:25 AM
This Iceland vs Argentina game is excellent. Very open. Hopefully a few more goals.

Is it the wrong decision? He clearly clipped his trailing foot. Getting a slight touch on the ball doesn't mean you get free reign to take down the attacker.

I guess you can argue the ball was out of control at that point in which case as Torn says there isn't clear enough evidence. But I don't know if I'd call it a bullshit call.

It's tough isn't it. He clipped him, but it was so minor, he went down like a sack of shit despite the slight touch, and the ball had already been taken quite clearly. I don't think it was a penalty.

Chris
June 16th, 2018, 1:57 PM
Enjoyable second half there. Shame Peru didn’t get anything from the game.

Pablo Diablo
June 16th, 2018, 3:59 PM
Good thing there was VAR to give them the penalty chance before he went and punted it like he was Michael Bradley.

The efficiency has been quite good so far. MLS implementation is shambles compared to this but I hear this is what it's like in Germany and Italy.

Torn
June 17th, 2018, 2:44 AM
Unreal to see a Brentford player at the World Cup. Dalsgaard had a good game too, they were defending so narrow he seemed to be tucking in helping out the CBs a lot and did well. Denmark certainly rode their luck overall mind!

Gotta watch out for bids coming in if he keeps this up :shifty:

Torn
June 17th, 2018, 2:46 AM

Yeah that's fair but I mean the bullshit part is that the refs call was overturned when people today are still trying to decide if it was a good or bad decision.

wardy
June 17th, 2018, 11:53 AM
Phil Neville is excruciating.

HHHnFoley_Rulez
June 17th, 2018, 12:50 PM
Neuer up for a corner... in the opening match. Beautiful.

Simon
June 17th, 2018, 12:58 PM
This tournament has been fantastic so far.

Pablo Diablo
June 17th, 2018, 1:17 PM
Mexico really exposed Germany on the counter. Couldn't handle their pace.

Percussion
June 17th, 2018, 1:20 PM
Odd that a well experienced German side wouldn't be prepared for that from Mexico. Bread and butter and all.

Pablo Diablo
June 17th, 2018, 4:07 PM
For some reason here in Canada we have Howard Webb in the studio and he goes over controversial ref decisions.

Just surprised he's over here on a Canadian only broadcast.

MikeHunt
June 17th, 2018, 6:39 PM
Has anyone else noticed the refs in the VAR control room wearing their strips and can anyone tell me why? it looks bloody daft.

Ringo
June 17th, 2018, 6:42 PM
It’s fantastic. I hope they’re wearing boots with studs too.

MikeHunt
June 17th, 2018, 6:43 PM
It’s fantastic. I hope they’re wearing boots with studs too.

Holding playstation controllers pretending they are playing clubs.

Dreyski
June 17th, 2018, 6:47 PM
Yeah, directive from Fifa. Dunno if they're wearing studs though.
http://www.espn.com/soccer/blog/the-toe-poke/65/post/3524029/var-officials-to-wear-full-referee-kit-at-world-cup

BBF
June 18th, 2018, 2:53 AM
We're going to win the bloody world cup lads.

Pablo Diablo
June 18th, 2018, 9:23 AM
I definitely thought get got the ball in real time. Thank god for VAR.

;)

Pablo Diablo
June 18th, 2018, 9:33 AM
Really though I'm still not sure about when the ref can stop it to check the VAR. He must have been told it was a stonewall pen because otherwise the Koreans had a good counter attack going and I thought it had to be in a neutral position to stop it.

Romford Pele
June 18th, 2018, 1:05 PM
Here we go!

Donald
June 18th, 2018, 1:15 PM
Are you boys ready for the England game? No one here at my job seems to care about the World Cup cause the TVs are off in the breakroom. I'd love to go to England one year and experience watching a game in a pub. Maybe in 2022 ;)

Simon
June 18th, 2018, 1:54 PM
I wouldn't bother. Nine times out of ten you'll just be met with a phalanx of cunts. Nine German bombers fuck off. Watch it with mates if you can.

Canuck
June 18th, 2018, 2:00 PM
It's good to see the google previewed formation was an error.

Donald
June 18th, 2018, 2:02 PM
I wouldn't bother. Nine times out of ten you'll just be met with a phalanx of cunts. Nine German bombers fuck off. Watch it with mates if you can.

I suppose I could see if there's an English style bar somewhere that I can go to. Since most of my friends are American, they think football is for sissies unfortunately.

Canuck
June 18th, 2018, 2:09 PM
Yes, but basketball and baseball are for the butch.

Donald
June 18th, 2018, 2:58 PM
It ain't those sports I hate, it's the damn handegg

Percussion
June 18th, 2018, 3:15 PM
How does one go about hating a sport?

Donald
June 18th, 2018, 3:20 PM
Same way you'd hate anything else.

Percussion
June 18th, 2018, 3:30 PM
Suppose I was asking how the hate for a random activity comes about and how it manifests.

Donald
June 18th, 2018, 3:31 PM
Guess I'm just an angry man who has issues to be addressed.

Percussion
June 18th, 2018, 3:34 PM
Of course you don't have to answer but I was just asking seeing as you brought it up.

Not a big deal.

MikeHunt
June 18th, 2018, 4:41 PM
Second half was rotten there. Deserved the win mind you. Wonder why Southgate persisted with Ali for so long?

son_of_foley
June 18th, 2018, 5:06 PM
I like Ali a lot but I genuinely think Reuben Loftus Cheek might be the better player

_me
June 18th, 2018, 7:03 PM
Personally, I thought Lingard was worse than Dele. Or at least he wasted more chances. But I suppose that also means he was creating them too…

Pablo Diablo
June 18th, 2018, 7:35 PM
England deserved that win because of the shambles of VAR not being used or ignored with the spear tackle on Kane.

Percussion
June 18th, 2018, 11:24 PM
Opening match win over Tunisia..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYx9FVMoKp8

..would love to see the reaction to a championship game winner.

Torn
June 19th, 2018, 12:14 AM
Second half was rotten there. Deserved the win mind you. Wonder why Southgate persisted with Ali for so long?

I like Ali a lot but I genuinely think Reuben Loftus Cheek might be the better player

Yeah not sure why he kept Alli on for so long, he was playing well first 20 minutes before he got some random injury and was poor after that. RLC is a lovely footballer and played really well when he came on. Pushing to start you'd think.

Personally, I thought Lingard was worse than Dele. Or at least he wasted more chances. But I suppose that also means he was creating them too…

Lingard was fine, unlucky not to score, played well to get into so many dangerous scoring positions and caused real problems with his movement. On another day he buries the shots he missed.

Young being unable to cross on his left foot causes some of our attacks to fizzle out when he either is forced to cross badly or slows it down to cut back on his right especially when compared to the excellent Trippier on the other side.

Thought Henderson played well. Rashford looks like a much more comfortable fit for this formation than Sterling.

Tunisia took the piss with a weak ref, horrible team, it's like playing against Karanka's Boro with less talent. It's hard to play against such a negative side when the ref lets them get away with so much. We played well enough to win convincingly and with slightly more luck and a stronger ref we would have done so. Nice to feel positive after a solid performance in a tournament game!

Torn
June 19th, 2018, 12:23 AM
Not sure how Harry Maguire has gone from a pretty awful immobile League One lump who would consistently get torn apart by Clayton Donaldson because he had the turning circle of an oil tanker to playing very well in a World Cup for England but sof said he liked him years ago when I was adamant he was garbage so fair play (thought Tarkowski was better back then and STILL DO)

BBF
June 19th, 2018, 2:03 AM
I think RLC has to start the Panama game. We're going to beat them whatever team we set out, its a dead rubber. That Kane goal last night effectively put us through to the knockouts.

BBF
June 19th, 2018, 2:09 AM
Not sure how Harry Maguire has gone from a pretty awful immobile League One lump who would consistently get torn apart by Clayton Donaldson because he had the turning circle of an oil tanker to playing very well in a World Cup for England but sof said he liked him years ago when I was adamant he was garbage so fair play (thought Tarkowski was better back then and STILL DO)

Maguire was great down the left I thought. I like how he brings the ball out and he's a threat from set pieces every time. There wasn't really anyone who did badly, to be honest. Lingard could've been more clinical but as you said on another day he scores twice at least.

Henderson did well. He still has a tendency to look sideways rather than forwards and it stunts us a bit but that could be vital against teams that carry a bit more threat than Tunisia. Same with Young, I'd be tempted to put Rose in against Panama just to keep the flow going a bit better down both sides because down the right Trippier was excellent. I was a firm believer that TAA should've been our starting right back mainly due to his ability to put good crosses into the box but Tripper's distribution was excellent last night and he's proved me wrong.

The threat of having a genuine world class goal scorer is the difference though. Kane just knows where to be in the box, the space he found for the winner was superb and he sold the goalkeeper a right one with his header too. I'd put Rose in for Young and RLC in for Alli for the Panama game (I'm assuming Alli isn't 100% and just giving him a game off against a team we should defeat with ease makes sense).

The Rosk
June 19th, 2018, 2:52 AM
Apart from Sterling and Alli I thought everyone did pretty well last night. Even at 1-1 it wouldn’t have been terrible to have actually played a decent positive game and rued a number of chances.

Rashford and RLC should start vs Panama imo. Nice to see Southgate so happy.

JP
June 19th, 2018, 3:26 AM
The difference that late goal made can't really be overstated. Instead of descending into the usual, where we focus on the poorer displays and (however justifiable it may have been) bemoan the officiating, it's now about a young team fighting to the end and getting what they deserved. Screamed myself sill when Kane got that second.

Torn
June 19th, 2018, 3:39 AM
Yeah it was huge. Amazing moment. Feels a lot different from the late goal against Wales in the Euros which was papering over the cracks.

The Rosk
June 19th, 2018, 5:04 AM
There’s so little expectation on this team for me that any good performance will be a positive and I can just sit back and enjoy. I worry how much a good team can fuck us up on the break but who cares. Just give it a go

BBF
June 19th, 2018, 5:26 AM
Agreed. Even when we were up against it last night it didn't have the same angsty feeling you usually get watching England at a tournament.

Clive Plasma
June 19th, 2018, 5:28 AM
It went from being unexpectedly impressed, to brief euphoria, descending into standard English pessimism for about 60 minutes but largely didn't care because they were giving some effort for once. How on earth some of those fouls against Kane weren't given is beyond me, it was chaos in the box.

The goal though, not jumped about like that for an England goal in a while. It was incredible. Something feels different this year, but I say that every time, but it does.... kind of.

Murphy
June 19th, 2018, 6:48 AM
First England tournament game in bloody years and years where I haven't been drinking during it. And I watched it alone. And to be fair, I saw on social media how bloody rammed our local Sports Bar was and I was pleased to not be there.

Getting old lads. Watched it with a cup of tea.

Did bloody enjoy that finish.

MikeHunt
June 19th, 2018, 8:04 AM

You'll be waiting a while

Peter Griffin
June 19th, 2018, 8:07 AM
How's Scotland getting on etc

MikeHunt
June 19th, 2018, 8:32 AM
Fine thanks apart from having the most flamible city in Europe.

HHHnFoley_Rulez
June 19th, 2018, 8:43 AM
That's the most... bizarre free kick I've seen in a long time :lol: feel bad for the Japanese keeper.

Peter Griffin
June 20th, 2018, 6:38 AM
http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/3-15-2015/6xqk-6.gif

Badger
June 20th, 2018, 12:32 PM
I expected Uruguay to do better than this so far in the cup. I hate to think what they'll be like against a decent team.

Badger
June 20th, 2018, 4:44 PM
I can't wait til all these negative defending teams get knocked out and we see real football in the ķnockouts.

Peter Griffin
June 20th, 2018, 6:05 PM
Fucking Pepe what a fanny.

Torn
June 21st, 2018, 10:03 AM
Henrik Dalsgaard MOTM

- - - Updated - - -

Can't wait to see how Daniel Arzani gets on for Australia.

This guy was infuriating, like watching how BBF used to play in clubs with his blinkers on

BBF
June 21st, 2018, 10:36 AM
This guy was infuriating, like watching how BBF used to play in clubs with his blinkers on

BB 'Best player in the team now' F

The Rosk
June 21st, 2018, 11:01 AM
/)8378£8/&£@-££@2@!2!

Tainted Eclipse
June 21st, 2018, 1:48 PM
i find keeping up with the world cup fun because it's such a big cultural event, but fuck i wish i didn't find the game so boring to watch.

Pablo Diablo
June 21st, 2018, 4:06 PM
Oh Argentina.

Also I don't agree with the pen on the handball in the aussie game.

JP
June 21st, 2018, 4:09 PM
Oh Argentina.

Also I don't agree with the pen on the handball in the aussie game.

The header was on target and his arm was in an unnatural position, they got that right.

Judas Iscariot
June 21st, 2018, 4:13 PM
AJMO VATRENI!

Pablo Diablo
June 21st, 2018, 4:17 PM
I thought it was more ball to hand instead of hand to ball personally. I guess looking at the hand again on replay now it was higher than it should be.

JP
June 21st, 2018, 4:52 PM
:yes:

He doesn't actively need to move his hand towards the ball for deliberate hand ball. Putting you hand in an unnatural position knowing the ball may strike it counts too. Up to individual referees interpretation, but the one today seemed pretty nailed on to me.

Badger
June 21st, 2018, 5:03 PM
Terrible performance from Argentina who were already dicing with death defensively in the first half, then that absolute howler from Caballero. The second from Modric was a peach though.

Badger
June 22nd, 2018, 11:06 AM
Man Brazil left that one late! Hard lines on Costa Rica.

Mik
June 22nd, 2018, 6:07 PM

That feels so false to me.

Badger
June 22nd, 2018, 6:23 PM
Harry Kane is a quality player I'll give him his due. A few times I've popped BBC Breakfast on and the media interviewing his school to ask them if they're gushing with pride looking at him now is quite embarassing.

England have a good young squad and the media overhype hasn't been as bad this time as it has been before, but it's still there. It is stil only a late winner like a few teams in this World Cup.

Peter Griffin
June 23rd, 2018, 7:18 AM
Drogba sat next to Frank :chin:

Simon
June 23rd, 2018, 1:09 PM
It's looking increasingly likely that finishing second in our group would be much better than finishing first. If everything goes as you'd expect, finishing first would have us playing Colombia and then Brazil or Germany, whereas finishing second would give us Senegal and then Mexico. Even if you dream a little and look further along, our likely semi-final opponents would be Spain or Croatia if we finished second, and Brazil/Germany or France if we finished first. Assuming we win tomorrow, the Belgium game could be really fucking weird with both teams knowing they would be better off losing.

The Rosk
June 23rd, 2018, 1:20 PM
Martinez has already said that he’s gonna rest players for the England game.

The Rosk
June 23rd, 2018, 3:02 PM
Well fuck. The Germans might be out. Christ almighty.

The Rosk
June 23rd, 2018, 3:53 PM
Of course they aren’t. Fuck me that was always going in.

JP
June 23rd, 2018, 3:57 PM
Well fuck. The Germans might be out. Christ almighty.

Jinxed that well and proper.

UK Blue
June 23rd, 2018, 4:00 PM
Fancy only having two men in the wall in that situation. And fancy the man charging the ball turning his back like a coward. Apparently avoiding getting hit by the ball front on is more important than getting your country through to the World Cup knockout stages.

The Rosk
June 23rd, 2018, 4:00 PM
That’s a Bluenose for you.

JP
June 23rd, 2018, 4:05 PM
It's really weird by the pair of them. Instead of throwing themselves full pelt in front of the ball they start off really quickly, then stop.

UK Blue
June 24th, 2018, 8:53 AM
Love that Kane has perfected the Alan Shearer penalty.

JP
June 24th, 2018, 8:53 AM
I know it’s Panama. But fuck me, this is unbelievable.

Canuck
June 24th, 2018, 8:57 AM
Is this likely to go 10? Or will England take pity?

Peter Griffin
June 24th, 2018, 8:58 AM
WWE 'Or whatever its called' ... Lineker....

https://media1.tenor.com/images/1a1b663bdab1fb3bc455ce8c0a0a96c3/tenor.gif?itemid=7320927

BBF
June 24th, 2018, 9:10 AM
Is this likely to go 10? Or will England take pity?

It'll naturally slow with the heat. 7-0 I reckon

HHHnFoley_Rulez
June 24th, 2018, 9:14 AM
Do you think Panama watched the Tunisia match and genuinely thought they could get away with the grappling? It's crazy.

Peter Griffin
June 24th, 2018, 10:05 AM
Love Franks sexy voice can't wait for his Derby pressers :shifty:

Torn
June 24th, 2018, 10:06 AM
Maybe he should actually go and manage Derby instead of holidaying in Russia, the season starts in like a month!!!

Peter Griffin
June 24th, 2018, 10:10 AM
He signed on with BBC beforehand so not much can be done...Not to worry though we have Jody to hold the fort(Training wise) He is obviously in constant contact.

UK Blue
June 27th, 2018, 11:54 AM
Nice one South Korea!

Pablo Diablo
June 27th, 2018, 12:00 PM
VAR has no heart they said.

VAR only gets things wrong.

I know it's not perfect and that's because it still relies on a referee to make a decision. But it has still got things right more than it has gotten it wrong and I'm going to stick with the opinion that it gives the ref the option to get the decision correct. If the ref is blind or chooses not to use it that's the refs fault and we still will have shit refs with or without it.

Badger
June 27th, 2018, 12:08 PM
Ahgshhahaddhaaaa!!!!

The Rosk
June 27th, 2018, 12:22 PM
Oh good God.

Chris
June 27th, 2018, 12:38 PM

I know it's not perfect and that's because it still relies on a referee to make a decision. But it has still got things right more than it has gotten it wrong and I'm going to stick with the opinion that it gives the ref the option to get the decision correct. If the ref is blind or chooses not to use it that's the refs fault and we still will have shit refs with or without it.
I agree. It’s annoying hearing some pundits get on their soapbox about VAR, when it’s really the referee who hasn’t relied on it or acted upon the information correctly.

I heard that first goal on the radio and got in to the house just in time to see the second by Son. Amazing stuff.

JP
June 27th, 2018, 12:51 PM
I don't know how to feel. It's like a dream, but real.

HHHnFoley_Rulez
June 27th, 2018, 12:54 PM
Over and Kraut (the sun tomorrow, probably)

Badger
June 27th, 2018, 1:01 PM
Over and Kraut (the sun tomorrow, probably)

I'm thinking something like Auf Weidersehen Pet

TraXX
June 27th, 2018, 3:25 PM
If you had told me before the tournament that we would go further than the Germans, and we would play better football than the likes of France and Argentina, with Harry Kane leading the charge for the Golden Boot, I would have died laughing.

You know what, I still am.

UK Blue
June 27th, 2018, 3:30 PM
You'll be crying when we lose in the last 16 to Japan.

Torn
June 27th, 2018, 6:05 PM
Still better than the LOSER Germans

Judas Iscariot
June 27th, 2018, 6:13 PM
DEUTSCHLAND
DEUTSCHLAND
UNTER ALLES

UK Blue
June 27th, 2018, 7:23 PM
I was joking of course. England are obviously winning this World Cup.

MikeHunt
June 27th, 2018, 7:32 PM
I was joking of course. England are obviously winning this World Cup.

Stuck £50 on them at the start of the tournament. Softens the blow if yous actually manage it

Torn
June 27th, 2018, 8:03 PM
Even MikeHunt is starting to believe!!

MikeHunt
June 27th, 2018, 9:07 PM
Even MikeHunt is starting to believe!!

halkfjhaskljhfahhaahahaha. I believed from the start decided not to be a lying cunt, although poland just did me out a grand for teams topping each group assuming England do the business tomorrow. If i am completely honest i assumed 1/4 finals based on the draw and England coming top but I have been extremely impressed so far by England lets hope Southgate lumps with Sterling and the sprinter does you out of the tournament. As a neutral I cannot fathom not starting Rashford for the rest of the tournament he is annoyingly good.

- - - Updated - - -

Plus Stevie G is a HUN!

Simmo Fortyone
June 27th, 2018, 9:28 PM

The main complaint behind VAR in the A-League is that it causes just as many problems as it solves. Seems to have been the case so far in the World Cup as well.

Korea. Bloody hell.

Judas Iscariot
June 27th, 2018, 10:23 PM
Was really hoping Serbia would get through in the hopes they'd eventually play Croatia and the bloodshed that would ensue among fans.

Romford Pele
June 28th, 2018, 3:26 AM
Always good to see Thomas Muller upset. Such a dickhead.

Simon
June 28th, 2018, 4:09 AM
Why does everyone hate Muller so much? I've never known him to do anything notably bad but everyone despises him? Is it just because yue looks so utterly German?

- - - Updated - - -

Was really hoping Serbia would get through in the hopes they'd eventually play Croatia and the bloodshed that would ensue among fans.

Wait for a potential Portugal vs Argentina match in the quarters.

Ringo
June 28th, 2018, 4:34 AM
Yeah Müller comes across as a really likeable chap if you hear what he has to say in interviews. Bizarre choice of player to direct abuse towards.

Also, VAR has been fantastic and I love it.

Simon
June 28th, 2018, 5:17 AM
It's not just Romford though, we were watching the game on one of the TVs at uni and all the people watching got special enjoyment out of the close-up of Muller after.

I don't think VAR has been perfect - I understand that it's going to have teething problems, but the idea that referees were watching the games with the benefit of replays and didn't give penalties to Kane and Mitrovic simply doesn't make any sense, FIFA need to come out and explain why VAR is used in some circumstances but not others because those two in particular are simply not up for debate, they were objectively penalties - but yesterday was a fantastic advert for why it has to exist. Potentially that Korea goal getting disallowed could have changed everything, and within a minute or so justice was served.

Peter Griffin
June 28th, 2018, 5:18 AM
Always good to see Thomas Muller upset. Such a dickhead.

Based on what?

Romford Pele
June 28th, 2018, 8:07 AM
Yeah Müller comes across as a really likeable chap if you hear what he has to say in interviews. Bizarre choice of player to direct abuse towards.

Also, VAR has been fantastic and I love it.

I haven't seen him in interviews on fairness, just the way he comes across on the pitch.

MikeHunt
June 28th, 2018, 8:16 AM
I haven't seen him in interviews on fairness, just the way he comes across on the pitch.

haha, come on. Neymar, Ronaldo, Pepe, Ramos ect ect ect ect are all wankers when they are playing. I have genuinely never seen Muller be a cunt ever.

Clutch
June 28th, 2018, 9:10 AM
Casual fan here, on the radio it said that both Belgium and England want to lose to each other today because of seeding effects into the round of 16. Is it indeed a much softer ride for either if they finish second in their group?

Murphy
June 28th, 2018, 9:17 AM
Yeah, well, basically, if we win the group, we likely face Brazil in the quarter finals.

I think England will go for it more tonight than Belgium will.

BBF
June 28th, 2018, 9:24 AM
In theory, yes.

Whoever tops the group will be on the same side of the draw as Argentina, France, Uruguay, Brazil, Portugal, Mexico and one of Colombia/Japan/Senegal. Whoever finishes second will be with Croatia, Spain, Russia, Denmark, Sweden, Switzerland and one of Colombia/Japan/Senegal. England will definitely face one of those 3 in the next round depending on how both groups finish.

So yeah in theory the second place finish would represent as easier route to the final but its by no means guaranteed. I think we're better than Sweden or Switzerland (who we would face in the quarter finals if we advance that far) so a semi final place is realistic, especially if we end up playing Japan or Senegal (who I also think we should beat) but we're not as good as either Spain or Croatia (the most likely semi final opponents) so I wouldn't expect us to make it that far.

There are also other things to consider there too. With the 'weaker' teams on the one side of the draw, they will all fancy their chances of making a run to the final and up their games accordingly. There is also the massive assumption that we'd be good enough to beat those teams. We haven't really been tested defensively yet (but still looked a bit shit against both Tunisia and Panama at times) and would have to overcome a history of not performing (I think the stat is that we've won 6 knockout games in total since we won the trophy in 66) so its by no means a foregone conclusion. There is also a lot to be said about momentum in cup knockout competitions and a win against Belgium would mean we're 3 wins from 3 which could be a major positive as we enter the 'harder' games.

If we keep going with the quick starts and get a little bit of luck then I could see us making the semi's/final but I don't think it truly matters which side of the draw we're on.

Canuck
June 28th, 2018, 11:49 AM
I think (if things stay as they are now) I'd much rather go for the win and play Senegal over Columbia, even if it means taking the harder side of the draw.

BBF
June 28th, 2018, 11:56 AM
It would be Japan not Senegal. They've qualified on fair play.

Canuck
June 28th, 2018, 1:30 PM
Ah, so they have. Senegal was ahead in the table this morning. I assumed all tie breakers were accounted for.

Now I would definitely want to win.

Judas Iscariot
June 28th, 2018, 1:50 PM
If the fair play tiebreaker is tied, what's the next one in line?

Edit: drawing lots. Nothing else you can really do there.

Badger
June 28th, 2018, 2:18 PM
Perhqps betting on a 0-0 draw was a little cynical of me because these B squads are really going for it to be fair.

Badger
June 28th, 2018, 3:09 PM
Good strike! :yes:

Donald
June 28th, 2018, 3:23 PM
Even better spare

Canuck
June 28th, 2018, 3:26 PM
Not convinced courtois has touched that. Rashford out.

MikeHunt
June 28th, 2018, 3:58 PM
Now its time for the good stuff.

Japan were a disgrace earlier and should be fucked out the tournament for that pish.

Now we have got to the KO stage whos everyones pick to win? I'm going to go with a Brazil/Croatia final with Brazil just edging the final. England out in the semis.

Badger
June 28th, 2018, 4:02 PM
Now its time for the good stuff.

Japan were a disgrace earlier and should be fucked out the tournament for that pish.

Now we have got to the KO stage whos everyones pick to win? I'm going to go with a Brazil/Croatia final with Brazil just edging the final. England out in the semis.

Brazil, they always find a way to win when it matters recently.

If Iruguay can turn on the afterburners, they could go far. Looking forward to Cavani vs Ronaldo in the next round.

Donald
June 28th, 2018, 4:03 PM
France - Mexico and England - Spain in the semi finals

France - Spain in the finals, Spain to win.

Percussion
June 28th, 2018, 4:08 PM
Final 4-

France
Belgium
Croatia
England

Belgium over Croatia in the final.

Judas Iscariot
June 28th, 2018, 5:01 PM
Congrats on losing, England.

AJMO VATRENI

Ringo
June 28th, 2018, 5:10 PM
Belgium/Croatia would be a great final. Two countries with small populations who have never been to a world cup final but have managed to produce a number of world class players at the same time as of late. What an achievement for either of them it'd be to win it.

MikeHunt
June 28th, 2018, 7:12 PM
Don't watch a lot of English football anymore is Dier actually shit or was it just tonight?

Gary J
June 28th, 2018, 7:53 PM
Portugal / Brazil and Croatia / England being the other semi.

I think it will be a Croatia Portugal final with Croatia winning.

Romford Pele
June 29th, 2018, 2:18 AM
Colombia will be a tough game. Their front 4 look very, very good.

BBF
June 29th, 2018, 2:40 AM
Don't watch a lot of English football anymore is Dier actually shit or was it just tonight?

Dier is everything people say Henderson is

Romford Pele
June 29th, 2018, 2:51 AM
Someone just sent three lions from youtube. Dammit, I watched it and am now optimistic!

Man Euro 96 was incredibe.

MikeHunt
June 29th, 2018, 4:37 AM
Dier is everything people say Henderson is

So he's shite then.

Badger
June 29th, 2018, 1:29 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44658757

"Referees called 95% of the incidents correctly without VAR." Interesting statement.

Badger
June 30th, 2018, 10:13 AM
Christ Rojo.

Badger
June 30th, 2018, 10:42 AM
Holy fucking shit, goal ofvthe tournament!

Canuck
June 30th, 2018, 10:51 AM
Di Maria?

Badger
June 30th, 2018, 11:17 AM
That one's not bad either. What a game this is!

Percussion
June 30th, 2018, 11:17 AM

Even if it were, it ain't now.

Canuck
June 30th, 2018, 11:20 AM
Argentina are so dirty.

JP
June 30th, 2018, 11:26 AM
The keeper moved his foot out of the way of the strike. :lol:

Badger
June 30th, 2018, 11:28 AM
Mbappe is quality!

StevieV
June 30th, 2018, 11:30 AM
Great game. Shambolic defending.

Percussion
June 30th, 2018, 2:13 PM
2 man game some 20-40 yards apart the whole time. Wow.

This fucking tournament, man.

Badger
June 30th, 2018, 3:00 PM
*clutches back of head despite not being touched there at all*

Suarez why do you have to be such a fanny?

Badger
June 30th, 2018, 3:22 PM
Sweet as a nut from Cavani!

Chris
June 30th, 2018, 3:24 PM
Lovely finish by Cavani. Some great goals today - couldn’t have asked for a better start to the knockout round.

Badger
June 30th, 2018, 3:52 PM
Lovely finish by Cavani. Some great goals today - couldn’t have asked for a better start to the knockout round.

Indeed, some amazing stuff today.

Apart from failing to mark Pepe for the goal and surviving the keeper spilling the balk, Uruguay have done an amazing job defensively and Ronaldo's hardly had a sniff at goal all night.

Hope Cavani will be okay.

Hero!
June 30th, 2018, 3:58 PM
Fuck.

UK Blue
June 30th, 2018, 4:05 PM
Bye Ronaldo, you massive cunt.

Badger
June 30th, 2018, 4:10 PM
Portugal, Argentina and Germany all out before the quarters. Amazing!

MikeHunt
June 30th, 2018, 5:49 PM

Wrong...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DRVxBnVimY

Badger
June 30th, 2018, 6:02 PM
Wrong...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DRVxBnVimY

Forgot about that one. :yes:

Judas Iscariot
June 30th, 2018, 6:59 PM
What the fuck is the Serb defender doing falling down?

Canuck
June 30th, 2018, 7:00 PM
Still Nacho for me I think.

JP
July 1st, 2018, 10:16 AM
That's annoying, as that's game already over, and all thanks to some cynical, shite defending getting what it deserved.

Pablo Diablo
July 1st, 2018, 10:41 AM
Pique hand flailing above his head has made it a game again.

JP
July 1st, 2018, 10:42 AM
Well bloody hell.

TraXX
July 1st, 2018, 10:44 AM
Nailed on penalty. Can't claim the arm was in the air for leaverage when you were naturally bringing it down before throwing it back up.

Grimario
July 1st, 2018, 11:52 AM
FFS. I'm so tired. Why couldn't they have shot once every 100 passes or so?

Grimario
July 1st, 2018, 12:41 PM
Akinfeev, what a hero.

Pablo Diablo
July 1st, 2018, 12:42 PM
De Gea should have saved a couple of those himself. Shite keeper, Madrid shouldn't go for him...

Badger
July 1st, 2018, 12:43 PM
Adios Spain and your tippy tappy boring game.

TraXX
July 1st, 2018, 12:43 PM
What a result.

Just gobsmacked.

JP
July 1st, 2018, 12:44 PM
Fucking hell.

Sorry to be that person, but our side of the draw now, fuccccccckkkkk!

Pablo Diablo
July 1st, 2018, 12:44 PM
Spain, Argentina, Portugal and Germany all out already. Anyone's cup. (Not that I thought Argentina or Portugal were favourites mind)

Grimario
July 1st, 2018, 12:45 PM
Fucking hell.

Sorry to be that person, but our side of the draw now, fuccccccckkkkk!

Just fucking win it.

JP
July 1st, 2018, 12:48 PM
Russia, Croatia, Denmark, Switzerland, Sweden, Colombia or England will be playing in a World Cup Final.

Fuuuuuuuuccccccckkkk!!!!

Grimario
July 1st, 2018, 12:49 PM
Denmark please. Then I win my WC sweep.

Badger
July 1st, 2018, 2:03 PM
Fucking hell! x 2

Romford Pele
July 1st, 2018, 2:18 PM
Ah ahaha up yours Ramos. Got that cunt deserved that. This World Cup keeps on giving, Germany out, Argies out, Ronaldo and Ramos crying. Glorious

England will fuck it up but love it

The Rosk
July 2nd, 2018, 4:35 AM
This may be an obvious statement, but I think this game vs Colombia is arguably the most important for England aside from the final (if we get there). There's been a lot of undue shit thrown about in the media given the Belgium "throwing", and so the pressure on them to sail through now given the apparently easier run to the final will be staggering. If we beat Colombia then they will know that they can beat a team under this pressure, and the team mentality will be strong. This side of the draw will basically be decided of who can take the heat, physically and mentally. Nothing to really differ everyone in the grouping.

Countless times we've seen the mental toughness of an England side be a big reason as to why we've fallen to similar/lesser sides at the knockout stages. Colombia will be fighting for everything and we haven't got past anybody special yet, so this will be a real test of his big the England bollocks actually are. If only we had Super Jack Grealish in the squad.

Peter Griffin
July 2nd, 2018, 3:10 PM
:panic:

UK Blue
July 2nd, 2018, 3:10 PM
GO ON JAPAN

Chris
July 2nd, 2018, 3:11 PM
What a strike!

TraXX
July 2nd, 2018, 3:11 PM
Fucking hell!